The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-30-2012, 05:37 PM
Nobility

Why do you say, she doesn't need money ?? A lot of noble families are poor today and she has a lot of brothers and sister, who certainly receive apanage.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:49 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraphine View Post
Why do you say, she doesn't need money ?? A lot of noble families are poor today and she has a lot of brothers and sister, who certainly receive apanage.
Everybody needs money. But I do not think that it is the main reason for Stephanie.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:49 PM

Hello everyone ! This is my 1st post on this forum and I'm happy it's about Guillaume. I also want to apologize for my english...
To be honest, I think maybe we are a little but rude toward Stephanie. Even if I'm in the team "she looks like the perfect love match so he proposed her" I think we should give her time... We can't judge someone just in one video or in some photos. She never has been in public events so we can't foreshadow how she'll behave with children or politicians.
I also think that her education isn't really helpful for the moment and in the contrary might give her this impression of haughtiness.
We don't know anything about her or their love affair except they're dating for 2years or something like that. IMO, it's fast that's why I think they'll have some troubles because they don't know each other very well (I mean not like a couple who's dating for 10 years...) but afterall, a lot of people nowadays get married after this period so why not ?
To me, the main problem is that they look "too" similar : same hobbies, same faith, same or really close education, background etc ... Too much "same" I want to say. But afterall...

So IMO, we should give her time to settle down with what is happening to her and the future will say us what is going on with this couple.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:53 PM
Heir Apparent

In reading several other engagement threads it would seem as if all the other brides to be, commoner or noble, come in for this sort of second guessing and disapproval from posters. They have been called golddiggers, publicity seekers, their marriages called business arrangements, people saying they can tell its quite obvious the 2 people aren't in love, blah blah blah. Then if you read post marriage some of those same original posters make comments by and large they are lovely ladies who dress well and are excellent representives of their nations, loving parents and how nice to see couples so obviously in love.
It seems no matter who a prince becomes engaged to there will always be people too ready to say he made the wrong choice and then tell us why they know better than the individuals involved.
In the 21st century I sincerely doubt any prince would go in for an arranged marriage. There would have been no need for Guillaume to marry a royal or noble person. His father didn't, he married a girl he knew from university. His contemporaries mostly have not. Now Guillaume might have socialized in a largely aristocratic circle of friends, more so than the others, so it would be natural that he might fall in love with someone from his circle of friends but that is far different than an arranged marriage. As for her physical beauty, that is up to him to judge and he obviously did not find her looks displeasing.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:59 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraphine View Post
I think what was meant is that Stephanie is hardly that much in need of money to go for an arranged marriage.
Personally I don't see this as an arranged union; Prince Guillaume looked very much in love and while Stephanie was more reserved, that was probably due to nerves.

I just don't see the need for an arranged marriage in the first place; Guillaume's own parents married for love, as did his younger brother. Why would they push Guillaume to find a "suitable" noble wife, or why would Guillaume want that himself? Let's face it; unless the woman he chose had similar controversies in her past as Prince Carl-Philip of Sweden's current girlfriend, how many would object to any woman, whatever her background?
Old 04-30-2012, 06:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

Wow, so much negativity towards Stéphanie. I can't believe that people can get that from just one or two appearances. Why not give her some time to get to know her ish, before you begin judging her.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:15 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post
Wow, so much negativity towards Stéphanie. I can't believe that people can get that from just one or two appearances. Why not give her some time to get to know her ish, before you begin judging her.
So it's ok for other people to say "she's lovely, beautiful, attractive, smart and good person" right off that bat when they don't even know her, yet when someone says something they dislike about the situation we're supposed to hold our tongues?? That is not fair at all. Everyone should be able to express how they feel about the union whether it's good or bad.

Also, someone said G and S met at an upper crust ball that would have been highly unlikely that a normal girl would get to go to. So if G just hangs around in his own titled circles then he is only bound to find a titled girl to marry. That's what I meant by an arranged marriage, not that MT and Henri made a list of women and presented them in front of G. Also G was working very heavily this past couple of years with traveling, engagements etc. maybe he didn't have time to go out and date like a normal person. If that's his cup of tea then there's nothing wrong with that but in my opinion it looks like they will have trouble down the road. I don't think they know each other very well and that's what I see.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Some people definitely come from the "If you haven't got anything nice to say, come sit by me" school of thought while others come from the "treat everyone as you would wish to be treated" school of thought. Different strokes for different people.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'm just amazed that people can decide what kind of a person she is, as well as the state of her relationship with her fiancee, from a pretty short video clip. All I saw when I watched those video clips was a very happy young man, and a pretty woman who seemed fairly confident and relaxed.

We'll have plenty of time to reach our own conclusions on this couple over the next months and years. I think we should give them a chance before we rush to judgement.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:37 PM
Serene Highness

God, I almost fainted a minute ago! A previous poster said we shouldn't compare Stephanie to the "high standards of the Duchess of Cambridge". What high standards are they then? Waiting around doing practically nothing with your life for eight years till you Royal boyfriend proposes? Of the little we do know of Stephanie we know that she is a very accomplished young lady. On top of that I fail to understand why her looks are attracting so much comment. She is not a raving beauty but no one could deny that she is slim and attractive but even if she wasn't so what?
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHAmy View Post
So it's ok for other people to say "she's lovely, beautiful, attractive, smart and good person" right off that bat when they don't even know her, yet when someone says something they dislike about the situation we're supposed to hold our tongues?? That is not fair at all. Everyone should be able to express how they feel about the union whether it's good or bad.
Wow, it's not like I forbid anyone to say their opinion, I just think it's rather meaningless to judge a person from one appearance. Give her some time and some more appearances before you make any hasty assumptions about her personality.

Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Some people definitely come from the "If you haven't got anything nice to say, come sit by me" school of thought while others come from the "treat everyone as you would wish to be treated" school of thought. Different strokes for different people.
If you have to explain why one doesn't lead with negativity then it's a lost cause IMO. Class is as class does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurberryBrit View Post
My thoughts on this engagement:
-This is not a love match but a friendship at best.
-Stephanie has the right stuff: noble, blonde, speaks several languages, cultured, etc, but there is something wanting in her whole affect.
-Guillaume gives me the appearance of a boy who is proud because he caught a big fish. It's not so much about Stephanie, but what she represents. I don't think a non-noble girl ever had a chance with him, to be honest.
-COmpatibility reports suggest this is an odd pairing.
-Some posted that in the video of them taking photos and walking, there is evidence of love. I saw Guillaume fawning over Stephanie (stroking his trophy) and Stephanie barely looking his way. When he brushed something out of her face, the look she gave him was dismissive at best.

I know part of the lure of the monarchy is selling a fairy tale or a romance. Although this isn't quite as big of a sham as Charlene and Albert, I'm not falling for the fairy tale love story here either. For the record, I have no issues with arranged marriages. They tend to be more successful than the usual "we married for love" marriages. IMO, this relationship was arranged, set up (likely by Alix de Ligne) and that's fine. I haven't figured out Stephanie's motives yet because she doesn't need his money and she had her own title. I'm not sure a bigger title is her motivation. I don't think love is her motivation either. I don't know what it is. But anyway, he has made his choice and despite my misgivings I wish them the best.

One last thing: look at his mother. That is a troubled woman. Mothers always have a sense of danger for their children, especially when they can't see it. Maria-Teresa sees something amiss with the relationship too. It's written all over her face, even when she's smiling, you can see how forced it is.

In that case the only answer is they're each other's beards
Old 04-30-2012, 06:44 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Also, someone said G and S met at an upper crust ball that would have been highly unlikely that a normal girl would get to go to. So if G just hangs around in his own titled circles then he is only bound to find a titled girl to marry. That's what I meant by an arranged marriage, not that MT and Henri made a list of women and presented them in front of G. Also G was working very heavily this past couple of years with traveling, engagements etc. maybe he didn't have time to go out and date like a normal person. If that's his cup of tea then there's nothing wrong with that but in my opinion it looks like they will have trouble down the road. I don't think they know each other very well and that's what I see.
In my understanding, arranged marriage means that couple are not deeply in love, but they decide to get married because of many other reasons.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:02 PM
Courtier

WOW I think there is a fair bit of reverse snobbishness going on here. Stephanie isn't from 'the gutter'(sot o speak) therefore she is not worthy. So many of the other princes have married middle class women that now it is expected that all should marry women from there.
As for the comments from the small vidoe clip, how on earth you can tell anything from when people are posing in front of a camera like that (and everyone poses and puts on a show unless they don't know the camera is there).
Old 04-30-2012, 07:04 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
In reading several other engagement threads it would seem as if all the other brides to be, commoner or noble, come in for this sort of second guessing and disapproval from posters. They have been called golddiggers, publicity seekers, their marriages called business arrangements, people saying they can tell its quite obvious the 2 people aren't in love, blah blah blah. Then if you read post marriage some of those same original posters make comments by and large they are lovely ladies who dress well and are excellent representives of their nations, loving parents and how nice to see couples so obviously in love.
It seems no matter who a prince becomes engaged to there will always be people too ready to say he made the wrong choice and then tell us why they know better than the individuals involved.
In the 21st century I sincerely doubt any prince would go in for an arranged marriage. There would have been no need for Guillaume to marry a royal or noble person. His father didn't, he married a girl he knew from university. His contemporaries mostly have not. Now Guillaume might have socialized in a largely aristocratic circle of friends, more so than the others, so it would be natural that he might fall in love with someone from his circle of friends but that is far different than an arranged marriage. As for her physical beauty, that is up to him to judge and he obviously did not find her looks displeasing.

very well said.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:16 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by agami.pearl View Post
About charity work-Stephanie taken part in volunteering missions connected with youth movements. Members of her family are also involved in charity actions. Were other CPss involved in charity before the wedding? Kate was with William for many years and I only remember disco roll event. Not too much for me.
Tell me in which missions. I ve never heard. I really doubt this. Only the video can prove this and if its like that they for sure would make it clear how perfect she is with charity work because this is the image of royal family.
Kate i think has warm heart, yes lets face it she was lazy but she has kind heart and personally. i`ve heard more than one charity event when she was involved before her engagement. And it can be written everything but only photos and videos can prove if its true. I mean Stephanie`s charity work as countess. And this is not only marriage this is also a job
Old 04-30-2012, 07:31 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurberryBrit View Post
My thoughts on this engagement:
-This is not a love match but a friendship at best.
-Stephanie has the right stuff: noble, blonde, speaks several languages, cultured, etc, but there is something wanting in her whole affect.
-Guillaume gives me the appearance of a boy who is proud because he caught a big fish. It's not so much about Stephanie, but what she represents. I don't think a non-noble girl ever had a chance with him, to be honest.
-COmpatibility reports suggest this is an odd pairing.
-Some posted that in the video of them taking photos and walking, there is evidence of love. I saw Guillaume fawning over Stephanie (stroking his trophy) and Stephanie barely looking his way. When he brushed something out of her face, the look she gave him was dismissive at best.

I know part of the lure of the monarchy is selling a fairy tale or a romance. Although this isn't quite as big of a sham as Charlene and Albert, I'm not falling for the fairy tale love story here either. For the record, I have no issues with arranged marriages. They tend to be more successful than the usual "we married for love" marriages. IMO, this relationship was arranged, set up (likely by Alix de Ligne) and that's fine. I haven't figured out Stephanie's motives yet because she doesn't need his money and she had her own title. I'm not sure a bigger title is her motivation. I don't think love is her motivation either. I don't know what it is. But anyway, he has made his choice and despite my misgivings I wish them the best.

One last thing: look at his mother. That is a troubled woman. Mothers always have a sense of danger for their children, especially when they can't see it. Maria-Teresa sees something amiss with the relationship too. It's written all over her face, even when she's smiling, you can see how forced it is.
I agree about Maria Teresa and wonder how people only see what they want to see. Eyes never lie. Lips can lie but not eyes. And you`ve notice this dismissive look in the end of the video. Thats what i mean
And for sure she is big fish for him.
And what about your comment "I don't think a non-noble girl ever had a chance with him, to be honest." if thats true than it shows not good part of Guillaumes character. It shows then he is not down to earth man and lazy to teach commoner even with kind heart how it is to be a royal. Its easier to take person who was born in nobel family. And i dont see so much effection from her side. As i say eyes never lie

This is not arranged marriage. Its his choice. But for people who say that it was like a destiny or smth like that i say that its not like a destiny when you go somewhere and meet your destiny. It was to happen because he was not looking for a good commoner and lets face it he can meet only very rich noble girls in his circle. And i agree with that also
Quote:
And look at Mette Marit. Somebody wrote CPs became like another persons after the wedding. But look at her. She is same simple woman. And she had scandalous reputation because of drugs, she has child out of wedlock and Haakon was not afraid to marry her. She is simple kind woman and it is big difference between her and Stephanie not only because of background but because of character
Old 04-30-2012, 08:08 PM
Serene Highness

Although our opinions about Stephanie are different, the supporters are doing the same thing as the dissenters: looking at photos and videos and coming to a conclusion. None of us is privy to the inner workings of their relationship, but we all have a right to express our opinion (within the rules of this community). I don't see a love match between Guillaume and Stephanie and I have the right to say that. Only time will bear out if my suspicions are true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elleann View Post
I agree about Maria Teresa and wonder how people only see what they want to see. Eyes never lie. Lips can lie but not eyes. And you`ve notice this dismissive look in the end of the video. Thats what i mean
And for sure she is big fish for him.
And what about your comment "I don't think a non-noble girl ever had a chance with him, to be honest." if thats true than it shows not good part of Guillaumes character. It shows then he is not down to earth man and lazy to teach commoner even with kind heart how it is to be a royal. Its easier to take person who was born in nobel family. And i dont see so much effection from her side. As i say eyes never lie
I understand the implications of what I said and I will say it again: I think Guillaume had a very specific type of girl he wanted to marry that had less to do with character than appearance. I'm not saying it's good or bad but it is what it is. IMO, Guillaume would not have considered anyone less than a noble for his wife.

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife" Pride and Prejudice
Old 04-30-2012, 09:14 PM
Aristocracy

Well, time will tell. I personally think she has an interesting face. But, I think Stephanie seemed reserved and possibly a bit shy, neither of which is a negative IMO. In fact, I think we could do with some "reserve" these days.
She plays the piano and the violin and apparently enjoys literature. Sometimes those of us who love our music and our books are not so at ease in "public" situations. Again, not a big deal. Most manage when they must. In the meantime, I hope that we will get to see a gorgeous wedding with lots of our favorite royals in beautiful clothing, etc. If only we will be able to see it here in the U.S. And, of course, I wish them all the best for a blessed marriage.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:15 PM
Serene Highness

An arranged marriage would be along the lines of we (parents, family) picked this woman out for you and you are going to marry her. Period. End of discussion. This is normally what one would think of when you think of an arranged marriage. The couple involved generally has no say in the matter. I doubt that this is the case with HGD Guillaume & Countess Stephanie de Lannoy. From the pictures I've seen, they seemed to be a happy couple.

Sometimes someone can play a secret matchmaker (usually it's someone who close to the family but not a family member, although sometimes it is) and the persons involved aren't aware of it.

The way someone would do this would be to have a couple of parties or get togethers and include the couple that they hope will get together. Have them seated at the same table or put them in situations where they interact with each other.

They (the matchmaker) observe from the sidelines what happens. If the couple like each other and get along, great. If they don't, oh well. No one else knows about it and there is no hard feelings from anyone either way.

I don't know if someone played matchmaker in this case. Doesn't seem like it, though.

Tags
engagement, hereditary grand duke guillaume, stephanie de lannoy