The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f44/)
-   -   Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall: Visit to the US - November 1-8, 2005 (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f44/prince-of-wales-and-duchess-of-cornwall-visit-to-the-us-november-1-8-2005-a-7662.html)

Lady Marmalade 11-01-2005 04:47 PM

Finally..CNN just had coverage of them.

They are currently in a meeting with Kofi Annan at the UN and tonight will be attending a reception where according to the reporters it will be high society and celebrities galore.

They will be going to New Orleans for sure to visit the area to see how the operations are coming along.

We have some things going in our Senate at the current moment, so coverage has been sparse on the telly....

Princejohnny25 11-01-2005 04:56 PM

The US media is calling them Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla. Some are even calling her Princess Camilla. Princess Camilla has a nice sound. Is it appropiate to call her Duchess Camilla. Is that even correct.

Mapple 11-01-2005 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Princejonnhy25
The US media is calling them Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla. Some are even calling her Princess Camilla. Princess Camilla has a nice sound. Is it appropiate to call her Duchess Camilla. Is that even correct.

No, all that is very incorrect. :)

Prince Charles is 'Prince Charles' only in Scotland. To be precise, he is 'HRH The Prince Charles, Duke of Rothesay' there. Outside of Scotland he is 'HRH The Prince of Wales'.

'Princess Camilla' implies that Camilla is a daughter of the monarch.

'Duchess Camilla'? She is 'HRH The Duchess of Cornwall'.

Larzen 11-01-2005 05:11 PM

8 Attachment(s)
From www.goffinf.com

The Duchess looks great, she always looks perfect for the occation

Lady Marmalade 11-01-2005 05:12 PM

Our media can be a little vexing when it comes to appropriate use of titles. I wish the research would be more thorough by our journalists.

I am waiting for some doofus reporter to slip and call him "His Majesty" or "His Highness". The latter drives drives me crazy as that is not even correct...fogetting to stick the word, Royal, in between.

Now I am wondering if anyone will bow or curtsey tonight at the reception. It is a little past 4 in the afternoon there so it is coming up soon.

BeatrixFan 11-01-2005 05:19 PM

Re:
 
Quote:

Now I am wondering if anyone will bow or curtsey tonight at the reception
If they've got any manners they will.

I agree. However incorrect Princess Camilla is, it has a nice ring to it. Diana was never Princess Diana but that was acceptable in common usage. If they're calling her Princess Camilla it can only be a good thing.

bigheadshirmp 11-01-2005 05:21 PM

found this comment from the British roayls message board by "chav"



"But there's very little hullabaloo. The "Crowd" consists of about 10 pedestrians on one side of the street and 10-15 on the other corner. But it only looked like 4-5 of them were waiting for the UK couple - the rest were pissed off delivery boys whom the police would not let cross the street. The British & City officials (suits and ties) waiting for the couple outnumber both police and regular folk 3-1!!! Kinda sad. I'm interested to see the press photos of the visit to see if the photos actually reflect the low turnout for the event. "

can anyone confirm that there isn't many ppl there to see them when compared with other royals going to US? are they really that bad?

Princejohnny25 11-01-2005 05:25 PM

There were several hundred waiting for the royal couple. Some had banners and pics and wanted to shake their hands. Others were on coffee breaks and got caught up in the exitment.

Lady Marmalade 11-01-2005 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
If they've got any manners they will.

I agree. However incorrect Princess Camilla is, it has a nice ring to it. Diana was never Princess Diana but that was acceptable in common usage. If they're calling her Princess Camilla it can only be a good thing.

But they probably won't. We, as citizens of another country, do not bow or curtsey to anyone. ;)

That is not offending protocol in anyway. I would be floored (and she will not do it) if the First Lady curtseyed tomorrow.

She is not Princess anything.....she is Duchess Camilla..or, Princess Charles if one must absolutely insist on using the prefix of Princess. ;)

Princejohnny25 11-01-2005 05:28 PM

Diana was never Princess Diana but the world knew her as that. I think people might call her Princess Camilla in time. Is it right to use Duchess before a name. I know you can use Princess and Countess but I never heard duchess. Is Duke Andrew and Earl Edward right. I have hear Sophie referred to as Countess Sophie.

BeatrixFan 11-01-2005 05:29 PM

Re:
 
Quote:

But they probably won't. We, as citizens of another country, do not bow or curtsey to anyone. ;)
How welcoming...

Quote:

That is not offending protocol in anyway
I believe it is. If someone is of Royal Status you curtsey or bow to show their rank and status. If you don't, it just looks impolite. It doesn't take much does it?

She isn't Duchess Camilla at all. She's The Duchess of Cornwall. You never say Duchess Camilla.

sara1981 11-01-2005 05:31 PM

Charles, Camilla Depart for United States
https://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051101/...YwN5bnN1YmNhdA--

Prince Charles and Camilla launch US tour in Diana's shadow
https://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20051101...YwN5bnN1YmNhdA--

Lady Marmalade 11-01-2005 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
How welcoming...



I believe it is. If someone is of Royal Status you curtsey or bow to show their rank and status. If you don't, it just looks impolite. It doesn't take much does it?

No, Beatrixfan, in this instance I am very much correct. We are not required to bow or curtsey to anyone, in any circumstance. It is not offensive or impolite.

Her Majesty has even decreed the British people do not have to bow or curtsey to her.

These are solid, clear, facts and not my personal opinion.

BeatrixFan 11-01-2005 05:41 PM

Re:
 
Quote:

Her Majesty has even decreed the British people do not have to bow or curtsey to her.
She most certainly has not. When did the Queen last 'decree' anything? Those who are due to meet Royalty are now told that to bow or curtsey is a personal choice but that it is the polite thing to do. Which leaves people in no two minds about what the best thing is to do. Debretts Book of Etiquette says, "If you're told that you have a choice - disregard it. You don't"

Americans may have no wish to show deference and respect, but we still keep that little nicety.

Harry's polo shirt 11-01-2005 05:44 PM

On Good Morning America someone was standing in the crowd holding a giant framed photo of Diana....

BeatrixFan 11-01-2005 05:45 PM

Re:
 
Quote:

On Good Morning America someone was standing in the crowd holding a giant framed photo of Diana....
What a Statement he/she made......:confused:

Princejohnny25 11-01-2005 05:45 PM

Quote:

On Good Morning America someone was standing in the crowd holding a giant framed photo of Diana....
How sad. I did not hear about that one. I only saw a pic of someone holding up a tea towel from their wedding.

Ennyllorac 11-01-2005 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
She most certainly has not. When did the Queen last 'decree' anything? Those who are due to meet Royalty are now told that to bow or curtsey is a personal choice but that it is the polite thing to do. Which leaves people in no two minds about what the best thing is to do. Debretts Book of Etiquette says, "If you're told that you have a choice - disregard it. You don't"

Americans may have no wish to show deference and respect, but we still keep that little nicety.

I found this on the Official Site of the Royal Family https://www.royal.gov.uk/output/page236.asp

"HOW DO I WRITE TO THE QUEEN OR A MEMBER OF THE ROYAL FAMILY, OR BEHAVE WHEN I MEET THEM?

Lots of people ask this question. There are no obligatory codes of behaviour - simply courtesy.

...
There are also no obligatory codes of behaviour when meeting The Queen or a member of the Royal Family. Many people wish to observe the traditional forms. For men this is a neck bow (from the head only) whilst women do a small curtsy. Other people prefer simply to shake hands in the usual way. On presentation to The Queen, the correct formal address is 'Your Majesty' and subsequently 'Ma'am'. For male members of the Royal Family the same rules apply, with the title used in the first instance being 'Your Royal Highness' and subsequently 'Sir'. For other female members of the Royal Family the first address is conventionally 'Your Royal Highness' followed by 'Ma'am' in later conversation."


So I guess you are not considered rude if you choose not to curtsey. :)

BeatrixFan 11-01-2005 05:50 PM

Re:
 
Quote:

So I guess you are not considered rude if you choose not to curtsey.
When I met Princess Alexandra, I bowed from the waist and called her 'Your Royal Highness'. I didn't call her Ma'am all the time she was speaking to me because I found it to be too over familiar. Neck Bows are silly things and if you're going to bow, do the thing properly.

A friend of mine met the Duchess of Gloucester and as she walked past my friend to go up to the top table, my friend curtseyed as HRH passed. The Duchess stopped and smiled and then walked on. When my friend spoke to a L-i-W she said, "HRH was quite suprised. People hardly ever bow when they pass anymore".

Lady Marmalade 11-01-2005 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
She most certainly has not. When did the Queen last 'decree' anything? Those who are due to meet Royalty are now told that to bow or curtsey is a personal choice but that it is the polite thing to do. Which leaves people in no two minds about what the best thing is to do. Debretts Book of Etiquette says, "If you're told that you have a choice - disregard it. You don't"

Americans may have no wish to show deference and respect, but we still keep that little nicety.

Yes she did....hate be the one to tell you that.

As part of the Way Ahead meeting she has with her husband, children, and senior advisors after Diana's death.

We are not told we have a personal choice to bow or curtsey when we meet any royalty.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:51 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises