The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Queen Margrethe II (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f178/)
-   -   Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik's State Visit to Greece: May 24-26, 2006 (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f178/queen-margrethe-and-prince-henriks-state-visit-to-greece-may-24-26-2006-a-9069.html)

fanletizia 02-18-2006 04:16 AM

Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik's State Visit to Greece: May 24-26, 2006

Denmark's Queen Margrethe will travel to Greece May 24-26 on an official visit, the royal palace said Friday.

https://english.pravda.ru/news/world/...76117-Greece-0

H.M. Margrethe 03-07-2006 09:35 AM

Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik's State Visit to Greece; May 24th-26th, 2006

Queen Margrethe and the Prince Consort will begin a three day visit to Greece by invitation from president Karolos Papoulias.
It will take place from 24 to 26 of May.
Please post the news and pictures of this visit in this thread :)

Princejohnny25 03-09-2006 10:28 PM

Wow! A Danish State Visit to Greece. Very intresting. I wonder how they will be received. They are not the most well liked people in Greece. Glad they are on good terms though.

Margrethe II 03-09-2006 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Princejohnny25
Wow! A Danish State Visit to Greece. Very intresting. I wonder how they will be received. They are not the most well liked people in Greece. Glad they are on good terms though.

Interesting comment "PJ25"

I take it you mean because of the immediate family ties with the deposed Hellenic House of Glucksburg?

"MII"

crisiñaki 03-10-2006 12:16 AM

Quote:

I don't think the DRF isn't liked in Greece, they are like any other RF to the greeks; but what I do believe is that QMII holds a "grudge" against the greeks for what they do to her baby sister, this is I think the first state visit she does to Greece (correct me if I'm wrong:rolleyes: ) in more than 30 years of her reign so that's saying something.

And btw Anne Marie is not nearly as hated as her husband is in Greece;)

Margrethe II 03-10-2006 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crisiñaki
I don't think the DRF isn't liked in Greece, they are like any other RF to the greeks; but what I do believe is that QMII holds a "grudge" against the greeks for what they do to her baby sister, this is I think the first state visit she does to Greece (correct me if I'm wrong:rolleyes: ) in more than 30 years of her reign so that's saying something.

I agree. I don't think the Danish Royal Family aren't liked in Greece...I think that, to the Greeks, they are just a foreign royal family.

However, as for whether or not HM the Queen has an issue with the Greek state, I guess only she and her confidant(e)'s know.

As for it being the first State Visit, I myself am not sure but I do know that the invitation must come from the country that is to be visited so if infact HM the Queen has not made a State Visit to the Hellenic Republic it is because the Greek Government has not extended the invitation. No one can surmise that the Queen has an issue with Greece based purely on the fact that she has not visited the country "officially".

No doubt she has her thoughts on the abolishment of the monarchy...who doesn't? And yes, the issue was brought close to home considering it involved her family first & foremost. But, I couldn't (and wouldn't) say whether or not Margrethe has a grudge...If she did, do you think she would be going, even if after all this time? Obliged yes, but could still have turned down the invitation as a statement of support to her brother in-law and sister. It would have caused a serious diplomatic stalemate but nonetheless it could have happend.

"MII"

crisiñaki 03-10-2006 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margrethe II
I agree. I don't think the Danish Royal Family aren't liked in Greece...I think that, to the Greeks, they are just a foreign royal family.

However, as for whether or not HM the Queen has an issue with the Greek state, I guess only she and her confidant(e)'s know.

As for it being the first State Visit, I myself am not sure but I do know that the invitation must come from the country that is to be visited so if infact HM the Queen has not made a State Visit to the Hellenic Republic it is because the Greek Government has not extended the invitation. No one can surmise that the Queen has an issue with Greece based purely on the fact that she has not visited the country "officially".

No doubt she has her thoughts on the abolishment of the monarchy...who doesn't? And yes, the issue was brought close to home considering it involved her family first & foremost. But, I couldn't (and wouldn't) say whether or not Margrethe has a grudge...If she did, do you think she would be going, even if after all this time? Obliged yes, but could still have turned down the invitation as a statement of support to her brother in-law and sister. It would have caused a serious diplomatic stalemate but nonetheless it could have happend.

"MII"

I just love your posts, yo write in a very elegant way even if you don't agree with other people's opinions;)

Let's just agree to disagree ok?:) :cool:

Margrethe II 03-10-2006 03:09 AM

Quote:

I just love your posts, yo write in a very elegant way even if you don't agree with other people's opinions;)

Let's just agree to disagree ok?:) :cool:

That's very nice of you to say crisiñaki :o ...I do believe however that there are some on this very forum who strongly disagree with your kind sentiments ;) :D

Agree to disagree you ask? It would be my pleasure, my dear ;) :)

"MII"

Charlotte1 03-10-2006 03:12 AM

Quote:

"MII"

Queen Margrethe did state in an interview before she went to Greece for the Athens Olympics that she had previously refused to visit the country while her sister and brother-in-law were in dispute with the Greek government over the restitution of their properties. Eventually their case was settled in the European Courts in 2003? 2002? and they received compensation rather than the return of the properties which is what they were after. The settlement of this dispute then left the path clear for Margrethe to visit Greece as an individual ( for the Athens Olympics) rather than as a Head of State for the first time since the 1960's when she visited her sister.
This visit is quite historic as it's the first visit by the Danish Head of State since the 1960s. ( Either invitations were not issued in the past as it was known Margrethe would refuse them, or she had refused but this information was kept private)

UserDane 03-10-2006 03:16 AM

Quote:

I agree. I don't think the Danish Royal Family aren't liked in Greece...I think that, to the Greeks, they are just a foreign royal family. However, as for whether or not HM the Queen has an issue with the Greek state, I guess only she and her confidant(e)'s know.MII"

The person who held a grudge against the Greeks would in my guess probably be the late queen Ingrid. When Anne Marie and Constantine did not attend the wedding between Margrethe and Henri, it is said that Queen Ingrid hung up portraits of the Greek royals just everywhere the wedding party was to ensure that Anne Marie and Constantine 'were there'. QMII may have been influenced by her mother's view, but I agree with you that nobody can really know whether QMII has personally held a grudge against the Greek state in all these years. Somehow I would expect that she hasn't.

Margrethe II 03-10-2006 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlotte1
Queen Margrethe did state in an interview before she went to Greece for the Athens Olympics that she had previously refused to visit the country while her sister and brother-in-law were in dispute with the Greek government over the restitution of their properties. Eventually their case was settled in the European Courts in 2003? 2002? and they received compensation rather than the return of the properties which is what they were after. The settlement of this dispute then left the path clear for Margrethe to visit Greece as an individual ( for the Athens Olympics) rather than as a Head of State for the first time since the 1960's when she visited her sister.
This visit is quite historic as it's the first visit by the Danish Head of State since the 1960s. ( Either invitations were not issued in the past as it was known Margrethe would refuse them, or she had refused but this information was kept private)

Well, dear folk...here you have it ;) :)

Many thanks to Charlotte1 for providing us with this very interesting information. Are you able to provide us with the source?

re, the invitations...

Official invitations are and have always been issued ;)

Protocol, protocol, protocol... :D

"MII"

Margrethe II 03-10-2006 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UserDane
The person who held a grudge against the Greeks would in my guess probably be the late queen Ingrid. When Anne Marie and Constantine did not attend the wedding between Margrethe and Henri, it is said that Queen Ingrid hung up portraits of the Greek royals just everywhere the wedding party was to ensure that Anne Marie and Constantine 'were there'. QMII may have been influenced by her mother's view, but I agree with you that nobody can really know whether QMII has personally held a grudge against the Greek state in all these years. Somehow I would expect that she hasn't.

Interesting UserDane, and again, thanks for your contribution to discussion.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if HM the Queen Mother Ingrid did infact feel some sort of disgust for the Greek government. Understandable of course given the circumstances.
"MII"

crisiñaki 03-10-2006 03:34 AM

Quote:

I wouldn't be at all surprised if HM the Queen Mother Ingrid did infact feel some sort of disgust for the Greek government. Understandable of course given the circumstances.
"MII"

Well I think I would do the same if something like that happened to one of my children and my baby daughter to boot, no wonder why Queen Ingrid wasn't very fond of the Greek government:rolleyes: ;)

UserDane 03-10-2006 03:46 AM

Quote:

"MII"

My pleasure Margrethe II - it's an interesting discussion :)
I'm still undecided as to QMII's true feelings toward the Greek goverment. She must naturally have an stance due to her family ties, but at the same time she has a role to fulfil as well as a representative of Denmark.
The only time I wondered whether she was 'demonstrating' something was when she held the celebrations of Anne Marie's and Constantine's silver wedding. It was a quite large affair, held at Kronborg Castle -which is normally not used for this sort of celebrations and which is definitely not updated to this. It was quite remarkable - definitely celebrations for a 'king and queen' :p

Margrethe II 03-10-2006 04:01 AM

Quote:

My pleasure Margrethe II - it's an interesting discussion :) I'm still undecided as to QMII's true feelings toward the Greek goverment. She must naturally have an stance due to her family ties, but at the same time she has a role to fulfil as well as a representative of Denmark.
The only time I wondered whether she was 'demonstrating' something was when she held the celebrations of Anne Marie's and Constantine's silver wedding. It was a quite large affair, held at Kronborg Castle -which is normally not used for this sort of celebrations and which is definitely not updated to this. It was quite remarkable - definitely celebrations for a 'king and queen' :p

I agree "UD", Really...Kronborg Castle? Quite the celebration fit for a sovereign and his consort ;)
crisiñaki
Quote:

Well I think I would do the same if something like that happened to one of my children and my baby daughter to boot, no wonder why Queen Ingrid wasn't very fond of the Greek government.
Always a pleasure to read your posts crisiñaki :)
"to boot"....lol. wonderfully said!
"MII"

Larzen 03-10-2006 04:01 AM

She is travelling to Greece on the Royal Yacht is she not, and if she is to have a reception there for the greek president there, it is nothing that can prevent her from decorating the ship with pictures of her sister and brother in law in full regalia:p

I read that when Spain hosted the first greek statevisit after Sofias brother was kicked out she, who usually only wears smal tiaras for presidentail visit, took out her biggest grandest tiara she only uses for some royal state visits and her highest greek order, and quite snappishly told the President who tried to explain her something about her brother that he was speaking to the Queen of Spain now. I wish I could find a source for the story...

I do not think those vounds are copletely grown in the closest family

But can Margrethe really have denied going on a state visit to Greece for so many years, if the Danish goverment wanted a visit she would have to go would she not?

crisiñaki 03-10-2006 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larzen
She is travelling to Greece on the Royal Yacht is she not, and if she is to have a reception there for the greek president there, it is nothing that can prevent her from decorating the ship with pictures of her sister and brother in law in full regalia:p

I read that when Spain hosted the first greek statevisit after Sofias brother was kicked out she, who usually only wears smal tiaras for presidentail visit, took out her biggest grandest tiara she only uses for some royal state visits and her highest greek order, and quite snappishly told the President who tried to explain her something that he was speaking to the Queen of Spain now.

I do not think those vounds are copletely grown in the closest family

But can Margrethe really deny going on a state visit to Greece, if the Danish goverment want a visit she will have to go wont she?

The greek president who went to Spain was the same person that kicked Constantine out of the country so no wonder why Sofia snapped at him; those royals really can have revenge in the most elegant ways:cool: :D

Margrethe II 03-10-2006 04:08 AM

Quote:

The greek president who went to Spain was the same person that kicked Constantine out of the country so no wonder why Sofia snapped at him; those royals really can have revenge in the most elegant ways:cool: :D

I know...don't you just love it!!!

I bet HM would have been quite the intimidating presence..God love Sofia, heaven's knows I do!

"MII"

Jo of Palatine 03-10-2006 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larzen
But can Margrethe really have denied going on a state visit to Greece for so many years, if the Danish goverment wanted a visit she would have to go would she not?

It depends probably on the way the Royal head of state conducts his/her business with the head of the government. AFAIK, the European monarchs have managed to influence the government through their personalities even if they don't have the right to do so anymore (eg. Carl XVI. Gustaf of Sweden, wo is not even the souverain anymore - that's the people now after the last change of the constitution).

Thus, I don't think a Danish government would ask the queen to go if it is known that HM does not want to. Even if it was one of her duties and she should have to go.

Or can anyone imaging the prime minister of the Netherlands asking something of queen Beatrix when it is clear that the queen does not want to do it and does not consider it to be necessary? Queen Elizabeth surely is as well able to "freeze" such a head of "her" government if she is not amused.

Charlotte1 03-10-2006 07:25 AM

Quote:

Well, dear folk...here you have it ;) :)
Many thanks to Charlotte1 for providing us with this very interesting information. Are you able to provide us with the source?
re, the invitations...
Official invitations are and have always been issued ;)
Protocol, protocol, protocol... :D "MII"

Check the newspaper archives, ( the good ones are online) Margrethe has spoken more than once about not going to Greece. An other earlier occasion she said she wouldn't visit Greece when her sister and brother-in-law were not allowed to enter Greece. This is going back to the '70s and '80s. Anne-Marie and Constantine received special permission to go to Greece for a few hours for the funeral of Queen Frederika in 1981. For many years they were banned from entering Greece. Then they had the dispute with the Greek government over their former properties.

As far as prior invitations being issued for an official trip to Greece, feel free to post when they were issued. I think you'll find that Margrethe and Henrik visited Greece after their wedding in 1967 and have never been there since.(or were due to go and then cancelled, I'm relying on memory here!) That's why this visit is historic, it's the normalisation of relations between the Republic of Greece and the Danish monarchy.

Lasse Pedersen 03-10-2006 08:35 AM

Quote:

I think you'll find that Margrethe and Henrik visited Greece after their wedding in 1967 and have never been there since.(or were due to go and then cancelled, I'm relying on memory here!)

As far as I remember, the then newly weds cancelled and went to Turkey instead. I believe to have read so in "Margrethe".

/Lasse Pedersen

norwegianne 03-10-2006 09:21 AM

Quote:

My pleasure Margrethe II - it's an interesting discussion :)
I'm still undecided as to QMII's true feelings toward the Greek goverment. She must naturally have an stance due to her family ties, but at the same time she has a role to fulfil as well as a representative of Denmark.

Actually I think it was Queen Ingrid who was hosting that party for Anne-Marie and Constantine - as sort of a kick-back to the government for when she hadn't been allowed to invite her youngest daughter to her oldest daughter's wedding.

crisiñaki 03-10-2006 03:27 PM

Quote:

I know...don't you just love it!!!

I bet HM would have been quite the intimidating presence..God love Sofia, heaven's knows I do!

"MII"

I would have loved to be a fly on the wall in that gala:D :cool:

Princejohnny25 03-10-2006 04:11 PM

The Queen and Greece have not been on freindly terms for a while and that suprised me. There was that fuss made when she wanted to attend the olympics but that was resolved and now she is making a State Visit. Hopefully they are letting bygones be bygones. This was one of the few times when Margareth showed her real power and presence.

crisiñaki 03-10-2006 04:17 PM

Quote:

The Queen and Greece have not been on freindly terms for a while and that suprised me. There was that fuss made when she wanted to attend the olympics but that was resolved and now she is making a State Visit. Hopefully they are letting bygones be bygones. This was one of the few times when Margareth showed her real power and presence.

Well what happened with Sofia and Margrethe is called the power of the women scorned when their families are messed with, I just shake just to think of either one as an enemy:eek: :eek: :D

Margrethe II 03-10-2006 04:59 PM

Quote:

Anne-Marie and Constantine received special permission to go to Greece for a few hours for the funeral of Queen Frederika in 1981. For many years they were banned from entering Greece. Then they had the dispute with the Greek government over their former properties.

This I already know :)

I can't help but feel that you thought I was having a dig at you...I wasn't!

"MII"

UserDane 03-10-2006 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by norwegianne
Actually I think it was Queen Ingrid who was hosting that party for Anne-Marie and Constantine - as sort of a kick-back to the government for when she hadn't been allowed to invite her youngest daughter to her oldest daughter's wedding.

It may have been Ingrid who worked behind the scenes; I just seem to remember the talk about QMII giving this grand party for her little sister. QMII being the regent, I assumed that she was officially hosting it. But the celebrations may very well have been planned by both queens.

Charlotte1 03-10-2006 10:33 PM

Quote:

This I already know :)

I can't help but feel that you thought I was having a dig at you...I wasn't!

"MII"

I didn't think you were having a dig at me. I remembered more information on why Margrethe wouldn't visit Greece and so I posted it. She never made a secret of her disproval of the way the Greek government in the past had treated her sister and brother-in-law and her reluctance to visit Greece in any capacity until the situation had been resolved. Which it has now.

( Not a specifice reply to MII, just general stuff)

It wouldn't matter is the Danneborg is plastered with photos of AM and Constantine as the relations of the former Greek royals and the Republic of Greece has become quite cordial. At the time of the Athens Olympics the President of the Greek Republic invited Constantine and his family to a private visit to the Presidential Palace ( which had been their former home).

But going back to that visit to Spain by the former Greek President, Queen Sofia not only wore a grand tiara but she also made a point of wearing a Greek Order ( a royalist one) Normally she would have worn a Spanish one, and I don't think she's wore a Greek order since. She made her point at the meeting!

Margrethe II 03-10-2006 11:55 PM

Quote:

I didn't think you were having a dig at me. I remembered more information on why Margrethe wouldn't visit Greece and so I posted it. She never made a secret of her disproval of the way the Greek government in the past had treated her sister and brother-in-law and her reluctance to visit Greece in any capacity until the situation had been resolved. Which it has now.

( Not a specifice reply to MII, just general stuff)

No, I dont mean your first post of discussion but your second...still, thank you for clarifying.

"MII"

fraxales 03-23-2006 02:48 AM

Quote:

But going back to that visit to Spain by the former Greek President, Queen Sofia not only wore a grand tiara but she also made a point of wearing a Greek Order ( a royalist one) Normally she would have worn a Spanish one, and I don't think she's wore a Greek order since.

I'm sorry I'm late with this discussion and hope you don't mind my putting in my two cents' worth.

On the topic above, normally the Queen would NOT wear a Spanish order but that which has been conferred on her/her husband by her guest, and vice versa (being the protocol at any state dinner anywhere). I would be very amazed if she also chose an out-of-date order as it is not a personal occasion but a state one, and that could lead to major repercussions, diplomatically.

As for Queen Margrethe, she may well have personal feelings on Greece but I don't think she would put that above her nation's interests. What we also have to bear in mind is that the Greeks had sentiments, too. Coupled with the fact that they had been through some very unsettled times (puttint it mildly), surely it was more prudent to let the embers die down completely before putting the Queen at risk from possible protestors, or risking her presence igniting some "passions".

And as for her preferring her sons to marry foreigners, I think it's just the way things will eventually go in any country. It gives the princes (or princesses, for that matter) a chance for someone to get to know the "real them" - back in their country, it's every girl's dream and that would cloud their judgement. Mary had no idea who it was that bought her that drink in the "Slip-in" bar, so she got to know Frederick, not the crown Prince.

Hope I'm not too boring...:confused:

Lasse Pedersen 03-23-2006 04:34 AM

According to Billed-Bladet's website, HM Queen Margrethe II and HRH Henrik, Prince Consort of Denmark will travel to Greece on the royal yacht 'Dannebrog', just as they did when they went to the Olympic Games of 2004 in Athens.

Source: https://www.billedbladet.dk/default.a...ails&Item=3888

/Lasse Pedersen

Toledo 03-26-2006 10:51 AM

thanks for the Danish to English translations you and the other Danish forum members have been posting for us, Lasse. It's a great help. :)

Lasse Pedersen 03-26-2006 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toledo
thanks for the Danish to English translations you and the other Danish forum members have been posting for us, Lasse. It's a great help. :)

You are most welcome, I am glad to help!

Opal 04-03-2006 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lasse Pedersen
According to Billed-Bladet's website, HM Queen Margrethe II and HRH Henrik, Prince Consort of Denmark will travel to Greece on the royal yacht 'Dannebrog', just as they did when they went to the Olympic Games of 2004 in Athens.

Source: https://www.billedbladet.dk/default.a...ails&Item=3888

/Lasse Pedersen

Really...travelling by boat? I wonder why. This seems like a very round-about way of getting to a destination. Wouldn't it be much easier to just fly? Is it maybe so they have a convenient place to sleep and don't have to be a burden to their hosts(?) Does she use her yacht a lot to travel to official functions?
BTW, have they ever shown pics of the interior of the yacht?

grevinnan 04-03-2006 07:25 PM

Why would they not use the yacht if they have one? Travel is not only a matter of speed.

H.M. Margrethe 04-04-2006 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rchat
Really...travelling by boat? I wonder why. This seems like a very round-about way of getting to a destination. Wouldn't it be much easier to just fly? Is it maybe so they have a convenient place to sleep and don't have to be a burden to their hosts(?) Does she use her yacht a lot to travel to official functions?
BTW, have they ever shown pics of the interior of the yacht?

One of the reasons for the royal family of Denmark are useing the "Dannebro" is that they really like to sail.
Alot of us her in Denmark likes to sail because ther is water around our country...Since the beginning of the world the Danes have used the water to alot of diffrent things (fishing and washing ther clothes and of course sailing to other contryies and occupy them :( )

Sophus 04-04-2006 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H.M. Margrethe
Since the beginning of the world the Danes have used the water to alot of diffrent things (fishing and washing ther clothes and of course sailing to other contryies and occupy them :( )

That's right! he he...

Kelly 04-04-2006 02:59 PM

Besides I think it is a great opportunity to catch and snap some pictures for those that live close enough to see their arrival!

Opal 04-05-2006 05:52 PM

Yes, I forgot about the Brittania... ashame they decommissioned it. I didn't realize the Danish RF love the water so much. Then I can understand. It's probably a more comfortable way to travel - sort of "home away from home". :)
Thanks for providing the pics Margrethe II! It looks very beautiful... and cozy at the same time. Feel free to post any more pics you have.

Lasse Pedersen 04-06-2006 09:00 AM

Yes, the "Dannebrog" seems very hyggelig!
Though more related to the ship than to the state visit, I remember a documentary in which Her Majesty gave a tour of the yacht. She was talking about the room as she suddenly looked out the window and saw a battle ship of the Danish Royal Navy. Her Majesty, clapping her hands together, cried out: "LOOK! Come look", and she ran out her study and on to the deck. When on the deck, she waved 'her boys' in the navy who had lined up on deck, saluting Her Majesty, and then Her Majesty proudly said: "That is damned fine!". It was fun to see the Queen so proud and almost childishly ecstatic.

/Lasse Pedersen

Opal 04-10-2006 06:59 PM

Quote:

Yes, the "Dannebrog" seems very hyggelig!
Though more related to the ship than to the state visit, I remember a documentary in which Her Majesty gave a tour of the yacht. She was talking about the room as she suddenly looked out the window and saw a battle ship of the Danish Royal Navy. Her Majesty, clapping her hands together, cried out: "LOOK! Come look", and she ran out her study and on to the deck. When on the deck, she waved 'her boys' in the navy who had lined up on deck, saluting Her Majesty, and then Her Majesty proudly said: "That is damned fine!". It was fun to see the Queen so proud and almost childishly ecstatic.

/Lasse Pedersen

What a lovely story Lasse! Thanks for sharing it. Did she really swear in front of the camera? hehe... it's ok... she meant it in a positive way. ;)

Lasse Pedersen 04-10-2006 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rchat
What a lovely story Lasse! Thanks for sharing it. Did she really swear in front of the camera? hehe... it's ok... she meant it in a positive way. ;)

Yes, she did swear (using the Danish: 'fandeme'), and has done so in front of cameras before. I remember once when she was putting up a painting (or another work of art, I am not sure), and reporters were crowding her, so she said: "I cannot bloody concentrate with you standing so closely" (using the Danish 'sgu'). The reporters immediately backed off;) Her Majesty has actually admitted, in the book 'Margrethe', that her swearing becomes more frequent... but what can you expect from the daughter of a sailor?

Daneborn 04-12-2006 07:28 AM

It gives another dimension to the arrival when the Dannebrog is sighted and approaching.

Not just a boring jumbo jet on a windy airport and an ordinary line of limos ;)

fraxales 04-13-2006 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daneborn
It gives another dimension to the arrival when the Dannebrog is sighted and approaching.

Not just a boring jumbo jet on a windy airport and an ordinary line of limos ;)

I agree wholeheartedly!

And what a "damned" fine interior it is, too! It's so wonderful that modern technology has made the world a much smaller place - how else would we have all this (literally) at our fingertips? :p

Daneborn 04-13-2006 04:31 AM

As much as I think the blueish stripe interior is nice and sober, from what I can see on the pictures the whole furniture in all the lounge rooms are the same style. I have to say I find that a little institutional, it wouldn't harm with one room in some Laura Ashley flowerish style.

I'd like to suggest one lounge with furniture with Queen Ingrid roses in the pattern.

I really like the golden / iron bar at the stair case.

Lasse Pedersen 04-17-2006 08:04 AM

According to this press release https://www.ees.dk/5a90029 from Export Promotion Denmark, a conference called Greek-Danish Business Forum will take place in Athens from May 24 to May 26 in connection with the state visit of HM the Queen and HRH the Prince Consort of Denmark. Thus, I think we can expect to see HRH the Prince Consort participating in a lot of export promotion!

/Lasse Pedersen

Daneborn 04-18-2006 04:03 PM

Quote:

According to this press release https://www.ees.dk/5a90029 from Export Promotion Denmark, a conference called Greek-Danish Business Forum will take place in Athens from May 24 to May 26 in connection with the state visit of HM the Queen and HRH the Prince Consort of Denmark. Thus, I think we can expect to see HRH the Prince Consort participating in a lot of export promotion!

/Lasse Pedersen

Maybe he will be selling wine ;)

H.M. Margrethe 05-02-2006 12:19 PM

I will just hope for Queen Margrethe that she will take better care of her problem with her knee...I saw in an articel that she had to be drivede about 40 meters becuse of her knee..it was somthing with some paving stone if my memory is correct :confused:

Lasse Pedersen 05-18-2006 06:43 PM

Quote:

I will just hope for Queen Margrethe that she will take better care of her problem with her knee...I saw in an articel that she had to be drivede about 40 meters becuse of her knee..it was somthing with some paving stone if my memory is correct :confused:

Yes, let ud hope so. Climbing the Acropolis of Athens could be a problem for Her Majesty.

NEWS from the Royal Danish Court: The Reigning Couple will stay in Greece until May 29. Thus, The Queen and The Prince Consort will visit Greece privately as well.

/Lasse Pedersen

fanletizia 05-24-2006 05:00 AM

6 Attachment(s)
Greek President Carolos Papoulias (R) and Queen of Denmark Margarethe II (C) inspect the Greek Presidential guard during the official welcome ceremony in Athens 24 May 2006. The Danish royal couple arrived in Greece for a three-day official state visit

from getty

fraxales 05-24-2006 09:35 AM

Well, doesn't she make a pretty picture? If that's the presidential couple with them on the red carpet, then they must be the most sullen-looking folk. They look like they've missed their lunch and are not happy about it...:rolleyes:

fanletizia 05-24-2006 10:11 AM

6 Attachment(s)
Queen Margrethe, right, and Greek Culture Minister Giorgos Voulgarakis speak during a lunch at the Ileana Tounta Art Gallery in Athens on Wednesday, May 24, 2006.

Queen Margrethe, right, and Prince Henrik, left, listen to Katerina Gregos Curator of Danish Exhibition at the Ileana Tounta Art Gallery in Athens, Wednesday, May 24, 2006

and images of other activities

from polfoto

fanletizia 05-24-2006 10:20 AM

6 Attachment(s)
More images from getty

bbb 05-24-2006 10:38 AM

QM looks lovely, such a pretty color blue - love the hat

didem 05-24-2006 10:42 AM

State visit very important for Danish Royal Family and Greek Government

fanletizia 05-24-2006 11:41 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Queen Margrethe II (C) and her husband prince Henrik (L) talk with Greek President Carolos Papoulias (R) during their meeting at the Presidential Mansion in Athens, Wednesday 24 May 2006

from anp

Juanita 05-24-2006 01:23 PM

https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...1&d=1148480414

I really love this picture of Queen Margrethe! It's soooo "Your Majesty!" :p

Zonk 05-24-2006 08:51 PM

I wonder how King Constatine feels about this trip? Do we have any Greek members who can report on the publicity and the reception of the Greek hosts for Her Majesty and HRH?

And I love the blue..she looks great!

fraxales 05-25-2006 03:18 AM

Aaaaaaaaaargh! :mad:

I know it's a pretty "restrained" (or just plain strained) visit, esp. as far as the Greek media is concerned, but WHY ARE THERE NO BANQUET PICS, yet???? Been looking everywhere...:(

wartenberg7 05-25-2006 04:09 AM

Despite the pretty photographs it is still a horrible appeal to me that
the royal couple is received by a republican president, instead of their
sister and brother-in-law!

Margrethe II 05-25-2006 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wartenberg7
Despite the pretty photographs it is still a horrible appeal to me that
the royal couple is received by a republican president, instead of their
sister and brother-in-law!

Such is the world of political change.

Perhaps the media were not allowed at the Banquet, who knows...only time shall tell.

Apparently HM the Queen wore the Baden Palmette Tiara, as seen below.

Source: Getty Images
https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a81...9/e1d66ca4.jpg

"MII"

mandyy 05-25-2006 05:02 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Queen of Denmark Margrethe observes a statue inside the Danish institute in Athens May 25, 2006.

#1-2: Polfoto
#3: Getty images

Sophus 05-25-2006 05:18 AM

Such an elegant lady - BUT: what is it about her teeth?... Can't she see how ugly and unappetizing they are?

princess olga 05-25-2006 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zonk1189
I wonder how King Constatine feels about this trip? Do we have any Greek members who can report on the publicity and the reception of the Greek hosts for Her Majesty and HRH?

And I love the blue..she looks great!

Was just thinking the same!! Looking at these wonderful pictures, I have to wonder what, privately, Margarethe is thinking of this visit: after all, her own sister used to be Queen of Greece! Ana Marie was in fact the last quee Greece ever had, and was of course unceremoniously kicked out with her spouse Constantine in the late sixties..

Sure that's a long time ago, but still..wonder how, privately, this visit was discussed with Constantine. But otoh, didn't Constantine's sister, Sophia queen of Spain, also officially visit Greece awhile back with king JC?

princess olga 05-25-2006 05:39 AM

Quote:

Such is the world of political change.

Perhaps the media were not allowed at the Banquet, who knows...only time shall tell.

Apparently HM the Queen wore the Baden Palmette Tiara, as seen below.

Source: Getty Images
https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a81...9/e1d66ca4.jpg

"MII"

Wow she looks just incredible! And the tiara, never seen it before, it looks like it's straight out of a fairy tale!

And as for her teeth...what I like about Margarethe is that she seems to be a "what you see is what you get" kindof woman. she is what and who she is and is unapologetic about it. Unlike some queens who are rumored to have had a nip and tuck here and there, Margarethe is accepting her age and seems not afraid to grow old naturally (pretty brave if you have to do that while being in the public eye).

Sophus 05-25-2006 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by princess olga
Wow she looks just incredible! And the tiara, never seen it before, it looks like it's straight out of a fairy tale!

And as for her teeth...what I like about Margarethe is that she seems to be a "what you see is what you get" kindof woman. she is what and who she is and is unapologetic about it. Unlike some queens who are rumored to have had a nip and tuck here and there, Margarethe is accepting her age and seems not afraid to grow old naturally (pretty brave if you have to do that while being in the public eye).

Well - I don't think accepting one's age and not remember to brush one's teeth is the same thing...

To me Her majesty is every inch an elegant, dignified and lovely woman and I'm very proud to be her subject. But - I think it's a shame that her teeth gets all the attention from her other qualities... That's all!

fanletizia 05-25-2006 08:25 AM

8 Attachment(s)
Queen Margrethe II, right, speaks with Greek Prime Minister Costas Caramanlis on Wednesday, May 25, 2006
and other images

from polfoto and anp

iannis 05-25-2006 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fanletizia
Greek President Carolos Papoulias (R) and Queen of Denmark Margarethe II (C) inspect the Greek Presidential guard during the official welcome ceremony in Athens 24 May 2006. The Danish royal couple arrived in Greece for a three-day official state visit

from getty

Light blue clothes for the visit to Greece? Oh, Your Majesty ;)!!

Margrethe II 05-25-2006 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by princess olga

I hope I have not misinformed you princess olga.

The above photohgraph is not from the Greek State Visit but from one of the Norwegian Royal Weddings, I believe. The aim of the photograph was to show the Baden Palmette Tiara for those who had not seen it before.

Unfortunately, still no pictures from the State Banquet :(

"MII"

norwegianne 05-25-2006 10:19 AM

Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik were originally scheduled to have an extended private visit to Greece, after the official state-visit. But:
Quote:

Margrethe is leaving early because of her knee.

The Queen's visit to Greece interrupted because of knee surgery.

Queen Margrethe is going home after the official visit to Greece, for surgery on her left knee.

"I am going home to get a new knee. It's about time that I'll get it fixed," said the Queen at a press conference.

"It also means that I'll cut drastically down on my duties iin June, and transfer them to Crown Prince Frederik and the Prince Consort."

The surgery will take place at Århus Municipal hospital, but it was not known on Thursday if the Queen will go directly from Greece to the hospital.

The official programme for the visit ends Friday, and after that, it was intended that the Queen and Prince Henrik were going to vacation together for a few days, at the royal yacht, Dannebrog. The Prince will do that alone, now.

"It would have been lovely, if we could have sailed together for five or six days," said Prince Henrik
From Politiken.dk, translated by me.

H.M. Margrethe 05-25-2006 10:49 AM

Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik were originally scheduled to have an extended private visit to Greece, after the official state-visit. But:
Quote:
Margrethe is leaving early because of her knee.

The Queen's visit to Greece interrupted because of knee surgery.

Queen Margrethe is going home after the official visit to Greece, for surgery on her left knee.

"I am going home to get a new knee. It's about time that I'll get it fixed," said the Queen at a press conference.

"It also means that I'll cut drastically down on my duties iin June, and transfer them to Crown Prince Frederik and the Prince Consort."

The surgery will take place at Århus Municipal hospital, but it was not known on Thursday if the Queen will go directly from Greece to the hospital.

The official programme for the visit ends Friday, and after that, it was intended that the Queen and Prince Henrik were going to vacation together for a few days, at the royal yacht, Dannebrog. The Prince will do that alone, now.

"It would have been lovely, if we could have sailed together for five or six days," said Prince Henrik

From Politiken.dk, translated by me.

17. May - Norway's National Day. 2006-thread

Oh no my depest fear has come to be a reality....My queen are going to
be in surgery with her knee.. Thankfully it will bee taken care of the best doktor in Aarhus.

Australian 05-25-2006 10:49 AM

Thanks for that norwegianne, i hope her knee feels better soon. One of the worst things is to be in pain or sick while in a foreign country.

fanletizia 05-25-2006 11:32 AM

10 Attachment(s)
Athens, GREECE: Queen Margrethe II and Prince Consort Henrik of Denmark (L) give a press conference on the Danish Royal yacht Dannebrog 25 May 2006, in Athens.

from getty

Kelly 05-25-2006 12:18 PM

Wow! Thanks for those pictures. Queen Margarethe looks great for her age.

Juanita 05-25-2006 02:11 PM

The photos are beautiful!! But i hate that watermarks!! :mad:
Thanks, fanletizia! ;)

Her_Majesty 05-25-2006 02:25 PM

Great pictures! :)
The Queen looks fantastic!

Did the Queen recycle her Gala dress? It looked so well-known to me. :confused:

sara1981 05-25-2006 02:26 PM

im hope she will getting ready for surgery of her knee oh wow who will with her side CP Fred and Prince Joachim? and husband also

bbb 05-25-2006 02:28 PM

The official programme for the visit ends Friday, and after that, it was intended that the Queen and Prince Henrik were going to vacation together for a few days, at the royal yacht, Dannebrog. The Prince will do that alone,

does this mean he's not going to be with her for her surgery!!!!!

fraxales 05-25-2006 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sara1981
im hope she will getting ready for surgery of her knee oh wow who will with her side CP Fred and Prince Joachim? and husband also

Well, if post no. 44 is to be believed her husband would prefer to sail, rather than be by her side. Not that I blame him...sailing around the Greek isles in THAT yacht...I'd ditch anybody! :rolleyes: I'm sure he has confidence in the surgeons back home.

princess gertrude 05-25-2006 08:29 PM

I have always admired the Queen's - "like me as I am" type of attitude. That is inner strength and I think that she has that in an abundance. I absolutle love the way she has grace and can still laugh at the same time. I hate to say this but Mary has "HUGE" shoes to fill and still many things that she can learn from her mother-in-law.

redfox6 05-25-2006 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sophus
Well - I don't think accepting one's age and not remember to brush one's teeth is the same thing...

To me Her majesty is every inch an elegant, dignified and lovely woman and I'm very proud to be her subject. But - I think it's a shame that her teeth gets all the attention from her other qualities... That's all!

She is a lovely woman, but I think she smokes and it discolors her teeth. Too bad. She is gracious and striking. As far as not being greeted by her brother-inlaw, etc, Greece is a Republic, the Greek people have chosen to have this form of government and it is certainly not anyone else place to criticize that.

Margrethe II 05-25-2006 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by princess gertrude
I hate to say this but Mary has "HUGE" shoes to fill and still many things that she can learn from her mother-in-law.

Mary will not be Monarch...Frederik has many things to learn from his mother in that respect, not the Crown Princess. Mary shall be Frederik's respective consort, and yes, Mary would no doubt be taking notice of how Margrethe handles herself, but as for saying that Mary has big shoes to fill... that's for Frederik :)

If you had have said Queen Ingrid, well then, that's a different story!

"MII"

crisiñaki 05-25-2006 09:17 PM

https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...4&d=1148571361

I got blinded with that bling-bling:D
what a ring, wow!:eek::D:D

mandyy 05-25-2006 10:02 PM

3 Attachment(s)
From Polfoto

mandyy 05-26-2006 01:21 AM

From HELLO
Denmark's Queen Margrethe sailed into Athens' Faliron Marina in royal splendour this week. Travelling in a manner fitting her status, Margrethe arrived in Greece on the royal yacht Dannebrog for a three-day state visit............
https://www.hellomagazine.com/travel/.../danishroyals/

fanletizia 05-26-2006 10:47 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Queen Margrethe visits Thessalonikis Byzantinske Museum

from polfoto

Her_Majesty 05-26-2006 02:01 PM

Quote:

https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...4&d=1148571361

I got blinded with that bling-bling:D
what a ring, wow!:eek::D:D

I think it's her engagement ring. if not, her engagement ring is very similar.
IT'S A HUGE THING! :D :eek:

fanletizia 05-26-2006 03:50 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Queen Margrethe II of Denmark admires a golden wreath and case during her visit to the royal grave of Fillippos, ancient King of Macedonia, and the museum of Vergina, north of Thessaloniki 26 May 2006.

from getty

H.M. Margrethe 05-26-2006 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbb
The official programme for the visit ends Friday, and after that, it was intended that the Queen and Prince Henrik were going to vacation together for a few days, at the royal yacht, Dannebrog. The Prince will do that alone,

does this mean he's not going to be with her for her surgery!!!!!

Yes it is tru that he won´t be ther when Queen Margrethe are in surgery...but what in the world is he going to do in the surgeryroom :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I think that he and Queen Margrethe had a long talk about it and they have come to the conclusion that ther was no reason for him to be at the hospital while she was in surgery....I think that he as a man woud be more worried if he was at the hospital.
My prayers are with my Queen and her family :( :(

fromEU 05-26-2006 05:33 PM

Quote:

Yes it is tru that he won´t be ther when Queen Margrethe are in surgery...but what in the world is he going to do in the surgeryroom :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I think that he and Queen Margrethe had a long talk about it and they have come to the conclusion that ther was no reason for him to be at the hospital while she was in surgery....I think that he as a man woud be more worried if he was at the hospital.
My prayers are with my Queen and her family :( :(

It just shows that it is not as serious as the press makes it out to be IMO. Just a operation. Nothing life threathning:)

norwegianne 05-27-2006 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fromEU
It just shows that it is not as serious as the press makes it out to be IMO. Just a operation. Nothing life threathning:)

It's knee surgery. Had it been something more serious, Henrik would proabably be there by her side.

grevinnan 05-27-2006 10:38 AM

There is pre-op to be done - he may very likely be back for the actual surgery.

Thomas Parkman 05-27-2006 11:42 AM

Well, good people, I think Margarethe, being the noblewoman she is simply told Henrik not to worry and go on his vacation without her. However any surgery is serious. Further a knee operation can be very serious indeed. My favorite aunt died as a result of a blood clot from such a surgery. I do not wish to frighten anybody and no doubt she will come through it just fine, but it is not a trivial affair.

As for the wreath and vase, they are the crown and funeral urn which contained the ashes of Philip II of Macedon, the Father of Alexander the III, the Great of Macedon. (Oh my goodness, was he the second or was he the third??) my poor brain is not working today. The discovery of Philip's tomb was a major acrcheological triumph. The items in question are obviously of solid gold, no less. Cheers. Thomas Parkman

alejandro_sk 05-28-2006 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas Parkman
Well, good people, I think Margarethe, being the noblewoman she is simply told Henrik not to worry and go on his vacation without her. ... Cheers. Thomas Parkman

It must be loads of fun for Henri to be vacationing while his wife is in hospital, musn't it? In his place, I'd be 'delighted' :cool: .
Cheers!
Alejandro

H.M. Margrethe 05-28-2006 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alejandro_sk
It must be loads of fun for Henri to be vacationing while his wife is in hospital, musn't it? In his place, I'd be 'delighted' :cool: .
Cheers!
Alejandro

I don´t think so...i think that he rather woud be with his wife on a holliday as they had planede.

Opal 05-29-2006 08:25 PM

So it sounds like maybe she's having knee replacement surgery. My mom just had hip replacement surgery and it has done wonders for her. She has no more pain! I wish Queen Margrethe all the best with her surgery.

Larzen 06-05-2006 03:11 PM

from e-billedbladet

https://img109.imagevenue.com/loc140/...ueColor_02.jpg https://img16.imagevenue.com/loc247/t...ueColor_01.jpg https://img101.imagevenue.com/loc164/...ueColor_05.jpg https://img11.imagevenue.com/loc243/th_34386_dsdfdsf.jpg https://img24.imagevenue.com/loc127/th_34393_sdasasd.jpg https://img12.imagevenue.com/loc124/t...ueColor_03.jpg https://img19.imagevenue.com/loc82/th...ueColor_04.jpg

Juanita 06-05-2006 04:12 PM

Thank you sooo much, Larzen!! ;):)
The photos are great!

Lasse Pedersen 06-06-2006 02:32 PM

Speeches at the state banquet om May 24 2006, part I

I hereby give you the speech given by the President of the Hellenic Republic at the state banquet at Athens on May 24. The President's speech was held in English and is simply pasted from the website of the Greek presidency.
/Lasse Pedersen

Speech given by HE Karolos Papoulias, President of the Hellenic Republic, at the state banquet in the Presidential Mansion at Athens, May 24 2006, in honour of HM Margrethe II, Queen of Denmark, and HRH The Prince Consort

Your Majesty, Your Royal Highness,

It is with great pleasure that we welcome you to Greece which has strong historic bonds of friendship with Denmark. We both wish to strengthen these bonds and this is one of the reasons why your state visit here is very important.

I should first of all like to underline Denmark’s active international policy. You are a leader in world development and humanitarian aid; you are involved in the U.N. peacekeeping efforts and in helping to bring about stability around the world, thus setting an example for many countries.

Let me also point out the effectiveness and the transparency of your public sector which is one of the best in the world as well as your exemplary welfare state. You can be really proud of these achievements.

The cooperation between Greece and Denmark is creative and has become stronger in recent years at a bilateral as well as at a multilateral level within our European family and at the UN Security Council.

I am aware of your country’s scepticism about the course of European integration which is the reason you do not participate in the euro zone and in the common defence policy. We respect these decisions of the Danish people which give food for thought in relation to certain policies.

The peoples of Greece and Denmark share some concerns and problems about the future of the European Union which is at a crossroads. Our common objectives are growth, dealing with unemployment and a Europe which focuses on its citizens and on the principle of humanitarianism which has been the cornerstone of European thinking since the Enlightenment.

Today we are called upon to choose between either the road of political integration and strengthening of the Union which will lead to the emancipation of its foreign policy or that of becoming a union of free markets with a strong economic presence but without an autonomous political presence.

The recent enlargement, which was a historic and moral necessity and the ones which will follow, increase the feeling of insecurity of European citizens about a Europe which is growing in size but lacks the necessary depth. We believe that the European Union should keep its promises to the accession countries without offsets and without compromising its principles. The candidate countries should, of course, also fulfil the Union’s criteria.

In relation to Turkey, we support its European course but this does not mean that we consider it a historic necessity. Greece believes that the accession of Turkey to the European Union should be the outcome of their consistent and desirable adaptation to European principles and values.

Greece strives for good neighbourly relations between the two countries, of obvious benefit to our peoples. But good neighbourly relations cannot be just words or a declaration of intent; they should be put into practice.

At this point I want to underline that yesterday’s tragic and politically serious event over the Aegean clearly shows that the Turkish government should respect both the letter and the spirit of international law and of international conventions and realize that their unacceptable behaviour, such as yesterday’s unclear missions, jeopardizes stability in a sensitive area.

At this difficult time, I want to express my sympathy to the family of Flight-Lieutenant Costas Eliakis.

We note that the UN Secretary General’s Special Envoy to Cyprus, who is now a Dane, Mr. Mikael Moller, is currently preparing a new initiative for a solution to the Cyprus issue. We believe that this is the right time for a courageous effort to deal with an anachronism of which the international community and especially our Union cannot be proud. The issue of Cyprus is a European problem and must be resolved on the basis of European principles. The continuation of the division as well as any other counter-european solution go against Europe’s democratic character and are a blow to its deeper values.

I am certain that your visit to Greece will open new horizons in the cooperation between our two countries. The “Greek-Danish Business Conference” organized on the occasion of your visit marks a stronger economic and business cooperation. The activity of the Danish Institute in Athens and the work of the Modern Greek Studies Department of the University of Copenhagen help promote cultural relations between two peoples bound by friendship and mutual respect.

Let me express my joy on your visit to Greece and raise my glass to wish you health and personal happiness and progress and prosperity to the people of Denmark.

Source: https://www.presidency.gr/en/omil_content.asp?rid=685

Lasse Pedersen 06-06-2006 02:36 PM

Speeches at the state banquet om May 24 2006, part II

And here you have the speech of HM Queen Margrethe II of Denmark. Since it was held in Danish, I have translated it into English. I hope that you will find my translation useful. As always, it is important for me to stress that this translation has been neither authorised nor even seen by a member of the Royal Danish Court.
/Lasse Pedersen

Speech given by HM The Queen at the state banquet in the Presidential Mansion at Athens on May 24 2006

Mr. President, Mrs. Papoulias.
It is with great joy that The Prince Consort and I begin out state visit to Greece today, and we thank you, Mr. President, for your beautiful words to us and to our country, and for the welcome which has fallen into our share. It emphasises the good and close relations between our two countries.

Scarcely two years ago, The Prince Consort and I visited Athens whilst Greece hosted the Olympic Games; an event which athletes as well as spectators will remember with enthusiasm, not only for the athletic achievements, but equally for the successful hosting of the event.

Denmark and Greece are very different countries in character and position, but they also, in their situations, have similarities which further the mutual sympathy and understanding. Both are smaller countries at the fringes of the European continent, and both countries have a geography that orientates them towards the sea, which makes it natural for us to see ourselves as merchant and seafaring nations. Those are features which have characterised our countries and peoples from antiquity.

For the traveller who is granted the privilege to arrive at Athens by boat, that is an unforgettable experience. The blue, blue Mediterranean, the rugged shores where each island and each foreland tells of the country’s history from ancient as well as modern times, the bay of Piraeus – and there, high above the plain and mist of the modern city, you see a golden chest: The Acropolis; “as a gigantic throne above all the wee houses”, as the poet Hans Christian Andersen put it in 1841.

For all of western civilization, Ancient Greece is part of the foundation. Ever since this connection came to the attention of the people of the Renaissance, the thoughts and styles of antiquity have stamped our lives; we have, so to say, grown up surrounded by the antiquity’s architectural orders and its philosophical terms, even when we are barely conscious hereof. Early in the 19th century, the ancient ideals of freedom and the ideas of the democratic city-state found further nourishment in the Greek Liberation War: Greece was on everybody’s lips; Danish artists now went to Greece, painters and poets described the country, and Danish architects and classical researchers sought to personally familiarise themselves with the places of the ancient culture.

Doubtlessly, they experienced a very different Greece than her whom we meet today; but one thing has not changed and seems as breathtaking on any Dane, now as then: the light. We Scandinavians who come from the many gray days and the low sun, picture to ourselves the South in a warm and golden light; but here, we see something new: Here, the light is white, white and blue like the Greek flag. For a Dane, there is, at the same time, something strangely familiar about the light above the islands or above Attica, for here as at home, the sea is always near; it is both at our feet and right behind the mountain, and borrows its blue glimmer to the shadows, as we know it from our own, sea-encircled land.

One of the Danish writers who let themselves be fascinated by Greece, was Hans Christian Andersen whose fairy tales and stories are known and loved in Greece; this was clearly seen in the vast markings of the bicentenary of his birth, also in this country. Both in his journals and in his great travel book from 1842, ”A Poet’s Bazaar”, he has vividly described his stay at Athens. Even at that time, the traffic made quite an impression: ”… the driving Greeks stand up in the old carriages and go by as were it a horserace”, and, as he writes elsewhere, ”it raised the dust horribly, but after all, it was classical dust”!

Some of the Danish architects of his age put their mark on Greece. I am thinking of Christian Hansen who stayed here for eighteen years, and his brother Theophilus Hansen. The works of them both still stamp the image of central Athens: the university, the academy and the national observatory are merely examples. Christian Hansen also got to leave his stamp on his own city as he, after returning in the middle of the 19th century, was the head of several, characteristic buildings in Copenhagen, now inspired by the Byzantine style he had gotten to know in Greece.

Thus, many contacts between Denmark and Greece had already been made when the Greek national assembly in 1863 made yet another connection by electing my great-grandfather’s brother as king as Georg I. The connections between our countries steadily developed, but not least in the course of the last fifty years, we have seen an almost explosive growth in the communication among our countries. It was not only my own, family related connections which were strengthened, and amongst other experiences led to me also getting familiar with the country; but the communication has reached a hitherto unseen width. Greece has become one of the Danes’ preferred travel destinations and welcomes more than 300,000 Danish tourists each year. Neither scientists nor artists hold themselves back, for Greece has in all time been an attractive destination for research and inspiration. It was therefore gratifying that Denmark could found the Danish Institute at Athens in 1992; here, close bonds are formed between Danes and Greeks in a fruitful collaboration. Also financial and commercial progress prevails, and it is my hope that the discussions between Danish and Greek executives arranged in connection with this state visit will inspire to new initiatives to the benefit of both our countries.

Internationally, there has been, for a long time, a close and frictionless relationship between Greece and Denmark. This also has its effect on the broader, international cooperation within the parameters of the United Nations, where our two countries are both, at the moment, elected as members of the Security Council, and in NATO. Not least, it makes itself felt within the European Union. Fundamentally, the viability of the progress obtained through international collaboration, depends on whether the creation and maintaining of a feeling of mutual understanding and solidarity is successful. In this perspective as well, there is reason to be delighted at the ties that have been formed throughout centuries between Greece and Denmark, and at the many new connections that have been created in recent years.

Mr. President,
as a politician, you have through your entire life been committed to the struggle for freedom and democracy. You have taken part in decisions which have been crucial for the welfare of your country. By virtue of your prestigious office, you are still contributing to the promotion of respect for your country, for her people and her both old and living culture.

Wishing for continuous happiness and prosperity for Greece and the Greek people, I raise my glass in order to, with The Prince Consort, propose a toast to the President of the Hellenic Republic and Mrs. Papoulias.

Source (in Danish): https://kongehuset.dk/artikel.php?id=77594&dogtag=k_dk_aktuelt_presse