The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 7: Oct. 2022 - Apr. 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
why was she talking about it anyway? She didn't do the citizenship test as she didnt stay in the UK long enough.

I suspect it is another one of those things that H&M appear to regularly put out that has a tenous link to the truth.

Last edited:
why was she talking about it anyway? She didn't do the citizenship test as she didnt stay in the UK long enough.

That was my first thought when I read she brought it up: Why? Seems pretty irrelevant considering she didn’t stay long enough to take it.

Likely she mentioned the citizenship test because she simply needed additional material for the podcast.

One of her guests was a naturalized British citizen and she tends to try to relate to people by coming up with what what they have in common.

They joked that Meghan’s test would have been harder than most people’s

I feel bad for Harry being referenced here, kind of being mocked in a way, by Meghan during this Podcast. Why even bring him into this ?
*If* She felt the need to even bring up the UK Citizenship Test, don't specifically mention that, when discussing questions with Harry his response about the test questions was.... " Oh, I had no idea".

He has been throughout his life labelled "dim", not to bright.

BUT, the past perception was, prior to the past 3 years anyway, was that his other personal qualities of empathy and caring AND being a fun "uncomplicated" guy mattered more. A great guy to be around was the image the Public had of Harry.

Now THAT "persona" of his has certainly been thrown into doubt.

Megan's Podcasts are built around exploring stereotypes, I'm sorry, "archetypes". How they define and limit People's potential. False perceptions.
And what did she just do ? Reinforce the perception that Harry isn't to bright. Wow.

He couldnt pass a UK cititzenship test on cultural, social, political and historical questions. I find that very sad that She brought him into that conversation. I think she knew about what the topics of the Podcast would be AND that little gem would be mentioned too.

Last edited:
I feel bad for Harry being referenced here, kind of being mocked in a way, by Meghan during this Podcast. Why even bring him into this?

...Megan's Podcasts are built around exploring stereotypes, I'm sorry, "archetypes". How they define and limit People's potential. False perceptions.
And what did she just do ? Reinforce the perception that Harry isn't to bright. Wow.

He couldnt pass a UK cititzenship test on cultural, social, political and historical questions. I find that very sad that She brought him into that conversation. I think she knew about what the topics of the Podcast would be AND that little gem would be mentioned too.

Last night I read a review on this specific podcast by Megyn Kelly stating she felt mortified Prince Harry is not mentioned by name, but by Meghan referencing him as a property using "my husband" again and again. Considering the amount of times she uses the pronoun "I" or refers to herself and her struggles masked as third person pronoun "She", she could have dropped his name more often, too.

Re H&M smarts, I'll go for neither. Yet, Harry has the upper hand when leading an interesting conversation during interviews. Even in the podcast when he is not even mentioned by name, he is present as the reason she has a lifestyle to complain about in a "...sprawling nine-bedroom and 16-bathroom mansion in upscale Montecito, Santa Barbara, for $14.65 million..." mentioned in the above link posted about this week's podcast.

I mean, the helping with the kids and to get them downstairs? As USA comedian Chris Rock (the one slapped at the Oscars) said ages ago during a stand-up routine, parents don't get extra points for doing the chores a parent is expected to do anyway.

Last edited:
One of her guests was a naturalized British citizen and she tends to try to relate to people by coming up with what what they have in common.

They joked that Meghan’s test would have been harder than most people’s

That comment just made me go 'ugh'. Someone needs to get over their Main Character Syndrome. As if any test preparer, administrator or marker would even know it was Meghan taking the test, much less spend the time to issue her a 'harder' version.

I know it was intended a teasing, throwaway remark, but it spoke volumes that it was included in the final edit.

It seemed fairly evident to me why Meghan brought up studying for the test: the couple is fond of using any occasion to “correct the narrative” about themselves. She slid this in there to correct a prevailing belief that she never intended to stay in the UK. Of course she did! She was even preparing to become a citizen! How committed she was!

I am reminded of a speech Harry made when the popular narrative was that Meghan was driving the family’s exit from the UK. In saying “MY decision” to leave, he landed on the word my so heavily he actually stopped talking for a moment.

They want you to know they don’t care what’s said about them because they know their own truth, but they also want you to know they hear everything and it’s wrong.

It seemed fairly evident to me why Meghan brought up studying for the test: the couple is fond of using any occasion to “correct the narrative” about themselves. She slid this in there to correct a prevailing belief that she never intended to stay in the UK. Of course she did! She was even preparing to become a citizen! How committed she was!

I am reminded of a speech Harry made when the popular narrative was that Meghan was driving the family’s exit from the UK. In saying “MY decision” to leave, he landed on the word my so heavily he actually stopped talking for a moment.

They want you to know they don’t care what’s said about them because they know their own truth, but they also want you to know they hear everything and it’s wrong.

Out of curiosity, I took a sample of the test on the Daily Express site. It is not as hard as Meghan says , but it has many questions on British history, culture and geography that are indeed difficult for someone who does not live in the UK or did not prepare for the test.

But it was really unfortunate that , in her comments ,Meghan first never refers to Harry by his name, calling him “ my husband” instead, and, second, makes a point that he didn’t know the answers to the questions on the test either , presumably to back her claim that it was a really hard test. Given that Harry has never been academically gifted and has long been stigmatized as being not particularly bright, I think comments like that might be hurtful and, in any case, they were unnecessary.

Last edited:
It must be a slow news day when Megyn Kelly is reviewing Meghan's podcast.
Her criticism are absurd. Why can't Meghan call her husband her husband? Of course if she called him "Harry" or "Prince Harry" Megyn would have then said "yeah yeah we know you married a Prince"...etc.
Terrible!

One of my favorite Beatles songs is a George Harrison composition, one of the last songs recorded at the end of the band days, called "I Me Mine".
Harrison said its about the destructive forces of ego and identity.

I really hope Harry isn't being sidelined in the Duke and Success of Sussex "brand" Show, but I too have noticed that he is usually referred to "MY husband", which I find curious, almost dismissive.
I would love to know what Spotify makes of the commercial value of the Podcasts for them? Are there more planned for 2023 ?

Personally, I don't find them interesting, enlightening or thought provoking. The only aspect that sticks out for me is when Meghan "steps" in it with controversial statements in the Podcasts.
From *whatever* the truth of the smoking Heater in Archie's room in South Africa was, where the victim card got played. Then the REAL pushback Meghan got when she made light of her VERY profitable time as a Suitcase Girl on the "Deal or No Deal Game Show", saying it wasn't worthy of HER talents. Really ! I don't think She expected the negative reaction, from co-workers to being to them a hot topic on The View.
Ouch. Whoopie called Meghan out too !

Nothing "Game Changing" at all. Nothing " empowering " either. Except for Meghan seeking to elevate herself in public discourse. But to what end ?
Meghan seems made of stronger stuff than Harry, even Charles fondly (at that time) nicknamed her Tungsten ! But Harry ? He seems miserable.

I'm just fearful that The Book and The Docu-series ( which Meghan seems to be backpedaling responsibility for) will absolutely blowup once AND for all Family relationships for Harry.
And with him being NOT the strong, secure and confident person that I truly believe Meghan is, it could wind up being very bad for him. Especially if they go through rocky times or stress in their own marriage.
I guess we will know in a very short while.

Last edited:
*Shrugs* I guess I was always taught this is a matter of common courtesy. When you introduce a person or refer to a person in speech, you never define that person in terms of yourself unless this is somehow relevant to the conversation.

So, “when I was ill last week my husband cared for me” is appropriate because he cared for me in his role as my husband, but “my husband would have failed this test” is not because it defines another person in terms of yourself in an irrelevant way and is not appropriate for polite conversation, being self-centered. The same way I would never introduce someone to another group of people as “my husband, my brother, my mother.” You don’t define other people in terms of yourself and their relationship to you, you define them in terms of their own self.

I cannot for one second believe someone in Meghan’s many roles was never taught this basic courtesy.

I think HRH The Duchess of Sussex using her media talents to be a lifestyle/fluff piece journalist a la the third hour of Today/Live with Kelly and Ryan would be a great use of her talents, and definitely provide a steady income.

Frankly, I find that she and HRH The Duke of Sussex spend too much time trying to appeal or defend themselves to people who have already made up their minds to dislike them regardless of what they do or don't do, so what's the point? They should just take their bag and enjoy their fame and celebrity.

Meghan seems made of stronger stuff than Harry, even Charles fondly (at that time) nicknamed her Tungsten ! But Harry ? He seems miserable.

I've always thought that was an accidentally interesting nickname. Tungsten is a hard and durable metal, but it's also quite brittle 😄

I've got a degree in history. So I was OK with the history questions. If they'd been about, say, chemistry, I wouldn't have known the answers unless I'd read the book. So I don't find it odd that Harry didn't know all the answers, but I don't think Meghan needed to say so.

I've got a degree in history. So I was OK with the history questions. If they'd been about, say, chemistry, I wouldn't have known the answers unless I'd read the book. So I don't find it odd that Harry didn't know all the answers, but I don't think Meghan needed to say so.

It doesn't make him look good. Even if half the RF would have had trouble with the questions, they are not going to say so publicly and make it look like they have no interest or knowledge of Brit history and culture. She made Harry look stupid and indifferent to the country that he used to represent.

I think HRH The Duchess of Sussex using her media talents to be a lifestyle/fluff piece journalist a la the third hour of Today/Live with Kelly and Ryan would be a great use of her talents, and definitely provide a steady income.

Frankly, I find that she and HRH The Duke of Sussex spend too much time trying to appeal or defend themselves to people who have already made up their minds to dislike them regardless of what they do or don't do, so what's the point? They should just take their bag and enjoy their fame and celebrity.

I agree absolutely. They are very very well suited indeed to to be tv celebrities. Making as much as they can off their brand. Some might think that admirable others possibly not.

You pays your money.......

It doesn't make him look good. Even if half the RF would have had trouble with the questions, they are not going to say so publicly and make it look like they have no interest or knowledge of Brit history and culture. She made Harry look stupid and indifferent to the country that he used to represent.

Harry has long been seen as not being overly bright & this certainly won't help. There's long been a caricature of the posh but dim types from Monty Python to Harry Enfield. It's a British comedy staple.

Last edited by a moderator:
*Shrugs* I guess I was always taught this is a matter of common courtesy. When you introduce a person or refer to a person in speech, you never define that person in terms of yourself unless this is somehow relevant to the conversation.

So, “when I was ill last week my husband cared for me” is appropriate because he cared for me in his role as my husband, but “my husband would have failed this test” is not because it defines another person in terms of yourself in an irrelevant way and is not appropriate for polite conversation, being self-centered. The same way I would never introduce someone to another group of people as “my husband, my brother, my mother.” You don’t define other people in terms of yourself and their relationship to you, you define them in terms of their own self.

I cannot for one second believe someone in Meghan’s many roles was never taught this basic courtesy.

I don’t think Meghan is truly comfortable with the idea of not being the main attraction of the Team Sussex brand. She likes the visibility she gained because of who she married, but she doesn’t seem comfortable with the idea that Harry and the family he belongs to are the reason she has these opportunities.

She’s obviously not so uncomfortable that she’s turning things down, but she’d prefer if these riches were coming her way because of her own accomplishments, and Harry’s main claim to fame really was being her husband.

Charles refers to Camilla as "my darling wife" all the time, or at least he did before the accession. Is it that different?

I can see "my husband" as assuming with some reason that everyone knows who that is, and trying not to bring the BRF in every five seconds, and that could be for a number of factors.

Quite the cottage industry…

Huge numbers of people on social media eager to criticize Meghan and her husband for every…single…thing they say and do. If I dislike or disapprove of someone, I try to avoid mentioning that person’s name or discussing him/her. Why fill my brain with thoughts so unpleasing to me? I certainly have no influence nor ability to guide such people.

When my widowed father married a lady who had never been married, she loved saying "my husband". My dad liked it, too. There was an element of pride involved with both of them. It's not very nice to point that out as a flaw, IMHO.

I do think that Meghan had another motive in bringing up the "hard" citizenship test.

Americans might be aware of the current backlash against standardized tests for students, college admission testing, subjects taught in schools, even English language standards. A lot of these things are deemed to be archaic, non-inclusive, unfairly tilted toward privileged students, etc. I think she may be gearing up for a podcast or activism or ... something where she takes this on.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 7: October 2022-

When my widowed father married a lady who had never been married, she loved saying "my husband". My dad liked it, too. There was an element of pride involved with both of them. It's not very nice to point that out as a flaw, IMHO.

I do think that Meghan had another motive in bringing up the "hard" citizenship test.

Americans might be aware of the current backlash against standardized tests for students, college admission testing, subjects taught in schools, even English language standards. A lot of these things are deemed to be archaic, non-inclusive, unfairly tilted toward privileged students, etc. I think she may be gearing up for a podcast or activism or ... something where she takes this on.

Standardized testing for college admissions is an entirely different topic than citizenship testing. They’re not even in the same realm. Going into detail about why would be off topic for this thread, but I’m happy to elaborate on why via private message if you’d like.

Charles refers to Camilla as "my darling wife" all the time, or at least he did before the accession. Is it that different?

I can see "my husband" as assuming with some reason that everyone knows who that is, and trying not to bring the BRF in every five seconds, and that could be for a number of factors.

It’s always sounded awkward to me when I’ve heard Charles say this, but then the way Charles phrases things often sounds odd to me, which I attribute to him being from a different generation. But, for someone in his situation, “my wife” can be a middle ground between the often too formal “Duchess of Cornwall/Queen Consort” and the almost always not formal enough “Camilla.”

Harry and Meghan don’t have that issue to solve - they ran as far away as possible from a situation in which they’d have to worry about not sounding formal enough. And you’re right, everyone knows exactly who her husband is. So why not just say Harry?

Standardized testing for college admissions is an entirely different topic than citizenship testing. They’re not even in the same realm. Going into detail about why would be off topic for this thread, but I’m happy to elaborate on why via private message if you’d like.

No it's not. You take a test to get in.

And, if I may say, a graduate of Eton and Sandhurst SHOULD know the answers, especially a member of the BRF who was tutored. Meghan's crack about the test probably had a goal as a segue/lead-in to some future speech or project, but I'm sure she didn't mean to portray Harry badly. She just has to think before she talks.

Last edited:
The thread is open for discussion on the most recently posted news only, it is not open for general discussing and rehashing of former events. Members have been reminded of this numerous times.

If anyone is confused about the rules governing discussion on the Sussex thread, those are conveniently listed on the very first page of this thread. Ignoring those rules will result in thread closure, and if they continue to be ignored, will also result in more extreme consequences, including suspension or banning of the members' accounts.

Any questions regarding the thread policies that are not clear should be addressed to the moderators via PM.

At the request of member TLLK, here is a link to an article about the Duchess of Sussex's most recent podcast:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ult-codeword-b-ch-new-Archetypes-podcast.html

I feel like the podcasts are beginning to rehash the same information. Today’s didn’t have anything that I don’t think was covered elsewhere under different but related stereotypes in other episodes. It will be interesting to see if it is renewed or treated as a limited series- I don’t see there being much more content without a change in format.

I feel like the podcasts are beginning to rehash the same information. Today’s didn’t have anything that I don’t think was covered elsewhere under different but related stereotypes in other episodes. It will be interesting to see if it is renewed or treated as a limited series- I don’t see there being much more content without a change in format.

That was my reaction as well. When I saw this week's episode was about 'difficult' women, I thought, 'haven't we sort of covered this already?'

I would personally love to see a show that tackles the stereotypes attached to women based on their ethnic origin or nationality, similar to what she did with the 'dragon lady' or 'angry black woman' episodes. What do we believe about women when we hear they are Russian, or Irish, or Native American, or Romani, or Japanese? How do we overcome those stereotypes to appreciate that they are all smart, capable, unique, multi-faceted women underneath?

With the right guests, and the right questions, that could be an interesting show...

I'm reading the transcript and re-reading it to try to understand what she is referencing about her own life this week, but projecting it in third person. By the 26:56 mark is summarized as

...So, we've been exploring what it means for women to ask, for what they need to stand in their power.
And also, the kinds of labels like difficult or pushy, or the b word that often follow along on that behavior..

And

"...So it was sort of codified as this way of degrading women by saying that they were hyper sexual, but also it sort of took away, this idea that they were goddesses.

So it took away the sort of divine power, and replaced it with degrading, kind of Quality Allison wrote a book called again, my edit on the word here 90s, b*** media culture and the failed promise of gender equality...

I get her point on women being called derogatory names if they are in positions of power. But I also recall most of the times these rude names are used by women toward other women on TV reality shows, etc. like the Housewives franchises.
In my decades working in an office with hundreds of persons the times I heard the B word was by women toward other women.

Yet Meghan, again missed the opportunity to be discussing both sides of the problem. And, here we go again and since she likes to quote the Greeks turns herself into a modern Lysistrata chastising us, below her, as the culprits for these rude nicknames.

By the 32:14 mark she brings race into the accusations too but no mention of discussing thousands of Rap songs from male and female performers using the B word in the lyrics:

"...And at the time, we really weren't having a mainstream conversation about how sexist and racist the coverage of these women was we were just Sort of internalizing, these images of women being incompetent, being unfeminine, being hyper, sexual has truth..."

My summary on this week's podcast: another missed opportunity. How to improve it?

1. Enough with the intellectuals, the intelligentsia elite guests that talk about outrage on people they don't even represent. Get Cardi B, Nikki Minaj, Martha Stewart or any lady that has come from nothing to be a major businessperson.

2. Make a podcast with guests to discuss the situation of women in Iran right now.

3 Talk about why half of the USA female population follows the antics of the former president, who is well known for not having respect toward any human being. The hatred he has toward women is echoed by his female followers themselves toward other women.
That's a conversation to have on a podcast by a self-proclaimed feminist: why women in the conservative party elect persons that take away their human rights?

Now that would be a podcast I would like Meghan to do someday!

I hope my rant was not too controversial stating my summary on this week's podcast. But that's what I read and the reaction it caused me. Sorry in advance!

Last edited:
That was my reaction as well. When I saw this week's episode was about 'difficult' women, I thought, 'haven't we sort of covered this already?'

I would personally love to see a show that tackles the stereotypes attached to women based on their ethnic origin or nationality, similar to what she did with the 'dragon lady' or 'angry black woman' episodes. What do we believe about women when we hear they are Russian, or Irish, or Native American, or Romani, or Japanese? How do we overcome those stereotypes to appreciate that they are all smart, capable, unique, multi-faceted women underneath?

With the right guests, and the right questions, that could be an interesting show...

I'm getting the feeling the persons involved with the production are running out of ideas and that's why we all have the same reaction on this week's podcast of 'haven't we sort of covered this already?' I mean, I could grab all the transcripts and run a word check and end up with not a lot of variety.
Better luck next week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom