Stephanie's image (in and outside Monaco )

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

michelle

Heir Presumptive
City
Country
Germany
Having tuned in again I found this discussion going on in the Red Cross Ball - thread about Stephanie, her choices, her image, how she's perceived, how she comes across ( if all of this isn't the same thing :bang::ROFLMAO::p:) ), her status and image in Monaco and the world.

I think the Red Cross- thread is not the right place to talk about that but I believe that there are opinions and views on that to be shared.
My brothers reaction on some posts might seem a little too harsh but he's not as blinded by his "love" :cool::p for Stephanie as it might seem:p.
We both accept points of view and observation.

Stephanie's image in Monaco and in France as well a bit is very different from what she is percieved like in other places.
I believe her popularity in Monaco will never fade.
As much as I personally like Charlene and believe that she'll be representing something very special to the monegasque people as their sovereign princess, I think Stephanie will always stay the most popular member of the princely family , in Monaco, of course. There seems to be a very special bond between the people of Monaco and her. It's always been there.
( I'm not saying this because she's my favourite member of the pf, which she is :):cool:, but because I've observed that and heard that very often - can anyone confirm this or do you guys have differnt info ? )

Stephanie's image in Sweden.

I think it is an interesting topic you initiated and I'd like to contribute.

I sadly note that Stephanie's image in Sweden is just as "bad" as it was twenty years ago.

Once I joined a forum for the biggest Swedish magazine, and wrote a few facts about Stephanie's life these days. Not many men, no scandals really, no nothing, but a hard working woman and a busy mother. I wanted to test whether that post would be left alone or commented. A few days later I discovered that my post was deleted by moderator! I must have expressed something unexpected, which made her "look good"... or something.

The press wants Stephanie looking bad in people's eyes and whoever following Swedish media I'm sure still thinks of her as the one who's run away with the circus, or who has slept with far too many men. Nobody mentions that she is funny, a good media person (which she has become) representing a lot more than FAM only and that she really is a down to earth person doing her thing.

The fact that she doesn't even show kiss her boyfriend in public (I haven't seen any pics for years with her kissing anyone) makes me think that she really has become independent. Previously she always looked for shelter and protection by somebody's side, it seemed. Now she seems fine. She seems content. She just is. Good for her!

I wish her the best always and what's best for her is not for me to know.

:author:

Having tuned in again I found this discussion going on in the Red Cross Ball - thread about Stephanie, her choices, her image, how she's perceived, how she comes across ( if all of this isn't the same thing :bang::ROFLMAO::p:) ), her status and image in Monaco and the world.

I think the Red Cross- thread is not the right place to talk about that but I believe that there are opinions and views on that to be shared.
My brothers reaction on some posts might seem a little too harsh but he's not as blinded by his "love" :cool::p for Stephanie as it might seem:p.
We both accept points of view and observation.

Stephanie's image in Monaco and in France as well a bit is very different from what she is percieved like in other places.
I believe her popularity in Monaco will never fade.
As much as I personally like Charlene and believe that she'll be representing something very special to the monegasque people as their sovereign princess, I think Stephanie will always stay the most popular member of the princely family , in Monaco, of course. There seems to be a very special bond between the people of Monaco and her. It's always been there.
( I'm not saying this because she's my favourite member of the pf, which she is :):cool:, but because I've observed that and heard that very often - can anyone confirm this or do you guys have differnt info ? )

I agree-Princess Stephanie's image is perceived in different part of the world differently, but she will always be loved by the people of Monaco and her popularity will prevail over the other members of the princely family no matter what she does.
I think that part of the reason why she is the most popular of her siblings, nieces, nephews, children,and the De Massy family is the fact that she was in the accident with Grace, so they all felt her pain and watched (and still watch) her suffer from being in the accident with her mother.

I agree-Princess Stephanie's image is perceived in different part of the world differently, but she will always be loved by the people of Monaco and her popularity will prevail over the other members of the princely family no matter what she does.
I think that part of the reason why she is the most popular of her siblings, nieces, nephews, children,and the De Massy family is the fact that she was in the accident with Grace, so they all felt her pain and watched (and still watch) her suffer from being in the accident with her mother.

I agree to some extent. i believe the poeple of Monaco have always been feeling for her. She's refered to as "la benjamine" ( the youngest child) and I think generally the monegasque feel very close to her.
Also in France she's perceived rather positively. She and Caroline have always been their princesses too somehow. At least thats how it comes across to me.
In the US I don't know. In Germany...well...it depends. Some media still paint the picture Kiina mentioned.

On the contrary I've also read or heard once ( don't remeber) that people in Monaco roll their eyes when Stephanie's name is mentioned and that they don't take her seriously - but that's not what I know of.
I've also come across a lot of pride when it comes to their youngest princess. I see her very much respected there.

In my experience Stephanie is quite beloved in Monaco (not that the other members are not -it's not a competition) because she just seems "closer" to them in a way. I've noticed it myself but it is hard to put into words. Part of it is sympathy for all she went through and part of it is because she has struggled to find her path but has always had an attractive personality; creative, adventurous, down-to-earth, compassionate etc. Those of us who adore her do so flaws and all. We all make mistakes, Stephanie made her's but she has a good heart, she does her best and I think in regards to the Monegasque she feels like the closest member of their larger family.

:monacostandard: :monacoflag:

Bones, you've hit the nail on the head.
You used the word "closer" - I would describe her as being perceived as "a normal person", but with a - very interesting - past.

Women can identify with her, especially women who have had rather turbulent lives, and yet they come out of it smelling of roses!

Yes I agree with earlier posts. Grace's comment to her biographer Gwen Robyns that she was her "wild child" & the many indulgencies she received from both her parents ( & perhaps Albert) suggest she is someone who can inspire love & bring out the best in others. Sadly she strikes me as having paid a high price ta times for wearing her heart on her sleeve. Since Albert became sovereign, she appears to have reached some form of compliance with her role as a princess, but other than in Monaco & perhaps to some extent France, she retains the image of a "loose canon". The media will always exploit this. I personally find her a very interesting woman who I think will remain so right into old age.

Personally I think Stephanie gets a pass in all aspects of life and I find it ironic and at times very frustrating that other people who marry (and date) in today's royal famlilies get judged by a higher standard that Stephanie IMO doesn't herself hold up to.

I don't think people in the United States think much one way or the other about her. She's a woman in her 40s who had affairs with her body guards, had several illegitimate children, has a string of failed and kind of silly careers for a princess (rock star, circus, etc.) I only know that much about her because I grew up at a time when she was still in the paper and people still cared who Grace Kelly was. I'd be surprised if most people here even know who Prince Albert is. The Casiraghi kids show up occasionally in People but even they would probably rate a "Who are they?"

It's understandable that people in the US don't find her interesting. PA tends to hog the limelight :) when he visits the States.

I think Stephanie had a holiday in the US last year - am I right ??

I don't think people in the United States think much one way or the other about her. She's a woman in her 40s who had affairs with her body guards, had several illegitimate children, has a string of failed and kind of silly careers for a princess (rock star, circus, etc.) I only know that much about her because I grew up at a time when she was still in the paper and people still cared who Grace Kelly was. I'd be surprised if most people here even know who Prince Albert is. The Casiraghi kids show up occasionally in People but even they would probably rate a "Who are they?"

I've said it once, I'll say it again: People here in the US are Hollywood obsessed, rather than royalty obsessed. I agree-I think *most people (unless they are American royal watchers)* wouldn't know who any of the Grimaldi's are, with the exception of Grace Kelly.

It's understandable that people in the US don't find her interesting. PA tends to hog the limelight :) when he visits the States.

I think Stephanie had a holiday in the US last year - am I right ??

I think she took the kids to Cali and NY about this time last year. I want to say she brings them here every year for a vacation, at least in recent years-I remember reading something in 2008 about her having a "Mommy Moment" after taking the kids (then 15, 14, and 10 respectively) to see the Broadway Musical Hair and bolting out with all three kids at the end of the 1st act when an actor came out nudebefore intermission.

I agree with goddess that the press doesn't really follow royalty here. That said, in the last year I have begun to see a few blips in my local newspaper on Monaco. The only thing I've seen on PS is a picture of her handing out presents to the elderly last Christmas.

I agree with goddess that the press doesn't really follow royalty here. That said, in the last year I have begun to see a few blips in my local newspaper on Monaco. The only thing I've seen on PS is a picture of her handing out presents to the elderly last Christmas.

Exactly. if ANY royal family is followed, it's the Windsors (Great Britian-QEII, Charles, etc...), but the little princely family of Monaco, even with their American roots, not so much. The last thing I saw in local papers here (other than PA getting engaged that is) was the whole Caro-Ernest disaster this winter, and even THAT was just a little itty bitty thing in the papers.

Hello,
my first post, I'm from germany and had just talked with some co-workers about Stephanie a few days ago, I wanted to share the "results".

We talked about her failed relationships, her disastrous first marriage and her living with a circus. If she would be one of us, we would have said that she lived a quite hard life with lots of bad luck.

Some of us think that she seems like a deeply distraught person, the tragedy with her mother, her struggle to be independent left her exhausted, she looks older than she is.

We all admire her as a good, caring mother, we agree that she went through hell and back, made some really bad decisions but stood tall and grew from the results. All 5 females talking agreed that Stephanie comes across as totally likeable. She is vulvernable, but also quite strong and she comes across as a REAL person, down to earth and a fighter. She was born wealthy but being a Princess never seemed to work for her, she wanted a normal life and she got it.

That's all I have to say :), it is not that we have nothing else to do at work than gossip about royals...

Last edited:
As someone mentioned previously, Stephanie is not of much interest in the USA, and hasn't been for many years.
But when she was in the media frequently, she wasn't well-regarded.
I recall reading items that questioned her mental stability, and even denigrated her for her moral character.

We talked about her moral character, too, but we all felt that she was better off with her honesty, her decisions maybe questionable, but after all, her sister hit the deepest possible low score with her marriage to Ernst August, a man who has zero moral, no common sense and absolutely no redeeming factor at all, never had, never will. No matter how we feel about Stephanies lovers, Carolines taste in men is far worse and she even married this - well - bloke.

I'm sorry, I have no respect for Princess Stephanie. I mean, please. Birthing illegitimate children, joining the circus???

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry but what illegitimate 'children'? She married Ducruet so those two are legit right? And am I the only one who thinks "legitimate" and "illegitimate" is a little harsh on children? I know it certainly matters in legal terms but it seems absurd to me to hold Princess Stephanie in contempt for that. She's the youngest daughter in a male-preference monarchy, so what. Royal heirs, reigning princes, kings, emperors and even a few popes have had children out of wedlock. Even today there are some and given the changes in public morality these days I'm always amazed that this comes up regarding Princess Stephanie. I'm not saying it is the ideal situation, but life happens and I'm glad she did the responsible thing, had the children and has been the best mother she could to them. I've been very impressed (perhaps even a little surprised) at what an attentive mother she has been.

Seriously though, in an age when fewer than ever even get married and most who do end up divorced (it's far from a genuine life-long commitment anymore) is it really such an unpardonable sin to have children out of wedlock? For anyone? Especially for the youngest of a princely family who certainly never held herself up to be some sort of moral icon?

:monacostandard: :monacoflag:

I'm sorry, I have no respect for Princess Stephanie. I mean, please. Birthing illegitimate children, joining the circus???

See the Grimaldi children over the decades. They are a bunch of people who more or less don't give a flying cent about what people think of them. Isn't it more likely that their upbringing was free, their education rather liberal? We all are partly shaped by what our parents find important or not. (...)

Andrea, Alexandra, Louis, Pauline, Camilla, Alexandre und Jazmin are Graces grandchildren, "produced" out of wedlock. Is that any of their fault and are they less worthy then Charlotte and Pierre?

We talked about her moral character, too, but we all felt that she was better off with her honesty, her decisions maybe questionable, but after all, her sister hit the deepest possible low score with her marriage to Ernst August, a man who has zero moral, no common sense and absolutely no redeeming factor at all, never had, never will. No matter how we feel about Stephanies lovers, Carolines taste in men is far worse and she even married this - well - bloke.

True, Caroline wasn't well-regarded either, mostly because of her disastrous marriages:
1. Junot- aging playboy rumored to have married her because someone bet him he couldn't.

2. Stefano- rather dim playboy whole sole interests were things like speedboats and skiing. His death at such a young age garnered much sympathy for Caroline, which she totally destroyed by wedding

3. Ernst. Let's not go there.

It seemed odd that Grace, the epitome of elegance with her cool porcelain beauty, should have daughters so unlike her, but there's no knowing what the gene pool will turn up.

What did this man do to you, many of you, to dislike him so much? We barely know Ernst of Hanover, we haven´t seen him through the years in the spotlight like the Grimaildis´s. We don´t know almost anything about his personality. He hated papparazzi´s, he was not used to them. But "zero moral"?
What does it have to do with Stepnahie??

True, Caroline wasn't well-regarded either, mostly because of her disastrous marriages:
1. Junot- aging playboy rumored to have married her because someone bet him he couldn't.

Which ones? She divorced once. She was married to Ernst more than a decade. How long do you think a marriage lasts these days. Or maybe you believe in the long time relationship older royals have "for convenience".

2. Stefano- rather dim playboy whole sole interests were things like speedboats and skiing. His death at such a young age garnered much sympathy for Caroline, which she totally destroyed by wedding

It seemed odd that Grace, the epitome of elegance with her cool porcelain beauty, should have daughters so unlike her, but there's no knowing what the gene pool will turn up.

Playboy? He had a couple of girlfriends before Caroline. He almost didn´t have time to be a playboy. he married at 23.

What do you mean so unlike her? In spite of developping a tender relationship over the years, Grace married with someone she had seen twice. In this, I am with the Grimaldi girls. They DID marry for love.

I´m sorry this is so out of topic. Once in a while a Caroline and Stephanie hater comes here with their moral teachings.

She was married to Ernst more than a decade. How long do you think a marriage lasts these days. Or maybe you believe in the long time relationship older royals have "for convenience".

Ernst August openly goes out with various lovers for quite some time now and it is no secret that he and Caroline do not live together anymore. They married because Caroline was pregnant, certainly "for convenience" and I believe that they don't divorce "for convenience". With his behaviour over the years he tarnished Carolines image, certainly made a fool of himself and cemented his status as a really unpleasant, unlikeable man.

The purpose of this thread is to discuss Stephanie's image In and Out of Monaco.

It has nothing to do with the specifics of Caroline's relationships and/or marriages.

Let's get back on topic.

That time when she ran off to travel with the circus will haunt her image (IMO) forever. She's always had the wild child image.

Once in a while a Caroline and Stephanie hater comes here with their moral teachings.

Oh, now, I doubt anybody hates them. Why would they?
Hate is a strong word, and it's a far cry from not thinking well of someone and hating that person.

I can honestly say I don't hate Stephanie (or Caroline, either). I haven't given either a thought in years until I came across this forum.
I just don't think they have any class.

The Robert Lacey biography on Princess Grace only talks about little about Stephanie (most about her relationship with Grace and what Grace thought of Stephanie's behavior), but it seems to allude to an idea that she would rather not be a "princess" (a la do the duties and things a princess is supposed to do a part of her role) and would rather have a normal, non-royal life.

If that is the case, then I can give Princess Stephanie a pass on the many things she has done. In a lot of ways, her tragetory is like a typical child star from Hollywood: brought up to have no other choice but to be an actor so the person rebels (via drugs, music, clothes or other things). Once the rebellion stages passes, the child star either continues acting or leaves the industry altogether. Stephanie does seem to have found a balance between being a royal and having a personal life.

I wonder if people in general would still be so judgmental of her if she wasn't a princess? While she has done some crazy stuff, so have a lot of non-royal people when they are trying to figure out their identity for themselves. The difference is the whole world got to see Stephanie act out while Jane Doe's antics never were even a blip on the radar. To go back to my previous comparison, even the child stars of Hollywood get cut some slack during their difficult phrase.

As for having her children being born out-of-wedlock, I personally don't care. It's the 21th century where I live, and I don't think people should have to marry if and when they choose to have children (and many people choose not to). In fact, I find it refreshing and modern of her to eschew marriage, but still have children.

I do care if Stephanie is a good, caring mother to her children: to me, that reflects more on her image than the circumstances of their births. From what I've read here and other places, she does seem very protective and pro-active in their lives.

Whatever her antics were, she seems to have a low profile nowadays.

As for having her children being born out-of-wedlock, I personally don't care. It's the 21th century where I live, and I don't think people should have to marry if and when they choose to have children (and many people choose not to). In fact, I find it refreshing and modern of her to eschew marriage, but still have children.

Good point, and not exactly unheard of in her own family. Aunt Antoinette had 3 children out of wedlock before marrying and divorcing their father. Even Caroline married husbands 2 & 3 while already pregnant.
The Grimaldi are not exactly traditional when it comes to children and marriage.

Not traditional, but conspicuously Catholic makes for an interesting combination!

Good point, and not exactly unheard of in her own family. Aunt Antoinette had 3 children out of wedlock before marrying and divorcing their father. Even Caroline married husbands 2 & 3 while already pregnant.
The Grimaldi are not exactly traditional when it comes to children and marriage.

Let's not forget Albert's contributions to the family legacy. And, to their credit, at least Stephanie and Caroline are hands-on in their children's lives and and more than that--made sure the fathers of their children were/are involved in the parenting. Albert seems to come across as a dead-beat Dad by comparison. (I'm NOT saying he is, but in comparison to Caro and Steph and their families, he does seem ....lacking.)

As a whole though, all the Grimaldis seem more modern in their thinking than their other royal counterparts. They marry, divorce, remarry, have children regardless of martial status, and keep soldiering on. It not not be respectable, but it is what it is. At any rate, they are good at adapting to change and come what may. (Especially when compared to the British Royals, who can barely deal with divorce or scandal or any kind without freezing up to the nth degree. IMO, they still can't even deal with the legacy of the Duke and Duchess of Windsor, let alone more recent history.)

Back
Top Bottom