Princess Elisabeth, Duchess of Brabant Jewels

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IIRC, the Dutch faced criticism over buying the expensive tutti frutti when they already owned so much jewellery. Nothing serious, really, but if you can avoid it by buying privately... And CP Mary's new tiara was so affordable that there was no need to hide.

I wonder if the BRF is already disappointed that the Vestey tiara was discovered by some sharp-eyes jewellery watcher. From now on, the tiara will probably no longer referred to as Princess Elisabeth's tiara, or the Duchess of Brabant tiara, but as the Vestey tiara. If I were the RF, I'd prefer a tiara that doesn't come with a strange name. Like Mathilde laurel tiara, Mary's or MM's wedding tiaras, they were antique, but the previous owners were never found out. Their only association is with the current wearer.

I think in this day and media age it would be pretty silly of the BRF to pin serious hopes on no one ever discovering the origins of a giant pile of diamonds materializing on the future Queen's head.

Also, names can change... for some reason no one ever insists on calling "the Spanish wedding gift" one the Franco tiara, which would be more accurate. (Except the media, if it were worn again.) Perhaps the BRF is just relieved they've got one with such an innocuous history it may well be the Princess's/Duchess's tiara.

I think in this day and media age it would be pretty silly of the BRF to pin serious hopes on no one ever discovering the origins of a giant pile of diamonds materializing on the future Queen's head.

Also, names can change... for some reason no one ever insists on calling "the Spanish wedding gift" one the Franco tiara, which would be more accurate. (Except the media, if it were worn again.) Perhaps the BRF is just relieved they've got one with such an innocuous history it may well be the Princess's/Duchess's tiara.

The Spanish Wedding Gift actually is a 100% correct name as it was a cadeau from the State of Spain to their fellow compatriot Doña Fabiola for her engagement to the King of the Belgians.

The quite costly gift was paid for by the State of Spain, not by the Franco family. Even the often mentioned "fact" that Madame Franco handed over the Wedding Gift was a myth.

The cassette was handed over by Don Fernando María Castiella y Maíz, the Spanish Minister of Foreign Affairs, later Permanent Envoy at the Court of Arbitrage in The Hague, underlining that it was "a Gift from Spain".

Madame Franco represented her husband, at this reception for the royal engagement, during which she witnessed the hand-over of the cassette.

Last edited:
Princess Elisabeth if the first King's young daughter since Princess Marie José and she will be Queen of the Belgians. She had to have a great tiara but in Belgium we are all surprised she wore a tiara which was out of the family.

Last edited:
IIRC, the Dutch faced criticism over buying the expensive tutti frutti when they already owned so much jewellery. Nothing serious, really, but if you can avoid it by buying privately... And CP Mary's new tiara was so affordable that there was no need to hide.

I wonder if the BRF is already disappointed that the Vestey tiara was discovered by some sharp-eyes jewellery watcher. From now on, the tiara will probably no longer referred to as Princess Elisabeth's tiara, or the Duchess of Brabant tiara, but as the Vestey tiara. If I were the RF, I'd prefer a tiara that doesn't come with a strange name. Like Mathilde laurel tiara, Mary's or MM's wedding tiaras, they were antique, but the previous owners were never found out. Their only association is with the current wearer.

To be fair, I do not remember criticsm on the Tutti Frutti, which was a 40th Birthday gift. I do remember criticism on purchasing an expensive speedboat or luxury villas.

The same for the purchase of jewels for Belgian royal ladies. I do not remember criticism. An expensive yacht, or a new house on a secluded French island, okay, but I have never seen or heard criticism on jewels worn by Mathilde, Claire, Elisabetta.

Jewels are so personal and so connected with "royal role" that it feels different to speedboats and sports cars.

To be fair, I do not remember criticsm on the Tutti Frutti, which was a 40th Birthday gift. I do remember criticism on purchasing an expensive speedboat or luxury villas.

The same for the purchase of jewels for Belgian royal ladies. I do not remember criticism. An expensive yacht, or a new house on a secluded French island, okay, but I have never seen or heard criticism on jewels worn by Mathilde, Claire, Elisabetta.

Jewels are so personal and so connected with "royal role" that it feels different to speedboats and sports cars.

Princess Claire got not one, but two tiaras during her tenure as a working royal and she barely attends any tiara events these days. Princess Elisabeth was expected to receive a wedding gift tiara considering that her mother and other Belgian royal brides also got one in the past. I don't think the Belgian people would have an issue with the gift being anticipated, especially considering that Elisabeth is the crown princess and might not inherit other family heirlooms like Queen Paola's Art Deco bandeau.

Out of his private fortune and his substantial state appanage, I believe King Philippe can afford one or two tiaras.

Last edited:
Princess Claire got not one, but two tiaras during her tenure as a working royal and she barely attends any tiara events these days.

We don>'t know if she still has her Wedding tiara,. as she has neverworn it since shje dubuted her second tiara.There have also been rumours that it perhaps was sold to buy a bigger tiara.

Princess Claire got not one, but two tiaras during her tenure as a working royal and she barely attends any tiara events these days. Princess Elisabeth was expected to receive a wedding gift tiara considering that her mother and other Belgian royal brides also got one in the past. I don't think the Belgian people would have an issue with the gift being anticipated, especially considering that Elisabeth is the crown princess and might not inherit other family heirlooms like Queen Paola's Art Deco bandeau.

Out of his private fortune and his substantial state appanage, I believe King Philippe can afford one or two tiaras.

Yes, a cassette with a nice diamond parure has a different "feel" than a new Lamborghini. Jewels can be considered "functional" for royal ladies while a sports car -of course- is just an expensive hobby.

But jewels need opportunities to be worn. The Lorentzen family is rich but seem to dispose of Princess Ragnhild's jewels. Bernhard van Vollenhoven has more than 400 properties in Amsterdam, a Formula One race track, a gigantic media campus but this wealthy man not even buys a plastic diadem for his wife. When will she ever have an opportunity to wear it ?

I am sure new jewels for Elisabeth, Amalia, Ingrid Alexandra, Leonor, Estelle are "logical" additions and will not generate the sort of criticism of a speedboat, a sports car, a jet set villa.

Last edited:
Although it looks like an identical design as the Vestey tiara (a great find by Russian Treasures), the original post on instagram points out that more tiaras may have been inspired on the original design.
So there may be a 3rd tiara.

The one of Pss Elisabeth seems to have a rounder frame and feels less open than the one of Lady Vestey. Of course the frame could have been flexible or they could even have made a new frame to fit the head of the princess. It also seems Elisabeth's version has a row of small diamonds at the bottom frame, while the one of Lady Vestey does not.

The only tiara the King of the Belgians had to buy was Princess Claire's tiara. Before the Auctions the Royal Families are informed. But the historical tiara was too expensive and they bought a small tiara to a belgian jeweler . (The Royals never pay the "TVA").
To me this small tiare is sold and the second is a new one.

Although it looks like an identical design as the Vestey tiara (a great find by Russian Treasures), the original post on instagram points out that more tiaras may have been inspired on the original design.
So there may be a 3rd tiara.

The one of Pss Elisabeth seems to have a rounder frame and feels less open than the one of Lady Vestey. Of course the frame could have been flexible or they could even have made a new frame to fit the head of the princess. It also seems Elisabeth's version has a row of small diamonds at the bottom frame, while the one of Lady Vestey does not.

It is the tiara that once belonged to Queen Elisabeth of Belgium,spouse of King Albert I.
Beautifull that it is back!

It is the tiara that once belonged to Queen Elisabeth of Belgium,spouse of King Albert I.

No it is not the tiara from Queen Elisabeth. Have also ready somewhere that this one was broken up and the stones where used to make the Arct deco Bandeau but not sure if that is really the Case.

The design of Queen Elisabeth's diadem does not match Princess Elisabeth's diadem. I go for the option that once at a jeweller this diadem was in their catalogue and that the "Vestey" is no unica, like the "Cambridge" Lovers' Knot Diadem actually is one of a handful similar diadems in that design.

The one that the queen would wear upside down?

Hurray!!:flowers:

Instead of the Vestey Tiara, I can start referring to it as the Birthday Tiara!

Last edited:
That is what I expected, but I'm still glad to have it confirmed. So we can look forward to seeing the tiara worn at Elisabeth's tiara events for the next years.

I wonder if the family will start a bit of tiara sharing. They are a very close family, and Mathilde's laurel tiara would be appropriate for Elisabeth as well. (Ahh, I guess I'm greedy. I want some variety for her.:D)

The royal reporter Wim Dehandschutter confirms the tiara was a gift to Elisabeth from her parents for her 18th birthday.

"The tiara will remain in the family" says the palace in a statement.

That is great. Hope Mathilde and Phillippe now start to put together a bit of a jewellery box, including getting Mathilde a proper diamond necklace of her own.

That is great. Hope Mathilde and Phillippe now start to put together a bit of a jewellery box, including getting Mathilde a proper diamond necklace of her own.
The one she wore at the gala seemed new. Let's hope it wasn't a loan.

Queen Mathilde only requires one additional serious tiara for her current needs. The ideal solution, as Duc et Pair said, would be to buy back Queen Elisabeth's Cartier diamond tiara, but I don't think that is a realistic possibility.

I don't think royals should wear borrowed jewelry like Hollywood movie stars although Mathilde, Mary and Marie do it or have done it in the past.

I agree that it is wrong for Royals to borrow jewellery; it gives a false image.

This is a great News. The Duchess of Brabant wore her own tiara for the first time !

The royal reporter Wim Dehandschutter confirms the tiara was a gift to Elisabeth from her parents for her 18th birthday.

"This tiara will remain in the family" says the palace in a statement.

Great news! So Elisabeth got both a tiara from her parents and a necklace from the Belgian nobility on her 18th birthday. Lucky girl !

Hopefully she will get a second tiara as a wedding gift and then she will be set!

Her two small tiaras can be worn as substantial necklaces when she needs it. Hopefully we will see her wear the Nine Provinces tiara in full setting paired with the Wolfers necklace as Queen Fabiola used to do. Maybe on a future state visit to the UK in the next reign (unfortunately, I don't think there will be one before that).

Last edited:
I am thrilled that the Duchess received such a wonderful gift! I think it’s a great “crown princess” tiara, and her parents have great taste. She’s wears it well.

Now I want to know: is it convertible??? :flowers:

:previous: The Birthday Tiara /BT;) is pretty substantial. Unless it can be broken down, not sure how one could get a necklace out of it.

On the other hand, I am very eager to see the diamond necklace the princess received for her 18th, and whether it can be converted into a parrure....

YAAAY! I start believing that it's not they don't purchase new jewels but it's just Mathilde prefers sticking to th jewels she already owned. Maybe Philippe & Mathilde actually purchased/planned to purchase many pieces for their children ;)

Maybe Philippe & Mathilde actually purchased/planned to purchase many pieces for their children ;)

The jewellery requirements of the younger children will be very different from that of the Crown Princess. Perhaps for the younger children Mathilde will buy some personal pieces they can use regularly (eg, diamond studs, tennis bracelet, pearl choker etc), but work towards putting together a collection of more substantial jewels that can be shared between all the ladies.

Back
Top Bottom