Will Daniel be a suitable Prince Consort?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that Mr. Westling is a suitable husband/Prince Consort for Crown Princess Victoria. I tend to agree with Jo of Palatine (see post #52) that King and Queen did their best to gently persuade Crown Princess into finding a diplomat. However, Crown Princess Victoria stood by her man. Given the current Crown Princess (e.g., Mette Marit and Letizia), I believe that Mr. Westling is not a bad choice at all.

You mean then, when we had thought, that now...finally...FINALLY...they must get married? ;)

*Must* get married? Did I miss a headline that Victoria is pregnant or something?

*Must* get married? Did I miss a headline that Victoria is pregnant or something?

I was refering to earlier years (if she would have been then pregnant, she wouldn´t be still...only if she would be an elephant, then maybe ;)) and of course a bit of exaggeration was involved

Hi - I'm new to the forum and from the U.S. Just a question regarding Crown Princess Victoria and Daniel Westling. Why is the King against their engagement when he married a commoner himself? Also, if Victoria were to step down so she can marry Daniel and her brother were to become the crown prince, would he be allowed to marry his current commoner girlfriend? Thanks for filling me in.

at first i did not think much about daniel but today he grow on me.
he said that he know that the trust from swedish people was something that he need to earn
and his role is to support the crown princess
and later on take on his own intrests if its possible

He will become a heir-consort next year. Prince-Consort, I still think no. The cynic in me thinks he is not in this for the long-haul. Even if he is, I see him using Henrik as an example- so many temper tantrums to look forward to.

He will become a heir-consort next year. Prince-Consort, I still think no. The cynic in me thinks he is not in this for the long-haul. Even if he is, I see him using Henrik as an example- so many temper tantrums to look forward to.

There is no such title as an Heir Consort.If he is or isn´t suiteble is up to the future.No-one has a chrystal ball,but I do strongly think that Victoria knows exactly what she is doing,people do get to know eachother in 7 years time you know.And she must have put him to the test time and time again,inundating him in the Royal life he will be part of soon,holding a mirror in front of him questioning what will you do iff...The do´s and dont´s,the who´s who and what´s what and what not,all of that.The future will unveil it all in time,but not now.

The answer for me is simple:if he truly loves Victoria,he will!

I hope he will be and I hope he does not ever let this young woman down in public. If he truly loves her I read above well a bit naive but I hope you are correct. IMO. I don't like to be wrong but in a few years I hope I can stand corrected.

After seven years he knows how it will be... he has had time to consider every facet of the situation... he will be OK

I'm happy they are in love. They probably do know each other very well which makes the engagement all the better. Daniel will prove himself when he does become Crown Prince. He's been by Victoria's side for years and will walk in stride as a future heir as well. I don't worry whether he'll be suitable. I think he and Victoria will do fine. I hope he's happy and caring. They have quite much riding on their shoulders. Maybe they will have a splendid life leading for Sweden. Good luck to them. :flowers:

i think yes , because 7 years of relation is a long time to know the importance of the role of consort , and the most important thing is they love eachother , specialy victoria she said she feel secure with her prince , so they wll be a good royal couple !

The problem is that if Daniel had been the perfect prince or a university professor or an astronaught the same people would still find something to criticise him for (or make it up) because their own lives are just so damn perfect and they have to look down on anyone that doesn't fit their own ideals. Daniel is not JUST a fitness trainer - (i.e. someone who spends much time and skill helping other people with less time and skill to be fit and healthy and thus improving their lives no end) - he has also had the energy, foresight, skill and business acumen to have built up his own business, off his own back and to benefit many more people! He is therefore a very capable candidate for marrying a Crown Princess and giving her the support and encouragement she needs. Above all, she is the Crown Princess of Sweden and as such, everyone should give her the respect she deserves for having found the love of her life - if people criticise Daniel they are unjustifiably criticising her too!

Last edited by a moderator:
Daniel will make it well

There have been suggestions, people guess about Daniels title. He willl be prins Daniel, Duke of Västergötland. Untill the wedding he is Mr Daniel Westling.

I´m sure HRH King Carl Gustav and HRH Crownprinsess Victoria knows what they are doing after 7 long years of trial. Also Daniel! I.m not worried!

Last edited:
What a stupid topic. Why Daniel shouldn't be decent husband? Victoria is happy with them so he's good.

What a stupid topic. Why Daniel shouldn't be decent husband? Victoria is happy with them so he's good.
To be a decen husband is different to be a suitable Prince Consort...I think that after some years of relation between them, she has understood that he can be a good husband; but nobody can say if he will be a good Prince; now we can only hope that he will be, but do we have some certainty about??

He is doing so good right now, of course!

What a stupid question. This topic has nothing to do with being a decent husband but everything to do with being a suitable Prince Consort. Victoria can be happy all she likes with her decent husband as long as he makes a suitable consort for Sweden. We of course won't know, until he becomes that consort.

I think he's suitable so far. He's doing a great job being Victoria's helpmate. I just don't know if he has the strength and stamina to be at Victorias side for years and years to come. I guess we'll see.

He's doing a great job being Victoria's helpmate.

Yes I agree. The question is, does he or the court see his role beyond that. I see him more as part of the Prince Claus type of consort (helpmate to bring up the children - not so much the part of political advisor because in comparison to Claus Daniel is lacking the background), rather than the Prince Philip type, who - within his limitations - was very active and able to establish a successful "consort career".

What a strange topic!

Of the many strange topics, I think this is among the strangest thing I've ever seen! Again, I'll stoop to those members who have supernatural powers and influence to see into the future, because otherwise, I write things that certainly will be refused by the moderator. I note however that the Swedish people up to now are very happy with Daniel's efforts. To write that, I do not need to use my supernatural abilities...:bang:

Can anyone answer the question of what the King had against Daniel and Victoria getting married? I can only assume that he got over it a few years back and is now onboard. George VI and Elizabeth were against Prince Philip and that turned out fine. I feel for men who marry the Queen or future Queen because men are taught to be the bread winners the providers, the leaders and being a consort to a Queen leaves them with no role and people expect them to just deal with it happily.

I think that the king had nothing against Daniel in person, he just thought that a man with his background (the middle class family) can´t support the crown princess the best possible way at her job. The king and the queen were with Daniel and Victoria at a concert in Borgholm at summer 2003. The king was also seen with his children and their boy-/girlfriends at a karting track driving a friendly karting competition in April 2004.

Yes , why he not be suitbale ?

That seems a bit strange since his own wife came from similar background as Daniel. She certainly seems to have done a great job supporting him. I am convinced the so called "dislike" of Daniel was made up by the press because they waited so long to get married.

I think that the king had nothing against Daniel in person, he just thought that a man with his background (the middle class family) can´t support the crown princess the best possible way at her job. The king and the queen were with Daniel and Victoria at a concert in Borgholm at summer 2003. The king was also seen with his children and their boy-/girlfriends at a karting track driving a friendly karting competition in April 2004.

Agree

That seems a bit strange since his own wife came from similar background as Daniel. She certainly seems to have done a great job supporting him. I am convinced the so called "dislike" of Daniel was made up by the press because they waited so long to get married.

I agree and do not think that the Royal couple disliked Daniel. But he did the first school in the very complicated life that was waiting and they wanted to give him and the princess some time. I personally believe that the King by his cousin Margrethe (the Queen of Denmark) has been told how difficult it can be for a man to "walk a step behind his wife." This is something that is also expressed by other royal families. Moreover, I think it was wise that they had time for themselves outside the public spotlight.

Last edited:
Even if Silvia is of middle-class background, her education when it comes to languages and her work experiences (for example she was Deputy Head of Protocol for the Winter Games in Innsbruck) made her quite able to take on the role as Queen, while Daniel had very little formal education, and if what the papers have been writing, his knowledge in English wasn't very good. I think that much of the last couple of years have gone into "educating" Daniel to become a suitable royal consort, he have had mentors from different paths of Swedish society and how he is today is quite different from how he was a couple of years ago when it comes to dressing, meeting people and speaking English.

One other reason may also be the fact that Daniel is a Swede, do remember that the king was brought up by a grandfather who had two sons and a nephew who had lost their royal titles because they married Swedish commoners, until not so long ago Swedish royals could not marry commoners, especially not Swedes, without loosing their title.

As for comparing Daniel with other prince consorts, prince Philip was born royal and both prince Claus and prince Henrik had an aristocratic background and had been involved in the diplomatic world, making them more suitable as royal consorts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom