The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997) (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f38/)
-   -   Why do you like Diana? (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f38/why-do-you-like-diana-7271.html)

juliamontague 09-16-2005 10:17 AM

Why do you like Diana?

Hi,
In our German lessons we're talking about Myths at the moment.
Our school book tells about several myths (greek myths...), but also about Diana.
Our teacher asked us why the people love(d) Diana so much. And we could think about this at the weekend.
I thought the best thing would be to ask the people who love Diana, so I ask you.

Why do you love Diana?
When did it begin?
Doy ou think she is a myth?

Thanks
Julia

sara1981 09-16-2005 11:44 AM

im learn about her since she died in 1997 and im collection of her for 8 years but she very glamorous Princess and i have her magazine in scrapbooks with Prince Charles and Duchess of Cornwall both in scrapbooks also and i read books about her of her life and her marriages to Prince Charles,birth of Prince William&Prince Harry,Divorces,donation of her frocker dresses,falling in love with Dodi since her divorces to Prince of Wales and death in Paris,France.

and im wishes she was here and i never met her before and i did met Prince of Wales at Prince's trust but he nice man and charming.

im collection magazine from my Aunt she have it and i got magazine from my old school have it and i buy magazine from stores also! and lots of more from member who dont wanted to kept of magazine about Princess Diana but i like to kept magazine about her but i got magazine from australia one of my member send me about Diana and some Camilla,Charles but i never went Australia no!

Sara Boyce

sesa 09-16-2005 02:25 PM

Wow! what a question. I will be very suprised if you do not get a huge & varied response from this.
Let me begin with this: What I feel about Diana is not love. For me personally, love is reserved for people that I personally know. Since I did not know Diana, what I feel for her is "respect". I have/had the utmost repect for her. She was the epitomy of "class".
I think it started when all the news started coming out about her eating disorders, suicide attempts, news about her marriage. Giving the privledged life that she had, she could have sunk even further and blamed it on everyone around her, but she realized what she had and decided to use it for good causes. I think her biggest achievment was with AIDS. She herself showed the world that it was o.k. to touch, hug, hold hands with someone that is suffering from this horrible disease, and that by doing so, you would not become infected. I mention this, because at the time she did this, people were not as informed about it as they are now, and all these people were being left to die on their own with no one around because of the fear of contracting the disease. She also did this with people with other diseases. Her compassion for sick people & older people was endless. Her compassion came from the heart. It was not just some sort of form of charity work. She generally wanted to help, and she used her Title and image for these purposes.
As for being a "myth" I do not think she is one. Like "movie legends" I think her life and what she has left behind will be more percieved as a legend rather than a myth.
Hope this helps. :)

iowabelle 09-16-2005 02:50 PM

I was just drawn to her the first time I saw her in 1981. Can't explain it.

I don't think she's a myth. There's been too much "tell all." But I think I like her better for hearing that she wasn't a saint and knowing that she had problems. I probably could have talked to Diana with problems more than a princess who knew nothing more than the names of her favorite designers.

tiaraprin 09-16-2005 03:19 PM

I have loved Diana since she became engaged to Prince Charles in February 1981. I was totally taken aback by a young girl who was going to be transformed into a Princess when she married Prince Charles that July day. My love and admiration has only grown throughout her life, her tragic death, and the ensuing years.

Diana, despite her faults, was a truly caring human being who could reach the masses and act just as the ordinary people do on the street. She truly cared about helping people and patronized charities that put her in direct conflict with the courtiers such as AIDS. When she shook the hand of an AIDS sufferer without gloves on, she taught the world more than any doctor could have written about how one becomes infected. She helped the homeless, battered women, terminally ill children, and victims of landmines. Her selfless dedication is to be admired.

Diana was also a very good mother to her sons William and Harry. She showed William and Harry the world outside of the cocoon of royalty. She took them to hospital wards and homelessness projects. She taught them that not everyone in the world has a country home and a range rover. She made them wait in line at fast food places just like everyone else--no special treatment. She showered them with love so they would never grow up as she did--feeling unwanted and unloved.

Diana stood up for women everywhere by not accepting a sham of a marriage and made it abundantly clear she was not going to tolerate it. While her husband's affair did drive her to seek affection elsewhere, Diana wanted to blow the whistle on the immoral, secret ways of a royal/aristocratic marriage.
She made mistakes in this area, but still managed to convey to women everywhere that they deserved to be loved, cherished, and treated with respect by men. It is a lesson I carry close to my heart.

Non-Diana fans will say she was manipulative and vengeful. To be honest, I can understand why she would be vengeful with the husband she got and what he did!! I say good for you Diana!! Maybe Charles learned a lesson from this debacle, but I highly doubt it. Charles got his cake and is eating it too, which disgusts me to no end! My consolation is that Diana will haunt him and his wife for the rest of their lives. They won't escape her legacy.

Diana is not a myth when all is said and done. She was a flesh and blood human being who tried to do the best she could. Her life was splashed all over, so there really is no enigmatic factor. What she leaves behind is a legacy of a woman who grew up, did fantastic work, and tried to change the monarchy from its stuffy distance from the people.

sara1981 09-16-2005 10:54 PM

Agree with Tiaraprin

i would agree with you! Diana is still in legacy! and she never forgotten and many people loves Princess Diana very much and people hold the signs at Prince Charles and Camilla's wedding they talking about Diana wont forget about it but i would agree it! but Diana is still Queen of hearts and she is still Princess of hearts.

Sara Boyce

Zonk 09-17-2005 02:27 AM

Why do I like Diana? Wow! What a question...I have been trying to explain that for years to many friends and family.

Growing up I was not your normal child of the late 70's/early 80's growing up in the DC area. My parents taught me the love of reading and thru my reading I found myself intrigued by the British monarchy. One day in February of 1981, I found an article in the Washington Post about the engagement of the Prince of Wales and Lady Diana Spencer. Of course they pushed a fairy tale story (but who knew then what we know now) and I couldn't get enough of her! I read every article, magazine, watched every 20/20 special (no Primetime, Dateline back then) I could get my hands on. Got at the crack of dawn (in the summer no less) to watch the wedding. I was hooked! Heck...even the Archbishop said that this was the dream/stuff that fairytales were made of. At that time, Diana represented all that was good in the world. The idea that everyone could find their "Prince" their soulmate and love could get you thru the trials and tribuations of life. Remember in 1981, although we had had major wars, poverty, civil rights movement, etc....it was still a simpler time. There was no concept of using a plane as weapon, or putting a bomb on a double decker bus or a train...at least not in the US. That was not my reality.

As the years went by and I got older, I still followed her life..the births of her children, the death of her father, her problems in her marriage,the his and her affairs, the divorce, etc. It was like we grew uptogether. We (and I use the term loosely) realized that life wasn't always a fairy tale. Things didn't turn out the way you planned. As Erma Bombeck used to say, "if life is a bowl of cherries...then why am I always getting the pits."

Her death was a tremendous shock to me. My mother's generation can say they knew where they were when Kennedy got shot, I can say the same about Diana and when the towers fell. It was like a loss of innocence. I found myself in the same position as 1981, I read everything about her (now we had the internet..so there was more material) and watched every program about her life. I also got up early (again the crack of dawn) to watch her funeral. I taped her funeral..and to this day I haven't watched it. I remember my roomate, knocking on my door to make sure I was okay...cause I was sobbing.

Truthfully, when I look back at that time. I am not really surprised that she died so young. Looking back its like she knew she had a short time on this earth so she had to make the most of her time here. It wasn't all she thought it would be (the ups and downs) but it was something.

Do I consider Diana a myth. Not at all. According to Webster's dictionary, a myth is one embodying the ideals and institutions of a society or segment of society. So in that respect, she wasn't one. At least not in my book. I would say she was more of a legend, but according to Webster's a legend is one embodying the ideals and institutions of a society or segment of society or one who inspires legends. So maybe she is that to some. But not to me.

I like Diana because she was a flawed woman. And she knew it. She represents some of the best and worst traits of humanity. The best because she was a good humaniatarian (not in a Mother Theresa kind of way) and a great mother. The worst because she could be manipulative and cunning, but I think she acted in such a way when threatened. And truthfully, I don't believe she was understood by the family she married into and she didn't understand them. Above all, she taught me that if you don't love yourself (but not in a selfish kind of way) how can you expect anyone else to love you? Life is too short to be mad over silly things and if you have something to say (good or bad) than it needs to be said. But not in a mean, vindictive way but more of setting the record straight. Also, if life isn't going the way you thought would be...there is no need to give up..their are different roads to take. And finally, life isn't about just aging in terms of getting older each year. but more maturing as an adult and accepting the consequences of your actions. Her life lessons aided me in becoming a better person. Although, I probably should give my parents some credit as well :)

juliamontague 09-18-2005 06:05 AM

Thanks for all your answers.
Julia

emily62_1 09-19-2005 01:47 AM

I love Diana to bits.

hard to say why.... I think that , apart from the fact she was so beautiful, but was not a bit conscious of this, apart frm the fact that she was also, as we say in my country , " beautiful inside", not at all agressive, but very humble, down to earth, I do believe she really cared for the homeless, the AiDS victims etc. and that's amazing for a girl born in a wealthy ,noble Family, who has married the Prince of Wales, who then belonged to the RF,- 1 would just think- how come she did care?????????- i think that she had suffered so much when her mum left her and home when she was only 6, she remembered the footsteps of her mum leaving the house many years after.... this makes me so sad for her, if she had not been frail, she would have not cared for her hubby not loving her, but another woman, but she craved for love.... and she never found it..... and last, a Princess, beautiful, loved by ppl, glamorous, loved so much her own kids and did want other kids by Charles, she longed for a baby girl, all these things, and her pros with food, her emotional problems, the fact that she was so lonely that she relied in the butler, and the fact that her own mum did not care for her, not her bro or her 2 sis, well, this is why I love Diana to bits, OMG, I forgot that she died a horrible death at only 36.....;) :) :confused: :)

Margrethe II 09-19-2005 02:17 AM

I was in grade 6 of Primary School when Diana, Princess of Wales was tragically killed, so I had grown up seeing this lady on TV, in magazines etc. I noticed how much she was admired for her beauty and warmth. I dont think there is any one reason why I, like millions of other Australians adored Diana. She was everyone's Princess and in one way or another she touched us all. Maybe it was her sincerity, sense of fun, that smile and infectious laugh? If I could give a certain answer I would.

I miss not seeing Diana on the news, or at functions & magazines.

"MII"

sara1981 09-19-2005 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margrethe II
I was in grade 6 of Primary School when Diana, Princess of Wales was tragically killed, so I had grown up seeing this lady on TV, in magazines etc. I noticed how much she was admired for her beauty and warmth. I dont think there is any one reason why I, like millions of other Australians adored Diana. She was everyone's Princess and in one way or another she touched us all. Maybe it was her sincerity, sense of fun, that smile and infectious laugh? If I could give a certain answer I would.

I miss not seeing Diana on the news, or at functions & magazines.

"MII"

like many people who love CP Mary lots! also but i would agree but Princess Diana is popular Princess and also Mary too!

i would agree with you!

Sara Boyce

sara1981 09-19-2005 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emily62_1
hard to say why.... I think that , apart from the fact she was so beautiful, but was not a bit conscious of this, apart frm the fact that she was also, as we say in my country , " beautiful inside", not at all agressive, but very humble, down to earth, I do believe she really cared for the homeless, the AiDS victims etc. and that's amazing for a girl born in a wealthy ,noble Family, who has married the Prince of Wales, who then belonged to the RF,- 1 would just think- how come she did care?????????- i think that she had suffered so much when her mum left her and home when she was only 6, she remembered the footsteps of her mum leaving the house many years after.... this makes me so sad for her, if she had not been frail, she would have not cared for her hubby not loving her, but another woman, but she craved for love.... and she never found it..... and last, a Princess, beautiful, loved by ppl, glamorous, loved so much her own kids and did want other kids by Charles, she longed for a baby girl, all these things, and her pros with food, her emotional problems, the fact that she was so lonely that she relied in the butler, and the fact that her own mum did not care for her, not her bro or her 2 sis, well, this is why I love Diana to bits, OMG, I forgot that she died a horrible death at only 36.....;) :) :confused: :)

i would agree with you!

i think Prince Charles wanted baby daughter really bad and Princess Diana at birth they found out its another BOY! and both got disappointment for girls but Diana wanted more add children like her siblings but Diana wanted married to pakistan and have baby girls but i do believe her!

Sara Boyce

sofia 09-23-2005 10:17 AM

I love princess Diana, she is the princess of the heart. even if she died,
she stayed in our heart. i love her too much. I am from Morocco.

Mahoogie 09-23-2005 10:40 AM

When I was a child,I was a fairy tale fan.I like stories about princesses like sleeping beauty,cinderella etc..I got interested in Princess Diana when I started seeing her pics from Australian tabloids.I was just a lttle girl then, and got fascinated with the fact that there are real-life princesses exist in this world.I thought it was just a legend or fantasy.From then, I started to get interested about the princess' life..Diana became my heroin and she was the only princess that I've known and cared for even if I didnt met her in person..There is something in her that makes the people like her.Of course no one can please everybody and so was the princess, but Diana made a mark that made many people appreciate her be it in fashion,motherhood, most especially-the work for humanity..

sara1981 09-23-2005 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahoogie
When I was a child,I was a fairy tale fan.I like stories about princesses like sleeping beauty,cinderella etc..I got interested in Princess Diana when I started seeing her pics from Australian tabloids.I was just a lttle girl then, and got fascinated with the fact that there are real-life princesses exist in this world.I thought it was just a legend or fantasy.From then, I started to get interested about the princess' life..Diana became my heroin and she was the only princess that I've known and cared for even if I didnt met her in person..There is something in her that makes the people like her.Of course no one can please everybody and so was the princess, but Diana made a mark that made many people appreciate her be it in fashion,motherhood, most especially-the work for humanity..

me too!

i like Princesses video includes the Little Mermaid,Cinderella and lots of more! when i was little girls i watch princesses movies also but im wishes i would become Princess one days or become Crown Princess one day no matters for me if my family would like me to become Royals im hope so!

Sara Boyce

Idriel 09-23-2005 02:54 PM

Hello Julia.
I would not say I love Diana, but I deeply admire certain aspects of her life (more of that later).

First I want to say that I think she is a myth. A modern myth. Old-fashioned myths cannot possibly exist because of how intrusive the media have become. Just look at the books who have been published about Marylin Monroe (another myth) in recent years. They are far more graphics and intrusive that anything that has been published during her lifetime.

That said, what I admire in Di is how she used the myth(s) created around her public persona to promote great causes (AIDS, landmines, homeless, ...) and make a real difference.
I don't really care for her personal battles (bulimia, depression, etc.) because I was a little kid when all that was mediated, and did not read any magazine at the time.
I really heard about her for the first time when she died. I remember I was on holiday with my family and everybody was totally upset. I was also affected by that, it was all over the radio and TV, 24 hours a day. I remember discovering her stunning face (she was at the top of her beauty when she died) and seeing universal demonstrations of grief and emotion. It was very powerful, even my dad bought Elton's song (something he would never admit today). It's a weird way of being introduced to someone, because after her death all reports shown her as a saint. I kept this image of her for a long time, and I think a lot of people never grown out of it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiaraprin
Non-Diana fans will say she was manipulative and vengeful.

IMO when talking about Di, it's important to distinguish what she was, what she wanted the public to believe she was, and what the media made of her.

Anyway, on the whole, I like her a great deal, like when you have a lot of affection for someone you know is flawed but capable of extraordinary good things.
And pro or not, the attention she still gets today proves she was a truly fascinating woman.

Harry's polo shirt 09-25-2005 02:26 PM

This is suprisingly difficult to answer, there is so much to say about why I like her. I can't get my thoughts in order. I guess the main reason is because of her love. She didn't fake her way through charity events like some other royals do. She adored her children and didn't let anyone else raise them, she understood her role as mother. That role did not end with Will and Harry, she held children she didn't know and you could see the sincerity in her eyes.

Reina 09-27-2005 01:21 AM

Well I like Diana b/c she was a survivor and a strong person even in the face of all she went through. She made alot of mistakes and had to grow up alot, but at the end of her life she was a more mature and level person. Also she learned to forgive ppl who had trespassed against her. She learned from her own trespasses. She was a shining star who set the precedent of her time. There will not be another Diana. SHe had a unique role. However she, as well as her role, are quite ambiguous to me. That is one of the main reasons why I like Diana so much. She was unique, ambiguous, and peculiar. Not a saint, but someone who help to bring alot of change in the RF and the world. Peculiar ppl are subject to alot of animosity from ppl and when they fall, they fall hard. She overcame huge obstacles and she made huge mistakes of which coudl be an example to all to not emulate. However she did get up again and made a big difference in the world.

maryshawn 10-23-2005 02:45 PM

Like others, I was intrigued by Diana since the wedding; it indeed looked like a "fairytale." Then, I became even more intrigued when things did not turn out perfectly and she became a more "real" person who had to contend with all of the things we all go through--unrequited love, raising children, work and balance, starting over,..... Any mythological status she has would be the fact her death at such a young age came as such a shock. I admire her profoundly for her simple yet highly effective ways of demonstrating to the world AIDS is not something to be shunned and you can shake hands and hug those with leprosy without catching it. Her walks through the landmine fields were equally effective. She later said she had been terrified but she put herself on the line for the causes she cared about. People who knew her or met her or saw the impact she had on the sick and dying said it was remarkable how "terminally ill people would hang on to see her" and "she never disappointed." She had an aura about her, which was quite special and unique, and for someone who often felt hopeless in her own life, she inspired a great deal of hope in others. I don't think we will see anyone like her for a long time.

Sammy 10-23-2005 03:55 PM

What a great question, with a HUGE answer!!
I was 14 when she married Charles, and I remember thinking "why would she marry that old guy?" My mother has always collected on the Queen and Princess Margaret, so I guess it was a way to relate to her.
As the years passed I came to admire Diana on her own merits. To me, she is the classic example of the saying "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade" I think Diana made a lot of "lemonade" and shared it with others.

james 10-23-2005 08:02 PM

She had so much yet gave so much back. I can't think of anyone in public life who does that now.

CasiraghiTrio 10-23-2005 11:57 PM

I like Diana because it was so easy (effortless, really) to relate to her. Just looking at her, just seeing her, how could anyone not feel that overpowering wave of compassion? As a beauty, she was not perfect, but somehow she was totally amazing, ethereal even. the only person in history who compares to Diana was Jackie. People say, "Oh but Mother Teresa did more, gave up more!" But that is relative! Because MT did not give up HERSELF. Diana was a walking, talking Emotion. Unlike Charles and William, and like Harry, she left herself open and vunerable. That's why I like Diana. because she was real.

tiaraprin 10-24-2005 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by james
She had so much yet gave so much back. I can't think of anyone in public life who does that now.

And how soon so many people forget and turn their backs on what she achieved. It makes me sick to my stomach.

princess olga 10-24-2005 02:16 AM

One of her major assets, I believe, and totally overlooked and dismissed by the media more often than not, was her intelligence. I think people who like her, sense and understand that this was a person who was so much more than the humble title of her last job before marriage: nanny and kindergarden teacher.

True, she did not have the kind of formal education that is so often confused with real intelligence. But we only need to take one look at her intelligent smile to grok that this was an incredibly smart, street-smart maybe, but smart, charismatic person who understood from the very beginning--even before her engagement-- that if she wanted to accomplish anything within her royal role, she needed the support of the public. And support she got, in spades.

She had a myriad of ways to put people at ease, one of which was being perhaps overly self depricative. This also contributed to perhaps people sometimes thinking she was a bit dim. Which she wasn't.

I think she also genuinely liked people, although the kind of interest in her life became a bit much to bear for her at the end--but that's understandable. I have to say that I lost interest in her a bit after that interview with Bashir, in which she revealed everything and the kitchen sink. (Which I wouldn't have done in her place. that and the fact she said she wanted to be queen of people's hearts. I mean, come on!, what a silly thing to say for a 30-plus year-old professional!)

But besides that comment, in that interview, it was plain for all to view how smart she was: she spoke very very eloquently, and to some that was a bit of a surprise. And now that we have had the opportunity to read some of her correspondence, it again is plain and clear that this was an intelligent, eloquent mind at work. Her writing was just beautiful, she really had a writing style entirely her own.

And of course, it didn't hurt she was tall and pretty, supposedly funny, with a lovely voice, too.

windsor the troll 10-27-2005 05:40 PM

Diana was just such a great person.
Even though I never met her I felt as though I knew her. I suppose thats a commonly expressed feeling as she touched the hearts of everyone.

When she died, I told myself that she was in a better place now. With God looking down guiding her two sons through life.

childofgod1982 10-27-2005 11:50 PM

Why do you love Diana?
A: Because of her personaly, how she was able to work with everyone very well. She was very resptful towards others. I LOVE HER WORK WITH PEOPLE WHO ARE DISABLE. being learning disable it touch my heart. I love her styles of clothes and her hair. I wish I was good at picking out clothes, like her. Lets what else.....um....I like how she like to be call "queen of hearts" because she was one. I still admier her to this day.

When did it begin?
A: In 1996 a year to the day before she die.

Do you think she is a myth?
A: NO I DO NOT THINK SHE IS A MYTH. SHE WAS SOOOO REAL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Christo's Girl 01-15-2006 04:53 PM

I remember being 6 when she married and getting up at 4:30 am to watch with my royalist grandmother(God rest her soul). There was something about her and didn't everyone you know what that wedding? It was the start of an obsession that lasted to the end of her life. She was really looking great at the time of her death. I really do wonder what her plans were. I do not think they included marriage to Dodi.

corazon 01-15-2006 05:30 PM

I will posted here and I will have troubles. ha ha. why diana? hmmmm is hard to say.
I was 14 years old when she died, i don't know why but my life change in that moment, I never back to be the same person.
I love diana, noting can change that. She work, the help people, she have troubles, have 2 buatiful sons, and die young, etc etc etc
I want day so many thing about her, but not, some thing are only for myself.
she never will forget, she still is the mother of a future and she will be ever, but she not was another princess in the world, she was the person most photographed in the history. she not was perfect, of course.
for many people she is alive in the heart, her soul is here, with the people that love her.
She was part of monarchy, part of british history, part of the lives the people and instititions she help, i love her because she was a real person, like every of us, she have light.

She have ''angel'' like we said in argentina.
many people does not understand because we love her, and you want that I said the true? I not understand it either ha ha, only love her, is very simple and very comlicated.
she not is a myth, she is real. but in the future I think she will remembered like a myth.
if my post is off of topic, please moderators, delete it.

Regina 01-15-2006 06:43 PM

Why do you love Diana?
I like Diana a lot because she was a woman with charisma, kindness and elegance. She was fragile, very unhappy, and rejected by many, but she used all her knowledge about unhappiness to help the Others. She was very pretty, and she had a wonderful style and good taste for cloths. Of course she was not perfect but she is dead now and no matter the mistakes she made she will always be remember as one of the sweetest Princesses Europe had.

When did it begin?
I liked to read about Diana since I was a child. When she came to Portugal I was very little but I remember how much we liked her: funny, elegant, full of life, etc. I just couldn't believe when I knew she was dead. I felt like if I knew her personally.

Do you think she is a myth?
She is a myth. because myths never die. She will always be remember. She had "something" that changed many perople's life. Some call charisma, others call "angel", other call "elán"... I don't know. These kind of persons only appears once in a while, they are special for some reason. Diana was cried by millions all over the world, in all continents, by people of all races and ages, by men and women, children and olders. May she rest in peace, the peace she never had here.

dianafan 01-19-2006 01:00 PM

I have loved Diana since she became engaged to Prince Charles in February 1981 I'm 2 years older than Princess Diana and I have seen the wedding on the television and we thought that it was a fairytale the marriage of the century said them on the television! I find Diana a nice princess with an irradiation them a difficult life have had but nevertheless there always came them on top of!How she handled always children was really beautiful see! She was this way a mother kind always made time for them went always loving with william and Harry for, you saw on the burial of its how its children loved her! People were glad if they considered her each time as Charles and Diana on a visit came people called of near always on her her are able see!
She will comfort people and AIDS broke out then there she will visit people and gave them a hand and even kissed them whereas other people had to there fright of touch people with AIDS! I do not say that she is holy Diana was also but people and had errors also its such as everyone!
I hope that they will forget its never and at me them the princess of the hearts and the princess of the people remains! Sorry for my english I hope that you understand me!
I love princess Diana forever!

dianafan 01-19-2006 01:08 PM

Is it true that princess Diana is forgotten in england?? Someone of Belgium which lives now in england has that set?? is that true??

Avalon 01-19-2006 01:23 PM

I loved Diana and always will. I don't think she was perfect, I just love her with all her faults. I started admiring her in 1996, though I have heard of her before (my Mom and Aunt are great Diana fans and I think Mom named me after her, though she denies it). Why did I love her? Can't say, maybe because we had the same name, becaue she was beautiful, elegant, used her influence for good causes like the problem of mines, etc... Do I love her now> Certainly I do. And will not stop admiring her ever because I am constant in all my feelings. Is she a myth? Perhaps, in a way she is. She is a myth created by media and people and herself. And she is a myth that will survive ages.

And Dianafan, I don't think she is forgotten in England. Two of my best friends live in England (they are Brits) so I think my view is more or less right. People in England just understood that she is death and life goes on. They will never forget her (my opinion only). But they are used now to Camilla and understand that she is the one Prince Charles is happy with and after all, he is their Prince, whom they wish to be happy (a desire I rorally share).

corazon 01-19-2006 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dianafan
Is it true that princess Diana is forgotten in england?? Someone of Belgium which lives now in england has that set?? is that true??

for me is true, sad but true.

corazon 01-19-2006 01:30 PM

I forget, nice to see again, dianafan ;) :D

dianafan 01-19-2006 01:44 PM

I will never forget Diana solang I live!
corazon, A happy newyear to you!

corazon 01-19-2006 01:46 PM

of course, we never forget diana!
happy year for you too!;)

Princejohnny25 01-19-2006 02:03 PM

I dont think Diana is forgoten in England but they have moved on and I dont think they care much for the drama of the olden days. Diana maybe forgoten in the sense that she is not as valuable in england anymore as she is in America and other places in the world. There isnt much of an obsession.

Regina 01-19-2006 06:16 PM

I think anyone will forget Diana, even the ones who don't like her. She had such charisma! When I say to someone "The day Diana died..." , everyone knows imeadiatly about what Diana am I talking about! :) I think this happend all over the world.

Adry 01-19-2006 06:23 PM

Always admired Princess Diana..she was such a wonderful woman and princess and I wont forget how her dead affected myself...I prayed for her soul...and Im sure she will be the Queen of Hearts forever :)

corazon 01-19-2006 07:45 PM

I agrre with you both! diana will be forover in the heart of the people relly love her.

elmabruin 02-03-2006 10:26 AM

I can't explain why I do like Diana, I just do from the first time I have seen her on tv, I just was 11 years old and she touched, but don't ask me why.......

We will never forget Diana!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Panther2000 02-05-2006 07:56 PM

My reasons for liking her

Her childlike ways when everyone was introduced to her. & To see her grow into a Woman who refused to be stuffed into an Box void of emotions. She loved people & was proud to show it. & the world fell in love with her because she did have so much love in her heart.

But, her maturing over the years & her setting her own standards after the Smear campaign started by the royal family after the split. & Not letting it get her down.

But, I think that so much of what she was is still so much pressed into the boys. They too want to keep it real & Be Real people not just titles. they I do believe that they do really care about people like their mother did.

& I Do believe that once they get this army stuff ouf of the way. That they will pick up where there mother left off. Unless charles thinks that they would over shadowing him & nip it in the bud. Because probably by that time Charles may be King. I remember the mess that when on with Charles PR person & Prince Edward trying to make Edward look bad in the public's eye.

But, Diana with her faults( we all have them) you have to love her for what she did for other.

She does touches people's hearts.

God Bless this woman

Toledo 02-05-2006 08:43 PM

Anyone here knows on the progress of the new statue made about her? I still can't believe that her memorial fountain was such a disaster, not to mention plain ugly! I'll rather support the statue project since is more of a realistic sculpture.

Christo's Girl 02-15-2006 01:01 PM

I was looking at old Royalty magazines today and I realized. I really really miss Diana. I can't help thinking about what she would be doing if she were alive today.

MoonlightRhapsody 02-15-2006 01:12 PM

She was taken from this world too soon. She hadn't really had the chance to enjoy the new-found freedom that she hadn't had since before she married into the royal family. Plus, she didn't get to see how well her children grew up and are becoming good men.

I guess I liked and admired Diana for her flaws as well as for her virtues. She was a tragic figure who by publicizing her problems made herself appear like the average person. Everyone had problems and she showed that she wasn't above the public but was also one of them. She really was like a breath of fresh air, someone belonging to an untouchable institution who suddenly became within arms reach.

I genuinely believe that her humanitarian works came from her heart and not for the PR publicity. Reports are only surfacing now that she would make secret visits to hospitals and various places to meet the sick and in need. Those kinds of actions don't sound like the actions of someone who just does them for publicity.

She had so much love to give, as you can see from her interactions with her sons, and she was spreading as much love as she could to those who were less fortunate and those who needed love the most. I think that aspect of her is what will remain in the hearts and minds of all those people she physically and emotionally touched. The tragedy is that I think she was so desperate for love and yet she couldn't really fully appreciate the love that millions of others were giving her. At least now, her legacy lives on with her sons who the world watches like guardians, watching from afar, ready to defend their lives and interests in tha manner that wasn't done for their mother. It's actually very endearing to see and I'm sure Diana would approve of how her sons' privacies are more protected now than they would have been before.

Christo's Girl 02-15-2006 01:17 PM

She was never afraid to leave her comfort zone to comfort people in pain. Also, she was looking so beautiful, I can only imagine what she would have started wearing!

mar 02-15-2006 01:50 PM

I liked Diana because she was against the hunt.

pendragon 02-15-2006 02:46 PM

she was the fashion queen and a princes of human kind. i like her since her marriage with charles. very sadly she is gone.

dakodas 02-17-2006 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moonlightrhapsody

I genuinely believe that her humanitarian works came from her heart and not for the PR publicity. Reports are only surfacing now that she would make secret visits to hospitals and various places to meet the sick and in need. Those kinds of actions don't sound like the actions of someone who just does them for publicity.

This is simply not true. That she went at night to hospitals to visit the sick has been printed many places for MANY years. What is interesting is that many of her visits were likely to visit the doctor she was having an affair with-helping the sick was a cover for one of her numerous infidelities.

corazon 02-17-2006 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dakodas
This is simply not true. That she went at night to hospitals to visit the sick has been printed many places for MANY years. What is interesting is that many of her visits were likely to visit the doctor she was having an affair with-helping the sick was a cover for one of her numerous infidelities.

what is your source for said that?
we need to prove with a source when we said like yousaid.
if not, is a romuor not a fact, diana visit hospital some night, that is a fact (like william some weeks ago, we can see photos)

corazon 02-17-2006 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moonlightrhapsody
She was taken from this world too soon. She hadn't really had the chance to enjoy the new-found freedom that she hadn't had since before she married into the royal family. Plus, she didn't get to see how well her children grew up and are becoming good men.

I guess I liked and admired Diana for her flaws as well as for her virtues. She was a tragic figure who by publicizing her problems made herself appear like the average person. Everyone had problems and she showed that she wasn't above the public but was also one of them. She really was like a breath of fresh air, someone belonging to an untouchable institution who suddenly became within arms reach.

She had so much love to give, as you can see from her interactions with her sons, and she was spreading as much love as she could to those who were less fortunate and those who needed love the most. I think that aspect of her is what will remain in the hearts and minds of all those people she physically and emotionally touched. The tragedy is that I think she was so desperate for love and yet she couldn't really fully appreciate the love that millions of others were giving her. At least now, her legacy lives on with her sons who the world watches like guardians, watching from afar, ready to defend their lives and interests in tha manner that wasn't done for their mother. It's actually very endearing to see and I'm sure Diana would approve of how her sons' privacies are more protected now than they would have been before.

very true, is sad than many people not understood to diana.
especially the british media, many times the media was very cruel with her.

dakodas 02-17-2006 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corazon
what is your source for said that?
we need to prove with a source when we said like yousaid.
if not, is a romuor not a fact, diana visit hospital some night, that is a fact (like william some weeks ago, we can see photos)

My source is Andrew Morton who is at least as reliable as NO source, which was given for the statement that we are just now finding out about her hospital visits.

Elspeth 02-17-2006 09:36 PM

Quote:

That might be the case if the only places she visited were the ones where he worked, and the only people she visited were cardiac patients. From some of the anecdotes that have surfaced over the years, that doesn't seem to be the case. I suppose it's possible that a lot of people are independently lying, but the conclusion that some of these trips actually happened is a more likely one.

She had a driving need to feel loved and needed and to give and receive comfort; visiting sick people in hospital and comforting them and their relatives would be a perfectly natural outlet.

corazon 02-17-2006 09:38 PM

Quote:

My source is Andrew Morton who is at least as reliable as NO source, which was given for the statement that we are just now finding out about her hospital visits.

i know this is off topic but in which book morton said this? her true story, her new life or in persuif of love?

dakodas 02-17-2006 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elspeth
That might be the case if the only places she visited were the ones where he worked, and the only people she visited were cardiac patients. From some of the anecdotes that have surfaced over the years, that doesn't seem to be the case. I suppose it's possible that a lot of people are independently lying, but the conclusion that some of these trips actually happened is a more likely one.

She had a driving need to feel loved and needed and to give and receive comfort; visiting sick people in hospital and comforting them and their relatives would be a perfectly natural outlet.

Well, as you have proven, these were not "secret" visits then were they?

dakodas 02-17-2006 09:40 PM

Quote:

i know this is off topic but in which book morton said this? her true story, her new life or in persuif of love?

In Pursuit of Love. Have you read it?

corazon 02-17-2006 09:42 PM

diana visit patients with aids and kids with cancer too.
thanks elspeth.

corazon 02-17-2006 09:43 PM

Quote:

In Pursuit of Love. Have you read it?

of course, i read all the morton books.

Elspeth 02-17-2006 09:44 PM

Quote:

Well, as you have proven, these were not "secret" visits then were they?

The ones we've heard about because relatives and staff have talked about them are obviously not secret now. However, we know about them because relatives and staff talked about them, not because the press was along. If you want to conclude that relatives and staff of all the people she visited have talked about it, and that she made sure that they would talk about it, that's up to you, of course. But I don't see any particular basis for that conclusion.

dakodas 02-17-2006 09:44 PM

Quote:

of course, i read all the morton books.

Hmmmm...perhaps you should reread the parts concerning Diana sneaking to the hospital in the night to see her boyfriend.

dakodas 02-17-2006 09:46 PM

Quote:

The ones we've heard about because relatives and staff have talked about them are obviously not secret now. However, we know about them because relatives and staff talked about them, not because the press was along. If you want to conclude that relatives and staff of all the people she visited have talked about it, and that she made sure that they would talk about it, that's up to you, of course. But I don't see any particular basis for that conclusion.

Well, hmmm...if I were the most photographed and famous woman on the planet and I paid an unexpected visit to you in hospital, well YES, I would assume you would talk about it! It is ONLY logical.

Elspeth 02-17-2006 09:48 PM

I don't think anybody's saying that Diana didn't sneak into the hospital to visit Dr Khan. I think Corazon's trying to say that that isn't the only reason she visited hospitals.

corazon 02-17-2006 09:48 PM

the doctor thet we are talking about is Hasnat Khan?
if this way diana meet him in 1996 and she do visits to hospitals many time before, especially in 80 years.

dakodas 02-17-2006 09:51 PM

Quote:

I don't think anybody's saying that Diana didn't sneak into the hospital to visit Dr Khan. I think Corazon's trying to say that that isn't the only reason she visited hospitals.

And the point that I am trying to make that is supported by interviews with so many of those she called 5-6 times a day, she rarely did ANYTHING without weighing the effect on her public image, what the press would write, who would photograph it, the spin factor, etc! She was self-obsessed-even her biggest fans must admit this.

dakodas 02-17-2006 09:52 PM

Quote:

the doctor thet we are talking about is Hasnat Khan?
if this way diana meet him in 1996 and she do visits to hospitals many time before, especially in 80 years.

I mean the so-called "secret" visits-please name your source for the "secret" visits and when they occured.

corazon 02-17-2006 09:55 PM

morton book, diana: her true story, and burrel book a royal duty.

dakodas 02-17-2006 10:00 PM

Quote:

morton book, diana: her true story, and burrel book a royal duty.

Hmmmmm...since Diana:Her True Story was spoon fed to him by Diana, is that the best source for her sister of mercy secret acts of kindness? And how would Burrell know what she did when he was working elsewhere? He only worked for her towards the end of her life-before he was with Charles or the Queen. Burrell writes of her passing out coats to hookers-that is what he witnessed.

corazon 02-17-2006 10:04 PM

Quote:

Hmmmmm...since Diana:Her True Story was spoon fed to him by Diana, is that the best source for her sister of mercy secret acts of kindness? And how would Burrell know what she did when he was working elsewhere? He only worked for her towards the end of her life-before he was with Charles or the Queen. Burrell writes of her passing out coats to hookers-that is what he witnessed.

the diana visit to hospitals ( no officials visits) not was only the night and not anyway were secrets, this visit were out of agenda.

Warren 02-17-2006 10:12 PM

Quote:

And the point that I am trying to make that is supported by interviews with so many of those she called 5-6 times a day, she rarely did ANYTHING without weighing the effect on her public image, what the press would write, who would photograph it, the spin factor, etc! She was self-obsessed-even her biggest fans must admit this.

I think anyone who has observed the Diana phenomenon with eyes wide open would agree she was manipulative, self-obsessed, demanding, and probably draining. But just as we object to her being portayed as a latter-day Mother Teresa, we shouldn't take the opposite angle and write her off completely.

Maybe what makes her both fascinating and flawed is that she did connect with people, she did care, she did do "good works". Yes, she did do little stage-managed performances, but she also did the private visits, turning up unannounced. No doubt like the rest of her, her motivations were "complicated" (as Queen Elizabeth once allegedly described her).

While we may resent the attempted hagiography, we should acknowledge the good Diana did achieve.

corazon 02-17-2006 10:19 PM

all the royals (british and others) one time or another do something stage-managed performances things, like Warren said, not for be manipulating people, some times is necessary for the royal family image etc, it depends of the moment.

Skydragon 02-18-2006 02:11 PM

Quote:

Well, hmmm...if I were the most photographed and famous woman on the planet and I paid an unexpected visit to you in hospital, well YES, I would assume you would talk about it! It is ONLY logical.

It's amazing that so many people say that she visited them on secret visits, none of them are able to offer proof and if they were all checked, we would probably find, she wasn't even in the country for most of them.:D Yes Elspeth, a lot of them do lie, why is beyond me.

Elspeth 02-18-2006 02:17 PM

Maybe they do, but this is beginning to look suspiciously like trying to prove a universal negative. At the moment we've pretty much got to the point of saying that these visits were all fictitious and anyway she was just visiting her boyfriend. And that if anyone said she'd visited them or a family member, they're lying about it and it didn't happen and she only did it for the publicity anyway. Which begins to look like mutually exclusive scenarios.

Is it really so extremely impossible to believe that a person who was so drawn to suffering people and who needed very deeply to give and receive comfort would occasionally go back to a hospital she'd visited officially for a quiet unofficial visit, or would take time out from visiting friends in hospital (such as the one who was dying of AIDS) to pop her head round someone else's door?

georgiea 02-18-2006 11:04 PM

The Diana that I have read about did unexpected hospital visits before she meet her boyfriend doctor. She use to take William and Harry around with her to meet patients and the homeless. Also Diana had a lot of lonely nights on her hands and I believe she went out at night to hospitals
to feel less lonely. She is gone now so let her rest in peace.:)

corazon 02-18-2006 11:09 PM

true, diana visit homless, that is absolutly true.
william said it in a interview.

semisquare 02-18-2006 11:13 PM

because her public life seem like a storybook and she was so beautiful

sara1981 02-19-2006 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by georgiea
The Diana that I have read about did unexpected hospital visits before she meet her boyfriend doctor. She use to take William and Harry around with her to meet patients and the homeless. Also Diana had a lot of lonely nights on her hands and I believe she went out at night to hospitals
to feel less lonely. She is gone now so let her rest in peace.:)

i would agree with you but she is Princess! she can meet any people who is homeless and also bring the BOYS! and no approve by the HM Queen for permission with Diana of engagement in the public.

but i would agree with corazon but when Wills was little boys and Diana took him to meet homeless and dont fun with the homeless its really disappointment but i dont think HM Queen would give permission of Diana took Wills and Harry to meet homeless heck no!

Skydragon 02-19-2006 06:29 AM

Quote:

Maybe they do, but this is beginning to look suspiciously like trying to prove a universal negative. At the moment we've pretty much got to the point of saying that these visits were all fictitious and anyway she was just visiting her boyfriend. And that if anyone said she'd visited them or a family member, they're lying about it and it didn't happen and she only did it for the publicity anyway.

I didn't say all of them were lying but, if you add up the amount of people who say she visited them secretly, she wouldn't have had time for anything else in her life at all.
She did allow it to be thought that her visits to the hospital were to see patients rather than Khan. I also think publicity played a massive part in the visits as well.
She did go and see the homeless with the boys but, why???? Did it get them so much publicity they were housed, unlikely! However this is a 'why did you like Di thread, I didn't so I shouldn't be on here!:D

wlb825 02-22-2006 09:47 PM

She was really kind women.... even she was a big shot around the world... she never let her inocent go.....

lys 02-26-2006 05:57 PM

She was an honest person, with herself and with the people.
She was also the best dressed royal, elegant and glamorous.
She was my favourite royal. I miss her.

corazon 02-26-2006 07:08 PM

you don't are the unique, you can be sure about that;)

rhenae 03-06-2006 03:53 AM

I have been a huge fan of Diana's since I was a little girl. All girls want to be princess'. She was a wonderful human being. When she talked the world listened. She cared about her causes. She did lead with her heart and that made all the difference in the world. She was also a wonderful mother . I don't think that Diana was a myth. Her legacy will go on forever.

corazon 03-06-2006 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhenae
I have been a huge fan of Diana's since I was a little girl. All girls want to be princess'. She was a wonderful human being. When she talked the world listened. She cared about her causes. She did lead with her heart and that made all the difference in the world. She was also a wonderful mother . I don't think that Diana was a myth. Her legacy will go on forever.

yeah, you're right, her legacy is with us ever..

msleiman 03-06-2006 10:58 AM

I think that any one that watched that WEDDING became a fan. I remember that our TV went out just before the wedding started. My mother, grandmother and myself got into the car and drove over to my aunts home. We planted our backsides on the floor and would not leave. I still remember thinking how lucky she was, and how happy they were. :confused: I watched a prince william was born, I watched a prince harry was born, I watched when she died. She was apart of our lives. We all watched like she was some distance family member. I now hope that she is in peace and can finally rest. And, We should let her. We owe her that!!!

chattykathy 03-16-2006 02:46 AM

Diana - A TRUE Royal Princess

Diana was every inch a royal princess...it's a shame the family she married into -esp. her husband- seem mundane and UNroyal in comparison in all the truly important areas of life - leadership - and compassion. Unlike Prince Charles who seems to care only about himself and what HE wants - regardless of what his actions and attitudes will do to the Monarchy and his nation, Diana set aside her personal problems and desires in order to reach out to people in need - espeically ones who could not defend or speak up for themselves.

Charles on the other hand whines about his imagined woes and sorrows and whenever something goes wrong - he immediately points fingers of blame at Diana for everything gone amuck in his life, instead of taking responsibility for his actions and attitudes. He could have been an incredibly wonderful Royal Leader -but his petty jealousy and his disloyalty to both his wife as well as his family and nation has ruined him and has only shown him up to be the spineless ninny that he really is..

Diana - who only wanted to be his wife, the mother of their children, and to be his partner both in private and in public - found herself trapped in a nightmare of a marriage to a man who never loved her, even though in the beginning she loved and adored him. He betrayed and humiliated her in every way - going so far as to flaunt his Mistress in front of her every chance he got (because he was jealous of her popularity with his people)...

BUT even when her private life was horrendous, and at it's absolute worst, Diana still went about her royal duties with a fortitude of grace and courage that won her the respect of her nation and the world. And her sincere caring and concern for people - no matter what their station or status or age or religion or race or state of health or living condition was - is what truly set her apart from most of the other British royals (esp. Charles) and this earned her a place in the hearts and lives of literally millions of people around the world.
Prince Charles and many in his family could learn many a lessons from Diana about what it means to be a TRUE ROYAL LEADER. While he and his family were born into Royalty - Diana EARNED her Royal Status because she dared to care about and crusade for the welfare and lives of the common man, woman, and child in every walk of life - in every part of the world...

And so while Diana was officially stripped of HRH status, at the Royal Family's command when she and Charles divorced - in the hearts of the people of her nation and in the nations around the world Diana was and will forever always be - Her Royal Highness, Diana - Princess of Wales because she proved to be every inch a Royal Princess in all the areas which count when she lived.
Kathy

Avalon 03-16-2006 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chattykathy
Diana was every inch a royal princess... Kathy

Agree with that one, she was a great princess.
Quote:

it's a shame the family she married into -esp. her husband- seem mundane and UNroyal in comparison in all the truly important areas of life - leadership - and compassion. Unlike Prince Charles who seems to care only about himself and what HE wants... Kathy

Definetely can't agree with this one. The British Royal Family does a great job for the country. And especially Prince Charles. He not only cares about the others, his charity organizations, prticularly the Prince's Trust, are one of the most successful in the UK. He helped and helps so many people! He is full of compassion.
Quote:

Charles on the other hand whines about his imagined woes and sorrows and whenever something goes wrong - he immediately points fingers of blame at Diana for everything gone amuck in his life, instead of taking responsibility for his actions and attitudes. Kathy

He NEVER, NEVER blamed Diana for anything. He NEVER spoke a single bad word about her. Whenever he spoke of her, he praised her. It's was Diana, who blamed Charles for everythig.

Quote:

He could have been an incredibly wonderful Royal Leader -but his petty jealousy and his disloyalty to both his wife as well as his family and nation has ruined him and has only shown him up to be the spineless ninny that he really is... Kathy

I don't accept cheating but please, remember that Diana cheated herself. Charles was always loyal to his sons, was and is a wonderful father. And he is certainly devoted to his country!

Quote:

Diana - who only wanted to be his wife, the mother of their children, and to be his partner both in private and in public - found herself trapped in a nightmare of a marriage to a man who never loved her, even though in the beginning she loved and adored him. He betrayed and humiliated her in every way - going so far as to flaunt his Mistress in front of her every chance he got (because he was jealous of her popularity with his people)... Kathy

It is my belief, though I may be wrong, that Charles did love Diana when they married. But they were too different. The marriage simply did not work and it was neither Charles's nor Diana's fault. They BOTH had their share of responsibility. What about your word about the Duchess of Cornwall, then Camilla Parker-Bowles, I don't even want to answer them because they are simply not true. :mad:

Quote:

BUT even when her private life was horrendous, and at it's absolute worst, Diana still went about her royal duties with a fortitude of grace and courage that won her the respect of her nation and the world. And her sincere caring and concern for people - no matter what their station or status or age or religion or race or state of health or living condition was - is what truly set her apart from most of the other British royals (esp. Charles) and this earned her a place in the hearts and lives of literally millions of people around the world. Kathy

I agree that Diana did a wonderful job, she must be praised for her charity work and her caring to human beings. And yes, she will stay in the hearts of millions of people, including mine. However saying that Prince Charles and the members of the British Royal Famaily do not care for people is another false statement. They DO care and they show it everyday with the work they are doing. Only someone, who does not know Prince Charles and the huge work he is doing for his country, can blame him for being indifferent!

Quote:

Prince Charles and many in his family could learn many a lessons from Diana about what it means to be a TRUE ROYAL LEADER. While he and his family were born into Royalty - Diana EARNED her Royal Status because she dared to care about and crusade for the welfare and lives of the common man, woman, and child in every walk of life - in every part of the world... Kathy

No comments.

Quote:

And so while Diana was officially stripped of HRH status, at the Royal Family's command when she and Charles divorced - in the hearts of the people of her nation and in the nations around the world Diana was and will forever always be - Her Royal Highness, Diana - Princess of Wales because she proved to be every inch a Royal Princess in all the areas which count when she lived. Kathy

Diana was devirved of her HRH title (though still remaining the Princess of Wales) because she was no longer the wife of the Prince of Wales and was not a Royal. I assume she would be given some title of her own, when Prince William would be the Prince of Wales and then King. However she did not have the right of HRH title from the moment of divorce.
Don't blame Charles and the Royal Fmaily for every single msfortune in Diana's life. She bore responcibility for her actions and for their results. She was a magnificent woman, helped many people around the world, but she was no saint.

hsieh 03-21-2006 01:12 PM

i don't like her. she admitted on tape she pushed her stepmom down the stairs because she didn't say hi to her real mom at some event. i think she's a borderline drama queen.

Vanesa 03-21-2006 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhenae

I can make mine Rhenae's opinion about Diana. She was a LADY by title and by heart.

However, my love for Diana would not make me blind about her faults (yes...not being a saint she have lots of faults :D ) and I would not hate Charles , Camilla and the Queen only for I like her. Charles is a nice guy too, and Camilla seems to be a good person. The trouble with Charles and Diana was not that Charles was bad and Diana was good, not the opposite (reality is not so simple like that)...The problem was only that they couldn't get along as husband and wife...People wanted it, but real life doesn't.

Vanesa.

lisamaria 03-23-2006 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hsieh
i don't like her. she admitted on tape she pushed her stepmom down the stairs because she didn't say hi to her real mom at some event. i think she's a borderline drama queen.

She was borderline insane.

asmadasitgets2003 03-24-2006 10:12 AM

What people really don't think about is the really bad social prejudice in the early 1980s of AIDS in Britain. Which I think Diana was one of the main forces behind defecting this prejudice.

There were many cases of people who if their neighbours found out they had AIDS they tell everyone in their area about that person and that person would be cut off from the community.This was because of the fear of getting AIDS, some people would do worst and try to hurt anyone who had AIDS.

Diana not only brought these people out the shadows of society, but give them a human voice in the press, who up till then, had only covered HIV and AIDS as sex and drugs horror stories not bothering about the suffering of those who got it.
I believe Diana's involvement in AIDS opened the way for more people in the celebrity world and people with AIDS to speak out as human beings rather than objects of fear and possibly hate.

Sorry to go on and on!! But this is how I became a Diana fan. I'm only 17 but a few years ago I was watching a documentary on aids in Britain and a man was being interview about his meeting with princess Diana.

He said he was too scared to appear with her before the world media so she meet him privately away from the cameras and she chatted to him and 8 other people who were to afraid to be seen by the world.

The man in the interview said the best part of the visit was when Diana kissed him and the 8 others good bye and he started crying during the interview but he smiled through his tears

I mean!! you can't get better than can you!!

qui mal y pense 03-24-2006 10:33 AM

As a child in the 80's Diana was a fairytale come to life for me. She looked every inch the princess and her gowns and jewels were such a joy to behold. She is so much a part of my childhood and essentially that part of her was a myth. Looking back now, I think we know too much about her and that ruined the fairytale.

It has been said that Royalty in general did itself a dis-service by allowing so much of their personal lives to become public. They lost the element of mystique and myth. It is sad that this happened to Diana who brought so much joy to so many lives by her good works. We did not need to know the rest.

Caswallan 03-24-2006 06:34 PM

I remember watching the news one night. This was before the wedding. Living in Canada I am sure we did not have the speculation coverage that was circulating in England.

I don't think I even knew that much about the Royal Family except that HM was our money.

And then it happened. Prince Charles and Lady Di came on the news. I was captivated. I was captivated til her death. It still makes me cry.

Why did I love her. A stranger? No idea and no explanation. But I always will.

Duchess 03-24-2006 07:44 PM

in the beginning i was just amazed that this girl came from out of nowhere (at least it seemed that way to me) and became a princess. it gave hope to all of us that dreamed of being princesses...after that...well, i was hooked. she was beautiful, and how could you not love her!

Iluvbertie 03-24-2006 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duchess
how could you not love her!

quite easily - I never did even from before the wedding.

She seemed so totally unsuitable to be marrying Charles and I was never taken in by the 'shy Di' look. That seemed to me at the time and even more so since to be the look of a sneak. It is how many sneaky kids look at me now when I catch then doing something they know they shouldn't be doing. She knew exactly what she was doing and knew the rules of upper class marriages - she had lived through her parents breakdown and would have to have been really stupid not to have known what the situation was.

I have never believed the naive, innocent girl duped by the older prince. She knew what to expect and part way through decided to change the rules of the game.

rhenae 03-24-2006 08:05 PM

I agree with everything that Kathy wrote. In my opinion Diana did everything that the Royals wanted and they never once said well done. She was only 20 and they should have taken her in and showing her the ropes, but like Diana said she was a lamb to the slaughter. I personally don't think that Charles ever loved Diana. He said whatever love means. To a 19 year old girl that would be the most awful thing to hear. Diana will always be the People's Princess to me and to a whole lot of other people to .

Princejohnny25 03-24-2006 08:15 PM

I liked her, didnt love her, but I liked her. She was a pretty princess and was glamorous and a celebrity. She was a good mother and helped a lot of people. But, I never fell for the innocent shy facade. She refused help when it was offered. Charles is reserved about his feelings like the upperclass are and dont reveal them. Shame but that is what they believe. Diana was potrayed as bigger than life. What every women wanted to be and what every man wanted to be with. She was an icon of that time. She had appeal.

maryshawn 03-24-2006 08:26 PM

The latest issue of "People" features Diana on the cover and talks about "Shocking New Evidence" regarding her death and "why the British government can't close their case." It discusses why P Diana's body was almost immediately embalmed and the fact that this is against French law and the fact no one will disclose who ordered it. I wonder if we'll ever get a definitive answer on what happened. The fact she wrote a note 10 months before her death about how "someone was planning to kill her in a car crash with a massive head injury" is either incredibly coincidental or .....I don't quite know what to call it. You'd think this matter would've been laid to rest years ago......

michelleq 03-24-2006 08:33 PM

When she first came on to the scene, I adored her. I liked her because she was technically a commoner (although an aristocrat) marrying royalty. She wore the "princess dresses', tiara, the whole bit." I liked how she was an affectionate mother to her children and how she dealt with people. Towards the late 80's, she felt that she was the heir, started believing her press. I have a problem with people that manipulate others into feeling sorry for poor me. I was definitely on her side, esp. with the whole Camilla thing. But when her infidelities became know, my admiration lessen. She loss me when she went public and aired her laundry; actually her and Charles. That tit for tat was childish. I still love her fashion, and she has wonderful sons and I do feel that she was mistreated,but I realize that she was not the victim that she wanted the world to be. But I still like her. I actually felt sorry for her that she would need validation from others the way that she did.

rhenae 03-25-2006 12:44 AM

I am not condoning adultry, but when your husband is in love with someone else I think that it would be hard to stay faithful to him while he is carrying on his affair. I admired Diana more when she came out and talked about her problems. She was only human and I think that some people wanted to make her perfect while she herself said that she would make many mistakes. I am a huge Diana fan, but I have never said that she was/is perfect because no one is on this earth. As for one of the other comments about Diana being insane there is no way that she was insane. That is what the men in gray want everyone to believe. We need to respect William and Harry too and they would be so upset knowing that people say this about their beloved Mummy.

tenngirl 03-25-2006 01:57 AM

I loved Di because of her clothes. Even to this day, I am still fascinated by her fashion.

I did not watch the wedding but my first knowledge of her was the book Princess by Robert Lacey. I remember the picture of her holding the children at the school. I thought she was so beautiful and elegant and from that point on, I read everything I could find about her. I used to dream of walking into a room with books and books about her. I nearly worshipped the girl!:D

I still miss her, although I am not blind to her problems. Wouldn't it have been awesome if the marriage had worked and they were celebrating their 25 wedding anniversary? I wonder what she would have worn. I would imagine, and this is definitely only an opinion, that even though she was older than the new Princesses, that she would put them all to shame when she appeared at the weddings.

I think that she created a standard that will not be reached for a long time. I enjoy reading about the new girls, but Di is still my pick of them all.

Just my opinion, of course!:p

coppertop1 03-28-2006 11:25 AM

I liked Diana because she was human. She wasn't perfect but she never pretended to be. In the words of Evita (not that I'm comparing them. I mean the musical "Better to win by admitting my sin than to lose with a halo". That's her appeal to me. And she was so compassionate and she loved her family (not that Charles doesn't or is cold). And she was beautiful both in and out. Let's not get all judgmental about people. Charles, Diana or Camilla. Let's look at them as human beings

I remember when Diana died, and I watched the funeral and was almost in tears at the end of candle in the wind and her brothers' speech