Engagement of Crown Princess Victoria and Daniel Westling: February 24, 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Its seems there is a TV interview recorded from yeasterday this acording to Johan Lindwall. Something that will be for Swedish TV4.

Johan T Lindwall: Jag vet att TV4 redan har gjort en stor intervju, den lär nog komma de närmaste veckorna...

I was thinking today about the question as to whether Victoria should be marrying a nobleman or royal rather than a "commoner" and in my mind the answer I came up with is that clearly there were no eligable noblemen or royals around during the last decade or so that she fell in love with and wanted to marry - simple as that. The fact that Victoria and Daniel have been with each other for seven years is testimony to the fact that he must be the right person for her otherwise they wouldn't be getting married. I think it is interesting after all these years of seeing the crown princes of Europe (and beyond) getting married that we now have a crown princess getting married and to me it couldn't be more exciting! I think I'll leave speculation about the wedding I mentioned in my earlier post for a while as it's too soon to even contemplate such a big and exciting event! :ROFLMAO:

Just to add a huge big thank you to all those people who have kindly posted pictures and links! :flowers: :flowers: :flowers:

Last edited:
Thanks for information - Aftonbladet has information, too!

But why we don't see official pictures with the families of both????

Victoria, Daniel, the King and the Queen, Daniel´s parents, princess Madeleine and Jonas Bergström celebrated the engagement with a private family dinner at Drottningholm.
Expressen has a very bad quality photo of Victoria and Daniel leaving the dinner
Expressen/Kungafamiljen firade förlovningen i natt

Hello!/Princess Victoria brimming with joy as she shows off engagement ring

i think victoria's ring is lovely and very classic.

i wouldn't qualify daniel as a golddigger. he really does not look like the type of person who enjoys being in the spotlight 24-7. after so many years of being around victoria, i believe he genuinely likes her. i'm also sure he will let her shine while he takes a secondary role.

i really cannot wait for the wedding, we need to wait for so long! i can't hide my excitement, lol.

Thanks for information - Aftonbladet has information, too!

But why we don't see official pictures with the families of both????

Maybe because Daniel's parents prefer their privacy? Remember this saying: he's a chip off the old block? In German: der Apfel fällt nicht weit vom Stamm. If his parents are as reticent and shy as Daniel appears to be, then maybe they are better off without their picture being spread worldwide. Or so I would think.:flowers:

This picture raised some questions.

http://www.dn.se/polopoly_fs/1.806868!image/3286161961.jpg_gen/derivatives/article-landscape/3286161961.jpg

These are supposed to be the hands of a princess who is 31 years old. Does she do hard labor as a hobby? It looks like she's just been washing her laundry in an ice hole on the sea ice or something. I don't mean to be rude, it was just a bit shocking since I'm 30 and my hands look nothing like that. No pores visible etc. You would think she'd afford to have a manicure done or something.

he he.. Its winther in Sweden.... and this winther has been v cold and snowy, and maybe she likes to went outside without gloves...or maybe she pull them off when she is getting warm while jogging or something - thats how real swedish winther hands looks like... my hands looks like hers and my fingers are cracking because of coldness (havnt done the dishes for weeks so that cant be the reason :D) and thats life (if you are to lazy to put some conditioner on)

..."Maybe because Daniel's parents prefer their privacy? Remember this saying: he's a chip off the old block? In German: der Apfel fällt nicht weit vom Stamm. If his parents are as reticent and shy as Daniel appears to be, then maybe they are better off without their picture being spread worldwide. Or so I would think.:flowers:"...
Or maybe the parents of Vic and Daniel don't like eachother and didn't want to show with eachother... Or this is awkward for the King and Queen...
She is the future Queen of Sweden and no pictures about "happy family"???? The story doesn't hold together...

First: Hooray for Victoria and Daniel. They look like a very happy couple.
Daniel handled the engagement day press conferenced very well. Victoria is a pro with the press. Daniel seemed a bit shy, but he did very well in front of all of the press and flashing cameras.
The glasses? I thought that he may have switched to contact lenses, but now seems to be wearing the glasses again.
The engagement ring is beautiful. Thank goodness, it isn't the color of the Swedish flag (a la Marieof Denmark's ring). Maybe the ring or diamond belonged to Daniel's family and was reset. A big, garish ring would be out of character for Victoria.
People should stop sniping about Daniel's pedigree. He has been a business entrepreneur and, from what I understand, very successful. Good for him!
There are plenty of nitwit European nobles and princes running around who would take a back seat to Daniel who seems to have a good head on his shoulders. No previous marriages or out-of-wedlock kids. Evidently no scandals or skeletons in his closet.
Victoria is a smart lady who took her time to find the right husband. I think that she has made the perfect choice.

I am very happy for them!! Congratulations!!!
He may not be as dashing and aristocratic as some royal watchers would like it, but a marriage in the 21st century should be about love. Arranged marriages just don't work anymore.
My guess is, that in a couple of years we all will be surprised of how well Daniel lived up to the expectations. He certainly deserves a chance.

..."Maybe because Daniel's parents prefer their privacy? Remember this saying: he's a chip off the old block? In German: der Apfel fällt nicht weit vom Stamm. If his parents are as reticent and shy as Daniel appears to be, then maybe they are better off without their picture being spread worldwide. Or so I would think.:flowers:"...
Or maybe the parents of Vic and Daniel don't like eachother and didn't want to show with eachother... Or this is awkward for the King and Queen...
She is the future Queen of Sweden and no pictures about "happy family"???? The story doesn't hold together...

They have at least met for a dinner/small party at Drottningholm. Pics have documented that.
Victoria with Daniel´s parents Eva and Olle
http://gfx.aftonbladet-cdn.se/multimedia/dynamic/00864/sv_r_864491b.jpg
Maybe the official family pix would still come. In Norway it also took a few days until the pix with the parents got released.
I don´t think Eva and Olle are shy really. They used to talk to the press before (though in a very discreet way) and at the wedding, they also need to get out of their holes...

he he.. Its winther in Sweden.... and this winther has been v cold and snowy, and maybe she likes to went outside without gloves...or maybe she pull them off when she is getting warm while jogging or something - thats how real swedish winther hands looks like... my hands looks like hers and my fingers are cracking because of coldness (havnt done the dishes for weeks so that cant be the reason :D) and thats life (if you are to lazy to put some conditioner on)
As it seems she doesn´t get cold easily. So maybe she doesn´t feel a physical need to protect her hands, but of course it shows at the skin.
In summer her hands look healthier usually...

A few news by Expressen. Mainly coming from Johan T. Lindwall, so I don´t know, if everything is correct ;)

A few things out of the chat with Johan T.
-He got to hear, that it was Mamma Eva, who got to hear firstly about his plans to propose.
-Daniel´s surname will be Bernadotte
-Johan T. knows exactly, when Daniel did propose and will reveal it soon
-Daniel did self pay for the ring and bought it at the court jeweller Bolin http://www.bolin.se/
-He thinks Madeleine and CP can after the announcement also get engaged. Madeleine would then marry in 2011 earliest and CP & Emma 1-2 years after that...

Daniel´s cousin is a famous innebandy (some kind of hockey) player, who got the nick name "Hans Majestät" (His Majesty)
Daniel har redan en kung i släkten - Nyheter - Expressen.se

There will be stamps on the couple around the wedding.

Daniel did ask the king for his daughter´s hand in the king´s office. And when Daniel did propose the bodyguards were asked to stay away a little (wonder, how Johan T. could know ;) )

In the interview with TT Victoria said, that they both love children very much and that it would be their biggest dream to create a family...
---

Daniel and Victoria use(d) to be some kind of entertaining "docu soap" for me and some other users here. An endless docu soap, even when the "viewing rates" were low (in fact I am surprised, how many different users stop by now and write something ;) ) for quite some time.
But on a more serious note, I wanna say, that I am really impressed by Daniel, that he is really doing that for Victoria. It takes so much to give up his old life. Surely he gets privileges and his life will be a lot more exciting than the life of his former schoolmates out of Ockelbo/Sandviken, but this is nothing in relation to the vulnerability, that will now accompany his life (and his children´s life) and the special circumstances, which surround him as (ambitious) man...

Definitely the black framed ones ;) (I don't think I have even seen him with other glasses)

Grandpa glasses
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/rsplendour/Sverige/Untitled-TrueColor-13-1.jpg

And the first model, we saw him with
http://www.svd.se/multimedia/dynamic/00238/Victoria_och_daniel_238213b.jpg

Black framed ones
http://www.expressen.se/polopoly_fs/1.720517!slot100slotWide75ArticleFull/3447786819.jpg

Victoria´s cousin Oscar (son of princess Christina) is a designer for glasses. So Daniel has plenty of choice. ;)
Oscar Magnuson

Thank you for all these pretty photos - I am so happy about the event. Regards.

Queen Beatrix has congratulated her godchild and her fiancee as was announced by the RVD on request.HM met Daniel already in 2006.

Victoria also received congratulations of Princess Amalia,her godchild,and Alexander and Máxima.

Grandpa glasses
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/rsplendour/Sverige/Untitled-TrueColor-13-1.jpg

And the first model, we saw him with
http://www.svd.se/multimedia/dynamic/00238/Victoria_och_daniel_238213b.jpg

Black framed ones
http://www.expressen.se/polopoly_fs/1.720517!slot100slotWide75ArticleFull/3447786819.jpg

Victoria´s cousin Oscar (son of princess Christina) is a designer for glasses. So Daniel has plenty of choice. ;)
Oscar Magnuson

Thank you Lena :flowers:
No doubt - it has to be the black ones (and that little 'crooked' smile to go with them :D). Daniel can look really attractive.

I think they'll make beautiful brunette babies. They have pretty compatible genes!

I am literally in shock!! I don't know why as they have been together for so long but I was genuinely surprised.

Congratulations to the couple:flowers:

I think you feel like I feel. I'm happy for them and I should not be surprised since they have dated so long. But I kind of thought this relationship was not going to progress to marriage for some reason. That they had become too comfortable and must want different things but were having trouble admitting that to each other. So in a way I'm shocked too.

I am wondering what he will do with his gyms? Sell them? A prince and a gym owner or gym owner turned prince. Possibly the wedding not taking place until Summer of 2010 allows him to figure things out further. I was also thinking a lavish royal wedding in 2010 instead of 2009 made more sense based on the economy. I don't know how well Sweden's economy is but I know many countries are in a recession. Including the countries of some likely wedding guests.

I'm thinking we will be waiting awhile for the engagments of Madeleine and Carl-Philip. Can't image them getting engaged any time soon and stealing Victoria's thunder.

ruthieviews

I am really happy that the engagement is finally announced. It's been a loooooong time. They look so happy together and I wish them well. Since the economy is so bad, would they consider a triple wedding in Sweden? They could all get married at one time and save all that money. Just kidding.

Having seen the spectacular ring, Daniel may have waited to save up that much money. It's a wonderful, big diamond and must have cost a million or more.

Daniel seemed very relaxed with all of the royal family when they appeared together to discuss the engagement. All must be well with them and we can now quit speculating, worrying, and wondering. Of course, we can now speculate on who will attend them and where and when will the wedding be held. After that, we can all speculate on their future children. This will be fun.

Hurrah, Hurrah, Hurrah. Congratulations.

I admit I have not read every page of this thread since it's become so long so quick. So I apoplogize if this has already been discussed. But it looks like it is maybe the same dress just different colors.

ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank

Is it just me or do these two look like kids? When some of the other royal weddings have taken place in recent years I never had that thought. But for some reason with these two I'm looking at these pictures saying to myself that they look like two kids. That grown-up mature polished look isn't there as it was with the other royals in recent years. Although I believe Haakon is the only other royal in recent years to marry at a younger age than Victoria. I don't know but there is something about them that is so youthful. Certainly not a bad thing. I just hope they are ready for what is coming their way.

SOOO delighted for them both at last with the rececession/credit crunch we have something to look forward to but such a long way away.. Oh well these two in their own time and my very best wishes to them and Sweden

I am really happy that the engagement is finally announced. I wish them all the best.
They look so happy together and I love the engagement ring which Daniel bought his lovely bride-to-be. And I never saw Victoria with such glamour and smiling.

Congratulations to the couple!!!
They are glowing with happiness!!!

This is great news;best wishes to Victoria and Daniel!:D

:clap: congratulations to cp victoria and to daniel. i guess that would end up all the speculations and gossips (including our RF poll :lol:)that has been going on about cp victoria. daniel is her choice and she seems to be very happy with him:flowers:. i also hope that we would witness more swedish royal engagements in the near future;). Congratulations to the swedish royal family and to sweden.

Do you think she bought her own ring???

I mean, she's a CP, he's a gym owner. How can he afford to purchase a ring suitable for a Royal Finger?
That would be very 'Britney Spears' and very disappointing if she did, but I think Daniel could probably afford that ring.

I certainly agree with you :) Get those glasses on Daniel!
They give him an interesting 'edge'.
I definately agree that he looks much better with glasses! More distinguished!

When is the appropriate time to start speculating on the the wedding itself - the wedding dress, bridesmades etc!? I'm sure by the time the wedding comes round next year there will be millions of posts!!!
I'm already speculating on what tiara Victoria should/would wear but I'm not sure where to post it (here or in jewelry).

Back
Top Bottom