The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f34/)
-   -   Birth of Lilibet “Lili” Diana Mountbatten-Windsor: June 4, 2021 (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f34/birth-of-lilibet-lili-diana-mountbatten-windsor-june-4-2021-a-48720.html)

Marika86 06-06-2021 12:09 PM

Birth of Lilibet “Lili” Diana Mountbatten-Windsor: June 4, 2021

Emily Nash @emynash BREAKING: Harry and Meghan welcomed their daughter Lilibet “Lili” Diana Mountbatten-Windsor on Friday June 4 at Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital. Archie’s baby sister weighed 7lbs 11oz and is named after her great-grandmother the Queen and grandmother Diana, Princess of Wales:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E3NgKO9X...pg&name=medium

Mirabel 06-06-2021 12:17 PM

I realize it was the Queen's childhood nickname, but I don't think it sounds very elegant.
I'd like it better if they reversed the order of names.

ACO 06-06-2021 12:21 PM

They will be calling her Lili.

Archie and Lili. That is cute.

Welcome to the world.

Blog Real 06-06-2021 12:25 PM

What good news!
I really like the baby's name.

Congratulations message from the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge on the birth of Harry and Meghan's daughter.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CPyihcjF...dium=copy_link

Congratulations from Princess Eugenie.
https://www.ecestaticos.com/image/cl...de-eugenia.jpg

Archduchess Zelia 06-06-2021 12:28 PM

Loathe the (nick)name Lilibet as a given name, love the thought behind her being given it and I love Lili. Archie and Lili sound smashing together.

Fijiro 06-06-2021 12:28 PM

Lilibet Diana - I love her names.
Welcome to the world Lili.

Zaira 06-06-2021 12:29 PM

What lovely news! Lili is such a precious name. So glad Meghan and baby are healthy and well. <3

Erin9 06-06-2021 12:31 PM

The name is cute.

I’m not at all surprised at Diana. To be expected. And I do think it’s good that it is her middle name.

A variation of the Queen’s name (her nickname) isn’t terribly surprising. It’s less formal- similar to Archie. They have also been keen to emphasize their connection with Queen- in spite of all their criticism- personal and professional. So, I can see it.

Heavs 06-06-2021 12:33 PM

Glad she's been born safely and mum and baby are well. But wow with the name.

For two people who really claim to hate everything about the family and have spent the last year trying to destroy everything HM holds dear, they're laying it on really thick and not in a good way. It's also a little presumptuous to use a private family nickname unless you've asked permission and I kind of doubt they had.

Not surprised about Diana of course.

HighGoalHighDreams 06-06-2021 12:36 PM

I thought the Daily Mail was having us on, as surely no one would wait until Her Majesty The Queen's husband over over 70 years was newly laid to rest to rake her parenting over the coals, blaming it for three generations of inherited trauma, announce to the world that traveling to London to be by her side for the man's funeral induced a new spell of trauma in him to turn the occasion back on himself, and then name his child after her, only using a nickname that is reserved for intimate friends of her own generation, meaning it has no significance to him or his wife.

But I had forgotten who I was reading about.

Biri 06-06-2021 12:38 PM

Beautiful name!

Congratulations to parents. big brother, grandparents and great-grandmother!

Welcome to the world, Lili Diana!:usaflag::britflag2::princess::baby::duckie::rose::fireworks::fireworks::fireworks:

Somebody 06-06-2021 12:38 PM

Happy mother and daughter are doing well.

I would have understood the name 'Lily Diana' as they clearly crave their royal connection (in contrast to Archie who didn't get a royal name) and in addition build their brand on being Diana's son('s family). However, using the queen's childhood nickname (it doesn't get much more intimate than that) as their daughter's official name seems rather pretentious, especially after trying to destroy all that she has ever lived for and represents over the last year and a half. Poor queen... (who also needs to pretend to be honored by this gesture as that is what a diplomatic person like her would do)

And 'Lili' (instead of Lily) looks weird to me.

Fem 06-06-2021 12:40 PM

While I'm glad the child and mother are healthy and doing well, the name is a sad, sad joke.

tihkon2 06-06-2021 12:40 PM

I thought the name was a joke at first. But oh well. Congratulations to them and welcome to the world little Lili!

Princess Luna 06-06-2021 12:41 PM

Wonderful news and such a beautiful name:flowers:

Alison H 06-06-2021 12:42 PM

I forget who pointed out in the "names and godparents" thread that Lili or Lily could be short for Lilibet, but well done for your excellent guesswork!

I think it's extremely weird to use the Queen's private family nickname rather than Lili/Lily or Elizabeth, especially given their recent disrespectful behaviour towards the Royal Family, but Lili is a pretty name, and it's good to hear that Meghan and the baby are both well.

"Different" spellings seem to be a thing these days. Hailey, Jaxon, Natalee, Danyal, et al!

assia 06-06-2021 12:44 PM

So the baby is almost sharing 2 names with Princess Charlotte Elizabeth Diana of Cambridge

Nico 06-06-2021 12:46 PM

Eye roll for the name ... but in a way it's typical Sussexes, so here we go ...
A birth is always the most wonderful news, so congrats to the proud parents.

Erin9 06-06-2021 12:47 PM

It’s rather contradictory to name her after the Queen, but at the same time, very typical of them. It is, as another poster said, laying it on a bit thick.

They slam the institution HM has devoted her life towards in every way imaginable, criticize the family in general as unfeeling, neglectful and racist. Slammed her son repeatedly as a disappointment as a parent. Harry then criticized his grandparents (which of course includes her) as parents to help explain his childhood woes. They have, undoubtedly IMO, caused her enormous stress lately.

But-they’ll name their kid after her....because despite all that....they have also liked to make it clear that they’re in touch with her and are very close.

But- all that said- I do think the name itself is sweet.

Heavs 06-06-2021 12:47 PM

Lilli is actually a pretty name and goes well with Archie and is quite popular now.

But can I please hope that they'll now stop attacking everything her great-grandmother holds dear now that they've proven that they want to be connected with royalty? Anyone want to take a bet? ;)

leticia.h 06-06-2021 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nico (Post 2405539)
Eye roll for the name ... but in a way it's typical Sussexes, so here we go ...
A birth is always the most wonderful news, so congrats to the proud parents.

same here... I would expect nothing less from them

Tatiana Maria 06-06-2021 12:49 PM

The full statement from the website of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex:
https://archewell.com/news/congratul...ess-of-sussex/

It is with great joy that Prince Harry and Meghan, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, welcome their daughter, Lilibet “Lili” Diana Mountbatten-Windsor, to the world. Lili was born on Friday, June 4 at 11:40 a.m. in the trusted care of the doctors and staff at Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital in Santa Barbara, CA.

[...]

Lili is named after her great-grandmother, Her Majesty The Queen, whose family nickname is Lilibet. Her middle name, Diana, was chosen to honor her beloved late grandmother, The Princess of Wales.

[...]

For those inquiring on sending gifts, we would ask that you support or learn more about these organizations working for women and girls: Girls Inc., Harvest Home, CAMFED or Myna Mahila Foundation.

While the Duke and Duchess are on parental leave, Archewell will continue to do important work and publish stories on the site.

Despite the parents using Lili, I suspect she will be called Lilibet on the official website of the royal family, since the website refers to for example Mike Tindall and Edo Mapelli Mozzi by their legal names Michael and Edoardo.

Sandy345 06-06-2021 12:49 PM

Probably she will be nicknamed Lili a sweet name.

ThistleDoNicely 06-06-2021 12:51 PM

Awww, such happy news! Congratulations to Harry and Meghan on the birth of their baby girl.

Lili is such an adorable name. :smile:

Emme 06-06-2021 12:56 PM

Welcome Lili Mountbatten-Windsor!

RoyalNight 06-06-2021 01:07 PM

Names in honor of royal connections... And nothing for supportive and loving granny Doria...:whistling:

Anyway, I'm happy the baby is healthy. Congrats!

Duc_et_Pair 06-06-2021 01:13 PM

Interesting that in their communiqué the couple refers to "The Princess of Wales", a title Diana lost more than 25 years ago, since the divorce from The Prince of Wales.

An Ard Ri 06-06-2021 01:17 PM

Congratulations to the Duke and Duchess at the birth of their daughter.

Curbside 06-06-2021 01:19 PM

I love the names! Both kids have informal versions of pretty traditional names.

I figured the baby would have “Diana” in there somewhere, since she’s the Sussexes last child.

lirienn 06-06-2021 01:23 PM

It's all cute but I'm slightly disappointed that Doria wasn't included.
Like.. they went ballistic against the royals yet they milk the names. No shame. Shame about no Doria who was a great mother..

eya 06-06-2021 01:25 PM

Congratulations to the couple!!!

Denville 06-06-2021 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heavs (Post 2405541)
Lilli is actually a pretty name and goes well with Archie and is quite popular now.

But can I please hope that they'll now stop attacking everything her great-grandmother holds dear now that they've proven that they want to be connected with royalty? Anyone want to take a bet? ;)

I dont think so. But I like the name Lily, if they like it why not just use it? They were always going to use Diana, that was a given.

Lady Chiara 06-06-2021 01:33 PM

Congrats! Welcome Lili!
Glad to Hear they are both well
Diana was expected and is a nice tribute.
I'm Not a fan of Lilibet because I find it too nickname-y and to much a reference to someone specific (and very important), in my opinion just Lily or Lili would have been better and a more wearable name but it's just my opinion and the important part is that they are happy and so is the Queen (I would like to say that this would be my opinion with any of QEII descendants using Lilibet as a first name, it is not specifically a critic to the Sussexes)
Still, congrats to the new family of four and I wish Lili an amazing life

Curbside 06-06-2021 01:38 PM

I just did a quick search and it looks like at least eight of the queen’s descendants are named “Elizabeth” in some form.

acdc1 06-06-2021 01:40 PM

I actually like the name Lili, the sentiment is sweet and Archie and Lili go well together as a sibling set. However, I don’t love using Lilibet as a full name, I think going straight for Lili or naming her Elizabeth and calling her Lili would have been better. I guess the “nickname of a nickname” thing really throws me off and Lilibet is just such a strange name on its own.

Spheno 06-06-2021 01:43 PM

I don't like use of the queen's nickname as forename. It doesn't look appropriate. :(

Somebody 06-06-2021 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curbside (Post 2405563)
I just did a quick search and it looks like at least eight of the queen’s descendants are named “Elizabeth” in some form.

Not in 'some form'; the firstborn daughters all have Elizabeth as one of their names. All of them except the Sussexes used the queen's official name Elizabeth as a middle name. Nobody dared to use the queen's intimate childhood nickname; except for those who least respect her legacy.

Anne Elizabeth Alice Louise
Zara Anne Elizabeth
Beatrice Elizabeth Mary
Louise Alice Elizabeth Mary
Isla Elizabeth
Charlotte Elizabeth Diana
Lena Elizabeth
Lilibet (Lili) Diana

If they didn't want to use Elizabeth, why not use 'Lily' as her official name that would be clearly inspired by the queen without using the name that Harry would never dare to use to refer to his grandmother. Alternatively, they could have used Elizabeth as her official name and announce that she would be known as Lily but that would make less sense in combination with their choice for Archie (instead of Archibald being called Archie).

And the poor child will have to endure the mockery for her rather weird and old-fashioned (but not traditional) legal name... all of this could have been easily avoided.

ladongas 06-06-2021 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HighGoalHighDreams (Post 2405529)
... only using a nickname that is reserved for intimate friends of her own generation, meaning it has no significance to him or his wife.

But I had forgotten who I was reading about.

Not so:

https://www.nytimes.com/1981/07/30/w...asy-grace.html

‘...whom Diana has called “Aunt Lilibet” since childhood.’

cdm 06-06-2021 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair (Post 2405550)
Interesting that in their communiqué the couple refers to "The Princess of Wales", a title Diana lost more than 25 years ago, since the divorce from The Prince of Wales.

I noticed that too and their own names/title are in the format of the divorced Diana and Sarah.

Archie and Lili make a nice combination.

It’s sweet that both Diana’s granddaughters bear her name.

Sunnystar 06-06-2021 01:47 PM

Agree with those who aren't fans of Lilibet - that's a family nickname not a regular name - even Archie at least had that going for him. Lili or Lily would have been much nicer and still retained the connection - and would have flowed better off the tongue than Lilibet Diana. Using Lilibet is just too try-hard and cutesy for words. Seriously, this kid is going to have to live with "Lili" or "Lilibet" on her CV/resume/applications for the rest of her life.

I'm highly amused at how many of us here called Diana as one of her names. Not all that unsurprising since William used it as one of Charlotte's middle names - her sons both still, very clearly, love and miss her dearly.

Also, word up to everyone who said the baby was likely due last week or this week. Let's pat ourselves on our collective backs for knowing that in the US summer "starts" Memorial Day weekend/first week of June, lol.

But, also - congratulations to the family. Now that they're on paternity leave, maybe they'll be silent for a few months.

Erin9 06-06-2021 01:47 PM

Quote:

Yeah. I noticed that too. Interesting.

Curbside 06-06-2021 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Somebody (Post 2405566)
Not in 'some form'; all of them except the Sussexes used the queen's official name Elizabeth as a middle name. Nobody dared to use the queen's intimate childhood nickname; except for those who least respect her legacy.

“Dared?” It may be a childhood nickname, but it’s not a secret. I’ll bet the Queen already knew the name before they announced it and I’m sure it’s meant to honor her, not tear her down.

TLLK 06-06-2021 01:51 PM

:flowers: Congratulations to the Sussexes on the birth of their new daughter Lilibet.

Spheno 06-06-2021 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curbside (Post 2405571)
“Dared?” It may be a childhood nickname, but it’s not a secret. I’ll bet the Queen already knew the name before they announced it and I’m sure it’s meant to honor her, not tear her down.

it doesn't feel like honoring the queen.

Alison H 06-06-2021 01:53 PM

There are various alternatives to Elizabeth - Isabel or Isabella, or the Scottish Elspeth, and a lot of people now use Beth, Libby, Lizzie, Betty, Bessie or Eliza as names on their own.

Lilibet's always been unique to the Queen - one of those childhood nicknames which stuck, because she couldn't pronounce her own name properly when she was a baby learning to speak. I don't think even the Kents and the Gloucesters use it: as far as I know, Prince Philip was the last person who called her Lilibet.

HighGoalHighDreams 06-06-2021 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladongas (Post 2405567)
Not so:

https://www.nytimes.com/1981/07/30/w...asy-grace.html

‘...whom Diana has called “Aunt Lilibet” since childhood.’

Please note the use of the present tense in my post. Diana has been gone since 1997.

It has been quite widely reported that for very many years now, those who call the Queen Lilibet have whittled down to those from her childhood, with some even saying that only Prince Philip remained of those.

Curbside 06-06-2021 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lirienn (Post 2405556)
It's all cute but I'm slightly disappointed that Doria wasn't included.
Like.. they went ballistic against the royals yet they milk the names. No shame. Shame about no Doria who was a great mother..

The Sussex kids won’t have any connection with Diana other than blood. Doria seems very involved in the kids’ lives, so.

Denville 06-06-2021 01:55 PM

Quote:

They could have called her Elizabeth with the pet name Lily.. that was quite common in Victorian times. I didn't think that Doria's name would get a mention but Diana was always going to be the second name.
Anway hope they are well....

Quote:

Originally Posted by HighGoalHighDreams (Post 2405575)
Please note the use of the present tense in my post. Diana has been gone since 1997.

It has been quite widely reported that for very many years now, those who call the Queen Lilibet have whittled down to those from her childhood, with some even saying that only Prince Philip remained of those.

I doubt if Diana called her Aunt Lilibet as an adult, I think she became more formal and then when married to Charles called her "mama"...

Kataryn 06-06-2021 01:57 PM

Quote:

Not in 'some form'; the firstborn daughters all have Elizabeth as one of their names. All of them except the Sussexes used the queen's official name Elizabeth as a middle name. Nobody dared to use the queen's intimate childhood nickname; except for those who least respect her legacy.

Zara Anne Elizabeth
Beatrice Elizabeth Mary
Isla Elizabeth
Lena Elizabeth
Lilibet (Lili) Diana

If they didn't want to use Elizabeth, why not use 'Lily' as her official name that would be clearly inspired by the queen without using the name that Harry would never dare to use to refer to his grandmother. That would make most sense in combination with their choice for Archie.

Considering there already is a (Charlotte) "Elizabeth Diana" in the closest family, that they surely asked the queen if it was okay to name their baby Lilibet and that they live in the US where Archie and Lili are normal names, I think it was a suitable choice. Plus it shows that the queen has had a "family side" to her, where she has been "Lilibet" (or Granny etc.) and that is something to treasure in the family where little Lili will grow up. And "Lili" is not much different from Zara, Mia, Lena or Isla when it comes to sound like a modern name.

It's showing how Harry and Meghan see their family and how William and Catherine see theirs. Very fitting!

leticia.h 06-06-2021 01:58 PM

Quote:

I think King Felipe of Spain also refers to the Queen as "Aunt Lilibet"

Moonmaiden23 06-06-2021 01:59 PM

Hmm...I was startled that they would call her by the queen's nicknam, but this is the couple that named their son ARCHIE.:sad:

I have no doubt she is beautiful, and Lili is a cute nickname. I hope HMQ is flattered!

Any statement from Clarence House yet?

Somebody 06-06-2021 02:00 PM

Quote:

Secret? I never spoke about a secret. It is common knowledge but that has nothing to do with it; it is inappropriately intimate imho - especially for a grandson completely going against everything she stands for.

The queen was surely informed but of course couldn't tell them that she was less than pleased - as I already expressed in my previous post. While it might be meant to honor her, it is also very much meant to tie themselves to her status. The response of many clearly shows that a much better way to honor the queen would have been to actually honor them by the way they behave themselves and not cling to every opportunity to be seen as royalty while at the same time breaking down the BRF as much as possible.

Archduchess Zelia 06-06-2021 02:00 PM

:previous: Didn't she oppose Andrew and Sarah naming Beatrice "Annabel"? If she could oppose that, surely she could tell H&M if "she was less than pleased" that they would use Lilibet.

"The response of many" :lol: Random people on the internet's opinions – especially in spaces where there's generally great animosity towards H&M – have absolutely no relevance whatsoever in terms of what the "better" way to honour QEII is. She's H&M's child and they decided the best way to honour QEII was to use Lilibet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spheno (Post 2405573)
it doesn't feel like honoring the queen.

I'd say that's very much in the eye of the beholder.

HighGoalHighDreams 06-06-2021 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leticia.h (Post 2405580)
I think King Felipe of Spain also refers to the Queen as "Aunt Lilibet"

Thank you. I believe you are correct and she may have received a condolence card with that name on it after Philip's death.

Heavs 06-06-2021 02:02 PM

Statement from BP via Roya

https://twitter.com/RoyaNikkhah/stat...93925081743361

Quote:

A Buckingham Palace spokesperson: “The Queen, The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall, and The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have been informed and are delighted with the news of the birth of a daughter for The Duke and Duchess of Sussex.”

Somebody 06-06-2021 02:03 PM

Quote:

While I think that the use is totally inappropriate (although they can do as they please), I seem to remember that Felipe also wrote to 'Aunt Lilibet', so it might be in use by a group a bit larger than only childhood friends.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heavs (Post 2405585)

No mention of the name of their (great)granddaughter/niece.

Osipi 06-06-2021 02:04 PM

I'm wondering if they asked the Queen ahead of the birth if she would mind if their daughter was named using the Queen's childhood nickname of Lilibet or if it was a surprise to the BRF as much as it is to us. I do like Lili though.

I have to admit thinking also upon hearing Lilibet that "at least they didn't name her Cabbage" another affectionate nickname Philip called his wife.

Anyways, I'm happy the child has arrived and both mom and daughter are doing well and Harry is most assuredly the proud papa. :smile:

Moonmaiden23 06-06-2021 02:07 PM

Quote:

I thought it was "HRH The Princess of Wales" that she lost after the divorce.....but she remained Diana Princess of Wales to the very end.

Am I confused?:sad:

MajorCats 06-06-2021 02:09 PM

Very happy that baby and mama are healthy.
Like the name especially the nickname. Lili. Kind of old fashion as I had a childhood
friend named Lily. (70 years ago)

Alison H 06-06-2021 02:09 PM

Is Lili a spelling commonly used in Germany, or am I just thinking that because of Lili Marlene?

HighGoalHighDreams 06-06-2021 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 (Post 2405589)
I thought it was "HRH The Princess of Wales" that she lost after the divorce.....but she remained Diana Princess of Wales to the very end.

Am I confused?:sad:

Yes and no.

Your summary is correct. The couples' statement, which refers to The Princess of Wales, is, unsurprisingly, incorrect. She was, as you said, Diana, Princess of Wales, and not The Princess of Wales.

Heavs 06-06-2021 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Somebody (Post 2405587)
No mention of the name of their (great)granddaughter/niece.

I'm trying not to read anything into that. ;) But it's probably just a quick initial announcement and there might be a more detailed one later. I was wondering if we'll get a "HM was asked and is delighted to give permission for the name" officially in the next few days.

I guess there won't be an easel outside BP this time?

Prinsara 06-06-2021 02:14 PM

"Lili Diana" just reminds me of "Lil/Little Diana", so I'm really not a fan, and I completely agree with everyone's arguments as to why "Lilibet" is irritatingly inappropriate and not an honor for HM, unless Lili's parents change their tune.

What was wrong with "Annabel"?

muriel 06-06-2021 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alison H (Post 2405591)
Is Lili a spelling commonly used in Germany, or am I just thinking that because of Lili Marlene?

I thought the commonly used name in Germany was Lidl.

Curryong 06-06-2021 02:15 PM

I think it’s lovely that they called the baby after the Queen and the late Diana, Princess of Wales. Congratulations to the Sussex family. I bet Harry and Meghan are over the moon. Archie really is a big brother now, to little Lili!

acdc1 06-06-2021 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muriel (Post 2405596)

Lili is a German name. I though Lidl was a German supermarket?

Tirilschatz 06-06-2021 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muriel (Post 2405596)

Actually LIDL is a supermarket. Like Aldi, if you're used to that.

The common way of writing the name in Germany would be LILLI, with two L.

If it's LILI, some people might pronounce it as LEE-LI.

Heavs 06-06-2021 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prinsara (Post 2405595)
"Lili Diana" just reminds me of "Lil/Little Diana", so I'm really not a fan, and I completely agree with everyone's arguments as to why "Lilibet" is irritatingly inappropriate and not an honor for HM, unless Lili's parents change their tune.

What was wrong with "Annabel"?

Allegedly it was too much of a sloane name for HM and too reminiscent of Annabel's the nightclub they all frequented - named for Annabel Goldsmith.

Prinsara 06-06-2021 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heavs (Post 2405601)
Allegedly it was too much of a sloane name for HM and too reminiscent of Annabel's the nightclub they all frequented - named for Annabel Goldsmith.

I thought it might be because of that. Pretty name on its own, though. Slightly funny if that's the only one she ever vetoed.

Of course Princess Margaret was meant to be "Ann Margaret", but for the taste of George V. :lol:

ladongas 06-06-2021 02:24 PM

I don’t know about anyone else’s family, but we enjoy referring to my dear late mother by several nicknames given her by others. It’s a warm way of speaking about her for us, and reminds us of those who so dubbed her.

Surely there is no real merit in claiming that this is some sort of unmerited privilege slyly exercised by Lili’s parents. The Queen could have easily squelched it if she felt that it was unsuitable; most grannies would enjoy the sweet reference to a nickname she has had for over 90 years.

Sunnystar 06-06-2021 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heavs (Post 2405585)
Statement from BP via Roya

https://twitter.com/RoyaNikkhah/stat...93925081743361

Quote:

A Buckingham Palace spokesperson: “The Queen, The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall, and The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have been informed and are delighted with the news of the birth of a daughter for The Duke and Duchess of Sussex.”

I can't help but wonder just when and how they were informed. Hopefully they've at least been sent some pics of the newborn.

Duc_et_Pair 06-06-2021 02:25 PM

There are more royals called "Lili" as a regular name. The wife of Prince Amedeo of Belgium, Donna Elisabetta ("Lilli") Rosboch von Wolkenstein comes to mind. Or Princess Marie Luise ("Lilly") zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg.

muriel 06-06-2021 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunnystar (Post 2405606)
I can't help but wonder just when and how they were informed. Hopefully they've at least been sent some pics of the newborn.

It would not surprise me if the BRF found out from the press release.

Curbside 06-06-2021 02:28 PM

Quote:

Zara Anne Elizabeth
Beatrice Elizabeth Mary
Isla Elizabeth
Lena Elizabeth
Lilibet (Lili) Diana

If they didn't want to use Elizabeth, why not use 'Lily' as her official name that would be clearly inspired by the queen without using the name that Harry would never dare to use to refer to his grandmother. Alternatively, they could have used Elizabeth as her official name and announce that she would be known as Lily but that would make less sense in combination with their choice for Archie (instead of Archibald being called Archie).

And the poor child will have to endure the mockery for her rather weird and old-fashioned (but not traditional) formal name... all could have been easily avoided.

My guess is that the Queen approves the use of her name. Lots of people are named after relatives with similar names or nicknames. Lilibet is a first name. It makes sense that they’d use an diminutive as her first name. I find it bizarre that people are trying to make this anything else but a tribute.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunnystar (Post 2405606)

Is there any reason to think the family wouldn’t have been informed?

Moran 06-06-2021 02:30 PM

Welcome, little one! Glad you're here safely and your mother is OK.

The name is strange overall. And the way they announced it, mimicking an official BP announcement...

Prinsara 06-06-2021 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladongas (Post 2405605)
The Queen could have easily squelched it if she felt that it was unsuitable.

Considering Harry and Meghan are no longer affiliated with the British monarchy, what makes you think they had to ask permission?

MajorCats 06-06-2021 02:32 PM

Lilibeth a girl's name is of English origin and a blend of Lily and Elizabeth.

The name Lily (spelling with a y ) was the top #34 name out of 100 according to
2019 Social Security names. (USA)

and in 2020 and so far in 2021 the name Lily is #35 out of 100 names for a girl in the
USA according to Social Security.

ladongas 06-06-2021 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muriel (Post 2405609)
It would not surprise me if the BRF found out from the press release.

Really? That seems very unlikely.

Alison H 06-06-2021 02:33 PM

Lidl would certainly have been an interesting choice!

Definitely no easels outside Buckingham Palace - apart from anything else, they removed the one announcing Prince Philip's death because people were crowding round it and they got stressed about social distancing.

winifred 06-06-2021 02:34 PM

My immediate, visceral reaction to the name was "no", because it seems so hypocritical, after the pain and damage they've caused, none of which they've ever acknowledged.

Rather than reminding everyone of their relationship to the toxic institution they were so desperate to escape from, they could have just used Lili, which is so pretty in its own right (and, if they hadn't thrown a hissy fit over the titles, she could have been "Lady Lili", which is darling!) Great that they're both doing well and already home.

Is the Santa Barbara hospital near their home?

Prinsara 06-06-2021 02:34 PM

Has the official site been updated with the line of succession?

Anna1519 06-06-2021 02:35 PM

What a beautiful name and a lovely tribute to HM. I also recall that Doria's nickname for Meghan was "Flower" so perhaps it works both ways. Archie and Lili go quite well together. So thrilled for Harry, Meghan, Archie, and Doria. :flowers:

Heavs 06-06-2021 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladongas (Post 2405616)
Really? That seems very unlikely.

From the wording it could go either way. I think they probably found out a bit before but maybe not much. It's a pretty generic announcement compared to Eugenie's:

https://www.royal.uk/announcement-bi...99s-first-baby

Quote:

Definitely no easels outside Buckingham Palace - apart from anything else, they removed the one announcing Prince Philip's death because people were crowding round it and they got stressed about social distancing.
Good point.

Kataryn 06-06-2021 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia (Post 2405583)
:previous: Didn't she oppose Andrew and Sarah naming Beatrice "Annabel"? If she could oppose that, surely she could tell H&M if "she was less than pleased" that they would use Lilibet.

Come to think of that (if it is true at all), didn't Andrew and Sarah befriend Lady Annabel Goldsmith, who was pretty notorious back then?

I wouldn't want a princess of the Uk being named after a nightclub as well, but yeah...

Quote:

"The response of many" :lol: Random people on the internet's opinions – especially in spaces where there's generally great animosity towards H&M – have absolutely no relevance whatsoever in terms of what the "better" way to honour QEII is. She's H&M's child and they decided the best way to honour QEII was to use Lilibet.

Yes, I agree. It's one thing to critize them for what they do or don't for their living, but certainly it should be their right to name their baby as they want to? They didn't name her "princess better than Charlotte MW" and called her Prinny or Charlie, after all.

And I can't even imagine how HM really feels about the naming of a little girl that will grow up in a world so completely different from what she has known all of her life! Harry and Meghan wanted to honour HM and his mother Diana (and it is IMHO the right to a son from a titles marriage to think of his father and mother by the titles they held when he was born, even if that changed later on). I like that!

soapstar 06-06-2021 02:58 PM

Congratulations to the Sussexes on the birth of their daughter. I’m glad mother and baby are doing well.

I’m not a fan of the name Lilibet, but Lili is nice. I’m a little surprised they didn’t include Doria’s name.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heavs (Post 2405594)
I'm trying not to read anything into that. ;) But it's probably just a quick initial announcement and there might be a more detailed one later. I was wondering if we'll get a "HM was asked and is delighted to give permission for the name" officially in the next few days.

I guess there won't be an easel outside BP this time?

Yeah, I’m not reading anything into it either. Today is the 77th anniversary of D-Day, so I think BP is focused on that. We might get a longer statement tomorrow.

ETA: The Cambridge’s just tweeted this:
Quote:

We are all delighted by the happy news of the arrival of baby Lili. Congratulations to Harry, Meghan and Archie.

ACO 06-06-2021 03:03 PM

Clarence House posts on Baby Lili

https://twitter.com/ClarenceHouse/st...14894894661638

soapstar 06-06-2021 03:09 PM

Seems they all decided to send their congratulations at the same time. Here’s the tweet from the Royal Family account.

https://twitter.com/RoyalFamily/stat...14927236841474

SLV 06-06-2021 03:12 PM

Happy to hear that Meghan and their little girl are doing well and are happy at home.

Kellydofc 06-06-2021 03:13 PM

Glad baby and mother are well but I admit the name feels like a huge grab for attention or to keep a place in granny's will. It also seems like a slap in the face to the Queen after all the stunts they've pulled the last two-three years. I wish I could think the name was well intentioned but I really can't.

Leopoldine 06-06-2021 03:15 PM

I'm glad mother and baby daughter are healthy and well.

I don't like the first name. I think it's disrespectful, tone-deaf and also very awkward for HM. One wonders if Harry and his wife have already trademarked "Lilibet" in the US.

When I see the name in print, I cannot move beyond the off-putting hubris of the parents.

An Ard Ri 06-06-2021 03:24 PM

Had any members guessed the name correctly?
And not in a million years would I have.

Denville 06-06-2021 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by An Ard Ri (Post 2405635)

I think most people guessed Diana and a lot of people mentioned Lily. Lilibet no..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prinsara (Post 2405613)
Considering Harry and Meghan are no longer affiliated with the British monarchy, what makes you think they had to ask permission?

I doubt if they asked permission.

Kataryn 06-06-2021 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kellydofc (Post 2405632)
Glad baby and mother are well but I admit the name feels like a huge grab for attention or to keep a place in granny's will. It also seems like a slap in the face to the Queen after all the stunts they've pulled the last two-three years. I wish I could think the name was well intentioned but I really can't.

I wonder, though why we accept the name "Elizabeth" for a girl as a tribute to HM, when no polite person calls her "Elizabeth" at all, her family use "Lilibet" and all the others use HM. I mean, how many of us use "Kate" instead of Catherine for HRH The Duchess of Cambridge?And now the grandson of a lady called "LIlibet" in her family uses that to name his daughter who won't probably ever be queen and it's not okay?

lady of hay 06-06-2021 03:41 PM

Quote:

I had guessed that Diana would be in there . I did think they might have used Philippa , as a nod to Prince Phillip .

Denville 06-06-2021 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kataryn (Post 2405640)
I wonder, though why we accept the name "Elizabeth" for a girl as a tribute to HM, when no polite person calls her "Elizabeth" at all, her family use "Lilibet" and all the others use HM. I mean, how many of us use "Kate" instead of Catherine for HRH The Duchess of Cambridge?And now the grandson of a lady called "LIlibet" in her family uses that to name his daughter who won't probably ever be queen and it's not okay?

her family and intimate friends may call her Lilibet.. but I'm sure she has other less intimate friends who call her Elizabeth..and the rest of the world call her by her title. if Harry wanted to pay tribute to his grandmother why not use her proper name?

kalnel 06-06-2021 03:43 PM

So last month the Queen was neglectful and unfeeling of Harry, and this month he's naming his daughter after her. (Sort of.)

Why didn't they just follow their hearts and name her "Diana ATM Mountbatten-Windsor?"

Denville 06-06-2021 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kalnel (Post 2405644)
So last month the Queen was neglectful and unfeeling of Harry, and this month he's naming his daughter after her. (Sort of.)

Why didn't they just follow their hearts and name her "Diana ATM Mountbatten-Windsor?"

I really dont know why they didn't pick a name that they liked, if Lily was that name use it.. and then add the names of both her grandmothers..

Curryong 06-06-2021 03:52 PM

How do we know the Queen isn’t highly delighted that her great-granddaughter is going to have her childhood name? Why regard it as an insult?

And CH, KP and The Royal Family Twitter accounts sent warm congratulations very quickly. As did Boris Johnson and others. They were happy for this little family.

MissJanet 06-06-2021 03:54 PM

Wonderful news. But the name is just so ... not very subtle.

Not that unexpected from the Sussexes, but still...

Heavs 06-06-2021 03:55 PM

Quote:

There were discussions IIRC because members pointed out their love of nicknames as regular names, so Lilibet was discussed along with Lily or Betty etc. But I think most assumed they wouldn't go for something so intimate or obvious.