The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   King Albert II and Queen Paola (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f181/)
-   -   Delphine Boël, daughter of King Albert II (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f181/delphine-bo-l-daughter-of-king-albert-ii-6319.html)

sky 09-01-2003 08:34 PM

Delphine Boël, daughter of King Albert II

does anyone who that person is? or if the RF talks with the child? the king only said that he has an illegitimate child in london. i read it on Hello in the RF's section.

Alexandria 09-01-2003 08:37 PM

https://news.bbc.co.uk

World: Europe

Belgium's royal sex scandal

By Oana Lungescu in Brussels

Revelations that Belgium's King Albert II may have a 31-year-old illegitimate daughter have created a stir - but more because of the intrusion into the royal family's life by the typically-discreet media, than the king's alleged adultery.

"This is an earthquake for the royalty. For the first time in our history, the Belgian media have looked through the keyhole of the royal palace," wrote one newspaper editor, almost apologising for the three pages of detailed articles on the allegations.

A spokeswoman for the royal palace declined to comment on what she called "malevolent gossip".

Another newspaper defended its own break with the tradition of discretion by pointing the finger at the extensive television coverage given to the story.

The paper then proceeded to reveal the address of the king's alleged illegitimate daughter, Delphine Boel, an artist living in London's Portobello Road.

It also shows pictures - also accessible on her website - of her vividly-coloured papier mache sculptures, including a cow wearing a little crown.

"Perhaps an ironic reference from the girl who could have been a princess?" the paper asks.

'No comment'

Delphine's mother, Belgian aristocrat Baroness Sybille de Selys Longchamps, who married a well-known industrialist after her birth, has refused to comment on the rumours.

Ms Boel - splashed across the front page of UK newspaper The Times on Friday - also refused to comment.

She could never succeed to the throne because the Belgian constitution states that the crown must pass to a legitimate descendant.

Story re-surfaced

The story appeared two years ago in a Belgian satirical magazine, but it has re-emerged under bizarre circumstances in a forthcoming biography of the Belgian Queen Paola.

Its author turns out to be an 18-year-old Flemish schoolboy, Mario Daneels, who calls himself a historian.

Some have speculated that the rumours might have been brought to the fore by supporters of Flemish independence in order to embarrass the monarchy - a symbol of Belgian statehood - as it prepares for the long-awaited marriage of the king's heir, Prince Philippe, aged 40.

Others recall the case of Mazarine, the illegitimate daughter that the French President Francois Mitterand acknowledged as his own before he died.

But for many, this is less about the monarchy than about the Belgian media which, in the wake of so many scandals, has now shed its last taboo.

Alexandria 09-01-2003 08:40 PM

5 Attachment(s)
www.ibl.se - 01/23/2003. Brussels: Delphine Boel presents her "Absolut Delphine", a work commissioned by Sweden-based Absolut Vodka. © Raphael Demaret/Photo News / Gamma 729321

What do you think? Is there a family resemblance to Albert's other children? I've read reports that some think she faintly looks like Princess Astrid, the King's eldest daughter.

www.ibl.se - 01/23/2003. Brussels: Delphine Boel presents her "Absolut Delphine", a work commissioned by Sweden-based Absolut Vodka. © Raphael Demaret/Photo News / Gamma 729321

www.ibl.se - AT WEDDING OF BARON CEDRIC VAN DER STRAETEN WAILLET IN MARRAKECH (00/09/1996) Morocco, MARRAKECH, August 20 ,1996 (680732) EXCLUSIVE. DELPHINE BOEL, NATURAL DAUGHTER OF KING ALBERT OF BELGIUM. AT WEDDING OF BARON CEDRIC VAN DER STRAETEN WAILLET IN MARRAKECH (00/09/1996) PHOTO © PHOTO NEWS/GAMMA / GAMMA

www.ibl.se - AT WEDDING OF BARON CEDRIC VAN DER STRAETEN WAILLET IN MARRAKECH (00/09/1996) Morocco, MARRAKECH, August 20 ,1996 (680732) EXCLUSIVE. DELPHINE BOEL, NATURAL DAUGHTER OF KING ALBERT OF BELGIUM. AT WEDDING OF BARON CEDRIC VAN DER STRAETEN WAILLET IN MARRAKECH (00/09/1996) PHOTO © PHOTO NEWS/GAMMA / GAMMA

www.rexfeatures.com - I think this might be Delphine's mother, Baroness Sybille de Selys Longchamps.

sky 09-01-2003 09:37 PM

she looks like the king with her nose.

moosey60 09-01-2003 10:31 PM

They're not much into sunscreen in Belgium now are they?

anna 09-02-2003 05:07 AM

King Albert will become grandfather again in december as Delphine Boel is expecting her first child in december :)

Martine 09-02-2003 05:28 AM

yes Delphine is pregant. :-)

Has anyone seen the flemish tv-show with Delphine this summmer? I heard she was in some show

Alexandria 09-02-2003 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by anna@Sep 2nd, 2003 - 5:07 am
King Albert will become grandfather again in december as Delphine Boel is expecting her first child in december :)
Wow! It really is a BIG year for King Albert the grandfather. Laeticia Maria, Gabriel, a baby from Laurent and also one from Delphine!

sara1981 09-02-2003 08:10 PM

i didnt know about her!

she is pregnant! she marry!

Sara Boyce

moosey60 09-02-2003 10:12 PM

Illegitimate child? Has he accepted her? I see, well congratulations to Bertie on four grandkids from 2003-early 2004. She is a very pretty lady.

sky 09-03-2003 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by moosey60@Sep 2nd, 2003 - 9:12 pm
Illegitimate child? Has he accepted her? I see, well congratulations to Bertie on four grandkids from 2003-early 2004. She is a very pretty lady.
well, i dont know if he has accepted , but i think he did because , i would'nt admitted to a child to the public and not keep in contact.

Martine 09-03-2003 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by sky+Sep 3rd, 2003 - 8:50 am--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (sky @ Sep 3rd, 2003 - 8:50 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--moosey60@Sep 2nd, 2003 - 9:12 pm
well, i dont know if he has accepted , but i think he did because , i would&#39;nt admitted to a child to the public and not keep in contact. [/b][/quote]
i believe the author of the book who talked about Delphine for the first time , said that she did come to Belvédère(where albert and paola live) when she was a child.
he also said that paola had a rough time it (which is pretty normal i think)

moosey60 09-03-2003 08:29 PM

Well it&#39;s understandable that Paola would act that way. I assume she&#39;s younger than Phillipe, so Paola knew that Bertie had an affair. It&#39;s super great that they managed to stay together. :flower: So anyhoos, is this Delphine woman in contact with Bertino and Paola? No offense, but she does rather look like a sunburnt tomato. Do they not have sunscreen in whatever town she lives in? :woot: *Cough* no offense to her, though.

Aye&#33; I hafta go to my math homework, evil teachers.. :angry: *cough* Byeeeeeee&#33;

Helena 09-04-2003 03:20 AM

Delphine was conceived a few years after the birth of Prince Laurent. The marriage of the Prince & Princess of Liège (as was their title when Baudouin was King) cooled down...for many years I believe. Both spouses had their share of affairs...But in the late 70-ties the couple grew back together...and it has been a very harmonious marriage from that time on. I believe that especially their daughter Princess Astrid (married to Archduke Lorenz) made this happen. The relations between the Lièges and the (pious) King and Queen (who did not allow a divorce..& in the 70-ties there were rumours that the King & Queen wanted to take over guardianship over the 3 children, especially Phillipe) from then on fastly improved...especially because Albert & Paola became more pious as well. I think that the last years the couple has become very close...which really shows. Remember the affectionate kiss & hug that the queen gave her husband in public (on stage even) during his jubilee celebrations?

Delphine....well...although she seems to be in touch with the royal family she made some nasty comments about QQueen Paola a few months ago which were published&#33; She said that Paola was a bad mother & that especially her sons were ill-suited for life in the real world & still very dependant on her. Another nasty remark about the Queen was that Delphine thought that the Queen had no real affection or knowledge of art, she just pretends to be interested (to look clever?)...Delphine is an artist so maybe Paola did not like her work, which caused some jealousy in Delphine???

anna 09-04-2003 03:30 AM

Danish weekly Billed-Bladet #36 has an online photo of the pregnant
Delphine Boël (34) and tells she is not married to the foetus&#39;s father James O&#39;Hare from Texas.

Bule på Boël - 04.09.03

https://www.billedbladet.dk/default.asp?Act...tails&Item=1595

Alexandria 09-05-2003 12:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
www.billedbladet.dk - Here is the pregnant Delphine Boel.

Martine 10-17-2003 05:21 PM

Delphine became mother of a little girl named Josephine

bct88 06-08-2004 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Helena@Sep 4th, 2003 - 3:20 am
Both spouses had their share of affairs...But in the late 70-ties the couple grew back together...and it has been a very harmonious marriage from that time on.
I know that Albert had an affiar, but what I can gather from this, Paola did as well? Am I right?

Lalla Meriem 06-09-2004 01:24 AM

Ms. Boel is very close to her siblings. She was acknowledged unoffically by the King several years ago in an interview (or speech of some sort). She was with him often as a child.

Cathérine Bergeyck 06-09-2004 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Lalla Meriem@Jun 9th, 2004 - 12:24 am
Ms. Boel is very close to her siblings. She was acknowledged unoffically by the King several years ago in an interview (or speech of some sort). She was with him often as a child.
No that&#39;s not true.

In his new year&#39;s speech (2000), king Albert said that &#39;queen Paola and he had been reminded of the crisis that their marriage went through more then 30 years ago. They have managed to surmount that crisis and they hope, that it can give hope to other couple who have problems.&#39; and then he said &#39;the rest belongs to our private life&#39;.

So it was no official recognition. And there&#39;s no need for that either. It was no state affair, it was, like ha said, something private that happened long before he became king.

Lalla Meriem 06-09-2004 04:13 AM

She has openly said she was close to her siblings and saw her father often as a child.

We are referring to two differen speeches&#33;

gaggleofcrazypeople 06-09-2004 06:43 AM

Wow&#33; Drama&#33;

monos26 02-10-2005 03:44 PM

How do Albert's kids feel about their sister?

Julia 02-10-2005 03:49 PM

I haven't read anything about how Albert and Paola's children feel about Delphine but, perhaps, some of our Belgian members have heard something??

Reina 02-10-2005 06:38 PM

WAs she invited to any of her siblings weddings?

Danielle 02-10-2005 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reina

I sincerely doubt it. You don’t really hear much about her relationship with the other members of her family.

Alexandria 02-10-2005 07:31 PM

Quote:

I don't think so. I don't think Delphine has been invited to any private or public familial gatherings. For the most part I get the impression that Delphine wants to stay out of the public eye and leads a generally private life with her husband (are they actually married?), their child and her art.

Reina 02-10-2005 09:40 PM

Well than I guess she is not that close to her siblings. That is so sad. Doesn't dauphin mean bastard/illigetimate? She should not be labeled that.

Alexandria 02-10-2005 09:43 PM

Quote:

Well than I guess she is not that close to her siblings. That is so sad. Doesn't dauphin mean bastard/illigetimate? She should not be labeled that.

I don't know that she's ever met Astrid, Phillippe or Laurent to be close to them.

I'm not really sure how much contact Albert has with her either.

After Prince Bernhard Sr.'s death and the news of his two illegimitate daughters was revealed, it was also noted that he saw them twice a year. I don't know that such information has ever been revealed about Albert and his relationship with Delphine.

(Wasn't Delphine's child also born around the same time Astrid had Laeticia Maria?)

Alisa 02-10-2005 10:28 PM

Based on public knowledge, I know that Prince Laurent has met with his sister on two occasions.

MoonlightRhapsody 02-11-2005 01:51 AM

Quote:

Doesn't dauphin mean bastard/illigetimate? She should not be labeled that.

"Dauphin", in that spelling actually is the title given to the eldest son of the King of France and the direct heir to the throne.

sunny 02-23-2005 07:49 AM

Is it any wonder that Albert has a illegitimate cild!! He was very attractive with his dark
hairs.
He is only human!!

agisele 02-23-2005 08:35 AM

hrm. she does actually resemble Astrid quite a bit.

Danielle 03-13-2005 02:25 PM

9 Attachment(s)
TOURNAI, BELGIUM : Delphine Boel takes part at the presentation of a creation of Serge Goldwitch , for the opening of Serge Goldwitch's exhibition at Tournai culture house, Saturday 12 March 2005 (Belga)

cute_girl 03-13-2005 02:34 PM

I never know about this,what was wrong with their mariage?(I mean Albert and Paola)when young,she was quite pretty and cute

Martine 06-24-2005 02:56 PM

Delphine

A month or so after the interview Delphine gave to a french tv-station: Sybille de Selys-Longchamps speaks out.

https://www.vrtnieuws.net/nieuwsnet_m...ert/index.html

for those who don't speak dutch, Delphine was not allowed at a gala dinner cause Philipe & Mathilde would be there too, and it would be embarassing for philipe to be seen with his half-sister or so. Noone knows who decided that Delphine couldn't come. but her mother is really angry now and she wants her daughter to be threated with respect.

What do you guys think of the all situation?

My personal opinion is that i wished that writer who wrote Paola's biographie hadn't made all this public. Everything was fine until then.
Now everything is a mess.
I do agry with Sybille that Delphine deserves respect and hope someday that she can be a member of the royal family, without title, but still there when there are christenings, weddings, family pics...
I think it's very hard for Delphine. It must not be nice for the whole world to know that you are King Albert's illegitimate child. She didn't chose that.
But it's hard for other people too, like for paola...but I think Delphine is the biggest victim in all of this, she's clearly hurting and I hope Albert tries to get in contact again...

Alexandria 06-24-2005 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martine

My personal opinion is that i wished that writer who wrote Paola's biographie hadn't made all this public. Everything was fine until then.
Now everything is a mess.
I do agry with Sybille that Delphine deserves respect and hope someday that she can be a member of the royal family, without title, but still there when there are christenings, weddings, family pics...
I think it's very hard for Delphine. It must not be nice for the whole world to know that you are King Albert's illegitimate child. She didn't chose that.
But it's hard for other people too, like for paola...but I think Delphine is the biggest victim in all of this, she's clearly hurting and I hope Albert tries to get in contact again...

How much contact or communication does Albert maintain with Delphine? (She has a child now, too, doesn't she? I remember her being pregnant around the time Astrid was pregnant with Laeticia-Maria and Mathilde with Gabriel.) After Prince Bernhard Sr.'s death, it was revealed that he saw his two illegitimate daughters twice a year and spoke to them regularly. Would Albert's communication with Delphine be equivalent to this?)

Personally, I agree with you Martine that being known as Albert's illegitimate daughter is not a very nice way to be known, and it was certainly not how one would want to be identified as or referred to.

As for a relationship between Delphine and her half-siblings and the choice to attend family gatherings, christenings, birthdays, weddings, etc., I think that that is a choice that should be left up to Phillippe and Mathilde, Astrid and Lorenz, Laurent and Claire. If they want to invite Delphine to the baptisms and birthday celebrations of their children or themselves, it should be a choice that they make, not something that is "forced" upon them because she is their half sibling and she wishes to be included. It should be as much about the comfort and the desire of Phillippe, Laurent and Astrid to have Delphine there as Delphine's desire and comfort level. I would say the same for family gatherings that Albert and Paola host.

A difficult family situation for everyone involved though.

Martine 06-24-2005 03:18 PM

Albert has no contact with her since 1999 (when the news came out). Delphine said she called him short after the news came out, because she was worried about her mother who was depressed...He said that she wasn't his daughter and that he didn't want anything to do with her :s

Delphine is in my opinion really crying out to be recognized; It's really not the first time. First between the lines and now more and more openly, especially after her daughter Josephine was born (Josephine looks so much like Delphine, she looks a blonde version of Laetitia Maria:-) )

I really feel sorry for her, they didn't even wanna show her art at first, without even seeing it, just because it was hers, that must hurt a lot I'm sure...I think it's time they all put away their past now and help her a bit before things go really out of hand (they are not going to stop here i think)

It's all very private of course and of course Albert can't be made to like Delphine...but i think if maybe he would like phone her or like Bernard visit her a few times she would be happy

It's just sad i think for her, imo she's really crying out for help/respect/something...in the end it's not her fault and like her mother said 'she didn't commit a crime, she never did something wrong'

i agree: it's an extremely hard situation

tbhrc 05-02-2007 02:19 PM

Dephine Boel (illegitimate daughter of King Albert II of Belgium) posed for photographer during the opening of "concept" exhibition, Wednesday 02 May 2007 in Brussels. Delphine Boel shows no longer work of "papier-mache" but makes know 3D-videoart using new technologies.

Pic 1 Pic 2 Pic 3 Pic 4 Pic 5

royal_sophietje 05-02-2007 02:25 PM

Interesting art...

magnik 05-02-2007 02:35 PM

She looks so old and tired. She is almost 40 (22 Feb 1968). She has a daughter name Josephine Boel (17 Oct 2003) with Jim O'Hare.
I don't know why but she reminds me somehow Paola.

Marengo 05-03-2007 05:17 AM

she actually reminds me more of Queen Astrid, and I can even see the resemblance between her and a young Josephine-Charlotte, or even Princess Elisabeth.

indian princess 05-11-2007 11:53 AM

that's exactly what i was thinkin- she looks like a blonde version of queen astrid

Buggs 05-11-2007 12:18 PM

Yes, she does resemble Queen Astrid.

flcty 05-18-2007 02:36 AM

Guys, if you go to the BeNeLUX forums, there is a post with pictures of Delphine and her daughter, Josephine O'Hare. In one of the last pictures, Delphine is standing next to her exhibit that has the slogan, 10,000 Ear-plugs & I can STILL hear your LIE. Talk about being upset. Guess she still holds a grudge aginst the family.
The picture is thanks to Cathérine...[Not quite sure were allowed to post pictures from the following source, sorry if were not allowed].
IBL BILDBYDA
https://img265.imageshack.us/img265/1...ughtyy4.th.jpg

Marengo 05-21-2007 05:25 AM

Her mother, Baroness Sybille Seyls de Longchamps made some comments to a newspaper or televisionprogramme last week. She thought it was time that King Albert II would publically recognise his daughter Delphine.

altagrace 05-21-2007 10:13 AM

I agree the best way to deal with this situation is to acknowledge it publicly and move on. For sure it may result in an embarassing moment, but then it will be over and all parties will be able to move on and not have to constantly watch out where they are, what they say, who is invited where etc. Precedents are Mitterand, Albert of Monaco etc. Once the "issue" is out its hard for a few days, then it boils over and no one talks about it anymore. IMO best way to "move on".

martha-louise 05-21-2007 10:32 AM

Maybe there are some personal and private reasons for the king to wait with a recognition of Delphine. Maybe there were some fights in the past that the king made make this decission. I think the whole thing is far more complex than most people know/think. And of course it is a very emotional thing. And what after he will have recognised her? Must she be invited to the photosessions, to the defilé of 21 july? And what about queen Paola, she has her sentiments too, she must feel humiliated. There are obvious serious things happened in the seventies, from which we only know the top of the iceberg.

But of course, after all, everybody knows he has a daughter, that a recognition with good agreements, everybody may be happy

johann 05-21-2007 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martha-louise
Maybe there are some personal and private reasons for the king to wait with a recognition of Delphine. Maybe there were some fights in the past that the king made make this decission. I think the whole thing is far more complex than most people know/think. And of course it is a very emotional thing. And what after he will have recognised her? Must she be invited to the photosessions, to the defilé of 21 july? And what about queen Paola, she has her sentiments too, she must feel humiliated. There are obvious serious things happened in the seventies, from which we only know the top of the iceberg.

But of course, after all, everybody knows he has a daughter, that a recognition with good agreements, everybody may be happy

IMO Albert does not “wait” with his recognition of Delphine, I guess there will be no recognition at all. He admitted the marriage crisis in his Christmas speech 1999 and added he does not want to go into this as it is his private life. One can discuss if this is a clever or responsible decision, but I don´t think he will change his attitude. The more Delphine and her mother move into the spotlights, the less they will get recognition by the stubborn Albert.

And to think Delphine would be invited to photoshots or to the National Day festivities is naïve IMHO. She is the illegitimate daughter of the king, no more and no less. So why put her beneath Paola and “create” a happy family image? This would be utterly absurd and I don´t think this is Delphine´s intention. You also don´t expect Alexandre Coste waving from Monaco’s balcony during National Day, do you?

Marengo 05-21-2007 12:36 PM

I think she just wants contact with her father, which is understandable. Sadly she and her mother aren't exactly discrete, which probably makes the situation even more complex then it already is.
I believe the king had contact with his illeg. daughter in the past, I wonder why he ended it. Pressure from his brother, wife, children, the court etc? (I am speculating here).

Redferns 05-21-2007 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johann
You also don´t expect Alexandre Coste waving from Monaco’s balcony during National Day, do you?

Why not? Look at Mette Marit's son

crm2317 05-21-2007 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redferns

Good point Redferns. However maybe it has something to do with the fact Delphine was conceived through an affair while the King was married when she was born.

However I still think she has the right to public recognition, most people feel the need to be accepted by their fathers.

johann 05-21-2007 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redferns

IMO you can hardly compare this. Albert fathered Alexandre while being unmarried and Marius is the result of Mette-Marits´s previous relationship and Haakon is an important part of his daily life. Nobody has been unfaithful and no spouse was involved. Actually Marius and Alexandre (and I even forgot about Jazmin) never appeared on the balcony during national day and in Alexandre´s and Jazmin´s case I highly doubt they ever will. I am not implying it is impossible or even not desirable to integrate an illegitimate child into a royal family, but back to Belgium: I´m sure Delphine will play no role at the court. Nevertheless I dearly hope Albert will reconcile with Delphine and meet his granddaughter Josephine.

And as harsh as it may sound. I don´t think the appearance of Delphine and her mother on TV and in magazines is a sheer coincidence. Delphine is exhibiting her art in Brussels and this extra PR probably sells.

Marengo 05-22-2007 05:03 AM

I am afraid I am sharing your sceptisism about the PR-moments, johann. Nevertheless there should be truth in what the two ladies are telling the press.
-
I don't think anybody would expect Delphine to be part of the family or to play an active role in the 'royal business', but it would be nice if she and her father could have regular contact, in private.

martha-louise 05-22-2007 01:02 PM

Indeed, it is quite obvious that Delphine won't be part of the 'royal' family on the terms of public occasions.

The point is that the king should open the conversation with her, so that she musn't be angry anymore. So that she doesn't have to shoud it out to the press. Delphine asks for contact, not in the first place for a recognition. My opion is that should be possible.

If he recognizes her, that'llhave an impact inheritance maybe...

Gloriana 05-22-2007 04:43 PM

It hurts not to have your father aknowledge you. I'm guessing it's a cry for attention from him.

flcty 05-26-2007 06:01 PM

Humo Interview?

Hey, can anyone within the BeNeLux region post/report on the recent interview given by Delphine's mum, Sybille, in Humo. :flowers:

Gloriana 05-27-2007 02:01 AM

Quote:

I'm guessing it's a cry for attention from him
From her. Go me!:rolleyes:

Coquine 06-17-2007 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flctylu (Post 617548)
Hey, can anyone within the BeNeLux region post/report on the recent interview given by Delphine's mum, Sybille, in Humo. :flowers:

We have a subscription to Humo at home and I've searched for that particular issue but I'm afraid my dad has already thrown it away.
I've read the interview. This is what I remember : Sybille doesn't say anything really new. She says she's working on a biography, which is to be published after her and Albert's death, because she wants her family to finally know the truth. She also tells about her family. Apparently, her mother died when she was still very young but her father always gave priority to his family. So she grew up in a warm family. She met Albert in Greece, where her father was ambassador at the time. She and Albert had to be very sneaky because she didn’t want to embarrass her father. When she and Delphine moved to London (apparently the move to London was her own choice and not forced by the palace), her father was very sad. Furthermore, she says she never wanted to be a princess, all she wanted, was Albert. The divorce was cancelled because in the end Albert chose for the crown and his country. She says, after all, she’s happy she doesn’t belong to the royal family because they ‘live in a golden cage’. She seems to still care very much about Albert. She also says that literally in the interview, something along the lines of ‘Albert is the father of my only child, I could never forget him’. All in all, she comes across as quite a rebellious woman. She seems to do what she pleases and she comes across as someone who sticks to what she believes is right. But then again, this is my personal opinion. I wish I could post the article so people could see for themselves.

Marengo 11-27-2007 07:17 AM

Delphine Boel is 4 months pregnant with her second child, she already has a 4 y/o daughter called Josephine. The father of both children is the Irish American Jim O´Hare.

Apparently 4/5th of the Belgians think the King should recognise his daughter.

susan alicia 11-27-2007 07:24 AM

would that make her a princess?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marengo (Post 698144)
Delphine Boel is 4 months pregnant with her second child, she already has a 4 y/o daughter called Josephine. The father of both children is the Irish American Jim O´Hare.

Apparently 4/5th of the Belgians think the King should recognise his daughter.

alterego 02-24-2008 08:07 PM

Ummm, talking about the resemblance, to be honest, I could only see her and her mother Sybille very much alike... :rolleyes: Whether she is really the biological daughter of King Albert II --- we might never know about the truth --- I would say, perhaps people should just let what is gone be gone. :tongue: She needs not to be recognised to be someone's daughter to have her own life. And for the royal family, esp Queen Paola, I should suppose it would be water under the bridge, no matter it is true or not.:smile:

rominet09 02-24-2008 08:10 PM

She is the living image of King Albert's mother : Queen Astrid.
It"s striking

Marengo 02-25-2008 06:22 AM

As posted by Joris on the Benelux Royals MB:

Quote:

Delphine Boël, daughter of King Albert II and Sybille de Selys-Longchamps, has written an autobiography Cutting through the navel string (this promises something...).
It will be published in Dutch in April by Wever en Bergh publishers.
A French edition is published by Luc Pire publishers.

More news: Delphine will have an art exhibition, starting 12 April, at De Latemse Galerij art-gallery at Sint-Martens-Latem.

On 15 May her work will be shown on VRT TV in the series Canvas Collectie.

dazzling 02-25-2008 09:30 AM

It would be nice if the KIng recognizes her.
Is she an artist?

rominet09 02-25-2008 10:51 AM

Yes a scluptor

Rice 02-25-2008 09:08 PM

Do we know for certain that he doesn't acknowledge her privately. Maybe out of respect for the Queen, he is more private about his relationship, if he has one, with Miss Boel.
I know their majesties went through some trying times during their marriage, but they managed to overcome them. I can honestly say this couple isn't putting on airs when they are demonstrating their affection for each other in public. I love that about them. At the anniversary of the King's 10 year enthronement when Queen Paola kissed him on the cheek--such a lovely moment--I am completely digressing here but it's one of my favorite moments between the King and the Queen

stephanievl 03-16-2008 07:54 AM

Delphine Boel is participating in a talentshow (canavs collectie) for artists on the Belgian television. It is for unknown belgian artists who can win an exposition in "Bozar". she is participating because she wants more recognition
for her work. She brought a work from 2004 for the judges. It was a typical work of her. 'The truth can set you free’, stands in big letters on a belgian flag. She got trough the first round with this work.
Picture
Supload.com // Free Image Hosting

Article in dutch
https://www.nieuwsblad.be/Article/Det...MA15032008_003

giov 03-16-2008 09:17 AM

Delphine Boel Attends The Canvas Collection Jury In Brussels
BRUSSELS, BELGIUM - MARCH 15
Gallery from Getty
Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected#

SASSY 03-16-2008 11:22 AM

Has the King supported her fianancially?
Would she be entitled to an inheritance when he dies?
Don't take this wrong but I have a feeling when King Albert dies there will be a fight over a share of his estate.

Marengo 03-31-2008 02:20 PM

The Times has an interview with Delphine, with a telling title:

Quote:

Illegitimate daughter aims poisoned art at Belgian king

It's a family matter, says the artist and "love child" of Belgian king who channels her disappointment at her father's rejection into her art.
IN a departure from Belgium’s usually reverent treatment of its royalty, the illegitimate daughter of King Albert II is about to publish a book attacking him for disowning her. The autobiography of Delphine Boël, an artist, will be published next month and coincides with an exhibition of her work expressing bitterness towards the king. Some are accusing her of an anti-royalist plot to undermine a divided country but Boël, 40, insists that her grievances are merely a family matter.

“We’ve never had a big-time daddy-daughter relationship,” she said last week in her Brussels studio. “The last time I saw him I was 25 years old. I’ve tried several times to talk to him since then but he doesn’t want to know.”
Read the entire article here.

--

Delphine showed the King and Queen as pigs.

Moonmaiden23 03-31-2008 08:04 PM

What a sad, sad story. Why doesn't Ms. Boel work out her rage and pain in therapy? It's because she obviously wants to hurt her father and Queen Paola.

And sorry Albert, but Delphine does indeed have her grandmother Queen Astrid's eyes.....

indian princess 04-01-2008 09:25 AM

its really no poit for him to deny the fact that she is his daughter.....she's a complete copy of her grandmom....

Earl of Richmond 04-01-2008 10:17 AM

Hello this is my first time but when did King Albert have this affair. Did queen paola know about the daughter long before it can out. also delphine doesnt really look that much like King albert

norwegianne 04-01-2008 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marengo (Post 748416)

Delphine showed the King and Queen as pigs.

Yes, there's a way to build a good father-daughter relationship.:rolleyes:

Moonmaiden23 04-01-2008 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earl of Richmond (Post 748680)
Hello this is my first time but when did King Albert have this affair. Did queen paola know about the daughter long before it can out. also delphine doesnt really look that much like King albert

Albert began the affair during the mid 1960's and it continued for 18 years, which is really surprising. It ended when Albert and Paola reconciled in the early 80's.

Delphine was born in 1968.

Marengo 04-01-2008 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by norwegianne (Post 748702)
Yes, there's a way to build a good father-daughter relationship.:rolleyes:

I think she gave that idea up that that is ever going to happen. I have doubts about her artistic motivs to keep talking about it all in the press and now showing the King and Queen as pigs. It seems she makes the most of her position and tries to get press attention for her work.

Still, a father who refuses to see you should be very painfull and she has every right in the world to be angry at the King. The reason why she usually let Paola share the insults is because in Delphine's eyes it is esp. Paola who doesn't want her husband to see Delphine.

Moonmaiden23 04-01-2008 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marengo (Post 748751)
I think she gave that idea up that that is ever going to happen. I have doubts about her artistic motivs to keep talking about it all in the press and now showing the King and Queen as pigs. It seems she makes the most of her position and tries to get press attention for her work.

Still, a father who refuses to see you should be very painfull and she has every right in the world to be angry at the King. The reason why she usually let Paola share the insults is because in Delphine's eyes it is esp. Paola who doesn't want her husband to see Delphine.

This is exactly my opinion as well. She has given up trying to win her father's affection and is strictly lashing out. I understand her feelings but I think she is being counterproductive.

Albert should be ashamed of himself, and Paola too if she is the one who insisted that he cut all ties to his own flesh and blood. Delphine is not responsible for how she came into the world.

Ultimately, Albert's subjects are going to think less of him because of his attitude.

jcbcode99 04-01-2008 02:17 PM

He carried on an 18 year relationship with Sybille, but refuses to acknowledge Delphine as his child? That is very selflish, and simply wrong. No wonder she is so angry, I really do not blame her. Let's look at it this way--she's become a mother and she wants her children to know their heritage, where they come from, and have something to be proud of. Albert won't give her that. I feel badly for her.

Al_bina 04-01-2008 03:30 PM

I have been shocked to read the thread about the illegitimate daughter of King Albert II. The whole situation is rather unpleasant for the both sides. Negative feelings and anger of Delphine Boel are understandable. Still she should keep in mind that it is impossible to win anything by force. It is seems to me that Ms. Boel strives to get recognition in the world of art by capitalizing on her relations to the Royal Family. Given Ms. Boel’s rather ambiguous actions, I tend to share Sassy’s opinion (see post#70) about a possible fight to acquire her share of her biological father’s estate.
As for Baroness Sybille de Selys Longchamps, she is not the first mistress, who has been pushed aside after a relatively-long affair. I am curious to know how the mass media learnt about Ms. Boel’s existence.

jcbcode99 04-01-2008 10:05 PM

I do agree--she will certainly not achieve a relationship with Albert carrying on the way she is, but at the same time, I can't really blame her. Maybe this way she figures she can force him to acknowledge their relationship.
Can Albert be forced to leave her a share of his estate? In the US you can leave children out of your will, I believe.

Winnie 04-02-2008 12:33 AM

Yes, in the United States you can leave your child out of your will as long as you mention their name and leave him/her at least one dollar. If this is not done the child can protest the will and have it overturned in court. I was told recently that the same situation applies in UK, but I do not know that for a fact.

indian princess 04-02-2008 03:16 AM

in india too i guess its perfectly lega to leave your kids out of your will. correct me if i'm wrong but didn't maharani gayatri devi's grandchildren fight for a share of their father's property after they were left out of his will?

Lakshmi 04-02-2008 04:05 AM

I think Delphine is pathetic. 40 years old woman screaming for daddy? No, I don't understand her feelings, if she's King's daughter, he rejected her so long ago she should give herself a brake. She should also show some respect and yes, understanding for someone's marriage. Here, I understand queen Paola's feelings. Delphine seems looking for fame in a very vulgar way because her art is rather poor...She probably wants money too.

jcbcode99 04-03-2008 09:50 AM

Well, I can't disagree about her art--perhaps it is because my tastes are different than her pieces. Anyway, I do agree, she should have made it more private--but how do we know she did not? I do feel for Queen Paola, but at the same time she may have contributed to this in some way by not encouraging her husband to form a relationship of some kind with Delphine.
This now raises a question in my mind about Queen Fabiola and her relationship with King Albert and Queen Paola; being as deeply religious as she is coupled with her and King Baudoin's inability to have children, could it be that she is irritated because they won't accept Delphine? I've understood that the relationship between the three is not exacly close. I'm sure there are other factors, but I wonder if this little situation has contributed to it?

Moonmaiden23 04-03-2008 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcbcode99 (Post 749350)
Well, I can't disagree about her art--perhaps it is because my tastes are different than her pieces. Anyway, I do agree, she should have made it more private--but how do we know she did not? I do feel for Queen Paola, but at the same time she may have contributed to this in some way by not encouraging her husband to form a relationship of some kind with Delphine.
This now raises a question in my mind about Queen Fabiola and her relationship with King Albert and Queen Paola; being as deeply religious as she is coupled with her and King Baudoin's inability to have children, could it be that she is irritated because they won't accept Delphine? I've understood that the relationship between the three is not exacly close. I'm sure there are other factors, but I wonder if this little situation has contributed to it?

That's a good question. I find it incomprehensible that Baudouin did not know about Delphine, I am certain he did. And if Baudouin knew about Delphine then Fabiola knew. They were the closest of married couples and shared everything. Fabiola and Paola have never been close, they are just too different for that. But as the years have passed, especially after the death of Baudouin they have seemed to reached a way to peacefully co-exist. Paola seemed very kind and supportive after Baudouin's death. As for Albert, he and Fabiola were never enemies. Fabiola has always talked about how close Baudouin was to Albert and she strikes me as too clever a woman to alienate her husband's brother like that.

I think it is especially poignant that Delphine was conceived in 1968, the same year that Fabiola had her final miscarriage. Both Leopold III and Albert not only had legitimate children but children outside marriage, while Baudouin and Fabiola were desperate for just one child to raise and love. Baudouin later said it was a great struggle for both of them to come to terms with their childlessness. Even though Fabiola is a very dignified and religious Royal I am willing to bet that she can't help but feel some sympathy for Delphine's plight.

principessa 04-07-2008 01:51 PM

When is she due to with her second child?

sjetajiem 04-07-2008 02:25 PM

She will have a son this month of April.
Same time as princess Mathilde and her sister Elisabeth

Paty 04-09-2008 07:04 AM

Delphine Boel (22-02-1968), the alleged illegitimate daughter of King Albert of Belgium, presented her book ''The Umbilical Cord Cut Through'' (De Navelstreng Doorknippen) at the Royal Windsor Grand Palace in Brussels

PPE Agency

Moonmaiden23 04-09-2008 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paty (Post 751452)
Delphine Boel (22-02-1968), the alleged illegitimate daughter of King Albert of Belgium, presented her book ''The Umbilical Cord Cut Through'' (De Navelstreng Doorknippen) at the Royal Windsor Grand Palace in Brussels

PPE Agency

I wonder if there will be an English printing of this book, or only Dutch and French? I'd love to read it.

My goodness, she DOES so much resemble the late Queen Astrid!

Marengo 04-11-2008 09:07 AM

On 9 April Delphine presented her book to the press. Here she poses outside with her partnet James O'Hare.

Quote:

Wed 09/04/08 - Nine years after being revealed as the out-of-wedlock daughter of the Belgian king, Delphine Boël, 40, says she no longer craves her father's acknowledgment that she is his daughter.

In a book published this week entitled "Cutting The Umbilical Cord" Delphine Boël says she "no longer obsesses" about the fact King Albert II has yet to accept her as his daughter.

Speaking on VRT television on Tuesday, the artist who currently lives in London, called her book "a trip back into time. I had so many questions about my origin, my parents, rejection etc."

"I had to cut the umbilical cord," she said, adding she was tired of being King Albert's "dirty laundry."

Delphine Boël's existence was revealed in a 1999 biography of Queen Paola, King Albert's Italian-born wife, as the daughter of the Belgian monarch and Sybille Baroness de Selys Longchamps, the wife of a former Belgian industrialist.

Read the entire article here.

giov 04-11-2008 09:24 AM

Two nice pics from Hola
Galerías de imágenes
Article from Hello
'It's the end of the story' says unacknowledged daughter of king
and one from Hola, in Spanish.
DELPHINE BOEL: 'NO ESPERO RETOMAR EL CONTACTO CON MI PADRE, EL REY ALBERTO. HE PASADO ESA PÁGINA'

kimlan 04-11-2008 11:47 AM

She is so much resembling the late Queen Astrid. Can she ask for DNA test. Maybe the King will acknowledge her on the paper after he died. Currently, he could not do it because he want to save face for Queen Paula.

Lozange 04-11-2008 01:15 PM

Did everyone see this article about Delphine? :flowers:

entertainment.iafrica.com | books | news Belgian king's secret daughter settles scores

indian princess 04-11-2008 01:39 PM

in my opiion both father and daughter need some growing up to do. albert needs to acknowledge her as his daughter already( the public is not blind you know, anyone can see the clear and obvious resembance between her and astrid, her grandmother) and delphine needs to stop trying to degrade the monarchy. its like she said- she needs to cut the cord...

Al_bina 04-11-2008 02:22 PM

I do apologise if I sound harsh…

I did have some compassion for Baroness Delphine Boel, but it has been disappearing fast. The whole country knows that she is an illegitimate child of the married person, who happens to be the King. This situation is as old as time. While Baroness Boel may bear resemblance to the late Queen Astrid, I dare to say that her behaviour tends to lack some essential characteristics of the social class she belongs to. All her actions indicate that Baroness Boel enjoys displaying her grief in public, which is unacceptable for real aristocrats. I am not sure what could possibly change at this point, even if King Albert recognises her. Nothing really...

indian princess 04-12-2008 12:33 AM

i don't think she has the title of baroness though...you must be thinking about her mother who was one but miss boel is not a baroness...atleast not to my knowledge

Al_bina 04-12-2008 09:47 AM

I used the title, because she was referred to as Delphine, Baroness Boel on the photos provided by Paty (see post#89, click on a photo).

Marengo 04-14-2008 04:42 AM

Delphine Boel came with three bodyguards to the opening of her exposition in Sint-Martens-Latem this saturday. She has been receiving annonymous phonecalls in which people call her names or threaten her. The gallery paid for the extra security.
Delphine is popular among the public, some of them were waiting ffor hours to get Delphine's autograph.

--

Other Delphine-related news. The city of Kokszijde decided to remove a statue of Delphine for the upcoming visit of Princess Astrid. A spokesman denied that the King or the court had anything to do with this, it was a decicion of the city only.

Source for both items: Gazet van Antwerpen

---

Apparently Delphine writes in her book how she 'lost' her father:
When her mother got troubles with her heart Delhine called the king to inform him. When she got the king on the line he told her 'you should never call me again, I don't want to hear anything else of this matter, you re not my daughter'. Delphine said she almost choked because she felt very offended and she said that that was rediculous. 'everybody can see I have Queen Astrids eyes'. The king replied 'Enough! Never sauy that you resemble my mother. Never say that again! How dare you? '

--

And more Delphine-news. The book is a great succes, within 3 days all copies were sold out (article in Dutch here).

giov 04-14-2008 08:36 AM

DELPHINE BOEL AT THE LATEMSE GALLERY OF ST MARTENS LATEM FOR THE OPENING OF HER ART EXHIBITION ,13 APRIL 2008
London Features International Ltd