The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997) (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f38/)
-   -   Reasons for disliking Diana? (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f38/reasons-for-disliking-diana-8116.html)

MARG 09-20-2006 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine
I don't like the Diana TV-interview where she presented herself as the victim of Charles and Camilla. So many people have told since that Diana was an awfully good actress if she wanted to and I believe this interview was an act.

I particularly liked the judicious application of dark eye-shadow, eyeliner and mascara to achieve that "Haunted" look. Must have had lessons from the stage.
Quote:

While I have never had the impression that Charles was a good actor at all - when he told in his TV-interview that he has an affair, ye, but only after the marriage was already broken down inevitably, I believed him. It seems believable for me - to split up with a former love on marrying, but staying friends, then finding understanding with her when the marriage got into into a crisis and finally, when the marriage broke down, a return to the old love. Happens all the time. For me this is much more believable than the claims of a spoiled princess that her marriage broke down because of somebody else's bad machinations instead of searching for reasons at herself.
I agree wholeheartedly. Whether we like it or not life is largely what we make it. And, as the saying goes, "life happens!"
Quote:

What Diana said is the the stuff you read in trashy love novels, but I found life works differently. There is no such thing as an innocent heroine, there is good and bad in anyone, anyone makes mistakes which lead sometimes to a terrible end.
Her gushing heartfelt declarations that she loved her children above all else also rang false. You do not make history by being the first royal to send your child to public school, out into the bustle of (almost) real life and then, within weeks, publicly shame him in the eyes of his peers just to land the winning blow on Prime Time International television!

People who use their children as weapons in both marriage and divorce are despicable. Her two sons lives must have been a living nightmare waiting for the 'next salacious installment' of her never-ending public hate campaign against their father. (And teenage boys are not noted for their subtlety).

That Princes William and Harry have turned out as normal or dysfunctional as any other Brit, is a credit to both them and to their extended family.

Little_star 09-20-2006 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine
I don't like the Diana TV-interview where she presented herself as the victim of Charles and Camilla. So many people have told since that Diana was an awfully good actress if she wanted to and I believe this interview was an act.

While I have never had the impression that Charles was a good actor at all - when he told in his TV-interview that he has an affair, ye, but only after the marriage was already broken down inevitably, I believed him. It seems believable for me - to split up with a former love on marrying, but staying friends, then finding understanding with her when the marriage got into into a crisis and finally, when the marriage broke down, a return to the old love. Happens all the time. For me this is much more believable than the claims of a spoiled princess that her marriage broke down because of somebody else's bad machinations instead of searching for reasons at herself.

What Diana said is the the stuff you read in trashy love novels, but I found life works differently. There is no such thing as an innocent heroine, there is good and bad in anyone, anyone makes mistakes which lead sometimes to a terrible end. So for me Diana was acting the victim and that's the reason I don't like her as much as I did in the beginning.

You're entitled to believe what you want, it doesn't make it true though.

Little_star 09-20-2006 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARG
I particularly liked the judicious application of dark eye-shadow, eyeliner and mascara to achieve that "Haunted" look. Must have had lessons from the stage.

I guess I must have had make-up lessons as well then, being a big fan of the smoky eyed look.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARG
I agree wholeheartedly. Whether we like it or not life is largely what we make it. And, as the saying goes, "life happens!"

I think your husband having an affair is more than just a simple case of "Life happens".

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARG
Her gushing heartfelt declarations that she loved her children above all else also rang false. You do not make history by being the first royal to send your child to public school, out into the bustle of (almost) real life and then, within weeks, publicly shame him in the eyes of his peers just to land the winning blow on Prime Time International television!

I think it's one thing to dislike Diana but it's completly outrageous to suggest she didn't love her children. Even the Queen grudgingly admitted that she was devoted to her children.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARG
People who use their children as weapons in both marriage and divorce are despicable. Her two sons lives must have been a living nightmare waiting for the 'next salacious installment' of her never-ending public hate campaign against their father. (And teenage boys are not noted for their subtlety).

From what I've seen both boys loved their mother dearly and there's nothing to suggest that she made their lives a "nightmare".

Madame Royale 09-20-2006 08:36 AM

Quote:

I think it's one thing to dislike Diana but it's completly outrageous to suggest she didn't love her children. Even the Queen grudgingly admitted that she was devoted to her children.
I agree Little-Star although I do not think the Queen would have stated anything she did not feel or believe in (she is not an actress afterall) so I must disagree with the 'grudgingly' statement.

The comment to which you replied (indeed the whole post I thought) was fuelled with scorn, and that is really sad to see.

This is generally a good Forum with many good members but I have come to note during my short time here that it can also be a place of repugnance :sad:

Why some go out of their way to be like that I cannot understand.

And a good point made. HM the Queen is on record stating just how good a devoted and loving mother Diana was to her children and I would like to see anyone question the words of Elizabeth II.

Zonk 09-20-2006 08:40 AM

Madame Royale...how right you are!

While everyone is certainly entitled to dislike Diana...the venom that is used to talk about a woman who has been dead 9 years is amazing! And I would like to add..that this same type of venom is often used for Camilla for actions that happend during the same time period. Why can't people move on?

I must admit that sometimes it is hard to to visit the British threads...and since it was the British Royals who first captured my attention..that is a hard pill to swallow. Its like that movie Groundhog Day...we keep reliving the same events again OVER AND OVER AND OVER.

Skydragon 09-20-2006 09:49 AM

I'm with Jo and MARG here.

Many parents love their children, but sadly are not above using them or in Dianas case, not taking into account the humiliation and distress, her book and other actions would cause them.

Martin Bashir has himself said that the setting up of the interview took ages, as Diana wanted to be sure that the angle of the camera added to the tragic look.

Life does happen, good and bad and how we react shows our calibre.

Warren 09-20-2006 11:34 AM

The last exchange has been removed.

It looks like a good time for everyone to have a nice cup of tea and venture elsewhere in the Forums for a while.

thanks,
Warren
British Forums moderator


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises