The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f197/)
-   -   King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie current events 2: Dec 2005 - Nov 2006 (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f197/king-constantine-and-queen-anne-marie-current-events-2-dec-2005-nov-2006-a-5763.html)

kelly9480 01-12-2006 04:38 PM

They both speak English and German, but they probably spoke English until she learned Greek.

fanletizia 02-23-2006 02:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Former King Constantin of Greece and Queen Anne-Marie of Greece attend the Womens Snowboard Parallel Giant Slalom Final on Day 13 of the 2006 Turin Winter Olympic Games on February 23, 2006 in Bardonecchia, Italy.

from getty

Queen Malka 02-23-2006 02:38 PM

Isn't he (Constantin) Prince William of England's godfather?

Doña Metizia 02-23-2006 02:42 PM

Yes he is.

iannis 02-23-2006 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fandesacs2003
Right. Costantine left Greece in 1968, but he was the King of the Hellenes till 1974, until the Referendum abolishing the Monarchy. Nevertheless, in the social behavior he keeps his title of King, even if this title has no any legal or political meaning.
Francly speeking, I do not see were is the problem to debate about this title. In the same way that a former President, a Minister or an Ambassador keep their titles, why a former King should abandon his title??? It was something like his "job title", he can keep it.:cool:

The 'official' problem of the greek mainly left-wing politicians is not the title rather the fact that he used to use "Former King of Greece" as a surname in his passport, which I can not understand why should he give up, since that is the only true
However, what drives me mad is not these reactions, rather than the fact that they do not show respect to somebody who was legally the head and symbol of their nation for years. :confused:

purple_platinum 03-03-2006 01:28 AM

3 Attachment(s)
https://www.greekroyalfamily.gr/index...ews&ItemID=166

TM King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie attended the Torino Winter Olympics.
27 February 2006


TM King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie attended the Torino Winter Olympics.
As member of the International Olympic Committee, King Constantine presented the Olympic Medals to the winning teams of the Women’s Biathlon Relay.

photos caption :
1 - At the medal ceremony, with the delegates of the Diathlon Federation and the Russian IOC member Mr Vitaly Smirnov.
2 - HM King Constantine presents the medals to the winning teams of the Diathlon Relay.
3 - HM King Constantine with the IOC president Mr. Jacques Rogge.

Adry 03-09-2006 02:35 PM

King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie attended the Memorial Service for Lord Lichfield
Uk Press
https://img417.imageshack.us/img417/9572/145mx.th.jpg https://img206.imageshack.us/img206/8406/152ha.th.jpg https://img206.imageshack.us/img206/1993/129gm.th.jpg

miaamor 03-09-2006 06:55 PM

?????
 
Why was the Greek Royal Family exiled from Greece?:confused:

Jackswife 03-09-2006 07:20 PM

Brief history lesson: After Constantine forced the resignation of George Papandreou, in 1967 a military junta took over, and after Constantine tried (and failed) in a countercoup to win control of Greece back, he went to Italy. The military ruled until 1974, when democracy was restored and a referendum abolished the monarchy. There's a lot more to it than that, really, but I didn't know how much detail you wanted to hear.;)

iannis 03-09-2006 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackswife
Brief history lesson: After Constantine forced the resignation of George Papandreou, in 1967 a military junta took over, and after Constantine tried (and failed) in a countercoup to win control of Greece back, he went to Italy. The military ruled until 1974, when democracy was restored and a referendum abolished the monarchy. There's a lot more to it than that, really, but I didn't know how much detail you wanted to hear.;)

Slight but important detail: Constantine was not allowed to come to Greece before the referendum of 1974 and speek for monarchy
Hence, he has not abdicated yet

ChevalieurduCiel 03-10-2006 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miaamor
Why was the Greek Royal Family exiled from Greece?:confused:


....:mad: Go ask the Planetarchs!!

iannis 03-11-2006 05:13 PM

Are TM speding Easter holidays in Greece?
 
Does anyone know whether TM are going to Greece for Easter holidays? They did so the last two years, didn't they?
I may be lucky enough to be in the same flight!:o

miaamor 03-13-2006 11:00 AM

thanks very much.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackswife
Brief history lesson: After Constantine forced the resignation of George Papandreou, in 1967 a military junta took over, and after Constantine tried (and failed) in a countercoup to win control of Greece back, he went to Italy. The military ruled until 1974, when democracy was restored and a referendum abolished the monarchy. There's a lot more to it than that, really, but I didn't know how much detail you wanted to hear.;)

Yes I will like to know more about it please:)

miaamor 03-13-2006 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChevalieurduCiel
....:mad: Go ask the Planetarchs!!

I didn't want to offend anybody,I like all this family very much and when I like somebody i like to know about them thats all.:)

crisiñaki 03-13-2006 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miaamor
I didn't want to offend anybody,I like all this family very much and when I like somebody i like to know about them thats all.:)

Don't worry you are entitled to ask questions like that and no one should blame you for that:)

miaamor 03-14-2006 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crisiñaki
Don't worry you are entitled to ask questions like that and no one should blame you for that:)

Thank You Crisinaky.:)

iannis 03-14-2006 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miaamor
Yes I will like to know more about it please:)

Constantine becane a King at the age of 24. He had a good relationship with the leader of the central party and Prime Minister Georgios Papandreou, until an insident which occured in 1965.
Georgios Papandreou's son, the later PM Andreas Papandreou, was said to be organising a conspiracy among the army, which would have as a target the overthrowing of monarchy and establishing a communist regime. In the general elections of 1965 Georgios Papandreou's party took over 50% of the votes and G. Papandreou was called by the King to organise his government, according to the constitution. With the accusations against his son holding, G. Papandreou claimed holding for himself the ministry of National Defense, which would investigate the accusations for conspiracy. The King refused to sign him having that ministry, since he found it illegal for G.P. to lead a state organ which would judge a conspiracy accusation against his son. Therefore, he proposed G.P. taking the ministry of National Defence and the accusation being judged by the ministry of Justice. G.P. refused, resigned and started a continuous fight against the palace and the King, called the 'anendotos' and giving a speach to the people of Athens where he rhetorically asked: "Who governes this country? The King or the people?". The King gave to other politicians of G.P's party the opportunity to organise the new government, which took around a year and a half, because many of the MPs refused having a government without G.P as a P.M.
Elections were about to be held in May of 1967 again, but a military coup of 3 central generals took over, prisoned most of the MPs and political leaders and tried to convince the King to join them. The King wanted to gain some time and in December of '67 attempted to do an anti-coup which was not successful. So, he left the country with his family.
When the junta came to its end, he was not allowed to come back to the country and take part in the referendum of '74 for the form of the regime. He accepted the result of the referendum which was 69% for republic led by a president, but did not abdicate, since he could not be present. He lives with his family abroad since 1967, yet, the last three years they visit Greece quite often.

Sorry if that was too many historical details. Yet, the truth should never be boring

Kelly 03-17-2006 05:52 PM

Does anyone see a resemblance of Queen Anne Marie with Juliw Andrews? They both are so beautiful even in their late 50s.

Daytona 03-18-2006 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChevalieurduCiel
....:mad: Go ask the Planetarchs!!

King konstantinos was forced to exile in 1974 after a referendum.In 1967 the army took power,some say the palace supported the coup d etat and the people was turned against him.In 1974 democracy was restored and the parliament voted a new constitution changing the regime into presidential democracy(the head of state is elected by the parliament).The former King did not have the proper consultants at that time.But as he has stated he is looking for a house in Greece for permanent residence

miaamor 03-19-2006 10:11 PM

Thanks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by iannis
Constantine becane a King at the age of 24. He had a good relationship with the leader of the central party and Prime Minister Georgios Papandreou, until an insident which occured in 1965.
Georgios Papandreou's son, the later PM Andreas Papandreou, was said to be organising a conspiracy among the army, which would have as a target the overthrowing of monarchy and establishing a communist regime. In the general elections of 1965 Georgios Papandreou's party took over 50% of the votes and G. Papandreou was called by the King to organise his government, according to the constitution. With the accusations against his son holding, G. Papandreou claimed holding for himself the ministry of National Defense, which would investigate the accusations for conspiracy. The King refused to sign him having that ministry, since he found it illegal for G.P. to lead a state organ which would judge a conspiracy accusation against his son. Therefore, he proposed G.P. taking the ministry of National Defence and the accusation being judged by the ministry of Justice. G.P. refused, resigned and started a continuous fight against the palace and the King, called the 'anendotos' and giving a speach to the people of Athens where he rhetorically asked: "Who governes this country? The King or the people?". The King gave to other politicians of G.P's party the opportunity to organise the new government, which took around a year and a half, because many of the MPs refused having a government without G.P as a P.M.
Elections were about to be held in May of 1967 again, but a military coup of 3 central generals took over, prisoned most of the MPs and political leaders and tried to convince the King to join them. The King wanted to gain some time and in December of '67 attempted to do an anti-coup which was not successful. So, he left the country with his family.
When the junta came to its end, he was not allowed to come back to the country and take part in the referendum of '74 for the form of the regime. He accepted the result of the referendum which was 69% for republic led by a president, but did not abdicate, since he could not be present. He lives with his family abroad since 1967, yet, the last three years they visit Greece quite often.

Sorry if that was too many historical details. Yet, the truth should never be boring

Thank You it's very interesting, I think nobody has the right to throw anybody out fo there country It's very sad. :)
\


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:24 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020
Jelsoft Enterprises