Prince Louis and Princess Tessy to Divorce: January 18, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In most countries of the Continent no reason is needed at all. Like no reason is needed to engage in marriage, no one needs to have a reason to divorce. It is quite astonishing that anno 2017 two adults have to give a reason to end their marriage. None of the business of the State, I would say.

That's just not true - you can't just get a divorce for no reason. The wording may be different, some countries don't apportion fault but you have to have a reason.

Last edited:
Honestly whilst it sounds bad it really is just down to the legal terminology in the UK. Its so common to hear 'unreasonable behaviour' as a reason for a divorce as its the easiest reason that can be given without just waiting 2 years. Equally one party is always going to have to say is the others unreasonable behaviour and often it is the husbands simply because it has to be someones.

If you read about any notable persons divorce in the UK you will probably notice the same reason given.

That's just not true - you can't just get a divorce for no reason. The wording may be different, some countries don't apportion fault but you have to have a reason.

The reason is that the marriage apparently no longer is sustainable. But in countries as Sweden, the Benelux-countries, Australia, Germany, etc. a "fault" is not relevant at all. Like the couple did not need to inform the State about the reason to engage in marriage, they do not need a reason either to end said marriage, which seems pretty logical to me.

The UK has one of the highest divorce rates, so the outdated "who's fault?"-question seems no any hindrance anyway for the British to divorce en masse.

Last edited:
The reason is that the marriage apparently no longer is sustainable. But in countries as Sweden, the Benelux-countries, Australia, Germany, etc. a "fault" is not relevant at all. Like the couple did not need to inform the State about the reason to engage in marriage, they do not need a reason either to end said marriage, which seems pretty logical to me.

The UK has one of the highest divorce rates, so the outdated "who's fault?"-question seems no any hindrance anyway for the British to divorce en masse.

Indeed - it's just legal jargon.

I find it interesting they are going through the English courts rather than the Luxembourg ones - is it quicker this way?

The are both residents of London, so to do it with London-based lawyers at a London Court seems handy to me, but that is just a guess.

According to guichet.public.lu , the legal database of the Grand Duchy, a Scheidung (divorce) can -without grounds or faults- be requested when both spouses are "beiterseitigem einvernehmen" in both-sided free and unforced will to end the marriage.

Last edited:
The are both residents of London, so to do it with London-based lawyers at a London Court seems handy to me, but that is just a guess.

According to guichet.public.lu , the legal database of the Grand Duchy, a Scheidung (divorce) can -without grounds or faults- be requested when both spouses are "beiterseitigem einvernehmen" in both-sided free and unforced will to end the marriage.

Interesting - thanks.

Well, I admit I am kind of surprised.:cool:

It took a relatively long time for Tessy to be granted the title in the first place. I thought she had sufficiently established herself in the affections of TRH Henri and M-T that they would allow her to remain at least Princess Tessy if not HRH after the divorce, and that they would opt to have her remain with her title to recognize her role as the mother of the two little princes.

But I guess this is going to be true fresh start for her after all. I am quite certain that they would have discussed this with her weeks ago, and (hopefully) there are no hard feelings.

Last edited:
Tessy Antony is no Princess in her own right. She was married to Son Altesse Royale le prince Louis de Luxembourg, prince de Nassau, prince de Bourbon de Parme and therefore could by styled by her husband's titles as is the social custom, after the Grand-Duke's approval.

With the end of said marriage, logically this situation ends and Ms Antony reverts to the style before her marriage. The situations with Diana and Sarah (UK) and Alexandra (DK) show that keeping a title can result in undesired effects, even decades after the marriage.

Alexandra was created Countess Frederiksborg but already separated her second marriage and maybe will marry a third time. Tessy is so young. Younger than any other royal divorcee. She has a whole life to go. She will undoubtedly find a new relation, have more children. I think it is better to end princessendom indeed and not keep her with a royal title for 70 more years.

Despite house rules and such, Tessy’s title has been confusing so I appreciate any attempt at consistency. However, I wouldn't be surprised if GD Henri grants her a lesser title later (maybe after decree absolute) and continue inconsistency.

I’m optimistic relations between Tessy Antony and the GDF will be amicable. MT and Tessy have similar interests and work. Prince Jean’s ex-wife Hélène Vestur is still included in various family events.

I'm glad actually.

Giving even a lesser title isn't something I like or would allow. If someone doesn't have a title in their own right, if they want out, they should get out and expect nothing from their former in-laws. Henri shouldn't give her a title since she is owed nothing by that family.

With the end of said marriage, logically this situation ends and Ms Antony reverts to the style before her marriage. The situations with Diana and Sarah (UK) and Alexandra (DK) show that keeping a title can result in undesired effects, even decades after the marriage.

You know you're right. I think it prevents the ex from moving on in life like they should and it can cause confusion if there is a second wife who might resent sharing the title, despite the differences (like Fergie not retaining the HRH).

I have given it more thought and I agree with Duc et Pair, especially the point about her young age and the possibility of a second marriage and children.

A Royal title would complicate things.

As sad as it is, I wish both Tessy and Louis the best.

The majority assumption seems to be that she would want to retain the title. We don't know her wishes in the matter. For myself, I'd find the title cumbersome when trying to marry someone new and forge a different life, as some have mentioned (Duc et Pair and Moonmaiden). If she's trying to move on from unpleasantness, the less baggage the better imo. :cool:

I'll be interested to see who marries first. It sounds like there has possibly been an informal separation in effect for a while. Why go for divorce now? Never know who might be in the wings.

Last edited:
Luxarazzi: It's Official: No Title for Tessy

It is important to note based on some of the comments we have received that these changes to her title and status happened when the decree nisi was granted late last week as the Family Bylaws state, "In case of a legal separation, a divorce or remarriage after death, the wives lose the style and title conferred upon them." It would be hard to argue that a decree nisi, in fact, isn't a legal separation.
The terminology used in the Bylaws is "Ehetrennung (séparation de corps)".

Mémorial B n° 51 de 2012 - Legilux

A séparation de corps in Luxembourg appears to be dissimilar to a decree nisi in Britain.

A decree nisi is a document that says that the court doesn’t see any reason why you can’t divorce.
The decree absolute is the legal document that ends your marriage.
You need to wait at least 6 weeks after the date of the decree nisi before you can apply for a decree absolute.

http://www.gov.uk/divorce/apply-for-decree-nisi
http://www.gov.uk/divorce/apply-for-a-decree-absolute
Les époux qui souhaitent se séparer, mais qui ne veulent pas déjà divorcer, peuvent opter pour une séparation de corps.
Les époux séparés de corps ne sont plus tenus de résider ensemble, mais les autres devoirs et obligations du mariage, comme la fidélité et le secours entre époux, subsistent.
Lorsque la séparation de corps aura duré 3 ans, chaque époux pourra demander au tribunal la conversion de la séparation de corps en divorce.

Divorce - séparation - La Justice // Luxembourg - Famille

Last edited:
Tessy Antony is no Princess in her own right. She was married to Son Altesse Royale le prince Louis de Luxembourg, prince de Nassau, prince de Bourbon de Parme and therefore could by styled by her husband's titles as is the social custom, after the Grand-Duke's approval.

Alexandra was created Countess Frederiksborg but already separated her second marriage and maybe will marry a third time. Tessy is so young. Younger than any other royal divorcee. She has a whole life to go. She will undoubtedly find a new relation, have more children. I think it is better to end princessendom indeed and not keep her with a royal title for 70 more years.

I don't get what Alexandra's remarriage has anything to go with it. The countess title was granted to her post divorce, by the queen. It had no ties to Joachim of her marriage. But because if her continued work.

Sarah and Diana never remarried. If they had, they round have lost their title. Duchess if York and Princess of Wales were not titles any more, it was literally their surname. Many divorced women didn't drop their married name. Not uncommon. For someone who clings fir life to the traditional way of things, I am surprised. This is how all nobles do things.

Tessy gets remarried, she'd lose her title just like Sarah or Diana, as the title would be her surname abd she would gain a new one.

I'm glad actually.

Giving even a lesser title isn't something I like or would allow. If someone doesn't have a title in their own right, if they want out, they should get out and expect nothing from their former in-laws. Henri shouldn't give her a title since she is owed nothing by that family.

You know you're right. I think it prevents the ex from moving on in life like they should and it can cause confusion if there is a second wife who might resent sharing the title, despite the differences (like Fergie not retaining the HRH).

Not sure how it prevents louis from moving on. Or his new wife may resent sharing a title :ermm:

1 Since he lost his succession rights there is no assurance a new wife would get a title. Tessy had to wait several years.

2 even if they did it's not like the uk or Sweden where there are spevific titles. Louis is not duke of x. His possible future Eugenie and tessy would not both be duchess of x.

His future wife would share her title anyways. With all royal women in the family besidesher mother in law and Stephanie. Alexandra, Claire, Sibilla, are all princess if Luxembourg. This isn't some title specific to Louis and his wife.

Any news on the divorce proceedings. Princess Tessy's title post-divorce.
It appears very little has come out since an announcement to divorce was made.

It was announced some time ago she will have no title on marriage.

It was also announced the first stage, decree of nisi was filed February 17. The second stage must wait sux weeks and one day for the divorce to be official. It requires filing as well.

Last edited:
^I do not think that she is going to end up titled and I did read that she won't be titled princess anything and she will not really have anything.

It's already past 6 weeks and 1 day since decree nisi was granted so Tessy can file for decree absolute whenever. If she doesn't, then Louis can file but that requires an extra 3 months wait. After someone actually files, how long does the court usually take to grant decree absolute? Weeks?

They're probably finalizing the divorce settlement. Tessy's the mother of 2 princes and has her job and charities. That's plenty and I think the GDF will continue to include her at some events just like Prince Jean's ex-wife Helene Vestur.

Last edited:
^I do not think that she is going to end up titled and I did read that she won't be titled princess anything and she will not really have anything.

Just as I said, the court has said that Tessy will have no title.

Divorce can take up to five months in the UK but they have already passed the longer stages. Once the six week period of nisi passes, the decree absolute once they file it, may take a matter of days.

How long does divorce take in England

I would think there was likely a prenup like any royal weddings. After ten years marriage and two kids, she should be well taken care of.

Her charity work has always been private as she wasn't an official member. Like Alexandra of Denmark, there is no reason to think it won't continue.

At least while single, I think she will be involved in family events, with the family and her sons. Like Helene.

Duchess if York and Princess of Wales were not titles any more, it was literally their surname. Many divorced women didn't drop their married name. [...] This is how all nobles do things.
It is the tradition in the English nobility, but not in the nobility of most other Western European countries.

From what I've seen on her Instagram she is going by Tessy de Nassau, at least professionally.

From what I've seen on her Instagram she is going by Tessy de Nassau, at least professionally.

Yes, but she is not yet divorced.
She and a number of other members of the grand-ducal family also use "de Luxembourg" as a surname, although "de Nassau" is their official family name.

Tessy has been removed from the Cour's Famille Grand-Ducale page and menu. Her birthday currently remains on the agenda page but the bio link is broken.

Louis' family gallery has been removed from photos. Only his solo photos appear. Although his bio page was last updated "13-07-2017," it still has old information.

ETA: Now last update was "14-07-2017" with updates to education and work but no mention of separation or divorce.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom