The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royal Families of Austria and Germany (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f78/)
-   -   Grand Ducal House of Baden (Zahringen) (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f78/grand-ducal-house-of-baden-zahringen-9634.html)

Gloria78 05-25-2012 11:03 AM

Does anyone have informations about the tiara valerie is wearing at the wedding of charlene and albert?

Warren 05-27-2012 07:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
:previous:
basic info: diamond and ruby laurel leaf tiara; appears to be set in gold.

v Baden tiara
cropped from a much larger image

Artemisia 05-27-2012 07:17 PM

The tiara has been in the Baden family for at least two generation. It originally belonged to the Margravine's mother-in-law, Princess Theodora of Greece and Denmark (the Duke of Edinburgh's elder sister).

MAfan 01-16-2013 05:33 AM

Her Royal Highness Princess Margarita of Baden passed away on 15 January 2013, aged 80.

She was born on 14 July 1932, the eldest child and daughter of Margrave Berthold of Baden and of his wife, née Princess Theodora of Greece and Denmark.
She was married from 1957 until their divorce in 1981 to HRH Prince Tomislav of Yugoslavia, the second son of King Alexander I and Queen Maria of Yugoslavia. Together they became parents of two children, Prince Nikolas and Princess Katerina of Yugoslavia.
She is survived by her two children and their families, as well as her two brothers HRH the Margrave of Baden and HRH Prince Ludwig of Baden.

Royal Musings: In Memorium: Princess Margarita of Baden (1932-2013)

Marengo 01-16-2013 12:40 PM

An article from südkurier.de:

Salem: Prinzessin Margarita von Baden ist tot | SÜDKURIER Online

The princess will be burried in Salem.

MAfan 01-16-2013 05:59 PM

And here is an obituary from Eurohistory:

Eurohistory: +Princess Margarita of Baden (1932-2013)

An Ard Ri 01-17-2013 06:16 PM

Princess Margarita of Baden had been ill for sometime I believe,had no idea she was residing in England.

May she rest in Peace.

cepe 01-19-2013 03:30 PM

I came across the following obituary in the Times today. I am writing it out in full as access to the Times is restricted.

von Baden HRH Princess Margarita, passed away on the 15th January 2013, at her home in Farnham, Surrey, following a courageous battle with ill health over many years. She was the niece of HRH The Duke of Edinburgh and the former wife of Prince Tomislav of Yugoslavia. She leaves two children, a son, HRH Prince Nicholas, and a daughter, HRH Princess Katarina, Lady de Silva. She will be greatly missed by her family and friends. A funeral service will be held at 12 noon on the 24th January at the Serbian Orthodox Church of St Sava, 89 Lancaster Road, London W11 1QQ. No flowers. Donations, if desired, may be made payable to the Church.

I hope this is the correct thread. Moderators please move if necessary.

cepe 01-20-2013 08:11 PM

Obituary from The Telegraph.
Quote:

HRH Princess Margarita of Baden

HRH Princess Margarita of Baden, who has died aged 80, was a niece of the Duke of Edinburgh and was well known in Britain, having trained as a nurse at St Thomas’ Hospital in the 1950s and made England her home after her marriage to Prince Tomislav of Yugoslavia.

Her Grand Ducal Highness (as she was then styled) Princess Margarita Alice Thyra Viktoria Marie Louise Scholastica was born at Salem, Germany, on July 14 1932, the eldest of three children of Prince Berthold, Margrave of Baden, and his wife, Princess Theodora of Greece and Denmark, a sister of Prince Philip. Margarita’s father was head of the grand ducal House of Baden and the son of Max of Baden, who was himself briefly imperial chancellor in 1918. A descendant of the Duke of Cumberland , he had links with the British Royal family.
Read the entire article here.

Marengo 01-25-2013 10:16 AM

Pictures of guests attending the funeral service for princess Margarita in London:

Sipa Press: A Window on the World. Press Agency

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/Search/...4157&lid=12413

the-funeral-of-hrh-princess-margarita-of-baden-serbian-orthodox-church-of-saint-992759 - Foto's, pers en stockbeelden, Videos - Photos de presse, banque d'images et Vidéos : Isopix.be

Pictured are the duke of Edinburgh, the earl of St Andrews, crown prince Alexander and crown princess Katherine of Serbia, Princess Sarvath of Jordan & two daughters, Queen Anne-Marie.

MAfan 01-25-2013 12:50 PM

More photos from the website of the Royal Family of Yugoslavia:
Zvanina internet prezentacija Kraljevskog doma Karaorevi

Also Princess Sibilla of Luxembourg was in attendance at the funeral.

Stefan 01-28-2013 04:24 PM

Princess Margarita of Baden was today buried at the Family burial ground at Salem Stefansfeld where also her parents and grandparents are buried.

Among the guests where Duke Friedrich and Duke Ferdinand of Württemberg, Prince Rainer of Hesse, Prince Albrecht of Hohenzollern and Pricne Andreas and Princess Luise zu Hohenlohe-Langenburg

Article with pictures:

Salem: Trauerfeier für Prinzessin Margarita von Baden | SÜDKURIER Online

Cory 04-29-2013 12:39 PM

The Hereditary Grand Ducal couple visiting Bucharest invited by HRH Crown Princess Margareta of Romania: Principele

The Hereditary Grand Ducal couple during the visit to Romania: FPMR

Cory 07-06-2013 04:15 PM

Feast at Salem Castle for the 80th anniversary of the Head of the House:

Vizit

MAfan 07-07-2013 09:01 AM

HRH Margrave Max von Baden celebrated his 80th birthday on 3 July 2013.
His birthday was celebrated the following day with a garden party held at Schloss Salem, attended by about 400 guests (but no royal guests attended it, as far as I have understood).

Some articles about the party (they are all in German):
Salem: Ein badisches Fest zum 80. für Markgraf Max | SÜDKURIER Online
Max Markgraf von Baden feiert 80. Geburtstag - Nachrichten Salem - schwaebische.de
Gartenparty von Max Markgraf von Baden zum 80. Geburtstag - Auch in Baden-Baden weiter aktiv als Ehrenpräsident des Comité
And here a photogallery:
SALEM - Gartenparty zum 80. Geburtstag von Max Markgraf von Baden (2) | SÜDKURIER Online

Warren 07-07-2013 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAfan (Post 1572387)
...a garden party held at Schloss Salem, attended by about 400 guests (but no royal guests attended it, as far as I have understood).

According to Prince Radu's blog (link posted by Cory above), the plan was for a garden party on Friday, a formal dinner on Saturday evening, and a reception on Sunday morning.
The formal dinner is likely to be the event attended by royal guests.

ETA.. one of the links states...
"On 3 July he celebrated with the staff of the House of Baden; on 4 July with school friends; yesterday [the garden party] with representatives from government, business, church, and country gentry; on the weekend with the family and kinship."
The Fürst and Fürstin von Hohenzollern also attended the garden party.
The birthday cake was decorated with the Margrave's coat of arms.

Warren 05-11-2014 12:57 AM

HRH Erbprinz Bernhard of Baden attended the 'Hanover and the Crown' exhibition at Schloss Marienburg on April 30.

HN_ak_300414_Marienburg_LOW.14 / Adel und Prominenz auf der Marienburg / Fotostrecken Hannover / Hannover - HAZ - Hannoversche Allgemeine

CyrilVladisla 09-18-2014 09:57 PM

On October 4, 1817, as neither Grand Duke Charles (Karl) nor the other sons from his grandfather's first marriage had surviving male descendants, Charles proceeded to confirm the succession rights of his morganatic half-uncles.
Charles elevated each uncle to the title Prince and Margrave of Baden.

MAfan 09-19-2014 10:14 AM

And in fact the current House of Baden descends from the eldest of these half uncles, Leopold, who in 1830 became Grand Duke of Baden. He was the husband of Princess Sophie of Sweden; they are the great-great-grandparents of the current Margrave of Baden, Max.

Marengo 03-23-2015 05:40 AM

An interview in German wih rince Bernhard of Baden

Der Prinz von Baden ist auch ein Unternehmer - Magazin - Rhein Neckar Zeitung

They refer to him as the chef of the Grand Ducal house. He talks about schloss Salem, family history etc. He lives with his wife and sons in a forester's lodge close to the castle.

courtesy: ATR

Stefan 05-06-2015 03:43 PM

Prince Michael of Baden, the youngest son of Margrave Max and Margravine Valerie has become engaged to Christina Höhne. The will marry this summer at Salem.
Salem: Prinz Michael von Baden heiratet im Sommer | SÜDKURIER Online

Biri 05-06-2015 04:05 PM

Congratulations to them!

Marengo 05-06-2015 04:07 PM

IIRCat the time of the wedding of prince Bernhard to Steohanie Kaul, I read (in 'Vorsten' magazine perhaps) that if one of his younger brothers would marry 'equally', their descendants would get presendence in the succession over the children of prince Bernhard.

I am not sure if this is still the case or if things changed after more than a decade. They probably did. But this marriage won't create any problems if they didn't.

Congratulations to the couple. Let's hope we will see some pictures of the wedding. I suppose it will be celebrated at Salem.

Tilia C. 05-07-2015 06:54 AM

Congratulations to the couple!

I'm very glad that there is finally another wedding in the House of Baden. Prince Bernhard and Stephanie Kaul married 14 years ago in 2001, while the two youngest brothers as well as their three cousins, the children of Prince Ludwig, are all past 30 and still unmarried.

Yes, Marengo, the article state that they are planning a private family wedding in Salem. I hope that we'll be seeing at least some pics in front of the church. I assume Salem Castle has it's own chapel?

principessa 05-07-2015 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tilia C. (Post 1776923)
Congratulations to the couple!

I'm very glad that there is finally another wedding in the House of Baden. Prince Bernhard and Stephanie Kaul married 14 years ago in 2001, while the two youngest brothers as well as their three cousins, the children of Prince Ludwig, are all past 30 and still unmarried.

Yes, Marengo, the article state that they are planning a private family wedding in Salem. I hope that we'll be seeing at least some pics in front of the church. I assume Salem Castle has it's own chapel?

Salem Castle has its own chapel. I have visited it four weeks ago. The chapel is wonderful. A place to rest, to concentrate on the important things and to get the mind free.

Stefan 05-07-2015 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tilia C. (Post 1776923)
I hope that we'll be seeing at least some pics in front of the church. I assume Salem Castle has it's own chapel?

As Salem Castle is a former monastery there is also a Church there the Münster. But it is a catholic Church and the Family is protestant. But the former dining room of the monastery serves as Betsaal (praying room) for the protestant parish in Salem. There the Wedding of Prince Bernhard and the christenings of his three sons took place.

Tilia C. 05-07-2015 07:50 AM

Thank you Stefan, that is very interesting. Isn't it rare that the church/Münster stayed catholic when the ruling family changed their confession? Do you know when the family became protestants?

Stefan 05-07-2015 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tilia C. (Post 1776941)
Thank you Stefan, that is very interesting. Isn't it rare that the church/Münster stayed catholic when the ruling family changed their confession? Do you know when the family became protestants?

The are protestant for a very long time. Only when there where 2 lines the Margraves of Badebn-Durlach (from which the present line is decending) and the Margraves of Baden-Baden the Baden-Baden line was catholic.
As for Salem it was a monastery on its own and only in 1803 with the Säkularisation it came into the posession of the Grand Ducal House. And in 1805 with the mediatizition the country Baden also got a lot of new property which was catholic.

HollyDolly 05-28-2015 04:32 PM

Well I'd buy the castle if I had the money,but I don't. I do hope they find a good use for it.

Stefan 07-05-2015 11:50 AM

On 04.07.2015 the religious Wedding of Prince Michael of Baden and Christina Höhne took place at the Betsaal of Salem Castle.
Here are my pics and a Report: https://royaltravel.wordpress.com/20...em-04-07-2015/

eya 07-05-2015 03:30 PM

Thank you Stefan for your work. I see among the guests expect german royals and prince Hassan with his wife. Prince Hassan must have very good relations with the european royals.

Tilia C. 07-06-2015 11:29 AM

Congratulations to the happy couple!

Thank you for your report and pictures, Stefan.
It is nice to see the bride wearing the Baden sunburst tiara. The same tiara was already worn by her two sisters-in-law and her mother-in-law on their weddings days. A very nice tradition, imo.

It's also interesting to see so many of the Habsburg relatives, though that is no surprise.

Tilia C. 07-29-2015 10:38 AM

Bunte had an article about the wedding:
Prinz Michael von Baden: Bilderbuch-Hochzeit auf Schloss Salem | BUNTE.de

On the pre-wedding they also celebrated the 82th birthday of Margrave Max von Baden. They had about 200 guests and at the wedding dinner they had regional specialities, including venison.

iceflower 05-26-2017 07:44 AM

Stephanie, Princess of Baden and Bernhard, Prince of Baden attended the German Media Award in Baden-Baden, Germany, yesterday, May 25:

** Pic **

LadyFinn 09-10-2017 01:17 PM

Count Björn Bernadotte and Bernhard, Hereditary Prince of Baden named a rose at the White Hall of the Mainau Castle on 3rd September. The rose got name "Großherzogin Luise". The visitors will see the rose at the Italian garden close to the Castle Church.
https://www.mainau.de/files/content/...ogin-luise.jpg
Neue Rose heißt ‘Großherzogin Luise‘ - Insel Mainau

LadyFinn 09-27-2017 03:00 PM

Bernhard, Hereditary prince of Baden and his wife Stephanie attended at a charity event at the Mainau Castle, organized during the visit at Mentor Foundation's workshop of queen Silvia. Count Björn Bernadotte welcomed them to the event.
https://1.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:1...44c&m=pjdknckm
https://2.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:1...44c&m=dgnelkjh
https://1.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:1...44c&m=dolcbhph

HereditaryPrincess 07-13-2018 02:25 PM

Parties have been held at Salem Castle for the eighty-fifth birthday celebrations of the Margrave of Baden:

85 ans du margrave de Bade - Noblesse & Royautés

Marengo 07-13-2018 03:00 PM

Among the guests were apparently the prince and princess of Hohenzollern:

https://translate.google.com/transla...453&edit-text=

maria-olivia 07-13-2018 03:43 PM

thank you Marengo to take over this event on the Board.

HereditaryPrincess 07-14-2018 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maria-olivia (Post 2132558)
thank you Marengo to take over this event on the Board.

Not entirely sure what you mean by "taking over" though I took that to mean my contribution wasn't welcomed :confused:

maria-olivia 07-14-2018 04:25 PM

Sorry Hed. Princesse , for my wrong words , thanks bacause it was in english and more informations.

eya 09-14-2018 04:30 AM

Prince Bernhard visited the state archive in Stuttgart.

https://t.co/xxsF0C0887

Marengo 11-12-2018 04:42 AM

For those who understand German, an interesting documentary about Prince Max of Baden, last -and reluctant- chancellor of the German empire. With comments of his great-grandson prince Bernhard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjZpGiApmyc

Biri 10-17-2019 06:16 PM

Princess Aglaë of Baden is married!

Princess Aglaë of Baden (b.3 March 1981) [youngest of three children of Prince Ludwig of Baden (b.1937) & his wife Anna Maria (Marianne), nee Princess of Auersperg-Breunner (b.1943)] married Wolf von Trotha (b.28 August 1974) [son of thilo Wolf Heinrich von Trotha (b.1940) & his wife Sophie, nee Baroness Spies von Bullesheim (b.1940)] in Amorbach recently.

The bride has two older siblings: Sophie (b. 8 July 1975) & Berthold (b.8 October 1976).

Sources: https://sites.google.com/site/myroya...al-information
Baden
https://heinbruins.nl/Meran.html
https://heinbruins.nl/Christian.html
https://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blogs...g-updates.html
https://eurohistoryjournal.blogspot....e-of-duke.html

Stefan 10-19-2019 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biri (Post 2261551)
Princess Aglaë of Baden (b.3 March 1981) [youngest of three children of Prince Ludwig of Baden (b.1937) & his wife Anna Maria (Marianne), nee Princess of Auersperg-Breunner (b.1943)] married Wolf von Trotha (b.28 August 1974) [son of thilo Wolf Heinrich von Trotha (b.1940) & his wife Sophie, nee Baroness Spies von Bullesheim (b.1940)] in Amorbach recently.

There is an Report in the printed Issue of german magazine Bunte. The couple married in an ecumen icla Service at the Abbeychruch Amorbach. the bride wore the birdal gown of her mother from 1967 which has been refurbished for the wedding, an 200 years old veil from the Auerpserg-Breunner Family (her mother is a born Princess of Auerpserg-Breunner) and a fleur-de-lys tiara from the Baden Family.

Among the guests: Hereditary Prince Bernhard and Hereditary Princess Stephanie of Baden, Prince Michael and Princess Christina of Baden, Queen Sofia of Spain, 2 daughters of Pricne hassan of Jorda, Fürst Andreas and Fürstin Aelxandra zu Leiningen, Hereditary Prince Ferdinand and Hereditary Princess Viktoria Luise zu Leiningen, Princess Olga zu Leiningen, Duchess anna in bavaria and husband Baron Andreas of Matlzahn.

Marengo 10-19-2019 04:18 AM

I believe Prince Ludwig of Baden and his wife live in Schloss Zwingenberg, on the Neckar river. The castle is not far away from Amorbach.

Stefan 10-19-2019 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marengo (Post 2261948)

I believe Prince Ludwig of Baden and his wife live in Schloss Zwingenberg, on the Neckar river. The castle is not far away from Amorbach.

It is about 40 km from Amorbach. According to the Article the Soiree took place at Zwingenberg.

Tilia C. 10-19-2019 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stefan (Post 2261928)
There is an Report in the printed Issue of german magazine Bunte. The couple married in an ecumen icla Service at the Abbeychruch Amorbach. the bride wore the birdal gown of her mother from 1967 which has been refurbished for the wedding, an 200 years old veil from the Auerpserg-Breunner Family (her mother is a born Princess of Auerpserg-Breunner) and a fleur-de-lys tiara from the Baden Family.

Among the guests: Hereditary Prince Bernhard and Hereditary Princess Stephanie of Baden, Prince Michael and Princess Christina of Baden, Queen Sofia of Spain, 2 daughters of Pricne hassan of Jorda, Fürst Andreas and Fürstin Aelxandra zu Leiningen, Hereditary Prince Ferdinand and Hereditary Princess Viktoria Luise zu Leiningen, Princess Olga zu Leiningen, Duchess anna in bavaria and husband Baron Andreas of Matlzahn.

I had no idea that the Baden family had a fleur-de-lys tiara. Are the pics in the current issue, or is it an older issue?
That sounds like quite a guest list. Queen Sofia seems still to be very close to many German noble families.

Stefan 10-19-2019 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tilia C. (Post 2261957)
I had no idea that the Baden family had a fleur-de-lys tiara. Are the pics in the current issue, or is it an older issue?
That sounds like quite a guest list. Queen Sofia seems still to be very close to many German noble families.

I also had no idea about the tiara. The Report is in the Issue from this week which came out on 18.10.

Gawin 10-19-2019 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tilia C. (Post 2261957)

The bride's grandmother Princess Theodora of Greece and Queen Sofia's father King Paul were first cousins.

Eurohistory has more about the bridal couple and their families:

https://eurohistoryjournal.blogspot....e-of-duke.html

iceflower 11-22-2019 02:57 AM

Bernhard, Hereditary Prince of Baden and wife Stephanie attended the 71st Bambi Awards in Baden-Baden on November 21:

** Pic **

Blog Real 04-10-2020 03:55 PM

Grand Dukes of Baden:
1806–1811: Charles Frederick (1728–1811)
1811–1818: Charles (1786–1818)
1818–1830: Louis I (1763–1830)
1830–1852: Leopold (1790–1852)
1852–1858: Louis II (1824–1858)
1858–1907: Frederick I (1826–1907), (since 1852 Regent, since 1856 with the title Grand Duke)
1907–1918: Frederick II (1857–1928)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Duchy_of_Baden
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rulers_of_Baden

Benjamin 05-27-2020 06:27 PM

Today Bernhard of Baden marks his fiftieth birthday.

Here is a profile of the Hereditary Prince, who is the eldest son of Margrave Max and Margravine Valerie:

https://eurohistoryjournal.blogspot....ereditary.html