Queen Fabiola Jewellery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Queen Fabiola was quite wrong that this jewellery, from a head of state, did not go to Queen Paola and then on to Queen Mathilde. This jewellery was obviously an official present.

I am also surprised that a demi-parure that was a gift to Queen Fabiola from the King of Morocco ended up in possession of a "private person". However, there seems to be growing evidence that the Queen's estate was split among far more people than originally thought, including apparently her Spanish relatives.

Last edited:
The official explanation, that everything went to the Oeuvres de la Reine was always rather suspect. A while after the Queen's death her Spanish relatives started complaining in the newspaper, about how they would hear or receive a thing, not even items belonging to their own family. These complaints suddenly stopped. Why?

This year we saw the house in Mortril is used by the Spanish relatives. And now this. Although it is a very ugly piece of jewelry it sould indeed have stayed with the crown. The fate of the rest of the 'missing' jewelry of Fabiola seems to be clear.

Queen Fabiola was quite wrong that this jewellery, from a head of state, did not go to Queen Paola and then on to Queen Mathilde. This jewellery was obviously an official present.

The Belgian RF don't seem to have any concept of continuity regarding the family jewels and this is another example of jewels being sold off that could have formed part of a house Collection or reserved for use by the queen.

What a shame.

Queen Fabiola never wore it . I think she gave it as present long ago as the seller is not a member of the Royal Family.
Queen Paola received jewels of the wife of the Congo President she may not wear and are in a foundation.
The question is now where will go Queen Paola Art deo tiara worn by Queen Elisabeth and Astrid before..

Interesting that this necklace which was an official gift remained the personal property of Queen Fabiola who apparently never wore it. Can they keep official gifts given during State Visits as personal property or had that changed by now?
But then the necklace doesn't look to nice for me.

Queen Fabiola never wore it . I think she gave it as present long ago as the seller is not a member of the Royal Family.
Queen Paola received jewels of the wife of the Congo President she may not wear and are in a foundation.
The question is now where will go Queen Paola Art deo tiara worn by Queen Elisabeth and Astrid before..

Will it be used by the royal family's main line?

Interesting that this necklace which was an official gift remained the personal property of Queen Fabiola who apparently never wore it. Can they keep official gifts given during State Visits as personal property or had that changed by now?

Yes I was wondering that too,

They could also have altered the necklace if it had been kept as the pearls are really beautiful.

Official gifts

Are official gifts considered the property of royal who received them or are they considered the property of the state? If the latter is there a known date when that became a rule of law?

I suspect there were no rules in place when Fabiola was the Queen Consort, and they have now been put in place.

Good question. Are some Royals pocketing stuff and using their positions for financial gain?

Norwegian historian Trond Noren Isaksen seems to have some info about the Spanish wedding gift tiara.
In a Facebook post a few days ago (to commemorate what would have been Fabiola's 96th birthday), he wrote that "this tiara was among the jewels that were left to members of her Spanish family. While some may regret that it is no longer in the Belgian royal family, it might perhaps not have been easy for them to wear such a gift from a fascist dictator who is now widely reviled":

In one of the comments, he adds that "the information comes from an insider who knows for sure".

Norwegian historian Trond Noren Isaksen seems to have some info about the Spanish wedding gift tiara.
In a Facebook post a few days ago (to commemorate what would have been Fabiola's 96th birthday), he wrote that "this tiara was among the jewels that were left to members of her Spanish family. While some may regret that it is no longer in the Belgian royal family, it might perhaps not have been easy for them to wear such a gift from a fascist dictator who is now widely reviled":

In one of the comments, he adds that "the information comes from an insider who knows for sure".
Trond is usually well informed and isn't prone to making things up or guesswork.

Trond is usually well informed and isn't prone to making things up or guesswork.
Indeed. But in this case i wished he us wrong. Pity that the tiara did not remain in Belgium. Seems the Spanish relatives got quiet a bit with this tiara, the necklace which was sold last year and apparently also Villa Astrida

It was a nice tiara on Fabiola but with no significance to Belgium. I think the BRF will manage; they have enough historical problems of their own with everything Leopold II-related without needing to import anything from abroad.

This was the sensible thing to do.

It was a nice tiara on Fabiola but with no significance to Belgium. I think the BRF will manage; they have enough historical problems of their own with everything Leopold II-related without needing to import anything from abroad.

This was the sensible thing to do.
But she got it because she was marrying the King of Belgium. Otherwise she would never had got it.

Indeed. But in this case i wished he us wrong. Pity that the tiara did not remain in Belgium. Seems the Spanish relatives got quiet a bit with this tiara, the necklace which was sold last year and apparently also Villa Astrida
I am sorry to have it confirmed that the tiara is now lost to the main line of the BRF. It could have been a useful and versatile addition to Mathilde's collection.

I am ok with the Spanish Wedding Tiara going back to Spain where it came from. The potential for controversy should it have been seen on Mathilde or Elisabeth was not worth it. Aesthetically speaking I also never thought much of it unless it was disassembled into smaller parts, or worn as a necklace.

A loss for a collection that already is tiny and unimpressive. But considering the history of the piece it is better left to the Spanish relatives. Franco was responsible for 30.000 to 50.000 deaths, there is no need to be wearing a tiara of that man.

The Wolfers tiara fortunately is with the RF and the quality of the diamonds is far superior, even though the tiara itself may appear smaller.

Theoretically it is not actually better with the Spanish relatives, considering all the deaths and hardship Franco was responsible for were in Spain.

It's only no longer a PR problem for the BRF.

Back
Top Bottom