Birth of Lady Louise (November 8, 2003) and Christening (April 24, 2004)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexandria

Heir Apparent
Country
Canada
http://news.bbc.co.uk

Sophie has baby girl early

The Countess of Wessex has given birth to a girl a month early, Buckingham Palace has announced.

The baby, who weighs 4lb 9oz, was delivered by emergency Caesarean section at 2332 GMT on Saturday.

The countess, 38, was admitted to Frimley Park Hospital in Surrey from her home at Bagshot Park on Saturday night.

Both mother and baby are stable but the baby has been transferred to a neo-natal unit at St George's Hospital in Tooting, London, as a precaution.

Sophie will remain in hospital "for the foreseeable future", the palace said.

The pregnancy had been progressing well and royal gynaecologist Marcus Setchell had expected to deliver the child early in December.

Earl returns

Mr Setchell was present at the hospital for the emergency operation, which was carried out by surgeon Sukhpal Singh with gynaecologist Anne Deans and midwife Adrienne Price.

The Earl of Wessex is on an official visit to Mauritius, but was flying home immediately.

The Queen is being kept informed of events.

Sophie had been due to travel to London for Sunday's Remembrance Day service and parade at the Cenotaph with other members of the Royal Family.

The child, the first for the Queen's youngest son and his wife, is the Queen's seventh grandchild and eighth in line to the throne.

The birth follows a traumatic failed pregnancy in December 2001 when Sophie was airlifted to hospital after suffering an ectopic pregnancy.

Official engagements

Surgeons operated to remove the foetus from her fallopian tube after she was rushed to King Edward VII Hospital by air ambulance.

Doctors said that if the condition had continued undiagnosed, it could have been life-threatening.

The countess initially suspended official engagements in the early stages of her pregnancy, on doctors' advice, but had resumed duties by June.

Three days ago she opened new offices for the ChildLine charity in London.

When Edward and Sophie married in 1999, it was decided, with the Queen's agreement, that any children they had would not be called His or Her Royal Highness.

Instead, the couple's baby girl will take the title of Lady.

Attachments

• _39547431_sophie203.jpg
    _39547431_sophie203.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 953
Just realized something, The Queen never got that Royal letter/patent thing out.
So in theory, we've got a new Royal Highness/Princess!

Congratulations!I´m very happy for them.Sophie must be the happiest woman on earth because she wanted a baby so much.Enjoy this day,Sophie!!!!!!!For Edward it must be a surprise.He comes home as a daddy!!! :rolleyes:

What do you think will be the name of the girl?I would like Lady Helena????

aww, I´m so happy for them!

this is really good news ! :clap: :clap:

I hope Sophie and the baby are doing fine

any news on the name yet?

Brava to her and to her daughter:

Congratulations to the new parents!!

I know Prince Edward and Sophie are very happy these times.

What do you think will be he name of the little girl?

I would like:Helena

And I guess there will be Elizabeth in her name as a tribute to the Queen

I suppose Emily isn't going to happen. I like Helena. How about Alison or Katherine?

www.yahoo.com - No name yet, but a comment from Prince Charles ...

Countess of Wessex Gives Birth to Baby

LONDON - The Countess of Wessex, wife of the youngest son of Queen Elizabeth II, has given birth to a baby girl by emergency Caesarean section, Buckingham Palace said Sunday.

The palace said the baby, who was born just before midnight, several weeks prematurely, weighed 4 lbs 9 oz. Doctors at Frimley Park Hospital south of London said both mother and daughter were "stable."

The former Sophie Rhys-Jones, 38, married Prince Edward, the queen's fourth and youngest child, in 1999. The couple's first baby is eighth in line to the throne.

The palace said the baby had been moved from the hospital, near Edward and Sophie's rural home, to the neonatal unit of St. George's Hospital in London as a precaution. The Countess would be staying in hospital "for the foreseeable future," the palace said.

It said Prince Edward, 39, was flying home from an official visit to Mauritius to see his wife and daughter.

Edward's older brother Prince Charles said he was delighted at the news.

"I'm thrilled to hear that my sister-in-law has given birth to a baby girl. I know how much this means to both her and my brother and I could not be more delighted," the prince said during an official visit to Oman.

Sophie suffered a miscarriage in December 2001 after doctors diagnosed an ectopic, or tubal, pregnancy, a potentially dangerous condition where the fetus develops outside the uterus.

Why not a Lady Victoria, or Lady Elizabeth? Maybe Lady Mary, the grand-mother of the Queen?

Fireweaver  Posted: Nov 9th, 2003 - 1:13 am

Just realized something, The Queen never got that Royal letter/patent thing out.

?

Remember the debate over what title the kid was going to have? Edward and Sophie wanted the kid (as was said at the time of their wedding) to have the style and title of a Earl's kid. However,if Her Majesty didn't make a royal decree/patent/letter (whatever the thing is called) the baby, as grandchild of the soverign, would be automatically entitled to the HRH and Prince/Princess title, which is obviously higher then what they'd have as an Earl's child.
Instead of Lady X, she's technically HRH Princess X.

I think the name will be Elizabeth Helen Margaret or Elizabeth Helen Charlotte

I think Sophie and Edward will think about baby's name but hard think! i read articles said not given title for baby but must!

im happy that Sophie and baby are doing fine but Edward missed it! im wishes he will come see her from trip.

but its so small baby 4lbs its okay!

Sara Boyce

Originally posted by Fireweaver@Nov 9th, 2003 - 1:13 am
So in theory, we've got a new Royal Highness/Princess!
:flower: You are absolutely correct. The new baby girl IS a Royal Highness and a Princess of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
HM The Queen has NOT issused the necesary Letters Patent to deprive her grandaughter of her proper Royal status.
I think perhaps the suddeness of the child's birth has caught Buckingham Palace off gaurd. IF HM does issue the Letters Patent, I think it would be a shame and a radical violation of many years of British tradition. I would love to see the little one remain an HRH and a Princess.
Of course, HM can do as she pleases, it is her Royal Prerogative. She is the "font of all honours". :flower:

The notice to the general public concerning any Letters Patent, are routinely gazzeted in the Times, [usually in the Court Circular].

I told you wait and see because Sophie will annoucement their baby's name! because she is first parents she will think name but you cant forces to takes name over like that!

Sara Boyce

The official statement from Buckingham Palace (www.royal.gov.uk):

9 November 2003
HRH THE COUNTESS OF WESSEX GIVES BIRTH TO A BABY GIRL

THE FOLLOWING STATEMENT IS ISSUED BY THE PRESS SECRETARY TO HER MAJESTY THE QUEEN
Buckingham Palace announces that a baby girl was born to TRH The Earl and Countess of Wessex at 11.30pm on Saturday, 8 November at Frimley General Hospital, Surrey, by Caesarian section.

Both The Countess of Wessex and the baby are stable. The baby was subsequently moved to the regional neo-natal unit at St. George's Hospital, Tooting, south London. The Countess will remain for the time being at Frimley General Hospital.

His Royal Highness The Earl of Wessex has cut short his official visit to Mauritius, and is flying home to visit his wife and daughter.

The Queen is delighted by the news of the new arrival, and is is being regularly kept informed of progress. The Queen is very pleased to hear that The Countess of Wessex and the baby are doing well.

Originally posted by Fireweaver@Nov 9th, 2003 - 10:42 am
Remember the debate over what title the kid was going to have? Edward and Sophie wanted the kid (as was said at the time of their wedding) to have the style and title of a Earl's kid. However,if Her Majesty didn't make a royal decree/patent/letter (whatever the thing is called) the baby, as grandchild of the soverign, would be automatically entitled to the HRH and Prince/Princess title, which is obviously higher then what they'd have as an Earl's child.
Instead of Lady X, she's technically HRH Princess X.
As a "male-line grandchild" the new baby is entitled to the HRH/Princess titles. If the baby was a female-line grandchild she would not be entitled to any titles. An example of this would be the Princess Royal's children Peter and Zara. They have no Royal status or titles . They are commoners.

Good point. I'd forgotten that detail.
Think there will be a formal change, or will the baby technically still be a HRH Princess, but have the style of an earl's daughter?

Okay,Sara I think we all know that Sophie and Edward are her parents,but let´s have some fun speculating about the girl´s name.
Victoria Alexandra Mary Elizabeth would be very possible.When I think carefully I think S&E will give her daughter some traditional names.So I think it could be this suggestion.But don´t think I´m stupid I would like something new in the royal family something modern and fresh not always the "old traditional names".It would become very boring and I hope Sophie is independent and brave enough to choose anew extraordinary name for her little princess!!! :heart:

Originally posted by Fireweaver@Nov 9th, 2003 - 11:28 am
Good point. I'd forgotten that detail.
Think there will be a formal change, or will the baby technically still be a HRH Princess, but have the style of an earl's daughter?
:flower: It all depends on the wording of any forthcoming Letters Patent. HM could deprive the new baby of ALL her Royal status, or she could allow her to have only the courtesy title of "Lady", the baby being the daughter of an Earl.
There is the possibility of her technically remaining an HRH/Princess, but having her known by the public at large as the "Lady" X . To me this seems highly unlikely. I think it would tend to cause a lot of confusion.
As I stated in a previous post, HM can do as she sees fit. HM is the "font of all honours". :heart:

Well, I believe the name will have both Elizabeth and Helen in it. Perhaps something like:

Elizabeth Helen Margaret

Helen Elizabeth Alice

Charlotte Elizabeth Helen

However, my radical suggestions would be more along the lines of:

Abigail Helen Elizabeth

Chloe Elizabeth Helen

Julia Helen Elizabeth

Amelia Elizabeth Helen

:king:

I posted this before but in the wrong place. I think the name could be something like:

Elizabeth Helen Margaret

Charlotte Elizabeth Helen

However, my slightly more radical suggestions would be:

Abigail Elizabeth Helen

Chloe Helen Margaret

Amelia Elizabeth Margaret

Originally posted by hrhsb@Nov 9th, 2003 - 12:26 pm
Abigail Elizabeth Helen
Abigail is a beautiful suggestion.

But how about Abigail Helen Elizabeth? It rolls off the tongue a bit easier. But beautiful all around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom