The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f197/)
-   -   King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie current events 2: Dec 2005 - Nov 2006 (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f197/king-constantine-and-queen-anne-marie-current-events-2-dec-2005-nov-2006-a-5763.html)

Jo 02-11-2005 11:02 PM

King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie current events 2: Dec 2005 - Nov 2006

the hello mag with trump and his new wife on the cover has an article and interview with Queen Anne-marie in it. :D

Chatleen 02-12-2005 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo
the hello mag with trump and his new wife on the cover has an article and interview with Queen Anne-marie in it. :D

Yes, I just bought it - I think it is last week's edition in the UK.

Nice, large photos - the same series as originally posted in Life & Style Greece, and an interview with Queen Anne-Marie, the same one as SpiffyBallerina kindly translated from Spanish in another thread.

Lyonnaise 04-24-2005 02:40 PM

King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie: Current Events Part 2

A new thread for KC and QAM. You can read their old thread here: https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...read.php?t=523

Please remember the forum rules and guidelines when posting!! Have fun but behave :)

gogm 05-14-2005 07:13 PM

Re. Anne-marie's Dress at Charles' and Camilla's Wedding

I don't generally understand the royal ladies' hats - they wouldn't work in a business setting. The royal ladies seem to have a hat rivalry going with hats being the twenty-first century equivalent of a tie of lace engageantes as a symbol of elevated status. But Anne-Marie's outfit with black lace top and matching trim on her jacket was delightful. Her hat fit in too. :)

Splodger 06-22-2005 08:56 AM

Anne-Marie

Does anyone ever wounder if those we talk about ever read the message boards? I was just considering if perhaps Anne-Marie had read a previous discussion regarding her style of clothes, after Prince Charle's wedding in April.

The recent photographs of Anne-Marie taken at Odysseou's christening reveal a change in style for the Queen, one which was previously suggested in the earlier discussion.

Hair
Her Majesty's new hair style is the first thing I noticed, which appears to be a retro revision of her trendy and hip 1960s look when she was Europe's hottest and most fasionable Queen. Although to me it is certainly a reflection of her youthful style of the 60s, it does not appear to be dated on her and she carries it off with pure eligance. I almost want to say it makes her look younger.

Evening Dress
Anne-Marie seems to have again taken some message board members advice regarding her dress style. The evening attire she wore to the evening reception was a vast step away from the floral pattens that she usualy weares, instead adopting a modern glittery look.

Also - has she lost weight?

Regina 07-17-2005 01:24 PM

4 Attachment(s)
They formed a very nice family together.
Queen Anne-Marie was one of the most elegants Queens of ever in Europe

rchainho 08-19-2005 07:40 AM

https://www.femalefirst.co.uk/royal_family/85342004.htm

Royal News King Constantine Rescues Puppies

August 18, 2005, 12:45:08 Royal News: Former Greek King Constantine rescued four puppies while he was out walking in the hills above the ancient Greek capital of Nafplion.

The ex-monarch came across a dead dog, which had been poisoned, and saw it had given birth to eight puppies.

Four of them were still alive and lying nearby, so Constantine carried them back to his villa.

He plans to give the puppies to his grandchildren as gifts, according to Britain's Daily Mail newspaper.

cuervo 08-20-2005 10:15 AM

That's my King

The Best there is!!!I didn't knew he was in Greece!!!

PrincessDianafan 08-23-2005 05:09 AM

HM King Constantine

4 Attachment(s)
Here are some pictures I took of HM King Constantine when he was in Singapore for the 117th IOC session.

Jackswife 08-23-2005 08:07 AM

Cute story about the puppies but the article seems rather vague :confused: . Was he on a personal solo trip or were others of the family there as well? I would imagine anytime Constantine is in Greece it's fairly major news but maybe he did manage to slip in under the radar.;)

BeatrixFan 09-20-2005 11:57 AM

Re:

I know I'm a little late but;

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY YOUR MAJESTIES!!

https://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...e-_147665f.jpg

(That's my first time posting pics so sorry if I've done it wrong!)

I think that Her Majesty looks so radiant in this photograph. Truly beautiful - I wish that there was a similar one with just Queen Anne-Marie in (No Offence to His Majesty!)

redeye215 09-26-2005 11:04 PM

Hi everyone. King Constantine and Prince Nikolas are in Melbourne for a conference with Prince Andrew of Great Britain. I'm not sure if this article has been posted here before but I will post it anyway. I have also posted it in the British Royals section.

Article from The Advertiser, 27 September, 2005

The king, the prince and the most unlikely conversation.

Once upon a time a king and two princes proceeded to leafy Ivanhoe in faraway Melbourne and posed for photographs on a school oval. The whole unlikely scenario was played out in a clearing mist early yesterday morning amid top security and no advance warning at Ivanhoe Grammar School.

Prince Andrew and King Constantine of the Hellenes are in Melbourne for the 2005 Round Square International Conference.

Round Square is an international network of schools and for a week students and staff from 19 countries will talk about unity, tolerance and understanding. King Constantine had to flee his homeland of Greece after a military coup in 1967 and now lives in London with his son, Prince Nikolas, who is also at the conference.

King Constantine is conference chairman and Prince Andrew, in Melbourne on a private visit, is a Round Square patron.

But Grand Final footy and the Ashes cricket were the hot topics of discussion yesterday as the conference was opened.

cuervo 10-07-2005 06:14 AM

King Constantine finally bought

A HOUSE in PATMOS island!I know its a beautiful house builded on marvellous location as far as I remember!I wish the best for the new investment!!

cuervo 10-08-2005 05:54 PM

Of cource,

https://groups.yahoo.com/group/princenikolaosofgreece1/
Please join

BeatrixFan 10-10-2005 07:28 PM

Re:

A HOUSE in PATMOS island!I know its a beautiful house builded on marvellous location as far as I remember!I wish the best for the new investment!!

Does this mean they'll be leaving London? I don't live that far away from them but have never seen Constantine or Anne-Marie - but I've not long been living where I am now. I still pray that I'll bump into Anne-Marie in Sainsburys!

BeatrixFan 10-11-2005 09:45 AM

Re:

It's only right that they should go back to Greece. But I worry for them a bit. Do they need the political wars and rows?

cuervo 10-11-2005 10:01 AM

Above all,

Kings and Queens live with Their people!Politics are for politicians

BeatrixFan 10-11-2005 10:15 AM

Re:

I understand that. What I meant was, they will be the topic of political talk all over Greece - is it worth the hassle?

I know that the people want them back. The referendum to abolish the monarchy was rigged and Constantine should be welcomed back as King of Greece.

If he's leaving London, he should equally be waved off as a King. I feel proud to have had Constantine and Anne-Marie living here.

pollyemma 10-11-2005 10:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
a foto of the house

pollyemma 10-11-2005 10:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
another foto. also the alex b miller sister message board.

BeatrixFan 11-22-2005 06:43 PM

Remember Layla, Constantine never abdicated. He's got a perfect right to call himself a King. Just as Michael of Romania has.

kelly9480 11-23-2005 01:36 AM

Michael did abdicate -- at gunpoint, yes, but he did, and therefore he's known as Ex-King to other royal houses.

Constantine has never abdicated his throne, so, even though Greece is a republic and looks set to remain one, he can still be called King.

A king doesn't lose his right to call himself by a title because the people changed their minds. Unless he renounces, and Constantine hasn't done that, he still has the right to call himself King of the Hellenes. Once a king, always a king -- unless he renounces. Should the monarchy ever be restored -- incredibly unlikely, I know -- he would have claim to that throne unless the monarchy was restored under a different family, so your last statement may not necessarily be true.

kelly9480 11-23-2005 04:56 AM

Ignore the patriotism and focus solely on the legal side of Constantine's use of the title. That's what the reigning royal houses do.

It doesn't matter whether you'd ever welcome him or any of his, or any other family, back -- he has the legitimate claim to the monarchy that was re-instated after the Second World War. No one can take that away from him because the claim is passed down through blood. The only way he'd lose that claim was if he abdicated or renounced, and he hasn't done that.

It doesn't matter whether he was respected by his people or his government. He was still the monarch. Charles isn't respected by some of the people or most of the government and he's still the heir. The crown is more important than the head that wears it, so who Constantine is/was as a person was less important than the monarchy as an institution.

The family retains it's royal status, they just no longer reign. They're in the same boat as the other deposed royals running around Europe and Brazil -- always titled, sometimes wealthy, usually powerless.

Warren 11-23-2005 09:37 AM

King Constantine was effectively deposed in 1967. It is now (late) 2005. If the Greek Government and some Greek people feel threatened by his use of the title "King" 38 years after the event, I see it as a reflection of their own insecurity rather than anything else.

In any case, if it is claimed that King Constantine is an irrelevance, what does it matter what he calls himself? The fact that some people find his continued use of the title unsettling is proof that he still has some relevance. Conversely, if the Greek Government is concerned, it stands accused of worrying about irrelevancies. The republicans can't have it both ways.

Warren 11-23-2005 09:54 AM

My understanding of what happened in 1967 is that King Constantine attempted a coup against the generals who had deposed the democratically-elected civilian government. The King's attempt to overturn the military dictatorship failed. The King was then forced to leave the country. I can't see any abandonment in attempting to overthrow a military dictatorship.

In contrast, King Juan Carlos was lauded for protecting the nasceant Spanish democracy against an attempted fascist coup.

susan alicia 11-23-2005 11:09 AM

my mother is greek and I go there often, the Greeks really do not care about the royals.
Constantine is not a man like Juan Carlos is for Spain for instance, so he will never be of any use to Greece.
I also think that they the coup de grace was when Pavlos married MC, zero chance now with a wife like that, they made their bed etc.

Layla1971 11-23-2005 11:20 AM

PLEASE everyone forgive for my insanity today!:o I'm in the middle of moving and jet lag and I'm acting crazy today, I hope I don't always sound like this!:D

Layla1971 11-23-2005 12:50 PM

I will ensure that this post says what I want it to say.:D

Ok, firstly King Constantine was a young and inexperienced king. He took over with little knowledge of the job that awaited him. Add an overbearing, although loving mother and it doesn't seem any easier for him.

I would have taken a different course of action but that may have turned out even worse, it's easy to look back with 20-20 vision and knowledge of all sides and agendas.

The people are divided. Those who were deeply and direcly affected by the regime & aren't aware of the facts (will we ever know all of the facts?) are against the monarchy. Those who see the King as being a victim of circumstances sympathize with him and therefore, obviously don't blame him for the actions of the Colonel's.

I was raised to believe that the monarchy abandoned Greece, that obviously infuences the way I feel about this issue. I must admit that sympathy is coming to me a little more easily as I grow older and as I'm forced to make difficult decisions of my own, although not of the same scale, of course.

The King had a young family, a widowed mother, and his homeland was in chaos, he must have feared for their safety as much as any normal father/husband/son would.

Yes, he did stage a counter-coup which failed, in hindsight he organized the counter-coup as well as he could have considering his lack of skills and experience in politics. That he tried at all should also be remembered, also that he used all of the resources available to him. The motives of this counter-coup still confuse me though.

I don't approve of the actions taken to strip the King of his citizenship, but the property is another matter - there is still debate of what was private and what was state owned property and land. The European Courts dealt with this and the Greek government settled their end of the case. I think it should be left at that until further facts are discovered.

Yes, the King is the current head of the Glucksburg Greek RF, and if the Gluckburgs ever regain the monarchy is Greece then King Constantine would have first divs on the throne.

If the people want another family for their RF then the Glucksburgs are out by the will of the people. I know some will disagree with my opinion of who decides what family should run a country, but the Glucksburgs (led by George I) were elected to reign over Greece, and the decision could be made by the people this time and vote for or against their having a monarch (and whch family) once and for all.

To be honest I think that the Greek government would never allow a new referendum for this issue because it may destabilize their own jobs. If the facts and sympathy were factored in, the people who love the monarchy may just swing the vote in their favor and the monarchy may be restored, leaving the President and most of the Republican politicians out in the cold.

They wouldn't allow this to happen.

So, that's incompetence, inexperience, citizenship and property rights out of the way.

My problem would be that if the monarchy was restored we would have the same King as Head of State that left in the first place.
The King's actions in relation to the coup d'etat will always be in question - not just by me but the media, politicians, citizens, ect. I think that in this case (and it must be a case by case basis) we can give the family and in effect, King Constantine, a second chance at reigning over Greece.

Today's world is unstable, but it is less unstable than it used to be. The people of Greece have more independence than they previously had and they know how to keep and use that power.
They would no allow King Constantine to overstep his bounds and put Greece in any danger, even if it would be unintentionally on the King's part.

He must have learnt something after all this time, he must have gained the maturity and wisdom one needs to be a monarch in any era, not just these days.

In today's world a constitutional monarchy has little more than ceremonial power anyway, the King's signature must be on official dicuments, ect, and of course, when royalty speaks, people tend to listen.
The family would have a certain amount of power - not militarily, but something more damaging if used correctly - the media through their fame. I can't remember who said it, but this reminds me of a saying - the pen is mightier than the sword.
I think the King and his family (because of their socialite lives, if not in spite of them) would know how to use this power afforded them without jeopardizing Greece in doing so.

I believe that my opinion was very much influenced by my family's experience during the dictatorship and they are very forceful in expressing those opinions, so it's hardly any wonder that I have strong opinions too.
Studying international law, I'm studying both the current and past governments - now that includes absolute monarchies, democracy, dictatorshp, communism, and constitutional moarchies.
My opinions are changing the more I study and the more I break free of the ideas instilled during my childhood in favor of the facts as we now know them.

Even though my opinion counts for little, I must say that forgiveness, second chances and moving on doesn't mean the past mistakes - real or imagined - are forgotten, just that they are dealt with in order to focus on the future of the people and of the nation.

I, after studying the facts, must say that while I wouldn't be throwing a party and be full of joy at the occassion, I would no longer be oppsed to the restoration of the Glucksburgs as the Greek Royal Family. There must be conditions made that power given to the King is not any more than is granted to any othe reigning European monarchs and a democratic constitutional monarchy being needed and expected goes without saying.

My previous posts on this subject today were purely out of misguided anger, resentment and whatever else you want to call it that should have been directed at those who are the cause of these feelings, not those who are the closest and easiest targets for my rebellion. In a way being angry with the Greek RF is like being anfry with my family, since the RF is a constant source of argument in my family.
I'm sorry for sounding like I was crazy, but I'm sure we've all had moments of tremendous disruption and pressure in our lives and therefore, we deserve some room to make mistakes and be allowed to move on. Even though my post is about larger more wide-ranging events, understanding my moment of weakness is much like needing to understand the weaknesses of the young King of Greece.

I hope this post is a return to my usual style and that my previous posts will be disregarded as being said in a moment of confusion - rather like in the heat of an argument.

Warren 11-23-2005 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Layla1971
I hope this post is a return to my usual style and that my previous posts will be disregarded as being said in a moment of confusion - rather like in the heat of an argument.

A welcome return to form, Layla.

:) W

Queens 11-26-2005 05:42 PM

family support...

recently...I have noticed that whenever the greek family has an event like christening or gathering you see the spanish family ( sofia, elena an cristina) with them most of the time to .... but Anne Marie danish family is hardly there... I think it would have been nice if the danes would come and support their greek family since the greeks are always there for the danish functions... has anyone else noticed this or am I making something out of nothing....

Q

kelly9480 11-26-2005 07:11 PM

The Greeks tend to have their major events in Greece or Spain, which may be easier for the Spaniards to attend. Also, Juan Carlos and Felipe, the monarch and the heir, are frequently absent. Just Sofia, her daughters, and Irene. So it's not like the whole Spanish clan is there.

The Danes are somewhat limited in who can come because one adult in line to the throne (excluding Princess Elisabeth who's not a member of the Council) must be in the country at all times unless special permission is sought and received (I think the PM must okay it). This shouldn't be that difficult now, with Margrethe, Benedikte, Frederik and Joachim all eligible, but Margrethe may have duties to attend to, Benedikte had a sick husband for a while, Frederik has a baby to attend to, and Joachim has a farm to run. They may all have something else to do.

When Greek events were being held in London, the Danes were around more, but Ingrid was also alive then, so she may have been responsible for rounding up her brood.

The Greeks are always at Danish events, yes, but it's not like they have royal duties to attend to. They have a lot more free time on their hands.

purple_platinum 12-22-2005 11:00 PM

I keep hearing from GRMB & FIRMB, about this christmas card released by the King, that photoshoped Carlos in?
any idea what that is?
thanks...

gogm 12-23-2005 12:15 AM

Juan Carlos v Constantine

Queen Frederika was glamorous and a beauty. But she had two drawbacks for the Greek RF. She was German-Prussian with a pro-nazi history and she meddled in politics for right-wing causes. These probably weighed heavily against Constantine. A Greek citizen may have thought "So Constantine is good, but his mother wasn't and maybe his heir won't be either."

I agree with Susan Alicia that Pavlos' marriage pretty much wipes out any chance that Greece will return to a monarchy.:(

purple_platinum 12-23-2005 09:32 AM

Greek Christmas Card 2005

as posted by Lia on Alex B.'s Miller Sisters MB

https://img488.imageshack.us/img488/7...tmas5be.th.jpg

https://img488.imageshack.us/img488/7...ristmas5be.jpg

one oops... little Carlos is photoshoped.. :D

branchg 12-26-2005 12:53 AM

Constantine was the King of the Hellenes until 1967 and reigned in Greece. He has the right to use his style as a formerly reigning Sovereign, which will end with his death.

kelly9480 12-26-2005 06:18 PM

Constantine was king of the Hellenes until the referendum abolishing the monarchy. Just because he fled in 1967 doesn't mean he lost his throne then. He was still king, just in exile.

fandesacs2003 12-28-2005 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelly9480
Constantine was king of the Hellenes until the referendum abolishing the monarchy. Just because he fled in 1967 doesn't mean he lost his throne then. He was still king, just in exile.

Right. Costantine left Greece in 1968, but he was the King of the Hellenes till 1974, until the Referendum abolishing the Monarchy. Nevertheless, in the social behavior he keeps his title of King, even if this title has no any legal or political meaning.
Francly speeking, I do not see were is the problem to debate about this title. In the same way that a former President, a Minister or an Ambassador keep their titles, why a former King should abandon his title??? It was something like his "job title", he can keep it.:cool:

rchainho 12-30-2005 06:48 PM

They go to the danish events. Do they speak danish? What language do they speak with danish relatives?

kelly9480 12-31-2005 05:40 PM

Anne-Marie speaks Danish, but Constantine doesn't, so he probably speaks English.

pollyemma 01-11-2006 01:09 PM

Quote:

Anne-Marie speaks Danish, but Constantine doesn't, so he probably speaks English.

so what language did they speak during their courtship?

kelly9480 01-12-2006 04:38 PM

They both speak English and German, but they probably spoke English until she learned Greek.

fanletizia 02-23-2006 02:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Former King Constantin of Greece and Queen Anne-Marie of Greece attend the Womens Snowboard Parallel Giant Slalom Final on Day 13 of the 2006 Turin Winter Olympic Games on February 23, 2006 in Bardonecchia, Italy.

from getty

Queen Malka 02-23-2006 02:38 PM

Isn't he (Constantin) Prince William of England's godfather?

Doña Metizia 02-23-2006 02:42 PM

Yes he is.

iannis 02-23-2006 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fandesacs2003
Right. Costantine left Greece in 1968, but he was the King of the Hellenes till 1974, until the Referendum abolishing the Monarchy. Nevertheless, in the social behavior he keeps his title of King, even if this title has no any legal or political meaning.
Francly speeking, I do not see were is the problem to debate about this title. In the same way that a former President, a Minister or an Ambassador keep their titles, why a former King should abandon his title??? It was something like his "job title", he can keep it.:cool:

The 'official' problem of the greek mainly left-wing politicians is not the title rather the fact that he used to use "Former King of Greece" as a surname in his passport, which I can not understand why should he give up, since that is the only true
However, what drives me mad is not these reactions, rather than the fact that they do not show respect to somebody who was legally the head and symbol of their nation for years. :confused:

purple_platinum 03-03-2006 01:28 AM

3 Attachment(s)
https://www.greekroyalfamily.gr/index...ews&ItemID=166

TM King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie attended the Torino Winter Olympics.
27 February 2006

TM King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie attended the Torino Winter Olympics.
As member of the International Olympic Committee, King Constantine presented the Olympic Medals to the winning teams of the Women’s Biathlon Relay.

photos caption :
1 - At the medal ceremony, with the delegates of the Diathlon Federation and the Russian IOC member Mr Vitaly Smirnov.
2 - HM King Constantine presents the medals to the winning teams of the Diathlon Relay.
3 - HM King Constantine with the IOC president Mr. Jacques Rogge.

Adry 03-09-2006 02:35 PM

King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie attended the Memorial Service for Lord Lichfield
Uk Press
https://img417.imageshack.us/img417/9572/145mx.th.jpg https://img206.imageshack.us/img206/8406/152ha.th.jpg https://img206.imageshack.us/img206/1993/129gm.th.jpg

miaamor 03-09-2006 06:55 PM

?????

Why was the Greek Royal Family exiled from Greece?:confused:

Jackswife 03-09-2006 07:20 PM

Brief history lesson: After Constantine forced the resignation of George Papandreou, in 1967 a military junta took over, and after Constantine tried (and failed) in a countercoup to win control of Greece back, he went to Italy. The military ruled until 1974, when democracy was restored and a referendum abolished the monarchy. There's a lot more to it than that, really, but I didn't know how much detail you wanted to hear.;)

iannis 03-09-2006 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackswife
Brief history lesson: After Constantine forced the resignation of George Papandreou, in 1967 a military junta took over, and after Constantine tried (and failed) in a countercoup to win control of Greece back, he went to Italy. The military ruled until 1974, when democracy was restored and a referendum abolished the monarchy. There's a lot more to it than that, really, but I didn't know how much detail you wanted to hear.;)

Slight but important detail: Constantine was not allowed to come to Greece before the referendum of 1974 and speek for monarchy
Hence, he has not abdicated yet

ChevalieurduCiel 03-10-2006 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miaamor
Why was the Greek Royal Family exiled from Greece?:confused:

....:mad: Go ask the Planetarchs!!

iannis 03-11-2006 05:13 PM

Are TM speding Easter holidays in Greece?

Does anyone know whether TM are going to Greece for Easter holidays? They did so the last two years, didn't they?
I may be lucky enough to be in the same flight!:o

miaamor 03-13-2006 11:00 AM

thanks very much.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackswife

Yes I will like to know more about it please:)

miaamor 03-13-2006 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChevalieurduCiel

I didn't want to offend anybody,I like all this family very much and when I like somebody i like to know about them thats all.:)

crisiñaki 03-13-2006 03:56 PM

Quote:

I didn't want to offend anybody,I like all this family very much and when I like somebody i like to know about them thats all.:)

Don't worry you are entitled to ask questions like that and no one should blame you for that:)

miaamor 03-14-2006 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crisiñaki
Don't worry you are entitled to ask questions like that and no one should blame you for that:)

Thank You Crisinaky.:)

iannis 03-14-2006 02:41 PM

Quote:

Yes I will like to know more about it please:)

Constantine becane a King at the age of 24. He had a good relationship with the leader of the central party and Prime Minister Georgios Papandreou, until an insident which occured in 1965.
Georgios Papandreou's son, the later PM Andreas Papandreou, was said to be organising a conspiracy among the army, which would have as a target the overthrowing of monarchy and establishing a communist regime. In the general elections of 1965 Georgios Papandreou's party took over 50% of the votes and G. Papandreou was called by the King to organise his government, according to the constitution. With the accusations against his son holding, G. Papandreou claimed holding for himself the ministry of National Defense, which would investigate the accusations for conspiracy. The King refused to sign him having that ministry, since he found it illegal for G.P. to lead a state organ which would judge a conspiracy accusation against his son. Therefore, he proposed G.P. taking the ministry of National Defence and the accusation being judged by the ministry of Justice. G.P. refused, resigned and started a continuous fight against the palace and the King, called the 'anendotos' and giving a speach to the people of Athens where he rhetorically asked: "Who governes this country? The King or the people?". The King gave to other politicians of G.P's party the opportunity to organise the new government, which took around a year and a half, because many of the MPs refused having a government without G.P as a P.M.
Elections were about to be held in May of 1967 again, but a military coup of 3 central generals took over, prisoned most of the MPs and political leaders and tried to convince the King to join them. The King wanted to gain some time and in December of '67 attempted to do an anti-coup which was not successful. So, he left the country with his family.
When the junta came to its end, he was not allowed to come back to the country and take part in the referendum of '74 for the form of the regime. He accepted the result of the referendum which was 69% for republic led by a president, but did not abdicate, since he could not be present. He lives with his family abroad since 1967, yet, the last three years they visit Greece quite often.

Sorry if that was too many historical details. Yet, the truth should never be boring

Kelly 03-17-2006 05:52 PM

Does anyone see a resemblance of Queen Anne Marie with Juliw Andrews? They both are so beautiful even in their late 50s.

Daytona 03-18-2006 07:09 AM

Quote:

King konstantinos was forced to exile in 1974 after a referendum.In 1967 the army took power,some say the palace supported the coup d etat and the people was turned against him.In 1974 democracy was restored and the parliament voted a new constitution changing the regime into presidential democracy(the head of state is elected by the parliament).The former King did not have the proper consultants at that time.But as he has stated he is looking for a house in Greece for permanent residence

miaamor 03-19-2006 10:11 PM

Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by iannis
Constantine becane a King at the age of 24. He had a good relationship with the leader of the central party and Prime Minister Georgios Papandreou, until an insident which occured in 1965.
Georgios Papandreou's son, the later PM Andreas Papandreou, was said to be organising a conspiracy among the army, which would have as a target the overthrowing of monarchy and establishing a communist regime. In the general elections of 1965 Georgios Papandreou's party took over 50% of the votes and G. Papandreou was called by the King to organise his government, according to the constitution. With the accusations against his son holding, G. Papandreou claimed holding for himself the ministry of National Defense, which would investigate the accusations for conspiracy. The King refused to sign him having that ministry, since he found it illegal for G.P. to lead a state organ which would judge a conspiracy accusation against his son. Therefore, he proposed G.P. taking the ministry of National Defence and the accusation being judged by the ministry of Justice. G.P. refused, resigned and started a continuous fight against the palace and the King, called the 'anendotos' and giving a speach to the people of Athens where he rhetorically asked: "Who governes this country? The King or the people?". The King gave to other politicians of G.P's party the opportunity to organise the new government, which took around a year and a half, because many of the MPs refused having a government without G.P as a P.M.
Elections were about to be held in May of 1967 again, but a military coup of 3 central generals took over, prisoned most of the MPs and political leaders and tried to convince the King to join them. The King wanted to gain some time and in December of '67 attempted to do an anti-coup which was not successful. So, he left the country with his family.
When the junta came to its end, he was not allowed to come back to the country and take part in the referendum of '74 for the form of the regime. He accepted the result of the referendum which was 69% for republic led by a president, but did not abdicate, since he could not be present. He lives with his family abroad since 1967, yet, the last three years they visit Greece quite often.

Sorry if that was too many historical details. Yet, the truth should never be boring

Thank You it's very interesting, I think nobody has the right to throw anybody out fo there country It's very sad. :)
\

miaamor 03-19-2006 10:12 PM

Thanks

Quote:

Thank You it's very interesting, I think nobody has the right to throw anybody out of there country It's very sad. :)
\

Daytona 04-15-2006 06:52 AM

https://www.greekroyalfamily.org/inde...ews&ItemID=189

konstantinos and Anna-Maria are visiting Greece.According to a friend of Konstantinos who was asked yesterday at television he wont be spending Easter holidays in Greece he nor any of his family.

iannis 04-15-2006 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daytona
https://www.greekroyalfamily.org/inde...ews&ItemID=189

konstantinos and Anna-Maria are visiting Greece.According to a friend of Konstantinos who was asked yesterday at television he wont be spending Easter holidays in Greece he nor any of his family.

Are the children with them? On the website there are only TM mentioned.
I doubt if Pavlos or Alexia joined them, since they have their own families, but how about Nikolaos and the young ones?

Daytona 04-15-2006 08:06 AM

Quote:

Are the children with them? On the website there are only TM mentioned.
I doubt if Pavlos or Alexia joined them, since they have their own families, but how about Nikolaos and the young ones?

I saw videos from their visit and it was only Konstantinos and Anna Maria.I dont know if Nikolaos is in Greece or if he is accompaning his parents but i doupt it.I was amazed by the fact that they are very simple,Konstantinos was driving his car.

elina 04-23-2006 10:04 PM

I looked at the picture of the Greek royal family Chrismas card 1985.
How cute Thodora and Alexia. How handsome Pavlos and Nikolaos.
They all look good. I thik beauty runs in the Greek royal family. and
I have never heard such a noble family as them. But they do not rule
in Greece any longer. What a pity!

crisiñaki 04-23-2006 11:41 PM

where did you find the picture from the Christmas Card?
I've never seen it;)

elina 04-26-2006 08:19 PM

There are their annual Christmas cards from 1985 to 2005 on the Greek royal family -home page. Point "Historical Archive". Then click "photo archive". You can find it on its last page.

fanletizia 05-06-2006 07:22 AM

3 Attachment(s)
His Majesty King Constantine, President of honour of the International Sailing Federation (ISAF) smiles during the award ceremony at the Ritz-Carlton Hotel on May 05, 2006 in Berlin, Germany. Ken Ryan was presented with the ISAF Beppe Croce Trophy 2006 for his outstanding voluntary contribution to the sport of sailing

from getty

iannis 05-21-2006 05:09 PM

Today, the day the Greek Orthodox CHurch celebrates Saints Constantine and Heleni, is His Majesty's name day

Χρόνια πολλά, Μεγαλειότατε!!

Happy name day, Your Majesty!!

elina 05-29-2006 12:47 AM

I hear that they are looking for a house in Greece. I wonder in what phase it is the search.

kelly9480 05-29-2006 02:49 AM

They apparently bought a house in Patmos sometime last year.

Daytona 05-29-2006 06:18 AM

There were rumors that he was searching for a house,not that he has already bought.It was said that Konstantinos was looking for a house at Ekali,Porto Heli and today a newspaper wrote about Hermioni.But what i believe is that he owns the villa in Palaio Psichico,which was a royal residence.This house is owned by a Greek billionnaire,ship owner who has bought this house 10 or 15 years ago and who has not made any restorations(the house is ruined) and ofcourse is not using it.Two years ago when the issue of Konstantinos property was cleared by the court of human rights and after stating that he will be visiting Greece more often,all of a sudden restorations were begun at villa Psichico.I would like to note here that Konstantinos and this ship owner are actually friends.But then again this is only my assumption!

kelly9480 05-29-2006 01:17 PM

I remember being told by a Greek that they had already bought a rich man's house, but my Greek consists of being able to recognize the alphabet and nothing more, so I would only know what Greek-speakers tell me it says.

soCal girl 05-29-2006 02:10 PM

I know the Greek Royal Family and all but everytime I read something about them, I wonder is it Constantine or Konstantine? I have seen both spellings in accredited sources. So which one is correct?

iannis 05-29-2006 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soCal girl
I know the Greek Royal Family and all but everytime I read something about them, I wonder is it Constantine or Konstantine? I have seen both spellings in accredited sources. So which one is correct?

The King's name (Κωνσταντίνος) translated in English is Constantine, coming from Latin. Konstantinos is the transcription of his name with characters of the alphabet of modern latin languages.
Therefore the term Konstantine is wrong, since it's neither the translation nor the trascription of Κωνσταντίνος in latin alphabet. Classic latin alphabet, and therefore the root constant- , by which the name derives, does not include the letter K.

reximperatorx 05-29-2006 06:32 PM

Of Citizenship and Status

Quote:

The 'official' problem of the greek mainly left-wing politicians is not the title rather the fact that he used to use "Former King of Greece" as a surname in his passport, which I can not understand why should he give up, since that is the only true
However, what drives me mad is not these reactions, rather than the fact that they do not show respect to somebody who was legally the head and symbol of their nation for years. :confused:

One thing that must be understood here is that the Greek Constitution, even the one in effect before the abolition of monarchy, does not recognize titles. For example, the title of Duke of Sparta that the first King Constantine was using while a Crown Prince and was also used by the current King Constantine, former king of the Hellenes, is through and through unconstitutional. A similar situation can only be found in Norway, where both royal titles as well as titles of nobility have been abolished. As in Norway, Greece was recognizing only the titles of King (and his consort), Diadoch (heir to the throne and his consort - usually styled as princess Diadoch, πριγκίπισσα Διαδόχου) and Royal Children - ΒασιλόπαιδεΣ). Importantly, even when royal in their own right, consorts of Greek princes were not styled as princesses of the blood. For example, when HRIH grand duchess Elena of all Russias married prince Nicholas, she was reduced to merely princess Nicholas of Greece - πριγκίπισσα Νικολάου. Another example: when Alice of Battenberg married prince Andrew of Greece, she became princess Andrew of Greece - πριγκίπισσα Ανδρέου. Importantly, grand children of even reigning kings had no title, that is, they were not princes or princesses.
Thus, all Greek citizens are private citizens and must have a surname. After all, royals all over Europe do have a last name. If the monarchy were to be abolished, in Sweden, the king and family would become citizens Bernadotte; in Denmark, citizens Glucksburg or Rosenborg; in Great Britain, citizens Windsor-Mountbatten and so on and so forth.
Socially or among royal circles, king Constantine may certainly use the courtesy title of former king of the Hellenes, he may perhaps still be entitled to be addressed as HM because he did reign and he was annointed, but he must adopt a surname if he wants to be a Greek citizen and hold a Greek passport.

kelly9480 05-29-2006 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reximperatorx
One thing that must be understood here is that the Greek Constitution, even the one in effect before the abolition of monarchy, does not recognize titles. For example, the title of Duke of Sparta that the first King Constantine was using while a Crown Prince and was also used by the current King Constantine, former king of the Hellenes, is through and through unconstitutional. A similar situation can only be found in Norway, where both royal titles as well as titles of nobility have been abolished. As in Norway, Greece was recognizing only the titles of King (and his consort), Diadoch (heir to the throne and his consort - usually styled as princess Diadoch, πριγκίπισσα Διαδόχου) and Royal Children - ΒασιλόπαιδεΣ).

According to Constantine, he never used the Sparta title, it was mistakenly given to him by the press, but he has stated that it is incorrect to use it.

ChevalieurduCiel 05-29-2006 07:24 PM

Quote:

There were rumors that he was searching for a house,not that he has already bought.It was said that Konstantinos was looking for a house at Ekali,Porto Heli and today a newspaper wrote about Hermioni.But what i believe is that he owns the villa in Palaio Psichico,which was a royal residence.This house is owned by a Greek billionnaire,ship owner who has bought this house 10 or 15 years ago and who has not made any restorations(the house is ruined) and ofcourse is not using it.Two years ago when the issue of Konstantinos property was cleared by the court of human rights and after stating that he will be visiting Greece more often,all of a sudden restorations were begun at villa Psichico.I would like to note here that Konstantinos and this ship owner are actually friends.But then again this is only my assumption!

Be happy when a King invests in places!!Ha!Ha!Neighbouring estates are HAPPY!!!!I would advise His Majesty to buy North!!The Northern the better!!Go,North Your Majesty!!!

ChevalieurduCiel 05-29-2006 07:27 PM

Quote:

According to Constantine, he never used the Sparta title, it was mistakenly given to him by the press, but he has stated that it is incorrect to use it.

Yes,but His Majesty HAS the Title!!!

ChevalieurduCiel 05-29-2006 07:35 PM

Quote:

The King's name (Κωνσταντίνος) translated in English is Constantine, coming from Latin. Konstantinos is the transcription of his name with characters of the alphabet of modern latin languages.
Therefore the term Konstantine is wrong, since it's neither the translation nor the trascription of Κωνσταντίνος in latin alphabet. Classic latin alphabet, and therefore the root constant- , by which the name derives, does not include the letter K.

I simply don't change K(ωνσταντινος) with C(onstantine).I like K(onstantine)because I have a pin, K with a crown in the middle,wich is valuable to me.Greek was in fashion before Latin,so let it be K;)

reximperatorx 05-29-2006 08:58 PM

Wrong

Quote:

I wish what he claims was true. I have in my library a rare book of 1958 about the Royal House of Greece, edited and published officially by the Ministry of State [Υπουργείο ΠροεδρίαΣ ΚυβερνήσεωΣ] while Constantine karamanlis was Prime Minister and George Rallis Minister of State [ΥπουργόΣ ΠροεδρίαΣ ΚυβερνήσεωΣ]. In that book, Constantine was styles as "HRH, The Diadoch Constantine, Duke of Sparta", "AΒΥ, ο ΔιάδοχοΣ ΚωνσταντίνοΣ, Δούξ τηΣ ΣπάρτηΣ". This, in fact, shows that even the (right-wing) governments of the time were committing unconstitutional acts because they were fearing the wrath of Frederika. Indeed, they were peons in her hands until the democratic George Papandreou rose to power in 1964 [George Papandreou should not be confused with his son, Andreas Papandreou, Prime Minister in the 80's and 90's, nor with his grandson (and son of Andreas) George A. Papandreou, current Leader of the Opposition in the Greek Parliament.
Αnd let me add one more thing. If Constantine were respectful of the Constitution, even the one in effect before the abolition of monarchy (in 1974), he should have never allowed Mrs Marie-Chantal Miller to be styled or addressed as "royal" or "highness" or "crown princess", simply because, according to the Greek precedent, princes marrying commoners had to resign their rights to the throne, cease to be princes/royal/hignesses etc., their marriages were morganatic and their spouses retained their maiden names. For example, prince Michael's wife, a Greek commoner, Ms Marina Karella, upon her marriage to him, remained Marina Karella, he resigned his rights to the throne and his two daughters (Olga and Alexandra) are commoners and not (self-styled) princesses.

ChevalieurduCiel 05-29-2006 09:18 PM

Quote:

I wish what he claims was true. I have in my library a rare book of 1958 about the Royal House of Greece, edited and published officially by the Ministry of State [Υπουργείο ΠροεδρίαΣ ΚυβερνήσεωΣ] while Constantine karamanlis was Prime Minister and George Rallis Minister of State [ΥπουργόΣ ΠροεδρίαΣ ΚυβερνήσεωΣ]. In that book, Constantine was styles as "HRH, The Diadoch Constantine, Duke of Sparta", "AΒΥ, ο ΔιάδοχοΣ ΚωνσταντίνοΣ, Δούξ τηΣ ΣπάρτηΣ". This, in fact, shows that even the (right-wing) governments of the time were committing unconstitutional acts because they were fearing the wrath of Frederika. Indeed, they were peons in her hands until the democratic George Papandreou rose to power in 1964 [George Papandreou should not be confused with his son, Andreas Papandreou, Prime Minister in the 80's and 90's, nor with his grandson (and son of Andreas) George A. Papandreou, current Leader of the Opposition in the Greek Parliament.
Αnd let me add one more thing. If Constantine were respectful of the Constitution, even the one in effect before the abolition of monarchy (in 1974), he should have never allowed Mrs Marie-Chantal Miller to be styled or addressed as "royal" or "highness" or "crown princess", simply because, according to the Greek precedent, princes marrying commoners had to resign their rights to the throne, cease to be princes/royal/hignesses etc., their marriages were morganatic and their spouses retained their maiden names. For example, prince Michael's wife, a Greek commoner, Ms Marina Karella, upon her marriage to him, remained Marina Karella, he resigned his rights to the throne and his two daughters (Olga and Alexandra) are commoners and not (self-styled) princesses.

If they Princesses Alexandra &Olga are not princesses of greece and denmark then why Royal Forums have a special thread about them???Ha??:D:D:D

iannis 05-29-2006 09:59 PM

Quote:

I simply don't change K(ωνσταντινος) with C(onstantine).I like K(onstantine)because I have a pin, K with a crown in the middle,wich is valuable to me.Greek was in fashion before Latin,so let it be K;)

Well, then K can stand for Konstantinos or Κωνσταντίνος, which are both correct;)

iannis 05-29-2006 10:01 PM

Quote:

For example, the title of Duke of Sparta that the first King Constantine was using while a Crown Prince and was also used by the current King Constantine, former king of the Hellenes, is through and through unconstitutional

The title was also given to CP Pavlos

Warren 05-30-2006 05:01 AM

Quote:

If they Princesses Alexandra &Olga are not princesses of greece and denmark then why Royal Forums have a special thread about them???Ha??:D:D:D

Most people who are interested in Royal Families recognise Michael, Alexandra and Olga as Princesses of Greece and Denmark, Royal Highness, and that's good enough for us. :)

kelly9480 05-30-2006 05:12 AM

Quote:

The title was also given to CP Pavlos

Not according to Constantine, it wasn't. He has always said that the Sparta title is not supposed to be used because it was a one-off for the first CP and wasn't meant to be used ever again (and was never supposed to be used inside Greece). The Ministry of State may have accorded the heirs this title, but according to Constantine, such an accordance is not in compliance with the constitution.

Stefanie 06-02-2006 01:21 PM

Happy birthday-wishes

Don´t know whether this is the correct message board to post but: KONSTANTIN turns 66 today.HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Daytona 06-12-2006 03:47 PM

I just saw konstantinos in his car at my street.He was with the guy he is always following him and i think it was Nikolaos as well.What a rush!

m 12 06-12-2006 04:21 PM

Quote:

I just saw konstantinos in his car at my street.He was with the guy he is always following him and i think it was Nikolaos as well.What a rush!

You are very very lucky. :D :D

ChevalieurduCiel 06-12-2006 04:55 PM

He was in a rush,maybe because he was late for the "Black Goat"traditional sailing competition,as I read in

https://www.greekroyalfamily.gr

Daytona 06-13-2006 03:55 AM

He was not in a rush.I saw Konstantinos at night.I was excited to see him for the first time in reality.

Probably i wrote "rush" wrong,meant with the word rush what an excitement!

Lucidu 06-13-2006 05:23 PM

His Majesty's King Constantine's office in London will be moving to
15 Grosvenor Square

London W1K 6LD

Tel: 020 7493 8281
Fax: 020 7493 8283

adelaide 06-13-2006 07:44 PM

I reed but I forgot where that the last summer the Princes of Asturias have spent some days in Corfou to be far away of "mallorquinos paparazzi " Does anybody knows the place and may be if that was in a greek royal family's house.

I can't imagine that the Queen Sophia didn't Know the greek destination of the Princes of Asturias, more in my oponion she had to help them to find a lovely and secret place in Corfou? but it's only a subjective supposition!

Opal 06-16-2006 08:15 PM

I wonder why his office is moving. Actually, for some reason I assumed he "worked" out of his home. Don't know why I thought that. Anyway, I wonder how many staff he has working for him (besides Nikolaos). Anyone know?

iceflower 07-06-2006 03:14 AM

LONDON - JULY 05: King Constantin of Greece and Queen Anne-Marie of Greece arrive at David Frost's Summer Party on July 5, 2006 in London, England

https://i6.tinypic.com/1z4cnlv.jpg https://i6.tinypic.com/1z4cnsy.jpg https://i6.tinypic.com/1z4co0i.jpg
(Gettyimages)

BeatrixFan 07-07-2006 10:48 AM

Her Majesty looks so summery and beautiful. Lovely dress indeed.

RoyalProtocol 08-04-2006 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rchat
I wonder why his office is moving. Actually, for some reason I assumed he "worked" out of his home. Don't know why I thought that. Anyway, I wonder how many staff he has working for him (besides Nikolaos). Anyone know?

I know His Majesty's secretary in the office is Ms Jackie Morgan and there is also a woman who answers the phone who as a slight foreign accent.

Stefanie 08-05-2006 07:13 AM

Interview with Queen Anne-Marie on SRMB

Some interesting news: She doesn´t expect Nikolaos to marry Tatiana. She will celebrate her 60th birthday in a new house in Greece. She wants to be buried in Greece. She doesn´t speak Greek that well but since they are more often in Greece during the last years it improves. She quit smoking 25 years ago, Constantin five years ago. The only smoker in the family now is Niko.

norwegianne 08-05-2006 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stefanie
Some interesting news: She doesn´t expect Nikolaos to marry Tatiana. She will celebrate her 60th birthday in a new house in Greece. She wants to be buried in Greece. She doesn´t speak Greek that well but since they are more often in Greece during the last years it improves. She quit smoking 25 years ago, Constantin five years ago. The only smoker in the family now is Niko.

The facts are from the interview in this week's edition of Billed Bladet (number 31, 3. august, 2006), where Anne-Marie sat down with the same journalist (Anna Johannesen) as she did for her 50th birthday, on occasion of her 60th.

Quote:

Journalist: Both your sisters have gray hair

Anne-Marie: Yes, but there is something called colouring. And then it is up to the individual what one wants to do, and I don't want to have gray hair yet. Or show that I have. So my hair is the only thing that isn't natural.

Quote:

Anne-Marie: Now that my mother's palace is being renovated for the Crown Prince couple, Benedikte and I have moved into Christian VIII's palace. She has a flat in the pavillion building between Amaliegade and the Palace Square and I have taken over Prince Joachim's old flat in the side building. It's not completely done yet, so until autumn I'm living in the rooms in Frederik VIII's palace where the court marschal and court manager used to live. But it will be nice to have my own. So that I can go home and close my door when I want to.

Daytona 08-06-2006 10:53 AM

The Anna Maria foundation donated 50000 euros to the (greek) fire brigade and new vehicules were bought.The former king and queen were there.