King Frederik's Birthday: May 26 (2024-)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iceflower

Administrator
Site Team
Country
Germany
This is the thread dedicated to King Frederik's official birthday celebrations.

From this year on it will be celebrated with a balcony appearance and grand changing of the guard ceremony:

HM The King turns 56 years old on 26 May 2024. On this occasion, His Majesty and The Royal Family will appear on the balcony of Frederik VIII’s Palace at 12:00.
The Royal Life Guard will be in red full-dress uniforms on The King’s birthday, and The Life Guard will carry out a grand changing of the guard ceremony on Amalienborg Palace Square at 11:50.

Please take a look at the
TRF Community Rules & FAQs!

· Only pictures you have written permission to share can be posted here. You can post links to any pictures.
· No more than 20% of the text of an article can be posted, along with a link to the original article.
· It's a copyright violation to post translations of entire articles.
· We expect our members to treat each other and the royals and persons in these threads with respect.
· Opinions should be backed up by reference to published reports.
· Off topic and empty posts will be deleted without notice.
· Please be careful not to write in capital letters.

:flowers: Happy Posting! :flowers:

HM The King turns 56 on Sunday 26 May 2024. On this occasion, His Majesty and the Royal Family will appear on the balcony of Frederik VIII's Palace at 12.00.

The public is invited to take part in the celebration of the King on the Castle Square. In this connection, the police will guide the public in the square when, shortly before 12.00 a big change of guard is carried out at the Royal Life Guard.

Prior Frederik's first birthday as King tomorrow, the Palace has shared a little review:

A special tradition in the Royal House will be continued tomorrow, when His Majesty the King steps out onto the balcony of Frederik VIII's Palace on his birthday at 12.00 👋🇩🇰Over the years, Amalienborg has formed the setting for many special birthday moments. Here is a little retrospective.

The Royal Run Instagram has posted a reel wishing the King a Happy Birthday

From Danish Mission in NYC

New photo in honor of the King's birthday

Yes, the balcony scene is in less than two hours from this is posted.
It will be well covered! Because this is the first balcony scene for King Frederik as Monarch and also because there is a good deal of curiosity in regards to QMII. - First of all she is still alive and she has rarely been as popular as she is now. That QMII will step out is almost a certainty, but when and which one?
My guess is that QMII will appear on the balcony the second time, together with King Frederik and Queen Mary and possibly Christian as well.
The third appearance will be the whole family, to the extent there is room for all of them - and it may well include Benedikte. I hope so at least.

But... There is a nasty thunderstorm passing through DK today and looking at the direction it takes, it means that there will be no cover on the balcony at all. They'll get it right in the face!
However the meteorologists predict a letup around noon, so if FX has been a good boy this last year, he'll remain dry.
That according to the tradition in DK that the weather reflects how well behaved the birthday child has been in the past year. Good weather = well behaved.

I think it's safe to say that BT and BB will have a live coverage and DR1 may also, even though it conflicts with the noon news.

So here is a BT link with live coverage from Amalienborg, which has started.

Can we outwith Denmark get live coverage of the balcony scenes?

Here maybe

Here are some more photos of the balcony appearance today:

** gettyimages gallery ** gtresnews gallery **

** robinutrecht.photoshelter.com gallery **

The little interactions delight me. Josephine and Isabella. King Frederik and QMII - like predicted she almost outshone everyone, beaming with pride as she did. And of course the Regent Couple.

BTW unless I'm very mistaken the cross Josephine wore is called a Dagmarkors (kors = Christian cross = +. Not to be confused with a kryds = cross = X) I have no idea what they are called outside DK. They are often presented as confirmation-gifts.
They are extremely common in DK.

Two typical examples:
They are very much national crosses, because the original Dagmar-cross was found in a royal tomb in 1683 and over time a tradition came to be that the cross originates from Queen Dagmar who died in 1212.
This is the original Dagmar-cross found in 1683:

Last edited:
Thank you for posting the ancient crosses and their history Muhler.
Does this mean the twins have been confirmed?

:previous: No. They won't be confirmed until spring 2025 at soonest but more likely spring 2026.

The Dagmar-cross is also a common christening gift for girls. And perhaps more relevant, it's a very popular piece of jewellery among Danish teenage girls these days. It has gotten a revival somehow.

“On the occasion of his birthday, King Frederik has awarded Queen Mary the Grand Commander's Cross of the Dannebrogorden. Grand Commander is the highest rank of the Dannebrogorden, which is only awarded to princely (royal) persons.”

“There are currently 7 Grand Commanders of the Order of Dannebrogorden. In addition to the King and Queen, the Grand Commander's Cross is worn by Queen Margrethe, Prince Joachim, Princess Benedikte, King Carl Gustaf and King Harald.”

Last edited:
I'm amazed by Josephine. She really appears to have become a teenager in the past 6-8 months. And Vincent is not far behind!

Just a joyful day! The family just transmits great vibes from parents to children. Margrethe was beaming with pride.
What a joy that Frederik can celebrate his first birthday as King with his mother still around. I love how she included, her smiles with Mary were so warm.
The interactions between all 7 were cute.

After the balcony appearance the King family drove home, Christian and Mary at the wheel. And if they are like my family, last one home loses lol.

Just a joyful day! The family just transmits great vibes from parents to children. Margrethe was beaming with pride.
What a joy that Frederik can celebrate his first birthday as King with his mother still around. I love how she included, her smiles with Mary were so warm.
The interactions between all 7 were cute.

After the balcony appearance the King family drove home, Christian and Mary at the wheel. And if they are like my family, last one home loses lol.
Agreed. Just a beautiful sight of the 7 of them in the balcony. You can feel their warmth and joy and their ease. In a few photos it looked like QMII was about to burst with pride. It cannot be said enough how fantatsic it is that the change of throne was a happy occasion and there is joy all around in celebrating Frederik as the new King but also still having QMII there.

King Frederik has thanked all well wishers for their birthday wishes today:

Thank you very much for the attention on my birthday.For the attendance at the castle square, for the flag and birthday song as well as greetings from near and far.✍️ H.M. The king.

The moment Josephine steps out on the balcony next to her dad, she has an uncanny resemblance to Isabella. It lasts only a second or so, but they can't explain away that they are sisters!
Also, at 0:52 - I wonder what Vincent and Josephine was talking about, because her facial expression changes suddenly, - as teens admittedly are in habit of doing every two minutes...

A few years ago, I saw an interview with Queen Margrethe, wherein she talked about how difficult it was for to have her father die and then suddenly, she was Queen. She was, of course, mourning her father’s death and trying to be proper in filling her new role at the same time.
I thought of this when she was at Queen Elizabeth’s funeral. I realize that her physical challenges had everything to do with her decision. But, I personally am glad for the family and for the people of Denmark, that she is still a joyful part of the picture.

Back
Top Bottom