The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Current Events Archive (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f283/)
-   -   Luxembourg Grand Ducal Family, Current Events 2: April 2005 - February 2006 (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f283/luxembourg-grand-ducal-family-current-events-2-april-2005-february-2006-a-5552.html)

Alexandria 04-05-2005 07:21 PM

Luxembourg Grand Ducal Family, Current Events 2: April 2005 - February 2006

Welcome to Part 3 of News and Pictures of the Grand Ducal Family.

The previous thread can be found here:https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...?t=4408&page=1.

Please keep in mind TRF's Posting Rules & Guidelines, which can be found here:
https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4920.

Happy posting! :)

drimal 04-08-2005 06:40 AM

35 years ago Prince Felix died at Fischbach!

1 Attachment(s)
Spouse of Grand Duchess Charlotte, Prince Felix died 35 years ago with 77 years

In my newspaper there was a remembrance today that Prince Felix, the spouse of Grand Duchess Charlotte (died in 1985), had gone away on 8th April 1970, accuarately 35 years ago.

Prince Felix of Luxembourg had the titles Prince of Bourbon de Parme, Prince of Nassau. He was burried on 11th April 1970 at 15 o'clock.
Only one year before, in 1969 the couple had celebrated its Golden wedding.

Below is a picture with Grand Duchess Charlotte and Prince Felix.

rere 04-08-2005 09:08 PM

from turkishpress.com

Arinc Due To Luxembourg
ANKARA - Turkish Parliament Speaker Bulent Arinc will pay a state visit to Luxembourg between April 10th and 13th upon invitation of Parliament Speaker Lucien Weiler of Luxembourg.

He will start his official program in Luxembourg on April 11th.

Arinc is scheduled to meet Grand Duke Henri, Prime Minister Jean Gaude Junker and Parliament Speaker Weiler.

He will also visit Vassilios Skouris, the president of the Court of Justice of the European Communities. Arinc is expected to return to Turkey on April 13th.

gaggleofcrazypeople 04-08-2005 10:06 PM

I saw Henri and MT at the funeral of the Pope!

ysakuraba 04-09-2005 02:20 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Funeral of Pope John Paul II
From Gettyimages and Seeger Press

Nathalian 04-09-2005 03:21 PM

Did MT and Henri got to Prince Charles wedding? I saw that they were on the list of guest conformed...

gaggleofcrazypeople 04-09-2005 10:33 PM

Well then I guess they went. But I didn't see them. I was too busy looking at other people.

drimal 04-10-2005 04:38 AM

7 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the pics ysakuraba!:)

Some more pictures of the funeral of Pope John Paul II.

You see the Grand Ducal couple in pics 5 and 6.;)

gaggleofcrazypeople 04-10-2005 05:11 PM

Who were they next to?

rere 04-10-2005 06:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
In this picture they are next to the Lichenstein royals.

Is M-T wearing a new piece of jewelry?

lisamaria 04-12-2005 07:04 AM

Hmmph

2 Attachment(s)
The poster features several scantily dressed Brazilian Samba dancers. “It’s a sexy poster”, said Helminger, commenting on the daring design.

Okay, if there is someone here who has seen the poster, please take a photo and send it here. I sooo want to see it... :D

I attach couple things I scanned from Point de Vue magazine. Enjoy.

-Lisa

pasiphaé 04-12-2005 11:26 AM

Do you know the week of publication for the magazine where you found the last picture?

gaggleofcrazypeople 04-12-2005 05:57 PM

What do the captions say?

simplicity8318 04-12-2005 09:59 PM

Loose translation, mind you, I quit taking french classes a year and a half ago.

In the picture with Felix, Alexandra and Louis, it says that

80% of soccer balls (footballs) are made in Pakistan by child workers. Three of the five children of Grand-Duke Henri visited the Transfair-Minka society who's trying to adopt regulations in the countries where these children work. It was an awakening experience for the children of Maria-Theresa who supports them (meaning the society I guess).

In Guillaume's pic:

Very elegant, Hereditary Grand duke Guillaume of Luxembourg handed out the Prize for the Federation of Craftsmen (?) 2004. Very professionally, Guillaume congratulated each of the laureates for the quality of their work.

Anybody more proficient in French, feel free to correct it.

msfroyste 04-13-2005 12:52 AM

thanks for the pics lisamaria and thanks for the translation simplicity8318. i suppose we're gonna be hearing and seeing alot from them this week and next week considering the fact that henri's b'day is coming up soon.

lisamaria 04-13-2005 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pasiphaé
Do you know the week of publication for the magazine where you found the last picture?

Hello!

The one with Guillaume was published some three weeks ago; the other in last November I think. If you want the exact dates, I can check.

-Lisa

Danielle 04-13-2005 01:54 AM

Thanks for the photos and articles, everyone. Guillaume looks so good in that suit. :) I really hope there are photos from Henri's party.

drimal 04-13-2005 03:53 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Pictures of the Grand Ducal family during memorial of Pope John Paul II in the cathedrale Our Lady in Luxembourg

These pictures are from last Saturday, the Grand Ducal couple, Princess Alexandra, Prince Sebastien and Hereditary Grand Duke Guillaume were present.

Danielle 04-13-2005 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drimal
Pictures of the Grand Ducal family during memorial of Pope John Paul II in the cathedrale Our Lady in Luxembourg

These pictures are from last Saturday, the Grand Ducal couple, Princess Alexandra, Prince Sebastien and Hereditary Grand Duke Guillaume were present.

Thank you for the photos. Why didn't GD Jean attend? Or Felix, for that matter?

gaggleofcrazypeople 04-13-2005 06:26 PM

Is it just me or does it seem like Guillaume has lost some weight?

stacy 04-13-2005 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gaggleofcrazypeople
Is it just me or does it seem like Guillaume has lost some weight?

You're right, it does seem like he has lost weight - maybe he has started training? :)

lamass 04-13-2005 11:20 PM

where is felix and louis??? is louis at sandhurst?

msfroyste 04-14-2005 01:40 AM

thanks for the pics drimal. i can imagine felix is probably in brussels at school, studying who knows what, and louis is probably at sandhurst??? and guillaume does look like he's lost a few, could've gained them via studying and/or holiday food, he's cute either way, hehe. as for gd jean, he's probably still in mourning. i hope he is doing well.

lisamaria 04-14-2005 06:58 AM

About Lichtenstein

Today I learned from BBC that the Lichtenstein royal family was involved with the Nazis during the WW2 and for example used forced labour (ie. Jews) to work in their estates and other properties; they didn't say for sure, but apparently it's now thought that Hans Adam's rather substantial wealth stinks of stolen money. Luxembourg royals do have connections to that family, but also, they were battered by the Nazis during the war... What do you reckon will this do to the relations of these families?

-Lisa :(

gaggleofcrazypeople 04-14-2005 06:22 PM

The Luxembourgs fled to Britain; I don't think they really like the Nazis.

stacy 04-14-2005 10:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another pic from pope John Paul II's funeral:

ysakuraba 04-15-2005 11:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Funeral Of Monaco's Prince Rainier III

agisele 04-15-2005 12:57 PM

not only does guillaume look like he's lost weight, but so does Maria-Theresa. or maybe it's because in the last two pictures she's wearing black and black tends to make you slimer than you actually are?

rere 04-15-2005 01:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
https://www.gouvernement.lu/index.html

The family attended a ceremony April 13, 2005, at the Luxembourg Embassy in London to commemorate the 60th Anniversary of the return from exile of Grand Duchess Charlotte of Luxembourg, on 13th April 1945.

Also, the family and the Earl of Wessex attended a lunch following the ceremony at the embassy with representatives of the war veterans and members of the Luxembourg community in Great Britain.

rere 04-15-2005 01:58 PM

2 Attachment(s)
News related to the royal family
Prime Minister of Luxembourg, Jean-Claude Juncker, and U.S. President George W. Bush sit during a meeting in the Oval Office April 15, 2005 in Washington, D.C.

Does this mean Luxembourg and the United States are planning a state visit?

msfroyste 04-17-2005 12:50 AM

well, it seems we now have plenty of pics, and they're new. *jumps for joy,hehehe.

HMQueenElizabethII 04-17-2005 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rere
https://www.gouvernement.lu/index.html

The family attended a ceremony April 13, 2005, at the Luxembourg Embassy in London to commemorate the 60th Anniversary of the return from exile of Grand Duchess Charlotte of Luxembourg, on 13th April 1945.

Also, the family and the Earl of Wessex attended a lunch following the ceremony at the embassy with representatives of the war veterans and members of the Luxembourg community in Great Britain.

Any pics of the family attend the Luncheon with the Earl of Wessex in Great Britain on 13th April 2005?I've found lots but there are no pics.

gaggleofcrazypeople 04-18-2005 05:46 PM

Of the Earl?

ysakuraba 04-18-2005 06:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
with Prince Edward in London.

Alexandria 04-18-2005 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ysakuraba
with Prince Edward in London.

Thank ysakuraba for this picture. :) Grand Duchess Maria Teresa looks very chic in her grey suit and oversized hat.

Does anyone know anything about the designers Maria Teresa often wears? Are there Luxembourg fashion houses that she frequents or does she wear foreign designers?

Alisa 04-18-2005 09:33 PM

She wears alot of Natan like most of the royal ladies in the Benelux countries.

Nathalian 04-18-2005 09:38 PM

Pictures of the children

Do you guys can post pictures of Guillaume, Felix, Louis, Alexandra and Sebastien when they were babies and growing up? Because I didn´t see much pictures of them as baby...

gaggleofcrazypeople 04-19-2005 05:39 PM

I've heard that she does do some shopping in Luxembourg, but she probabl does shopping elsewhere, too.

Therre are alot of old pics of them in a thread that was solely for pics a while back. But they were babies, so their parents probably didn't want them near the camera too often.

ysakuraba 05-01-2005 02:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
https://www.wort.lu/articles/4712260.html

Schlussprozession beendet Oktave

Letzte Aktualisierung: 01-05-2005 18:58 (jm) - Mit der feierlichen Schlussprozession endete an diesem Sonntag die diesjährige Oktave, die unter dem Motto "Wir sind gekommen, ihn anzubeten" stand. An der Schlussprozession nahm die großherzogliche Familie teil, die am Morgen bereits dem Pontifikalamt in der Kathedrale beigewohnt hatte. Zahlreiche Gläubige hatten sich in der Hauptstadt eingefunden, um an der Schlussfeier der Marienwallfahrt teilzunehmen. In den vergangenen zwei Wochen waren mehrere tausend Gläubige aus dem In- und Ausland in die Hauptstadt gepilgert, um der Heiligen Jungfrau zu huldigen.

Danielle 05-01-2005 04:10 PM

Quote:

Letzte Aktualisierung: 01-05-2005 18:58 (jm) - Mit der feierlichen Schlussprozession endete an diesem Sonntag die diesjährige Oktave, die unter dem Motto "Wir sind gekommen, ihn anzubeten" stand. An der Schlussprozession nahm die großherzogliche Familie teil, die am Morgen bereits dem Pontifikalamt in der Kathedrale beigewohnt hatte. Zahlreiche Gläubige hatten sich in der Hauptstadt eingefunden, um an der Schlussfeier der Marienwallfahrt teilzunehmen. In den vergangenen zwei Wochen waren mehrere tausend Gläubige aus dem In- und Ausland in die Hauptstadt gepilgert, um der Heiligen Jungfrau zu huldigen.

Thanks for the information and photo. I can't understand most of that. Does anyone know what it means?

BeccaLynn07 05-02-2005 06:27 PM

Alright, with a very bad online translator this is what I got from that article...

Conclusion pro assignment terminates oktave
Last actualization: 01-05-2005 18:58 (jm) - with the solemn
conclusion pro assignment the oktave of this year on this Sunday,
which are under the slogan "we come, him anzubeten", ended. In the
conclusion pro assignment the grossherzogliche family participated,
which had attended the Pontifikalamt in the cathedral in the morning
already. Numerous Glaeubige had appeared itself in the capital, in
order to participate in the conclusion celebration of the
Marienwallfahrt. In the past two weeks several thousand Glaeubige from
the in and foreign country were gepilgert into the capital, around the
holy virgin to huldigen.

Horrible translation but maybe someone else can figure out the rest. Better than nothing, right?

msfroyste 05-03-2005 04:44 AM

thanks for the effort BeccaLynn07, something IS better than nothing, hehe.

drimal 05-04-2005 05:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Translation:

Final procession of the octave.

01.05.2005 18:38: With the solemn final procession of this year's octave, who had as a motto "We are coming, to pray to him". The Grand Ducal family participated on the final procession, after being present in the Pontificial Mass in the cathedrale in the morning. Many faithful have been in the capital to participate at the final ceremony of the Pilgrimage of the Virgin Mary. In the past two weeks, many thousand faithful from Luxembourg and abroad have made a pilgrimage to thank the Virgin Mary.

hillary_nugent 05-04-2005 10:12 AM

Thanks for the translation Drimal and BeccaLynn07 ^___^ wow Alexandra looks different more mature ^__^ and look Sebastian changed his hairstyle! he's hairstyle looks more like his brothers now!!! ^___^

gaggleofcrazypeople 05-04-2005 06:40 PM

I don't think Sebastien's hair style looks a thing like his brothers'.

KatieLouise 05-05-2005 03:07 AM

Hmm... I think Sebastien's hair is getting like the others' as well. It looks a bit like Felix's has on occasion (you know, a bit long at the back). He did have quite short hair no so long ago, which didn't really look like his brothers' hair. What do other people think? :)

hillary_nugent 05-05-2005 06:42 AM

yeah i agree with you katielouise...he has parted his hair to one side like Felix does sometimes...

drimal 05-05-2005 06:57 AM

I was really surprised too! At the funeral of his grandmother Josephine-Charlotte in January he had still short hair.;)

gaggleofcrazypeople 05-05-2005 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drimal
I was really surprised too! At the funeral of his grandmother Josephine-Charlotte in January he had still short hair.;)

Short? I thought it was long!

msfroyste 05-07-2005 02:24 AM

same here. his hair does look better now than it did during henri's b'day celebrations.

hillary_nugent 05-08-2005 06:38 AM

So when is the next time the family gets to appear together in public? ^___^ Felix's 21st birthday? ^___^

gaggleofcrazypeople 05-08-2005 05:02 PM

Maybe. But definately for National Day.

hillary_nugent 05-09-2005 10:30 AM

When is National day again?

HMQueenElizabethII 05-09-2005 10:39 AM

8 Attachment(s)
The Grand Dukes and Grand Duchess attended event commomerating 60th Anniversary of the end of WWII yesterday:

hillary_nugent 05-09-2005 10:52 AM

Thanks for the pics HMQEII ^___^
i was just wondering...did Luxembourg particpate in WWII or were they neutral like Switzerland? i know that Luxembourg was partially destroyed from the war...did they send soldiers? and if so how many? Luxembourg has such a small population it would have been extra hard to lose so many young men...

stacy 05-09-2005 11:39 AM

Luxembourg was occupied by the nazies and Grand Duke Jean was in the (British?) army during the war - so I expect they participated

gaggleofcrazypeople 05-09-2005 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hillary_nugent
When is National day again?

June 23rd.

kelly9480 05-09-2005 08:16 PM

Jean fought in the Irish Guards during WWII.

hillary_nugent 05-10-2005 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelly9480
Jean fought in the Irish Guards during WWII.

Why didn't he fight with the Luxembourg army or something...didn't they have one?

suturegeisha 05-10-2005 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hillary_nugent
Why didn't he fight with the Luxembourg army or something...didn't they have one?

I'm not sure, but it might have had something to do with the fact that GD Charlotte and her family fled to London and set up government-in-exile there when the war broke out.

drimal 05-10-2005 08:23 AM

When German troops invaded the Grand Duchy on 10th May 1940, Prince Jean left Luxembourg together with the Grand Ducal Family. They first found refuge in France before leaving for the United States, Canada and Great Britain.
At the University of Laval in Quebec the Hereditary Grand Duke read Law and Political Science. In November 1942 He joined the British Army as a volunteer in the Irish Guards, where he occupied the rank of lieutenant in 1943 and of captain in 1944. He was promoted colonel of the Irish Guards on 21 August 1984.

On 11th June 1944 He crossed the Channel landing near Bayeux. He then served in Normandy as Liaison Officer to the 3rd Bn Irish Guards at HQ, 32nd Brigade, which was a part of the Guards Armoured Division.

During the period of the Second World War, His Royal Highness took part in the battle of Caen and the liberation of Brussels (3rd September 1944).

On 10th September 1944, He joined His Father, Prince Félix of Luxembourg, and the 1st Allied troops that liberated Luxembourg ; on 13th September 1944, He rejoined His unit and took part in the Arnem operations and the Rundstedt offensive.

He remained in Germany with His unit of the Allied Forces till 14th April 1945, then joined the Military Mission to Luxembourg where He stayed until the end of the war.

Here is the link:https://www.gouvernement.lu/dossiers/famille_grand_ducale/chregneuk/infobase/cvjean.html

PS: Although Luxembourg was neutral during WWII it was attacked by the nazis. It was more a march through France. Luxembourg situated on both frontiers to France and to Germany, thus a very interesting place on the strategic way for Hitler's army. They didn't bother about Luxembourg's neutrality.:(

gaggleofcrazypeople 05-11-2005 05:06 PM

I heard Luxembourg was neutral in this war. Is this true?

ysakuraba 05-12-2005 02:23 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Guillaume was childhood.
Pictures from https://editorial.acionline.biz/home.pp

pasiphaé 05-17-2005 12:06 AM

10 Attachment(s)
Pictures I found out recently:rolleyes:

hillary_nugent 05-17-2005 12:11 AM

Great pics pasiphae ^___^

does anyone know when the 3rd last picture was taken?

pasiphaé 05-17-2005 12:12 AM

10 Attachment(s)
Some others:D !

HMQueenElizabethII 05-17-2005 02:21 AM

10 Attachment(s)
And more mix-gallery:

Some more photos:

HMQueenElizabethII 05-17-2005 02:40 AM

7 Attachment(s)
And the last set:

msfroyste 05-17-2005 04:08 AM

wow, lots of pic i haven't seen. thanks everyone. when were they taken?

Alexandria 05-17-2005 09:22 AM

I've removed some posts with pictures as the pictures have been posted in several places on the forum now, including older threads on the Grand Ducal family as well as the Photo Gallery.

As we would like to continue to enjoy pictures and we have an attachment growth problem, we would not want to encounter a bandwidth problem due to repeated images being re-posted over and over again so that we could not enjoy new images.

Alexandria
Royal Forums Administrator

gaggleofcrazypeople 05-17-2005 05:50 PM

The first two posts I believe are from 1999 and 2004.

pasiphaé 05-22-2005 12:46 PM

10 Attachment(s)
Here are some pics I just found

gaggleofcrazypeople 05-22-2005 06:10 PM

Is that Guillaume in the second photo?

suturegeisha 05-22-2005 08:39 PM

Quote:

Is that Guillaume in the second photo?

Guillaume and Felix.

pasiphaé 05-22-2005 09:34 PM

Well, Félix and Guillaume;)

pasiphaé 05-25-2005 11:33 AM

8 Attachment(s)
Other pics...:D

delineate 05-25-2005 04:54 PM

I wonder what Guillaume and the GD were looking at in the second-to-last picture?

pasiphaé 05-25-2005 08:35 PM

Probably at some paintings

msfroyste 05-26-2005 05:15 AM

possibly frescos in St. Peter's Basillica. it was taken on their family vacation? to rome in 2000?.

gaggleofcrazypeople 05-26-2005 06:50 PM

Yes. They saw the Pope then, I think so it is quite possible that they were in St. Peter's.

delineate 05-26-2005 11:12 PM

Ah, makes sense to me now...the background is very dark, so I couldn't really tell where they were at.

msfroyste 05-27-2005 06:03 AM

i don't and didn't know if they saw him or not. i thought they made an official visit to the vatican in 2003.

pasiphaé 05-29-2005 11:05 AM

10 Attachment(s)
Pictures I found in a yahoo group:cool:

pasiphaé 05-29-2005 11:06 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Here are the others:cool:

drimal 05-30-2005 04:38 AM

10 Attachment(s)
Great pictures pasiphaé!:)

I have found some nice pics on the web recently:

drimal 05-30-2005 04:43 AM

9 Attachment(s)
more pics...

Found them on worldroots.com;)

carlota 05-30-2005 09:16 AM

the spanish prime minister will visit luxembourg today and the grand dukes will receive him.

HMQueenElizabethII 05-30-2005 10:00 AM

6 Attachment(s)
More pictures:

gaggleofcrazypeople 05-30-2005 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlota
the spanish prime minister will visit luxembourg today and the grand dukes will receive him.

Has anyone seen pics of that? And will the Spanish PM be meeting with the Luxembourgish PM as well?

drimal 06-08-2005 04:29 AM

5 Attachment(s)
The Grand Ducal couple visited German neighbour town Trier

1) after the arrival of the Grand Ducal couple at the Porta Nigra (symbol of Trier), the Wilhelmus (official anthem of the Grand Ducal family) was played
2) a present to the host: "Tigres Royaux Marchant" of August Trémont (1892-1980)
3) with bishop Dr Reinhard Marx at the monument of Balduin of Luxembourg
4) mayor Schröer and wife welcoming the high guests
5) greetings of enthusiastic curious in front of the Dome of the Virgin Mary

gaggleofcrazypeople 06-08-2005 06:07 PM

Why were they given that statue?

drimal 06-09-2005 05:15 AM

6 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Why were they given that statue?

That's a good question!;)

I have found nowhere an explanation why Grand Duke Henri handed this statue over to the mayor of Trier.;) This statue was created in 1927 by the famous sculptor Auguste Trémont (1892-1980) and was exhibited in the National Museum of History and Art in Luxembourg. I guess Grand Duke Henri gave the statue simply in an act of friendship.:)

The Grand Ducal couple visited the monument of Balduin of Luxembourg (laying down flowers ), the Roman palace atrium, after that the room where the Holy Dress is kept, then the medieval exhibition of illumination codex egberti in the city library (pieces from the heritage of archbishop Egbert who consecrated the first chapel in Luxembourg in 987) and at the end the imperial abbey Saint Maximin, who was built in 963 in an act of exchange with Earl Siegfried on the birthplace of Luxembourg city (in this act for the first time in history, the name Lucilinburhuc appeared meaning "little castle" from this notion the name Luxembourg was derived).

Below other pictures from the visit I found on a German and a Luxembourgish website and a photo of the statue:

hillary_nugent 06-09-2005 12:32 PM

thanks for the update drimal...hm...i really don't like those pants she wore...they make her look stumpy...hm...

pasiphaé 06-09-2005 10:16 PM

10 Attachment(s)
Pictures I just found out:D

pasiphaé 06-09-2005 10:18 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Two pics of Maria Teresa:rolleyes:

BeccaLynn07 06-10-2005 12:08 AM

https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...hmentid=157450 Aww, Alexandra and Sebastien look so much younger than in most other pictures I've seen!

gaggleofcrazypeople 06-10-2005 11:03 PM

Are fooseball tables big in Luxembourg? Because this is the second time I've seen these royals with one.

pasiphaé 06-12-2005 02:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
An old holiday pic:cool:

Amina 06-18-2005 09:30 AM

3 Attachment(s)
From 2000-2001

gaggleofcrazypeople 06-18-2005 10:16 PM

Sebastien looks so much like a typical mobster in that third pic!