Which Country Could Become A Monarchy?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am curious about post-Vladimir Putin Russia? I mean 37% of young Russians favor a constitutional monarchy and a third of the Russian Federation's population actually supports it. Who knows maybe we'll see another Franco-type restoration only this time in Russia. The question is will it be someone as closely related to the Romonavs as possible or a different dynasty altogether.

-Frozen Royalist

I am curious about post-Vladimir Putin Russia? I mean 37% of young Russians favor a constitutional monarchy and a third of the Russian Federation's population actually supports it. Who knows maybe we'll see another Franco-type restoration only this time in Russia. The question is will it be someone as closely related to the Romonavs as possible or a different dynasty altogether.

-Frozen Royalist

Restoration of Russian monarchy seems unlikely. One problem is that there is not very clear claimant to Russian throne. There is at least two claimants so it would be difficult pick such.

-Frozen Royalist

What dynasty would you propose they bring to the throne?

If they were to restore the monarchy, it would be to Restore the monarchy. That is the Romanovs. The issue would be which Romanov would be chosen as there are 2 main claimants to the throne.

But monarchies restored are rare. And very rarely generations later. The current claimants are several generations removed. Maria's grandfather was a cousin of Nicholas II.

One major issue would be the whole dynastic marriage laws, and if they have to be upheld.

Even if we were to do away with Maria's claim (based on her mother's family being a royal but not reigning house), there is an issue with who comes next. The Lennigen line is not clear. While Karl Einrich has actually converted to Orthodoxy and claimed the title Nicholas III, its not clear he has any claim even if Maria was passed over. Karl Einrich's younger brother Andreas became Duke of Lennigen due to Karl Einrich's non-dynastic marriage. If Maria and Georgi died without another heir, Andreas and not Karl Einrich is actually the next in succession based on dynastic marriage.

And unlike his brother, Andreas' children would be able to succeed.He made a dynastic marriage to Princess Alexandra of Hannover. His brother made a non-dynastic marriage to Countess Isabelle Egloffstein, so even if he was deemed acceptable, his only son would not be.

In fairness if you are going to play the dynastic marriage card and bypass Maria, the same would have to be done with Karl. And the rightful claim would be Andreas. There are others including Prince George of Prussia with a lesser claim in the maternal line as well.

Emperor Andreas (or Russian form), Empress Alexandra and Czarovich Ferdinand. Ferdinand also made a dynastic marriage to Princess Victoria of Prussia. A bit more secure (descendent wise) then Maria and unmarried Georgi at the moment.

Don't see it happening ever though. The only thrones with a real chance are ones not so long removed from the throne IMO like Romania or Greece. But still doubt those as well.

Indeed, but Greece is out of the question. We have seen the country rocking on its foundation, on the verge of collapsing, pulled away from a bankruptcy. Unbelievable draconic measures of austerity have (and still) hit the Greeks. But no any call for a return of the monarchy. If a country goes that deep and there is no any call to replace the dirty rotten, corrupt, nepotist, dysfunctional and inert state with a regime change, then Constantine and Paul can forget it.

Romania and Serbia are the closest to a functioning monachy inside a republican state. As said: when a state is a republic, why ever go back to a sitiatuon in which the citizens loose democratic rights?

Okay, there is corruption and nepotism in Romania and Serbia. But will making Princess Margareta and Prince Alexander Queen of Romania resp. King of Serbia these coutries better functioning states? Will the corruption and nepotism disappear as snow for the sun when there is no elected president in that presidential palace but a Hohenzollern or Karadordevic?

Princess Margareta and Prince Alexander have become very far. They should count their blessings. Former King Simeon came unbelievably close but blew it all up by acting as a partisan republican politician.

If they were to restore the monarchy, it would be to Restore the monarchy. That is the Romanovs. The issue would be which Romanov would be chosen as there are 2 main claimants to the throne.

But monarchies restored are rare. And very rarely generations later. The current claimants are several generations removed. Maria's grandfather was a cousin of Nicholas II.

One major issue would be the whole dynastic marriage laws, and if they have to be upheld.

Even if we were to do away with Maria's claim (based on her mother's family being a royal but not reigning house), there is an issue with who comes next. The Lennigen line is not clear. While Karl Einrich has actually converted to Orthodoxy and claimed the title Nicholas III, its not clear he has any claim even if Maria was passed over. Karl Einrich's younger brother Andreas became Duke of Lennigen due to Karl Einrich's non-dynastic marriage. If Maria and Georgi died without another heir, Andreas and not Karl Einrich is actually the next in succession based on dynastic marriage.

And unlike his brother, Andreas' children would be able to succeed.He made a dynastic marriage to Princess Alexandra of Hannover. His brother made a non-dynastic marriage to Countess Isabelle Egloffstein, so even if he was deemed acceptable, his only son would not be.

In fairness if you are going to play the dynastic marriage card and bypass Maria, the same would have to be done with Karl. And the rightful claim would be Andreas. There are others including Prince George of Prussia with a lesser claim in the maternal line as well.

Emperor Andreas (or Russian form), Empress Alexandra and Czarovich Ferdinand. Ferdinand also made a dynastic marriage to Princess Victoria of Prussia. A bit more secure (descendent wise) then Maria and unmarried Georgi at the moment.

Don't see it happening ever though. The only thrones with a real chance are ones not so long removed from the throne IMO like Romania or Greece. But still doubt those as well.

When Georg Prinz von Preußen / Grand-Prince Georgy (the son of Maria), himself the product of two Ebenbürtige partners, marries a commoner, the whole claim of Grand-Princess Maria on the headship of the House is in jeopardy. That claim is partly based on the fact that the other claimants have married outside the norms. Yes, there are claimants questioning Maria's mother Princess Leonida Georgievna Bagration-Mukhraneli, if she exactly fits in the norm or not. But when that question is raised by claimants themselves born from commoners then you see how weak their arguments are.

Anyway, when Georg / Georgy choses a commoner, Maria's claim tumbles down. That is clear. Then the order of consanguity to the last Tsar becomes leading, no longer marred with controverses about partners, as all claimants then will have married outside the norm.

I consider Princess Leonida Georgievna Bagration-Mukhraneli, Countess Sveva della Gherardesca and Countess Praskiova Dimitrievna Sheremeteva "befitting" the norm to beware too much discussion. But the descandants of the last two all married commoners. The descendant of Leonida married a Prince of Prussia and we are awaiting what Georg / Georgy will do. If he marries an Ebenbürtige partner, this will continue Maria's claim, that is clear.

Last edited:
Indeed, but Greece is out of the question. We have seen the country rocking on its foundation, on the verge of collapsing, pulled away from a bankruptcy. Unbelievable draconic measures of austerity have (and still) hit the Greeks. But no any call for a return of the monarchy. If a country goes that deep and there is no any call to replace the dirty rotten, corrupt, nepotist, dysfunctional and inert state with a regime change, then Constantine and Paul can forget it.

Plus the jet setting Instagram lavish lifestyle of the Crown Princely Family are so far removed from reality and have virtually no connection to the Greek people.

Its a pity that Nikolaos and Tatiana are not the Crown Princely couple.

Honestly, I wasn't really thinking of any known dynasty altogether. I mean there have been times where prominent families became royal dynasties themselves like the Bernadottes, the Bonapartes, the Pahlavis, and the Zogus is an instance. So it wouldn't that far fetch for another random powerful family to claim the status as a royal family or Russia right?

-Frozen Royalist

Honestly, I'm just waiting for the Habsburgs in Austria to receive the same treatment as their Romanian and Serbian counterparts with recognition within the constitution. Considering that 20% of Austrians would support a restoration, this would be a step in the right direction.

-Frozen Royalist

Where do you have that number from?
I can assure you there is no support for a monarchy in Austria. Most people would laugh their heads off about such an idea.

Otto von Habsburg was a highly respected man but even he had no chance to restore the monarchy.

And considering the last emperor/empress stole the crown jewels when they left in 1918 what kind of treatment should the Habsburgs receive?. That for any thieves?
I think it was already very generous of Austria to allow the last empress to be buried in the Kapuzinergruft.

I can assure you there is no support for a monarchy in Austria. Most people would laugh their heads off about such an idea.

Otto von Habsburg was a highly respected man but even he had no chance to restore the monarchy.

And considering the last emperor/empress stole the crown jewels when they left in 1918 what kind of treatment should the Habsburgs receive?. That for any thieves?
I think it was already very generous of Austria to allow the last empress to be buried in the Kapuzinergruft.

I mean this poll:
https://www.efe.com/efe/english/pat...some-nostalgic-for-monarchy/50000268-3809622#

Well, currently 5% of the Mexican population would support the nation becoming a constitutional monarchy, considering there aren't any real pretenders this isn't surprising.

On the plus side, there is a new political party known as the Imperialist Party seeking to do a restoration and judging from the photo there are at least young members so that's at least a good sign. I just hope they have a good PR strategy if they seek to establish a Third Mexican Empire which would rather be interesting in my opinion. Still, it is good to hear that there are still some Mexican monarchists after all these years and I wish them the best of luck.

https://www.sdpnoticias.com/naciona...ialista-busca-convertirse-en-partido-politico

-Frozen Royalist

Well, currently 5% of the Mexican population would support the nation becoming a constitutional monarchy, considering there aren't any real pretenders this isn't surprising.

On the plus side, there is a new political party known as the Imperialist Party seeking to do a restoration and judging from the photo there are at least young members so that's at least a good sign. I just hope they have a good PR strategy if they seek to establish a Third Mexican Empire which would rather be interesting in my opinion. Still, it is good to hear that there are still some Mexican monarchists after all these years and I wish them the best of luck.

https://www.sdpnoticias.com/naciona...ialista-busca-convertirse-en-partido-politico

-Frozen Royalist

Its not an issue of heir. But the real lack of imperial history to restore. Besides colonial control, Mexico doesn't really have any deep royal connection to restore. There have been 2 emperors of Mexico, neither of whom ruled for long. One was emperor for a year, and the other for 3. They were both deposed and executed.

There is a claimant recognized by any imperialists. Maximilian Gotzen-Iturbide. The Iturbide dynasty are the family of the first of the 2 emperors, Augustin. Maximilian adopted two of Augustin's grandsons as his heirs. The eldest died childless. The youngest Salvador has female line descendants. Maximilian is the grandson of his eldest daughter (through his mother). He has two sons as well as a sister with seven kids. But Maximilian is a Hungarian-Australian business man with no interest in a claim, and only real connection beyond heritage to Mexico is a few business holdings.

Its not an issue of heir. But the real lack of imperial history to restore. Besides colonial control, Mexico doesn't really have any deep royal connection to restore. There have been 2 emperors of Mexico, neither of whom ruled for long. One was emperor for a year, and the other for 3. They were both deposed and executed.

There is a claimant recognized by any imperialists. Maximilian Gotzen-Iturbide. The Iturbide dynasty are the family of the first of the 2 emperors, Augustin. Maximilian adopted two of Augustin's grandsons as his heirs. The eldest died childless. The youngest Salvador has female line descendants. Maximilian is the grandson of his eldest daughter (through his mother). He has two sons as well as a sister with seven kids. But Maximilian is a Hungarian-Australian business man with no interest in a claim, and only real connection beyond heritage to Mexico is a few business holdings.

The Spanish Duke of Moctezuma de Tultengo, Juan José Marcilla de Teruel-Moctezuma y Valcárcel is a descendant of the Aztec Emperor Moctezuma II.

With the penchant for political dynasties in the Philippines, it has a chance of becoming a monarchy. In fact, there's a political party there (though still unregistered) that's calling for the country to become a constitutional monarchy with the Head of State being the pretender to the Habsburg throne.

If the Philippines were to go towards that direction, it should rather go for someone who actually comes from the country and has no background as an elected official, celebrity, or is not from those conglomerate families. Just to be sure that the country doesn't end up with someone who is going to put themselves before the Crown. Probably someone from one of the country's indigenous groups could step up as monarch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nowadays I don't think that such a situation is possible, there may be some political parties or movements that are trying this but the current world situation is too dynamic, everything happens too fast for a full monarchy to govern successfully.

I don't think anyone suggests an absolute monarchy governing a country.

But a constitutional monarchy like the Uk, Denmark and so on. Many of the former monarchies do have a small role in their country already. Like the Romanian royal family for instance. Making it official, and giving them some official ceremonial role once again, is the question really here.

I did not realize that Emperor Charles I/ Empress Zita had taken any crown jewels. Were these crown jewels of Austria? Or were these crown jewels of Hungary?

My thought

Hello everyone, my name is Benita. I'm a new member and it is a pleasure to be here.

I totally agree with GrandDuchessOlga, chances of a monarchy returning are extremely low but still very possible.

Current State of Czech Monarchism

Currently in the Czech Republic, or Czechia, the most significant party advocating for the nation to become a constitutional monarchy Koruna Ceska (monarchistická strana Čech, Moravy a Slezska) or simply translated to the Czech Crown (Monarchist Party of Bohemia, Moravia and Silesia).

The party currently has around 800 members as of writing this post and in the 2017 legislative election, the party ran in coalition with TOP 09 and got 5.35% of the vote. in the 2019 European Parliament election, Koruna Ceska ran in coalition with KDU-CSL (Christian and Democratic Union - Czechoslovak People's Party) and got 7.24% of the vote. The coalitions allowed Koruna Ceska to get two seats in the Senate and currently there are three party members who are in local offices in the nation.

Koruna Ceska advocates for a member of the House of Habsburg-Lorraine to become the king or queen of a restored Czech Kingdom. Around 15% of the population supports turning the nation into a monarchy of some form, more Czechs want the monarchy to be constitutional than absolute.

The Czech monarchist movement has been rather active in the nation with protests against the nation's prime minister and president, so the the movement is visible and known to exist. Most of their protests consists of hundreds, if not around a thousand monarchists.

The fact that KC associates with two center-right wing parties does give me some hope for the nation's monarchist movement thankfully not being tainted with the far right unlike other restoration movements.

Scotland?

I was wondering lately about Scotland. The independence movement there is still going strong.

And I don't know what drives them to leave the UK for Europe, but a Scottish Monarch would then end the last ties with the Commonwealth and England.

I think the failure of the UK is, that everybody has a different accent, what creates group identities. In Germany we have "Hochdeutsch", High German, and it is the official and only accent in the Radio and TV. It is, like everybody in the medias of th UK would speak "the Queen's English".

BTW My accent in speaking English is alledgedly "American/Prussian". I don't know, if this is a compliment... :whistling:

I was wondering lately about Scotland. The independence movement there is still going strong.

And I don't know what drives them to leave the UK for Europe, but a Scottish Monarch would then end the last ties with the Commonwealth and England.

I think the failure of the UK is, that everybody has a different accent, what creates group identities. In Germany we have "Hochdeutsch", High German, and it is the official and only accent in the Radio and TV. It is, like everybody in the medias of th UK would speak "the Queen's English".

BTW My accent in speaking English is alledgedly "American/Prussian". I don't know, if this is a compliment... :whistling:

I highly doubt having different accents is the cause for a split. Most countries have a range of accents. Look at the USA which is a prime example. Though I do think the UK has likely more for its size then any other country.

Trying to enforce one accent on the public will never create unity.

I never picked up any accent when I lived in the UK for two years (some people seem to quickly I never did). But I picked up a lot of the slang and phrasing. And even a decade later I still use a lot of it.

Who would be the 'Scottish monarch'? The most logical claim would be the Jacobites but are the Scots going to adopt a German as their monarch?

Yes I know 'well the Windsors have German blood'. But modern sensibilities are different. I don't see them choosing to displace the English monarch who has Scottish roots, for a German prince.

Then the question who if you went with Jacobites. Prince Franz, Duke of Bavaria has no children and his heir is his brother Max. Max's eldest daughter is the consort of Hereditary prince of Liechtenstein and her eldest is heir to that title. I guess one of Max's younger daughters, or grandchildren could be chosen.

There is other reasons for rising Scottish independence. It is not only just dialect or even their own language. Several countries have many different dialects and minority languages but still not such separatism. Language darely is only reason.

Most important separatist party SNP (Scottish Naitonal Party) is strongly republican. It is really unlikely that Scotland would become monarchy again when and if it re-gain its independence. Usually new nations become republics not monarchies.

For Scotland, i don’t think the scots will accept a new Head of State after independence without a referendum... And i think both Charles and William has quite a big chans of actually winning such a referendum... Charles and Camilla both have scottish roots... William have scottish roots even on Dianas side i think ? ?

I don’t see why they would vote in The Duke of Bavaria who has hardly anything with Scotland to do, except that old claim that he does not even claim ;)

Another logical choice maybe would be the premier peer of Scotland who carries The Scottish Crown during the opening of their parliament, The Duke of Hamilton and Brandon. Not Really a royal but a nobleman with a long scottish linage (even to the old scottish kings). And he is quite young and a married Father of 3 sons.

For Scotland, i don’t think the scots will accept a new Head of State after independence without a referendum... And i think both Charles and William has quite a big chans of actually winning such a referendum... Charles and Camilla both have scottish roots... William have scottish roots even on Dianas side i think ? ?

I don’t see why they would vote in The Duke of Bavaria who has hardly anything with Scotland to do, except that old claim that he does not even claim ;)

Another logical choice maybe would be the premier peer of Scotland who carries The Scottish Crown during the opening of their parliament, The Duke of Hamilton and Brandon. Not Really a royal but a nobleman with a long scottish linage (even to the old scottish kings). And he is quite young and a married Father of 3 sons.

If Scotland pulls out of hte UK, it will become a republic. Cant imagine why they would have some Jacobite German

If Scotland pulls out of hte UK, it will become a republic.

Agree 100% and it could happen in the next decade & a Republic of Scotland is a very strong possibility.

Cant imagine why they would have some Jacobite German

Why a Jacobite? They could have as Monarch, whomever they like - like Norway did. The start of the ruling dynasty there was an election out of a bunch of Danish noblemen.

Why a Jacobite? They could have as Monarch, whomever they like - like Norway did. The start of the ruling dynasty there was an election out of a bunch of Danish noblemen.
They are not going to have a separate monarchy

If Scotland pulls out of hte UK, it will become a republic. Cant imagine why they would have some Jacobite German

Exactly. Major separatist party SNP is pretty strongly republican and I bit doubt that in Scotland is much of support for their own monarch. Monarchy is not even norm for new nations even if they have been such on the past. Scottish monarchy hasn't been around in centuries anyway. It mgiht be possible that Scotland would be independent with dominion status like many other Commonwealth nation but even that is not very likely.

And I doubt strongly that duke of Bavaria becomes king. With my knowledge the house is not intrested and I bit doubt that they are even very famous in Scotland. And can anyone even speak Scots? English probably but I doubt that anyone speak Scots. On the past it wasn't problem but nowadays it might be problem if head of state can't speak language of his people.

Ofcourse they can.... As can every other still existing monarchy as well !

But the thread topic is ”Wich country could become a monarchy again” so i thought it was that we discussed and NOT ”Wich country is the next to scrap the monarchy”......

Best chances might have with Montenegro, Serbia and Romania. But even witht hem I am but suspicious. And what longer a country has been republic more implausible is restoration.

And with some countries problem is that there is not clear heir to throne.
Nepal is only one with a realistic chance

Back
Top Bottom