The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Princess Royal and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-03-2011, 03:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
Civil War, not War of Independence. Savannah is where the Confederates shelled Fort Sumpter, starting the war.
No? So look here:Siege of Savannah - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I learned about that siege already in the primary school, and I still remember that my famous countryman (Kazimierz Pułaski) was killed there.

I am European and know American history better than you

As for giving names in Poland: Every name should be found inthe Polish Calendar and clearly indicate the sex of the child. Nor it can be offending or ridicuizing to him/her.

As for new parents; They didn't have objections to sell the photos of their wedding to Hello, so why they should have them now?

Old 01-03-2011, 03:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy View Post
... Savannah is certainly no less traditional than the recent names of the Gloucester's granddaughters: Cosima (5/20/2010), Senna (6/30/2010), and Lyla (7/1/2010.)
Cosima = very old greek name

Senna = a plant

Lyla = very old name, originally spelled Lila

Although not generally used, they are not new names.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:45 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
Civil War, not War of Independence. Savannah is where the Confederates shelled Fort Sumpter, starting the war.
Sorry, but Charleston, SC was where the Civil War started with the Confederates shelling Fort Sumter. Savannah was captured by Sherman in Dec. of 1864 at the end of his March through Georgia. Regardless, Savannah is a nice name
Old 01-03-2011, 03:47 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
No? So look here:Siege of Savannah - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I learned about that siege already in the primary school, and I still remember that my famous countryman (Kazimierz Pułaski) was killed there.

I am European and know American history better than you

As for giving names in Poland: Every name should be found inthe Polish Calendar and clearly indicate the sex of the child. Nor it can be offending or ridicuizing to him/her.

As for new parents; They didn't have objections to sell the photos of their wedding to Hello, so why they should have them now?
Well, it really depends on which war you are talking about. However, it is indisputable that Fort Sumter is in South Carolina, not Georgia. Try brushing up on your US Geography.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderingnana View Post
Sorry, but Charleston, SC was where the Civil War started with the Confederates shelling Fort Sumter. Savannah was captured by Sherman in Dec. of 1864 at the end of his March through Georgia. Regardless, Savannah is a nice name
And Sherman decided to spare it from the ruins of war.

Savannah is a lyrical, but silly, name. Wishing her well, in spite of it all!
Old 01-03-2011, 04:10 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Cosima = very old greek name

Senna = a plant

Lyla = very old name, originally spelled Lila

Although not generally used, they are not new names.
Savannah has been around (at least here in the US) since the 1800's...that's not exactly a new name, is it?

Perhaps because of where I live, I find the name completely normal and beautiful. I can't wait to here the full name at some point in the future, and perhaps catch a glimpse of the beauty at some point, but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
And Sherman decided to spare it from the ruins of war.

Savannah is a lyrical, but silly, name. Wishing her well, in spite of it all!
All I can keep thinking when I hear the name Savannah is a mental image of Vanna White for some reason. Just think... if they decided to do a feminine version of a traditional male monarch's name, she could be Savannah Georgia. Come to think of it, Savannah Georgia Elizabeth Phillips does sound kind of nice.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:01 PM
Royal Highness

Someone up thread mentioned Savannah was a nod to Anne- good thinking, whomever that was!!! Sorry can't remember the poster and my I touch is being weird and won't scroll up! :)
Old 01-03-2011, 08:27 PM
Commoner

It sounds a bit "exotic dancer" to me.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:14 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
1; She's 12th in line
2; I don't think it's a common name.
You’re right. But the gap between 12th and 25th in line is inexistant in royal world. It’s the same non-existence.

Savannah is very popular in Hollywood and for 15 years we find it in the inventory of the most given first names in UK. It’s not the post popular but a beloved name.This first name seems an invention of modern times, without precise origin and could be a contraction of existing first names.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:49 PM
Gentry

For Baby Phillips to be named Savannah makes me feel that the Windsors are not serious about being a reigning family because I cannot imagine Savannah Phillipps sitting on any commitees.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:22 PM
Courtier

What!!!
Peter Phillips is so far away from the throne that his creative choice for his baby girl's name is imho irrelevant to the seriousness the Windsor show for their duties as a royal family.

I was impressed this morning reading on how many official events Savannah's great grandmother (at 84 mind you), grandmother and grand uncle Charlie had in 2010. The key players in the BRF take their jobs seriously.

and Savannah is not that creative or eccentric for a little girl's name. Winter on the other hand would have been.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:19 AM
Aristocracy

I want to congratulate Peter & Autumn on the birth of their daughter. This was a very exciting year for the British Royal Family. I also like the name they chose, Savannah. I thought it was quite funny that the rector accidentally let the name slip, however, I'm sure the RF wasn't as enthused. I look forward to seeing pictures of Savannah in the future, although I know Peter & Autumn generally keep a low profile.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:27 AM
Gentry

Congratulations!

I like the idea that it's got "Anne" in the name (sort of!) And barring a monumental disaster* she will eventually be so far down in the line of succession (certainly after Peter's cousins have babies ) that a Princess / Queen Savannah is highly unlikely!

* And when I say disaster I mean a tragedy involving the whole family - I'm not implying that the Phillips branch of the BRF would make terrible monarchs!
Old 01-04-2011, 07:30 AM
Nobility

Congratulations to the happy couple on the birth of their little daughter, to Princess Anne on becoming a grandmother and to the Queen and Prince Philip on becoming great-grandparents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
No. She will not be Princess Savannah.

Peter doesn't hold a title as he descends from Princess Anne.
That's right. Titles are passed on through the father, and not the mother.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:20 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan D View Post
For Baby Phillips to be named Savannah makes me feel that the Windsors are not serious about being a reigning family because I cannot imagine Savannah Phillipps sitting on any commitees.
You are absoluteky right, the Windosrs just do not appear to be interesting in being a reigning family. The monarch, her spouse and children hardly cvarry out any public engagements. They also do not seem to recognise that Savannah is unlikely to sit on any committees of royal significance.

What utter rubbsih, IMO!
Old 01-04-2011, 12:55 PM
Royal Highness

Congratulations to the young couple on the birth of their daughter. I loved the name. It certainly has a Southern tinge and link to it. Even though I´m not American, I love to read about the Civil War.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:27 PM
Nobility

I think that, if a child is in the direct line of succession, it will have a more traditional name. But junior members of the RF have used unusual names for about the last 30 years - as has the rest of the UK!

However, when a Monarch succeeds to the throne, they are asked what they wish to be called (a bit like the Pope!). Queen Victoria's name was Alexandrina Victoria, but she was called Victoria in the immediate family. The present Queen's father was Prince Albert, but chose the name George to reign with. So if, in the event of a calamity, young Savannah Phillips came to the throne, she could choose a more regal name to reign under.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:44 PM
Nobility

Savannah is 12th in the line of succession for the time being. Kate and William have talked about having children; if they do as they're planning, and for example, let's say have 4 children, that would bump Savannah down to 16th. If Harry one day marries and has, say 2 children, Savannah will be bumped to 18th. Then there's Beatrice and Eugenie, and much later on, James and Louise if they so choose to marry when they're older and start families of their own. It's very unlikely that Savannah will ever be Queen of England. Granted it's not a favorite name of mine either - I was also expecting something more traditional - but given that her last name isn't Windsor, coupled with the name Savannah, she'll be likely to have a much more normal life than her cousins, which is probably what Peter and Autumn wanted.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:10 PM
Serene Highness

I think Savannah is a lovely name. A friend of mine is named Savannah and she never became anything less due to her ''exotic'' name.