Names For Future Infante/Infanta

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think they will name their baby Sofia if it's a girl. Sofia might be one of her names, but I don't think it will be the main one. Sofia was part of the Greek royal family before she joined the Spanish one. Does it have a big part in Spanish history? That's like Victoria of Sweden having a baby girl and naming her Silvia. It's a nice name, but it doesn't have much to do with Swedish history.

Danielane said:
I think Pelayo or Covadonga will be amongst the names of the future Infante. I'd love an infanta Ana Sofia or Sofia Maria.

Yes Ana-Sofia is my favourite for a girl:p

I don't know if any ofthese names have been suggested ( I haven't read the entire thread,) but here's a couple of my favourites,

Boys- Alejandro, Armando, Darien, Diego,Iago, Noe, Rafael, Rodrigo

Girls- Lucia, Margarita, Neva, Pilar, Damita, Esmerelda, Isabel, Liani

I actually really like the names Felipe and Letizia, but obviously both of those are out........

Well, after much thinking, I guess it's time to give it a go (Choices based on combinations of the names of relatives):

Girl

Carolina Sofía Paloma Elena Cristina Covadonga de Todos los Santos de Borbón y Ortiz

Juana Sofía Eugenia María Margarita Covadonga de Todos los Santos de Borbón y Ortiz

Isabella Federica Victoria Sofía Julia Paloma de Todos los Santos de Borbón y Ortiz

Cecilia Paloma Eugenia Sofía Covadonga de Todos los Santos de Borbón y Ortiz

Isabel Eulalia Sofía María de Jesús Covadonga de Todos los Santos de Borbón y Ortiz

Boy

Juan Alfonso José Luis Pelayo de Todos los Santos de Borbón y Ortiz

Juan Pablo Francisco Jesús José de Todos los Santos de Borbón y Ortiz

Alfonso Juan Francisco Jesús José de Todos los Santos de Borbón y Ortiz

Carlos José Felipe Luis Pelayo de Todos los Santos de Borbón y Ortiz

Alfonso Víctor Felipe José Francisco Pelayo de Todos los Santos de Borbón y Ortiz

There is a law in Spain saying one can't have more than two first names.

Danielane said:
There is a law in Spain saying one can't have more than two first names.

The law says that it is not possible to register a baby with any more than two names, but you can be call him how you want or to baptize how you want.
Besides, the Royal Spanish House has an own record and therefore this law is not applicable since the births do not register in the normal record.

Here you have the law where the Record of the Royal Family is established

http://noticias.juridicas.com/base_datos/Privado/rd2917-1981.html

Last edited:
http://www.abc.es/informacion/boda/capitulaciones/index.asp

(...)
It was a January 23, 1873 when there was established the Record of the Marital status of the Royal Family of Spain, who lasted until 1931, when the Republic was restored in our country. But when Don Juan Carlos was proclaimed A King, on November 22, 1975, there was restored the mentioned Record, which returned to develop in 1981, being calling A Civil Record of the Royal Family.
It gives the chance of which until there established again in Spain neither this Civil specific Record of the Royal Family, nor the Prince of Asturias nor the Infantas Dona Elenas and Dona Cristina, nor the own King, who was born in Rome on January 5, 1938, they could register in it. Their births were appearing in the Civil normal Record, and when Don Juan Carlos restored it, the minutes of birth, marriage and deaths of the members of our Royal Family later to 1931 were moved to him.
(...)

Now Girl start eliminating the name Juan because THE KING JUAN CARLOS don't wish that the baby of his son to carry His Name.

King assures that the first-born of the Princes will not be called Juan Carlos

The King today responded with ' nó tajante to the question of if his seventh grandson, the first-born of Princes de Asturias, whose birth is predicted for the next days, will be called like him, Juan Carlos.

A journalist asked the King today, in Barcelona, on that possibility, question which Don Juan Carlos answered full: ' no, to that I answer that nó.PUFFF
http://actualidad.terra.es/familia-real/articulo/rey_principes_juan_carlos_563271.htm
I see hate in that answer I'M Sorry.
I'm still in schock :eek:

For what I could understand, he said "no" to "Juan Carlos", but I think that Juan only is still a valid and probable choice (even if as a middle name)

The baby was never going to be been called Juan, because for historical reasons there would be a problem; this problem is the one that did that the King was called Juan Carlos and not Juan how there was called he always in family.

I have seen the declarations in television and the King was calm and smiling.;)

I saw the king also on the television.He was calm and happy.But they didn't show the part when he answer no to that cuestion.But someone from an other Forum already explaine to me why he maybe don't want the baby to be name Juan carlos.Is because his name is Juan an for historical problems with Franco.So Now i understand.

The King Juan Carlos in family always has been Juan. In Spain he was the Prince Juan Carlos (the relations between Franco and Don Juan were bad enough). When he acceded to the throne a successor problem appeared. His father had been Juan III (and such how it ordered his son buried him), then a problem was appearing ... because of it he ended up by being the King Juan Carlos I, and not Juan III or Juan IV. Probably because of it the King does not want that his grandson calls this way.

How about Victor Carlos Luis Felipe Jorge Alfonso Jozef

I've read some declarations made by the King, who said that the princes of asturia haven't asked him how to name their son/daughter, he added if they would have done he would have said whatever they want. It sounds to me that he expected them to asked. I think it would be very normal for a prince and wife to consult about names, specially to the family. I hope this does not represent that they have a distant relationship.

Ariel said:
I've read some declarations made by the King, who said that the princes of asturia haven't asked him how to name their son/daughter, he added if they would have done he would have said whatever they want. It sounds to me that he expected them to asked. I think it would be very normal for a prince and wife to consult about names, specially to the family. I hope this does not represent that they have a distant relationship.

I who you me would not take very much seriously the King Juan Carlos, it is necessary to know his humor and how he says the things. In Spain we are accustomed to his way of being, probably in other countries be difficult to deal.
Not if they would ask something him or not, but they were doing it it would not be so strange, the parents choose the names of their children, it is very heavy when the whole family wants to think. Bearing in mind that besides have to the whole country choosing names. Even the journalists have bets on the sex of the baby, the name and the date of birth.:p

Carolina Sofía Paloma Elena Cristina Covadonga de Todos los Santos de Borbón y Ortiz

CP Letizia isn´t from royal or aristocrat background, so the new Infante or Infante won´t be Borbon y Ortiz, he/she will be named Borbon-Ortiz. (I read it somewhere) :)

My guesses :p

Boy: Carlos Felipe Alfonso Pelayo de Todos los Santos de Borbon-Ortiz

Girl: Sofia de las Mercedes de Todos los Santos de Borbon-Ortiz

xicamaluca said:
CP Letizia isn´t from royal or aristocrat background, so the new Infante or Infante won´t be Borbon y Ortiz, he/she will be named Borbon-Ortiz. (I read it somewhere) :)

What is the difference exactly?:confused:

I know that the Infanta's children are named "Marichalar y de Borbón" and "Urdangarín y de Borbón", so that was why I used Borbón y Ortiz...;)

Anna_R said:
What is the difference exactly?:confused:

I know that the Infanta's children are named "Marichalar y de Borbón" and "Urdangarín y de Borbón", so that was why I used Borbón y Ortiz...;)

They are "y de Borbon" because her mother is from royalty ;) . In Spain, the mother´s family name came in the end, but children use dad's family name (exp. Letizia Ortiz (dad's name) Rocasolano(mom's name)). So, the Infanta's children, being her mothers royal ladies, they were named y de Borbon. If Marichalar or Urdangarin were the mom´s name, they would becalled "borbon y Marichalar" (because Jaime is from an aristocratic family) and "borbon-Urdangarin".

Why it´s like this, i don´t know :p I´ll try to find out the article were i read, maybe it explains why ;)

I like Juan Carlos Alfonso. :)

I named my daughter Sophia Carolina Carrera. precicely because of the Queen. My father's side of the family came from Spain and had titles something similar to a Marques y Marqueza (spelling?) so going to my Spanish side of the family I pulled the highest I could get.

So if the Princes were to choose Sofia I would be delighted. I already put a name that I thought they would be using in similarity - Sofia Maria de las Mercedes Cristina. These three ladies are/were very close to the Prince. I would dislike it very much that they add Letizia's mom name or her own. I think the name Paloma doesn't sound royal at all. I find it quite vulgar my self. All I think of is the bird. in my opinion.

As for boys like I said before, I hope is a girl and not a boy. but if science wins, Alfonso Juan Pablo de todos los santos.

But definitely a girl must be born!!!

CasiraghiTrio said:
I like Juan Carlos Alfonso. :)

king Juan Carlos said yesterday that definitly the baby won´t be called Juan Carlos, like him.

Mika said:
So if the Princes were to choose Sofia I would be delighted. I already put a name that I thought they would be using in similarity - Sofia Maria de las Mercedes Cristina. These three ladies are/were very close to the Prince. I would dislike it very much that they add Letizia's mom name or her own. I think the name Paloma doesn't sound royal at all. I find it quite vulgar my self. All I think of is the bird. in my opinion.

Paloma is not a vulgar name, and is more Spanish than for example Sofía. The Virgin of la Paloma is one of the mistresses of Madrid, how the Virgin of the Almudena.
Each country has different names. For example, in Spain there are many names of Virgins, many cities and towns it has his Virgins. Those names can to be strange for people who do not know them, but in Spain they are very normal.

hola is doing a poll on the names for the future baby:

if she is a girl...

Sofía 1931
María 317
Cristina 149
Elena 73
Victoria 558
Eugenia 439
Federica 171
Isabel 618
Almudena 302
Covadonga 496
Letizia 117
Pilar 233

if he is a boy....

Juan 686
Carlos 937
Alfonso 877
Jaime 207
Pablo 347
Felipe 476
Pelayo 1298
Fernando 524
Enrique 190
Jesús 82
Luis 263

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm....

Girl: Isabel Sofía Paloma Covadonga.

Boy: Carlos Juan Jesús María

I'm horrible at these things.:p

Ok, the King said that he doesn't want the baby to be named Juan Carlos. So why don't they name their child just Juan?

LaChicaMadrilena said:
Ok, the King said that he doesn't want the baby to be named Juan Carlos. So why don't they name their child just Juan?

The baby could not be called Juan of first name, could not reign how Juan. The father of the King was called Juan and he did not reign, there is a dynastic jump and that creates a problem at the time of knowing whereupon number would reign. It would have to be Juan with another name, how the King is Juan Carlos.

I prefer names that are meaningful, rather than traditional. Maybe these new parents will completely surpise all of us?!

I'd love to see a baby girl named Esperanza- it means hope. For a girl, I also like:
Constanza- constant
Isabella- devoted to God
Leya- loyal
Mercedes- merciful
Querida- beloved

I'd like Alejandro for a boy- it means defender of mankind. Other male names I like are:
Benedicto- blessed
Esteban- crowned in victory
Fernando- brave
Lucio- light
Ramon- wise defender

I think these are meaningful names to give a future monarch. Not traditional... but maybe that's OK!

Eliza

Boy or girl, the baby will have a theater with his/her name :D

The city hall of Jaen announced that the most waited city theater (already under constrution) will have the name of the Princes first born. This will be city gift to the baby Infante/Infanta, together with a tales book about the city legends, in a single edicion, embroided with gold thread.

A spanish article about it:
http://www.ideal.es/jaen/pg051029/prensa/noticias/Local_Jaen/200510/29/JAE-LOC-156.html

Now that we know it's a girl, any better guesses on what her name might be?

Elsa mentioned that she was born on the eve of All Saints Day -- will that determine the baby's name?

I myself like the name Isabella as a first name. Infanta Isabella sounds lovely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom