The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Archives (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f234/)
-   -   Fashion for the little and teenage royals Part 15: June 2020 - May 2021 (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f234/fashion-for-the-little-and-teenage-royals-part-15-june-2020-may-2021-a-47568.html)

MsJulie 10-17-2020 01:46 PM

In Iceflower posts 192, there is an elder lady in front of the girls...I have to say I like her nylons or pantyhose ... just different and she is making some statement! Sorry off topic, I do like the girls clothes today. They are so close in size with their mom, that I hope we don’t see moms clothes on them. A current Grand Duchess did have her DIL maybe her own daughter too wear some of her hand me downs....it I did not go over well.

amaryllus 10-17-2020 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 (Post 2349358)
Why is it that Leonor and Sofia's fashion seems ALWAYS to inspire more commentary/ controversy than any of the other young Royals? Seriously don't get it.

They are lovely young girls who are consistently dressed in very basic, rather conservative clothes...period. The antithesis of the Two Sicilies girls over in Monaco.

They are the only Tween Or teen Senior royal girls who are regularly photographed on official outings lately. So we discuss them of course. The Orange Girls arenít out Publicly enough for their style to be critiqued overly( though there has been plenty of shade about their fashion choices when they are) Same for Princesses Isabella, Eleonor and IA. Princess Aiko usually wears her school uniform LOL

The Sisters and the Sicily Peacocks/show girls and Estelle are what we got to yak about right now basically :)

HereditaryPrincess 10-17-2020 05:20 PM

For one I normally like what Leonor and Sofia wear, and even said so in my original post, so I don't see the harm in saying that this outfit from her wasn't to my personal taste. Leonor is getting of the age where she is wearing more adult clothes now and whilst I don't think it's okay for people to be nasty or inappropriate towards the girls considering they're still minors, I think it's fine to say that a clothing item wasn't to the poster's personal taste - it's the clothing being criticised, not Leonor herself, who always looks impeccably presented.

Prinsara 10-17-2020 05:28 PM

Who do you think actually has final say what they wear for engagements? Is it the girls, Letizia, a stylist, by committee or all three?

No "Letizia being controlling" arguments, please; I'm just asking because it means something very different if Leonor really wanted to wear her gold beaded PoA dress versus someone else thinking she should.

Countessmeout 10-17-2020 05:40 PM

Of course parents have some say. And not just those accused of being over bearing. They are the ones buying the clothes.

I am sure they get choices in what they buy and wear but with guidelines. Like any minor in most houses.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mbruno (Post 2349321)
I think most posters here are being too harsh. I wouldn't say Leonor's dress at the Princess of Asturias awards ceremony looked like "something she borrowed from her grandmother".

In fact, if Leonor were a boy, she (he) would be wearing a suit and tie and nobody would say she (he) had borrowed it "from his grandpa". Leonor was dressed formally for the occasion and quite appropriately in my opinion.

A suit is a suit.

You donít think there is age to clothes? So you would be okay if queen sofus was dressed like a twenty year old? Or Sofia dressing makeup and such like someone in their twenties even? Womenís clothes have a much broader range then menís formal clothes. Just like you wouldnít expect to see JC dress like his teenage grandsons for a casual event.

Todayís casual look isnít bad. Not a huge fan of puffer vests but looks nice. Think Leonor looks like she is in an over sized sports coat. Seems more dressed then her sister.

amaryllus 10-17-2020 06:26 PM

At the end of the day this is The section to discuss the clothing and dress choices of Kid Royals. Of course people are going to have different opinions and disagree with the choices the young people( or their parents make).

Very rarely has Anyone ever criticized the young Royals In Question Personally or made derogatory/nasty comments. Those passing trolls are quickly sent packing. saying you donít Personally like a color or length or design of So and So girls dress Is ridiculously far from that.

Also. There are relatively few Senior Teen Boy Royals right now and they almost always wear a standard suit and tie Or sedate shirt with slacks in public so whatís to talk about? Ooh itís a blue suit! OMG a black suit!!!

Tarlita 10-17-2020 09:57 PM

Now there's a boutique fashion industry just waiting for someone to take it on. Fashion for young royals from the age of 13 years upwards.
Casual wear for official visits.
Early evening wear for say going to a concert, or film premiere.
Church attire for winter and summer and so on. The list is vast.
I think at the moment there isn't much for tween girls to choose from.

moby 10-18-2020 01:08 AM

I'm usually a fan of Leonor and Sofia's outfits as well, but for their fashion in year's PoA event, not so much. However, this is a tricky time, where she is still in her mid-teens but already needs to seem more mature due to her duties. There are more restrictions for her than for most teens who are allowed to experiment, fashion-wise, to their hearts' content. I get the impression that, consistent with her position, she would rather err on the side of caution (conservative fashion), unlike Infanta Sofia who generally appears more comfortable.

The good thing is, they're Spanish, lovely clothes are everywhere in that country and confident, fashionable people abound. Princess Leonor will totally find her stride.

Duke of Marmalade 10-18-2020 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iceflower (Post 2349312)
Posts that did not discuss any fashion choices have been removed.

Leonor and Sofia in Somao (Pravia) today, October 17:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

OMG, another outfit from Leonor straight out of granny's closet, worn ca. 1972.

Prinsara 10-18-2020 06:07 AM

I like Leonor's coat. If she prefers the preppy and classic looks, it's a refreshing change from her usual sweet and less-mature style. I think it's quite sharp and looks like something recent borrowed from Letizia.

kathia_sophia 10-18-2020 07:32 AM

On their visit to Somao.

I like Sofia's look, always loved vests, and her overall look was very stylish, though it looks more of a night to the cinema than an official visit to a village to give an award.

Leonor's look is more formal than her sister's. But I'm not a fan of that coat on Leonor. It ages her a little bit (not in a good way). I loved last year's looks much much more.

Emmily 10-18-2020 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acdc1 (Post 2349182)
I don't love Leonor's dress. I usually like what both she and Sofia wear, but this looks a little dowdy and matronly for me, like something that her grandmother would be more likely to wear. I do like that she wore heels while Sofia wore flats... Sofia is quite tall and mature-looking, and I think she looks older in general than Leonor, so I wonder if this was a subtle way for Leonor to be the mature one tonight.

I think so! Except for the color I like this dress and heels on Leonor. The color of Sofia's dress looks very nice on her, but the style doesn't. Pretty dress but not the fit.

HereditaryPrincess 10-18-2020 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amaryllus (Post 2349447)
At the end of the day this is The section to discuss the clothing and dress choices of Kid Royals. Of course people are going to have different opinions and disagree with the choices the young people( or their parents make).

Very rarely has Anyone ever criticized the young Royals In Question Personally or made derogatory/nasty comments. Those passing trolls are quickly sent packing. saying you donít Personally like a color or length or design of So and So girls dress Is ridiculously far from that.

Absolutely agree with this. Perhaps we have all understandably become a bit more sensitive during the pandemic, but I don't think anyone here was making particularly nasty remarks. Most people on TRF are generally respectful, as they should be, when the royal children and teens are concerned.

Mbruno 10-18-2020 06:21 PM

"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prinsara (Post 2349434)
Who do you think actually has final say what they wear for engagements? Is it the girls, Letizia, a stylist, by committee or all three?

Probably Letizia with input from a stylist. The girls may have a say in casual wear, but probably not in an event like the Princess of Asturias Awards Ceremony.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess (Post 2349640)
Absolutely agree with this. Perhaps we have all understandably become a bit more sensitive during the pandemic, but I don't think anyone here was making particularly nasty remarks. Most people on TRF are generally respectful, as they should be, when the royal children and teens are concerned.

Well, I think it is nasty, or at least unnecessary to say that a 14-year-old girl was dressed like she "had borrowed her dress from her grandmother", which more than one poster said in this thread.

Prinsara 10-18-2020 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mbruno (Post 2349648)

Well, I think it is nasty, or at least unnecessary to say that a 14-year-old girl was dressed like she "had borrowed her dress from her grandmother", which more than one poster said in this thread.

As more than one poster has said, no one is criticizing Leonor, who almost certainly did not have 100% say whether she wanted to wear that dress — or not!

There is nothing nasty about factually pointing out it was unflattering in nearly all ways (color, cut, ornamentation, and style), or that it did unfortunately look more suited to Queen Sofia's taste. That's fashion. (Yaya Sofia also probably has tons of authentic vintage things Leonor could or will look great in.)

The Princess of Asturias is a lovely child. This is where we discuss whether her clothes (again, almost certainly not entirely by her choice) are reflecting that. Or not. Just the clothes. Not the girl inside them. Not just her. All the young royal ladies (and the boys, should they happen to wear anything of note). Right now she and her sister are walking the purple carpet.

HereditaryPrincess 10-18-2020 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prinsara (Post 2349654)
As more than one poster has said, no one is criticizing Leonor, who almost certainly did not have 100% say whether she wanted to wear that dress ó or not!

There is nothing nasty about factually pointing out it was unflattering in nearly all ways (color, cut, ornamentation, and style), or that it did unfortunately look more suited to Queen Sofia's taste. That's fashion. (Yaya Sofia also probably has tons of authentic vintage things Leonor could or will look great in.)

The Princess of Asturias is a lovely child. This is where we discuss whether her clothes (again, almost certainly not entirely by her choice) are reflecting that. Or not. Just the clothes. Not the girl inside them. Not just her. All the young royal ladies (and the boys, should they happen to wear anything of note). Right now she and her sister are walking the purple carpet.

Agree. I think this is being blown out of proportion. I do not like to criticise the younger childrenís outfits, but Leonor is getting of an age where she is wearing clothes from adult brands with more adult like appearances. As long as criticism is done constructively and left at the clothes themselves rather than the children (because I agree that would be nasty), I do not see a problem with it.

I canít speak for all posters who share the opinion that the dress looked like something from Queen Sofiaís closet, but when I made the observation I thought that in more of the style of THE DRESS itself rather than Leonor. And I would have said the same if any other royal were wearing it. Itís the clothes people are criticising, not Leonor.

PrincessofEurope 10-19-2020 04:33 AM

I think Leonor is at a difficult age to dress especially for more formal events - she is growing up but it can be a difficult stage to get the right balance between young girl and young adult.

On this occasion the outfit for the evening event at the PoA Awards didn't work - it was too straight, too dull and too old for her.

iceflower 10-19-2020 03:22 PM

Prince Jacques and Princess Gabriella at the 2nd International Pétanque Challenge of Prince Hereditaire Jacques of Monaco last weekend:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

janelarn 10-23-2020 09:30 AM

It is simply that in Spain, a 13-year-old girl does not wear heels.

janelarn 10-23-2020 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acdc1 (Post 2349182)
I don't love Leonor's dress. I usually like what both she and Sofia wear, but this looks a little dowdy and matronly for me, like something that her grandmother would be more likely to wear. I do like that she wore heels while Sofia wore flats... Sofia is quite tall and mature-looking, and I think she looks older in general than Leonor, so I wonder if this was a subtle way for Leonor to be the mature one tonight.

It is simply that in Spain, a 13-year-old girl does not wear heels.