The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royal Jewels (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Bernadotte Family Jewels (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f20/bernadotte-family-jewels-515.html)

Josefine 07-09-2003 03:50 PM

Bernadotte Family Jewels

10 Attachment(s)
help me out and identify these jewllery
do you regonnice any of the jewllwery these ladies wears

Josefine 02-16-2005 03:10 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Queen Desideria

Josefine 02-16-2005 03:23 AM

7 Attachment(s)
queen Josefina

Josefine 02-16-2005 06:17 PM

3 Attachment(s)
queen Lovisa

cute_girl 02-24-2005 11:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I think in post number 5,the 4th picture is queen Josefina and not queen Desiree,just look at this picture

Josefine 02-24-2005 12:08 PM

maybe let me look into it i have scanned the photos from a book about swedish queens they may have come in the wrong order

and if anyone can help out with the differemnt jewllery please help out

Josefine 02-27-2005 06:25 PM

cute girl you are right Q D is in the photo but to the left of Queen Joefina thank you for telling me

Josefine 03-02-2005 06:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
can someone help me to identify some of the tiaras at princess christinas wedding

betina 12-02-2005 11:18 AM

It looks like queen Ingrid have the ruby set on, who is a part of the danish crown jewels.
Last time we have seen it was on Mary

Daneborn 01-06-2006 07:35 PM

I believe it was Queen Ingrid's favorite jewelry and that she brought it with her from Sweden to Denmark. As far as I know it doesn't belong to the crown.

I think Mary wears it so much 1) because it's the only set she has or 2) because it means a lot to Frederik that his wife wears his late grand mother's favorite jewelry.

Oh, what an exiting thread this is. Seeing all these old queens with jewelry that Queen Silvia and the princesses wear today.

soCal girl 01-06-2006 08:30 PM

This is a really cool thread Josefine! Seeing past Swedish ladies wearing the Baden Fringe tiara (below) just like Victoria. I like the fact that these jewels have passed down from generation to generation. Just makes it more exciting!
https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...1&d=1108049412

https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...5&d=1108542183
(^Is this the Cameo Tiara?) If it is, I hope we'll have future pictures of Victoria and Madeleine wearing it on their wedding day!

gogm 01-07-2006 02:15 PM

Color Images

I posted color images of some of these pics of Queens Desideria, Josefine, and Lovisa at:
https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...s-past-67.html

Lady Marmalade 01-07-2006 02:54 PM

Yes, that is the Cameo Tiara....Queen Silvia wore on her wedding day.

Boris 01-07-2006 03:34 PM

A great thread indeed Josefine, thank you so much for putting so much work into it!
As far as the identification jewels is concerned, here's all I can come up with:
Your Post No. 2:
Pic # 2 shows the Baden Fringe tiara and the choker which is mostly worn by Pr. Madeleine these days.
Pics # 5 & 6: The Braganca tiara.
Your Post No. 3:
Princess Ingrid before she became Queen of Denmark, wearing the full cameo parure.
Your Post No. 4:
Pic # 1 I believe shows the diamond tiara that is worn by Queen Sonja of Norway these days,
Pic # 4 is definitely the cameo tiaa, which raises a muc-discussed question again: Did it become part of the Bernadotte collection through the Leuchtenberg inheritance, like the sapphire parure, or was it there before? I always thought that it in fact belonged to the first Bernadotte Queen, Desideria, which would make it the oldest, most historical tiara in the Royal Swedish House.
Your Post No. 5:
I believe that Pic # 3 shows the Leuchtenberg sapphire tiara in its original setting with upstanding pearl spikes.
Pic # 5 is most intriguing: What a charming tiara and full parure of beautiful coloured stones that 've never seen before! You might post this on the Royal Jewels MB for our real experts to start a hunt of identifying this set!
Your Post No. 6:
Pic # 3: The pearl & diamond brooch shown here has been worn by all of today's Royal Swedish ladies.
Post No. 10:
Princess Lilian is wearing her Laurel Leaf tiara which is quite interesting as she was not married to Prince Bertil yet at this time & therefore not even a 'real' member of the RF!
Again, thanks so much for your efforts Josefine. Much appreciated.

Daneborn 01-07-2006 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boris
Pic # 4 is definitely the cameo tiaa, which raises a muc-discussed question again: Did it become part of the Bernadotte collection through the Leuchtenberg inheritance, like the sapphire parure, or was it there before? I always thought that it in fact belonged to the first Bernadotte Queen, Desideria, which would make it the oldest, most historical tiara in the Royal Swedish House.

Oh my God, all this scrolling up and down. Phew !! :D So cool you know so much about the queen's tiaras !!

Pic 4 in the Desideria post I think (as cute_girl mentioned) it's actually Josefina. She's entertaining the two children just like on the bigger family painting like in post 7.

I found this text about the Cameo set:
https://royal-jewels4.tripod.com/bernadotte/cameo.html
(I have absolutely no idea who the third photo below the text is, down, to the left)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boris
Pic # 5 is most intriguing: What a charming tiara and full parure of beautiful coloured stones that 've never seen before! You might post this on the Royal Jewels MB for our real experts to start a hunt of identifying this set!

https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...9&d=1108596073
You mean this picture ??

Boris 01-07-2006 04:44 PM

Sorry, regarding the unidentified parure of colored stones I was really referring to Pic # 6 in Josefine's Post No. 5:
https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...9&d=1108596073

Sorry too for the lots of scrolling up & down indeed which is bound to make one confuse things from time to time! But Josefine provided such great pics from the past that it should be worth it.
I have no idea either who the 'third lady' is on
https://royal-jewels4.tripod.com/bernadotte/cameo.html

I'm also puzzled by the comment there that it's not quite sure whether the cameo parure is part of the Bernadotte Foundation. I always took it for granted that it was...

Sean.~ 01-08-2006 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josefine
can someone help me to identify some of the tiaras at princess christinas wedding

Connaught Laurel Wreath tiara worn by the bride, Desideria ruby parure by Queen Ingrid, Desideria diamond tiara by Queen Sonja, Laurel wreath tiara by Lillian, Queen Louise's tiara by Princess Desiree, Four button tiara by Princess Brigitta, Swedish Aquamarine tiara by Princess Margaretha of Sweden, Wurrtember pearl tiara by Beatrix. There are full colour pictures in the Royal Families of the World by Reginal Davies (1979).

Sean.~ 01-08-2006 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daneborn
I believe it was Queen Ingrid's favorite jewelry and that she brought it with her from Sweden to Denmark. As far as I know it doesn't belong to the crown.

I think Mary wears it so much 1) because it's the only set she has or 2) because it means a lot to Frederik that his wife wears his late grand mother's favorite jewelry.

Oh, what an exiting thread this is. Seeing all these old queens with jewelry that Queen Silvia and the princesses wear today.

The tiara was actually brought to Denmark by Louise "Swan" of Sweden, who was the grandmother of Queen Ingrid's husband. The set is not a part of the crown jewels & is actually owned by Crown Prince Frederick. It was left to him by his grandmother.

Daneborn 01-08-2006 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean.~
The tiara was actually brought to Denmark by Louise "Swan" of Sweden, who was the grandmother of Queen Ingrid's husband. The set is not a part of the crown jewels & is actually owned by Crown Prince Frederick. It was left to him by his grandmother.

I found this site on the internet, which contains beautiful pictures of many Norwegian and Danish jewels.

https://www.gemmologi.net/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=14

So interesting that the ruby parure goes all the way back to Queen Desideria and that it 1) wasn't made part of the Bernadotte foundation 2) was brought to Denmark by crown princess Louise and 3) wasn't really seen before Queen Ingrid had it changed and started using it.

I mean, none of the many pictures with Desideria and Josefina show the ruby parure.

If the ruby parure belongs to Frederik it's a delicate question what would happen if Frederik and Mary, like Joachim and Alexandra, were divorced ?? I wonder if Mary or Alexandra own any of the jewels that make them look like princesses in our eyes ? (Alexandra is often seen with one certain tiara I believe is from Queen Alexandrine. I wonder if she owns it or just is allowed to use it as long as she lives.)

I think they should put all the jewelry in a family foundation like the Swedish so it can't suddenly end up in just anybody's possesion if a divorced princess runs out of cash and puts it in an auction.

Sean.~ 01-09-2006 03:01 AM

Desideria wore it to Napoleon's coronation. And, AFAIRC, it was seen before Ingrid had it changed and started using it, there are pictures somewhere. Thanks for the link.

Josefine 01-25-2006 01:08 PM

who were the first to wear tiaras and diadems in the swedish royal family

HRH Mims 10-22-2006 03:50 AM

Swedish royal jewels in past

I found on Profimedia this picture:
https://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n...envictoria.jpg
It's queen Victoria with Leuchtenberg sapphire parure.
So I thought it would be interesting to see some Sweden's historic jewels ;) :lol:

auntie 10-22-2006 04:53 AM

Remamber that the 2 main Parures belonging to Norway, were once in Swedish possesion, given to CP Martha on her marriage to the CP of Norway! Also the ruby and Diamond parure, once belonging to Queen Ingrid, now being worn by CP Mary was once of Swedish possesion.

Stefan 10-22-2006 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by auntie
Remamber that the 2 main Parures belonging to Norway, were once in Swedish possesion, given to CP Martha on her marriage to the CP of Norway! Also the ruby and Diamond parure, once belonging to Queen Ingrid, now being worn by CP Mary was once of Swedish possesion.

The emerald parure was given to Crown princess Märtha when she gave birth to her son Harald in 1937. And Queens Desiree's Dioamond Tiara was inherited by Queen Lovisa of Denmark after the death of her grandmother in and later by her daughter unmarried daughter Thyra who left it to Crown Princess Märtha.

The diamond and ruby Parure now in the danish Royal Family stayd only in the Swedish Royal Family for 2 generations. Queen Desideria brought it with her to Sweden and left it to her daughter-in-law Joséphine who left it to her only granddaughter Lovisa.

auntie 10-22-2006 06:30 PM

Thanks for the info Stefan, what tiaras did the CP wear when she was first married to the Crown Prince? Did she bring with any other jewels?

Stefan 10-23-2006 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by auntie
Thanks for the info Stefan, what tiaras did the CP wear when she was first married to the Crown Prince? Did she bring with any other jewels?

Don't know which she wore in the early years but she was given the Vasa Diamond Tiara now worn by Princess Astrid as a wedding Gift from the City of Stockholm so probably she wore this one.

Hanna Regina 12-03-2007 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boris (Post 356827)
I'm also puzzled by the comment there that it's not quite sure whether the cameo parure is part of the Bernadotte Foundation. I always took it for granted that it was...

A bit of a late answer, but still, here it is.
Queen Josefina left the entire cameo parure to her daughter, princess Eugenie. She never married and left it to her nephew, the equally artistic Prince Eugen, the youngest son of King Oskar II and Queen Sofia. He was also unmarried and, of course, had no need for a tiara. I think he lent it to ladies in the family, at least CP Margareta and the then Princess Ingrid has worn it. When Prince Gustav Adolf married Princess Sibylla of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, Prince Eugen gave the cameo parure to the bride as a wedding gift. She later left it to her son, the current King Carl Gustaf, and the question now is wether the King has added it to the foundation or if it's his private property. The same goes for the Connaught tiara, which he also inherited from his mother.

Princess Eugenie did a lot of charity work and founded a hospital called Eugenia-hemmet. To finance the hospital, she sold a lot of jewellery she had inherited from her mother and grandmother, thankfully she kept the cameo parure.

Marengo 05-03-2008 02:42 PM

Here a picture of Karin, the first wife of Prince Lennart Bernadotte. Does anybody know anything about the tiara she is wearing?

https://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d.../pes_53363.jpg

--

I suppose GD Maria Pavlovna sold all her jewels, so Lennart didn' t inherit anything from his mother?

Hanna Regina 05-03-2008 03:15 PM

I'm also curious about this tiara, I've read parts of a book by Lennart Bernadotte and I found no mentioning of tiaras, although he talked about Karin and his mother and losing his title &c..

This image from IBL shows Count Lennart with Countess Karin and their daughter Cia. I don't know when it was taken, but here both ladies are wearing small tiaras, though not the one posted above. Are/were these owned by the Count and his family or can they have been loans? The one Countess Karin is wearing looks a lot like Crown Princess Victoria's first tiara, but maybe that one is smaller then this.

Picture of the two tiaras

Anna-Amalia 12-17-2008 07:55 AM

I´m a new member and saw this thread just recently. Very interesting!:flowers:

I would like to know more about five tiaras worn by Swedish Royal Ladies today, and hope it's OK to write them in this thread. Sorry I haven't sent any pictures, but my tecknical skills are ...:eek: And I have to learn more about the copy-right rules as well.

Here's my questions anyway.

1) When Crown Princess Margareta died in 1920, her five children inherited her jewellery, and they all seems to have got at last one tiara each. (Prince Gustav Adolf - the Connaught Tiara, Prince Sigvard - the Ruby tiara from Edward VII, Princess Ingrid - the Cartier Tiara, Prince Bertil - the Laurel Leaf tiara.) Did Prince Carl-Johan (now Count Bernadotte) inherit a tiara as well? His forst wife Countess Kerstin Bernadotte writes in her memoirs that she wore a beautiful Sapphire tiara, once owned by her husbands mother. I have seen photos of Countess Gunnilla Bernadotte with a tiara, but never read any information or seen any close-ups. I would be very happy for information!

2) Princess Margareta (born 1934) and her daughter sometimes wear a "aquamarine tiara" (for example at Princess Christina's wedding 1974). Could anyone tell me more about this tiara?

3) Princess Birgitta (or her daughter) sometimes wear a tiara with circles of pearls. Does anyone know more about this tiara?

4) Princess Desirée often wears a tiara shaped as a triangel, quite Art Deco IMO. I have seen pictures of Queen Louise wearing the same tiara.
More information ver appreciated!

5) Princess Christina often wears a simple but very elegant tiara with "low spikes", for example at Nobel 2008. I would be happy for more information about this tiara too.

Boris 12-17-2008 09:30 AM

1): That’s an interesting question, I would have to look that one up because it’s ringing a bell... But I don't want to mix up facts so I will verify it first.

2): The large aquamarine tiara is not only a beautiful but also an important piece. It used to belong to Crown Princess Margaret and was given as a wedding gift to Princess Sibylla from her husband. In the Kokoshnik style, it features five large aquamarines with diamond flower motifs in-between.
It was given to Princess Margareta, the King’s sister, upon her marriage, and she loaned it in 1998 to her daughter Sibylla to wear it at her wedding. Ever since, the tiara has disappeared, and it was probably sold when Princess Margareta’s late husband Mr. Ambler ran into financial trouble.
There are rumours though that this beautiful tiara might be seen again in the future... Still rumors, so I can’t elaborate on that.

3): This tiara of diamond circles with a pearl in the center of each circle belongs to Princess Birgitta, who received it as a wedding present from King Gustaf Adolf and Queen Louise. Princess Birgitta lent it to her daughter Princess Désirée for her wedding as well as to Princess Maria when she married Birgitta’s son Hubertus in 2000.

4): The first owner of the diamond tiara belonging to the King’s sister Princess Désirée was by Queen Louise, and it was given to Désirée as a wedding gift.

5): Princess Christina’s own diamond fringe tiara once belonged to Queen Sofia. It left the main branch of the family and was inherited by Queen Sofia’s granddaughter Elsa Cedergren.
She became Princess Christina's godmother and in turn gave the tiara with its Royal provenance back to the main Bernadotte branch by giving it as a gift to her.

Josefine 12-17-2008 10:00 AM

In the photo posted by Anna-Amilia it look like princess christinas tiara

I was wondering about Mariannes Bernadotte tiara and necklace

This is from ibl
https://www.iblbildarkiv.net/FotoWeb/...9E3439FBBF4699

Anna-Amalia 12-17-2008 12:48 PM

Thank you, Boris, for all the interesting facts about the tiaras! Now I have another question... Princesses Margareta, Birgitta and Desirée got a tiara each as a gift when they married. Did Princess Christina also got a tiara as a wedding-gift? Or is the Elsa-tiara her only private tiara? I know her mother Princess Sibylla died in 1972, so she couldn´t give her youngest daughter any present, but maybe Princess Christina's brother did?

Princess Christina quite often wears tiara's that belongs to the Bernadotte-foundations or her brother, like the Cut-Steel-tiara, the Connaught tiara and the button-tiaras. Does the king's other sisters have the same possibilities to lend tiaras (and other jewellery, of course)?

I don't recognize Marianne Bernadotte's tiara at Josefine's picture, but I hope someone else will. :angel:

Boris 12-17-2008 01:29 PM

Regarding Princess Christina, Queen Sofia's diamond fringe or 'Elsa' tiara is the only one she owns personally. It was just recently set in a new, higher frame, which is not really an improvement, IMO; that's how the wore it for the Nobel Awards ceremony.

Marianne Bernadotte's tiara is hardly visible in that pic so it's difficult to tell, but it's most probably her own diamond tiara, which was bought for her by her husband and has no former Royal provenance, if I remember correctly.

The King's sisters continue to have access to the Bernadotte Foundation jewelry 'pool', as far as those pieces are concerned which are not exclusively worn by the Queen. For their brother the King's 60th birthday gala in 2006 for example, Princess Birgitta wore the six 'button' tiara, and Princess Margaretha the amethyst tiara created by Queen Silvia from the parure's large necklace.

Anna-Amalia 12-17-2008 02:15 PM

Thanks again, Boris! It´s nice that the king´s sisters wears the jewellery too, and the Bernadotte family do have so much beautiful jewellery to chose from.

I'll take a closer look at Princess Christina's tiara. I always thought it was so elegant and nice and suited her perfectly. Not all changes are for the better, though.

And one more question - Princess Birgitta's pearl-tiara. Does it have a family background, like her sister's tiaras?

Boris 12-17-2008 03:47 PM

The base of Princess Christina's tiara was changed very recently, just before this year's Nobel ceremony I believe. I always liked the delicate piece as well, but now it sits high on something like a comb for a base, at a strange angle tilted backwards and with the sides disappearing... pretty good view from the banquet last week here:

IBL Bildbyrå | 0435 44 07 65

I think it's a pity, as I don't see what was wrong with it before.
The Bernadottes have found quite a perfect way to distribute their jewelry IMO, with a few pieces meant to be worn exclusively by certain ladies only, and the others forming a shared 'pool' - a good compromise.
I dislike the habit of 'everyone-can-wear-anything' (like in the Dutch RF) just as much as rigid rules of never sharing jewels (like in the Belgian RF).
I'll have to check up on the circle tiara as well to see if I find the specific provenance mentioned - but I seem to remember that the tiara is also a historic Royal one.

Josefine 12-18-2008 08:16 AM

The necklace Princess wears with different stones, i think it has blonged to Crown Princess margreth before.
Is there a photo of anyone else then Lilian wearing it?

Boris 12-18-2008 08:19 AM

But which necklace of Princess Lilian do you mean, Josefine?

Josefine 12-18-2008 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boris (Post 869029)
But which necklace of Princess Lilian do you mean, Josefine?

The one with different stones in a long row
from ibl
https://www.iblbildarkiv.net/FotoWeb/...025AB56B22F9C1

Stefan 12-18-2008 10:10 AM

About the diamond and pearl tiara from Princess Birgitta i think i read sometime ago on the Royal jewels MB that she given it a a gift to her daugther Désirèe who also wore it on the 60th birthday celebrations of King Carl SVI. Gustaf in 2006. Not sure but i think i have seen a photo of Désirèe on that occasion.

Boris 12-18-2008 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josefine (Post 869042)
The one with different stones in a long row
from ibl
https://www.iblbildarkiv.net/FotoWeb/...025AB56B22F9C1

Yes, this necklace, exclusively worn by Princess Lilian today, was given to Crown Princess Margaret as a wedding gift by her parents-in-law, but I’ve never seen a photo of her wearing it.
Here’s a link to Ursula’s site with a whole page about this necklace:
https://www.royal-magazin.de/sweden/crownprincess-margaretas-necklace.htm

Thank you Stefan for the additional information on Princess Birgitta's tiara! I just checked IBL, but couldn't find pic of Birgitta’s daughter Désirée at the King’s 60th birthday...
Would you know to whom the diamond and pearl circle tiara originally belonged?

Anna-Amalia 12-18-2008 10:53 AM

By coinscidence I found some facts about Princess Birgitta's pearltiara at royal-magazine.de. The website is:
Princess Birgitta of Sweden Pearl and Diamond Tiara |Perlen Diadem - Hochzeitsgeschenk an Prinzessin Birgitta

They say on this site that the tiara was ordered from a Swedish jeweller Carlman when the princess got married. The tiara was a gift from King Gustav VI Adolf. This tiara now belongs to her daughter Desirée, but there is no information about when she got it.

Birgitta seems to have been the first owner of this tiara. I think it´s quite beautiful. It is perfect as a bridal riara, but looks also very elegant with eveningdresses of every colour.

BTW; there seems to be many lovely pictures at royal-magazin.de, a new webbsite for me.:wub::wub:

Stefan 12-18-2008 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boris (Post 869101)
Yes, this necklace, exclusively worn by Princess Lilian today, was given to Crown Princess Margaret as a wedding gift by her parents-in-law, but I’ve never seen a photo of her wearing it.
Here’s a link to Ursula’s site with a whole page about this necklace:
https://www.royal-magazin.de/sweden/crownprincess-margaretas-necklace.htm

Thank you Stefan for the additional information on Princess Birgitta's tiara! I just checked IBL, but couldn't find pic of Birgitta’s daughter Désirée at the King’s 60th birthday...
Would you know to whom the diamond and pearl circle tiara originally belonged?

Have found the picture in my Archiv:
https://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...undHalbach.jpg

and another of Bettina Bernadiotte wearing a small tiara her mother also wore for a offical family Photo in the 80's
https://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...Bernadotte.jpg

As for the diamond and pearl tiara i thin it was made for Birgitta.

Boris 12-18-2008 11:34 AM

Thank you very much, Stefan!
So the circle tiara was probably made for Princess Birgitta... its base, not the best of constructions, also looks a lot like the bases of the 'button' tiaras which were created around the same time, so it makes a lot of sense.
But I think it's also probable that the new tiara was created from existing historic jewelry... I really wish I could remember where I once read it, but I think someone said that the tiara was made using a necklace.
Regarding Royal-magazin.de:
It's a wonderful site but difficult to navigate. There's a whole wealth of information and pictures on historic jewels, but one has be very careful to search throroughly under several tags, otherwise a lot of stuff can be missed. Most jewelry is listed under their very first owner - historically correct but due to this, pieces of jewelry we know on current Royals are named differently, after previous owners, or even appear under different Royal Houses.

Josefine 12-19-2008 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anna-Amalia (Post 869114)
By coinscidence I found some facts about Princess Birgitta's pearltiara at royal-magazine.de. The website is:
Princess Birgitta of Sweden Pearl and Diamond Tiara |Perlen Diadem - Hochzeitsgeschenk an Prinzessin Birgitta

Thank you so much for that link
i have visted the site but have not seen those photos

Boris 12-19-2008 10:46 AM

Photo of King Carl Gustaf’s mother Princess Sibylla from 1933 in court dress:
She's wearing Crown Princess Margaret’s aquamarine and diamond kokoshnik tiara which went to her daughter Princess Margaretha;
and the cabochon sapphire set that was given to Princess Birgitta:

https://www.iblbildarkiv.net/fotoweb/Preview.fwx?position=4&archiveType=ImageFolder&sorting=ModifiedTimeAsc&search=prinsessan%20and%20sibylla&fileId=B12BF45F323ED927B8CCCE97EFCDD0C337D6131A0A249DADC1A86915BCB98CFB94C28C4E3465AEBC576711703F05EEB6AB2F16E4DAC93D8F705AE15215EAD770DCFB94399AA83B62AFB60658437EA99CFB797689F5A4ACA756EF376F49822A2FDE95E60A021E62C8A2378FCCEF517AA970E317C5D9AA2A9A84DB6635DCD0B3C1CE698EF877818C8E61E0C34F67BC3333&archiveid=5018

Josefine 12-19-2008 01:42 PM

here we got Bettina with a tiara,
is there a better photo of it anywhere

ibl
https://www.iblbildarkiv.net/FotoWeb/...9E3439FBBF4699

Boris 12-20-2008 05:10 AM

Thank you for the picture of Countess Bettina Bernadotte from the King's 60th birthday gala, Josefine.
I don't have information about the tiara, but I find the very large pendant on her necklace even more intriguing.
It looks like a 18th century miniature, definitely with a painted portrait of a male Royal, set in a diamond frame...
Here’s a better view, of the late Countess Sonja wearing it for the 2001 Nobel award ceremony:

https://www.iblbildarkiv.net/fotoweb/...archiveid=5018

Does anyone know more about this?

Josefine 01-11-2009 11:23 AM

What tiaras has been used for weddings before silvia and the kings sisters?

1976 Silvia Cameo Tiara
1974 Christinas Connugh tiara

Boris 01-11-2009 11:39 AM

Apart from Princess Christina, all the King’s sisters wore the cameo tiara.
Neither Princess Sibylla, nor Louise Mountbatten, nor Margaret of Connaught wore tiaras for their weddings.
The tradition of brides wearing tiaras for a royal wedding didn't really start before the end of World War II.

Josefine 01-11-2009 02:14 PM

Okay so the kings sisters was the first in the royal family to wear tiaras at their wedding day. I did not know that.

The baden fringe tiara was however worn as a necklace in the wedding photo of then princess victoria....for those that did not know that and are new to the jewllery boxes of the swedish royal family.

Josefine 01-13-2009 11:31 AM

Princess sibylla pearl necklace

a other necklace
https://www.iblbildarkiv.net/FotoWeb/...5F095038EE545C

two row necklace

Margareta 01-13-2009 11:58 AM

The second necklace is the Diamond necklace with emeralds that originally was a belt. Queen Silvia wore it for example at the Nobel gala in 1987.

Soli Deo Gloria 01-13-2009 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boris (Post 878361)
Apart from Princess Christina, all the King’s sisters wore the cameo tiara.
Neither Princess Sibylla, nor Louise Mountbatten, nor Margaret of Connaught wore tiaras for their weddings.
The tradition of brides wearing tiaras for a royal wedding didn't really start before the end of World War II.

Margaretha did not wear the cameo tiara. She wore the bridal crown from the church she was getting married in...

Josefine 01-19-2009 11:34 AM

is there any jewllery worn by the royals that are designed by a swede.

here is a link with a few bernadotte jewllery
maybe something new can be found
DINASTÍAS | Los Foros de la Realeza
from ibl

a photo pf princess margaretha
how look is there any jewllery you have know of
i am thinkning pearl necklace and brousch formust

https://www.iblbildarkiv.net/FotoWeb/...D2C50F0873DBCE

princess birgitta

iakynthi 02-27-2009 09:20 AM

The pearl necklace is beautiful!This brooch is the one Victoria wore on her engagement day,right?Does Victoria own it right now?

lilnana 04-11-2009 05:07 PM

I found this photo of the 6 button, but there are 2 on the bottom that aren't apart of the 10 button/rosettes. Does anyone know anything about them? Or know why the rows of diamonds were removed? They only reason I can think of for removing them is that they are/were also used as the diamond necklaces, rather then the necklaces and the tiara having their own diamonds. It's not out of the question for them to be removable and reusable, Victoria and Madeleine often were the drops from the Connaught tiara.

https://img408.imageshack.us/img408/3...ntiara1.th.jpg

Josefine 04-28-2009 03:49 PM

Princess sibylla
https://www.thepeerage.com/101247_001.jpg
from joberg.blogg.se

Boris 04-29-2009 11:11 AM

That's a nice pic of Crown Princess Margaret's diamond and aquamarine tiara, inherited by the King's sister Princess Margareta.

Boris 04-29-2009 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilnana (Post 920672)
I found this photo of the 6 button, but there are 2 on the bottom that aren't apart of the 10 button/rosettes. Does anyone know anything about them? Or know why the rows of diamonds were removed? They only reason I can think of for removing them is that they are/were also used as the diamond necklaces, rather then the necklaces and the tiara having their own diamonds. It's not out of the question for them to be removable and reusable, Victoria and Madeleine often were the drops from the Connaught tiara.

https://img408.imageshack.us/img408/3...ntiara1.th.jpg

lilnana, this picture is rather old and most probably shows the six rosettes tiara 'in the making'.
The two diamond rows which are 'missing' at the tiara's bottom here were not removed, but added later. The tiara was originally made for Princess Lilian, who first wore it at the 1985 Nobel Award ceremony. The rosettes themselves are of course much older, from the early 19th century, but this setting is actually contemporary.
The two rosettes in the front - both of different design - are 'spare' ones. The one to the left has been worn as a brooch by Queen Silvia and as necklace pendant on a diamond rivière by both Princess Lilian and Princess Madeleine.

Josefine 09-10-2009 01:38 PM

okay I am trying to set up a webpage about the Swedish royal jewellery, I am not sure that I will make it but I will try
this is the text on the Leuchtenberg Sapphire Parure

This parure was a wedding gift from Napoleon Bonaparte, (the French emperor) to Eugene Beauhmais who were Napoleons adopted son. Eugene married Princess Augusta Amalia of Bavaria.
The name of the parure come from that the married couple was called Duke and Duchess of Leuchtenberg.
Duke and Duchess of Leuchtenberg gave the parure as a wedding gift to their daughter Josephine when she married future King Oscar I of Sweden in 1823.
From that the time Josfina was given the tiara, only Queens has worn it.
This is a neo-classical diamond and sapphire parure. If you count the square-cut sapphire and diamond clusters there are nine of them and they are
set on a base of honeysuckles and leaves. It seems that from the start one could change the sapphires with nine pear pearls.
The parure consists of a tiara, pendant earrings, a necklace, a brooch
and a pair of hair sticks.

Princess Augusta of Bavaria. as a wedding gift January 1806
Queen Josefina of Sweden, neé Leuchtenberg a wedding gift
May 1823
Queen Lovisa of Sweden, neé Princess of the Netherlands
Queen Sofia of Sweden, neé Princess of Nassau
Queen Victoria of Sweden, neé Princess of Baden
Queen Louise of Sweden, neé Princess of Battenberg
Queen Silvia of Sweden, neé Sommerlath started to wear the set as she became Queen after her marriage June 1976

Tilia C. 09-11-2009 05:06 AM

:previous:That is a great idea! I know that setting up a webpage is a lot of work, but I am sure it will be greatly appreciated by the royal jewellery junkies (including me)! :flowers::flowers:

Boris 09-11-2009 05:55 AM

I wish you good luck in setting up the website, Josefine!
A tip: Google translate has become rather good in translating Swedish to English, maybe you would like to give it a try when putting the text for your website together?
And: Not only Queen Consorts have worn the Leuchtenberg sapphire parure, but also the later Queen Louise when she was still Crown Princess, Princess Sibylla and Princess Birgitta (once, at the pre-wedding gala of King Carl Gustaf and Silvia Sommerlath).

Rascal 12-14-2009 02:33 PM

Aquamarine HELP!!!!!!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boris (Post 868531)
1): The large aquamarine tiara is not only a beautiful but also an important piece. It used to belong to Crown Princess Margaret and was given as a wedding gift to Princess Sibylla from her husband. In the Kokoshnik style, it features five large aquamarines with diamond flower motifs in-between.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boris (Post 868531)
It was given to Princess Margareta, the King’s sister, upon her marriage, and she loaned it in 1998 to her daughter Sibylla to wear it at her wedding. Ever since, the tiara has disappeared, and it was probably sold when Princess Margareta’s late husband Mr. Ambler ran into financial trouble.
There are rumours though that this beautiful tiara might be seen again in the future... Still rumors, so I can’t elaborate on that.

Hi, Boris and anyone else who happens to follow royal jewelry. Like many of us, I've been going through my files and re-researching about the Swedish jewels after last week's Nobel ceremonies. How I got off on this aquamarine tangent I'll never know.

My confusion stems from the conflicting descriptions/history/names of the Swedish aquamarine tiaras. The kokoshnik you describe above has also been called Princess Sibylla's kokoshnik and described as having been brought with her to Sweden as if it was a gift from someone in her family. I know that she is pictured wearing it at an engagement dinner or pre-wedding dinner so this could be possible. Has there ever been a photograph or portrait of Crown Princess Margaret wearing it? I remember a sketch of jewelry she received for her wedding that included the ruby tiara and the Khedive of Egypt tiara-necklace but this tiara was not in the group of jewels in the sketch. Could it have been Sibylla's first?

My other question is in regards to the small diamond and aquamarine bandeau now worn by Princess Madeleine (some have referred to it as the cyclops tiara). I have never seen any posting referring to it other than having originally belonged to Crown Princess Margaret. Again, there are no photographs or portraits of CP Margaret wearing the piece. In addition. considering the rather poufy, bouffant hairstyles popular during the time and which we have seen in the depictions of CP Margaret, such a tiara wouldn't even be seen. My net surfing points to the Haga princesses as being the first ones to be photographed wearing it. Could it have been a gift for Princess Margaretha (now Mrs. Ambler) and everyone just assumed it was CP Margaret that owned it?

Thanks so much for any information or suggestions on where else to look.

Rascal

Rascal 12-14-2009 02:40 PM

Leuchtenberg Sapphire question

Hi, all. I just need confirmation that I'm not seeing things. On several different sites about royal jewelry, the tiara of the Leuchtenberg parure is described as having nine sapphire clusters around the top. But in pictures where it is in profile or wider, there seem to be five clusters on either side of the center sapphire, which would make the total number of sapphires across the top of the tiara eleven instead of nine. Am I imagining this or did the descriptions get it wrong?

I know that the necklace description is correct and it DOES have nine pendants around the collar which is where I am assuming the mistake originated.

Thanks for any response.

Rascal

Boris 12-14-2009 03:50 PM

Rascal, regarding your questions, here I go:

# 1, The large aquamarine 'kokoshnik' tiara:
It's true that it was made for the ill-fated Crown Princess Margaret.
She left it to her son Prince Gustaf Adolf, who gave it to his wife Princess Sibylla. Sibylla was indeed photographed wearing it at their pre-wedding ball, so I figure it must have been an engagement or wedding's eve gift.
Sibylla in turn gave the aquamarine tiara to her daughter Margaretha, the King's oldest sister - and its current whereabouts are not really known, as already mentioned before.

#2, The aquamarine bandeau:
The 'cyclops' bandeau (not nice, but not entirely off the mark either) belonged to Queen Louise, born Mountbatten. It's from the 1920s and was originally designed to be worn across the forehead, in the fashion of that period.

# 3, The Leuchtenberg sapphire tiara:
The tiara has indeed five sapphires surrounded by diamonds on each side of the centralone, so you're correct - the total number of sapphires in the tiara is eleven, not nine.

Rascal 12-14-2009 04:14 PM

Much Gratitude

Boris, thank you so very much for the quick response. It alleviates a great deal of frustration from running into dead ends.

I agree that the "cyclops" bandeau is not necessarily off the mark. And it has always seemed to me more in the style of 1920s, much like the diamond tiara that Princess Desiree received. It sounds like your information on it is the most likely.

Regarding the provenance of the smaller aquamarine bandeau, is there somewhere I can find the information or perhaps you could explain more about it (if you also have the information). Was it a wedding gift or did she have it prior to her engagement to the then CP Gustaf Adolf? Is it part of the Bernadotte foundation or is it now the personal property of Madeleine?

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU again for your help! :flowers:

Rascal

Boris 12-14-2009 04:39 PM

You're very welcome, Rascal!
I wish I knew when Louise Mountbatten received the ('cyclops'... ) bandeau or if she might even have owned it prior to her marriage, but I don't - maybe another poster can provide information.

It's also hard to tell if it was made part of the Bernadotte Foundation or not. Actually I don't think so, because it's supposed to have been an 18th birthday present to Princess Madeleine, which would make it her private property.
On the other hand, at least two of then-CP Carl Gustaf's sisters wore the bandeau in the late 1960s, which would point at it being part of the Foundation.
But then, the sister's grandfather could also have let them simply wear his personal property, before leaving it to the current King Carl Gustaf.

Rascal 12-14-2009 04:59 PM

Pest

Thanks again, Boris. I won't apologize for bothering you because...well, honestly, it meets my needs...LOL. But I do want to let you know that from first-hand experience, I can appreciate the effort it takes to find the information. For some things, however, it takes a village...or a global electronic forum. I'm sure that many other questions will come up in the future that you (OR ANY ONE ELSE OUT THERE) may answer or comment on, so if I do become an unbearable pest, send me a digital flea collar.:lol:

Rascal

Rascal 12-17-2009 09:36 AM

Boris/Josefine/Anyone HELP with Diamond Stomacher-Necklace

Well I'm not a cat but curiosity has been killing me in regards to the diamond stomacher-necklace worn by Queen Silvia at this year's nobel dinner on December 11.

Obviously we all know that Princess Lilian has worn this many times in the last 20-30 years. And from all the photographic and portrait evidence, it looks to have first been worn by Queen Josefina.

The portrait of Josefina is the one most often used in the discussion of the Leuchtenberg Sapphire Parure. In it, pearls instead of sapphires adorn the top of the tiara. It is possible that artistic license was taken with the stomacher, but it is featured so prominently on the bodice and the disctinction between the diamonds and pearls in the tiara is repeated in the stomacher, I am led to believe that the drops in the middle of the stomacher (I've never seen any drops on the necklace) are pearls.

In portraits and photographs of later Swedish queens, it appears that the drops were switched from pearls to diamonds. The presence of a central diamond pendant in the bottom part of the current necklace is what leads me to believe this was the case, in addition to the photographs which would indicate it is diamonds and not pearls in the 20th century.

Here is where I need the help, if you know or care to presume along with me. At both this year's Nobel Banquet and the following night's Nobel Dinner, Princess Madeleine wore a small pair of diamond earrings which both she and Victoria have used quite a bit in the last 10-15 years. In the later photographs of the diamond stomacher with the drops, the earrings worn this year look very similar in size and shape to the pendant drops in the stomacher. Are they or do you agree that they could be the same? The reuse and redesign of pieces in the Swedish collection (the button tiaras, the topaz parure, etc.) is what leads me to speculate and ask.

Also, in some posts I've seen about the necklace, someone (I don't recall who) said Queen Silvia wore the piece before. Can anyone confirm this? What event was it? Does anyone have a photo from the event showing Silvia wearing it?

Thanks for any opinions and responses.

Rascal

Boris 12-17-2009 10:05 AM

Rascal, you seem to be a great jewelry detective and you got it quite right.
These issues were discussed on the Royal Jewels of the world MB quite some time ago, and the following is correct:

The necklace worn by Queen Silvia at the Royal Palace Nobel dinner was indeed Queen Josefina’s stomacher once, and set with drop pearl pendants.
For future Queen Consorts, the pearl pendants were replaced by diamond pendants at one point.
In the early 1980s, the stomacher was converted into a necklace and the inner pendants removed in the process.
It is very likely (though hard to prove definitely) that the small diamond earrings you mention were made from the stomacher’s pendants. Queen Silvia was also frequently seen with these earrings before her daughters started wearing them.

Queen Silvia indeed wore the ‘new’ necklace at least once before Princess Lilian started wearing it, in 1985 at the big Swedish society wedding of Charlotte Palmstiernas with Anders Wallsfyra.
Afterwards, it was left to be worn exclusively by Princess Lilian - my take on it is that Queen Silvia might have found it a bit too heavy for herself as a young woman.
Now that Lilian does not attend official functions anymore, those jewels worn by her which are not her private property but part of the Bernadotte Family Foundations begin to get worn by other royal ladies – just like the tiaras she wore have bit by bit received a new, darker covering of the base, replacing the silver grey velvet bands which matched Princess Lilian’s hair.
An exception is the Laurel Leaf diamond tiara, which I don’t expect to see again until after her passing away, since it is her personal property.

Rascal 12-17-2009 10:15 AM

Awe!

Boris, you continue to amaze and impress me with not only your wealth of knowledge about the Swedish RF, jewels, etc. but also with your recall and quick responses. Now my holiday season has several levels of stress gone as you have answered my questions. To that end, I wish to exxpress my graitude again and to wish you a Happy Holiday Season!

Rascal

Soli Deo Gloria 01-16-2010 09:05 AM

I have a question about a tiara, worn by princess Desirée of Sweden. Cant find a close up, but it was a nice pic in Queen magazine 8/2009 (page 68) :smile:

And here is another, but no details are visible... Imageshack - 215782

Can someoone tell something about it? I find it very nice... :smile: Is this tiara from her husbands family (Silverschiöld)? Or is it a gift to her from someone in the royal family (like her grandfather, the late King). I found pictures with her wearing it in the 1960s too...

Soli Deo Gloria 01-17-2010 12:26 PM

Here are some old swedish queens with some jewellery (just small things....)

Hedvig Eleonora (1634-1715) https://www.avrosys.nu/prints/kungligheter/100384.jpg
https://historiska-personer.nu/min-s/p8e3856d00.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...1661-1675).jpg

Ulrika Eleonora (1688-1741) https://www.historiesajten.se/fotobig/121.jpg
https://www.avrosys.nu/prints/kungligheter/100386.jpg

Sofia Magdalena (1746-1813) https://www.historiesajten.se/fotobig/40.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...leneSweden.jpg

Margaretha Leionhufvud (1516-1551) https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ijonhufvud.jpg

Kristina http:https://www.royalcourt.se/images/18.1....+500+bred.jpg

Charlotta (1756-1818)https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...denNorwayR.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...edenNorway.jpg

And a princess: Cecilia Vasa (1540-1627)https://historiska-personer.nu/min-s/p7cc82c6e0.jpg

Rascal 02-25-2010 12:49 PM

Help w Vasa Earrings - Boris, Josefine, any1?

Hello, all. I am hoping any of you can help with info about the Vasa Earrings (?) - particularly Boris and Josefine as you have both been quite helpful in the past.

I know that Queen Silvia and Princess Lilian have worn these pieces on many different occasions. Princess Madeleine and Crown Princess Victoria have worn some open-loop drop earrings of diamonds that have been referred to as the Vasa Earrings without the central pendants.

Here are my questions:
1. Does a photo of just the earrings exist and if so can someone please post as there don't seem to be any closeups of the wearers with a clear picture of the earrings?
2. Are the open-loop earrings worn by Vic and Madde actually the Vasa Earrings or are they actually another pair of earrings?
3. Has anyone else worn them without the central pendant?
4. Has anyone besides Silvia and Lilian worn them in their complete setting (full loop with the central pendant element)?
5. If the central elements can be removed, it stands to reason that other pendant elements could be used in the loops, such as pearl pendants. Has anyone done so? They would look similar to the pearl pendant earrings sometimes seen in the British and Danish families.
6. What is the history of these earrings? If they are called "Vasa", wouldn't that make them possibly older than the button rosettes or at least 2nd to them?

Thanks for any and all help. My searches haven't produced very much.

Rascal

Boris 02-26-2010 10:53 AM

Lots of question about these very beautiful earrings – let’s see, here we go:

1. Actually, there is a beautiful close up of the earrings alone but I’m sorry, I can’t post it here due to copyright reasons. The motif of the pendants inside the loop frames is very intricate and ends in a large diamond suspended at the bottom, multi-faceted in a round-cut. Here’s at least a pic of Queen Silvia from the occasion when she last wore the complete Vasa earrings, during the state visit to Italy in March 2009:
https://picture.belga.be/belgapicture/picture/13133811.html

2. Yes, the empty frame/loop earrings are the Vasa earrings without the inside pendants.

3. No. And although the loops on their own have a somewhat nice, ‘modern’ feeling to it, IMO they still look, well… empty. The complete earrings are extremely heavy.

4. They were worn by other royal ladies in former generations – Queen Viktoria, Queen Louise, Princess Sibylla.

5. No, different pendants have not been used to hang in the loop frames.

6. The Vasa earrings go back to the Vasa dynasty indeed, as they originally belonged to Queen Lovisa Ulrika, daughter of Friedrich Wilhelm I of Prussia, Queen Consort of Sweden from 1751 – 1777. They left the main Swedish royal branch, but returned to the Bernadottes when they were given to the later Queen Viktoria as wedding present in 1881.
The earrings are certainly among the oldest jewels in the Bernadotte collection, the others being:
- The Vasa diamond, which is the pear-shaped pendant frequently worn by Queen Silvia suspended from one of her diamond revière necklaces (also in the pic above);
- The Braganca tiara, which wasn't made for Empress Amelie of Brazil but altered by her, and dates back to the late 18th century as well;
- And the ‘button’ diamond rosettes you mention.
Of course ten of them are set in two tiaras currently, but in the tiaras, three different designs are featured. Not all of the rosettes were originally buttons on a gala uniform of the first Bernadotte King, and it’s most likely that others are older, dating back again to Queen Lovisa Ulrika and thus the Vasa dynasty – see this link:
https://www.royal-magazin.de/sweden/queen-luisa-ulrika.htm

Rascal 02-26-2010 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boris (Post 1055090)

3. No. And although the loops on their own have a somewhat nice, ‘modern’ feeling to it, IMO they still look, well… empty. The complete earrings are extremely heavy.

Hi, Boris. Thanks for the response and the info. I quite agree with your statement above regarding the loops on their own. I had to ask if they were the same because without the central pendant, they appear, at least to me, like cheap costume jewelry with very poorly made fake stones. Amazing that removing the pendants change the appearance and impression of these so much!

Re: the central pendants. I don't know if you have one, but if you could please post a link to the site (if one exists) with the larger picture with the copyright issue. If not, perhaps you could provide another answer - is the central pendant in a form similar to the drops in the Connaught forget-me-not tiara that are sometimes used as necklace pendants? I know that the entire motif is bigger as well as the large diamond at the bottom but I can't clearly see the design of the top portion of the pendant. I just get the impression that is similar to the Connaught drops. Thanks for any response on this.

And please accept my gratitude again regarding your assistance and information. As you can tell, I have a fixation on the Swedish Royal Family. Your input is always a big help in feeding my fix!

Thanks again and have a great day!

Rascal

Rascal 02-26-2010 01:11 PM

The Vasa Diamond

Hi, again, Boris. Forgot to ask this b4.

The Vasa Diamond pendant you mentioned and attached the pic of Silvia wearing - do you know if it also left the main Swedish royal line or has it always remained in Sweden?

As this is called the Vasa Diamond, if it did leave I am assuming it returned with Viktoria of Baden, who most likely received it (along with the Vasa Earrings) from Carola, Queen Consort of Saxony, and princess of the Vasa dynasty, a cousin of Viktoria.

Rascal

Boris 02-26-2010 04:57 PM

Regarding your questions:

The central motif in the Vasa earrings doesn't really match the ones in the Connaught tiara - the ones in the earrings have a different design, are indeed more heavily set, and you can clearly see in the craftsmanship that they are almost 150 years older.
But the oval shape of the frames matches the loops of the Connaught tiara very nicely, and Queen Silvia has frequently combined the tiara with the earrings.

Concerning the Vasa diamond, as far as I know it always stayed with the main branch of the royal family.

The Vasa earrings indeed belonged to the daughter of the Prince of Vasa, Queen Consort Carola of Saxony, before she gave them to Princess Viktoria of Baden as a wedding gift upon her marriage to then-Prince Gustav, the later King Gustav V of Sweden.

Rascal 02-26-2010 05:44 PM

Thanks, Boris! Silvia's frequent use of these earrings with the Connaught is what prompted me curiosity about their design. Thanks for all the discussion. As you can tell, it usually sparks other questions for me.

Have a great evening!

Rascal

Soli Deo Gloria 08-17-2010 04:11 AM

Speaking about Queen Sophia of (Nassau) Sweden/Norway... this is a lovely picture of a young Sophia with lots of jewels (as they used to wear them at that time) and I was wondering about the tiara, because I cant recognise it...
Fil:SofiaSwedenNorway.jpg - Wikipedia

And in this picture of Queen Victoria:Fil:Queenvictorias.jpg - Wikipedia
it looks like she got "pearl drops" in a long pearl necklace. Can it be the same as the ones we can see at the painting of Queen Josefina? Fil:JosephineSwedenNorway.jpg - Wikipedia
(pictures from Svenska kungahusets smycken - Wikipedia)

Stefan 08-17-2010 04:45 AM

The tiara Queen Sofia wears is from the pink tormaline Parure which was given to Countess Ebba Bernadotte (see Boris post in the Queen Silvia Jerwelry thread). There where some pics. on the Royal jewels MB before the Royal Wedding.

As for Queen Sofia the pearl drops are on the Corsage brooch. Wonder where it is now. Could the lower part of it be the antique pearl tiara of Queen Anne-Marie. It was made of an old corsage brooch Queen Ingrid inherited.

Rascal 08-17-2010 05:50 PM

Who has worn what? - Update list 08-17-2010

This is a copy of a post from Queen Silvia's jewelry thread, part 2. I believe it belongs here but I am posting in both just in case. Perhaps the moderators can decide and shift them for me? :flowers:

Now that the Swedish wedding has come and gone...and with the discussions of late about the Swedish Royal Jewelry (I'll still be posting other questions), information about who has worn what items in the Swedish collection has changed and needs an update. I've tried to limit it to people with supporting photographic or portrait evidence of the pieces in question as some painters in the 18th and early 19th centuries used artistic license and some of the depictions are questionable. Here is what I can come up with - feel free to add or correct as needed:

Crown Princess Victoria's 18th Birthday Tiara:
Worn only (thank goodness!) by CP Victoria

Princess Birgitta's Diamond Bracelet Tiara (search her on Corbis):
Birgitta, Desiree, Christina

Baden Fringe or Sun-ray Tiara:
Q Victoria, Louise, Christina, Desiree, Margaretha, Lilian, Silvia, CP Victoria

Diamond Buttons later used for Tiaras:
Queen Sophia Dorothea of Prussia, her daughter Queen Lovisa Ulrika of Sweden, Lovisa's daughter-in-law Queen Hedwig Elisabeth Charlotte, King Oscar II of Sweden (King Karl XIV Johan aka Jean-Baptiste Bernadotte left out as no portrait exists of him wearing the buttons either on uniform or on crown)

4-Button Tiara:
Margaretha, Birgitta, Desiree, Christina, Lilian, CP Victoria, Madeleine

6-Button Tiara:
Lilian, Silvia, CP Victoria, Madeleine, Christina, Birgitta

Queen Victoria's Processional Necklace of Ceylon Sapphires, Pearls, & Diamonds:
Louise, Silvia, Lilian, Desiree, Christina, CP Victoria, Madeleine

The Vasa Diamond Earrings:
Louise, Sibylla, Silvia, Lilian, CP Victoria, Madeleine

The Bernadotte Emerald Demi-parure:
Sofia, Sibylla, Silvia, Lilian

Cut-Steel Tiara:
Silvia, Lilian, Christina, CP Victoria

Queen Josefina's Amethyst Demi-parure:
Louise, Margaretha, Christina, Silvia (w tiara), Desiree (w tiara), CP Victoria (w tiara), Margaretha (w tiara)

Queen Josefina's Diamond Stomacher-Necklace:
Josefina, Lovisa, Sofia, Q Victoria, Louise, Silvia, Lilian

CP Margaret's Aquamarine Tiara:
Margaret, Sibylla, Margaretha, Sibylla Ambler

Russian Pink Topaz Demi-parure:
Louise, Sibylla, Silvia, Desiree, Christina

The Bernadotte Rose Brooch:
Silvia, CP Victoria, Madeleine

Empress Josephine's Cameo Parure:
Queen Hortense, Queen Josefina, Sibylla, Ingrid, Birgitta, Desiree (one time in addition to her wedding - see if you can find it :smile:), Silvia, CP Victoria

Queen Josefina's Pearl, Ruby, & Diamond Spray Brooch:
Josefina, Silvia, CP Victoria

Leuchtenberg Parure:
Josefina, Q Victoria, Louise, Sibylla, Birgitta, Silvia

Queen Sofia's Tiara or the 9-Prong Tiara:
Sofia, Louise, Margaretha, Silvia, Lilian, Birgitta

The Braganca Diamond Tiara or the Brazilian Tiara:
Sofia, Q Victoria, Louise (also as Crown Princess), Silvia

Princess Sibylla's Tiara or the Connaught Forget-me-not Tiara:
CP Margaret, Sibylla, Christina, Silvia, Desiree, Lilian, Madeleine, CP Victoria (pendants as necklace only)

Edward VII Ruby Tiara:
Sonja Robbert (2nd wife of Sigvard), Marianne (last wife of Sigvard), Silvia

Queen Silvia's Diamond Fringe Necklace-Tiara:
Silvia, Madeleine, CP Victoria (as a necklace only)

Queen Sofia's Diamond & Pearl Fringe Tiara (now owned by Christina):
Christina

Queen Louise's Diamond Tiara (now owned by Desiree):
Louise, Margaretha, Birgitta, Desiree, Christina

Princess Birgitta's Diamond & Pearl Circle Tiara (now owned by Desiree of Hohenzollern)
Birgitta, Desiree of Hohenzollern, Ute of Hohenzollern

Crown Princess Margaret's Laurel Wreath Tiara:
CP Margaret, Lilian

Crown Princess Margaret's Scarab Necklace:
CP Margaret, Lilian

Queen Louise's Aquamarine Bandeau (now owned by Madeleine)
Desiree, Christina, Madeleine

Don't know if these have a name, so I am giving them a name and, for clarity describing the event as needed:

Mainau Cuff-Link Fringe Tiara:
Countess Sonja Bernadotte, Countess Bettina Bernadotte, Countess Sandra Bernadotte (worn for her wedding)

Mainau Diamond & Gemstone Swag-Fringe Tiara:
Countess Karin Bernadotte, Countess Bettina Bernadotte (worn for CP Victoria's wedding - it looks to be set with amethyst, citrine, and sapphire stones at the top of the spikes)

Countess Sandra Bernadotte's Bracelet-Tiara:
Countess Sandra Bernadotte (worn for her wedding reception and for CP Victoria's wedding)

*Countess Marianne Bernadotte's tiaras (at least two - one pearl and one diamond and yellow gold) are not included with this list because most reports are that they were brought into the marriage to Sigvard by her.

**Countess Madeleine Bernadotte's tiara worn for CP Victoria's wedding is not included in this list. It has been referred to as the von Rosen tiara, a possession of the family of Prince Carl's first wife, Elsa von Rosen, and borrowed by Madeleine for this event.

***There are some items missing from the list (The Bernadotte Diamond Earrings, some of the diamond brooches, bracelets, etc) because I am still researching them and/or they don't have a "name". Please feel free to add or if you have information you would like to share about these or any other pieces, I will be asking questions about specific pieces when I can.

For now, hope this list helps any others. Have a great day, happy hunting, and I hope we can all discover a great deal together.

Rascal

jonc93 08-17-2010 09:47 PM

Thanks Rascal for the list of who has worn what!

Is this Princess Birgitta's bracelet tiara?
Princess Birgitta Wearing a New Hairdo - Rights Managed - Corbis

Rascal 08-17-2010 10:40 PM

Very good, jonc93! This is the Corbis picture. If you read above our previous discussion of Silvia wearing the cut-steel tiara, the first time it was worn by her was during a visit to or from Austria. She is pictured with Princess Birgitta, who is much younger, still very tanned, but not looking as unfortunate as she does now. In the picture, Birgitta wears this tiara.

auntie 08-19-2010 02:52 AM

She looks lovely over here. She must have been the most lovely princess of Europe in her days.

jonc93 08-19-2010 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by auntie (Post 1125845)
She looks lovely over here. She must have been the most lovely princess of Europe in her days.

Yes she does look good especially considering how she looks now, a disaster. lol!

Rascal 08-19-2010 06:45 AM

I completely agree with the comments about Princess Birgitta. Stunning when she was younger because of her beautiful skin and smile as well as those HUGE eyes. She is a stunning woman now, but for completely different reasons.

What I think is the biggest tragedy is the effect on the jewels. I was so shocked by how tragic she looked I almost didn't notice the tiara she was wearing. As it is one of the largest of the collection, to distract someone who studies the Swedish jewels from noticing it is a huge feat. I can only imagine someone who was seeing anything about the Swedish royal family for the first time being completely shocked and not even see the tiara at all. Queen Louise was not the most attractive woman but she managed to wear the jewels appropriately and managed to look like a queen - regal and elegant, even if she was not pretty.

Soli Deo Gloria 08-19-2010 03:05 PM

agree agree... Birgittas look was terrible at the wedding+ night before... maybe because she try too hard to have a "young" style (hair, dress...) but she failed completely and the tiara down over her hair was no hit ( if we are nice we can say she wore the tiara more like in the way they did in the 20:s or so ;-) here Q Louise: Fil:Drottlouise.jpg - Wikipedia
Birgittas sisters on the other hand managed to look like mature ladys and wore their tiaras like queens :-) esp Desireé looked fantastisc - not afraid of her age :-)

Rascal 08-20-2010 05:51 PM

2nd Nagging Question

Hello, any and all. Hope your week is going well. Today I am posting a link to a particular brooch. This picture of Grand Duchess Luise of Baden is part of Miss Merten's Photostream on Flicker:

Luise von Baden, Grand Duchess of Baden | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

In it, Luise wears a brooch at her collar which appears to be a cushion pearl in an diamond circle (which may or may not be open between the diamonds and cushion pearl), from which is suspended a teardrop pearl pendant.

Crown Princess Victoria wore a beautiful nude colored dress to the private dinner at Drottningholm during the wedding festivities. It was the same dress she wears in one of the official portraits for the wedding and was used on the cover of the chocolates. She is seated next to Daniel and her hair is open but held up on one side with the Berndotte Rose Brooch.
Here is a link to the photo as posted on Jakob Granqvist's blog:

https://www.jakobgranqvist.com/blog/w...kholm-2010.jpg

Here is my question: Her gown is a one-shoulder with fabric over her left shoulder. Pinned to the fabric is a brooch which appears to be the same one worn by Grand Duchess Luise of Baden.

Queen Silvia has also worn this brooch on a few occasions, most recently during the state visit to the Netherlands. Could these two be the same and was it possibly inherited by Queen Victoria of Sweden, Luise's daughter? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rascal

Stefan 08-25-2010 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rascal (Post 1125441)
Empress Josephine's Cameo Parure:
Queen Hortense, Queen Josefina, Sibylla, Ingrid, Birgitta, Desiree (one time in addition to her wedding - see if you can find it :smile:), Silvia, CP Victoria.

The cameo parure was also worn once by Crown Princess Margaret for a Wedding when she borrwoed it from Prince Eugen.

Soli Deo Gloria 08-25-2010 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stefan (Post 1128598)
The cameo parure was also worn once by Crown Princess Margaret for a Wedding when she borrwoed it from Prince Eugen.

and here is a v short glimpse of CP Margaretha in the cameo parure at 4.03 :smile:
YouTube - Princess Margaret of Connaught / Crown Princess Margareta of Sweden

and at Sjöberg bild I found Princess Sibylla in the cameo tiara https://arkiv.sjobergbild.se/FotoWeb/...F0613C84404B31

(and if the link to the pic doesnt work here is a link to the gallerie... the pic is down 3 from left https://arkiv.sjobergbild.se/fotoweb/...0and%20sibylla )

Rascal 08-25-2010 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stefan (Post 1128598)

Thanks, Stefan! Can't believe I missed that one...and I have a pic from the wedding LOL! It was a LOOOOONNNGGG list! :lol:

Krisotter 08-25-2010 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soli Deo Gloria (Post 1128612)
and here is a v short glimpse of CP Margaretha in the cameo parure at 4.03

Can anyone tell me the tiara that the Crown Princess is wearing at the end of the YouTube clip? I don't recognize it, but I only know six or seven of the Swedish tiaras by sight. Or perhaps this is an English tiara from before her marriage?

Thanks!

Rascal 08-26-2010 12:06 AM

Hi, Krisotter. The tiara you saw is the Khedive of Egypt Diamond Tiara now in the possession of Queen Anne-Marie of Greece, daughter of Queen Ingrid of Denmark who inherited this tiara when her mother, Crown Princess Margaret of Sweden died. The tiara has been, so far, worn by all female descendants of Queen Ingrid on their wedding day, but remains the personal property of Anne-Marie. She last wore it for Prince Joachim's wedding to Marie Cavalier.

Rascal

Katrianna 08-26-2010 12:53 AM

Didn't Anne-Marie wear the Khedive this year? Was it for Queen Margrethe's birthday celebrations? I have to search now.:flowers:

Stefan 08-26-2010 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katrianna (Post 1129195)
Didn't Anne-Marie wear the Khedive this year? Was it for Queen Margrethe's birthday celebrations? I have to search now.:flowers:

Yes she wore it for the birthday dinner at Fredensborg in April this year.

Soli Deo Gloria 08-27-2010 12:09 PM

Post #75-80 is about the Vasa earrings. Here is a picture of Madeleine wearing them Fil:Royal Wedding Stockholm 2010-Konserthuset-427.jpg (cropped).jpg - Wikipedia

Rascal 08-27-2010 05:00 PM

Thanks for the correction, Katrianna and Stefan. I completely forgot about Anne-Marie wearing the Khedive tiara at the birthday celebrations....guess I am still in wedding mode :smile:!

Rascal

Josefine 09-24-2010 09:54 AM

who wore the nine prog tiara between sofia and louise?