Possible Dukedom for Harry and Meghan

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What Dukedom will Prince Harry receive upon marriage?

• Duke of Clarence

Votes: 63 25.7%
  • Duke of Sussex

Votes: 112 45.7%
  • Duke of Kendal

Votes: 8 3.3%
  • Duke of Ross

• Duke of Hereford

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • Duke of Windsor

Votes: 13 5.3%
  • Duke of Buckingham

• Something 'New' (Please specify)

• An Earldom (Please specify)

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • Nothing - he and Meghan will remain Prince and Princess Henry of Wales

Votes: 9 3.7%
  • Other (Please specify)

Votes: 6 2.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't imagine why it woud not be a dukedom. Edward only got an earldom because at the time the RF was not very popular.. and they were tryng to "downsize" on te wedding and the titles.. and there was the idea that he would get Philip's Dukedom later on....

Oh, I can't either, really. I just always enjoy it when expectations and assumptions are overturned. And this couple has a good record of not doing the expected, so nothing would totally shock me.

If Harry had the possibility to "wish" a dukedom? I am sure that Harry and Meghan already know how their future title!

I think you're right. The Queen probably consulted with Harry & Meghan before deciding on the title & they already know what it is.

I can't wait until it's announced!

I thought Albany was off the table due to there being claimants?

LaRae

Is there a plan afoot to eliminate the claimants? :eek: 😄

Yes, and George V also gave Albert the same subsidiary titles he had used - Earl of Inverness and Baron Killarney. It was quite an honor for the Prince. It would also be an honor if William eventually gives Louis his own titles.

I think Countessmeout made some very good points & none of William's sons will likely be given the York title.

not to stray too far off topic, but i did want to comment - love the idea of the Cambridge dukedom living on through Louis ❤️

With only 2 weeks until the wedding, it is unlikely that Parliament will be issuing a change to the Titles Deprivation Act in order to make Albany available.

It might have been discussed here before and I apologize, but we will know the dukedom of Harry and Meghan on the wedding day or days before? I can't remember how it went for William and Catherine.

not to stray too far off topic, but i did want to comment - love the idea of the Cambridge dukedom living on through Louis ❤️

That will not happen because George is the first heir of the body male to the current Duke. When William becomes King, the Dukedom of Cambridge will revert to the Crown.

In the situation that William dies before the kingship, his eldest son George will be the 2nd Duke of Cambridge. When George becomes King, the Dukedom of Cambridge will revert to the Crown.

In the situation that George dies before the kingship, his eldest son will be the 3rd Duke of Cambridge. If there is no son, his younger brother Prince Louis will become the 3rd Duke of Cambridge indeed.

The most likely scenario for making Prince Louis Duke of Cambridge is only possible when a King William or a King George create Prince Louis a new Duke of Cambridge. But then Prince Louis will not be the 3rd Duke of Cambridge by inheritance but the 1st Duke by a new creation.

Last edited:
It might have been discussed here before and I apologize, but we will know the dukedom of Harry and Meghan on the wedding day or days before? I can't remember how it went for William and Catherine.

Day of the wedding.

LaRae

The most likely scenario for making Prince Louis Duke of Cambridge is only possible when a King William or a King George create Prince Louis a new Duke of Cambridge.

I think this is exactly what MichelleQ2 meant by the Cambridge Dukedom living on through Louis.

With only 2 weeks until the wedding, it is unlikely that Parliament will be issuing a change to the Titles Deprivation Act in order to make Albany available.

It is unlikely that there will be a new creation of the dukedom of Albany, but a verdict that it was not "reasonable" for Charles Edward's children "not to have been aware at the time of the marriage that the [Royal Marriages] Act applied to" their marriages would make Albany available without changing the Titles Deprivation Act, since the descendants would be considered under British law to still be illegitimate in spite of the Succession to the Crown Act.

(5)A void marriage under that Act is to be treated as never having been void if—

(a)neither party to the marriage was one of the 6 persons next in the line of succession to the Crown at the time of the marriage,

(b)no consent was sought under section 1 of that Act, or notice given under section 2 of that Act, in respect of the marriage,

(c)in all the circumstances it was reasonable for the person concerned not to have been aware at the time of the marriage that the Act applied to it, and

(d)no person acted, before the coming into force of this section, on the basis that the marriage was void.​

Succession to the Crown Act 2013

And the topic of whether or not Charles Edward’s descendants are in the line of succession is off topic.

:previous:

I apologize. Just to clarify, my comments were intended to refer to the dukedom of Albany and not the succession to the throne.

And the topic of whether or not Charles Edward’s descendants are in the line of succession is off topic.

But the question on whether they can or cannot legally claim the title of Duke of Albany is not, because it affects the possibility of the Queen granting that dukedom to Harry or not.

Ish - not sure if wording this correctly but would parliament need to intervene if the Albany claimants gave up their rights to the title?

Ish - not sure if wording this correctly but would parliament need to intervene if the Albany claimants gave up their rights to the title?

No claim has been made in the past 100 years, so we should assume that they are not interested. Furthermore, as Tatiana Maria pointed out, the living male descendants of Charles Edward would only have a (potential) claim if they could prove that they have been legitimized in the UK under the Sucession to the Crown Act 2013. Before that act came into effect, they were illegitimate under the Royal Marriages Act and, therefore, had no claim at all, notwithstanding any provisions in the Titles Deprivation Act.

Because it's questionable whether or not Albany can be used I don't think it will.

For those of you who want to learn the history of the title, here's a link from The Complete Peerage:

Albany

Albany is a Scottish title first used by the Scottish royal family in 1398:

https://archive.org/stream/completepeerageo01coka#page/76/mode/2up

Clarence

Clarence might also be questionable because the Earl of Clarence is a subsidiary title of the Duke of Albany. As cmsteepy pointed out its one of the original English dukedoms, dating back to 1362, and has always been associated with the Royal Family:

https://archive.org/stream/completepeerageo03coka#page/256/mode/2up

Ross

I'm rooting for Ross, a Scottish title, but it's association with the royal family isn't lengthy as Clarence's:

https://archive.org/stream/completepeerage06cokahrish/TN-313027_6#page/n417/mode/2up

[NOTE: as The Complete Peerage notes, the royal Earls of Ross were also Dukes of Albany so you will also need to refer to that entry]

Sussex

And finally, the media's favorite, Sussex, which did not become a royal title until 1801:

https://archive.org/stream/completepeerage07cokahrish/TN-313027_7#page/n333/mode/2up

I would rather have Clarence, Ross or Albany...not a fan of Sussex because we already have Wessex going on.

LaRae

I still love the ring of 'Duke and Duchess of Ross' for this couple - but Meghan's last act as an actress was to become 'mrs Mike Ross', so I wonder whether that would be taken into account in the decision.

Last edited:
I would rather have Clarence, Ross or Albany...not a fan of Sussex because we already have Wessex going on.
LaRae

Wessex took some getting used to. Thankfully I don't think Harry will end up with something Anglo-Saxon like that, such as Duke of Mercia or Bernicia. I'd even prefer Sussex; at least its a traditional title.

I still love the ring of 'Duke and Duchess of Ross' for this couple - but Meghan's last act as an actress was to become 'mrs Mike Ross', so not sure whether that would be taken into account in the decision.

I didn't know that. Now I'm having second thoughts about Ross too. Sigh. :bang:

Clarence, Clarence, Clarence....

LaRae

Sounds like you're auditioning for Jimmy Stewart's part in "It's a Wonderful Life"! 😄

I cannot hear 'Clarence' without picturing Harry drowning in a Butt of Malmsey, so its a NO from me...

Boohoo to you wyevale!

One of my favorite movies ever, It's a Wonderful Life!

LaRae

I cannot hear 'Clarence' without picturing Harry drowning in a Butt of Malmsey, so its a NO from me...

Yes. That's what I think of, too.

:cheers:

Wessex took some getting used to. Thankfully I don't think Harry will end up with something Anglo-Saxon like that, such as Duke of Mercia or Bernicia. I'd even prefer Sussex; at least its a traditional title.

The Duke of Mercia would be nice because there would be a brand new beginning for a title without a past. Prince Harry would be the history maker. Also Meghan as The Duchess of Mercia would be the history maker.
The Duke and Duchess of Mercia: A New Beginning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom