The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Dutch Royals > Prince Friso and Princess Mabel and family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 09:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

^ Thank you my dear Lucien (which BTW is my husband's grandfather's name). None the less, a tragedy for the family already, regardless of when he actually is taken off the life support. Poor wife, parents and children!

Old 11-19-2012, 09:25 AM
Majesty

Must say I am very very moved,really am,by the news bulletin today by the RVD Government Information Service that as of late Prince Friso shows slight signs of conscousness,known as minimal conscousness.The prognoses however remains uncertain and it will take months to actually have more certainty.

It is an unusual step by the RVD to issue this statement as they've always stressed they would only bring out statements in case of significant changes.This is but a minor change,and still it moves...As the communique says...Nothing is certain yet on any real improvement,that will take many more months,for the RF,and for this forum.Experience hasit that situations like these alter for the worst sooner then for the best.Keep him in your prayers and thoughts.

Princess Mabel says that this is the most difficult period in her life but that her love for Friso,the support of the family,friends and all those who have shown they care carry her through this awfull time,and she thanks everyone wholeheartedly,again.

The news was issued one hour ago at 13.30PM local time,GMT+1

Old 11-19-2012, 09:26 AM
Aristocracy

Prince shows signs of minimal consciousness

The Dutch Government Information Service just announced that Prince Friso shows occasional signs of minimal consciousness.
His doctors are still very worried about his situation and it can still take months before there is clarity about his future prospects.
Princess Mabel again thanked for all the support she is receiving.

I know he will never be the same Friso again but I am very happy for Prince Friso and his family.
A lot is still uncertain but I am much more hopeful now!!!
Old 11-19-2012, 10:39 AM
Heir Presumptive

I hope for him and his family that it will come to a good end. Today evening I will light a candle for them.
I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:09 PM
Courtier

I just heard the news on the radio.
I hope that this is the beginning of more good news.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:32 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I am not so sure if this is good news actuallly. According to a neuro surgeon interviewed by the NOS, he didn't know of any case where a patient in this state actually woke up.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:45 PM
Commoner

These movements are often reflexes and not a deliberate movement by choice of the person, in this case Prince Friso.

Sadly this is still a very tragic case, with no probable good outcome in the long run!

For Princess Mabel is must be tearing her up.... I feel so for her and of course the 2 girls (but then they probably dont really understand the implications - still too young). Obviously Queen Beatrix too, very hard for her...

Wish all much strength going forward.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:41 PM
Heir Apparent

i wonder what a state of minimal conciousness actually means. in any case, it obviously seems like an improvement although i guess it adds up to the uncertainty the family is suffering, particularly if they are debating taking him out of life support.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 11-19-2012, 02:57 PM
Courtier

Minimally conscious state - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
i guess it's all quite complex, but at least this offers some hope of a little more recovery than 'vegetative state'...
But at least this will end all talk of turning off life-support..
Old 11-19-2012, 08:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

Let's pray it is the start of a beautiful improvement !
Old 11-19-2012, 08:31 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

From Wikipedia article on MCS:
Quote:
...Those with minimally conscious state and non-traumatic brain injuries have a better chance of recovery than those with traumatic brain injuries while those in vegetative states have an all around lower to minimal chance of recovery.
Quote:
Out of the 100 patients studied,3 patients fully recovered (had a DRS score of 0). These 3 patients were diagnosed with MCS and had suffered from traumatic brain injuries.
However unlikely, there is a chance Prince Friso's condition will improve, and I'm sure that's a hope his loved ones are clinging to.
MCS is actually a huge improvement because, from what I understand, now there is a hope where there wasn't one when the Prince was in vegetative state.

Although MCS is mostly regarded as a positive sign for those with non-traumatic brain injuries, even with traumatic brain injuries (as in case of Prince Friso), there is still a chance. Not of full recovery - that would be nothing short of a miracle - but of some improvement.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:58 PM
Serene Highness

Let's hope for a miracle. In these dark days (war, economy) a miracle would do the world good!
Old 11-19-2012, 09:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucien View Post
Must say I am very very moved,really am,by the news bulletin today by the RVD Government Information Service that as of late Prince Friso shows slight signs of conscousness,known as minimal conscousness.The prognoses however remains uncertain and it will take months to actually have more certainty.

