The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   British Royal History (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f165/)
-   -   George, Duke of Kent (1902-ka1942) and Princess Marina (1906-1968) (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f165/george-duke-of-kent-1902-ka1942-and-princess-marina-1906-1968-a-7953.html)

theroyalfly 08-26-2019 12:58 AM

There were talks about that and I think Princess Marina would have been a great Queen Consort but yes, Prince George's substance abuse and his promiscuity would posed a great toll on him.

It's wishful thinking but the Kent's life would have been different and Princess Marina would have lived a more grandiose life. It such a pity that she had to endure a lot after his death but even amidst the humiliation and financial difficulties, she remained, until her death, a very important and hardworking royal of her time.

Denville 08-26-2019 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 (Post 2248671)
:previous: No...I don"t believe so. For all his good looks, his charisma, and his eminently suitable lovely wife Marina, George is widely reported to have had a serious problem with substance abuse.:ermm:

I understood that he got over his drug problems..(not that I'd have wanted to see Marina as queen).

Moonmaiden23 08-26-2019 01:08 PM

:previous: You wouldn't have wanted to see Princess Marina as Queen Consort?

Why, may I ask?

CyrilVladisla 08-26-2019 08:57 PM

Was the idea to have Prince George become King because he and Princess Marina had a son, Prince Edward?

Gawin 08-26-2019 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla (Post 2248859)
Was the idea to have Prince George become King because he and Princess Marina had a son, Prince Edward?

Yes, that's my understanding.

Countessmeout 08-26-2019 10:08 PM

The idea of bypassing is not new is it. How many times do we hear Charles should be bypassed for his son.

The reality is that you cant choose your heir. Succession is succession. Albert and Henry would have had to come to the throne and abdicate. And arguably Elizabeth would have been in line after her father abdicated.

George was young and popular. He had a beautiful royal blooded wife. And he had a son. In those times that made him attractive to the people. Henry of course would have two sons, but not until six years later.

It certainly wasnt the wish of the royal family. Or at least their father. He was quoted as saying he wished the throne could go right to Albert and Elizabeth.

Life would have been very different for the Kents if all those who needed to abdicate had and George found himself on the throne. Biggest being that he would not have died before 40 in an airplane crash.

Marina was a hard working dedicated royal as a widow. But then again so was the Queen mother. I dont know if Marina would have been any better a queen consort then her sister in law would have been.

How different it would be with King Edward IX on the throne now. Would we have had Queen Katherine, or would he have ended up married else where as the Prince of Wales. Would we have George, Prince of Wales and Prince Edward as his heir? Katherine's father was a baronet, would that have been considered acceptably high enough for the POW?

theroyalfly 08-27-2019 11:18 AM

It wasn't really just because Prince George was handsome and he has blue-blooded wife. Even as little he already had a reputation for being an art-lover and a linguist.

According to royal biographer, Christopher Warwick, he was by far the best of the four brothers. George was “The outstanding child and in many ways the most gifted. Edward, the heir to the throne, was pretty much a philistine, Bertie who became George VI, was not a particularly cultured or artistic individual and Henry, who became Duke Of Gloucester, was practically bovine.”

https://adeladdie.com/2015/10/29/pla...-duke-of-kent/

Marina is born to both artistic parents and she has a very bright personality. Actually at that time, the Duke and Duchess of Kent are the darlings of the crowd. Their home at 3 Belgrave Square became of focal point of the pre-WWII high society.

According to Christopher Warwick, 'That dazzling pair dominated London society, gathering around them some of most brilliant personalities from the arts, entertaining lavishly and generating an interest in their way of life that was unparalleled in the history of the royal family.'

https://therake.com/stories/icons/the-forgotten-prince/

Actually this couple made me hooked in royalty and I see them as Kingly and Queenly. They would have been a great King and Queen and their children would have been great as children of the King and Queen (not including Prince Michael's choice of wife)

JR76 08-27-2019 11:43 AM

Without choosing one prince or princess over another I'd just like to say that I'm sure that Marina would have been one fantastic queen.

theroyalfly 08-27-2019 11:51 AM

Today in Royal History is the 51st Death Anniversary of Princess Marina, Duchess of Kent born Princess Marina of Greece and Denmark, daughter of Prince Nicholas of Greece and Denmark and Grand Duchess Elena Vladimirovna of Russia. She died age 61 on 27 August 1968 of brain tumor.