The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   British Royal History (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f165/)
-   -   George III (1738-1820) and Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz (1744-1818) (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f165/george-iii-1738-1820-and-charlotte-of-mecklenburg-strelitz-1744-1818-a-6572.html)

Durham 03-16-2020 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by An Ard Ri (Post 2301602)
Prior to that the last influx of French were the persecuted Huguenots who fled the ultra Catholic Bourbons!

Yes indeed & a very successful group they became in both Britain & Ireland. The Huguenots I think were a socially diverse lot. I would imagine most of the French refugees of the late C18th were aristocrats although I don't have a lot of knowledge about them. Apart from reading the Scarlet Pimpernel!

An Ard Ri 03-16-2020 04:34 PM

I have Huguenot ancestry they settled in Isle of Wight .

I can imagine the fear at the court of George III that the ideals of the French Revolution would make their way across the English Channel.

Durham 03-16-2020 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by An Ard Ri (Post 2301607)
I have Huguenot ancestry they settled in Isle of Wight .

I can imagine the fear at the court of George III that the ideals of the French Revolution would make their way across the English Channel.

They were certainly fearful. Radicals like Thomas Paine were threatened with arrest. The Peterloo Massacre, albeit much later, is another example of paranoid government action over political radicalism.

The Americans of course were an example of (North American) Britons who had been inspired by enlightenment ideals.

An Ard Ri 03-16-2020 05:29 PM

During the years during 1791-1794 there was a large scale exodus of clergy,religious and nobility from France escaping the massacres and Terror.

In September 1792 for instance it was reported that 4,000 French émigré landed in the UK.

Countessmeout 03-16-2020 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by An Ard Ri (Post 2301621)
During the years during 1791-1794 there was a large scale exodus of clergy,religious and nobility from France escaping the massacres and Terror.

In September 1792 for instance it was reported that 4,000 French émigré landed in the UK.

The exodus of the clergy was spurred by the Civil Constitution of the clergy. It had been created in 1790 but the king forestalled it by refusing to sign. Those priests who did not agree to swear the oath were to be imprisoned. About half the clergy took the oath. Non-jurists as they were called found themselves in chains in prison ships where they ended up dying from conditions. Many of the clergy fled to the UK and other countries to escape prison or having to take it.

In 1792 the September Massacres saw the murder of 1100-1600 prisoners in Paris in a period of 4 days. It was this event that led to the famous murder of Marat in his bath tub (his murdered Charlotte Corday held him to blame for the massacres). 191 of them were Roman catholic clergy who were prisoners at Carmes Prison. 3 bishops, 127 priests, 56 monks and nuns and 5 lay people were killed. October 1926 Pope Pius beatified the group as the Holy September Martyrs.

CyrilVladisla 04-26-2021 07:17 PM

King George III entrusted his tutor, John Stuart, Earl of Bute with the task of finding him a wife among the German Protestant princesses. Bute came up with Sophia Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz.