The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   British Royal History (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f165/)
-   -   George, Duke of Kent (1902-ka1942) and Princess Marina (1906-1968) (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f165/george-duke-of-kent-1902-ka1942-and-princess-marina-1906-1968-a-7953.html)

An Ard Ri 03-22-2015 05:19 PM

Memorial Service For the Duke Of Kent (1942)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npW1vKAL_Hc

CyrilVladisla 08-11-2016 09:46 PM

The Demise of Princess Marina
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcss1vNWyBg

CyrilVladisla 08-22-2016 09:52 PM

Princess Marina went shopping.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmCbyQtJ78o

Countessmeout 08-26-2016 12:04 AM

Sadly Priscilla was widowed along side Princess Marina. John was one of the other 14 people on board when George's plane crashed. John and Priscilla were married 5 years. He had 1 son.

Curryong 08-26-2016 02:03 AM

I'm far from being a conspiracy nut, but I've always thought there was something rather fishy about the plane crash in which the Duke of Kent died.

VictoriaB 08-26-2016 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curryong (Post 1919490)
I'm far from being a conspiracy nut, but I've always thought there was something rather fishy about the plane crash in which the Duke of Kent died.


Why? I'm not being argumentative. Other than the fact it occurred during WWII I know nothing about it so I'd be interested in your opinion. Thanks.

Curryong 08-26-2016 05:37 AM

I've read about it over the years and some things don't really add up, IMHO. I certainly don't subscribe to the wild theories that Hess was on board or even a long held rumour that dozens of foreign banknotes were found by those retrieving what was left of the bodies.

There seems to have been a lot of documentation that authors have tried to access over the years on the accident that has conveniently gone missing. Access has been denied to the Royal archives.

The one person who survived the crash, Flt Sgt Jack, tucked away in the tail of the plane, refused to speak about the incident for the rest of his life. (He died in 1978.) While he was injured and in hospital following the crash he was visited by two very senior RAF officers. They paid him a private visit.

The one thing he did say as an old man was that he thought there was no pilot error. (The pilot, who died, and the air crew, were very experienced.) The Duke was an Air Commodore but was not very experienced at flying aircraft.

The plane veered inexplicably away from the planned flight path quite early in the flight. There was poor visibility and where they crashed was hilly.

It is said that at the time friends of the Duke of Kent were staying at Langwell House, close to the site of the crash.

The last known message from the fight deck was "Let's go down and have a look...."

The Duke was a man who liked taking risks. I have no evidence at all to back up my theory, apart from the above scraps. It's all speculative. However, I believe it may well be possible that the Duke of Kent was at the controls of the plane and intended to buzz Langwell House, giving his friends and himself a laugh. He wasn't terribly experienced, and the plane crashed and burned.

CyrilVladisla 11-19-2016 10:28 PM

In 1938 at King's School Prince George signed his name with a diamond pen on a pane of glass. He commemorated the completion of the rebuilding of the school.

Gaudete 12-03-2017 08:47 PM

Iíve just finished the latest Christopher Warwick biography of George and Marina. Interestingly, I had heard before that King Olav of Norway had proposed to Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother but according to Warwick, QEQM was actually recruited by the King of Denmark as a go between to offer Marina the chance to marry Olav in 1955. Which Marina declined.

She did however push very hard indeed for a marriage between Crown Prince Harald and Princess Alexandra and was desperate for Prince Edward to marry either Margarethe of Denmark or Beatrix of the Netherlands.

The book really is a great insight into Marinaís personality and life after her husbandís death and reveals (with the blessing of her children) her love affairs following Georgeís death and officially confirms his bisexuality.

The book also quotes from Noel Cowardís diaries in which he revealed that Princess Marina and Princess Alexandra were less than impressed with Princess Margaretís choice of husband and cites this as being common among European Royal families who opted not to bother to send representatives as they didnít believe it would last. How prophetic!

Marengo 12-04-2017 04:02 AM

That is interesting. Does the author show any documents about these ambitions or is it merely deduction?

Three decades earlier Edward and Alexandra would have been rather logical candidates indeed. If fact, Edward would have been the first candidate for any Dutch diplomat: English, royal, no chance of succeeding, protestant, healthy and from a reigning family. But all involved had other plans in the sixties.

In the mid sixties some ministers were concerned that Princess Beatrix was not married yet. Joseph Luns -minister of foreign affairs and later NATO secretary general- urged prince Bernhard to make a list of suitable candidates. In 1965 the Dutch ambassador in the UK, Herman van Rooijen, organized a few diners with English noblemen. Afterwards a few German dinners were organized where the princess reacquainted Claus von Amsberg.

The duke of Kent was already married at the time of course.

Gaudete 12-04-2017 06:12 AM

The author had access to Marinaís archive but also was able to interview her children for the book so I assume that it was first hand accounts given by the Duke of Kent and his siblings. The present Duchess of Kent also gave him an interview and the details about her relationship with Marina are fascinating. It does sound as if she was quite the matriarch.

According to Warwick, Marina made Edward and Katherine wait for 3 years before she would agree to their marriage during in which time she hoped that he would change his mind. She eventually accepted Katherine Worsley but arranged the wedding herself, even down to the dress the bride would wear.

As you say, at the time of Marinaís dynastic plans there was a possibility but I donít think Alexandra in particular ever wanted a royal match for herself. According to Warwick, Marina felt that Alexandra should be a Queen consort and her first preference was Norway because of Alexandraís relation to Queen Maud. Thereís no detail given however about how seriously King Harald ever took Marinaís suggestion, if he ever considered it all.

One relationship that is well documented in the book is Marinaís long love affair with Sir Philip Hay who served as her private secretary after the war. She also engaged in a relationship with Sir Malcolm Sargant but remained close to Philip throughout her widowhood.

Denville 12-04-2017 07:10 AM

Interesting. Thanks for telling about it. I didn't know that much about Marina, but it sounds as if she was a bossy rather snobbish woman.
I did see Lady Colin Campbell on some TV programme saying that Mariana had a very acive love life after she was widowed.. but I know how dubiuous LCC can be...

Gaudete 12-04-2017 07:16 AM

I think that of all Princess Nicholas' daughters, Marina was the most like her mother. She belonged to a different era which in the 1960s must have been a huge challenge. Prince George always said that his wife was bossy but he welcomed that given his rather unorthodox life before his marriage. She was a stabilising influence but I don't think many members of the British Royal Family were ever able to warm to her.

After the war, she spent much of her time socialising with her own family and friends which was very much comprised of continental royalty (albeit deposed) who shared her views. Considering the strong influence of the Queen Mother on the British court, it's no wonder that Marina was somewhat alienated. Especially as it's no great secret that Marina and Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother didn't exactly get along very well.

Denville 12-04-2017 08:03 AM

The QM was faily conservative in her views too, but Not I suppose to the same extent as Marina. She sounds a nightmare.. and Edward and Alexandra were lucky that thty managed to marry as they wished.. even if the DOK's marriage hasn't been 100% successful.
I suppose if Marina did mix with her old ciricle of Contientnal royalty, esp if they were largely "ex royals", she was obsessed with the old ways of matchmaking and "marrying other royals" and wanted that for her children...
But I'm interested to know that Lady Colin is actually right for once in saying that M had a healthy sexual appetite and had quite a few lovers....

Gaudete 12-04-2017 08:11 AM

George, Duke of Kent (1902-ka1942) and Princess Marina (1906-1968)
 
Haha! Itís a rare thing indeed when Lady Colin offers accurate commentary.

The distance between Marina and QEQM was really based on the Queen Motherís insecurities rather than Marinaís dislike of her. The Queen Mother was intimidated by foreign royalty as it served to remind her that she was *only* the daughter of an Earl. We know from her official biography that the Queen Mother didnít like the idea of lots of foreign royals marching about Buckingham Palace and she was lucky in that George V sympathised somewhat with that view after the First World War. George VI didnít really provide any opposition either.

But Princess Marina was very much a part of the grand extended royal family tree and the book mentions the fact that during state visits, Marina would often be the one the visitors spent their time with. One anecdote tells how the Queen Mother was left in a temper after Marina cut short an introduction to warmly embrace a foreign Prince whom Marina knew very well but who was a stranger to the Queen Mother. I imagine over the years these little tensions grew into a frosty relationship.

But Marina wasnít all to blame. She was left in dire straits after the Dukeís death and neither the Queen nor Queen Mother were in any way speedily forthcoming with a solution. In the end, Marina had to beg Churchill to step in and secure her a permanent income which the Queen Mother was opposed to. Especially the renovation of Apartment 1 at KP which cost around £80,000 and caused a political outcry.

Marina did however get on very well with other in laws and British relations, particularly Princess Alice, Countess of Athlone and the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester.

Oddly, for all her snobbery, she always sent Christmas cards to the Duke and Duchess of Windsor and sanctioned several relationships which at the time would have been very much illegal. Noel Coward spoke of her accepting nature but it seems that didnít apply to her own children.

Denville 12-04-2017 08:16 AM

I doubt if the QM was really bothered by the status thing, I think she simply didn't like foreigners that much, esp Germans.
As you say G V was much the same, he didn't like "abroad" at all..
I'm not surprised Q Eliz was annoyed if Marina cut short an introduction to "embrace a foreign prince".. its rude.
What Lady CC acutally said was that Marina had a lively interest in men and that she annoyed many wives by her hooking up with their husbands when she took a fancy to one...

Gaudete 12-04-2017 08:23 AM

Itís not the first time Iíve read that the Queen Mother did have something of an inferiority complex. She was equally bad tempered when the Duke of Edinburgh reminded her that his mother had spent lots of time at Windsor and Buckingham Palace during her childhood. She fabricated a very sweet public imagine but QEQM was not all sweetness and light and I think her unkindness to Marina and other foreign relations was more based in a will to assert her status than it was based on their nationality. Marina could hardly be seen as a German, neither could Queen Juliana who also earned the ire of the Queen Mother.

I think itís understandable, especially as not every member of the British Royal Family welcomed her as Duchess of York. Even sickly sweet Princess Alice (Athlone) called her ďthe tea cosyĒ! She must have felt a need to prove herself and Queen Mary didnít exactly hide her feelings that Marina was a far better choice than Elizabeth had been based on her pedigree. Fortunately for Elizabeth, neither George V or George VI felt that way.

The trouble was that the Queen Mother could be very over sensitive and more than a little selfish. As Marina said, it was hard to take a lecture from her on overspending during the KP renovations when in the same year, the Queen Mother spent almost twice that much in one afternoon on furnishings for Clarence House which had only been updated a decade earlier. Whilst the Queen Mother was buying champagne for herself, Marinaís house had half the roof missing.

Marengo 12-04-2017 08:37 AM

All very interesting.

In what way did Queen Juliana earn the ire of the Queen Mother? She did accept to become godmother of Princess Irene so I suppose it must have been later.

Does the book reveal anything about the relations of George VI and his sister-in-law or about Queen Elizabeth II and her aunt?

Gaudete 12-04-2017 08:58 AM

I believe it was during the early 1970s and was based more on the fact that she disapproved of Prince Bernhard and therefore by extension Juliana herself. This is the second biography of that generation of British royals which has made reference to a dislike the Queen Mother had for Juliana but I canít say Iíve ever seen any reference to one incident that triggered any face to face unpleasantness.

There are certainly plenty documented between the Queen Mother and Princess Marina however.

According to the book, George VI liked Marina but he never had a chance to spend much time with her because of the cool relationship that existed between his wife and that of his brother. QEQM preferred things to be ďwe twoĒ before ďwe fourĒ came along and I wonder whether some of that was because of George Kentís reputation, which most high society was aware of. Princess Mary and Prince Henry were not particularly the most friendly of people and so I think it was very much left to just George and Elizabeth and their small circle of friends which she tended to choose rather than him.

George Kent was also much closer to Duke of Windsor than he was George VI. He helped him through his withdrawal from morphine and cocaine addiction for example. As for the present Queen, she was said to be quite fond of Marina and saw far more of her than she otherwise would have done, simply because Philip treated Marina very much as a beloved aunt and the friendship between his own mother and Princess Marina was a strong one.

Thereís a lovely anecdote about Marina correcting Lord Mountbatten who referred to Philip as a true English gentleman: ďNo he isnít. Heís a true Greek Prince!Ē

Gaudete 12-04-2017 09:59 AM

George, Duke of Kent (1902-ka1942) and Princess Marina (1906-1968)
 
I donít think this link has been posted before but itís the longest audio I have heard of Marina speaking.

https://youtu.be/v_vCD8a941Q

Denville 12-04-2017 10:14 AM

hmm I didn't know much about Marina, but she appeals less and less

Gaudete 12-04-2017 10:21 AM

I have to say the opposite was true for me. I didnít know much about her but I came to admire her very much. Her marriage was not at all easy and she had a fairly lonely life once her children were grown and living their own lives. She must have felt very isolated and perhaps thatís why she relied so much on the company of her sisters and their families which took her further away from the British Royal Family as it forged a new direction where most things were central to Clarence House.

Nico 12-04-2017 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaudete (Post 2046796)
I have to say the opposite was true for me. I didn’t know much about her but I came to admire her very much. Her marriage was not at all easy and she had a fairly lonely life once her children were grown and living their own lives. She must have felt very isolated and perhaps that’s why she relied so much on the company of her sisters and their families which took her further away from the British Royal Family as it forged a new direction where most things were central to Clarence House.

Totally agree here.
Here's a woman who married a very complicated man, lost him at a quite young age and had to raise three children on her own, with, as pointed out, limited ressources (from a royal point of view).
It's a bit easy to forget that she was a very popular member of the BRF, carriying spectacular engagements across the worl on behalf of the Queen.
I dont' think she was "bossy" either, but she was from a bygone world and wished just the best for her children. At the end she gave her blessing for Alexandra and Edward, so she was not that stiff after all ...
I do think that QEQM was just a bit jealous ans indeed insecure, because Marina was the epitome of the Continental woman : beautiful, tall, elegant, intelligent and regal from head to toe. Snobbish ? She refused to be Queen of Norway !!!!
A fascinating figure, sadly a bit forgotten nowadays.

Gaudete 12-04-2017 10:46 AM

Totally agree Nico. I think with Marina, the last ties to Queen Mary's style were severed and the British Royal Family found itself entering a new age that was really dominated by the Queen Mother for the next 40 years. We know that the Queen rarely made any decisions affecting the family without the consent of her mother....and we all know how that turned out. That isn't to say that the Queen Mother was a terrible person but she had her flaws and they made an impact on those around her.

For Marina, this would have been a totally alien concept. She grew up in a world where rank and position were paramount and where the vast European royal network was incredibly important. It's therefore not a surprise that after Queen Mary's death, she found herself increasingly at odds with the British court and tended to be a bit of a loner. But as you rightly say, she was extremely popular with the British people which gave her a kind of special position within the family. Even when both sides of the House of Commons criticised the cost of refurbishing Apartment 1a at Kensington Palace for Marina, they went to great lengths to include statements of praise for the Duchess because they didn't want to be seen to attack her personally.

Princesses are no longer made the way Marina was. And for the Queen Mother, she must have been a constant reminder that Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon was a royal outsider. I don't think that bothered Princess Alice (Gloucester) one bit but Marina was real competition. Especially when you consider that the only other sister-in-law the Queen Mother had was the Duchess of Windsor and we all know the story there. I can see the situation from both sides. Marina disagreed with the way the Queen Mother raised her daughters and how she lived in her widowhood. Elizabeth thought Marina was a snob and demanded too much. I don't see how they ever really could have been friends.

Kronprinz 01-10-2018 05:58 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8ytj6kkeeQ

CyrilVladisla 04-18-2018 04:59 PM

Prince George honored the Cinema industry. He has an eloquent speaking voice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-i5uk8_knw

Tsaritsa 04-19-2018 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denville (Post 2046791)
hmm I didn't know much about Marina, but she appeals less and less

Several years ago I read a book called "Blood Relative" which was written by Nicholas Gray, an Irish lecturer. The author claimed that Alexei, Tsarivitch and son of Nicholas and Alexandra, had escaped the massacre and grown out of haemophilia, and had been bought up by people loyal to the Tsar. It's posited that, as children, an alliance had been made between Alexei and Marina and that they met, as young adults, in Paris. The author further claims that after Prince George was killed, Marina and the now grown Alexei, had secret meetings, the result of which was a -secret- pregnancy which produced a son -the author- who was handed over by the establishment to Irish adoptive parents.

Clearly, much research had gone into the book -I found it hard to put down- and the author mentions many names -both Irish and Russian- who were known to a friend of mine. Of course, by the 1990's, memories had faded. We know, of course, that there's no doubt that the entire Imperial Family were massacred but because there appears to have been some mystery surrounding the author's adoption I suspect there was always the whisper of a tantalizing chance that his theory was correct. Like all conspiracy theories, the theory is much more exciting than the mundane truth. Please don't shoot the messenger.

Denville 04-20-2018 01:04 AM

I would prefer to know the truth about something than a fantasy... and how on earth cuodl someone "grow out of haemophilia"?

Tsaritsa 04-20-2018 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denville (Post 2095498)
I would prefer to know the truth about something than a fantasy... and how on earth cuodl someone "grow out of haemophilia"?


As I said. Don't shoot the messenger!!! The author goes into lengthy detail about mitochondrial DNA which was far beyond my comprehension. I was on book-swapping terms with my doctor so I shared this one with him. He confirmed that the author had made a compelling case ON SOME POINTS. Well. Yes. I'm aware of how statistics work. Re 'haemophilia'. The author maintained that he'd gone back 16 generations of Queen Victoria's family and could only find a "blood disorder".

Denville 04-20-2018 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tsaritsa (Post 2095514)
As I said. Don't shoot the messenger!!! The author goes into lengthy detail about mitochondrial DNA which was far beyond my comprehension. I was on book-swapping terms with my doctor so I shared this one with him. He confirmed that the author had made a compelling case ON SOME POINTS. Well. Yes. I'm aware of how statistics work. Re 'haemophilia'. The author maintained that he'd gone back 16 generations of Queen Victoria's family and could only find a "blood disorder".

I'm not "shooting" anyone. I'm pointing out that as far as I know (I'm certainly no expert) no one "grows out" of Haemophilia. and it seems to me quite obvious that this is a whole big fantasy, like the one I've seen on the internet wehre Diana had a secret daughter by Charles...

Tsaritsa 04-20-2018 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denville (Post 2095525)
I'm not "shooting" anyone. I'm pointing out that as far as I know (I'm certainly no expert) no one "grows out" of Haemophilia. and it seems to me quite obvious that this is a whole big fantasy, like the one I've seen on the internet wehre Diana had a secret daughter by Charles...


To the best of my knowledge they're more likely to die of something related to it, however, the author, by claiming it was a nonspecific blood disorder, gives it some leeway. The book was written whilst there was still some question mark regarding the bodies. Now that question mark has been removed.............................please do tell me more about Charles' and Diana's secret daughter.

CyrilVladisla 05-31-2018 08:20 PM

Prince George and Princess Marina went to Yugoslavia in 1935.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5R1AA-O-9M

Moonmaiden23 05-31-2018 08:37 PM

:previous: ..." the Duchess shakes hands with the peasants"...can you imagine the absolute hailstorm of controversy that would ensue if an announcer said that today about Royals meeting ordinary citizens?:lol::ohmy:

How times have changed!

CyrilVladisla 06-01-2018 09:09 PM

:previous: It does seem unbelievable that a Duchess who is not only a Duchess but a Royal Princess as well would be so involved with the peasants. However, Marina deserves credit for encountering the people the way she did.

Countessmeout 06-01-2018 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla (Post 2118384)
:previous: It does seem unbelievable that a Duchess who is not only a Duchess but a Royal Princess as well would be so involved with the peasants. However, Marina deserves credit for encountering the people the way she did.

Um I think the comment was more about the Language being used :smile:

Its not unbelievable a duchess or royal would touch a commoner. Back then may have been more uncommon. But we certainly see even the queen do it.

What would be shocking would be if the BBC in 2018 called commoners 'peassants' and made a big deal of someone like Kate touching one :lol:

CyrilVladisla 08-31-2018 09:24 PM

On July 2, 1966 Princess Marina presented Billie Jean King with the winner's trophy.
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-ju...-64485453.html

In the early 1930s Prince George was appointed an inspector of factories. He alarmed factory committees of the day with his campaign for a five day working week.

When Edward VIII abdicated in 1936, some people believed that Edward's brothers Prince Albert and Prince Henry should be bypassed and that Prince George becomes King. Do you think George, Duke of Kent would have been a successful sovereign?

theroyalfly 08-25-2019 06:56 AM

Today in Royal History is the 77th Death Anniversary of Prince George, Duke of Kent!

Moonmaiden23 08-25-2019 11:29 PM

:previous: No...I don"t believe so. For all his good looks, his charisma, and his eminently suitable lovely wife Marina, George is widely reported to have had a serious problem with substance abuse.:ermm:

theroyalfly 08-26-2019 12:58 AM

There were talks about that and I think Princess Marina would have been a great Queen Consort but yes, Prince George's substance abuse and his promiscuity would posed a great toll on him.

It's wishful thinking but the Kent's life would have been different and Princess Marina would have lived a more grandiose life. It such a pity that she had to endure a lot after his death but even amidst the humiliation and financial difficulties, she remained, until her death, a very important and hardworking royal of her time.

Denville 08-26-2019 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 (Post 2248671)
:previous: No...I don"t believe so. For all his good looks, his charisma, and his eminently suitable lovely wife Marina, George is widely reported to have had a serious problem with substance abuse.:ermm:

I understood that he got over his drug problems..(not that I'd have wanted to see Marina as queen)Ö.

Moonmaiden23 08-26-2019 01:08 PM

:previous: You wouldn't have wanted to see Princess Marina as Queen Consort?

Why, may I ask?

CyrilVladisla 08-26-2019 08:57 PM

Was the idea to have Prince George become King because he and Princess Marina had a son, Prince Edward?

Gawin 08-26-2019 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla (Post 2248859)
Was the idea to have Prince George become King because he and Princess Marina had a son, Prince Edward?

Yes, that's my understanding.

Countessmeout 08-26-2019 10:08 PM

The idea of bypassing is not new is it. How many times do we hear Charles should be bypassed for his son.

The reality is that you cant choose your heir. Succession is succession. Albert and Henry would have had to come to the throne and abdicate. And arguably Elizabeth would have been in line after her father abdicated.

George was young and popular. He had a beautiful royal blooded wife. And he had a son. In those times that made him attractive to the people. Henry of course would have two sons, but not until six years later.

It certainly wasnt the wish of the royal family. Or at least their father. He was quoted as saying he wished the throne could go right to Albert and Elizabeth.

Life would have been very different for the Kents if all those who needed to abdicate had and George found himself on the throne. Biggest being that he would not have died before 40 in an airplane crash.

Marina was a hard working dedicated royal as a widow. But then again so was the Queen mother. I dont know if Marina would have been any better a queen consort then her sister in law would have been.

How different it would be with King Edward IX on the throne now. Would we have had Queen Katherine, or would he have ended up married else where as the Prince of Wales. Would we have George, Prince of Wales and Prince Edward as his heir? Katherine's father was a baronet, would that have been considered acceptably high enough for the POW?

theroyalfly 08-27-2019 11:18 AM

It wasn't really just because Prince George was handsome and he has blue-blooded wife. Even as little he already had a reputation for being an art-lover and a linguist.

According to royal biographer, Christopher Warwick, he was by far the best of the four brothers. George was “The outstanding child and in many ways the most gifted. Edward, the heir to the throne, was pretty much a philistine, Bertie who became George VI, was not a particularly cultured or artistic individual and Henry, who became Duke Of Gloucester, was practically bovine.”

https://adeladdie.com/2015/10/29/pla...-duke-of-kent/


Marina is born to both artistic parents and she has a very bright personality. Actually at that time, the Duke and Duchess of Kent are the darlings of the crowd. Their home at 3 Belgrave Square became of focal point of the pre-WWII high society.

According to Christopher Warwick, 'That dazzling pair dominated London society, gathering around them some of most brilliant personalities from the arts, entertaining lavishly and generating an interest in their way of life that was unparalleled in the history of the royal family.'

https://therake.com/stories/icons/the-forgotten-prince/

Actually this couple made me hooked in royalty and I see them as Kingly and Queenly. They would have been a great King and Queen and their children would have been great as children of the King and Queen (not including Prince Michael's choice of wife)

JR76 08-27-2019 11:43 AM

Without choosing one prince or princess over another I'd just like to say that I'm sure that Marina would have been one fantastic queen.

theroyalfly 08-27-2019 11:51 AM

Today in Royal History is the 51st Death Anniversary of Princess Marina, Duchess of Kent born Princess Marina of Greece and Denmark, daughter of Prince Nicholas of Greece and Denmark and Grand Duchess Elena Vladimirovna of Russia. She died age 61 on 27 August 1968 of brain tumor.

eya 05-05-2020 11:01 AM

Princess Marina , Duchess of Kent in front of the photo of her husband Prince George, Duke of Kent


https://scontent.fath4-2.fna.fbcdn.n...99&oe=5ED60888

sophie25 05-05-2020 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eya (Post 2312345)
Princess Marina , Duchess of Kent in front of the photo of her husband Prince George, Duke of Kent


https://scontent.fath4-2.fna.fbcdn.n...99&oe=5ED60888

They were like film stars, so beautiful and stylish both of them.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:39 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020
Jelsoft Enterprises