Earl and Countess of Wessex and Family Current Events 8: January 2014-March 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Even better in bigger picture! Lovely family.

I have high hopes for Sophie's 50th birthday next year...maybe another portrait?

It's such a nice photo because A) They aren't wearing suits and ties and B) They look relaxed.

imho it is best British Royal family portrait I have seen. At least in recent years. It is SO much better than christening pics of Prince George. I liked the one with his hands in the air, but hated heavy photoshop.

imho it is best British Royal family portrait I have seen. At least in recent years. It is SO much better than christening pics of Prince George. I liked the one with his hands in the air, but hated heavy photoshop.

I liked the one of William and Catherine looking at George on their own. That was beautiful.

I prefer the Wessex photo but that's because I am biased towards them... In this photo James really does look like Sophie. He looks nothing like Edward, whereas Louise is all Edward.

Wonderful photo. One of the best released by the BRF in a long time but we really can't compare christening photos to a birthday photo with older children.

Louise is all Royal family. She reminds me of a young QE2, or young Princess Anne.

It is great that Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth and Duke of Edinburgh attended the party. What about the other brothers and the sister?
Based on the photo, Bagshot Park is lovely. Hopefully Prince Edward has got enough funds to maintain it.

Last edited:
Louise is definitely a Windsor. I do agree cepe that she resembles Princess Mary (George V's only daughter) a lot. She looks so much like Edward and has his chubby cheeks, whereas James has Sophie's dimples and chin. Genetics are such a funny thing.

Way before my time!

Princess Mary

I think Zara looks more like her than Louise though.

Last edited:
Louise is definitely a Windsor. I do agree cepe that she resembles Princess Mary (George V's only daughter) a lot. She looks so much like Edward and has his chubby cheeks, whereas James has Sophie's dimples and chin. Genetics are such a funny thing.

Princess Mary

I think Zara looks more like her than Louise though.

Anne and Princess Mary are just so alike. Will be interesting to see how it pans out as they get older.

Fabulous family portrait! I am so happy that Louise's most recent eye surgery was successful. As for who resembles whom ... I think that both children resemble Edward :)

I just have a only thing to say about the family photo........al last!!!!!!!!! we don't have a official family photo of then since james's christening and that photo don't was complete because don't was louise.

It is great that Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth and Duke of Edinburgh attended the party. What about the other brothers and the sister?
Based on the photo, Bagshot Park is lovely. Hopefully Prince Edward has got enough funds to maintain it.

I think Andrew was out to dinner with his model friend so probably didn't attend.

I really doubt that any of the siblings attended as I feel sure we would have had photos of Anne or Charles etc arriving just as we did for The Queen and Philip. His cousin, Lord Linley and second cousin Lady Helen Taylor attended but no mention of any other royals attending.

We know that at least one nephew didn't attend as William was on holidays rather than be in the UK for his uncle's major birthday.

To me this family just doesn't do the normal everyday things that families do - celebrate major birthdays together for instance. Outside of events that involve The Queen and Philip the children and grandchildren don't appear to do much on birthdays etc as normal families do.

I think Andrew was out to dinner with his model friend so probably didn't attend.

That dinner was on Thursday, this party was on Saturday.

I don't quite understand how families can't celebrate birthdays together. Everyone gathered for Charles' big birthday. :whistling:

I really doubt that any of the siblings attended as I feel sure we would have had photos of Anne or Charles etc arriving just as we did for The Queen and Philip. His cousin, Lord Linley and second cousin Lady Helen Taylor attended but no mention of any other royals attending.

We know that at least one nephew didn't attend as William was on holidays rather than be in the UK for his uncle's major birthday.

To me this family just doesn't do the normal everyday things that families do - celebrate major birthdays together for instance. Outside of events that involve The Queen and Philip the children and grandchildren don't appear to do much on birthdays etc as normal families do.

I think the problem is that many members of the royal family run on different schedules and sometimes not able to attend family events. It seems like Edward's party was planned when some of the family are doing other things and not able to make it to the party. I actually thought that there would've been a celebration scheduled down the road when all the family is in town and able to attend.

From what I understand this was a family dinner at Bagshot probably organized by Sophie. The Queen is hosting a party for Edward, Sara Chatto, Helen Taylor and James Ogilvy a bit later. They all turn 50 this years and celebrate their birthdays together. It will probably be at a hotel, like Andrew's was.

With today's modern dysfunctional families, with every member off in a different direction doing "their thing", very few families get together for this type of celebration anymore. Especially those who are "well heeled" shall we say. Thanksgiving and/or Christmas are the only holidays that bring a family together anymore.

HRH Countess of Wessex: Happy Birthday for HRH Prince Edward. Day full of engagements!
With link to pics from helipad. And all the info

Background post on Prince Edward http://hrhcountessofwessex.blogspot.com/2014/03/prince-edward-earl-of-wessex-turns-50.html

And Post on the new family photo http://hrhcountessofwessex.blogspot.com/2014/03/special-photograph-has-been-released-to.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schoolreport/26451886 Interview with Prince Edward.
"Amy said the prince also revealed the best moment of his life so far had been his wedding day, which he described it as a total one-off and was "great fun and over far too quickly".

http://www.purepeople.com/article/e...famille-pour-le-fils-d-elizabeth-ii_a137863/1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTJy-YQzAoI

You will find everything in my post.

Last edited:

my bolding
You are absolutely correct. Any family has got its issues. However differences can be put aside, and the family can gather together for the major birthday.

That's a beautiful photo of the Wessexes - I'm usually not particularly keen on wood panelling, but I have to say that this one makes the photo give off a warm, friendly atmosphere. I think the fact that everybody is smiling/laughing helps a little. It's defiantly one of my favourite photos of the family. Molly, I hope you don't mind, but it was so lovely that I had to use it as my avatar too. ;)

Louise's vision has improved a lot since her operation. For those of you who have seen the family sitcom Outnumbered, does she remind you a little of a younger Karen? Royal wise, she reminds me of the former Princess Royal. The resemblance is so strong. I also see a bit of HM, Princess Anne and Queen Mary in her too. Not sure who James resembles yet.

:previous:
Thanks for the update!
It is great that Princess Anne and Prince Andrew were in attendance.

He celebrated his half century yesterday with a party attended by the Queen and other ROyals.
But today Prince Edward showed no signs of heavy night as he arrived bright and early at a primary school today.
The Queen's youngest son and his wife, Countess of Wessex, paid a visit to Robert Browning primary school in Walworth, London to see work carried out by Kidscape, one of the charities to receive money from the Wessex Youth Trust, the charity the couple set up shortly before their marriage in 1999.

Happy birthday, Prince Edward! Royal celebrates half a century alongside Sophie Wessex with walkabout | Mail Online

Very nice that Andrew and Anne attended. Although we didn't see any pictures of them arriving. No info on Charles and Camilla.

HRH Countess of Wessex: Happy Birthday for HRH Prince Edward. Day full of engagements!
With link to pics from helipad. And all the info

Background post on Prince Edward HRH Countess of Wessex: Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex turns 50 on Monday & will celebrate this milestone with engagements in London

And Post on the new family photo HRH Countess of Wessex: Special photograph has been released to mark Prince Edward's 50th birthday.

School Report - School Reporters interview birthday boy Prince Edward Interview with Prince Edward.
"Amy said the prince also revealed the best moment of his life so far had been his wedding day, which he described it as a total one-off and was "great fun and over far too quickly".

Edward de Wessex : 50 ans en famille pour le fils d'Elizabeth II

Celebrating The Earl of Wessex's 50th birthday - YouTube

You will find everything in my post.
I love that he said his wedding day was the best moment of his life so far.... I thought he would have said his children being born, but to pick his wedding day was lovely.

Thanks for all the info Anna. :D

Hereditary Princess, of course I do not mind that you have used the image as well. It's such a wonderful image. I am sure there were lots of others in the photoshoot, it's a shame we only got to see one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom