The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-09-2010, 06:34 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Most people that are faced with meeting Philip I think would do a good job of imitating Bertie (George V) and be awkward and shy and have no clue what to say or do. Philip opens mouth and inserts foot and the ice is broken.
George VI was called Bertie among family and friends. George V was George.

And I have to agree, it's certainly a way to break the ice -- whether or not people are laughing or bristling with indignation.

Old 10-13-2010, 03:31 PM
Heir Apparent

My current favourite "Philip" gaffe happened at the Pope's visit to Edinburgh.

Philip stood next to Annabel Goldie (the leader of the Scottish Conservatives). He pointed out to her the tartan tie worn by Iain Gray (leader of the Scottish Labour Party) and asked Ms Goldie: "Do you wear tartan knickers?" Annabel responded: "I could not possibly comment".

Old 10-13-2010, 11:05 PM
Courtier

This was a 'Philip, do shut up' moment
Old 11-09-2010, 08:53 AM
Heir Apparent

Duke of Edinburgh jokes: 'They must breed orphans'

The Duke of Edinburgh 'did not cause offence' with a quip about Romanian orphans.

Duke of Edinburgh jokes: 'They must breed orphans' - Telegraph

Sounds familiar? They musthve a speacial PR team to deal with Philip's gaffes!
Old 11-25-2010, 02:03 PM
Majesty
TRF Author

oh dear. almost all smalltalk the Duke does in public is now being considered a "gaffe". the daily mail is getting boring.
'I've got to get back to work': Another classic gaffe from Prince Philip as he refuses to shake hands on royal visit | Mail Online
Old 01-06-2011, 11:51 PM
Commoner

I don't see the humor in children having dead parents.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:04 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trubie View Post
I don't see the humor in children having dead parents.
I'm one of those Romanian Orphans and I found the joke funny. Suppose it depends on your humour.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:33 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I'm one of those Romanian Orphans and I found the joke funny. Suppose it depends on your humour.
I really don't understand why he says half of these things, though. A lot of them come off as mean IMO.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:12 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
I really don't understand why he says half of these things, though. A lot of them come off as mean IMO.
They may come off as mean to you, but not everyone.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:05 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Of course some of the comments are quoted out of context and that makes them sound worse than they are. Sometimes they are genuine questions taken badly e.g. do you still spear people to Australian Aborigines - taken as an insult but he was genuinely asking particularly as recently there had been a case where native law had overruled white law in allowing an Aborigine to be speared as punishment for his actions rather than go to gaol.

Sometimes people take them as offensive who weren't there but the people who were actually saw it as a joke.

And sometimes they are foot in mouth comments.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:36 PM

He isn't trying to be mean. It is just his sense of humor. A few months ago I read that he mentioned something that sounded offensive to deaf people. When Philip was reminded about the comment, he mentioned that his mother was actually quite deaf and that he wouldn't ever make fun of it.

The point is...he's KIDDING!
Old 02-04-2011, 02:12 PM
Serene Highness

Obviously, people vary in their sense of humor. I can certain attest that not every orphan finds his orphan comments humorous, nor does every Russian find his Russian statement humorous and so on.

He is what he is. The Brits find him humorous, apparently, and that's his main gig - he's a British royal.

It seems it's funny mostly because it's cheeky and he can get away with it (symbolic of how he can get away with anything, which is a strong theme in the humor of many nations).

His humor does nothing for me (and I know lots of 90 somethings, myself, and I understand they have a different sense of humor). I like the word "gaffes" for what he does. It's interesting to me that he doesn't seem to see his appearances as "work," as here in America, when at work, such jokes are completely off limits. It's an interesting window into what it means to be a Royal.

He's obviously having a good time at it, and doesn't care what others think. I have an ex-husband who is a great deal the same way.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:57 PM
Serene Highness

Oh, and just to clarify, when Prince Philip says the Russian bastards slaughtered his family, he means his German family, correct? So, despite the fact that Russia came to Britain's aid in WW2, he still holds a grudge. Or is he speaking of some other slaughter?

Given how many Russians were slaughtered in the 20th century, particularly by Germans, it's an interesting "joke" to make. I am starting to see why he riles up my Russian family members though, living in America, I wasn't understanding it. We rarely hear anything he says out here in the American west!
Old 02-04-2011, 03:13 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post
Oh, and just to clarify, when Prince Philip says the Russian bastards slaughtered his family, he means his German family, correct? So, despite the fact that Russia came to Britain's aid in WW2, he still holds a grudge. Or is he speaking of some other slaughter?

Given how many Russians were slaughtered in the 20th century, particularly by Germans, it's an interesting "joke" to make. I am starting to see why he riles up my Russian family members though, living in America, I wasn't understanding it. We rarely hear anything he says out here in the American west!
When did he say this so called Russian joke?
And Russia came into WW2 for it's own reasons it had nothing to do with coming to Britains aid. But that doesn't belong here.
He could be counting the Russian Royals as his family.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:56 PM
Majesty

Quote:

He is referring to the murders of the Romanovs - his Russian relatives.

Nicholas II was his father's first cousin. Philip's paternal grandfather, George I of the Hellenes, was the younger brother of Nicholas II's mother. George I of the Hellenes, The Empress Marie Feodorvna (Nicholas' II mother) and Britain's Queen Alexandra (George V's mother) were all children of Christian IX of Denmark.

Christian - William (George I) - Andrew - Philip
Christian - Dagmar (Marie Feodorovna) - Nicholas II

Alexandra was his mother' aunt. Alexandra was the youngest sister of Philip's maternal grandmother, Victoria. Alexandra's sister, Elizabeth, was also murdered by the Bolsheviks and that was another great-aunt of Philip's. Alexandra's mother was Queen Victoria's second daughter, Princess Alice. The eldest of Princess Alice's daughters was also named Victoria and that second Victoria was the mother of both Philip's mother, Alice and Lord Mountbatten. It was from her apartment at KP that Philip left for his wedding in 1947.

Victoria - Alice - Alexandra
Victoria - Alice - Victorian - Alice - Philip

Add to that his paternal grandmother was Grand Duchess Olga Constantinovich - a granddaughter of Nicholas I and thus a first cousin to Alexander III (who was also her brother-in-law). Alexander III married Dagmar of Denmark (Marie Feodorovna) and the parents of Nicholas II.

Olga married George I of the Hellenes - Andrew - Philip

Philip's DNA was used to identify the Romanov remains due to this close blood relationship to the murdered royal family.

Russia, or more correctly the USSR, entered WWII because they were attacked by the Germans and for no other reason. They sided with the Germans from 1939 - 1941 in dividing Poland and supplying German with war materials as arranged under the Nazi-Soviet Non-Aggression Pact. Stalin actually ignored British intelligence about the preparations the Germans were making for the invasion of the USSR and they gave no aid to Britain when Britain and the Empire stood alone against the Nazis.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

Ooooooooo, DoE would just LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it if he knew how long the puddin' had been stirred here!
Old 02-04-2011, 05:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Agreed! It seems that severe humour failure and political correctness reign supreme these days!
Old 02-04-2011, 10:10 PM
Serene Highness

I appreciate all the clarification about Prince Philip's referring to his fractional heritage of Romanov blood, rather than to the rest of his heritage - although his own Romanov great-grandfather was left unmolested by the assassins (which is why I didn't immediately understand the reference; his own great grandfather was a liberal and considered to be of covert support for the revolutionaries - so I see this as an example of a house divided, rather than of "Russian bastards" doing something).

I am "getting" Prince Philip's sense of humor better through your explanations (but I don't need a history of World War II, nor will I ever espouse single cause theories of warfare - I'm more Tolstoyan in my views). I read and wrote his jokes to a number of Russians today - and they got it, and thought it was funny. Russians also like biting humor (I do too, I just didn't understand the context of all of HRH's jokes).

Now I see his role as definitely partly court jokester (especially his jokes about the "family business" and how the woman is in charge of it). If he can make the Queen smile, that's a good thing. Still, we Americans would find it difficult to fully savor such humor from someone on the public payroll (we are still thoroughly non-monarchical in that way).

Today's reading on these forums have left me pondering the effects of British public opinion; Prince Philip is jovial and avuncular, with a British sense of humor; future Princess Catherine had better get a job or else the people will turn against her (and the Queen will admonish her?) I see why people say the Royals in Britain have no real power (although, financially, they must, certainly, as the finances of a place like the Duchy of Cornwall make it clear that the Crown's financial power is not small).

The PR power is there, too. Someone said (I believe on a thread about Prince William) that the British are insular in their humor and viewpoints, which endears them to each other and unites them; so if the Royals promote such unity (and provides outlet for expression of certain divisions as well) for Britain, their role in British life is much clearer to me. And that's powerful, as we have no such force in America. I do not believe Russia has such a force either. People fear Putin (and sometimes admire him) but they are not united by his sense of humor (although seriously, his antics with his sportsmanship and body display have certainly appealed rather broadly, but I don't think Putin was being humorous, he was serious about thinking himself studly).
Old 02-05-2011, 06:07 AM
Majesty

Quote:
I appreciate all the clarification about Prince Philip's referring to his fractional heritage of Romanov blood, rather than to the rest of his heritage - although his own Romanov great-grandfather was left unmolested by the assassins (which is why I didn't immediately understand the reference; his own great grandfather was a liberal and considered to be of covert support for the revolutionaries - so I see this as an example of a house divided, rather than of "Russian bastards" doing something).
To which great-grandfather are you referring?

All four of Philip's great-grandfather's were dead by the time of the Bolshevik Revolution in 1917 and only one of them even saw Nicholas become Tsar.

Prince Philip’s great-grandfathers:
Christian IX of Denmark died 1906 - his paternal grandfather's father
Grand Duke Konstantin Nikolayevich of Russia died 1892 - his paternal grandmother's father
Prince Alexander of Hesse and by Rhine died in 1888 - his maternal grandfather's father
Louis IV, Grand Duke of Hesse died in 1892 - his maternal grandfather's father.

Of his two grandfathers George I of the Hellenes was assassinated in Greece in 1913 and Prince Louise of Battenburg was forced to resign from his position within the British naval establishment in 1914 due to being of German origin although he continued to live in Germany and died in 1922 - a year after Philip's birth.

His four great-grandmothers were also all dead before the Russian Revolution in 1917 and only one of them lived into the 20th Century at all - Princess Alexandra of Saxe-Altenburg who died in 1913 - before the revolution.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:30 PM

Wow... such British -sounding ancestors he has

Tags
duke of edinburgh, humor, humour, prince philip