Prince Albert of Belgium & Duchess Elisabeth in Bavaria - 1900

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blog Real

Imperial Majesty
City
Lisboa
Country
Portugal
Albert was married in Munich on 2 October 1900 to Bavarian Duchess Elisabeth Gabrielle Valérie Marie, a Wittelsbach princess whom he had met at a family funeral. A daughter of Bavarian Duke Karl-Theodor, and his second wife, the Infanta Maria Josepha of Portugal, she was born at Possenhofen Castle, Bavaria, Germany, on 25 July 1876.

The civil wedding was conducted by Friedrich Krafft Graf von Crailsheim in the Throne Hall, and the religious wedding was conducted by Cardinal von Stein, assisted by Jakob von Türk, Confessionar of the King of Bavaria.

https://crossoflaeken.blogspot.com/2009/10/wedding-of-albert-elisabeth.html?m=1

https://royal-magazin.de/belgium/be...edding-jewels-gift-royal-marriage-belgian.htm

Photos:
https://c2.quickcachr.fotos.sapo.pt/i/G6b1733e3/22350749_nOe9a.jpeg

https://c2.quickcachr.fotos.sapo.pt/i/G2c181c8f/22350750_kdffb.jpeg

Last edited:
I still want to know why they got married in Germany and not in Belgium?

The custom was (and still is in some cases) to marry in the bride's hometown. Just like Leopold after him married in Sweden because he married a Swedish princess.

I figured it would be different since Albert was the heir to the throne. (Leopold and Astrid had their religious ceremony in Belgium. Presumably because the Belgians wanted a wedding.)

Leopolds I and II also married in Belgium, I believe.

I figured it would be different since Albert was the heir to the throne. (Leopold and Astrid had their religious ceremony in Belgium. Presumably because the Belgians wanted a wedding.)

Leopold I. married in Compiegne, France. Only Leopold II. married in Brussels.

another exception was also when their daughter Marie José married the future King Umberto II. of Italy. The Wedding then did not take place in the home country of the bride but in Rome.

Weren't Albert parents initially against the match?

The Comtesse de Flandres , Prince Albert 's Mother wanted a Princess of Orleans , but King Leopold II said no because they have a bad health. His Mother and her Sister died when they were so young.
Albert and Elisabeth met at a Wedding. It was a love Wedding !
They are no Pictures of their Wedding , I think a family member passed away.

In 1905 Albert's father died and he became heir to the throne,I don't think we was ever made Count of Flanders or Duke of Brabant?

Nowadays, I assume they would indeed have picked the country of the heir (for example Guillaume and Stephanie got married in Luxembourg and not in Belgium) but in earlier times - when they always married foreign princesses - it seems the tradition of marrying in the bride's home country/town was the custom even for heirs to the throne. For example, the wedding of crown prince Frederik of Denmark and princess Ingrid of Sweden in 1935 also took place in Stockholm. The crown prince would present his bride/wife to his people when travelling home after the wedding.

]
In 1905 Albert's father died and he became heir to the throne,I don't think we was ever made Count of Flanders or Duke of Brabant?[

Intesting question :
The Tittles were given by birth as his Father.
In 1905 he was still Son Altesse Royale le Prince Albert de Belgique, Duc de Saxe Prince de Saxe Cobourg et Gotha
In 1909 He was Sa Majesté Albert Ier Roi DES BELGES ,

Last edited:
Nowadays, I assume they would indeed have picked the country of the heir (for example Guillaume and Stephanie got married in Luxembourg and not in Belgium) but in earlier times - when they always married foreign princesses - it seems the tradition of marrying in the bride's home country/town was the custom even for heirs to the throne. For example, the wedding of crown prince Frederik of Denmark and princess Ingrid of Sweden in 1935 also took place in Stockholm. The crown prince would present his bride/wife to his people when travelling home after the wedding.

It still seems to vary a bit; Leopold II married his wife in Belgium — not Austria.

I thought his uncle had at least one candidate in mind and Albert said no to her and told his uncle he wouldn't marry anyone he didn't love? Then he met Elisabeth at her aunt's funeral...

It has always felt like getting married in Munich was very handy for staying out of Uncle Leopold's way.

In 1905 Albert's father died and he became heir to the throne,I don't think we was ever made Count of Flanders or Duke of Brabant?

]
In 1905 Albert's father died and he became heir to the throne,I don't think we was ever made Count of Flanders or Duke of Brabant?[

Intesting question :
The Tittles were given by birth as his Father.
In 1905 he was still Son Altesse Royale le Prince Albert de Belgique, Duc de Saxe Prince de Saxe Cobourg et Gotha
In 1909 He was Sa Majesté Albert Ier Roi DES BELGES ,

Just a minor correction: In 1905 he was Son Altesse Royale Monseigneur le Prince Albert, Prince de Belgique, Duc de Saxe, Prince de Saxe-Cobourg-Gotha.

As with his sisters and female cousins, Prince Albert was only made Prince of Belgium in 1891. He and his older brother Prince Baudouin were indeed never bestowed with a personal title associated with one of the Belgian provinces. As a result, Prince Baudouin died in 1891 with no specifically Belgian title on his death certificate, despite being the heir to the throne of his generation. This shamed the king and government into making the royal princes and princesses into princes and princesses "of Belgium" by royal decree later that year.

https://www.heraldica.org/topics/royalty/royalbelge.htm#Belgique

Last edited:
Yes , the only we have. Some years ago I guided an Exhibition about King Albert I at the Museum Belvue next to the Royal Palace and people often asked why no Wedding Pictures

Back
Top Bottom