The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   The Royal Family of Greece (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f77/)
-   -   The Monarchy in Greece (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f77/the-monarchy-in-greece-834.html)

roimat 07-08-2010 07:07 PM

Well, let's face the reality. I'm a royalist. But Greece has many many other and more important problems at this time to solve. Restoration is out or the question. Not because i wouldn't like to see Greece again as a Kingdom, but because we've lost valuable time since 1974. The King is already 70 years old, an Crown Prince Pavlos doesn't seem to care about his title more than the Fashion. We only want to be able to see the Greek Royal Family to be treated as all the Royal Families, reigning or not. Respectfully and politely, as a part of Greek History. Not in the way they treat them till now the Greek politicians...

Kastalia 07-09-2010 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roimat (Post 1108602)
But Greece has many many other and more important problems at this time to solve. Restoration is out or the question
-Not in the way they treat them till now the Greek politicians...

That's what i'm talking about.Finally.
Nobody said that they're not part of Greece's History.And it's not only the Greek politicians that treat them disrespectfully but also the press.

Vlaha Karatsokaros 07-10-2010 06:25 PM

I would fully agree that King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie are part of Greece's history and only a fanatic would defy that. History cannot be wiped off whether we like it or not.
Thus, I feel that they should be treated exactly like former Presidents of the Republic and they deserve to be receiving pensions like former presidents BUT all that only under condition that they accept the Constitution, adopt a surname of their choice and become Greek Nationals.

Cory 07-10-2010 06:33 PM

In Romania King Mihai I was given a Palace in Bucharest to live and receives a pension.
I don't understant the anger against King Konstantinos of some politicians.

Kastalia 07-10-2010 07:25 PM

^ In this case Greek people should pay taxes in order to maintain the Palace and its condition.And to pay the household of course.I can't imagine Constantine and Anna Maria living by themselves in it.Plus,the Palace they used to live is a Presidential residence today (in Athens).The whole thing with them concerns financial issues.It is the way Greeks handled this case Cory you have to understand and accept it.I have never though of the perspective of giving them pension though,you both made a very interesting point here.I guess their 4 million compensation gave an end to all speculations about what could have happened,but it would make sence if they were given pension.

Cory 07-10-2010 07:29 PM

I know there are greeks who still hope for the return of the Monarchy.A tiny minority?Even before the return on the Throne of George II in 1935 bobody would have said Monarchy will come back.

Kastalia 07-10-2010 07:41 PM

Yes of course,there is a minority (not that tiny but small) of hardcore monarchists and i'm not against that of course.That's the beauty of dialogue you have to listen everyone.It wasn't Constantine's fault 100% what happened,it is just the way things worked in Greece then.Difficult political circumstances and the one brought the other.I always say that Anna Maria and Marie Chantal deserved a better luck.The one came here very young ready to rule,and the other is blammed of her denial to be more ''Greek'' when Greeks don't want them.

Cory 07-10-2010 07:57 PM

How many greeks are in favour of Monarchy?10%?20%?

Vlaha Karatsokaros 07-10-2010 09:23 PM

Anne-Marie was truly unlucky and it is a shame because the Greeks liked her and, I believe, no one holds any grudges against her. In fact, many people are still very sympathetic with her. Insofar as the wife of prince Paul is concerned, she is not blamed for anything. She is just of no interest to the Greeks nor is her husband.

Cory 07-11-2010 06:29 AM

I suppose greeks like more prince Nikolaos than Prince Pavlos anyway.

Kastalia 07-11-2010 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vlaha Karatsokaros (Post 1109553)
Anne-Marie was truly unlucky and it is a shame because the Greeks liked her and, I believe, no one holds any grudges against her. In fact, many people are still very sympathetic with her. Insofar as the wife of prince Paul is concerned, she is not blamed for anything. She is just of no interest to the Greeks nor is her husband.

I fully agree with everything.As for MC i've heard people wondering about her and her kids if they speak Greek,why she gives only Greek names to her kids and what she wants to prove with that since she doesn't speak the language and she doesn't live here (i know the reason,but i'm just mentioning).I've heard people blamming her indirectly and i think it's unfair.
Cory i don't know the exact percentage but 10-20% is way to much,i think it's less.

Cory 07-11-2010 07:06 AM

When there was the referendum I suppose Monarchy got more than 30 %.

Kastalia 07-11-2010 07:21 AM

Maybe,but i have to search for that in order to tell you.I was born in 1985 and all i know if from books and old papers.

Cory 07-11-2010 07:24 AM

Last century Greece changes different times between Monarchy and Republic.The same can happen even in this century.

snowflower 07-11-2010 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cory (Post 1109686)
When there was the referendum I suppose Monarchy got more than 30 %.

According to the greek version of Wikipedia, 69,18% of those who went to vote , voted in favour of the Uncrowned Democracy and 30,82% in favour of the Crowned Democracy. Out of the whole number of registered voters , 75,51% went to vote.

Cory 07-11-2010 11:46 AM

If there were more than 30% at the referendum even today there must be at least 20%.

Cory 08-26-2010 03:44 PM

Which are the feelings of the greeks towards Monarchy and Royal Family after the wedding of Prince Nikolaos?

avgi 08-26-2010 05:06 PM

The referendum was 36 years ago, and the last time there was a de facto king in Greece was in 1967. People under 43 weren't even born then. That's an awful lot of voters for whom monarchy is just irrelevant. And many of the older people who were old enough back in the 60's to remember ... well, in my experience & judging from my own parents & their friends (moderate monarchists back then), they just don't trust the royal family to put the country's good ahead of their own.

Vlaha Karatsokaros 08-26-2010 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cory (Post 1129579)
Which are the feelings of the greeks towards Monarchy and Royal Family after the wedding of Prince Nikolaos?

Since you know, based on your quantitative guess above, even the percentages, why are you asking?

Quote:

Originally Posted by avgi (Post 1129618)
The referendum was 36 years ago, and the last time there was a de facto king in Greece was in 1967. People under 43 weren't even born then. That's an awful lot of voters for whom monarchy is just irrelevant. And many of the older people who were old enough back in the 60's to remember ... well, in my experience & judging from my own parents & their friends (moderate monarchists back then), they just don't trust the royal family to put the country's good ahead of their own.

Your remarks are logical. It is guesstimated that about 10% of the people are still favotable toward the monarchy. Some people are still tied to the past. This is the reason that explains that Greece is the the only European country that has a Stalinist Communist Party amounting to some 7-8% of the popular vote.
So, based on this premise alone, one should expect another 10%+ to be in favor of the monarchy, for reasons of intra-family tradition alone.

Cory 08-27-2010 09:43 AM

I noticed the enthusiam toward the royal wedding and the respect paid by the orthodox clergy and by the people to King Konstantinos IInd the Royal Family.