Edinburgh Family Picture Thread

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Louise has a beautiful pony. However, it would appear the rider wasn't in the mood to be photographed (or was in deep thought). I think she's in her own little world in that picture.

Sophie, Louise and James were at Buckingham Palace for the arrival of the Olympic Torch. James is so cute, he was loving his Union Jack and even hit his sister with it, as well as his mum. I shouldn't laugh at that, but it is really cute!

Isopix.be and put "Wessex" into search box. Louise's summer dress is so cute.

Sophie, Louise and James + 2 + 3 + 4

Last edited:
Sophie, Louise and James were at Buckingham Palace for the arrival of the Olympic Torch. James is so cute, he was loving his Union Jack and even hit his sister with it, as well as his mum. I shouldn't laugh at that, but it is really cute!

Isopix.be and put "Wessex" into search box. Louise's summer dress is so cute.

Sophie, Louise and James + 2 + 3 + 4

:previous:
I posted this gallery at Olympics thread, but because of tones of pictures of Wessexs trio will post here again :):flowers:
James is so precious :hamster: :heart:, Lady Louise is so a LADY , Sophie is just wonderful :flowers::flowers::flowers:
12/07/26 BUCK PALACE TORCH RELAY - Images | Mark Cuthbert - Photographer

Little Louise looks so pretty. I had always felt bad for her because of her medical problems but I think she is just going to grow up to be a beautiful young woman. I know, I know, beauty isn't everything but there's nothing wrong with celebrating it either.

I posted this gallery at Olympics thread, but because of tones of pictures of Wessexs trio will post here again :):flowers:
James is so precious :hamster: :heart:, Lady Louise is so a LADY , Sophie is just wonderful :flowers::flowers::flowers:
12/07/26 BUCK PALACE TORCH RELAY - Images | Mark Cuthbert - Photographer

The last picture of Louise, trying to get away from her brother's enthusiastic celebration of patriotism is just a bit funny (can't tell if she's laughing or crying, though in some of the previous pictures her face is not a happy one :sad:). They're such precious kids though, and yes, Louise is looking more and more like a Lady that she is, in terms of her comportment.

Little Louise looks so pretty. I had always felt bad for her because of her medical problems but I think she is just going to grow up to be a beautiful young woman. I know, I know, beauty isn't everything but there's nothing wrong with celebrating it either.

I don't think her eye condition is as bad as it looks. I've seen pictures of her in one of threads in this section, playing net ball with no sports goggles or any other adaptive equipment. I think she's more well-adjusted than others would believe. Yes, in some pictures it's obvious that she's straining to see, but I think when it comes to actual functional vision, she does better than fine. She's a lovely little girl, and I get very excited when we get a little glimpse of her and her brother, who strikes me as a character and a half :D.

Last edited:
Adorable pictures of the Wessex family.

Thank you so much for posting them.

I think her exotropria does not look quite as obvious in recent months. I would imagine that Louise perhaps wears glasses or something to aide her sight when she is at school, but in public she does not wear them. At Trooping the Colour you can see her ring one of her eyes when looking up toward to the sky; this perhaps helps her sight and focuses on a certain object, but if that is all she has to do then it is not that bad. I agree with Daria - I have seen images of her playing netball unaided, so I am sure she lives a very happy life and is able to enjoy activities at school and at home. We all know she horse rides, which you need good concentration for, as well as sight, so I am sure she can do other things. You are right Noble Consort Ming, I think Louise will grow up to be beautiful, particularly if she continues to look like her Granny.

Daria, James does look like a handful! I imagine he is a typical, 4 year old boy; boisterous and excitable! He is adorable though, I want to take him home! I also get excited when we see images of the Wessex children, particularly James, as we rarely seem them. What a cute pair Edward and Sophie made.

Those are adorable pictures, even though poor Lady Louise didn´t seem too keen on her little brother´s antics. She looks lovely in her summery dress and he is the cutest little imp.

I think her exotropria does not look quite as obvious in recent months. I would imagine that Louise perhaps wears glasses or something to aide her sight when she is at school, but in public she does not wear them. At Trooping the Colour you can see her ring one of her eyes when looking up toward to the sky; this perhaps helps her sight and focuses on a certain object, but if that is all she has to do then it is not that bad. I agree with Daria - I have seen images of her playing netball unaided, so I am sure she lives a very happy life and is able to enjoy activities at school and at home. We all know she horse rides, which you need good concentration for, as well as sight, so I am sure she can do other things. You are right Noble Consort Ming, I think Louise will grow up to be beautiful, particularly if she continues to look like her Granny.

Daria, James does look like a handful! I imagine he is a typical, 4 year old boy; boisterous and excitable! He is adorable though, I want to take him home! I also get excited when we see images of the Wessex children, particularly James, as we rarely seem them. What a cute pair Edward and Sophie made.

From a perspective of a teacher for kids with visual impairments, I'd say that she would benefit from a small hand-held telescope, because judging by the behavior at Trooping the Colour, she craves field restriction and has trouble focusing. The telescope would provide that, as well as help with distance viewing. I do love seeing that she's able to compensate without being instructed to do so. I'd imagine that if there were serious eye issues, she won't be horseback riding completely independently. Someone with 20/20 vision would be with her at all times, possibly a riding instructor for kids with special needs. Like you, I think she does just fine, and may need minor adjustments if her condition becomes more prominent as she gets older, or the eye strain from heavy loads of schoolwork will start effecting her health (in a form of really nasty headaches). James is a riot :ROFLMAO:. I'd love to observe him (and Louise) at play/leisure activities. They both have definite personalities, and I'd love to see them really shine in an unrestricted environment.

Molly2101 said:

Does it have something to do with the fact she was born 6 weeks early?

sarahedwards2 said:

She was born with it, I doubt being six weeks early made a difference.

I am not sure whether Louise was 4 or 6 weeks early, but prematurity does have a link to the development of esotropia and exotropia, but I think Louise may have had the condition had she been born at term. Congenital strabismus (esotropia or exotropia) does not occur at an increased rate in premature babies. The condition is caused when the muscle in the eye(s) are weakened or there is a defect with it. Her sudden birth due to a placental abruption MAY have caused the condition, due to the lack of oxygen to the fetus when a placental abruption occurs, but it is quite unlikely.

The articles all state that Louise has exotropia, however that conditions is when the eyes turn outwards; Louise's eyes turn inwards which makes me think she has esotropia, not that it matters really.

I don't think Edward and Sophie will choose to get her condition fixed, as it is known to be more effective when done under the age of 5. I think they are incredibly protective of Louise, Sophie in particular. Parents worry about their child going under a general anaesthetic, no matter how routine it is, and given the circumstances of Louise's birth, they are probably both quite reluctant. Sophie will have experienced agonizing pains with a placental abruption, and quite probably bleeding; therefore she probably thought she would lose her child so to find she had a healthy baby girl probably makes her all the more careful of putting her through anything that could risk losing her. I have seen placental abruptions occur when the unborn baby has not survived (I am a midwife) even at full term, so I can understand why they are protective of their daughter.

Last edited:
I am not sure whether Louise was 4 or 6 weeks early, but prematurity does have a link to the development of esotropia and exotropia, but I think Louise may have had the condition had she been born at term. Congenital strabismus (esotropia or exotropia) does not occur at an increased rate in premature babies. The condition is caused when the muscle in the eye(s) are weakened or there is a defect with it. Her sudden birth due to a placental abruption MAY have caused the condition, due to the lack of oxygen to the fetus when a placental abruption occurs, but it is quite unlikely.

The articles all state that Louise has exotropia, however that conditions is when the eyes turn outwards; Louise's eyes turn inwards which makes me think she has esotropia, not that it matters really.

I don't think Edward and Sophie will choose to get her condition fixed, as it is known to be more effective when done under the age of 5. I think they are incredibly protective of Louise, Sophie in particular. Parents worry about their child going under a general anaesthetic, no matter how routine it is, and given the circumstances of Louise's birth, they are probably both quite reluctant. Sophie will have experienced agonizing pains with a placental abruption, and quite probably bleeding; therefore she probably thought she would lose her child so to find she had a healthy baby girl probably makes her all the more careful of putting her through anything that could risk losing her. I have seen placental abruptions occur when the unborn baby has not survived (I am a midwife) even at full term, so I can understand why they are protective of their daughter.

Also, it's important to note that when dealing with eye surgeries, there's always a chance of losing vision completely, so many are very reluctant to make their children go through something like that only to become completely blind in the end. As an adult with a visual impairment, I would never consider getting surgery, even if there's a chance that I could have normal vision, because I don't want to lose what I have, so I completely understand Sophie's and Edward's reluctance.

My daughter was born ten weeks early and with exotropia. We had lost our first baby as a newborn only the year before so I know all about being protective. The pediatric opthalmologist told us it was "95% certain" her exotropia was due to the prematurity and that it could cause significant learning difficulties and/or the complete shutdown of one eye ("lazy eye syndrome") if it wasn't corrected. At first, we tried patching and then vision therapy when she was a little older. This had only limited success, so we chose for her to have the surgery when she was four, before she started school. It involved moving the muscles that control the sideways movement of the eye - not surgery on the eye itself. It did help her to track better and she no longer has a lazy eye; it also made a huge difference cosmetically - no small thing as children can be so cruel to the one who is "different". She's now 23 and in her final year of veterinary technology training. I would assume that the treatment and surgical options have improved in the last 19 years. I'm sure the Wessexes have had the best medical advice but I do wonder sometimes if they've let their hearts overrule their heads on this. Just my opinion.:flowers:

My daughter was born ten weeks early and with exotropia. We had lost our first baby as a newborn only the year before so I know all about being protective. The pediatric opthalmologist told us it was "95% certain" her exotropia was due to the prematurity and that it could cause significant learning difficulties and/or the complete shutdown of one eye ("lazy eye syndrome") if it wasn't corrected. At first, we tried patching and then vision therapy when she was a little older. This had only limited success, so we chose for her to have the surgery when she was four, before she started school. It involved moving the muscles that control the sideways movement of the eye - not surgery on the eye itself. It did help her to track better and she no longer has a lazy eye; it also made a huge difference cosmetically - no small thing as children can be so cruel to the one who is "different". She's now 23 and in her final year of veterinary technology training. I would assume that the treatment and surgical options have improved in the last 19 years. I'm sure the Wessexes have had the best medical advice but I do wonder sometimes if they've let their hearts overrule their heads on this. Just my opinion.:flowers:

I also believe they should have gone ahead with the treatment. My father had exotropia and it was obvious that it bothered him (at times). When he was an adult he contacted a surgeon regarding the surgery but was told it should've been done when he was young. He didn't speak of it often but he did mention a couple of times that he wished his parents had approved of it (however that was 80 years ago so much more of a risk then).

My brother was born 2 months premature (at one point they said they would try to save him over my mother) and he also had exotropia. My father and mother didn't think twice about him having the surgery and my brother, with no hint of it now, is very grateful for that.

I think Louise is absolutely adorable, and I in no way mean this as criticism, but the way her hair is styled, with the fringe, brings attention to her eyes and therefore her eye condition.

Perhaps when she's a little older, she can grow her hair out into a shape that flatters her face better. Not that she should even have to worry about that yet.

Prematurity is a risk but it is not always the cause. Louise was only 4 weeks premature; had she been born one week later she would not been classed as premature and would probably have still had strabismus. I am not arguing you with by the way, I am just saying that her prematurity most likely did not cause her squint. The sentence I have bolded I do agree with; I think perhaps due to Sophie's over protectiveness of Louise they have chosen to not let her have the operation. An article in the Telegraph in June stated something quite similar, saying that the Queen offered to pay for treatment in America but Sophie chose not to.

“It was suggested to her that something should be done before Louise reached the age of five, but that moment came and went with no decision reached.” It is said that the Queen personally intervened in the matter, suggesting that Sophie take Louise to America at her expense to seek the best treatment available. But the protective instinct remains so overpowering that the Countess has yet to be able to agree to the operation being carried out."

I do not think her squint is that obvious, and even when it is obvious it adds to Louise's charm as I think she is a beautiful little girl with so much life and soul in her it would seem. They are allowing her to be herself, which is the best a parent can do.​

25zt8nm.jpg

28u1z85.jpg

I do like her hair though I wish perhaps that they let her curls down more often instead of brushing them out. That is my only nitpick!​

Last edited:
Prematurity is a risk but it is not always the cause. Louise was only 4 weeks premature; had she been born one week later she would not been classed as premature and would probably have still had strabismus. I am not arguing you with by the way, I am just saying that her prematurity most likely did not cause her squint. The sentence I have bolded I do agree with; I think perhaps due to Sophie's over protectiveness of Louise they have chosen to not let her have the operation. An article in the Telegraph in June stated something quite similar, saying that the Queen offered to pay for treatment in America but Sophie chose not to.

I do not think her squint is that obvious, and even when it is obvious it adds to Louise's charm as I think she is a beautiful little girl with so much life and soul in her it would seem. They are allowing her to be herself, which is the best a parent can do.​

25zt8nm.jpg

28u1z85.jpg

I do like her hair though I wish perhaps that they let her curls down more often instead of brushing them out. That is my only nitpick!​

I love the second picture :wub:. But as to the subject of surgery, prematurity can leave a child with breathing problems, which would make it very risky to go under general sedation. We don't know if Louise has any such complications, but if she does, then her parents' reluctance is very, very valid.

It's nice to see Sophies brother and his family in the background as well. Obviously the Wessexes spend quite some weekends with her family throughout the year.

I spend hours deciding if I should buy the London Paralympics scarf. Now that Sophie is wearing it I guess I HAVE to buy it....wonder if she'll refund me? :whistling:

Some more images of Team Wessex at the Paralympic Rowing on 2.9.12.

James giving his sister a hand with her hood, though I feel perhaps his cousins was egging him out slightly!

Edward, James, Louise and Catherine

How cute is the image of James' cousin walking beside him?

Ok, I am done posting images. They are just too cute to not post though.

Some more images of Team Wessex at the Paralympic Rowing on 2.9.12.

James giving his sister a hand with her hood, though I feel perhaps his cousins was egging him out slightly!

Edward, James, Louise and Catherine

How cute is the image of James' cousin walking beside him?

Ok, I am done posting images. They are just too cute to not post though.
Thanks thanks so so much for posting this pictures :flowers::flowers::flowers:
They're so so adorable.... amazing family :heartflower:

Molly, I love the pictures :flowers: I didn't realize how tall Louise was. She's going to be towering over her Mum pretty soon :D.

I came across this photo that someone had made of Louise a few years ago, and I was just wondering if anyone knows where the photo of Louise on the right is from.

2wcgql2.jpg

I also saw a cute image of Louise as a young toddler on a horse with Sophie and a groom next to her at Windsor Castle in the book "Elizabeth: A Diamond Jubilee Tribute" in Waterstones as I was flicking through some pages. Very cute image, though I have not been able to find it anywhere online.

I came across this photo that someone had made of Louise a few years ago, and I was just wondering if anyone knows where the photo of Louise on the right is from.

2wcgql2.jpg

I also saw a cute image of Louise as a young toddler on a horse with Sophie and a groom next to her at Windsor Castle in the book "Elizabeth: A Diamond Jubilee Tribute" in Waterstones as I was flicking through some pages. Very cute image, though I have not been able to find it anywhere online.

oh i think i know which one you mean but i can't seem to find it right know :ermm: the article going along with it was titled "one's little pony"

the graphic is nice too! i ve never before seen the one on the far right and the left one at the bottom of the picture- do you know more about those? :)

This was the image I was referring to (click on thumbnail):

Louise is so tiny!

With thanks to yoursweetremedy on Tumblr for the image.

This was the image I was referring to (click on thumbnail):

Louise is so tiny!

With thanks to yoursweetremedy on Tumblr for the image.

Amazing picture :flowers: Thanks for sharing :flowers:
Lady Louise is horse lover from very little ages :) Adorable

Back
Top Bottom