Victoria & Daniel's 1st Baby - Guess the Sex, Name and Godparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What do you think Victoria will have ....a boy or girl?

• Boy - Christian needs some help with all these girls!

Votes: 103 40.1%
  • Girl - Girls rule!

Votes: 67 26.1%
  • One of each would be nice!

Votes: 11 4.3%
  • As long as the baby is healthy it doesn't matter!

Votes: 76 29.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering the controversy over Carl Philip's girlfriend I doubt any girl will be named Sofia or anything similar. There are so many great names among our royals going way back so my guess is for traditional names with royal stories behind them.

Meraude said:
Oscar was the most popular name for boys in Sweden in 2010, given to more than 1100 boys. Lovisa was at place 47, given to 336 girls, Louise and Louisa are less popular, not on the Top 100-list for 2010.

I think Oscar would make an excellent name, it's just one of those that you grow into, you know? Perhaps the fact that it is such a popular name now as well as having historical connotations, it will be very likely to be the name if it's a boy? Does anyone know how popular Gustav or Gustaf?

Girls:
Anna
Astrid
Catherine (or the most popular Swedish alternative)
Helena

Boys:
Johan
Olof

Definately one of her siblings, Prince Fred and Prince Haakon maybe Mary or Mette-Merrit and a friend or two.

American Dane said:
Girls:
Anna
Astrid
Catherine (or the most popular Swedish alternative)
Helena

Boys:
Johan
Olof

I've always loved the name Astrid

im gonna go out on a limb the babys name is gonna be Barack :shifty:

I'm thinking Carl Oscar Edmund Olof or Alice Christina Victoria Louise.

i dont know name :ermm: i still not think in name

For a little princess: :)

Karolina (Karolina Ulrika Silvia Kristina)
Ulrika (Ulrika Lovisa Anna Silvia)
Martha (Martha Kristina Silvia Mathilda)
Astrid (Astrid Silvia Anna Lovisa)
Lovisa (Lovisa Sibylla Silvia Karolina)
Kristina (Kristina Ulrika Silvia Sibylla) etc.

Last edited:
Hmm...I'd like
Boy: Carl Johan Philip Gustaf, Oskar, Olof
Girl: Margrete, Christina, Eleonora

Crown Prince Frederik & Crown Prince Haakon, Princess Madeleine and a member or two from Daniels side.
Have a feeling Maxima is a runner up.

Here are the Swedish top 100 names for 2010:
Girls
Boys

The names I find the most royal on there are Alice (2nd), Astrid (29th), Lovisa (47th), Hedvig (99th), Oscar (1st), Alexander (5th), Gustav (18th) , Carl (55th) and Wilhelm (71st). (And Ingrid and Josefine, but they're taken.)

You can also look at these lists of all first names given to at least 10 children any year since 1998, and compare whether they're getting more or less popular:
Girls
Boys

Margaret Silvia Lillian Victoria Desiree or Victoria Sibylla Danielle Silvia Margaret

Gustav Daniel Victor Bertil or Gustav Victor Daniel Arthur

Last edited:
In reality do God parents actually DO anything. As I understand it the role of a god parent is to ensure that the child has a grounding in christianity.

i hope they can surprise us with an original and diferent name.
who guessed that Mary and Frederiks twin son would be called Vincent? nobody, but it was cool and somewhat unexpected^^

Yes, but the twins are unlikely to inherit the throne, so Mary and Frederik had more leeway with the names.

Victoria's child will become the heir after her, so I believe they'll choose something very traditional.

I love thinking of names, here's my guesses/hopes:

Alice Christina Sibylla Josephine
Alice - Victoria's and princess Sibylla's middle name and Silvia's mother's name, Christina - classic royal name, Sibylla - princess Sibylla, Josephine - queen Josephine, sounds good with the other names.
I would like Sibylla as the first name, but it's also a Swedish fast food restaurant, so maybe not ... I'd also like Hedvig, Eleonora, Margareta.

Edmund Oscar Carl Leopold
Edmund - what Victoria's grandfather prince Gustaf Adolf was called by family, Oscar - like the two kings, Carl - of course, Leopold - my wildcard just because I like it, from Prince Leopold, Victoria's great-great-grandfather.
(Please just name him anything else than a double name with Gustaf and Carl, we've had enough of those.)
I pretty much like them, especially the girls name. Christina would also honor Daniel's mum, her middle name is Kristina. So I think it's perfectly balanced.

One name that I would like them to use if it's a girl is Karolina/Carolina. Not going to happen though. But I can see them with a little Karolina.

Yes, but the twins are unlikely to inherit the throne, so Mary and Frederik had more leeway with the names.

Victoria's child will become the heir after her, so I believe they'll choose something very traditional.
hmm i dont agree about your comment.
after all, Maxima named her eldest daughter Catharina-Amalia, a name that is diferent and unusual put together.
of course we usually get a traditional name with historical meaning from first-borns heirs (like Leonor, Christian and Ingrid), but its not obligatory to follow that trend.
i always loved surprises, i hope they can make me say "wow i didnt expect that name at all"

Last edited:
You can't be godparent if you're divorced? As far as I know you only need to be a church member and confirmed.
I don't know how it is in Lutheran Church of Sweden, but in Catholic Church definitely not: more if you live in a concubinate.

I don't think it's silly to have siblings as godparents. I believe it is a remnant of the old tradition (or was it even the law?) that in case something happens to the parents, the godparents would then raise the children.

Since this child (or children) is the future heir to the throne I believe there will be several godparents that are either Crown Princes/Princesses or Kings/Queens. Is there a tradition how many godparents the child can have?

Depending on how many godparents they can choose, I'm thinking they will choose CP Frederik & CP Mary and/or CP Haakon & CP Mette-Marit. Then again they might surprise and go with someone like CP Philippe, Prince Pavlos etc. If there is room I'm sure they will choose Daniel's sister Anna and either Carl-Philip or Madeleine.

I would love Astrid or Christina for a girl, and Oskar or Carl for a boy :flowers:

hmm i dont agree about your comment.
after all, Maxima named her eldest daughter Catharina-Amalia, a name that is diferent and unusual put together.
of course we usually get a traditional name with historical meaning from first-borns heirs (like Leonor, Christian and Ingrid), but its not obligatory to follow that trend.
i always loved surprises, i hope they can make me say "wow i didnt expect that name at all"
Victoria & Daniel pretty much seem to like traditions, just look at their wedding, Victoria's engagement ring etc. I don't expect them to go for any "different" name for their firstborn.

It would be a nice surprise if they would go with something like Oscar since that would be a nice break after several Carls and Gustavs. If they have a girl, I'm thinking one of her names might be Lilian since Victoria is very close to Princess Lilian and sees her as a sort of grandma.

Here are my first suggestions (I'll probably have time to come up with several):

HRH Prince
Oscar Gustav Olof Daniel
Carl Johan Eugen Arthur
Carl August Oscar Fredrik
Gustav August Carl Edvard

HRH Princess
Margaretha Sibylla Ingrid Lilian
Lovisa Silvia Anna Lilian
Josephine Augusta Lilian Victoria
Anna Christina Eugénie Feodora

Not very good ones I'm afraid, but I was just playing with the names that can be found on their family trees.

It would be a nice surprise if they would go with something like Oscar since that would be a nice break after several Carls and Gustavs. If they have a girl, I'm thinking one of her names might be Lilian since Victoria is very close to Princess Lilian and sees her as a sort of grandma.

Here are my first suggestions (I'll probably have time to come up with several):

HRH Prince
Oscar Gustav Olof Daniel
Carl Johan Eugen Arthur
Carl August Oscar Fredrik
Gustav August Carl Edvard

HRH Princess
Margaretha Sibylla Ingrid Lilian
Lovisa Silvia Anna Lilian
Josephine Augusta Lilian Victoria
Anna Christina Eugénie Feodora

Not very good ones I'm afraid, but I was just playing with the names that can be found on their family trees.

:previous: I like these ones especially

If they have a girl and a boy is born 2nd child. Does that mean his elder sister would be Queen?

If they have a girl and a boy is born 2nd child. Does that mean his elder sister would be Queen?
yes, because sweden constitution says that first-born child regardless of gender gets to henrit the throne. thats why Victoria is the crown princess today

Boy: Gustaf Philipp Daniel Hubertus Bertil
Girl: Christina Sybilla Silvia Mary Lilian Margaretha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom