The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997) (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f38/)
-   -   1982: Diana's Fall (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f38/1982-dianas-fall-7404.html)

Idriel 09-29-2005 12:18 PM

1982: Diana's Fall
 
Some time ago, there was a discussion going on about Diana's fall in 1982, while she was pregnant with Prince William.
There are different versions of this event going on.
I would like to bring my contribution by sharing this excerpt from the book Diana L'Enquète (Canal + Edition).
The translation is my own, please forgive spelling and grammar errors.

[Chapter five, Le Britannia, page 105-107] At the beginning of 1982, the Sun, based on a footman's detailed report, claimed that Diana fell down the stairs. A doctor has been called in and had announced that neither the child nor the mother were in danger.
Few years later, this episode would bear a huge importance in Diana's recollection of her marriage breakdown. In his 1992 biography [Diana, her true story], Andrew Morton would write that Diana was at the edge of nervous breakdown, exhausted by Charles' cruel indifference. She had a terribly violent row with Charles. She confided to Morton that, in her despair, she attempted suicide. [During the row] Prince Charles had coldly accused her of blackmailing him, made fun of her nevrotic tendencies and refused to listen to her. He informed her he would go for a ride. Diana, three months pregnant, threw herself down the big stairs and fell at the feet of the Queen, who was livid with fear. When Charles learnt what happened, he went out as intended and shown only indifference at his return. For her friend, Elsa Bowke, Diana added further details: she had stormed into Charles' office, found love letters exchanged between him and Camilla, and that was the reason she thrown herself down the stairs. She thought it was not worthy anymore to live and have a kid.
In 1994, [Charles' friend] Jonathan Dimbleby relayed the story [in The Prince of Wales], quoting Morton and thus adding more credit to the story. He attempted to explain that Charles was upset because Diana refused to make peace. But here, there is distortion. Writer Lady Colin Campbell declared that during an interview granted in 1995, Diana affirmed that none of that ever happened and accused Morton of distorting her testimony. He did totally fabricated this 'SOS' said she. For all answer, Morton published the transcription of records Diana made for him. Here are her says:

I threw myself down the stairs. Charles accused me of bluffing, I was really desperate, I was crying so much and he said: 'I don't want to listen to you. It's always the same thing! I am going for a walk!' So I threw myself down the stairs. The Queen arrived, absolutely horrified, all shivering. She was really scared. I knew I would not lose the baby, but my stomach was covered with bruises. Charles did went for a ride, and when he came back, he remained cold, totally indifferent.

The reality of the row is not to be doubted. This detail is part of the original story reported by the Sun; the paper decided to publish it. The Sun informer, a footman, had been a witness and saw Diana stumble and fall down three steps before grabbing the bar. He also added that Charles stayed with Diana until the doctor arrived and reassured both of them.
The Sun photographer Arthur Edwards, who knew the witness very well, says philosophically:

It is the kind of scene you would expect. There are rows in all couples. of course, there were some in the Royal family, but they were not supposed to have rows, especially in public and even less in front of the staff. You know, Diana was very unbalanced, when she felt she could, she would explode. But in fact, she did not fell down the whole stairs, but only three steps. Of course, Prince Charles was very worried, he did call a doctor because she was pregnant, to know if the baby was OK. Later, this story was interpreted as a suicide attempt. This is nonsence. She fell on three steps.

Joseph Sanders, a close friend of Diana's during the 90's affirms she told him she simply slip and that there had never been a suicide blackmailing.
[The book was published in the UK under the title: Diana, Story of a Princess. All comments between brackets are my own]

iowabelle 09-29-2005 08:04 PM

I always wondered about this story because it sounded so strange. Since Diana's love for children was well known and she was really born to be a mother, it seemed so out of character that she would have tried to kill herself while carrying a baby.

I always felt so sorry for William when this story is told. What would it be like to know that your mother was so unhappy while carrying you that she tried to kill the both of you? (Was Diana so lacking in empathy toward her child that she couldn't think of the questions this would raise for him?)

Just another riddle in the enigma that was Diana.

Duchess 09-29-2005 08:05 PM

i've often thought about that too iowabelle. great questions.

Australian 09-30-2005 09:39 AM

If this is actually what happened, it is very disturbing that Charles went out for his walk, he must have been concerned at least, after all it is his child she was carrying. The whole marriage just seems like a nightmare. Things must have been really bad if Diana allegedly wanted to commit suicide, but there are two sides to every story, maybe Diana was very difficult to live with and Charles needed time for his own to breathe. I guess we will never know.

I too feel sorry for William and harry when they are subjected to these sorts of stories about their parents, it must be very hard to say the least.

una 09-30-2005 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iowabelle
Since Diana's love for children was well known and she was really born to be a mother, it seemed so out of character that she would have tried to kill herself while carrying a baby.

I'm not sure she was trying to kill herself. In Morton's tape above she says "I knew I would not lose the baby". She told Simone Simmons she did it to get attention from Charles.

Her boys might not like that, but I think they would find the emotional drama familiar. It would probably be less shocking to them than to us.

I always wondered what was in her mind when she pushed her 58-year-old mother-in-law down the stairs. Did she realize she might have killed her? Or did she think it would be magically alright?

iowabelle 09-30-2005 09:08 PM

I wasn't convinced either that she had tried to kill herself by falling down the stairs. [My guess was it was an accident, and then she used it to get attention and sympathy. And it served her purpose to tell Andrew Morton that it had been a suicide attempt.] But still not a good thing to have told Morton.

I was kind of shocked that she had pushed Raine down the stairs and seemed proud of it. Her treatment of Raine doesn't match up with her usual behavior or compassion (yes, I know she didn't like the "step monster" until almost the end of her life).

ysbel 09-30-2005 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iowabelle
I always felt so sorry for William when this story is told.

I did too iowabelle but for different reasons. I was thinking that if anything turned out wrong with him, people would always blame the fall. Luckily that didn't happen but Diana couldn't have known that when he was only 10 or so when Morton's book was published. If the fall was an accident or she really was trying to kill herself, well you can't blame a person for that.

But to tell the story several years later and agree to have it published? One would have expected her to have more objectivity about the incident after so many years and realize the implications of letting it be published.

Princejohnny25 09-30-2005 09:24 PM

I dont think it is true. Charles may have been mad at Diana but Charles would never let his future child and heir in danger. I too feel sorry for the Wales boys.

Harry's polo shirt 10-01-2005 01:40 AM

I don't think it was a suicide attemp. I don't understand why she would put her child in danger, on purpose, because she was mad at her husband. I think she did exagerate her side of the story, I think that she just tripped.

tiaraprin 10-01-2005 04:21 PM

I agree that Diana tripped. I do believe though she was quite upset and perhaps had suicical thoughts in her mind at the precise moment. Being all caught up in the emotion, she didn't mind her footing, tripped and fell.

BeccaLynn07 10-01-2005 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Australian
If this is actually what happened, it is very disturbing that Charles went out for his walk, he must have been concerned at least, after all it is his child she was carrying. The whole marriage just seems like a nightmare. Things must have been really bad if Diana allegedly wanted to commit suicide, but there are two sides to every story, maybe Diana was very difficult to live with and Charles needed time for his own to breathe. I guess we will never know.

I completely agree. We'll never know for sure what happened. (JMO)

Jackswife 10-01-2005 04:40 PM

Diana's moodiness and emotional instability were probably present long before her marriage, and the fact that she was so young and immature, married to the heir and thrust into a high-pressure environment, combined to produce some very bad results. I don't think she would have ever intentionally hurt either son but at the time of this incident I think she was basically trying to get attention from Charles, and thus this stumble became a "suicide attempt". I don't think the Palace staffers and advisors really knew how to deal with Diana's problems but it doesn't seem likely they would have been idle had she really meant to kill herself or the baby. Diana had positive qualities but also a lot of neediness and manipulation, and how she described this to Andrew Morton was symbolic of that manipulative quality.

lashinka2002 10-11-2005 12:18 PM

I don't see how throwing yourself down 3 stairs can be considered a serious attempt at suicide. It seems someone is overexagerating.

Harry's polo shirt 10-11-2005 01:43 PM

Someone said that the doctor who saw her, after her fall, said that she was bruised (in or on her womb)...was that a rumor? I don't remember were I heard or read that from...I don't see how falling down three stairs-being only a few months pregnant-could bruise you like that.

maryshawn 10-19-2005 10:09 PM

Yes, I've read in several books, she had bruising around her abdomen, which really doesn't add up after a fall down three stairs. Diana is/was an enigma and a lot of what she said/did really was manipulative; she was the ultimate "spin-meister." Toward the end of her life, she seemed to be coming to terms with things and didn't feel the need to do so anymore but I simply can't reconcile her love for her boys and caring about others with stories like this one and her pushing Raine down the stairs. Strikes me as incredibly immature and the hallmarks of someone who was definitely psychologically ill. In the end, the boys suffer the most....and that is the greatest tragedy of all.

Tzu An 10-19-2005 11:26 PM

< ed Warren >
Remember Diana pretended to like all the things Charles did just so she woiuld snag him in matrimony. She also wanted him to sacrifice all his interests and friends just so he would have time to devote to her and her only. < ed Warren >. Diana wanted constant excitement and thrills, which was a manifestation of her disordered mind. Her mind was unstable so as a result she created an unstable atmosphere that she thrived on. I believe she liked Dodi since he could spend all his time with her as much as she wanted. If her significant others had jobs that took up a lot of their time, then she was unhappy. Many successful men don't want someone who wants to spend every minute with them since they usually have duties that they enjoy that end up taking a lot of their time.

maryshawn 10-21-2005 10:39 PM

I think you summed it up very, very well! Diana did thrive on dramas and while she was attracted to rich, powerful men it is rare to find such men who have the time and energy to drop everything and devote themselves exclusively to any one individual.Dodi was good for her in that regard but their devotion to Diana was all they really had in common. It wouldn't have lasted.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tzu An
Remember Diana pretended to like all the things Charles did...


msleiman 05-23-2006 12:25 PM

It just does not add up. How could falling down 3 steps hurt somone that bad. Maybe your foot or leg. It is just the by the grace of God that the boys turned out so well.

Duchess 05-24-2006 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tzu An
Remember Diana pretended to like all the things Charles did...

i always wondered about this "suicide attempt" as well. i highly doubt that throwing ones self down the stairs would be an option anyone would pick if they wanted to end their lives. you're more likely to do physical damage than kill yourself.

i wonder, if she were still alive, would she ever have gone to get therapy for her emotional problems?

Lady Jean 05-25-2006 10:01 AM

She did go to therapy for awhile. I believe she gave up on it because she said no one could understand her situation. And of course we know in her last years she tried all sorts of things: acupuncture, psychic,etc.

PreDoc 06-06-2006 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lady Jean
She did go to therapy for awhile. I believe she gave up on it because she said no one could understand her situation. And of course we know in her last years she tried all sorts of things: acupuncture, psychic,etc.



From what I have read she was plagued by severely deep-rooted mental problems though and, sure, non-traditional alternatives can be part of a plan for a patient with her state of mind, but she probably needed intensive medical attention around the clock along with antipsychotic medication ... which it seems she did not get for whatever reason.

Duchess 06-06-2006 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PreDoc
From what I have read she was plagued by severely deep-rooted mental problems though and, sure, non-traditional alternatives can be part of a plan for a patient with her state of mind, but she probably needed intensive medical attention around the clock along with antipsychotic medication ... which it seems she did not get for whatever reason.

i'm no doctor but i don't think diana was psychotic. she was definitely depressed. whether she needed therapy or medication to control it, or both, we'll never know.

Elspeth 06-06-2006 09:52 PM

Indeed. A person who was in need of, but jot getting, round-the-clock mental health care wouldn't have been able to function as well as Diana did. I think armchair diagnoses of psychosis are very dubious. I'm sure, when more information is available in the future, that we may get some clarification about what her problems actually were; until then, there's enough disagreement among authors writing about her that it seems premature to be making diagnoses.

Katemac63 06-08-2006 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elspeth
Indeed. A person who was in need of, but jot getting, round-the-clock mental health care wouldn't have been able to function as well as Diana did. I think armchair diagnoses of psychosis are very dubious. I'm sure, when more information is available in the future, that we may get some clarification about what her problems actually were; until then, there's enough disagreement among authors writing about her that it seems premature to be making diagnoses.

:) Diana's problem, dear Elspeth, was the mistress!! The woman who would not go away to allow the marriage to continue in a happy sense. She 9 the mistress) clung for dear life, to the wimpy prince...

ysbel 06-08-2006 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katemac63
:) Diana's problem, dear Elspeth, was the mistress!! The woman who would not go away to allow the marriage to continue in a happy sense. She 9 the mistress) clung for dear life, to the wimpy prince...

Diana's problems were more than the mistress but its a stretch of the imagination to call her psychotic.

PreDoc 06-08-2006 05:08 PM

Diana was such an extremist though ... why in the world would a woman flip out when a rich man that is not even attractive loses interest? If she had just been properly medicated and played by the rules she could have been Queen and perhaps still alive today living the life of a goddess.

Katemac63 06-09-2006 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PreDoc
Diana was such an extremist though ... why in the world would a woman flip out when a rich man that is not even attractive loses interest? If she had just been properly medicated and played by the rules she could have been Queen and perhaps still alive today living the life of a goddess.

Properly medicated? -- No I do agree the marriage was a grave mistake. Had Diana NOT become Mrs. charles Windsor, she would have been alive today!

Warren 06-09-2006 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katemac63
...I do agree the marriage was a grave mistake. Had Diana NOT become Mrs. Charles Windsor, she would have been alive today!

'Yes' on the first point, 'probably' on the second. But then if she hadn't been HRH The Princess of Wales, chances are we would never have known of her. Without the mystique of Royalty she would more than likely have remained a relatively unknown aristocrat. Fate and circumstance work in mysterious ways; none of us could have forseen a sudden, untimely and shocking death in a Paris car tunnel while pursued by paparazzi. Not for the first time, fame ultimately carried a terrible price.

Lovelydiana 07-03-2006 12:09 PM

In my opinion this subject always leaves me questioning which source is more accurate? I do believe Mrton's statement to be true because Diana did have her interview taped when she talked about her life to James Colhurst for Morton to hear. But I also that the incident of her trying to kill herself by throwing herself down the stairs may have been blown out of proportion. Diana did say and many others have said that iana Her True Strooy was like a cry for help she needed someone to listen and hear her side of the story. She knew she wouldn't lose the baby and I think that when she did throw herself down the stairs Diana was very depressed adn she was confused scared and trying to fit into the royal family. I think Diana became overwhelmed by everything becoming a mother, an international celebrity and a royal pincess all in one year!!!!! Anybody in that position woud have cracked a little. I have a lot of respect for Diana for managing to stay strong when her own family that she married into was, as she felt distant and cold towards her.

Australian 07-03-2006 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lovelydiana
In my opinion this subject always leaves me questioning which source is more accurate? .

That's why I avoid reading things about Diana in particular because you just don't know if the writer or witness is telling the truth, or just saying anything to make a dollar. Especially with Diana and Charles because there are two camps- her friends and his friends and the motives of authors and witnesses are not trustworthy for both camps in my opinion.

Lovelydiana 07-04-2006 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Australian
her friends and his friends and the motives of authors and witnesses are not trustworthy for both camps in my opinion.

I agree Australian with that. It is hard to know who to believe.

TheTruth 04-17-2007 05:44 PM

Diana wasn't mad. She was just too young to marry Charles (look at William and Kate, they are 25 and after 4 years they broke up ...). I think she was waiting for so much affection (maybe because her mother didn't really gave it to her ...). Charles, who was toughly educated, simply didn't knew how to comfort her and show the affection she wanted. In a relationship, both are "responsible" for the sadness they cause to each other. Maybe it was an act of despair or a simple accident, we will never know. In any case, Charles couldn't hate Diana, his wife, at a point to stay indifferent to her sadness. IMO he really tried to make her happy and Diana tried to BE happy but what they endured in their childhood (for Diana a mother a little alcoholic and for Charles a very strict education) may have touched them more deeply than they thought.

sirhon11234 04-17-2007 06:08 PM

I couldn't have said it better myself.:flowers:

Avalon 04-17-2007 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheTruth
Diana wasn't mad. She was just too young to marry Charles (look at William and Kate, they are 25 and after 4 years they broke up ...). I think she was waiting for so much affection (maybe because her mother didn't really gave it to her ...). Charles, who was toughly educated, simply didn't knew how to comfort her and show the affection she wanted. In a relationship, both are "responsible" for the sadness they cause to each other. Maybe it was an act of despair or a simple accident, we will never know. In any case, Charles couldn't hate Diana, his wife, at a point to stay indifferent to her sadness. IMO he really tried to make her happy and Diana tried to BE happy but what they endured in their childhood (for Diana a mother a little alcoholic and for Charles a very strict education) may have touched them more deeply than they thought.

Very well put, TheTruth! :flowers:
I completely agree with you on basically all points. Marriage is a game of two and it takes the will of both sides to manage a successful one.

acdc1 04-17-2007 07:07 PM

i think diana was a good number of things when she threw herself down the stairs, and after as well.

She was depressed, who knows what about, she had so many bad things going on at that time. the hormones from her pregnancy may have contributed as well. She probably already had the deep-rooted phsychological problems, and was maybe even a little mentally ill. she needed love, care, and help, and she just wasn't getting it from charles or anybody else.

MARG 04-17-2007 10:43 PM

I believe "the fall" was an accidental trip down two or three stairs. She would have had to have been psychotic to try to commit suicide in such a way. She would never have risked damaging or loosing her child, injuring herself severely or even killing herself.

At that time Diana was a force to be reckoned with, and she knew it. Even she herself was ambiguous as to the "facts" as her notes to Andrew Morton versus her later interviews showed.

IMO it was nothing more than an unplanned temper tantrum that could have been a lot worse than it was. It did, however, in later retelling, become a club with which to beat Charles.

Such are the basis for one of the many myths and fables of this lady's life.

tenngirl 04-17-2007 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARG
I believe "the fall" was an accidental trip down two or three stairs. She would have had to have been psychotic to try to commit suicide in such a way. She would never have risked damaging or loosing her child, injuring herself severely or even killing herself.

At that time Diana was a force to be reckoned with, and she knew it. Even she herself was ambiguous as to the "facts" as her notes to Andrew Morton versus her later interviews showed.

Marg,
Why was she a force to be reckoned with? Because she was pregnant with the heir?
Tenngirl

MARG 04-18-2007 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tenngirl
Marg,
Why was she a force to be reckoned with? Because she was pregnant with the heir?
Tenngirl

By the time Diana was pregnant for the first time she was already a 'superstar'. She had an adoring public that watched every move she made, every dress she wore, every hat, every hair style. Every little thing she did was plastered over the pages of the adoring Tabloids and Women's magazines. She was a walking fashion icon and being pregnant just meant 'pregnancy' fashion = more money etc.

To be honest, I don't think she really even understood the power she had, at that time.

Having met her briefly I was amazed at the sheer charisma she exuded. To this day I have never seen a photograph of her that came close to capturing the breathtaking beauty of her smile and it's irresistable magnetism. Men, irrespective of age or status just seemed to be reduced to gaping adoring puppydogs. Women either wanted to adopt her or emulate her.

All in all, pretty potent stuff. The stuff that dreams are made of, and everyone wanted to be part of that dream.

Suonymona 04-22-2007 06:35 AM

According to the new Tina Brown book, Diana accidentally stumbled and the whole "suicide fall" was a story for Morton's book; one that was changed from HM the Queen finding her to the Queen Mother to avoid problems.

NOT my opinion, just what Tina Brown is now claiming.

TheTruth 04-26-2007 01:05 PM

Here's one part of the documentary "the Secret Tapes" where Diana talk about that fall :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIHf97m1UiA

In that declaration, she says that she actually threw herself down the stairs ...

sassie 04-26-2007 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheTruth
Here's one part of the documentary "the Secret Tapes" where Diana talk about that fall :
In that declaration, she says that she actually threw herself down the stairs ...

Yes, but at the time, she will still perpetuating the myths in the Morton book. At a later date, she told friends that she had slipped, which was more likely the truth. The maternal instinct to protect the child within is very strong.

In any case, as one eyewitness later said-it wasn't a flight of stairs. It was three wide, shallow steps. Whether she slipped intentionally or accidentally, it wasn't as nearly as dramatic an event as hurling herself headfirst down an entire flight of stairs. As a suicide attempt, it's a non starter-I can't imagine anyone would think they could commit suicide falling down three steps.

TheTruth 04-28-2007 09:32 AM

Thanks Sassie for the info :flowers: . I was thinking of something like this but it was still a little confused in my head :wacko: .

hibou 04-28-2007 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katemac63
Properly medicated? -- No I do agree the marriage was a grave mistake. Had Diana NOT become Mrs. charles Windsor, she would have been alive today!

Yes she probably would still be alive but she would still have problems although she would have been able to get help sooner than she did.

HRH Kimetha 04-28-2007 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sassie
The maternal instinct to protect the child within is very strong. .

Sometimes, though, when a psychological ill mother sees or feels that what she may be carrying is more important than she is through her own perception, she will "use" the unborne child as a manipulative means to get what she wants; therefore, she gains power through the unborne child, especially an heir to a throne.

sassie 04-28-2007 01:36 PM

Yes, but in this case, by her own admission, she didn't. She said that several times. She said it to Rosa Monckton, she said to Lucia Flecha de Lima, she said to Lana Marks...she said it to several people who have all gone on record to say that she said it. She slipped down three steps. I recall it when it happened-it was not the huge event that it has since been made out to be. She was being far more manipulative-and making a much stronger attempt to gain power over Charles-by dramatizing the event to Andrew Morton than she was in 1981.

The "suicide attempts" that Diana reported to Andrew Morton have to be taken with a grain of salt.

HRH Kimetha 04-28-2007 01:44 PM

I agree with you, Sassie. I was commenting on the "maternal instinct" that sometimes the "maternal instinct" givens way to manipulation of the mother to get something.:smile:

sassie 04-28-2007 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HRH Kimetha
I agree with you, Sassie. I was commenting on the "maternal instinct" that sometimes the "maternal instinct" givens way to manipulation of the mother to get something.:smile:

Well, that's true, although it generally doesn't involve doing something that might cost the life of the unborn child. :flowers:

Lovelydiana 06-22-2007 12:32 PM

Yes I also agreee it hass also been said in a book called Diana: IN Pravte The Princess Nobody Knows Lady Colin Campbell has also said that her attepts to slit her wrists were also not true because she was in the public eye so much adn if she had hurt herself in that wat the public would have seen it.

ghost_night554 05-29-2008 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sassie (Post 602864)
Yes, but in this case, by her own admission, she didn't. She said that several times. She said it to Rosa Monckton, she said to Lucia Flecha de Lima, she said to Lana Marks...she said it to several people who have all gone on record to say that she said it. She slipped down three steps. I recall it when it happened-it was not the huge event that it has since been made out to be. She was being far more manipulative-and making a much stronger attempt to gain power over Charles-by dramatizing the event to Andrew Morton than she was in 1981.

The "suicide attempts" that Diana reported to Andrew Morton have to be taken with a grain of salt.

Do you know a link where I could find an article or something of them talking about it?:flowers:

Duchess 05-29-2008 06:03 PM

so right. statistically speaking, there's a couple of other things - suicide attempts aren't carried out in the presence of others and throwing yourself down the stairs is unlikely to be successful as a means of ending one's life and even if it were, women don't normally choose a method so "violent" (for lack of a better word). diana's "attempts" were a cry for attention.

ghost_night554 05-30-2008 02:17 AM

I still can't see how she cut herself wouldn't the marks have shown on photos?

Mermaid1962 06-07-2008 01:59 PM

Cuts on her legs and torso could have been hidden except when she was in a bathing suit, and in that case the photographers couldn't get too close. It would be interesting to look at photos and see whether there were times when her evening gowns had her particularly covered up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghost_night554 (Post 773203)
I still can't see how she cut herself wouldn't the marks have shown on photos?


ghost_night554 06-07-2008 04:04 PM

hmmm true I never thought about that I think I remember reading an article on dailymail from Sarah Bradford's book and she mentioned that the cuts would show on the pictures but now that I think about it your right.

Skydragon 06-07-2008 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghost_night554 (Post 776232)
hmmm true I never thought about that I think I remember reading an article on dailymail from Sarah Bradford's book and she mentioned that the cuts would show on the pictures but now that I think about it your right.

Even shallow cuts would probably have left scarring, none of which seems to be visible on any of the photo's published in the media, of Diana in sleeveless outfits, swimsuits and bikinis. Scars do not always tan over and make up would be ineffective if swimming or diving. :flowers:

pinkie40 06-07-2008 09:48 PM

Diana tended to exaggerate when it got her sympathy for the difficult corners she found herself in every now and then. She was not a fully integrated personality in an old fashioned system full of protocol and rules teamed with a narcissitic husband who was in love with someone else.

A rough spot for anyone to find themselves in so I am sure Diana's anxiety and comfort levels were not what they should have been.

So what matters is what Diana interpreted the situation to be.

Now whether it was a full fledged, dramatic tumble and roll down an exquisite and ancient staircase or if was merely a slip of a few steps, only the witnesses know the truth and they haven't decided to clear up the mess, probably out of a lot of guilt, imo.

Elspeth 06-07-2008 09:56 PM

From sassie's post, it appears that at least one eyewitness has given an account of what happened, and it doesn't seem to tally with the Princess's story, at least the one she told Morton.

Mermaid1962 06-08-2008 12:56 AM

I'm thinking that she would have got medical help very soon after cutting herself. She was The Princess of Wales and so was seldom, if ever, really alone. If the cuts were fairly superficial, they would have healed okay as long as they were taken care of soon after occuring. I had some cuts after a car accident, and the only scar that I have is a cut that I didn't know about until I'd gotten home and undressed for bed.:flowers:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skydragon (Post 776250)
Even shallow cuts would probably have left scarring, none of which seems to be visible on any of the photo's published in the media, of Diana in sleeveless outfits, swimsuits and bikinis. Scars do not always tan over and make up would be ineffective if swimming or diving. :flowers:


Duchess 06-08-2008 01:44 PM

i remember the cutting stories but i don't recall her saying that she cut herself anywhere other than her chest and torso. the reason the the chest and torso areas stand out is because i remember immediately thinking that she couldn't have been making any serious attempts. did she actually say that she cut herself on her arms and legs?

ghost_night554 06-08-2008 04:35 PM

^I'm trying to think wasn't the legs cutting the one she supposedly did with a pen according to the tapes or am I thinking of the wrong one.

Quote:

Even shallow cuts would probably have left scarring, none of which seems to be visible on any of the photo's published in the media, of Diana in sleeveless outfits, swimsuits and bikinis. Scars do not always tan over and make up would be ineffective if swimming or diving.
That's true as well, ok now I'm confused lol

Quote:

From sassie's post, it appears that at least one eyewitness has given an account of what happened, and it doesn't seem to tally with the Princess's story, at least the one she told Morton.
ya and sassie also said her friends have gone on the record about it, although I can't find any articles anywhere of them talking about it, only Bradford's book mentions that the story was actually different then what she told Morton.

cait 06-16-2008 02:13 AM

The Morton book version of what happened has always sounded odd to me. A bruised stomach? What did she do, fall right onto her stomach? Neat trick, knowing how to do that & knowing the baby wouldn't be lost.

It always sounded like exagerration, as do the slitting wrists claims. Is it Colin Campnell's book where there's a claim she once tried cutting herself with a grater or a fruit peeler or something? Seems these were cries for help but never serious self-inury.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises