Prince Albert and Princess Charlene Current Events - Part 2: March 2012 - March 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is fine that Albert and Charlene were together to wish a good year to the principality. Good work. but Albert being the sovereighn had to speak the message. Charlene could only say some words, she is not the sovereighn.

Well, it confirms she doesn´t speak French.:ROFLMAO:

The new year's message for 2013 from Prince Albert and princess Charlene . last evening, it was on the monaco info. To day, it is on the page of Face book. At the end of the Message , Princess Charlene ended with wishes for 2013 in french.

http://www.facebook.com/palaismonaco

In Monaco matin
Le prince Albert II: "Consolider en 2013 le redressement amorcé" | monacomatin.com

Thanks for posting,I watched this earlier today on Facebook,I liked the little bit of French from the Princess!

How some people can say that Charlene is not speaking french? She did not speak in english in the message. She has an accent as the stranger people has when they are speaking french.
She speaks french with the children and the speeches in french will come very soon.

She is définitelya not fluent at all. It´s not only a matter of accent, maybe she can understand well but she clearly has difficulties to speak. Sorry, it' not a critic it´s a statement. I am only surprised that someone leaving for so many years in a french speaking country and with all the possibilities to learn has this level of knowledge.

HOw can you say that she has a low level of knowledge , she only said one sentence , that the protocole allowed to say. Only Albert could speak yesterday as a sovereighn.
I would have understand that you criticed her if she spoke in english yesterday but criticing her because she wished a good year in 2013 in french !!!

Given the fact that she has uttered only one sentence,I can absolutly not judge her fluency:lol::lol:
But I agree that she a very heavy accent.Grace never lost her foreign accent too:D

When Grace got married she was already speaking French, Check High Society movie, I guess it's because Grace came from a very rich family so might have learnt French when she was young!

In 2010 when they announced the engagement, there was a horrible interview done with Al and Char of the roof of the palace by some old presenter, Char could speak some French, and she understood what he said in French but couldn't reply everything in French. So I'm pretty sure that now, 2 years after that she can speak better, the accent will get better by time I guess

An old friend of Monaco who was choirchild at the chapel of the palace and who attended to the baptisms of prince Albert and princess Stéphanie said me that it was not a problem thhat princess Charlene did not speak fluently french, he said me that she made progress in this language ans she will soon speak french very well. He said me that in he was choir child, the staff of the palace spoke english and french, that the children spoke english and french and Princess Grace worked very hard to learn our language but kept a strong accent untill her death and at the end she spoke very well french

When Grace got married she was already speaking French, Check High Society movie, I guess it's because Grace came from a very rich family so might have learnt French when she was young!

In 2010 when they announced the engagement, there was a horrible interview done with Al and Char of the roof of the palace by some old presenter, Char could speak some French, and she understood what he said in French but couldn't reply everything in French. So I'm pretty sure that now, 2 years after that she can speak better, the accent will get better by time I guess

There is a difference between reading one's lines in a movie and being able to actually speak the language. Remember when Grace first came to Monaco, Father whatever his name was, the Prince's confessor, remarked about Grace's french ' Apparently love is not only blind, it's deaf, too.'

There is a difference between reading one's lines in a movie and being able to actually speak the language. Remember when Grace first came to Monaco, Father whatever his name was, the Prince's confessor, remarked about Grace's french ' Apparently love is not only blind, it's deaf, too.'

True, by Graces own admission she learned French by reading French plays after her marriage. She continued to speak English to her husband and her children. While she did take some French as a school girl at home Ma Kelly was more intent on her children learning to speak German which they hated and after the US entered WWII the children told their mother it was unpatriotic to speak German.

She is définitelya not fluent at all. It´s not only a matter of accent, maybe she can understand well but she clearly has difficulties to speak. Sorry, it' not a critic it´s a statement. I am only surprised that someone leaving for so many years in a french speaking country and with all the possibilities to learn has this level of knowledge.

You said EXACTLY what i was preparing to post!
She is a catastrophy!
I think she does not really serious efforts.

Last edited:
Give her a break at least she is trying, perhaps languages are not her forte, they are not mine:bang:

Abosulutely. Many who write here, think they are writing English, but they are not. On the other hand they are trying and I admire them for that. Many people find speaking another language, difficult.

French is a language, which is very difficult to learn. First the accent, second the grammar, which is a horrible one, I can tell you.
It may be, that she is one of those guys, who does not want to make a mistake - especially in an interview this will be repeated again and again.....
So I feel sorry for her.
Nevertheless she should try to learn and improve ASAP, this will keep critics away on the long term.

BYe Bine

Bear in mind that in South Africa, where we have 11 official languages, the Princess was never exposed to European languages. Very few schools offer French or German. The African languages(we study those at school according to the area where you live) are VERY different to European languages in terms of pronunciation, intonation and grammar. The Afrikaans language is similar to Dutch/Flemish, so German may have been much easier for her to learn than French. So let us not criticise, but rather encourage and compliment her in her efforts. She does seem to be trying very hard lately. I think it's a good idea for her to take it slowly, little by little and thus gain the necessary confidence.

I was just pleased to see her participating in the broadcast. Yes I do agree that given the coaching and support available to her over the last few years, her grasp of the language appears to be taking a long time, but I don't see how her contribution here can be slated so harshly - it is Albert's speech. However, I thought the filming was a little odd - just Albert in the frame and then Charlene pops up to say a final greeting.

Abosulutely. Many who write here, think they are writing English, but they are not. On the other hand they are trying and I admire them for that. Many people find speaking another language, difficult.

It may be because some who write here didn´t have the chance to live in an English speaking country for 6 years. Charlene´s been living in Monaco for longer, and it looks like she took French classes just last month. The problem in not pronunciation because that is inevitable, esp. for those who take up a language as adults because the mouth, palatal, tongue, are used to producing the sounds of one language that has been learnt since birth, and it is difficult to change that. The problem is she seems to make a pause after every word and that is lack of practice and study which is unacceptable in her position.

Three years into marriage,Princess Grace was already speaking French.Not perfect of course but you could see that she was making an effort..there was a dedication.An effort on her part to be a part of her new country.She did'nt have the luxury of staying in Monaco prior to her marriage to Prince Rainier.Theirs was a short courtship .Here's a video :1:10 mark :Grace Kelly, princess of Monaco - Part 7 - YouTube

My theory is that Princess Charlene and Albert talk in English all the time..hence,not being able to practice her French in an intense way,w/c to continually speaks in French.

Last edited:
Some people are simply unable to learn a language no matter how hard they try, and how long they live in a country. Learning a language requires the exercise of certain parts of your brain we don't often use otherwise. Some people can do it easily, others can't.

Well, if she really wanted to speak French, she could have spoken better than that ! Indeed, Princess Grace didn't leave in Moncao prior to her wedding and she succeeded very fast with a very charming accent. Just have a look on how other princesses tried : Alexandra, Mary and Marie of Denmark, Maxima of Netherlands,I am not sure that Danish and Dutch are easy languagues to learn but they tried and succeeded. I think, without offending anybody, that it is a minimum that the monegasques can expect from her, not all of them are speaking english, how could she be close to her people if she can communicate with them, especially the children. This is part of the duties of her new function. You have to take the whole package, not only the advantages but also the duties.

I don't understand you guys.
First Charlene is being criticized for not speaking french.
Now she finally has the confidence to speak in front of a camera and all some of you can do is criticize her again.
I think it's great that she spoke french and showed up in that speech at all.

Have you ever seen Prince Philip show up at the Queen Elisabeth speech???

She didn't have to show up at all ...

Some people are simply unable to learn a language no matter how hard they try, and how long they live in a country. Learning a language requires the exercise of certain parts of your brain we don't often use otherwise. Some people can do it easily, others can't.

Some people just plain have a hard time learning - and that doesn't necessarily mean they are stupid. I had a horrible time in school. I could read a chapter three times a day for a week, but when it came time to be tested you'd have thought I'd never read it at all! And I'm not stupid - my records showed I was qualified to be a member of MENSA!

I was just thinking I haven't seen any pics of Albert and Charlene taking the annual Christmas charity dip at the Larvotto beach this year. Did it happen without them?

Albert and Charlene took the annual christmas dip last years for the testa association.This association helped the victims of tsunami in Thailand and to raise money for the building of the houses in Thailand and in Indonesia. This association was dissolved this year. I know there was an another charity bath of an association made to fight again the breast krebs. It took place when Albert was in Suisse to inaugurat a hotel in Gstadt.

:previous:

That's correct. This year's Christmas swim has taken place on December 23 without any members of the Princely family. This time the proceeds were distributed to the local charity "Ecoute Cancer Reconfort".

Thank you both of you for the info. It is a fun event which a charity would welcome the support of a royal in order to gain extra publicity. Hopefully next year.

I was just pleased to see her participating in the broadcast.

This is true. However, 10 seconds of badly accentuated words in french leave much to desire after so many years in Monaco.

Lets face it, what Charlene uttered in the video could have been uttered by anyone, no matter if one has been in contact with the french language or not. Based on what we have seen, there is no indication of what level of french (if at all) Charlene is capable of which is a shame and quite embarrassing for the first lady representing a country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom