Edward and Sophie: Advice, Issues, Role and Questions

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What was Sophie's background before she was married? Was she a commoner?

I thought so. Several British newspapers said that Kate was the 1st commoner to marry into the BRF since before Diana.
I knew that was not right. Now I am wondering if I misread, and what they really said was that Kate is the first commoner to marry a future King in X years, because that is true.
Anyway, thanks for the info!

I thought so. Several British newspapers said that Kate was the 1st commoner to marry into the BRF since before Diana.
I knew that was not right. Now I am wondering if I misread, and what they really said was that Kate is the first commoner to marry a future King in X years, because that is true.
Anyway, thanks for the info!

Kate is the first commoner to marry a future British King in 6 years - as the next Queen was a commoner when she married the future King in 2005.

Last edited:
:previous: This brings so much back to memory. There are still people who bring up Edward's leaving the Marines in order to criticize him. The irony is that this sensitive, artistic young prince enrolled in what's supposed to be the toughest and most demanding of HM's Forces; and apparently he was coping with it just fine. Perhaps his trying to run his own company was an attempt to create his own job for himself, given that it would be difficult for him to work for someone else. As it is, I think that things have worked out spectacularly well for him. He married a loyal woman and has two charming children.

:previous: This brings so much back to memory. There are still people who bring up Edward's leaving the Marines in order to criticize him. The irony is that this sensitive, artistic young prince enrolled in what's supposed to be the toughest and most demanding of HM's Forces; and apparently he was coping with it just fine. Perhaps his trying to run his own company was an attempt to create his own job for himself, given that it would be difficult for him to work for someone else. As it is, I think that things have worked out spectacularly well for him. He married a loyal woman and has two charming children.

I think that it takes a very strong and self-aware person to back out of something once realizing that he/she wanted something different. Edward wasn't afraid to be himself, and by leaving the forces he just showed the world that he knew himself and what he wanted out of life. It did indeed work out in his favor; he's happily settled with his wife and family, doing what he can for his country.

I think that it takes a very strong and self-aware person to back out of something once realizing that he/she wanted something different. Edward wasn't afraid to be himself, and by leaving the forces he just showed the world that he knew himself and what he wanted out of life. It did indeed work out in his favor; he's happily settled with his wife and family, doing what he can for his country.

:previous:
Very well said Daria :flowers:
I agree totally with you :).He know what he want about himself and he is happy with that choice :)

Hi, can someone explain me why Countess Wessex doesn't have a Royal Monogram? At least I cannot find it online. Wikipedia shows monograms of each and every royal member of family, but not of Countess Wessex and Prince Edward as well...
Also I know they (Edward + Sophie) use dual monogram, she even has a pendant with it, but again, cannot find it online.
Thank you.

The Wessexes as "low key royals"

The Earl and Countess of Wessex are often described as low key royals, compared to the rest of Edward's generation.

Is this deliberate ie in reaction to their earlier (or should that be Earlier?)scandals (Ardent and Sophiegate) or perhaps they were told to keep a low profile by the Queen or Prince Charles, or are they naturally low profile people, like the Gloucesters for example?

The monarchs younger children get less attention than the monarchs elder children and now her grown grandchildren are in the spotlight. It happens in every generation. Edward and Sophie continue to work hard undertaking engagements on behalf of the monarch, especially Edward in relationship to the DofE Awards, and represent her at continental social events. Even Anne and Andrew receive less public attention than they used to though both continue to carry out hundreds of engagements each year.
Media attention is naturally on the monarch, her consort, her heir and his wife and now on William, Catherine and Harry who represent the future of the monarchy.

I think a lot has to do with "What is the goal?" for Sophie and Edward and family. I do believe that the two of them have had that coversation and plotted a course that will make them happy, while serving country.

I think we tend to be less sanguine about the state of affairs - but what if what we want for them is not what they want? :ermm: And we have no way to know.

I have a question: Why don't Sophie and Edward usually bring their son with them to events etc? I mean, I often see Louise but never James. Is it because he's too young?

Yes, I believe it is because is still young, as he is only 5 years old. He attended some Diamond Jubilee/Coronation events (the boat pageant and the Festival in July) and then he attended Trooping the Colour for the first time this year. Louise only began attending Trooping the Colour when she was 5 and I think Edward and Sophie do not want their children to be in the spotlight. They are very much hidden in comparison to the Queen's other grandchildren. We saw her other 6 grandchildren a lot as young children, whereas Edward and Sophie do not want that for their children. I think in the long run it will benefit them greatly.

We may see James at Christmas this year but not likely. He attended Ascot in December last year with his parents, and he is also at The Windsor Horse Show but regarding public events, I don't think we'll really see James until he's older. It may also be to do with the fact that he wont sit still during services as he is only 5. The times we have seen him he does come across as a bit of a livewire, and Sophie herself said something similar when she was asked about James travelling in the carriage at Trooping the Colour.

Last edited:
I think it was a brave and wise choice.

Edward recognizes that his children have a minimal chance to succeed to the throne. Nor will they really have to work for the BRF in an official capacity. He has seen the positive and negative of having his nieces and nephews having or not having titles. Anne's kids because their father didn't have a title are just doing just fine. And Andrews's daughter who have a titles are doing fine but receive a lot of negative press. Now that could be because of who their parents are (Anne/Mark vs Sarah/Andrew), the fact that they are older (Beatrice/Eugenie/Zara/Peter are much older than Louise and James), they party too much, security costs, etc. These issues be an entirely new thread. But having the potential to just fade into the crowd might be benefit to Louise and James.

Be that as it may, I think Edward and Sophie are looking at the future of James and Louise and decided that a low key member of the BRF is the best for them. Of course we don't know what the future will bring...both Louise and James are cute kids who can grow up to be cute young adults, and we know how the British press loves that.

I can see the headlines now....Lovely Louise, niece of King Charles III attends Ascot!

So it might all be for naught but right now...they are thinking of their children IMO.

Last edited:
It is not really anything to do with "getting" him. Imagine the uproar if Edward, the Queen's YOUNGEST son (who the public think is lazy, wasn't cut out for Navy life and bit of a waste), was made a Duke twice. That would not have gone down well. He knew that being made an Earl wasn't a bad thing as he knew he would be a Duke. The Earl of Wessex title is one of the oldest in the BRF, so it was nice to see it come back. I don't believe the farce about him choosing it because he and Sophie watched "Shakespeare In Love". I think that is just a someone romanticising something.

Their kids are not less normal per se, but they are definitely less well known that their older cousins. That may be primarily to do with Edward not being as well known as his older siblings, whose main fame (for Charles and Andrew really) derives from their failed marriages and very public separations. Not making them an HRH was a forward thinking move on their (or Charles) behalf as two less HRH's in the BRF is a good thing. The current argument with Beatrice and Eugenie finding their place in the world without abusing their HRH status is very prominent. Louise and James will never have to be part of that argument as they will never be HRH's, thus they will find their own way in life.

I think Edward and Sophie's main reason behind not using HRH styles is because they want their children to be private citizens; they want them to have normal, or as normal a childhood as possible. They will of course be very aware of who their relatives are and that their friends don't nip up to a castle for their summer break, but they are definitely less seen in the public than their cousins. Even Peter and Zara were photographed much more than Louise and James.

I think it was a brave and wise choice.

Edward recognizes that his children have a minimal chance to succeed to the throne. Nor will they really have to work for the BRF in an official capacity. He has seen the positive and negative of having his nieces and nephews having or not having titles. Anne's kids because their father didn't have a title are just doing ust fine. And Andrews's daughter who have a titles are doing fine but receive a lot of negative press. Now that could be because of who their parents are (Anne/Mark vs Sarah/Andrew), the fact that they are older (Beatrice/Eugenie/Zara/Peter are much older than Louise and James), etc. Those two facts could separate an entirely new thread. But having the potential to just fade into the crowd might be benefit to Louise and James.

Be that as it may, I think Edward and Sophie are looking at the future of James and Louise and decided that a low key member of the BRF is the best for them. Of course we don't know what the future will bring...both Louise and James are cute kids who can grow up to be cute young adults, and we know how the British press loves that.

I can see the headlines now....Lovely Louise, niece of King Charles III attends Ascot!

So it might all be for naught but right now...they are thinking of their children IMO.

I agree that at the moment it is quite irrelevant as they are both young, school age children. It will only be different as they grow up and find their way in life. As you say, we will still see them in the papers as they grow up as they will always be related to the monarch. They will be the monarch's niece attending Ascot, the monarch's cousin attending a family funeral with his wife and children etc.

Last edited:
I think styling them as them as the children of a peer does give them a better shot at a more normal and private life out of the spotlight. By the time they are adults they will be on the perifery of the royal family, faces on the edge of the photographs and people will ask how they are related to Charles III or William V. Good for them that they will largely avoid the attention, jealousy and criticism that an HRH brings. It is most unlikely they will ever be needed for royal duties anyway.
(So "bebe" how was the lobster season off Cape Breton this year, lol)

Can Edward and Sophie take on more prominent roles in Charles III's reign?
It is true that Edward and Sophie are now among the most important members of the BRF, with the departure of Andrew and the Dukes of Sussex as senior members of the BRF.

Last edited:
They already do a lot of work, but they don't get the attention that Charles and Camilla or William and Kate do. It's the same with Princess Anne. They highlight some very important causes, but get a column on page 20-odd of the papers, rather than a picture on the front page. It's a shame.

Back
Top Bottom