The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royal Library (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f61/)
-   -   Ingrid Seward - Prince Philip (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f61/ingrid-seward-prince-philip-47955.html)

Claire 10-23-2020 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Betsypaige (Post 2350523)
The general story was reported, but not details like this. I personally loathe hunting, but I think this story is disturbing in two ways: that Harry was incredibly rude not to tell anyone that he wasnít going to participate and also that he feels the need to give up pursuits or hobbies because of Meghanís beliefs. I wonder how many others heís given up.

I actually didnt know what to make of the story either - half of the party were people that Harry invited for a shoot and then the morning after he was several hours later and the shoot hadnt started , came downstairs in his gown and sleepily told them that Meghan said he couldnt go and he had to stop shooting as she wanted him to.

If he had told people the day before other arrangement could have been made.

Erin9 10-23-2020 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Betsypaige (Post 2350530)
Itís very damning stuff, and to be honest, I understand Philipís POV completely. He comes from a time when duty meant everything - and he himself gave up his personal life, a very promising Naval career, to marry the then-princess Elizabeth. Iím very glad that heís removed himself from this situation - which is why he didnít attend the Sandringham summit. Heís said his piece - he canít force Harry to listen to him, and at 99, he doesnít need the aggravation.

The 10 minutes notice to both BP and Charles was an unacceptable breach of protocol, but worse showed a total lack of respect. I love how protective Philip is of HM.

The article isnít only about Harry, though. I didnít know that Philip loves Mary Berry and cooking shows - so do I ! Heís an amazing man - the dignity he carries himself with is astonishing.

Totally agree with you about Philip regarding the Harry situation. I said almost the same thing in an earlier post. It was all handled so poorly by Harry and Meghan. I just shake my head.

I smiled when I read that he likes Mary Berry. IIrc- William and Catherine are fans too. Nice thing to have in common. As different as he and Charles are in temperment, these are both dutiful, active men with a variety of hobbies/ interests.

Susan D 10-23-2020 01:37 PM

Poor Harry. They picked on him.

Denville 10-23-2020 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan D (Post 2350546)
Poor Harry. They picked on him.

Who picked on him?

Betsypaige 10-23-2020 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claire (Post 2350535)
I actually didnt know what to make of the story either - half of the party were people that Harry invited for a shoot and then the morning after he was several hours later and the shoot hadnt started , came downstairs in his gown and sleepily told them that Meghan said he couldnt go and he had to stop shooting as she wanted him to.

If he had told people the day before other arrangement could have been made.

That’s the thing, Harry is completely thoughtless when it comes to other people - it’s all about himself, or Meghan. It’s easy to see why he’s pushed away his old friends...there’s only so much people can tolerate before they’ve had enough.

Betsypaige 10-23-2020 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin9 (Post 2350542)
Totally agree with you about Philip regarding the Harry situation. I said almost the same thing in an earlier post. It was all handled so poorly by Harry and Meghan. I just shake my head.

I smiled when I read that he likes Mary Berry. IIrc- William and Catherine are fans too. Nice thing to have in common. As different as he and Charles are in temperment, these are both dutiful, active men with a variety of hobbies/ interests.

H and M are like bulls in a china shop, they trample on people because itís all about them.

I guess everyone loves Mary, lol - Iím American and I love her !

I agree about Philip and Charles - and since Philip apparently has always been concerned with environmental issues, he can take pride that his son has followed suit (even if he thought Charles was a bit of a nut, lol), also passing along that concern to William and Harry. I hope these two have gotten to spend some time together - Charles poignantly spoke about not being able to do so during lockdown some weeks ago.

Nice Nofret 10-23-2020 02:42 PM

The more I read about Harry & Megs relationship it seems to resamble to one who one partner tries to separate the other on from all prior bonds to family and friends. That is often the start of an abusive relationship, or one where one partner tries to dominate / manipulate and be in controll of every aspect of ones partners live.

I hope it isn't that way, but by now Harry hasn't got any friends and working familiyrelations left...

poppy7 10-23-2020 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nice Nofret (Post 2350556)
The more I read about Harry & Megs relationship it seems to resamble to one who one partner tries to separate the other on from all prior bonds to family and friends. That is often the start of an abusive relationship, or one where one partner tries to dominate / manipulate and be in controll of every aspect of ones partners live.

I hope it isn't that way, but by now Harry hasn't got any friends and working familiyrelations left...

Would all of the come under coercive control? Which is now classed as abuse. I'm a Veggie. I have little interest in my partners views on these things and if he went shooting I would have little interest in that. He has a right to his own life.

Fijiro 10-23-2020 07:00 PM

I feel that the Author included Prince Harry & Meghan in a negative light to get people to talk about her book, because she knew that would get more clicks and more negative comments.

TLLK 10-23-2020 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caethi (Post 2350522)
I am not referring to a formal announcement.

He may have been worried that if this were widely known, Meghan would be blamed and receive even more criticism than she was receiving at the time.
The shooting party seems to have been arranged by friends, not family.

However if the story from Vanity Fair is true, would it not have been better to decline the invitation all together or make it clear to his hosts that he no longer participated in shooting? Then the hosts and the other guests would not have been left waiting that morning.

Betsypaige 10-23-2020 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLLK (Post 2350585)
However if the story from Vanity Fair is true, would it not have been better to decline the invitation all together or make it clear to his hosts that he no longer participated in shooting? Then the hosts and the other guests would not have been left waiting that morning.

Of course it would have.......It's ridiculous that he kept everyone in the dark, and then kept everyone waiting, because he couldn't be bothered to speak to them beforehand. I'm having a very hard time liking Harry even a bit....

Osipi 10-23-2020 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Betsypaige (Post 2350587)
Of course it would have.......It's ridiculous that he kept everyone in the dark, and then kept everyone waiting, because he couldn't be bothered to speak to them beforehand. I'm having a very hard time liking Harry even a bit....

A perfect and acceptable solution to this problem was overlooked. The shooting party had been arranged, set up and ready to go. Harry, with his own good reasons, could be justified in deciding not to shoot that day but what prevented him from going along on the shoot with his friends and enjoying the day? Even if he didn't shoot a gun himself?

Many people go out drinking with their friends and abstain from alcohol for various reasons. It was the skipping out on the outing itself at the last minute that was rude. Deciding he'll no longer shoot (for whatever reason) was a personal choice. ;)

Curryong 10-23-2020 09:17 PM

That is if this story is even true in the first place. The Press have been cherry picking these excerpts from Ingrid Seward's book featuring Harry and Meghan because they are desperate for Clickbait. And Ms Seward, who has criticised Meghan many times in the DM knows that writing negatively about either of the Sussexes might help the sales of her books.

Prince Philip has had an extremely long and quite interesting life. It's remarkable that most of what has been featured in the tabloid media about it is concentrated in the last two of 99 years of this man's existence. But that's life I guess. Gotta sell those books, keep those the clicks going.

Betsypaige 10-24-2020 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osipi (Post 2350596)
A perfect and acceptable solution to this problem was overlooked. The shooting party had been arranged, set up and ready to go. Harry, with his own good reasons, could be justified in deciding not to shoot that day but what prevented him from going along on the shoot with his friends and enjoying the day? Even if he didn't shoot a gun himself?

Many people go out drinking with their friends and abstain from alcohol for various reasons. It was the skipping out on the outing itself at the last minute that was rude. Deciding he'll no longer shoot (for whatever reason) was a personal choice. ;)

He could have done that ...I agree that it was the skipping out - and not letting anyone know - that was rude. What I donít understand is why Harry didnít let anyone know that he was no longer going to hunt ...I donít mean on that day, I mean well before then. Clearly his friends had no idea or else they wouldnít have put this all together, which must have taken some doing.

Osipi 10-24-2020 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Betsypaige (Post 2350606)
He could have done that ...I agree that it was the skipping out - and not letting anyone know - that was rude. What I donít understand is why Harry didnít let anyone know that he was no longer going to hunt ...I donít mean on that day, I mean well before then. Clearly his friends had no idea or else they wouldnít have put this all together, which must have taken some doing.

Perhaps it was a bone of contention that flared up in bed the night before between Harry and Meghan for all we know.

Its all water under the bridge now and who knows what parts of the story are actually true? I'm filing this in the ancient history folder as "irrelevant" to things I need to remember. :lol:

Claire 10-24-2020 07:55 AM

To be blunt - this book has nothing going for it. Nothing. M&H are mentioned 4 times - Phillip was certain to be well enough to walk for Harry's wedding. He came down to see Archie by request of the Queen. The incident at the hunt and finally his disappointed in Harry doing a runner. 4 mentions - which are little more then a paragraph each.
So yes - if this is the books only selling point then well you get my point on the quality of this biography.

Claire 10-24-2020 08:09 AM

Oddly if you look at how Phillip's relationship with his immediately family are dealt with in pages and mentions. You will be under the impression that Philip most enduring relationship is with Diana. Diana gets more pages then the Queen :)
The Queen is about a chapter
Charles is about a 10pg on my kindle and then sputtering's here and there. Camilla about 2 paragraphs.
Anne about 6 pg which is all of how she is just like Philip.
Andrew is a short bio of his life ending with his teen years and then in the epilogue. about the problems he is now creating the Queen. Sarah - one line. I don't remember anything about Beatrice . Brief mention of Eugenie's wedding.
Edward - 4 pages about his early life ending with Philip supporting him quitting the Marines. Sophie and Louise are mentioned in the chapter of carriage driving. (Sentence reads - it is a sport that is now continued by the Countess of Wessex and Lady Louise Windsor) James is not mentioned at all
William and Kate get at least 9 pages about how wonderful they are and how they are the future of the monarchy.

Betsypaige 10-24-2020 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claire (Post 2350634)
Oddly if you look at how Phillip's relationship with his immediately family are dealt with in pages and mentions. You will be under the impression that Philip most enduring relationship is with Diana. Diana gets more pages then the Queen :)
The Queen is about a chapter
Charles is about a 10pg on my kindle and then sputtering's here and there. Camilla about 2 paragraphs.
Anne about 6 pg which is all of how she is just like Philip.
Andrew is a short bio of his life ending with his teen years and then in the epilogue. about the problems he is now creating the Queen. Sarah - one line. I don't remember anything about Beatrice . Brief mention of Eugenie's wedding.
Edward - 4 pages about his early life ending with Philip supporting him quitting the Marines. Sophie and Louise are mentioned in the chapter of carriage driving. (Sentence reads - it is a sport that is now continued by the Countess of Wessex and Lady Louise Windsor) James is not mentioned at all
William and Kate get at least 9 pages about how wonderful they are and how they are the future of the monarchy.

That is odd, especially about Charles since he is the heir and the child Philip has the most fraught relationship with. Did Seward indicate at all what their relationship is like now?

To be fair, thereís been lots of stuff written about Philipís relationship with the Queen - assuming thereís nothing new under the sun, I can see why Seward would rather devote more time to other parts of his life that havenít been explored fully.

Winnie 10-24-2020 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Betsypaige (Post 2350653)

To be fair, thereís been lots of stuff written about Philipís relationship with the Queen - assuming thereís nothing new under the sun, I can see why Seward would rather devote more time to other parts of his life that havenít been explored fully.

I certainly agree. To just repeat items from other authors or journalists articles is just filling pages to enlarge their books. Not worth people spending money on once again. Now different true facts on prior written articles which were discovered, well worth the writing. JMO

Sandy345 10-24-2020 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AC21091968 (Post 2350476)
Ingrid Seward did an interview with Katie Nicholl on Vanity Fair ahead of the release of Prince Philip Revealed

Why Prince Harryís Relationship with Prince Philip Still Hasnít Recovered: ďThis Has Been a Great ShockĒ
In her new biography Prince Philip Revealed, Ingrid Seward writes that the Queenís husband has compared Meghan Markle to Wallis Simpson, even though he welcomed her to the family at first.
https://www.vanityfair.com/style/202...p-relationship

I hope this is not true. Since Mrs Simpson is nothing like Meghan, Duchess of Sussex. Harry and Meghan were free to see each other, Wallis had a husband when she was seeing Edward. Also, Harry was never a King who abdicated And above all, Philip should realize that three of his children got divorced and two remarried so there is less "stigma" about divorce than there was in the thirties.