It is an unusual step by the RVD to issue this statement as they've always stressed they would only bring out statements in case of significant changes.This is but a minor change,and still it moves...As the communique says...Nothing is certain yet on any real improvement,that will take many more months,for the RF,and for this forum.Experience hasit that situations like these alter for the worst sooner then for the best.Keep him in your prayers and thoughts.

Princess Mabel says that this is the most difficult period in her life but that her love for Friso,the support of the family,friends and all those who have shown they care carry her through this awfull time,and she thanks everyone wholeheartedly,again.

The news was issued one hour ago at 13.30PM local time,GMT+1
Thank you, Lucien. These situations are not good. Many times, they evolved into more critical situations. Sort of the beginning of the end. Those who think that he is coming into the the "light" so to speak, are folling themselves. Princess Mabel knows this, from her comments.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:50 AM
Nobility

For someone like me to be in this type of situation with my own father. I feel bad for the family and hope that his two little girls will be better than ever in their lives.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:34 PM
Serene Highness

Thanks to those who have shared this news w/all of us. From the little I understand of this type of a situation, while there's always hope, it does sound like the beginning of the end sadly. If Princess Mabel's statement had more of an optimistic tone to it, I wouldn't be thinking this, but it just doesn't sound good at all.

I can't even begin to know just how hard it's going to be for Mabel, the girls and the entire DRF this coming Christmas. Especially for Mabel trying to give the girls as good a Christmas as she can under the circumstances. My heart just goes out to her. :(
Old 11-21-2012, 10:43 PM
Serene Highness

Such a tragedy, I cannot even begin to think what the family is going through. I cannot help but wonder how much longer they're going to let him "live" like this. The decision is ultimately theirs, and it must be heartbreaking.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:50 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
i wonder what a state of minimal conciousness actually means. in any case, it obviously seems like an improvement although i guess it adds up to the uncertainty the family is suffering, particularly if they are debating taking him out of life support.
It is not a sign of improvement at any rate!!!It is just that some reflexes set in...That is all there is to it.Normal in simular situations.Nothing more.
I don't know what got in to the RVD to blabber this out...It is typical tho,and understandeble in a way,that those close hold on to any last straw at any time...That is what it is...and that is all the sadder,actually.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:58 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Perhaps they wanted to correct the statement of bisshop Tutu that the prince reacts to Princess Mabel?
Old 11-22-2012, 08:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
It is not a sign of improvement at any rate!!!It is just that some reflexes set in...That is all there is to it.Normal in simular situations.Nothing more.
I don't know what got in to the RVD to blabber this out...It is typical tho,and understandeble in a way,that those close hold on to any last straw at any time...That is what it is...and that is all the sadder,actually.
So understandable and so so sad
Old 11-28-2012, 07:58 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Of course it is a sign of improvement, as little as it may be.
It is a "medically significant change" and that's why the RF made an official announcement (according to the press release, News - Het Koninklijk Huis).

MCS is more than "just reflexes setting in". Please see the Wikipedia article:
Quote:
Although MCS patients are able to demonstrate cognitively mediated behavior, they occur inconsistently. They are, however, reproducible or can be sustained long enough to be differentiated from reflexive behavior....
One of the defining characteristics of minimally conscious state is the more continuous improvement and significantly more favorable outcomes post injury when compared with vegetative state.
It's difficult to diagnose MCS and I think the doctors and the royal family waited until they were sure about the diagnosis before they went public with it.

The prognosis (fore-seeing, predicting the outcome) is - of course - still uncertain. His condition might get better, it might stay as it is now or it might get worse again. All his family can do is to hope.

Tags
accident, health problems, prince friso, princess mabel, queen beatrix