The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   British Royals (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f23/)
-   -   Marina Mowatt and Family [daughter of Princess Alexandra] News 1: August 2005- (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f23/marina-mowatt-and-family-daughter-of-princess-alexandra-news-1-august-2005-a-6927.html)

iowabelle 08-19-2005 05:09 PM

Marina Mowatt and Family [daughter of Princess Alexandra] News 1: August 2005-

I just got the new copies of Majesty and Royalty and noticed in one that there was a picture of Marina Mowatt with her children, and Cassius Taylor (misidentified as her nephew). Does anyone know why Marina was invited? Haven't seen her around the royals in years, except for her father's funeral. Maybe it was in recognition of the loss of her father?

kelly9480 08-19-2005 08:35 PM

She's been back in the family fold since at least 1999 when she attended Edward's wedding.

Elspeth 08-19-2005 09:15 PM

Has she been back since Edward's wedding, or was that a one-time exception? I don't remember seeing her at the Jubilee celebrations or the Queen Mother's funeral (although since I was in California at the time and watching in the middle of the night, I probably missed all sorts of stuff).

tiaraprin 08-20-2005 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elspeth
Has she been back since Edward's wedding, or was that a one-time exception? I don't remember seeing her at the Jubilee celebrations or the Queen Mother's funeral (although since I was in California at the time and watching in the middle of the night, I probably missed all sorts of stuff).

Recently, she was on the balcony for the Trooping of the Colour in June with her daughter Zenouska. Marina has not aged well, she looked quite old!

princess olga 08-20-2005 01:37 AM

ok, would someone fill me in on who Marina is? Is she the Ogilvy daughter? Why did she have a falling out, and what is she up to these days for example? Thanks

Reina 08-20-2005 01:43 AM

I think she rebelled against her parents, had a baby out-of-wedlock, and her wedding dress was awful

Elspeth 08-20-2005 01:54 AM

Yes, she's the Ogilvy daughter. She had a rather spectacular falling out with her parents some years back and made the mistake of trying to get the Queen publicly involved. I think it was in the early 1990s; she was living with a boyfriend who wasn't considered suitable by her parents, and she became pregnant. She claimed that her parents had wanted her to have an abortion; she wrote a letter to the Queen asking for her to intervene, and gave or sold the contents of the letter to one of the London tabloid newspapers. In the end she married her boyfriend during her pregnancy, but it was noted by the press, if I'm remembering this right, that the Queen's permission for the marriage omitted the usual wording of "our trusty and well-beloved cousin" and just said "our cousin," which is tantamount to a very major reprimand.

She and her husband ended up having two children and divorcing seven or eight years after the marriage, and she was at one point criticised by the newspapers for living on government handouts as a single mother when she came from such a rich family. She was not included in many of the royal family get-togethers for years after her wedding, but she did show up for the Wessex wedding in 1999.

As Tiaraprin said, she's showing her age and then some these days. It's hard to believe she's actually younger than Lady Helen Taylor.

tiaraprin 08-20-2005 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elspeth

As Tiaraprin said, she's showing her age and then some these days. It's hard to believe she's actually younger than Lady Helen Taylor.

Marina is only 2 years older than I. I am no beauty, but I look younger than her!! Some people still think I am in my late 20's (bless them!:D )

Reina 08-20-2005 02:02 AM

WHy would she subject her kids to this? Here is an article I found from the mirror. scrool down to read the article.

A CLASS (ROOM) APART
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/suecarr...ame_index.html

princess olga 08-20-2005 02:36 AM

Thanks, Elspeth and Reina for filling in 'some blanks' on Marina! wow she certainly makes for a colorful royal!

Oppie 08-20-2005 09:21 AM

I heard a story (I'm blanking on my source) that Princess Beatrice was close friends with Marina daughter.

lashinka2002 08-20-2005 11:42 AM

Any pixs of Marina and her children?

iowabelle 08-20-2005 12:10 PM

The picture I saw was from the Trooping of the Colour.

I also saw some photographs in Majesty or Royalty from Sir Angus Ogilvy's funeral.

I think Marina's major "sin" was talking to the media. She claimed that when she got pregnant with Zenouska, out of wedlock, her parents told her to get an abortion. Then she made her parents out to be heartless monsters who always put their duty to the Crown ahead of their duty to their own family.

Maybe age has toned her down a little and given her some perspective.

Flora&maisie 08-20-2005 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oppie
I heard a story (I'm blanking on my source) that Princess Beatrice was close friends with Marina daughter.

I heard that too and that she lent one of her old dresses to her for trooping. Its funny I would of thought Eugenie would be closer to her as they are so close in age

kelly9480 08-20-2005 01:48 PM

She attended the Queen Mum's funeral. There were few pix of the Kents at the Golden Jubilee, so I can't say whether she attended.

CATS 08-20-2005 03:25 PM

Eugenie and Zen went to school together, when they were younger, so they would problely be friends too. That article about the schools was 2 years old, I would imagine some relative came up with the money for their education. I remember Prince Charles was writing letters to their grandparents about the situtation, I think.(Charles is Marina's Godfather.)

Does anyone know what happened with that?

Reina 08-20-2005 05:13 PM

Ok I went to my universities research databases to look her up from which I got an article from The Times, May 16, 2003, which said that her house was not a grace-and-favor and that it was likely to be reported straight to the Treasury b/c it was like all income from the Crown Estate. Here is the link: https://www.newsint-archive.co.uk/pag...003%29%29&_P=1. It is not the whole article, but an abstract as you have to have a subscription to read the whole thing. However I was able to read the whole thing though, but it just talked about the Crown Estate.

I hope it works. So maybe someone in the royal family has brought her a more suitable place to live? Hopefully?

Reina 08-20-2005 05:20 PM

However the second, and last, article (The TImes_MAy 10, 2003) that came up says that she is living in state benefits and that her landlord is the Queen. She lives at Windsor Great Park. It has alot of details in it, but it basically speels out that she is indeed dependent on welfare and child support. I really don't understand why.
Oh here is the link to the summary: https://www.newsint-archive.co.uk/pag...003%29%29&_P=1

Reina 08-20-2005 05:30 PM

Ah! Here are more details about where she lives. This article from https://news.independent.co.uk/uk/thi...icle221559.ece tlaks about her and PEdward and PAndrew receving 'royal housing benefits'. So apparently MArina lives in a threee bedroom cottage in Windsor Great Park. SO thankfully she and her kids live in some kind of comfort. However you can't get the whole articl ewithout paying. BU tshe stilll lives on benefits.

Reina 08-20-2005 05:52 PM

Ah! Here is a full article that you can read now. It is from the telegraph from May 11, 2003:
Palace 'embarrassed' by plight of Queen's cousin
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.../11/nhrh11.xml

Reina 08-20-2005 05:55 PM

60-second divorce for the Queen's cousin
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/htmlConte...16/nmow16.html

Reina 08-20-2005 05:57 PM

Here is a great article that spells it all out

Private anguish of royal rebel without a cause
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...11/nhrh111.xml

CATS 08-20-2005 06:35 PM

Reina Thanks! But Is There Nothing Newer?

Reina 08-20-2005 07:35 PM

The problem is that alot of newspapers requires a paid subscription to view the article. Here is one, but you have to pay

From the daily mail
Let's sort out the problem with hard-up Marina, says Charles https://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/std/paidfor.gif
by Richard Kay - 12/05/2003
PRINCE Charles has offered to help in the family row over his goddaughter Marina Mowatt

But I have to take back what I said earlier. I don't think that three room cottage is a luxurious one. I think some of the Crown Estates are commercilaized. I would liek to get access to more current news too.

Reina 08-20-2005 07:43 PM

Ok I got the article that I posted above from the independent off another site. I tis from May 15, 2005. I guess her situation has not changed much. I don hope that her kids don't follow in her footsteps.

A 30-room mansion in the grounds of Windsor Castle? To you, Sir, 250 a week
By Independent News
May 15, 2005, 08:46
https://www.ezilon.com/information/printer_4612.shtml

kelly9480 08-21-2005 03:12 AM

Marina's landlord is the Crown Estate Commissioners -- the board that overseas the Crown Estates -- not the Queen. Marina's parents were from that generation that believed it was better to allow your children to learn from their mistakes, rather than bail them out time after time. Besides, Angus and Alexandra were never "cash rich". They had/have a lot of assets, but not a lot of ready cash to bail someone out. A lot of their wealth is tied up in their home, art, jewels, etc. Marina's made numerous mistakes, and she seems to have learned from them and seems to be getting her life back on track.

tiaraprin 08-21-2005 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelly9480
Marina's landlord is the Crown Estate Commissioners -- the board that overseas the Crown Estates -- not the Queen. Marina's parents were from that generation that believed it was better to allow your children to learn from their mistakes, rather than bail them out time after time. Besides, Angus and Alexandra were never "cash rich". They had/have a lot of assets, but not a lot of ready cash to bail someone out. A lot of their wealth is tied up in their home, art, jewels, etc. Marina's made numerous mistakes, and she seems to have learned from them and seems to be getting her life back on track.

I sincerely hope Marina is back on track now for the sake of her children.

Flora&maisie 08-21-2005 05:43 AM

This has just reminded me of aother article I read once ages ago, I can't remeber where ir came from, but the long and short of it was she had a stalker so they moved her and her children onto the windor grounds because of the police protectuion there. As I say I can't really remeber it it was from 1997. Anybody else heard about it?

kelly9480 08-21-2005 03:50 PM

Marina moved onto the estate in 96/97 allegedly because her husband was physically abusive so it kept him away from her and the children. I never read anything about a stalker.

Reina 08-21-2005 04:30 PM

Actually I did come across an article taht talked about a stalker and it raised a big fuss cuz she had Scotland Yard security to protect her.

Madjenn 10-15-2006 01:04 PM

I found this pic of Marina and her children, Zenouska (left) and Christian (right)
https://i9.tinypic.com/4d6b7ep.jpg
(Isifa)

cowarth 03-07-2007 09:51 PM

Where is Zenouska Mowatt now attending school?

Quote:

The divorced 36-year-old mother of two, who is the daughter of Princess Alexandra and Sir Angus Ogilvy - who are alleged to be worth 20 million - was reported to be so short of money that she is planning to take her daughter, Zenouska, 12, out of a private school and move her to a comprehensive.
Zenouska finishes at 7,500 a year St George's Windsor Castle School - where pupils include Prince Andrew's daughter Princess Eugenie - this summer.
Is she still in a private school?

Warren 03-08-2007 02:11 AM

Cowarth, you have repeatedly asked this question in various threads. No-one seems to have any information on Ms Mowatt's schooling.

Madjenn 05-04-2007 09:54 AM

Zenouska Mowatt last Shoreham Airshow 2006.
TinyPic - Share The Experience!

lady_windsor 05-04-2007 11:30 AM

WOW she looks so much like princess Alexandra

CasiraghiTrio 05-13-2007 01:19 PM

Three Generations

Princess Alexandra, The Hon Lady Ogilvy
Marina Ogilvy
Zenouska Mowatt

Together at the "Children Helping Children" benefit concert at Cadogan Hall, London, February 2007
SOURCE: MAJESTY MAGAZINE/APRIL 2007/VOL. 28/ISSUE 4

CasiraghiTrio 05-13-2007 02:46 PM

Zenouska is, like Princess Eugenie, doing A Levels, no?

HRH Kimetha 05-13-2007 03:43 PM

Since she is the goddaughter of PoW, will he come in and help her out emotionally and financially?

Warren 05-14-2007 02:53 AM

See the link in post #24 above. That story is dated 2003, and there hasn't been much news (if any) on the personal circumstances of Marina Mowatt since then. The lack of news is probably an indication that things have settled down.

scooter 05-14-2007 08:12 AM

Boy she really does look significantly older than she actually is. Was she not quite attractive when she was young? Or am I remembering someone else? What's that saying about sins appearing as wrinkles?

Elspeth 05-14-2007 11:30 AM

She always had rather sharp features, which tend to make a person look older.

Not sure about sins appearing as wrinkles - wrinkles are more likely to be due to exposure to the sun than to sins. :sun:

qui mal y pense 05-14-2007 12:23 PM

Marina was never particularly attractive, You're probably thinking of Lady Helen Windsor.

Madjenn 05-14-2007 02:06 PM

Marina seems more bigger of the 40 years that she has, but her life has not been easy these 18 years. Also it is certain that she has been the only one guilty and but she commit many madnesses for love and she has paid it expensive. But time is a great healer and now this close to her mother and the rest of the royal family.

CasiraghiTrio 09-18-2007 03:45 PM

I am confused about comments here about Marina. What did she do that is bad? All I know about her is just a little bit, that she was a prestigious music student, at Guildhall School of Music, and she recorded many film & TV scores. I understand also she is goddaughter of Prince Charles and she came into a kind of "controversial" press by having Zenouska out of wedlock. But I think she married the father, Paul Mowatt, though they divorced within a few years, right? But besides having this unfortunate relationship, she has not had any other troubles, has she? I only wonder because, I don't understand how any of this is so bad. :huh:

Rebafan81 09-18-2007 04:06 PM

Can anyone tell me how to pronounce her daughters name and where did such an unusual name come from?

BeatrixFan 09-18-2007 04:07 PM

Quote:

I only wonder because, I don't understand how any of this is so bad.
Well, posing with a replica crown and publicly bashing her mother who's worked tirelessly for Britain without any praise wasn't exactly a wise move. Nobody minds an illegitimate child, indeed I hear in most parts of the UK it'll get you a three bedroom semi, but she seemed to go on a course of crapping on her own doorstep and when you consider that most Britons have it in for minor Royals, it wasn't a wise move.

Liz 09-18-2007 04:34 PM

Hi BeatrixFan, I definitely remember when all that happened. She said some not-so-nice things about her mother and it caused quite a furor at the time (well, at least in the Royalty magazines). I felt very bad for her parents.

CasiraghiTrio 09-18-2007 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeatrixFan (Post 668972)
Well, posing with a replica crown and publicly bashing her mother who's worked tirelessly for Britain without any praise wasn't exactly a wise move. Nobody minds an illegitimate child, indeed I hear in most parts of the UK it'll get you a three bedroom semi, but she seemed to go on a course of crapping on her own doorstep and when you consider that most Britons have it in for minor Royals, it wasn't a wise move.

Thanks, Sam, for answering my question. I didn't know about her saying bad things about her parents, nor about the replica crown. The only thing I remembered before which could be said to be negative was when she basically accused her dad of being a snob. I don't know if it was true that he was a royal snob, but obviously I was surprised she was say something so negative about her dad, because usually royals don't talk like that about each other. was she able to patch things up with him before he died?
I'm sorry to learn about her saying many things about both parents, but it looks like she and her mom have a good relationship now.

HMTLove23 09-18-2007 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebafan81 (Post 668970)
Can anyone tell me how to pronounce her daughters name and where did such an unusual name come from?

she only has one daughter.
I think the name comes from Russia.
and it is pronounced ZEN-oosh-kuh

CasiraghiTrio 09-18-2007 06:07 PM

Apparently Marina is recovered from her erstwhile financial trouble if Zenouska is enrolled in St George's Ascot. Zenouska also went to the same nursery school which Princess Eugenie attended. It's the Winkfield Montessori School.

CasiraghiTrio 12-16-2007 12:16 AM

ZENOUSKA May Mowatt
Born on 26 May 1990 (Roehampton, London)

CHRISTIAN Alexander Mowatt
Born on 4 June 1993

Father: PAUL Julian Mowatt *Born 28 November 1962
Mother: The Hon. MARINA Victoria Alexandra Ogilvy *31 July 1966
Maternal Grandparents: Princess Alexandra of Kent and The Hon. Sir Angus Ogilvy

Paul Mowatt (a photographer) and Marina Ogilvy married in February 1990. They divorced in 1997. The day the divorce was officially effected was 15 October 1997. SOURCE 1 ; SOURCE 2

In 2003, it was disclosed in the Telegraph that Marina Mowatt and her children were living in a rented cottage in Windsor Great Park. Apparently financial difficulties made it necessary for Marina to have a State pension to cover the rent cost. At the time it was suggested that Marina would have to transfer Zenouska for a local private school to a comprehensive school. SOURCE 3

The life and troubles of Marina Ogilvy Mowatt are well-covered in this three-page article on the Telegraph website. It was published in 2003 at the time of her financial problems being public domain, her father's death, etc.

cmkrcwi 12-16-2007 08:52 AM

I think Zenouska is a name she and Paul Mowatt made up. It's supposed to be some kind of reference to Zen Buddhism or something.

Didn't she claim that Princess Alexandra told her she either had to get married or have an abortion?

Skydragon 12-16-2007 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmkrcwi (Post 705515)
I think Zenouska is a name she and Paul Mowatt made up. It's supposed to be some kind of reference to Zen Buddhism or something.

Didn't she claim that Princess Alexandra told her she either had to get married or have an abortion?

There is no confirmation that this was posted by Mowatt but -
Behind the Name: Message: "Re: Zenouska - from Russian Zhenya (Yevgenia)?"

I have heard the name pronounced Zen-ooo-ska.:flowers: (As in Typh-oo-n)

Sasha3 03-26-2008 03:24 PM

Anyone know where Marina Ogilvy is?

Where is Marina Ogilvy doing now and has anyone got the latest pics of her? I can't spell her married name and I know she is divorced. What do her kids look like now?

morhange 03-26-2008 10:03 PM

Her daughter Zenouska has a myspace, you can google her.

Claire 03-27-2008 12:38 PM

If I remeber correctly she is in America, possible LA. She got her degree in music composing for feature films and she went to America is get a lot. I think Christian went with her and Zenouska followed when she finished school. So I think the whole family is now out there.
So she James Ogilvy.

DuchessCharlotte 06-23-2008 05:51 PM

Marina is not in America. She still lives in England with her children. Her daughter just finished her A levels and she is supossed to start college this fall, unless like many other royals she decide to take a gap year.

liberty1 06-24-2008 06:35 PM

I agree with DuchessCharlotte...

Marina and her children live in Windsor still.... they're definatley not in America!

lallettac 09-08-2008 08:42 AM

can you post a photo of Marina's wedding please? I'm curious about her wedding dress!!

Incas 09-12-2008 11:47 PM

Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected
It wasn't what I would call a wedding dress.

jcbcode99 09-13-2008 12:05 AM

It's one thing to want to be an original but this was a little too much

Elspeth 09-13-2008 12:20 AM

I think the black was some sort of protest statement, if I remember right. She didn't like the fact that her parents were trying to present a united front at the wedding after giving her so much grief about it beforehand.

lallettac 09-13-2008 08:30 AM

thank you for the pic. I think Marina's dress is awful!!

Warren 09-13-2008 08:56 AM

She was a very troubled teenager who rebelled against her parents by deliberately publicly embarrassing them and by extension the Queen. She and her children have since been seen at events with the extended Royal Family so all has been forgiven.

Incas 09-13-2008 08:59 AM

I think she was already several month pregnant with her first child. It wouldn't surprise me if the outfit was chosen to hide the pregnancy. People consider black slimming and the red bolero being a bright distraction.

Duchess Ravenna 10-15-2008 12:09 AM

Apparently bridges are being unburned and fences mended: Marina, as well as Fergie herself, will attend Princess Beatrice's 18th birthday bash at Windsor.

Marina will be escorted by her daughter Zenouska, one of Bea's best friends, and the Queen will be in attendance to meet Chelsy Davy for the first time. At least so says today's Daily Mail.

Dierna23 07-08-2009 10:53 PM

Marina Mowatt with her mother Princess Alexandra, 23 April 2006

Warren 07-09-2009 08:35 AM

From this link courtesy of Elly C, Princess Alexandra and Zenouska Mowatt were in the Royal Box at Wimbledon on Friday 3 July.

Mermaid1962 11-16-2009 03:52 PM

I can see the resemblance between Marina and her mother here, something which I hadn't seen in the past. In fact, I can see Marina's resemblance to Lady Gabriella.:flowers:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dierna23 (Post 963490)
Marina Mowatt with her mother Princess Alexandra, 23 April 2006

Hopewell 11-20-2009 12:56 PM

Any updates on this family?

Marina is a very interesting person--anyone have any updates on her or her children?? Zenouska should be out of school or at University? Anyone know anything?

charlottestreasures 07-11-2010 09:59 PM

Zenouska Update

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hopewell (Post 1021625)
Marina is a very interesting person--anyone have any updates on her or her children?? Zenouska should be out of school or at University? Anyone know anything?

"......Zenouska Mowatt are also believed to be among the assistants she has lost. "

in the recent article about Sarah's (The Duchess of York) staff being
dismissed.

jack69 07-16-2010 06:09 PM

Zenouska

You are very wrong, Zenouska has never worked for Fergie, she helped her out on a recent trip to NY when one of Fergie's aides took ill, but that was that.
The Daily Mail reported the blunder on the 12th of July, stating that it was a mistake that Zenouska had ever worked for Fergie.
Zenouska has recently worked for the Bridgman Art Library in Paris, and when she is in England divides her time between her Mothers home in Windsor and her Fathers home in Richmond.

jack69 07-16-2010 06:27 PM

Sadly you all seem to be relying on tabloid gossip .... Zenouska was never lent a dress for anything, her Mother and Father are good friends with Vivienne Westwood, and therefore would never have the need to ask any member of the family for any such thing ! .... Furthermore, Zenouska and her Brother Christian had their education paid for by their parents. Marina works as a composer for film and television, and their Father works as a photographer / designer. Their parents keep a very low profile these days, but of course these things never get reported in the tabloids that you're all so fond of quoting !
Finally, Marina does not (once again thanks to tabloid gutter journalism) live of 'benefits' of any sort whatsoever ! She is a working Mother and along with the children;s Father provides all for the children.
Yes, Marina has a house in Windsor great park, but prior to Marina and Paul getting divorced they bought a house on the beach in Norfolk, which to this day they still own and is used by Marina and Paul respectively, and of course the children now benefit now that they are young adults.
It's very easy to speculate on these forums about this or that, but based on what ? Tabloid gossip ? ... You need to remember that 'fickle' comments about how the children's Mother has aged could be read by the children and deemed extremely hurtful.

Lumutqueen 07-17-2010 06:23 AM

Sorry, but all we can do is rely on tabloid gossip, due to the fact that we do not know the royals personally.
Could you provide us with some proof as to your information your providing?
If Zenouska has never worked for Fergie, where has she worked?

Just because you are best friends with Vivienne Westwood, it does not mean you always wear her clothes, some of them are truely horrible. And Marina may like the wear something else. If she borrowed a dress from Bea or Eugenie, whats wrong with that?

Marina and her family live and incredible quiet lifestyle, so why would the press pick up on any of the information you supposedly found out about? Members quote the articles that we find about her, because again that is all we have. From what i've looked through, the articles are mainly from the independent or the telegraph, very respected broadsheets in England.

You say all these things, but how do you know them for truth? Do you know Marina and her family? Or are you just speculating too?

Well considering all we have to go on is Tabloid gossip, that is all we can comment on. This forum is about expressing our opinions, and if a member thinks that Marina has not aged very well, then that is their right to think that. I doubt the children even read this forum.

NoorMeansLight 07-17-2010 07:31 AM

I for one am glad I never rely on tabloids.:cool: But you, Jack69, seem to be in the know.;) Are you related to Marina's family?

Lumutqueen 07-17-2010 07:39 AM

Nobody relies on the tabloids, but if that's the only way we get information on Marina and her children, what are we supposed to do?
Not all of us are in the know like Jack69.

Dierna23 07-17-2010 08:08 AM

I don't believe everything I read in the tabloids but sadly that's the only information about people like Marina Mowatt and her daughter Zenouska we get.

So, thanks for your information, Jack69! :flowers: It's great to hear that she is working or has worked for an Art Library in Paris.

Hopewell 07-22-2010 07:09 PM

Tabloids & Gossip

I remember the story about Marina being on welfare. I figured it was total crap. After all her family is VERY wealthy. I also thought, well maybe for a while after the divorce she needed benefits to stay independent--not have to crawl to the family or something. After all, if she has worked, she's paid in so to speak. I think she's very interesting--and so likely her kids are too. Marina's distant cousins the Lascelles [Lord Harewood's sons and grandsons] are mostly in the music industry, one of the Gloucester girls worked behind the scenes in film, so it's interesting to see what the "minor" royals do when not on the balcony at Trooping the Colour!

Opal 07-22-2010 07:29 PM

It is good to hear about the minor royals from time to time and what they do for a living. Afterall we tend to forget they have to earn their living.

BlackTulip 07-23-2010 02:10 PM

They have to earn their living, they're retired from public life. You/we should leave them alone.

Lumutqueen 07-24-2010 06:59 AM

We aren't doing/saying anything bad about Marina, we are expressing our opinions, which is our right seeing as she is an extended member of the BRF. Why should we leave them alone? It is highly unlikely that they every read this forum.

dbarn67 07-24-2010 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hopewell (Post 1115619)
I remember the story about Marina being on welfare. I figured it was total crap. After all her family is VERY wealthy. I also thought, well maybe for a while after the divorce she needed benefits to stay independent--not have to crawl to the family or something. After all, if she has worked, she's paid in so to speak. I think she's very interesting--and so likely her kids are too. Marina's distant cousins the Lascelles [Lord Harewood's sons and grandsons] are mostly in the music industry, one of the Gloucester girls worked behind the scenes in film, so it's interesting to see what the "minor" royals do when not on the balcony at Trooping the Colour!

I had read versions of the story about Marina being on welfare after her marriage and giving negative interviews to press abut her parents. My understanding that her financial downfall made it to the British press. Also I had read that Prince Charles intervened with Princess Alexandra (not sure if Mr. Ogilvy was still alive then) to bring her daughter back into the fold. He was supposedly adamant (and has a good relationship with Princess A) about the fact that even a member (even if a bit further down the inheritence line)of the royal family whose parents are solvent should NOT be on public assistance. Kudos to Prince Charles for engineering the reconciliation if it's true.

Zonk 07-24-2010 10:13 AM

Isn't Charles also Marina's godfather?

Regardless of the welfare story, I am glad that Marina is doing well. Although she grew up in the royal family (albeit a minor one) it must have been hard growing up the daughter of Alexandra and the grand daughter of Marina.

Yes, she had some public trying times but she has appeared to have done a decent job of learning from her public trials and raising her children in a positive way. Kudos to her. She could have continued her destruction path following the fight with her parents but I am glad that all parties have moved on and have a positive relationship once again.

BlackTulip 08-02-2010 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zonk (Post 1116268)
Regardless of the welfare story, I am glad that Marina is doing well. Although she grew up in the royal family (albeit a minor one) it must have been hard growing up the daughter of Alexandra and the grand daughter of Marina.

Why should that have been hard, if you don't mind my asking? Princess Alexandra has been a perfect mother to her children. James and Marina are well-bred.

Zonk 08-02-2010 12:43 AM

I think its hard for anyone who grows up with a well known/famous parent. People are constantly comparing you to your parent, and your sucess and failures are often compared to theirs. So I can see how a child of the 80's, who is royal and yet not royal could find it difficult to find her place.

You must remember that at the time of Marina's birth and pretty much until the arrival of Diana and Sarah, Alexandra was much more well known and respected member of the Royal Family than she is today. According to a friend, stories used to appear regularly in the British papers during the 60's and 70's about Alexandra, Katharine of Kent as well as Princess Margaret like they appeared in the 80's and 90's about Sarah and Diana and now for William and Harry. Alexandra is still well known but she is well known to mainly to an older generation who remembers Alexandra as a young beautiful Princess who at first accompanied her mother, Princess Marina at her engagements and then later began to do engagements on her own. Marina was also well known for her beauty, fashion sense and the fact that her husband died in WWII and was popular when she first arrived in England (as she was a Princess of Greece albeit in exile) until her death in 1968.

So that's a lot to be compared to. Plus Alexandra is old school and while I am certain she loves her daughter, she is has been taught since birth (by Marina) to remember that she is a Princess and must act accordingly. So I am guessing that the Marina scandal of the 90's was a true headache for Alexandra. As much as she probably regretted the estrangement from her daughter, she was also embarassed by the bad publicity and how it affected the BRF.

Catherine Helvin 08-04-2010 06:49 AM

The abusive marriage that Marina was in must have been very traumatic for her but the abuse was very definitely NOT her fault. Domestic abuse is always the perpetrator's fault.

Lumutqueen 08-04-2010 07:33 AM

Marina was in an abusive marriage?

eya 11-08-2018 02:16 AM

Zenouska Mowatt at a night out in London

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DrcoB2YXgAAyNKs.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DrcoB2VX0AE5tfC.jpg

Biri 11-08-2018 02:29 AM

Did Marina's husband use physical violence against her?

Curryong 11-08-2018 02:48 AM

I think you could say they had a tempestuous relationship! I remember bits of pieces of it all.
More on Marina, from 1997.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...t-1250406.html

Denville 11-08-2018 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curryong (Post 2168692)
I think you could say they had a tempestuous relationship! I remember bits of pieces of it all.
More on Marina, from 1997.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...t-1250406.html

I don't remember this.. but then I never paid attention to her after the wedding scandal. Marina tried to keep up getting press attention but after a couple of years, she faded out... and no one took any interest in her...

Biri 11-08-2018 04:09 AM

Out of wedlock pregnancy and a "shotgun" wedding considered a scandal in 1990?

Curryong 11-08-2018 04:25 AM

I think Princess Alexandra had been a popular member of the BRF when she was younger and was still reasonably well-liked in the 1980s/90s. She and Angus Ogilvy were quite well known still while Marina was going through her rebellious stage.

And no, people weren't really used to shotgun marriages within the parimeters of the broader BRF, even in the 1990s. In fact I don't know anyone in the family except the Harewoods who had had illegitimate children at that stage. I remember the Queen having to give her formal consent to the marriage and her leaving off the 'trusty and well-beloved' bit. The newspapers made quite a big deal of that.

JR76 11-08-2018 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biri (Post 2168704)

Although Alexandra and her daughter were practically unknown here it was reported in both Swedish and Danish tabloids at the time as part of the ongoing saga of troubled Windsor marriages and other scandals. The tabloids were already sharpening their knives for the carnage that was to come.

Stefan 11-08-2018 10:22 AM

I remember too that it was covered a lot here in the german press. But as far as i remember it ws not only about the pregnancy and shotgun Wedding but also becaue Mari9na critized her paretns for beeing bad parents etc.

Denville 11-08-2018 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biri (Post 2168704)

for a royal yes...

Denville 11-08-2018 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stefan (Post 2168797)
I remember too that it was covered a lot here in the german press. But as far as i remember it ws not only about the pregnancy and shotgun Wedding but also becaue Mari9na critized her paretns for beeing bad parents etc.

Yes she made a big fuss, knocked her parents in the papers, and then ended up in a bad marriage that ended it seems in trouble and divorce....

eya 02-05-2019 02:22 PM

Zenouska Mowatt attend at a event last night in the Chateau of Versailles

https://www.instagram.com/p/BtglkOkgchm/

Zenouska Mowat attend last night at the celebration of the 20th Anniversary of the Oxford Philarmonic Orchestra

https://www.instagram.com/p/BuswtETASvb/

Zenouska Mowat at the opening of the new Misela store on Mount Street, London

https://media.gettyimages.com/photos...e-id1133045475
https://media.gettyimages.com/photos...e-id1133045485
https://instagram.fskg1-1.fna.fbcdn.....fna.fbcdn.net

eya 04-01-2019 04:10 PM

Zenouska Mowatt attends a private dinner hosted by Maria Kastani for close friends at the newly relaunched Momo on 1 April in London

https://media.gettyimages.com/photos...e-id1134329397
https://media.gettyimages.com/photos...e-id1134329393

Zenouska Mowatt attended at a charity event last night 3 April

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bv1FBOSg7Iq/

eya 05-26-2019 03:52 PM

Happy Birthday to Zenouska who celebrates her 29th Birthday today!

https://twitter.com/i/status/1132727492035391488
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bx-P5BJgCy1/