Prince Friso in Critical Condition Following Skiing Accident: February 17, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a family holiday, you can't really have one of those without all the family. Most, if not all, the reigning royal families holiday together out of their own country.

I don't think that's really true. The British certainly don't all vacation or travel together. The Danes generally leave at least one person at home to act as regent. I don't think I've ever seen the entire Belgian, Norwegian, or Spanish RFs outside their countries at once, either.

The Swedes used to vacation together, but that's about it. Maybe the Luxembourg family. too.

Also Princess Margriet is home. If something, God forbid, happens, it's not like noone from the royal family is around.

Will there be another press conference tomorrow? Even if there is no fresh news that would go someway in stopping the press from speculating.

I don't think that's really true. The British certainly don't all vacation or travel together. The Danes generally leave at least one person at home to act as regent. I don't think I've ever seen the entire Belgian, Norwegian, or Spanish RFs outside their countries at once, either.

Its not uncommon to see H.M.the Queen travel abroad with TRH the Crown Prince & Princess,they often accompany Her Majesty on State Visits,most recently to the U.A.E.

The Queen's sister,Princess Margriet is to the best of my knowledge still in the Netherlands.

The Swedes used to vacation together, but that's about it. Maybe the Luxembourg family. too.

The majority of the British royal family, including HM, Prince Charles and Prince William used to vacation on the Britannia. Recently they were all together, travelling to Scotland for Princess Anne's 60th I believe. The travelling bit is the dangerous part of course. Charles and William, and Harry even often vacation together skiing. The Danes were all in France together this summer I believe, Benedikte I assume was at home but that's the whole family out of the country. The Norwegian Crown Princely Family vacation for 3 months abroad was it, November 2010 until January 2011 I believe and they travelled worldwide.

As family's get older they vacation less together, but this family seems close enough to still holiday all together, which is fantastic. There is nothing like a family holiday and particularly royal families shouldn't be begrudged taking one.

In times of crisis a family needs to be together for comfort and support, for example this instance where the royal family are all out of the country I believe now.

It is a great thought to travel the family all together and to get in a vaction al together cousins they have to time play between eachother and the adults to catch up, but this is possible only if a damilly all memebers can afford it! not possible for theavaraes familes!
So sad the accident happen in a holiday like this, hope he is getting well soon! my prayers with his and the family! I can't imagine the state of his wife and kids!

I just heard the news. I pray he's able to recover completely.

How is the mood on the street and the coverage in the media in the Netherlands tonight?

I can easily imagine the media coverage where they have mobilized every imaginable expert to say something, - anything.
And gangs of camera crews roaming the streets asking everyone and everything what they feel.
- Or is the coverage actually dignified?

What is the word on the street? Are everyone talking about the same thing or is it a general "let's hope the best" and then quietly moving on?
Where I live, we're having Carnaval for the coming three/four days so in general, no one really gives a sh.t at the moment here because everybody is busy getting drunk. (I'm not, sadly. I'm heading to Austria to ski ON the slopes, not off them) Don't know about the upper-regions, but I'm almost certain most people feel for them, but not the kind of moment where you remember were you where at that moment. But ofcourse, the media is on it.

Prince Johan of the Netherlands was under the snow 15-20 min because of an avalanche and he was then taken to the hospital in Austria where his mother, queen Beatrix, brother willem Alexander and wife princess mabel went to go see him but he did not die. Thank goodness .
May he make a good recovery and feel well soon

From AP

Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte, in comments carried by NOS radio, said he had told the queen and the prince's wife that "the whole Dutch people sympathizes with them very intensely."
"The situation is that the prince is stable, but his life not yet out of danger, and (in) the coming days, the expectation is that further prognoses will follow."
"There's nothing more (to say) than that the best doctors are there," he said. "Austria naturally has very good medical care, we are fully confident in them — but further we really just have to wait."

Has there been any other "official" governmental or royal statement issued?

Moeizame reis voor Oranjes - Binnenland | Het laatste nieuws uit Nederland leest u op Telegraaf.nl [binnenland]

The plane carrying the Crown Prince, Prince Constantijn, and their families was diverted to Switzerland because of bad weather and can't continue on to Austria at this point. (This is what I meant about riskiness.)

But regardless, I hope they can get to the hospital quickly. I'm sure it's awful for them wondering how their brother is doing.

To Patra,yes there has but as the Princes situation is still severe and life treatening official statements have been kept to a minimum as it will take a couple of days to sort the fysical & mental diagnosis & tests out.

The Government Information Service made an official announcement on behalve of HM The Queen,I posted that I think on page 2 or 3 of this thread.

Kalnel,has nothing to do with "riskyness" whatshoweever.It's not risky to land in Switserland then it is anywhere else in Western Europe.

The aircraft made a stop in Brussels to pick-up other members of the family there too and was destined for Sankt Gallen all the time and it arrived there at 21.00PM this evening.By landing there they avoided the press and anyone else unseen regardless what the "Telegraaf" says...of all papers..and I hate the paper referring to HRH Princess Mabel as plain Mabel Wisse Smit,awfull press crapule in this case...who do they think they are!!..:whistling:.

The Family often travels together,we do not have austere measures in that case,no need too.We have "back-up copies" in case of the unthinkable and don't get hyped up before,gawd forbid!!!!

Meanwhile the Princess and their families have arrived in Lech too.

As for the mood "on the street" ,yes,people are all talking about it,and there is a general genuine outpoor of sympathy towards the Prince,his wife and children and HM The Queen and all other members of the RF,yes.Plus several carnaval celebrations will be notched down and government ministers who where invited and due to attend all sorts of carnaval celebrations have all cancelled due to the situation of the Prince and thus the RF.So yes,it does have an impact.Thank goodness there's still a shimmer of hope.God help Friso pull through!

There are 2 million Dutch in all levels of society who left or will leave for their annual winter holidays either here or abroad today and this weekend.

Last edited:
A few more details.

When Prince Friso was buried by the avalanche, the alarm went out. A helicopter arrived either with or along side a rescue team.
They were told that one had been buried and formed a line. Because Johan Friso wore a beeper, the rescue team was able to find him within 20 minutes.
A doctor started treating him the moment he was found.

Doctors at the hospital have been quoted for saying that it will be a few days before thay can come out with a prognosis.

- That's an impressive short response time by any standard!
But a scull fracture combined with the weight of half a metre of snow? And the fact that the doctors only declare him stable but critical, and there is no mentioning of him being consious. - That does sound like a coma.
I fear there is every reason for pessimism, not so much that he might die but rather that he might suffer from some sort of brain damage.
An avalanche will not bury you under half a meter of snow. He was buried under 40 meters of snow. The avalanche "airbags" that his companion used will keep you on top of the snow and give you a much better chance of surviving.

Just saw this on Twitter I can't believe it! I'm sure Prince Friso is receiving the very best medical care. I hope he shows signs of recovery soon. This reminds me of Natasha Richardson being injured while skiing and her family being flown in.

Never good to be under the snow that long and have to be resuscitated. Critical but stable implies his vital signs are stable, but it will be a while before anyone has any idea, I would think, as to his overall prognosis. The "critical" part may refer to the fact that he's not yet conscious - or even in a medically induced coma.

He is young, though, he has that going for him. It's very sad.

Thank you for your accounts, Lucien and Empress Merel.

An avalanche will not bury you under half a meter of snow. He was buried under 40 meters of snow. The avalanche "airbags" that his companion used will keep you on top of the snow and give you a much better chance of surviving.

The articles stated clearly that he had been buried beneath half a meter of snow. The avalanche itself covered an area of 30 X 40 meters.

Had he been buried beneath 40 meters of snow he would have been stone dead! And it would have taken hours before they would have dug his body out.
Half a meter may not sound like much, but it's enough to suffocate you, by blocking you nose and mouth, especially if you are knocked unconsious.
The weight of snow can also restrict your breathing, simply due to the pressure on your ribcage, even if consious.
You try bury yourself under half a meter of snow, and you'll discover how difficult it is to breathe. Especially if it's wet snow.

Last edited:
So sad to hear this - I hope he makes a full recovery!

Thoughts are with the family! :sad:

Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this on Yahoo Canada earlier this afternoon. It's my homepage and I always do a quick scan of the headlines before going to my "go to" sites/message boards online. As soon as I saw that headline though, I headed straight here for more information.

This does not sound at all good. Thoughts and prayers are w/the Family tonight. :eek:(

No,he is not,and not for days to come,his situation is critical and he is still fighting for his life.

The government aircraft KBX shortly before take-off this evening from Amsterdam Schiphol for Brussels and Sankt Gallen:

ANP Photo

courtesy Toissant Kluiters

I know the pics have been posted already but just in case one didn't have the time or couldn't move his/her finger I posted it here again,yes Tommy,I see everything....It's my job

Last edited:
Thank you for your accounts, Lucien and Empress Merel.

The articles stated clearly that he had been buried beneath half a meter of snow. The avalanche itself covered an area of 30 X 40 meters.

Had he been buried beneath 40 meters of snow he would have been stone dead! And it would have taken hours before they would have dug his body out.
Half a meter may not sound like much, but it's enough to suffocate you, by blocking you nose and mouth, especially if you are knocked unconsious.
The weight of snow can also restrict your breathing, simply due to the pressure on your ribcage, even if consious.
You try bury yourself under half a meter of snow, and you'll discover how difficult it is to breathe. Especially if it's wet snow.
I stand corrected!

Perhaps when we go into a new page of the thread, someone could post the latest information and the time it was posted at in the first post of the new page? That way someone who has just come into the thread after hearing the news for the first time or looking for an update after waking up the next day doesn't have to go searching back for information.

Just an idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no new information at present other then what was said earlyer in the evening and that is that it will take at least 4 days before a proper diagnosis can & will be given.Meanwhile the brothers of Friso and their families have arrived in Lech as has HM and the Princess Mabel to be with their children Luana and Zaria during the night but will be back at the hospital first thing tomorrow morning as will all senior dutch Royals.

Their won't be any more statements other then one tomorrow morning on how the Princes condition was overnight and the same repeated again and again as the real prognosis follows after 3 to four days,unfortunately.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just saw this on Twitter I can't believe it! I'm sure Prince Friso is receiving the very best medical care. I hope he shows signs of recovery soon.

This also is extremely stressfull and traumatic almost to Princess Mabel as her father fell through the ice here one winter while skating and drowned.

http://www.koninklijkhuis.nl/

The reaction on the Royal House website stating that a prognoses can only be given within a few days and that his condition is stabile but still life treatening.

Last edited:
Prayers going up for Prince Friso and his family! May he get well soon!

Read the previous posts please,thats why they were posted here anyway.

No,he is not,and not for days to come,his situation is critical and he is still fighting for his life.

The government aircraft KBX shortly before take-off this evening from Amsterdam Schiphol for Brussels and Sankt Gallen:

ANP Photo

courtesy Toissant Kluiters

Perhaps if you had read the previous messages you would have known these pictures had already been posted.

I hope the Prince makes as quick a recovery as possible, it must be a terrible time for the family!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom