The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997) (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f38/)
-   -   Diana and Dodi Statue Unveiled; D&D dolls for sale on eBay (2005) (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f38/diana-and-dodi-statue-unveiled-d-and-d-dolls-for-sale-on-ebay-2005-a-6546.html)

iowabelle 07-20-2005 07:25 PM

Diana and Dodi Statue Unveiled; D&D dolls for sale on eBay (2005)
 
They had these dolls, in holiday clothes, for sale today. The opening bid was $29.99 but nobody had bid on them.

I have never seen a Dodi doll before. (No, I won't be buying them.)

Elspeth 07-20-2005 07:43 PM

Well, the opening bid might well be $29.95, but who knows how much the reserve is. They could be wanting thousands!

I'm surprised the Diana Fund hasn't sued the dickens out of whoever created that doll.

iowabelle 07-20-2005 08:52 PM

They looked pretty chintzy.

tiaraprin 07-24-2005 01:21 AM

This Is An Outrage!!!
 
This is a disgusting outrage!! Making personal profit off of the Princess and whoever was in the car with her smacks of disrespect, greed, and dishonor. I hope poor William and Harry don't hear about this!! I am writing to Ebay to take that abomination off of their auctions!!!

Australian 07-24-2005 01:22 AM

the dolls are a tacky idea.

tiaraprin 07-24-2005 01:33 AM

My Note to Ebay!
 
Message: I recently saw that someone put up for auction a set of dolls that were of Princess Diana and Dodi Al-Fayed. This is GROSS MISTASTE; profiting off of the tragic death of a woman who was hounded to her grave!! I am deeply offended and wish that you would not allow any more of these malicious for profit auctions!!!

sara1981 07-24-2005 02:18 PM

i dont like ebay!

but i wont wanted dolls of Diana and Dodi but i would agree with tiaraprin but i dont hates Diana

Sara Boyce

iowabelle 07-24-2005 02:49 PM

I guess one person's bad taste is another person's memorabilia. (No, I won't be bidding on it.) Where do you draw the line?

karla64 08-24-2005 11:51 AM

Diana and Dodi Statue Unveiled
 
https://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty...anadodistatue/

infantaellamaria 08-24-2005 11:55 AM

Tacky! That guy is absolutely tasteless!

iowabelle 08-24-2005 11:56 AM

What an odd statue.

tiaraprin 08-24-2005 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karla64

That is a tacky memorial to the Princess. Mohammed Al-Fayed is still trying to gain more attention and fame from the Princess' legacy. It is truly disgusting.

Why is she in a "skimpy bikini" frollicking with Al-Fayed's son Dodi? You would think Mr. Al-Fayed would make a more dignified memorial to Diana and his son!

Idriel 08-24-2005 12:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by tiaraprin
That is a tacky memorial to the Princess. Mohammed Al-Fayed is still trying to gain more attention and fame from the Princess' legacy. It is truly disgusting.

Why is she in a "skimpy bikini" frollicking with Al-Fayed's son Dodi? You would think Mr. Al-Fayed would make a more dignified memorial to Diana and his son!

I second your post. I though the Harrods Gold memorial was the summit but this beat it easily

Another view of the horror:

The owner of the Bronze Age foundry, Mark Kennedy polishes Innocent Victims - a bronze statue of Diana, Princess of Wales and Dodi Al Fayed, in east London, Wednesday Aug. 24, 2005. Commissioned by Dodi's father, Harrods' owner Mohamed Al Fayed, the sculpture by family friend Bill Mitchell is due to be erected in the famous Knighstbridge department store. (AP Photo/PA, Chris Young)

tiaraprin 08-24-2005 12:27 PM

I wish the Queen could have that tacky thing removed and destroyed!

karla64 08-24-2005 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiaraprin
I wish the Queen could have that tacky thing removed and destroyed!

I agree but William and harry could have removed too.......because his mother...


karlavm

Elspeth 08-24-2005 12:42 PM

I guess Harrods won't be getting Royal Warrant from Prince William any time soon, once he starts being able to give them out.

Mapple 08-24-2005 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infantaellamaria
Tacky! That guy is absolutely tasteless!

Seconded... What a shameless exploitation of the memory of Diana.

Reina 08-24-2005 12:49 PM

Very crass of him to do.

princess gertrude 08-24-2005 12:54 PM

I totally agree that this is one of the most "tasteless" things I've ever seen. What was he thinking, besides cashing in on Diana (yet again!). I have no respect for this fellow. And I do believe that the Queen, Charles, William and Harry will not find this amusing!

iowabelle 08-24-2005 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiaraprin
Why is she in a "skimpy bikini" frollicking with Al-Fayed's son Dodi? You would think Mr. Al-Fayed would make a more dignified memorial to Diana and his son!

It's not a skimpy bikini, it's a skimpy dress.

iowabelle 08-24-2005 01:41 PM

I wonder if his tributes to Diana have ever resulted in increased revenues to his store. I couldn't imagine that it would have any positive impact.

I think Mr. Al-Fayed is having difficulty moving on from his dreams of what might have been.

melissajames 08-24-2005 01:43 PM

Really bad taste. I wish someone would actually tell the old man.

segolen 08-24-2005 01:45 PM

the sculptor should be fired. IMO
the satue is nothing more then clishe. I was expecting more .

Princess BellyFlop 08-24-2005 01:50 PM

Ouach. But for just how long were they together - not counting the romantic notion that they might be together for eternity? It's very tacky from Dodi's father to attempt cashing in on his son last affair. And that statue is unflattering to Diana.:eek:

susan alicia 08-24-2005 01:55 PM

I did not expect more. He is doing as he pleases and I do not think he is cashing in, as was previously posted, he has cash and there is no accounting for taste, this is his.

Anyway, I would not go to Harrods unless you want to see the foodhall, Harvey Nichols is better.







Quote:

Originally Posted by segolen
the sculptor should be fired. IMO
the satue is nothing more then clishe. I was expecting more .


grim_lady 08-24-2005 02:06 PM

I don’t really get why people say it’s bad. The artist made the sculpture as a gift to Dodi’s family, he didn’t just decide to do the sculpture by himself. Also I don’t get why people say it’s “tasteless” because what’s wrong with a sculpture depicting a couple running down the beach and staring lovingly into each other’s eyes?

I like the sculpture and I think it’s sweet and romantic and not tasteless at all. I think that it's a beautiful reminder of the relationship between Dodi and Diana.

Lourdes 08-24-2005 02:11 PM

The premise of the sculpture is not a tribute, we don't need a statue to honor the memory of Diana and Dodi's relationship. This is Al Fayed's attempt to make even more money. Why isn't this in him home where he can look at the sculpture in private? The fact that he is displaying it in public is to draw attention to his store. Aren't there any trademark laws that protect William & Harry from having their mom exploited? I think it is was commissioned with the wrong intentions in mind.

Lady Jennifer 08-24-2005 02:18 PM

Is Diana bronze the tackiest statue ever?

13:28pm 24th August 2005

A controversial new life-size statue of Diana, Princess of Wales and Dodi Fayed has been unveiled, nearly eight years after the couple died in a Paris car crash..........
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...e_id=1770&ct=5

grim_lady 08-24-2005 02:22 PM

Well I still refuse to call the statue tacky because when I look at the statute I really don’t see anything wrong! Also of course it was done for some profit but the choice of having it displayed was Al-Fayed's. Although a lot of people think that he is trying so hard to use Diana’s memory to give himself more publicity I think Diana only comes up because she was in the car crash with Dodi and they had a relationship at the time. Maybe Al-Fayed should start putting more attention into his son rather than the couple but I don’t think that Al-Fayed would dip so low as to exploit the death of his own son for press. I think that he had this sculpture made with good intentions.

Idriel 08-24-2005 02:58 PM

I see what you mean Grim Lady. But the way Al-Fayed is trying to forever link Diana's memory with his son is tacky and is exploitation. As one man comment on the daily mail website, 'they were boyfriend and girlfriend, not Romeo and Juliette'. He may be grieving his son but why casting his love story with Di in Bronze and exposing it in a shopping mall? And I sorry, but the arrangement is very distastefully. The skimpy dress, Dodi's bare chess, the silly looking bird, even the name... That's the kind of cheesy thing who would grace a Barbara Cartland book.
BTW, I recommend reading the daily mail readers comments, they are hilarious. There is a man advising Al-Fayed to create a slot coin in the statue which would deliver Enia songs at each donation :D :D .

Lady Jennifer 08-24-2005 03:03 PM

Just had to throw in my .02 cent view :D

I think the statue is tacky. If he had made the statue for his own home that is fine, do what you want. Its your home & no one but you & family & whoever else you invite in get to see it. But I'm assuming this is going to be seen/is on display at Harrods, right? Will it be next to his 'shrine' w/ the 'engagement ring' & the 'glass' that they drank from on their last night (is it still even on display? I was in London in 2000 & I took pictures of it- the only place in all of Harrods that you can use a camera)? I understand he is still mourning his son & I know if I lost a child it would be so unbearable, but enough is enough. If he wants to keep his sons memory alive & spend a ton of money.....donate some money to a university, a hospital, etc. & and put it to good use in honor of his son (& I'm not saying he hasn't maybe donated money in the past. I really don't know b/c I've never heard abt. him making donations.).

I hope no one has been offended by what I said....like I said its just my .02 cent view on things ;)

runaway princess 08-24-2005 03:29 PM

Why is Dodi in the statue?...He really didn't do anything to make someone do a statue of him..well except having a rich father...and oh yeah...dating Diana!....Someone should of told them that the statue isn't going to be a success through anyone's eyes!

Lady Jennifer 08-24-2005 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by runaway princess
Why is Dodi in the statue?

His father commissioned the statue. I guess it is his way of living in the past....of a time that once was. Overall I just feel sorry for him.

Elspeth 08-24-2005 04:51 PM

Quote:

Anyway, I would not go to Harrods unless you want to see the foodhall, Harvey Nichols is better.
The food hall at Fortnum and Mason is pretty good too. Heh - means you don't have to go to Harrods at all!

Duchess 08-24-2005 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grim_lady
I donít really get why people say itís bad. The artist made the sculpture as a gift to Dodiís family, he didnít just decide to do the sculpture by himself. Also I donít get why people say itís ďtastelessĒ because whatís wrong with a sculpture depicting a couple running down the beach and staring lovingly into each otherís eyes?

I like the sculpture and I think itís sweet and romantic and not tasteless at all. I think that it's a beautiful reminder of the relationship between Dodi and Diana.

we're certainly all entitled to our opinion but I think the problem is that Mr. Al Fayed is trying make more of the relationship than there possibly was. He believes they were engaged while some of Diana's closest friends say that she didn't accept the ring as an engagement ring. We'll never know for sure what the ring was meant for or how it was accepted but the sculpture is going to be there for a very long time.

Humera 08-24-2005 05:09 PM

a long time ago I used to think this guy was doing all of this because he was heart broken over his son's death. But whatever memories he had have long turned to delusions. He can make all the outrageous comments and allegations about Diana and Dodi because he knows they're not alive to tell the truth.

Jackswife 08-24-2005 05:46 PM

I find it appalling!:eek: IMHO, Dodi was a rebound fling from Hasnat Khan for Diana,and despite the gifts Dodi was showering her with, despite the fact that they seemed to be happy to be together at the time of the tragedy I just can't see that she was going to marry him. (I personally think she was still carrying a torch for Kahn but that's another thread). I think Mr Al-Fayed is really delusional. I'm sorry for his grief but this smacks of exploitation.:mad:

Noelle9982 08-24-2005 06:16 PM

Let's put it this way: the statue is no Rodin. The likenesses of the two don't even really resemble Diana or Dodi much either.

Having said that, though, Al-Fayed's commissioning of this statue is no more exploitation of Diana than the hundreds of mini-series that have been on tv, or the books written about her. And what about the tapes, the secret tapes, that were recently released and show her with her speech coach. Anyone that has any connection has been trying to "cash in" since Diana's death. I'm not saying it's right but you can't be anymore annoyed at Dodi's father than anyone else who's done the same thing.

sara1981 08-24-2005 07:04 PM

i would agree with posts!

Prince William would needs to ROYALS WARRANTS for statues of his beloved mother but he not saying to answer YES because he is future King of England! but i think William would let tell Mr.Fayeds to agree to making statues they without permission of Prince William and Prince Harry because William and Harry still grief for 8 years since his mother's death.

Sara Boyce

Ennyllorac 08-24-2005 07:13 PM

It is just plain ugly... :eek:

EmpressRouge 08-24-2005 07:30 PM

Al-Fayed is totally romanticizing Dodi and Diana's relationship. They were together - for what? - a month before they died, and he makes it look like they were life soul mate (they could have been, but who knows). I've known of high school romances that have lasted longer that deserve statues more.
Al-Fayed has always accused the royal family and Prince Philip in particular of being racist and though his accusasions are not completely unfounded, I can see why the royals not wanting to associate w/ him after putting out tacky, tasteless displays like this on top of all the other things he does "in memory" of Diana and Dodi.

tiaraprin 08-24-2005 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iowabelle
I wonder if his tributes to Diana have ever resulted in increased revenues to his store. I couldn't imagine that it would have any positive impact.

I think Mr. Al-Fayed is having difficulty moving on from his dreams of what might have been.


You are so right Iowabelle. That man is a real troublemaker!!

BeccaLynn07 08-24-2005 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noelle9982
Let's put it this way: the statue is no Rodin. The likenesses of the two don't even really resemble Diana or Dodi much either.

I don't think it looks like either one of at all them either. I think it's just silly because I didn't think they were together long before they died...and I think the fact that they made the statue of Diana in a flimsy dress makes it weird. I'll totally admit, I think it's tacky also. (Just my opinion of the statue, please don't take offense.)

shania0828 08-24-2005 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ennyllorac
It is just plain ugly... :eek:

I definitely agree. It no more looks like Diana than I do and I don't think it was necessary to have her in a skimpy dress and Dodi with his shirt open. I think al Fayed is taking things too far with this one.

Emmily 08-24-2005 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Idriel
I see what you mean Grim Lady. But the way Al-Fayed is trying to forever link Diana's memory with his son is tacky and is exploitation. As one man comment on the daily mail website, 'they were boyfriend and girlfriend, not Romeo and Juliette'. He may be grieving his son but why casting his love story with Di in Bronze and exposing it in a shopping mall? And I sorry, but the arrangement is very distastefully. The skimpy dress, Dodi's bare chess, the silly looking bird, even the name... That's the kind of cheesy thing who would grace a Barbara Cartland book.
BTW, I recommend reading the daily mail readers comments, they are hilarious. There is a man advising Al-Fayed to create a slot coin in the statue which would deliver Enia songs at each donation :D :D .

Could you provide a link the the daily mail? I would love to read some the comments. Thanks

Emmily 08-24-2005 10:08 PM

Do any of you think there will be such a negative reaction to this statue that it will be taken down?

Lady Jennifer 08-24-2005 10:18 PM

Here ya go. It was on the 1st pg of the thread
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...e_id=1770&ct=5


Quote:

Originally Posted by Emmily
Could you provide a link the the daily mail? I would love to read some the comments. Thanks


segolen 08-24-2005 10:31 PM

the reason I said is tastles is because Diana and Dodi are not realy an item. The relationship was too short and at the end. It doesnít not represent Dianaí life, or even Dodiís life. As the way as I get the message is that the sculptor wanted them to be an item together, but in real they were not. This is the reason I said it was an a clichť...not that I have anything against Dodi's family

Harry's polo shirt 08-24-2005 11:08 PM

their faces dont' look human. They look very odd.

Dodi is in it because Dodi's dad, Al-Fayed, claims that they were assasinated because Princess Diana and Dodi were going to get married. So because of her relationship with Dodi, she was killed.

Harmony 08-24-2005 11:52 PM

I don't like the statues-not done in good taste.

susan alicia 08-25-2005 04:15 AM

true, but I like the tiles on walls (hope he has kept those)

off topic: re F&M, when I was there at the top floor, Terence Stamp had the table next to ours and he is still very handsome :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elspeth
The food hall at Fortnum and Mason is pretty good too. Heh - means you don't have to go to Harrods at all!


tiaraprin 08-25-2005 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry's polo shirt
their faces dont' look human. They look very odd.

Dodi is in it because Dodi's dad, Al-Fayed, claims that they were assasinated because Princess Diana and Dodi were going to get married. So because of her relationship with Dodi, she was killed.

Diana wasn't in love with Dodi. She still loved Hasnat Khan.

Noelle9982 08-26-2005 12:03 AM

None of us know who Diana was or wasn't in love with. We can speculate and have our own opinions but as far as I can gather, none of us knew her personally.

segolen 08-26-2005 01:30 AM

Sure we do LOLÖ.weíve done so much gossip about her ,so I might say we know her pretty well LMAO, or at least we try

Incas 08-26-2005 12:43 PM

Does anyone know what kind of bird that was? Its wingspan looks unnatural.

iowabelle 08-26-2005 01:13 PM

I think it's intended to be a seagull.

Diana's face looks unnatural too.

Noelle9982 08-26-2005 01:54 PM

Segolen~
Lord knows there's been enough press about her.

Incas 08-26-2005 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noelle9982
Segolen~
Lord knows there's been enough press about her.

That's probably why the whole thing looks so weird. With the tons of photos available on her from every conceivable angle, you'd think the artist would know how to capture a better likeness. Yet all three of the subjects in his piece look "strange" is the best way I can discribe it. Pictures of Dodi from the cruises make him out to be, if not at Diana's height, slightly shorter than her and not in the fittest physique. The statue of him looks much taller and slimmer. There is something off balance the way Diana's stands. I know she practiced ballet, but it would take an acrobat to manage that pose.

Gloriana 08-26-2005 04:12 PM

Let me first say that I can totally understand Mr Al-Fayed's grief over losing his child. However, he is living in the past and what he's doing is really not helping the memory of his son or Diana.

And what about Diana's sons? How about asking them what they think of having their mother displayed like this? Judging by their plea, made only a year after their mother's death, that people move on and let their mother rest in peace, I'm guessing that they're not happy about this.

Of course, Mr Al-Fayed has the right to memorize Dodi and Diana, but then how about having the statue displayed in the privacy of his own house? That would certainly be more considerate to Diana's family and friends.

CATS 08-26-2005 06:14 PM

If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all! He he he he he, from Bambi.

I will choose to say nothing at all!

Panther2000 08-27-2005 10:37 PM

I will just say this. BAD TASTE

But, I do belive that he is a father missing his son ( who he thinks may have been murdered). No one here really knows how a Parent feels with a death of a Healthy child. ( Thank God, My kids are ok & safe) Being that he has no proof of any funny business going on really.

But, I do agree that he is also using not only Diana but his sons death for publicity. & this is just another missstep by him. I read that years ago ( many many many years) that he tried to buy into the English Society ( or full blown Citizenship) there & the Royal family put a stop to that. This I belive is just another way to try to hurt the family. Because regardless of how some diana bashers may not like it. Diana was & Still is loved WORLD WIDE. & this is his way of Bringing up Diana once again, & in doing so trying to stick it to the FIRM:) . & now that Charles has a new wife. What better way than to have that THING on all the papers front & center.

I think that it is both His hurt feelings over his son & he need to humiliate(sp) the royal family. That makes him a truly sad man.

tiaraprin 08-27-2005 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panther2000
I will just say this. BAD TASTE

But, I do belive that he is a father missing his son ( who he thinks may have been murdered). No one here really knows how a Parent feels with a death of a Healthy child. ( Thank God, My kids are ok & safe) Being that he has no proof of any funny business going on really.

But, I do agree that he is also using not only Diana but his sons death for publicity. & this is just another missstep by him. I read that years ago ( many many many years) that he tried to buy into the English Society ( or full blown Citizenship) there & the Royal family put a stop to that. This I belive is just another way to try to hurt the family. Because regardless of how some diana bashers may not like it. Diana was & Still is loved WORLD WIDE. & this is his way of Bringing up Diana once again, & in doing so trying to stick it to the FIRM:) . & now that Charles has a new wife. What better way than to have that THING on all the papers front & center.


I think that it is both His hurt feelings over his son & he need to humiliate(sp) the royal family. That makes him a truly sad man.


Very well said Pather!! An interesting opinion that has a great chance of being true!!!

Panther2000 08-27-2005 10:52 PM

That is how I see it. As a Wife & Mother. I can try to put myself in his shoes. I don't know what is worse.

A Young child loosing a Parent( I did, My mother died when I was 14 & my father when i was 17) So I know somewhat of how William & harry felt.

Or a Parent buring their Child( thank god i dont know about that)

I do believe that the man is in pain. But, is trying to take that pain out on the Royal family.

I just see both sides of the coin. Something that some won't do. He is a hated man & so people will toatlly blow off that his son died also. But, then again on the other side of the coin. He does not help himself with these types of things that he does.

Harry's polo shirt 08-29-2005 11:30 PM

I agree tiaraprin. Didn't one of the bodygaurds hired by Al Fayed, recently say that Diana and Dodi just put on a show, and when camras weren't around they stayed in seperate rooms...and that Diana just wanted to make the pakistani doctor jealous? I saw it on the news this morning, but the interview is in a british newspaper so I can't read it.

Sammy 08-30-2005 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry's polo shirt
I agree tiaraprin. Didn't one of the bodygaurds hired by Al Fayed, recently say that Diana and Dodi just put on a show, and when camras weren't around they stayed in seperate rooms...and that Diana just wanted to make the pakistani doctor jealous? I saw it on the news this morning, but the interview is in a british newspaper so I can't read it.

That would be interesting to read. Here is a link that may help you find the paper it was printed in.
https://www.wrx.zen.co.uk/alltnews.htm

Elspeth 08-30-2005 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by windsor
Yes Mr. Al-Fayed is still upset. You would be too if you lost a Royal Warrent.

I think the first warrant he lost was Prince Philip's; considering he'd accused Prince Philip of masterminding the assassination of Diana and Dodi, I think it's unlikely that he was expecting to keep the warrant.

Elspeth 08-30-2005 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry's polo shirt
I agree tiaraprin. Didn't one of the bodygaurds hired by Al Fayed, recently say that Diana and Dodi just put on a show, and when camras weren't around they stayed in seperate rooms...and that Diana just wanted to make the pakistani doctor jealous? I saw it on the news this morning, but the interview is in a british newspaper so I can't read it.

There's a link to something about the article here:

https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...&postcount=167

although it probably isn't the full thing.

kiren 08-30-2005 12:36 PM

I agree with you Grim Lady, Diana and Dodi's affair was not a private affair, it was a romance which shocked the world, and above all it was the romance which endedup in the most horrified accident costing the life of them both. Diana name never could be seperated from Dodi, either they were going to stay together or apart, for a few weeks or eternity, their death has made them eternal. Sculpture is a Gift to the family...and we should respect it. why is Diana in bikini or skimpy dress, well if wearing bikini ever had been that bad an idea for diana , she never would have showed herself in it publicly. Which she did . and did quite often.The scultpure is a beautiful reminder of relationship between Dodi and Diana.
btw
( Sculpture could be alot more beautiful and could be made to show them doing something else { Decent } rather then dancing.....i never saw any pic of diana n dodi dancing).........but then making sculpture of them taking sunbath which is all we had seen in the romance other then coming out of ritz or leaving the yatch could be even more distatseful.

I

Idriel 08-30-2005 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiaraprin
His greed for power, money, and British Citizenship has ruined him.

Has it? I though he was still one of the wealthiest man in the UK.
Quote:

Perhaps if he hadn't been so greedy, both his son and Diana would still be alive today.
:confused: Sorry, I don't get your point.

CATS 08-30-2005 03:52 PM

Have they given him citizenship? I don't think have. I feel sorry for the man, he is such a sad soul. I pray that one day he will relieze the truth, and quit with all his crazy theories.

I have always believed it was an accident.

Incas 08-30-2005 06:11 PM

No, he got turned down twice. I thought I read somewhere he had vowed to sell Harrod's and leave Britain when he got turned down the second time.

Harry's polo shirt 08-30-2005 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elspeth
There's a link to something about the article here:

https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...&postcount=167

although it probably isn't the full thing.


thanks Elspeth! I have been wanting to read that.:)

I found some informtion on https://www.femalefirst.co.uk/royal_family/88492004.htm

here are some main points:

"They say MI6 fixed the fatal car crash on orders from the Royal Family. But that's ludicrous because all the arrangements for that journey were changed at the last minute on orders from the Fayeds - the car, the driver, the route, everything.

Mr Fayed has blamed everyone but himself. I think he does that in public because the truth he carries in private is too much to bear."

Kathryn Mayer 08-30-2005 08:44 PM

I will not ever be able to put Diana's death aside. Yesterday, Monday 29th of August, 2005, was the eleventh anniversary of my injuries that threatened my well-being many times during the first year or two of recovery...it is definitely difficult to breathe when the intercostal muscles decide to go into a spasm....I took the ambulance more than once to the hospital.......I know this site is not about me; however, had I died in that accident, my age at that time was also thirty-six. So, I ask myself, "Why is she up there and I'm down here? What do I have to contribute to society?" I start part-time studies this week in the Social Welfare/Social Work field. Instead of arguing for or against 'grief resolving' monetary expenditures by those who have the ability to spend it the way they choose and in a manner that addresses their own grief, maybe those few people who've not yet found a place of peace may search within themselves to find a way or ways of picking up the threads of Diana's life;continuing to weave it for her. I know she will look on it favourably from her 'cloud' up above.

I believe Diana's burial site is the most supreme honour to her life and the charitable works she contributed to society. In North America, there is an interesting indigenous saying, "When you are born you cry and the world rejoices. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice".

Another inspirational I've come across in my journey is anonymous but wonderful.

THE WEAVER

My life is but a weaving
between my Lord and me,
I cannot choose the colors
He worketh steadily.

Oftimes he weaveth sorrow
And I in foolish pride
Forget He sees the upper
And I, the underside.

Not till the loom is silent
And the shuttles cease to fly
Shall God unroll the canvas
And explain the reason why.

The dark threads are as needful
In the Weaver's skillful hand
As the threads of gold and silver
In the pattern He has planned.

(If the author of the above poem should find his work on this site, I do hope the author will disclose his identity?)

Harry's polo shirt 08-30-2005 08:51 PM

Great post I love the poem! I am sure you are not the only one who has had those thoughts. that quote is beautiful!!!

lashinka2002 09-01-2005 11:56 PM

I think that the world will never truly know what Diana & Dodi's relationship was or could have been. I think Dodi's father is assuming that thier relationship would have become an everlasting love & that the best would have only come from them. A nice thought but the chances of that I don't think were very good. The statue should have been kept at home. This man has no dignity. I think even his son would have told him to stop by now.

tiaraprin 09-02-2005 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CATS
Have they given him citizenship? I don't think have. I feel sorry for the man, he is such a sad soul. I pray that one day he will relieze the truth, and quit with all his crazy theories.

I have always believed it was an accident.

I don't feel sorry for him. He exploits his son and the late Princess for sympathy, not out of genuine grief. He wants people to believe he has been mistreated. This is one time the British government was right not to grant him citizenship. Look how vindictive he has been because he doesn't get it. He uses his own dead son and the people's princess to cry boo-hoo all the time about his horrible fate. He only cares about himself and money. He doesn't care about his son or Diana and it is quite distasteful and down right disgusting!!!:mad: :mad:

ysbel 09-02-2005 10:46 AM

Of course the statue is tacky and tasteless, just like al Fayed. I can't believe it deserves four pages of a thread.

But tiaraprin, I don't understand why you are criticizing al Fayed for this

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiaraprin
This is one time the British government was right not to grant him citizenship. Look how vindictive he has been because he doesn't get it. He uses his own dead son and the people's princess to cry boo-hoo all the time about his horrible fate.

Quite frankly I don't see al Fayed being any more vindictive that Diana was against Charles and the royal family when her marriage went sour. She cultivated friendships with those who had a axe to grind with the Establishment.

Sammy 09-02-2005 03:06 PM

Yuk!
That thing is so hideous! What a joke! He made Dodi look better and Diana worse. It's an insult to those it's supposed to honor, as well as to anyone with a drop of intelligence.

Incas 09-02-2005 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ysbel
Quite frankly I don't see al Fayed being any more vindictive that Diana was against Charles and the royal family when her marriage went sour. She cultivated friendships with those who had a axe to grind with the Establishment.

I get the impression that Fayed still wants to become a British citizen, and very much would like to be able to move in the royal circle. He is almost obsessed with being associated with the BRF. Nothing would please him more than seeing William or Harry going to Harrod's.

Elspeth 09-02-2005 09:02 PM

Well, he should have stopped to remember that William and Harry had two parents and also had Windsor grandparents as well as Spencer ones. Since it's said that William is very close to Prince Philip, accusing Prince Philip of masterminding Diana's murder isn't the brightest way of getting William to go to Harrods.

tiaraprin 09-03-2005 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Incas
I get the impression that Fayed still wants to become a British citizen, and very much would like to be able to move in the royal circle. He is almost obsessed with being associated with the BRF. Nothing would please him more than seeing William or Harry going to Harrod's.

Thank you Incas. That is why Mr Al-Fayed is not a sympathetic figure, but rather a pathetic one in his over the top attempts using his dead son and the late Princess for his own ends.

BeccaLynn07 09-04-2005 03:23 PM

There's four pictures of the statue https://www.vrtnieuws.net/nieuwsnet_m...ana/index.html there, if anyone is interested.

MoonlightRhapsody 09-04-2005 07:29 PM

It's too much! With all due respect, Mr. Al Fayed has made it look like Dodi was the love of Diana's life and that they would be together in the afterlife. Somehow, I highly doubt that. He raised them up to the level of Romeo and Juliet and I think they are far from that.

Harry's polo shirt 09-05-2005 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elspeth
Well, he should have stopped to remember that William and Harry had two parents and also had Windsor grandparents as well as Spencer ones. Since it's said that William is very close to Prince Philip, accusing Prince Philip of masterminding Diana's murder isn't the brightest way of getting William to go to Harrods.

I don't think that Prince Philip had anything to do with her death. I know that he didn't care to much for her, but to say that he masterminded her death is ludicris. The fact that Diana and Dodi switched cars at the hotel completely destroys the theory.

gfg02 08-14-2010 09:41 PM

Princess Diana and Dodi Fayed memorials may be about to be removed from Harrods

Princess Diana and Dodi Fayed memorials may be about to be removed from Harrods - Telegraph

maria-olivia 08-15-2010 07:49 AM

Well done , I will go the Harrod's again.

Iluvbertie 08-15-2010 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maria-olivia (Post 1124670)
Well done , I will go the Harrod's again.


Once it happens and the royal warrants are returned I too will return to shopping there on my visits to London.

Zonk 08-15-2010 05:37 PM

So why did you guys stop shopping at Harrods? Because of the removal of the royal warrant or because the al Fayed's? Didn't the quality of the store go down in recent years?

Not trying to start an argument...just curious.

Iluvbertie 08-15-2010 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zonk (Post 1124769)
So why did you guys stop shopping at Harrods? Because of the removal of the royal warrant or because the al Fayed's? Didn't the quality of the store go down in recent years?

Not trying to start an argument...just curious.

Al Fayed's accusations against Philip did it for me. I couldn't abide the man from the beginning but when he made such stupid accusations I decided that was it for me and I swore I would only return if Al Fayed was no longer the owner, the memorials were removed and the Royal Warrants returned. Until all three have happened Harrods won't get my business.

crisscross1 08-15-2010 06:47 PM

That man has been an embarrarassment to his son's memory since the day Dodi passed away. Eight years on and he still hasn't got over it :sad: He must be a very sad and bitter old man.

Zonk 08-15-2010 07:01 PM

Well honestly, I don't think that he should get over his son's death. He should accept it but not get over it. Its a trite expression but a true one nonetheless...... but a parent should never have to bury a child.

Now, I do think that the Mohammed al Fayed has used his grief in an irrational way. Placing blame on anyone and everyone except maybe the people who should get blamed...the paps for chasing, not having more bodyguards, Dodi and Diana for not just staying at the hotel or calling the cops, and Dodi and Diana for not wearing seatlbelts.

It was a tragic accident but it sounds like the lost of his son was something he couldn't handle. He isn't the first and wont be the last person to lose someone to death and act irrationally.

Iluvbertie 08-15-2010 07:53 PM

I have no problem with him mourning his son and in fact completely understand his grief but I don't understand why he would blame Philip. Had he just said 'he believed that is wasn't a simple accident' I could have accepted that but to accuse a specific person with no evidence is what got me.

Of course the blame rests with the drunken driver he employed, the inadequate security he employed, his own son's stupidity in not wearing a seatbelt, the paparazzi who followed them and Diana's fans.

Zonk 08-15-2010 08:02 PM

No I agree with your assessment on all accounts. Like I said, in his grief he behaved in an irrational manner.

sirhon11234 08-15-2010 10:18 PM

IMO Fayed has to blame someone for Dodi's death, because he can't accept the fact that he is partly responsible for his son not being alive today. Its very sad no parent should bury their child, but one can't just go around accusing people of murder.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Iluvbertie (Post 1124796)
Diana's fans.

You mean some of her fans. I am not responsible nor will I ever take responsibility for Diana's death. Not all of her fans spent their money and time buying and reading those trashy tabloids. I don't buy tabloids nor do I read gossip blogs its a waste of time. Some people have too much interest in celebrities its not healthy. Your right some of Diana's fans are partly responsible for her death. But the key word is some.

Iluvbertie 08-16-2010 02:28 AM

Actually the most vocal of her fans are the ones who would have bought the magazines/papers etc with the pictures in it just because she was there. The most rabid of her fans definitely contributed to her death.
You are right and I should have used the word 'some' or even 'most' but not implied 'all' as there are people who buy those magazines and papers regardless and they aren't the ones I mean.

crisscross1 08-16-2010 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zonk (Post 1124785)
Well honestly, I don't think that he should get over his son's death. .

I think you understood what I meant Zonk :ermm:
Most parents grieve the loss of their loved one's, children or otherwise, in their own private way, not by erecting a tacky and tasteless monument for all the world to see that cries out for attention. The man is very sad and really shouldn't expect anything from the public other than ridicule.
Apologies for not making myself clearer :flowers:

maria-olivia 08-16-2010 11:46 AM

I agree with Iluvbertie and also to me the mother of the UK's future King dancing with her one month's lover didn't not deserve a momument.
Sorry , Zonk perhaps I am oldfashioned.. kind regards

Zonk 08-16-2010 12:00 PM

My statements about al Fayed where to ask the question on why iluvbertie and others were no longer shopping at Harrods, hence the subsequent posts.

I personally find the statues kind of tacky, but it was his store and he could do what he wished with the store (as long as it didn't violate any laws). I don't think I addressed my opinions about the statues in my earlier posts...so Maria Olivia I am not sure what you are referring to.

My initial statements about his grief had to deal with crisscross statement that he should get over it. I don't think anyone even Mohammed al Fayed should get over the grief over a child. They learn to live with it and accept it never get over it. And I do agree that he acted irrational over his grief, accusing people of a crime without proof and not accepting any responsiblity.

maria-olivia 08-16-2010 01:28 PM

I just wanted to say that now I will return to Harrods because I didn' agree Diana's and Dodi's statue and the attitude of Harrod's owner against the British RF.

Zonk 08-16-2010 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maria-olivia (Post 1125014)
I just wanted to say that now I will return to Harrods because I didn' agree Diana's and Dodi's statue and the attitude of Harrod's owner against the British RF.

Understood. You are certainly within your rights to stop shopping at Harrods for such a reason.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:35 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020
Jelsoft Enterprises