The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royal Weddings (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f31/)
-   -   King Carl Gustaf of Sweden and Silvia Sommerlath: June 19, 1976 (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f31/king-carl-gustaf-of-sweden-and-silvia-sommerlath-june-19-1976-a-50.html)

MagMil 06-19-2018 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyFinn (Post 2124583)
42 years ago, a gallery from Svensk Damtidning
Se 17 bästa bilderna från kungaparets bröllop! _ Svensk Damtidning

:previous:
Congragulation :flowers::flowers::flowers:
Happy wedding anniversary to Queen Silvia and King Carl Gustaf :heart:

XeniaCasaraghi 07-06-2018 03:37 PM

Silvia was too beautiful for a dress like this.

Thena 07-07-2018 01:46 AM

It's still not my favorite dress, but I picked up some interesting tidbits from the SVT documentary on royal wedding dresses. Fair warning: the video is in Swedish and while I was able to get English sub-titles, there's a chance that something got lost in translation.

Silvia said that she when they were planning the wedding, she went to spend a weekend in Copenhagen as the guest of Queen Ingrid. There, they looked over dress sketches together and picking out the Christian Dior dress that she ultimately wore.

What really blew my mind, though, is that they used the train from Princess Birgitta's dress instead of the one originally supplied by Dior. Silvia wanted something from Märtaskolan since they made the dresses worn by Carl Gustaf's sisters, but the dressmaker had closed permanently a year before. So Silvia had the train from Birgitta's dress (also worn by Princess Desiree) added onto her gown. I still don't like the gown, but the sentimental gesture of using the train softens my dislike a bit. Can you imagine what she would have been able to wear if Märtaskolan had made her dress? :ermm:

LadyFinn 10-06-2018 02:00 PM

Grand duke Jean, grand duchess Joséphine-Charlotte and Louis Mountbatten, Earl Mountbatten of Burma
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image
Estelle (countess Estelle Bernadotte) and Carl-Erik Ekstrand

maria-olivia 10-06-2018 02:41 PM

Thanks for this pictures. Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte was one of the very last Royal by blood.

Somebody 10-06-2018 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maria-olivia (Post 2155429)
Thanks for this pictures. Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte was one of the very last Royal by blood.

Her brother is still alive :biggrin:

How would you define 'royal by blood' - how many generations of 'what exactly' are required?

As it is clear that with each generation there will be fewer royals with two royal parents (whose parents were also royals etc); it would be an interesting exercise (not for this topic though) to identify all remaining (European) 'royals by blood' but to do so we would need to agree on the criteria.

Queen Claude 10-06-2018 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyFinn (Post 2155417)
Grand duke Jean, grand duchess Joséphine-Charlotte and Louis Mountbatten, Earl Mountbatten of Burma
Estelle (countess Estelle Bernadotte) and Carl-Erik Ekstrand

It's interesting that Carl Gustaf and Silvia's wedding was not a tiara event, I assume that it was because the time of day that the wedding was held.

CyrilVladisla 12-12-2018 05:46 PM

King Carl XVI Gustaf and Silvia's wedding was the first wedding for a sitting monarch in Sweden since 1797 when Princess Frederica of Baden married King Gustav IV Adolph.

Blog Real 04-16-2019 07:37 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CynTJmud0U

LadyFinn 06-18-2019 11:16 PM

Svensk Damtidning had an article about the wedding at last week's issue, today 43 years ago.

LadyFinn 11-15-2019 08:07 AM

Newspaper Expressen published on Sunday 10th November a special issue due to its 75th anniversary.
At the newspaper is also and article of the king and queen's wedding: