The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > General Royal Discussion

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: In your opinion, which European country is more likely to become a republic?
Belgium 81 20.25%
Denmark 12 3.00%
Great Britain 39 9.75%
Liechtenstein 12 3.00%
Luxembourg 9 2.25%
Monaco 16 4.00%
The Netherlands 4 1.00%
Norway 55 13.75%
Spain 141 35.25%
Sweden 31 7.75%
Voters: 400. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-30-2013, 08:33 PM
Nobility

I said it before, and I'll say it again. The Spainish Royal is on a path of destruction. I am surprised the country hasn't had enough already.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

The UK within its bounds, I, think, is safe, but in the Commonwealth after the queen, remains to be seen.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:44 AM
Courtier

Isn't there an upcoming referendum going on within the UK boundaries? I agree with you Countess on the issue of the commonwealth after the Queen.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:00 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanAUSSIE View Post
Isn't there an upcoming referendum going on within the UK boundaries? I agree with you Countess on the issue of the commonwealth after the Queen.
We have two, Scotland has a referendum in 2014 as to whether to stay in the UK. The UK might have one in 2018 to stay in the EU.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:06 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
We have two, Scotland has a referendum in 2014 as to whether to stay in the UK. The UK might have one in 2018 to stay in the EU.
Do you want to stay in the EU? Does it make any difference to the RF?
Old 01-31-2013, 05:37 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:

Personally, I want to stay in with a few rule changes. It makes little difference to the monarchy, although some monarchists resent The Queen as she signed on the dotted line and brought us in.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:38 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANNIE_S View Post
If UK falls, then there is no hope for any other of the European monarchies
That indeed would be the catalyst of doom for all the other monarchies
Old 02-21-2013, 07:55 AM
Commoner

Quote:

No, it'll make no difference. We had a monarchy before the EU and none of the treaties affect them anyway. The EU is a contentious subject in the UK, to say the least.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:26 PM
Courtier

I think in Europe (and in the world) the Spain Monarchy will most likely be the next to be abolished and I think it will be within the Next 5 Years. I don't really have to say more,Spain is on the verge of Collapse.

The British Monarchy I think will be the last one standing in the world and will be the last one to fall. I can't see it being abolished in the next 50 Years.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:37 PM
Royal Highness

While there is certainly disgust for the monarchy, I think that Spain's woes could cause a collapse of the government in general, and the monarchy swept away with it.

I don't think Spain will be the same country within the next few years.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:38 PM
Courtier

Spain and jordan
Old 04-12-2013, 01:38 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sancakli70 View Post
Spain and jordan
Why would you say Jordan?
Old 04-13-2013, 04:23 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
While there is certainly disgust for the monarchy, I think that Spain's woes could cause a collapse of the government in general, and the monarchy swept away with it.

I don't think Spain will be the same country within the next few years.
Considering the news of late, I must agree with you Giraffe.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:55 AM
Heir Apparent

For a long period I thought about Norway, but after the last issues I'affraid but there strong chances to be Spain.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:22 PM
Gentry

I voted for Spain, i doubt that Great Britain is going to turn into a republic country anytime soon.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:43 PM
Heir Apparent

In Europe I would vote for Spain & Belgium, likely as part of a general overhaul of government institutions resultimg from the splitting apart of the nations into constituent parts. It likely would have already happened in Belgium except no one can figure out what to do with Brussels (French city in a Flemish area).
I can see Sweden abolishing it due to general indifference.
Outside of Europe I can see Swaziland and Bahrain abolishing due to mismanagement and misjudgements and generally failing to adapt to changing demands of the people.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:12 PM
Gentry

It seems to me that, in general, it isn’t the general public that wants to depose their royal families but politicians and outside agitators and invaders. That being said it would be, among European nations, in my opinion, either Spain or Belgium. Belgium because the country ceases to exist and Spain because of political unrest, in which case the Spanish state ceases to exist.

There was a discussion thread I read a few years back debating the merits of becoming a republic versus the monarchy in Jamaica. Most of the arguments against were what one would expect. One man, however, made what I felt was one of the most convincing pro-monarchy statements I ever heard: “The Queen holds the highest office in the land and it is the only one the politicians can not steal”. Short and sweet.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:23 PM
Aristocracy

It's either Spain or Belgium due to the internal strife.

To add the Spanish RF is doing everything they can to accelerate the dissolution is monarchy!

The UK will cease to exist as a nation soon, so Charles/William will be King of England and maybe Wales.

The monarchy's that seems the safest at the moment are:
Japan
Thailand
Netherlands
Sweden
UAE
Bhutan
Morocco
Old 07-15-2013, 12:46 PM
Serene Highness

In the distant past, Scotland elected her king. Sometimes a family member won, sometimes not. I wonder if there is any clear contender for a Scots monarch in an election? It's hard to see how anything other than an elected king would be acceptable to the Scots, but I have no knowledge about "pretenders" to that throne. Possibly the Stuart line? Since the Stuart line persons are Catholic, that could be an impediment in largely Protestant Scotland, but on the other hand, Scotland has a history of absorbing various ethnicities and religious differences. Not a totally "tolerant" history after people like Knox arose, of course. Jews were accepted in Scotland, I read, even though England held them at arm's length. It was a melting pot like the US in much of its history.

I am afraid a new monarchy in Scotland would be hard to come by.
I would like to know more.

My understanding from various readings is that Sophie of Wittlesbach, who is wife of the Hereditary ruler of Leichtenstein, had a mother with a Scots name, Douglas. The Douglas family was said to have lived in Sweden many years as aides to the royal family there, so she is sometimes described as Swedish. I wonder what percent of her heritage is Swedish and what percent Scots? With a name like Douglas she is very Scots indeed. Her son Joseph Wenzel was born in England when his father was working there, the first "Stuart" descendant to be born in England in centuries, I read. If they had chosen Scotland to work in and Joseph Wenzel was born there, that might be an interesting situation. But probably not.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariel View Post
. Her son Joseph Wenzel was born in England when his father was working there, the first "Stuart" descendant to be born in England in centuries,.

Hardly. The current royal family in the UK owe their throne to their descent from the Stuarts so many many many Stuart descendents have been born in the UK since the Glorious Revolution