Princess Märtha Louise & Durek Verrett: News & Information 2019 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Daniel's mother has her 80th birthday on 29th August, it could well be that her birthday party will be on Saturday 31st August.

That party (if Ewa Westling will have any) will more than likely be matched with Daniels and Victorias agenda well in advance to not collide with anything

I can't understand waiting so long for the wedding, after all, they have been together for years now and it is not as if they have to scrimp and save to afford it !

Princess Märtha Louise and Durek Verrett announced today that they will marry in August 2024. On this occasion, the King Harald V and Queen Sonja send their congratulations.

Greetings from the Crown Prince Couple

https://www.kongehuset.no/nyhet.html?tid=222950&sek=26939

There is something about both official announcements misspelling his last name. :lol: I don't know what, but something.

I would also like to point out how easily punnable the Scandinavian "gift" is with the English word "grift".

Edit: Interesting, the one from the CP couple has now been fixed. The one from the King and Queen has not.

Last edited:
It will likely be a low key affair… I can see Fred & Mary, and Victoria & Daniel attending as family friends…. Maybe also Constantijn and Laurentien and someone from the Greek RF for the same reason…. But hardly anyone else

I'm going to guess ZERO foreign royals. In fact, I'm going to be super-cynical and guess there's a 50-50 chance that this wedding will even take place.

I'm quite sure the family has private concerns but they can't forbid a 50 year old from marrying who she likes. All that would happen is that they would both scream racism and cause a huge international mess. Especially as Ari was also controversial and they were allowed to marry.

Also it is likely that they are trying to keep as close to her and the girls as possible incase they ever need to be extracted from a situation one day, rather than cause a situation where contact has been cut off.

They have made it officially clear that she no longer represents the Royal House and theyre not supposed to refer to them in any of their SM posts or business ventures, they break this but the King did put those boundaries in place.

I'm sure Durek is also on his best behaviour around his maybe future in laws and like all con men can be charming.

I think they are desperate for this not to turn into an international mess like other families recently. And then there's Harald and Sonja's own story where they were prevented from marrying for years and vowed that their children could marry whoever they wanted.

But I said I'm sure there is a lot of concern given ML's history, personality and self acknowledged mental health problems. Buy again even Royals can't prevent an adult from marrying whoever they want.
Harald and Sonja’s love doesn’t compare to this at all. He was the former Crown Prince later on King, and Martha Louise isn’t going to be Queen. Additionally, Harald and Sonja’s issue was social class and it was easier to swallow that pill in the minds of the family than ML and Durek.

Her parents have spoilt a bit too much given that she wasn’t going to be heiress. When people say marry who you love, they don’t mean just anybody.

Can't wait to see which tiara Durek will choose for his wedding day!
And for Märtha? Flowers on her hair of course, and a veil.

Just like the white winged dove
Sings a song, sounds like she's singing
Ooh, baby, ooh, said ooh

? :bangin:

Harald and Sonja’s love doesn’t compare to this at all. He was the former Crown Prince later on King, and Martha Louise isn’t going to be Queen. Additionally, Harald and Sonja’s issue was social class and it was easier to swallow that pill in the minds of the family than ML and Durek.

Her parents have spoilt a bit too much given that she wasn’t going to be heiress. When people say marry who you love, they don’t mean just anybody.

I'm not saying Sonja and Harald's love compares to Martha and Durek's just that it may well have played a part in them agreeing that their children could marry whomever they wanted. Neither MM or AB were people that many royal houses would welcome with open arms to the people in direct succession at the time and yet they did.

I suspect her parents have indulged her for various reasons, perhaps partly because she was the eldest and *not* the heir and she has talked about feeling like a disappointment growing up (though not to her parents).

I'm not saying they like Durek or think it's any sort of good idea for them to get married but there are several reasons why they will never say anything, not least of which is that I believe that they want to keep lines of communication open should things go very sour ala his previous partners.

I agree that "Marry who you love" shouldn't mean just anyone but trying to stop the marriage of a 50 something is pretty difficult unless they're willing to try and prove she needs a conservatorship or Norwegian equivalent, which I doubt she does. Especially for a couple who have already screamed racism to the press is just going to make things worse for everyone and cause international incidents.

I am pleased and slightly surprised that the couple will hold their wedding in Norway, though I think Durek Verrett has become warmer over time in his comments about his wife's country, so perhaps I should not be.

I'm not particularly. ML made recent comments about her daughters' careers taking off in Norway so she didn't want to move to LA permanently. Is she also doing that series on Norwegian TV about supernatural stuff as well?

It's possible both have realised it's better to be big fishes in a small pond that the other way around as Durek does appear treated as a VIP in Norway despite many people disagreeing with his "medical" snake oil e.g. getting invited to give lectures at Ingrid's school and having the press/morning TV shows report on his band. Whereas in LA they get Tamron Hall interviews but not Oprah and a handful of profiles in things like the LA Times but despite Durek's apparently successful business and ML's previously stated desire to be a normal person, it is clear both desire attention. Also perhaps she may wish to be close to her parents as they get older and Durek and his mother do not appear to be close (she gave quotes against him).

Last edited:
I can't understand waiting so long for the wedding, after all, they have been together for years now and it is not as if they have to scrimp and save to afford it !

It's not unusual for long-term couples to stay engaged for a long time, but what strikes me as odd is announcing their wedding a year out. The only time I can recall a wedding being announced that long into the future was when CP Victoria got engaged, but I suspect that had more to do with the date - 19th June 2010 being on a Saturday and coinciding with her parents' wedding anniversary - and preparing Daniel as a Prince of Sweden to the future Queen of Sweden

It's not unusual for long-term couples to stay engaged for a long time, but what strikes me as odd is announcing their wedding a year out. The only time I can recall a wedding being announced that long into the future was when CP Victoria got engaged, but I suspect that had more to do with the date - 19th June 2010 being on a Saturday and coinciding with her parents' wedding anniversary - and preparing Daniel as a Prince of Sweden to the future Queen of Sweden
From what I can remember, all royals weddings were announced a year in advance. Only with the British Royals it is shorter.

CP Victoria got engaged, but I suspect that had more to do with the date - 19th June 2010 being on a Saturday and coinciding with her parents' wedding anniversary - and preparing Daniel as a Prince of Sweden to the future Queen of Sweden

Daniel had his kidney transplant during their engagement and needed time to recuperate. He was apparently quite ill during the engagement festivities. It was also said that they needed that long to arrange the wedding of a future monarch.

From what I can remember, all royals weddings were announced a year in advance. Only with the British Royals it is shorter.

Actually no. Princess Martha Louise and the late Ari Behn were engaged in December 2001 and married in May 2002. CP Frederik and CP Mary were engaged in October 2003; married in May 2004. King Felipe and Queen Letizia were engaged in November 2003; married May 2004. HGD Guillame and HGD Stephanie were engaged in April 2012; married in October 2012. Prince and Princess of Wales were engaged in November 2010; married April 2011. CP Haakon and CP Mette-Marit were engaged in December 2000 and married August 2001

The only one I could find close to a year was King Willem-Alexander and Queen Maxima. That was close to a year.

Of course, the biggest difference is that the Norwegian court isn't annoucing the nuptials, but rather the couple themselves. Just found it odd to announce that far out!

Already during Victoria and Daniel's engagement, it was known that Daniel would have to have his kidney transplant in 2009. He was feeling very ill on their engagement day and had to have dialysis before the kidney transplant surgery, which he had on 27 May 2009. It is very difficult to know how long it takes to recuperate from that kind of serious surgery. And because it was logical for the couple to have the future monarch's wedding in the summer, the wedding was planned to happen in the summer 2010. And as 19 June has been "the wedding date" of the Swedish royals, Victoria and Daniel chose that day to be their wedding day. Besides Victoria's parents, Oscar I and Josefina were married on 19 June 1823, and Karl XV and Lovisa on 19 June 1850.

Actually no. Princess Martha Louise and the late Ari Behn were engaged in December 2001 and married in May 2002. CP Frederik and CP Mary were engaged in October 2003; married in May 2004. King Felipe and Queen Letizia were engaged in November 2003; married May 2004. HGD Guillame and HGD Stephanie were engaged in April 2012; married in October 2012. Prince and Princess of Wales were engaged in November 2010; married April 2011. CP Haakon and CP Mette-Marit were engaged in December 2000 and married August 2001

The only one I could find close to a year was King Willem-Alexander and Queen Maxima. That was close to a year.

Lol. When you take into account the months they are indeed all less than a year. I only looked at the years.
Yes, the proposal was on Feb 14th, and the marriage on Feb 2nd.

I notice that my post where I commented on Durek's stylist apparently seeing him a champion for black rights has been edited.

Let me point out that it is Durek, ML and their supporters who have repeatedly pulled the race card and that Durek himself on several occasions have claimed himself to be a trailblazer for black rights and racial equality.
Durek's skincolor is not and has never been an issue in Norway.

To the Norwegians, the Scandinavians and I dare say to the overwhelming majority of Europeans, Durek is first and foremost an American.
His skincolor is so far down the list, as to be irrelevant.

In fact the Norwegians are absolutely livid each time Durek, ML or one of their supporters pull the race card. As a fellow Scandinavian it offends me as well.

And I believe that view should be allowed to be mentioned here.

While racism of course does exist in Norway, Scandinavia and Europe I dare claim with absolute confidence that it is not the case here.
That Durek, ML and some of their supports claim otherwise should not, must not, be left unchallenged.

-----------

IMO we need to be careful not to censor ourselves so much, for fear of offending someone somewhere, that any debate becomes meaningless.
Otherwise we might just as well start posting videos of cute kittens rather than opinions.

Can't wait to see which tiara Durek will choose for his wedding day!
And for Märtha? Flowers on her hair of course, and a veil.

Just like the white winged dove
Sings a song, sounds like she's singing
Ooh, baby, ooh, said ooh

? :bangin:

:D I can actually see this happening!!

I notice that my post where I commented on Durek's stylist apparently seeing him a champion for black rights has been edited.

Let me point out that it is Durek, ML and their supporters who have repeatedly pulled the race card and that Durek himself on several occasions have claimed himself to be a trailblazer for black rights and racial equality.
Durek's skincolor is not and has never been an issue in Norway.

To the Norwegians, the Scandinavians and I dare say to the overwhelming majority of Europeans, Durek is first and foremost an American.
His skincolor is so far down the list, as to be irrelevant.

In fact the Norwegians are absolutely livid each time Durek, ML or one of their supporters pull the race card. As a fellow Scandinavian it offends me as well.

And I believe that view should be allowed to be mentioned here.

While racism of course does exist in Norway, Scandinavia and Europe I dare claim with absolute confidence that it is not the case here.
That Durek, ML and some of their supports claim otherwise should not, must not, be left unchallenged.

-----------

IMO we need to be careful not to censor ourselves so much, for fear of offending someone somewhere, that any debate becomes meaningless.
Otherwise we might just as well start posting videos of cute kittens rather than opinions.

I fully support your view. :flowers:

To continue my ideas about a "Durek Dynasty"... What are the laws about family names in Norway like?

Is it possible, that their, the Shaman and the Princess, eventual offspring goes by the name "of Norway" or even perhaps "Prince/ss of Norway"?

In Germany it would!

Now, they are alledgedly marrying in Norway - but I wonder, if the Princess will take the name "Verett"... And so it could begin...

I am just asking not to troll, but in Monaco this Alexandre claims to go now by the name Grimaldi or Grimaldi-Coste. So, I just wonder about the legal implications. And while Prince Albert of Monaco has some financial leverage over his kids, from what I did read, Princess Märtha-Louise of Norway seems to be financially very much on her own.

To continue my ideas about a "Durek Dynasty"... What are the laws about family names in Norway like?

Is it possible, that their, the Shaman and the Princess, eventual offspring goes by the name "of Norway" or even perhaps "Prince/ss of Norway"?

In Germany it would!

Now, they are alledgedly marrying in Norway - but I wonder, if the Princess will take the name "Verett"... And so it could begin...

I am just asking not to troll, but in Monaco this Alexandre claims to go now by the name Grimaldi or Grimaldi-Coste. So, I just wonder about the legal implications. And while Prince Albert of Monaco has some financial leverage over his kids, from what I did read, Princess Märtha-Louise of Norway seems to be financially very much on her own.

To go from the current example, she did not take Ari Behn's surname in any capacity, while their children did. So that would seem to be a "no" to both your questions. While the question of surrogate or adoptive children with this couple seems unlikely, it also seems very little can be ruled out with them.

"This Alexandre", who is his father's recognized child, is entitled to his father's name under French law, where he resides. None of that is a claim, or has anything to do with this situation.

No, the Norwegian princes/ses do not have "of Norway" as their legal surname. It is not even part of their legal title.

Edited: I have posted a longer answer with sources in the "Questions about titles" thread. :flowers:

Question about titles

The Church of Norway website seems to indicate that its weddings must always take place in a church (couples even need special permission to marry in a church other than their own parish's), so it would appear that the couple's hotel wedding will be a non-Christian wedding ceremony. https://www.kirken.no/nb-NO/church-of-norway/Ceremonies/wedding/

Related to my earlier question, I know that Durek Verrett has said he draws from many spiritual traditions for his shaman practice, but has he said whether he identifies with or formally belongs to any church or religion in particular?

Last edited:
There is something about both official announcements misspelling his last name. :lol: I don't know what, but something.

I would also like to point out how easily punnable the Scandinavian "gift" is with the English word "grift".

Edit: Interesting, the one from the CP couple has now been fixed. The one from the King and Queen has not.

Edit from the evening of Sept. 14: there is still one misspelling in the congratulation from Harald and Sonja. :D

Well, there is this say, that at the beginning of every big richness, there is a crime...

Durek is in this beginning! But I wonder, if William the Conqueror or Charlemagne or whoever, who founded one of the dynasties here in the Royal Forums, is not to be doubted in his qualities... Their descendents are just further away from the beginning!

And if Durek and his beloved Princess will have babies à la Berleburg, who will ask in a while, where they are from?
Babies...?! Know how old Martha Louise is...?:whistling:

Babies...?! Know how old Martha Louise is...?:whistling:

Victor was citing the example of Carina of Sayn Wittgenstein who is 55 years old and recently had a son via a surrogate mother from the US.
We don't know if they had frozen the eggs or whatever is necessary to become parents at that age via surrogate.
I would be very surprised if Märtha and Durek had considered such a solution, because she has already 3 children and is not in the line of succession.

If Märtha Louise and Durek had children à la Berleburg, it would cause a lot of issues in Norway. Surrogacy is illegal there and it was already considered a problem when Mette-Marit used her diplomatic passport to pick up her friends' child born via surrogacy in India... That's quite mild in comparison to Märtha Louise, still a Princess of Norway and fourth in the line of succession, having a child via a surrogate mother herself.

It's fine for Gustav and Carina to do this, because they have no official role in Germany and Gustav can make his own house rules.

I don't really think they'll go down this route, because yes, Märtha already has 3 children, to whom she has been the sole parent for the past couple of years. But you never know with Märtha Louise and the shaman...

As of today, the misspelling of "Verret" remains in the official announcement on the court's website, both in English and Norwegian.

I guess they are just going to leave it like that. (Or someone thinks ML is marrying a ferret.)

Please move on from speculating about Märtha Louise and Durek having children.

As of today, the misspelling of "Verret" remains in the official announcement on the court's website, both in English and Norwegian.

I guess they are just going to leave it like that. (Or someone thinks ML is marrying a ferret.)

Maybe they know something we don't. I mean, didn't he say about being a lizard or something at some point?

I guess when your real name is Derek but you have changed it to Durek people possibly don't think you care too much about spelling

And even shorter where the belgian engagement periods. Philippe and Mathidle got engaged in September 1999 and married in Decemer and Laurent and Clarie got engaged in December 2002 and married in April 2003

King Baudouin and Queen Fabiola September 1960 engagement, Wedding December 1960
Prince Albert and Princess Paola engagement April 1959 , Wedding July 1959

Back
Top Bottom