The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-01-2010, 02:48 PM
Serene Highness

Her Majesty did look amazing today in Canadian colours. Kudos to the speech writer for putting in a mention of Sidney Crosby's Gold Medal Hockey winning goal in her speech. If anything would produce a cheer from the crowd, that did it!!

Peter Mansbridge was chuckling over the Barenaked Ladies being there and The Queen's possible reaction to them. As my Mom remarked, she's got Grandchildren. She's more than likely heard about them long before now. LOL!!!

Joannie looked wonderful, especially after the packed few months she's put in w/touring and personal appearances. Although, I'm sure she never expected w/all of the requests she's gotten by people to touch her Olympic Medal that Her Majesty would be one of them. What a moment for her!!

I've been watching Joannie for close to ten years now, so it's the feeling of a big sister watching a little sister when it comes to stuff like this for me and any of our current figure skating team members, so...Yeah, that was a moment for me today.

And the third time was the charm for the Snowbirds!!! It wouldn't be Canada Day w/out them doing The Canada Burst over The Hill after all. All these years of seeing them and it still gives me the chills watching them thunder over...Well...Anywhere. Even if it's only on TV.

What a day it was. Happy Canada Day Everyone!!!

Old 07-01-2010, 04:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

Old 07-01-2010, 04:47 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elise27 View Post
And I was shocked watching a report and seeing the 89 year old prince philip and 84 year old queen going up a long set of stairs like nothing. Although it did look like the prince is in even better shape than the queen considering he's almost 90. The queen did kind of look up like thinking "when are these steps going to end" lol. May they have many more years in such health!
I understand that they use the stairs all the time at Buckingham Palace, so it must keep them in good shape!
Old 07-01-2010, 07:19 PM
Serene Highness

As usual the Queen did not disappoint us today when she gave a speech in Ottawa to capacity of thoudsands of people for our National Holiday Canada day. She was dressed in red with a white hat- and red flower- trdaitional pearls etc..Prince Philip still looked dashing... The crowd was enthralled;Many kind thanks to Her Majesty and Happy Canada Day!
Old 07-01-2010, 10:06 PM
Courtier

BBC News has a short clip on the Canada Day Celebrations attended by the Queen BBC News - Queen marks Canada Day in Ottawa

I hope all the Canadians out there enjoyed their national day
Old 07-01-2010, 10:31 PM
Gentry

Here are some of my photos from this magnificent afternoon. Click on the photo of HM watching the flypast with the (remaining) Barenaked Ladies. LOL

Old 07-01-2010, 10:42 PM
Nobility

The red dress surprised me. It didn't seem like her color. Then I realized that with the white hat & pearls, she's in the national colors!
Old 07-02-2010, 03:29 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Brunei, Malaysia & Dubai

bweir your photos are wonderful.
The Queen looked amazing and managed to stand out in a sea of red and white.

Here are some of my screen caps:
Image gallery

The Queen also sat down for a portrait today, for her Diamond Jubilee. I heard on one of the broadcasts that she will be returning to Canada to mark the occasion.

Here are a couple of news clips from the CBC:
Celebrating Canada Day
Royal flower girls
Queen's Canada Day message
Old 07-02-2010, 04:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Once again bweir congrats on getting to see The Queen. your pictures are great, she certainly looked wonderful today!

btw Humera did you rip the show or are those caps ones you took while it was airing live?
Old 07-02-2010, 04:21 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Red letter day as The Queen and Prince Philip help Canada celebrate its birthday | Mail Online

That first picture is stunning, I love that she wore Red and White.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:37 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
btw Humera did you rip the show or are those caps ones you took while it was airing live?
I watched it live. I was hoping the CBC would have archived it on its site by now but they haven't unfortunately. I missed the first half of the show.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humera View Post
I watched it live. I was hoping the CBC would have archived it on its site by now but they haven't unfortunately. I missed the first half of the show.
Same here I don't understand why they haven't put it up yet hopefully tomorrow. I missed the second half. I was really tired and fell asleep during the second half.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:43 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by bweir View Post
Here are some of my photos from this magnificent afternoon. Click on the photo of HM watching the flypast with the (remaining) Barenaked Ladies. LOL

Ahhh--how did you get such good pictures?! You must have been right on the Hill.

I stood along Wellington Street yesterday waiting for the Queen to come by in the carriage. As I was waiting, I realized the carriage would probably come down the right side of the road and I was on the left...but at that point it was too late to move. I did get one picture of the Queen and Prince Philip going by in the carriage, but I don't have internet at home right now, so I can't post it.

Later on I met up with a friend who must have been near where you were, bweir. She said she just got lucky...was on the right side of the road as the Queen passed by, and then went up on Parliament Hill where she could see the Queen on the stage.

I did also get pictures of the Queen's standard flying above Parliament Hill--not a sight you see every day!

After the Canada Day ceremony yesterday, I can say that the Queen still has a lot of support in Canada. Thousands of people were lined up excited to see her. You could just see everyone's faces light up as she came by in the carriage. As my friends said, the Queen is one of a kind. I also have to say, after seeing her in person, she is really a beautiful lady. Also, I know she's "expected" to smile, but her smiles in Canada looked genuine--I have to think she really does feel, as she said, "at home" in Canada.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator

CTV Toronto - Queen meets with Ignatieff on quiet day - CTV News

Queen Elizabeth met with Liberal Leader Michael Ignatieff at Rideau Hall Friday, on a day when the Royals Couple is taking a break from their hectic visit to Canada.

Ignatieff and the Queen chatted in the large drawing room at the Governor General's official residence.
Old 07-02-2010, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator

Queen has ‘magnificent sense of humour,’ Ignatieff says

Turns out the Queen is a riot.

The 84-year-old’s speaking style is scripted and staid in public, but Liberal Leader Michael Ignatieff says Queen Elizabeth is quite funny in private.

. . . Speaking with reporters afterward, Mr. Ignatieff said the two “laughed a lot” over the course of a half hour.

“I have to be discreet. She’s the Queen. I can’t share what she said other than to say she has a magnificent sense of humour and sense of the absurd,” he said.

. . . The closest the Queen came to cracking a joke in public Friday was when she noted, just before meeting Mr. Ignatieff in the drawing room, that “the groundhogs were busy” in the gardens around the Governor-General’s residence.

Queen 'an absolute joy': Ignatieff

Before the Liberal leader entered the large drawing room at the Governor General's official residence, the Queen casually mentioned that she had seen groundhogs running around the Rideau Hall grounds the previous evening.

It was Ignatieff's second meeting with the monarch who, with Prince Philip, will make a whirlwind trip to Winnipeg Saturday before flying to Toronto to take in the Queen's Plate on Sunday.

Pictures of the meeting:
Photo 1
Photo 2
Photo 3
Photo 4
Photo 5
Old 07-02-2010, 08:42 PM
Heir Apparent

She really does have "majesty," which is really something in a lady who's so small. It's sad seeing her stopping more as the years go by, but she still has that wonderful smile and glow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay286 View Post
I also have to say, after seeing her in person, she is really a beautiful lady. Also, I know she's "expected" to smile, but her smiles in Canada looked genuine--I have to think she really does feel, as she said, "at home" in Canada.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:14 AM
Super Moderator

Hi all,

I probably won't be able to post the links to any of the live feeds for the rest of the visit as they become available, but if you go here, they are usually accessible in the "Latest Video" section on the right-hand side of the page. The events for today, July 3rd, start a little after noon Central time (1:00 PM Eastern and 6:00 PM BST).
Old 07-03-2010, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator

1. A couple of news clips from CTV: video - click on this link and you'll see footage of the Queen arriving in Winnipeg, leaving Ottawa

2. A short video clip of the Queen meeting with opposition leader Michael Ignatieff: Thestar.com - VideoZone
Old 07-03-2010, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator

Queen greeted by stifling humidity in Winnipeg - The Globe and Mail

Winnipeg's unfinished airport terminal had a royal christening this afternoon as Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh arrived as the building's first official passengers.

While the building will open to the public this Fall, selected guests were given a sneak peak of the sleek new facility timed for her majesty's arrival.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:15 AM
Super Moderator

Hectic schedule awaits Queen after royal entourage lands in Toronto - The Globe and Mail

Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh landed in Toronto Saturday evening, the last stop on their whirlwind Canadian tour.

Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty, federal Finance Minister Jim Flaherty, Ontario Lieutenant-Governor David Onley and other officials greeted the Queen and Prince Philip at Toronto’s Pearson International Airport. Their last visit to Toronto was in 2002.