Name & Godparent Suggestions for the Twins

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My guess -
James Robert Andre Frederick
Juliana Mary Elizabeth Renee

Iva said:
I really hope it won't be Oscar. That one should be reserved for Sweden.

A name cannot be reserved for a specific country, that's silly in my mind. A name is a name.

I don't see why a name should be reserved for a country. Who says Victoria and Daniel would like the name Oscar? I don't like the name and hope they don't use it but don't see the point of saying it should be reserved for another country.

A name cannot be reserved for a specific country, that's silly in my mind. A name is a name.
I don't see anything silly about that. :whistling: Yes a name is a name, but we're talking about royals, majority of the names used for royal children is comming from their family trees (the exact name) or honoring someone from their family trees (variant). Sweden (Bernadotte dynasty) had two kings named Oscar in their history and another 3 had this name among their names, while in Denmark you can't find the name in the family tree that easily. So I think it would be a nice gesture from Frederik and Mary to not use this name for their son and keep this option open for the Swedes. Whether they use it or not. What I would find silly would be if we had Prince Oscar of Denmark and Prince Oscar of Sweden.

I really hope they avoid using Dagmar; I know it's a DRF name, but it sounds...almost masculine, not a very nice ring to it at all. I'm still crossing my fingers for Johanne or Charlotte for the girl, and Erik for the boy.

I don't see anything silly about that. :whistling: Yes a name is a name, but we're talking about royals, majority of the names used for royal children is comming from their family trees (the exact name) or honoring someone from their family trees (variant). Sweden (Bernadotte dynasty) had two kings named Oscar in their history and another 3 had this name among their names, while in Denmark you can't find the name in the family tree that easily. So I think it would be a nice gesture from Frederik and Mary to not use this name for their son and keep this option open for the Swedes. Whether they use it or not. What I would find silly would be if we had Prince Oscar of Denmark and Prince Oscar of Sweden.

We have two Prince Henriks of Denmark. Two Prince Williams depending upon the way you spell Wilhelm. There were two kings of Sweden named Oscar, so they deserve to keep that name for themselves for that reason?
That's like Denmark putting a copyright on the name Frederik or Christian because that's become some form of family tradition. Change is good, sticking to old names from a family can get tedious.

We have two Prince Henriks of Denmark. Two Prince Williams depending upon the way you spell Wilhelm.
None of them in the same generation. And the Henrik case it's exactly what I've mentioned before, using name from your family tree.

There were two kings of Sweden named Oscar, so they deserve to keep that name for themselves for that reason?
From the point of tradition and significance for the family? Yes, they do.

That's like Denmark putting a copyright on the name Frederik or Christian because that's become some form of family tradition.
Don't they already have it? How many Frederik's and Christian's are there around in the current reigning royal houses?

I agree with Lumutqueen. If Frederik and Mary would really like to name their son Oscar I think they shall be allowed to do so. I don’t see any unwritten rule that says that a specific name is only allowed to appear in the Royal Family of one single country just because they once or twice had a king named like this.
It would be the Danish Crown Prince Couple’s decision if they’d feel comfortable with it or not. Still today there is no son born or announced to be born in Sweden. So if they’d really love to name their son Oscar I can’t see any reason not to go for it only because one day there might be born a boy in the Swedish Royal Family who maybe will be called Oscar but maybe not.
The parents have the right to name their child whatever they like, regardless if they are royal. That’s my opinion. There are enough names out there and a family tree and tradition won’t give only one opportunity to name a child.

I really hope they avoid using Dagmar; I know it's a DRF name, but it sounds...almost masculine, not a very nice ring to it at all. I'm still crossing my fingers for Johanne or Charlotte for the girl, and Erik for the boy.

I agree with the Johanne, and I love Erik but Erik Friedrik, I don't know about.

We have two Prince Henriks of Denmark. Two Prince Williams depending upon the way you spell Wilhelm. There were two kings of Sweden named Oscar, so they deserve to keep that name for themselves for that reason?
That's like Denmark putting a copyright on the name Frederik or Christian because that's become some form of family tradition. Change is good, sticking to old names from a family can get tedious.

One different generations. Henrik is named for his grandfather. Wilhelm-Alexander is between Prince William and Charles in age, so some what another generation. It's not the same as if Victoria and Mary both has sons Oscar. But I agree, it seems dumb if Mary and Fred like the name Oscar, not to use it, just in case Victoria wants it. Victoria and Daniel may not like it. Unless they ask Victoria and Daniel if that is name they are considering for a son.

Christian and Friedrick might not be copyrighted, but any royal is going to know that is not a tradition that will change any time soon, for first born sons at least.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think if they'll use Frederik, it will be the danish spelling.
Not Frederick or Friedrick or something else.

I think if they'll use Frederik, it will be the danish spelling.
Not Frederick or Friedrick or something else.

Frederik, which is Erik with Fred in front of it, which would make using Erik and then it seem a bit redundant.

I don't like the name Oscar, but if Frederik and Mary do, I see no reason why they shouldn't use it.
Who knows if, or when, any of the Swedish royal family might want to use the name?

None of them in the same generation. And the Henrik case it's exactly what I've mentioned before, using name from your family tree.

I'm pretty sure I know there ages, but that doesn't change the fact that there are two people with the same name in the same family. My point wasn't about tradition, it was about the fact that a person makes the name the name doesn't make a person.

From the point of tradition and significance for the family? Yes, they do.

Naming two kings, Oscar is now a tradition?

Don't they already have it? How many Frederik's and Christian's are there around in the current reigning royal houses?

Does that mean that a normal person on the street can not name their children Frederik or Christian because it is copyrighted by the DRF? Can you even own a name? Why does a name have to be confined to a specific royal family? It's not like they don't 'own' enough already, it's come down to owning names to keep them from other royal families? :lol:
Lord Frederick Windsor - son of Prince Michael and Princess Michael.

Love this name - Oscar - and I really hope Mary and Fred use it...and your theory of names being 'reserved' for a particular royal family with that name in their family trees, is a bit redundant in relation to the Scandinavian royal houses because they are all interrelated in one way or another...And take the case of 'Ingrid'...Queen Ingrid was born in Sweden, married the Prince/King Christian of Denmark and then in 2001 (?) the Crown Prince Couple of Norway used it for their first daughter...???

So maybe Victoria of Sweden shouldn't have been named that either, Victoria should have been 'reserved' for the Brits...? Cultural considerations are as important as family history, and Oscar being popular and well used in Denmark (at the moment) is as important as it being used in the overall family trees of the Scandinavian royal houses...I don't think Mary and Fred will stick to the Danish royal family tree in their search...they will take neighbouring houses into consideration too...Or else we really might end up with a Prince Knud ;)

Love this name - Oscar - and I really hope Mary and Fred use it...and your theory of names being 'reserved' for a particular royal family with that name in their family trees, is a bit redundant in relation to the Scandinavian royal houses because they are all interrelated in one way or another...And take the case of 'Ingrid'...Queen Ingrid was born in Sweden, married the Prince/King Christian of Denmark and then in 2001 (?) the Crown Prince Couple of Norway used it for their first daughter...???

So maybe Victoria of Sweden shouldn't have been named that either, Victoria should have been 'reserved' for the Brits...? Cultural considerations are as important as family history, and Oscar being popular and well used in Denmark (at the moment) is as important as it being used in the overall family trees of the Scandinavian royal houses...I don't think Mary and Fred will stick to the Danish royal family tree in their search...they will take neighbouring houses into consideration too...Or else we really might end up with a Prince Knud ;)

Because Knud, Frederik and Christian are the only names found in the Danish tree?

But I agree, I think as long as there is some connection to Denmark, the name would be used from another royal family.

AnnaNotherThing said:

A very lovely post :) totally agree.

Does someone know why noone from the Swedish royal family are attending?? Its quite odd

Does someone know why noone from the Swedish royal family are attending?? Its quite odd

It is indeed, here about three weeks from the christening.

One of the things that springs to mind, and mind you this is speculation, is that Queen Silvia is more ill than just a nasty flu.
I understand that a number of appointments involving her have been cancelled.
I sincerely hope she is not seriously ill, but that would explain this sudden and quite unusual move from the SRF. Even being extremely busy, they would under normal circumstances be able to send at least one representative.

But do we know who are coming at all to the christening? I know I haven´t seen a guestlist.

The guestlist will be published a short time before the christening will begin.

I like Jocelyn Adelaide Gertrude Johanna for the girl and Paul Nicholas Andrew John for the boy.

We can exclude the other scandinavian royals as godparents.
According to the Norwegian Radio none of the royals will be present at the christening and today I read on the Scandinavian Royal Message Board that also the Swedes will not be there.
The dutch will not assist because they will accompany the Queen on her statevisit to Germany.
I think it will be rather low-key.

I think they want to keep it low-key

Last edited by a moderator:
It is indeed, here about three weeks from the christening.

One of the things that springs to mind, and mind you this is speculation, is that Queen Silvia is more ill than just a nasty flu.
I understand that a number of appointments involving her have been cancelled.
I sincerely hope she is not seriously ill, but that would explain this sudden and quite unusual move from the SRF. Even being extremely busy, they would under normal circumstances be able to send at least one representative.

Everyone has known about the date for sometime. It appears that they are all free on the date, according to their daily diary.
I also truly hope Queen Silvia is improving

We can exclude the other scandinavian royals as godparents.
According to the Norwegian Radio none of the royals will be present at the christening and today I read on the Scandinavian Royal Message Board that also the Swedes will not be there.
The dutch will not assist because they will accompany the Queen on her statevisit to Germany.
I think it will be rather low-key.

It is actually quite common for a royal godparent not to be present at the baptism. Often they are not able to attend due to some other obligation. As long as one or two godparents are present, it is not required they are all there. They have someone stand as their proxy in the ceremony. But I think they will have some royal godparents, but like the Danish and Greek cousins of Fred.

Prince Charles: The king of Norway Haakon VII and his granduncle Prince George of Greece are both his godfathers, but the Earl of Athlone and Prince Philip stood proxy for them as they were not present.

betina said:

They're busy. If one of them is named as a godparent, they do not have to be there. Stand ins have been used at many christenings.

In Denmark you don´t need to have stand-ins.

As long as just minimum two of the faddere (godparents) are present, then the rest can be fadder in absentia (godparent in absentia).

Being already godparents to Christian or Isabella I think you can exclude Haakon, Mette Marit, Victoria, Mathilde, Alexia , Pavlos and Joachim as godparents for the twins.

I can' imagine the dutch Royals being godparent in absentia. I am pretty sure that they will/want to be present at the christening when they are godparents.
Queen Beatrix left the spanish wedding to be present at the wedding of her godchild in 2004.
Anyway none of the dutch will be present.

Being already godparents to Christian or Isabella I think you can exclude Haakon, Mette Marit, Victoria, Mathilde, Alexia , Pavlos and Joachim as godparents for the twins.

I can' imagine the dutch Royals being godparent in absentia. I am pretty sure that they will/want to be present at the christening when they are godparents.
Queen Beatrix left the spanish wedding to be present at the wedding of her godchild in 2004.
Anyway none of the dutch will be present.

If the queen left a wedding, is it not possible Wilhelm-Alexander and his wife, or even one of them could leave Germany for a day to attend? Since we don't know the guest list, I thought perhaps it is possible. I may be wrong. But I still wouldn't rule it out, in absentia. But i have a feeling the royal godparents likely will be Greek and Danish cousins.

If the queen left a wedding, is it not possible Wilhelm-Alexander and his wife, or even one of them could leave Germany for a day to attend? Since we don't know the guest list, I thought perhaps it is possible. I may be wrong. But I still wouldn't rule it out, in absentia. But i have a feeling the royal godparents likely will be Greek and Danish cousins.

I think you can leave during an official state visit unless it is an emergency.It is possible that they are godparents bur that they or not there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom