The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royal Library (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f61/)
-   -   Finding Freedom: Harry and Meghan and the Making of A Modern Royal Family (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f61/finding-freedom-harry-and-meghan-and-the-making-of-a-modern-royal-family-47438.html)

Lumutqueen 05-04-2020 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pranter (Post 2312110)
A) They didn't pick the title. Even if the book is 'pro Sussex' so what? Not the first time a book is pro-member of the BRF. If it was negative about the Sussexes would that be more acceptable? That certainly seems to be indicated by the comments here.

C) This is another book in the long line of books about Royals which they may (or may not of, we don't know yet) have given an interview or been asked about something in the book. If they did give an interview it's nothing more than half of the BRF have already done.

A) If Meghan and Henry have had close ties to this book as have been claimed, then I would have fully expected them to sign off on every element of the book. Including the front cover picture and title.

C) For me, what makes this potentially different from other royals books, even just from the title alone. Is the claim of Modern Royals and the use of the word Freedom. Those aren’t phrases and words bounded out by the royal family too often, for good reason. If, the DM articles about the “tell all” nature of this book are true, then it does completely differ from any other royal biographer except for Mortons infamous expose.

ACO 05-04-2020 10:41 AM

The authors announced this on their social media today. This book started 2 years ago. It has been in production for a while. Also the authors make sure to say it is not an official biography nor endorsed by them. Also no interviews. They are two corespondents who seemingly decided after the engagement to write a book on their marriage journey. So yes it is like most these books out. Only difference people have issue with the author but that can be said for any of these books out here.

Lumutqueen 05-04-2020 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACO (Post 2312125)
This book started 2 years ago. It has been in production for a while. Also the authors make sure to say it is not an official biography nor endorsed by them. Also no interviews. They are two corespondents who seemingly decided before their marriage to write a book on their journey. Like most these books out.

Who says the book started 2 years ago? The book charts the couples relationship from the start apparently, doesn’t say the book started two years ago.

Omid, who has chosen to post, Carolyn has simply retweeted this information has also been very clear in saying “I’m looking forward to sharing much more about #FindingFreedom when our world is in a better place (and it will be[emoji172])”. They’ve announced now, because the listings have gone up and the press are talking about it.

Neither party (Scobie or Durand) confirm nor deny any interviews with the Sussexes.

ACO 05-04-2020 11:07 AM

Actually they did. Omid and Caroyln spoke to the Huffington Post. Also Omid spoke to Harper's Bazaar.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/megha...ushpmg00000004

https://www.harpersbazaar.com/cultur...ocialflowTWHBZ

Blog Real 05-04-2020 11:10 AM

I think this is the cover of this book:
https://www.hola.com/imagenes/realez...-portada-z.jpg

Muhler 05-04-2020 11:35 AM

Thank you ACO.

I think this is the most important part about this book I have seen yet:
"The aim of this book is to portray the real Harry and Meghan, a couple who continue to inspire many around the world through their humanitarian and charitable work but are often inaccurately portrayed,” the authors said in a joint statement.

The two added that their “mission has been motivated by a desire to tell an accurate version of their journey and finally present the truth of misreported stories that have become gospel simply because of the amount of times they have been repeated,” and signed off by thanking their sources.

The book is not an official or endorsed biography from the Duke and Duchess of Sussex. It also doesn’t claim to feature interviews with Meghan and Harry, though the two authors, particularly Scobie, are said to be extremely close to the Duke and Duchess of Sussex.
"

- My interest in this book has just fallen orders of magnitudes. Without direct quotes from H&M it's just another biased book about them. This time no doubt in a very positive light.
Was this a book about my own royal family I wouldn't waste money on it.

muriel 05-04-2020 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muhler (Post 2312138)
Thank you ACO.

"The aim of this book is to portray the real Harry and Meghan, a couple who continue to inspire many around the world through their humanitarian and charitable work but are often inaccurately portrayed,” the authors said in a joint statement.

The two added that their “mission has been motivated by a desire to tell an accurate version of their journey and finally present the truth of misreported stories that have become gospel simply because of the amount of times they have been repeated,” and signed off by thanking their sources.

The book is not an official or endorsed biography from the Duke and Duchess of Sussex. It also doesn’t claim to feature interviews with Meghan and Harry, though the two authors, particularly Scobie, are said to be extremely close to the Duke and Duchess of Sussex.
"

- My interest in this book has just fallen orders of magnitudes. Without direct quotes from H&M it's just another biased book about them. This time no doubt in a very positive light.

I suspect it will be little more than a hagiography!

Lumutqueen 05-04-2020 11:59 AM

Thoroughly Modern Royals:The Real World of Harry and Meghan

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACO (Post 2312130)
Actually they did. Omid and Caroyln spoke to the Huffington Post. Also Omid spoke to Harper's Bazaar.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/megha...ushpmg00000004

https://www.harpersbazaar.com/cultur...ocialflowTWHBZ

Thank you for providing links, confirming your statements. Seeing as your original post only mention the “reporters” social media, none of said information is including in their tweets.

This book is now just another biased, one sided sycophantic novel which will no doubt contain very little truth and a lot of supposition, IMO.

Fem 05-04-2020 12:07 PM

Quote:

Thank you ACO.

"

What I found the most interesting was this fragment:

Quote:

And just because there isn’t an official sign off from Harry and Meghan now doesn’t mean there might not be in the future. After many years of speculation, Andrew Morton revealed in 1997 that the main source for his 1992 biography of Princess Diana, called “Diana, Her True Story,” was the late royal herself. He admitted Diana’s involvement one month after she died in a 1997 car crash in Paris.
It's very "we can neither confirm nor deny". This, in addition to Omid Scobie being the author, really makes me think the Sussexes were consulted on this project.

Kataryn 05-04-2020 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Betsypaige (Post 2312078)
I just find it extremely hard to believe that Meghan had no idea of what to expect, that she entered into the marriage as an innocent. She’d been somewhat exposed to the lifestyle while she and Harry dated, and I have to assume he made it clear to her what she should expect.

Here I am not sure that Harrytold her what to expect of life as a Royal. He never seemed to fit in too well with them after all. And I'm not sure he was aware just how strong a woman she is. I still believe the queen and Charles were completely enarmoured by her and probably still "give her time" right now to come to her senses (and bring Harry back).

But the tabloids and their way to try to rip her one and bring her down was too much. She was not loved by the media and they let her know about it. IIRC they gave Diana 18 months before they focussed on her spending too much money, getting rid of staff she didn't like, not preparing enough for her Royal appointments and started to hit on her. And that had an impact of her marriage with Charles. Here now we have a woman who is loved by her husband, but the tabloid influence was surely felt as much as it was then and where Diana could not go as a young bride, Meghan could and take her husband with her.

I have no idea where Harry and Meghan will end up. Maybe they return into the Royal fold and work it out, even if it will be tough. Maybe they set up their own charity foundation and work their whole time there without appearing too much in the public. I still wish them a good ending and a happy ever after.

This book and the obnoxious title is grabbing at the current situation and trying to fit in with the story. I am not sure this is what Harry and Meghan need at the moment or even want. But (other than others here) I am not sure they are so involved. IMHO the idea of a book started out when the tabloids wrote all those lies abo9ut them and Scobie offered them a book where the situation could be rectified. And then all that stuff happened and the story got its own drive and now, IMHO, they have to live with what Scobie writes. And that is not good for them.

In a way, Harry is now set to fulfill the life his mother left when she died. Only he is Royal born, so could come back. We have seen just what kind of people Diana had to befriend in the last year of her life - let's hope Meghan and Harry have a better life in front of them.

Lumutqueen 05-04-2020 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fem (Post 2312148)

It's very "we can neither confirm nor deny". This, in addition to Omid Scobie being the author, really makes me think the Sussexes were consulted on this project.

What a good spot!

Muhler 05-04-2020 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fem (Post 2312148)

Oh, I'm sure they were.

But without quotes or an official okay from H&M, it's little better than an article by a hardcore fan of H&M uploaded on a blog.

What I think we can be very sure of is that this book will fire several broadsides at - well, insert your guess here...

This book will no doubt cause a lot of debate, also here, but without quotes from H&M, or comments/statements about the book or parts of the book by H&M it's worthless.

The only thing that could make it interesting is if named people very close to H&M say: I said this and that to H&M and they said this and that to me. And I said it on that specific day/occasion.

So H&M can claim plausible deniability of even pretty outrageous passages in the book and H&M detractors can argue forever that H&M simply must be behind XYZ stated in the book.
But as a factual reference, the book will be more than likely be worthless.

- Give me named quotes or it's hearsay, speculations and opinions.

Kataryn 05-04-2020 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muhler (Post 2312162)
Oh, I'm sure they were.

But without quotes or an official okay from H&M, it's little better than an article by a hardcore fan of H&M uploaded on a blog.

What I think we can be very sure of is that this book will fire several broadsides at - well, insert your guess here...

This book will no doubt cause a lot of debate, also here, but without quotes from H&M, or comments/statements about the book or parts of the book by H&M it's worthless.

The only thing that could make it interesting is if named people very close to H&M say: I said this and that to H&M and they said this and that to me. And I said it on that specific day/occasion.

So H&M can claim plausible deniability of even pretty outrageous passages in the book and H&M detractors can argue forever that H&M simply must be behind XYZ stated in the book.
But as a factual reference, the book will be more than likely be worthless.

- Give me named quotes or it's hearsay, speculations and opinions.

Now that reminds me of the Morton-book...

Osipi 05-04-2020 01:46 PM

Just one observation from me. It stands to logic that if, at this time, Omid Scobie (a co-author) is a Sussex "golden boy", there is no way he would even think to endanger his position right now publishing a book unless he was pretty secure in knowing there would be no backlash from the Sussexes over the book.

This is what tells me he's had the "all clear" to go ahead with the project. Simple.

I have to admit too that when I first read "Thoroughly Modern Royals", the movie "Thoroughly Modern Millie" with Julie Andrews flashed through my addled head. :biggrin:

Hallo girl 05-04-2020 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osipi (Post 2312183)
Just one observation from me. It stands to logic that if, at this time, Omid Scobie (a co-author) is a Sussex "golden boy", there is no way he would even think to endanger his position right now publishing a book unless he was pretty secure in knowing there would be no backlash from the Sussexes over the book.

This is what tells me he's had the "all clear" to go ahead with the project. Simple.
:

Oh you are so right, it is that simple.

ACO 05-04-2020 02:43 PM

If he is not spreading lies and attacking them -- why would they care? He not doing anything different from any of the other correspondents who have books out. Durant has actually said some unflattering things about Meghan and she is the co-author.

Muhler is right in that people will believe they had involvement whether they did or not but that doesn't change the fact it is not what most implied it was. It literally is another unofficial royal biography to add to the many already out and to come...

Betsypaige 05-04-2020 03:12 PM

Quote:

Thank you ACO.

"

The key to me is that the authors have a goal with this book, and it’s to correct any misrepresentations of H and M that they think have been repeated over and over again. So, clearly they are now coming into this book with a strong bias - unlike most successful biographies/non-fiction books. Personally, I believe I already know the story behind Megxit and events preceding it and succeeding it. I believe HM and Charles did what they could to help Harry, I believe they wanted to work something out for them, I believe H and M pulled a Veruca Salt : “I don’t care how, I want it now”. Any misunderstandings, IMO, will just be the self-centered POV of the Sussexes as defended by these two “reporters”.

Kataryn 05-04-2020 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Betsypaige (Post 2312208)
The key to me is that the authors have a goal with this book, and it’s to correct any misrepresentations of H and M that they think have been repeated over and over again. So, clearly they are now coming into this book with a strong bias - unlike most successful biographies/non-fiction books. Personally, I believe I already know the story behind Megxit and events preceding it and succeeding it. I believe HM and Charles did what they could to help Harry, I believe they wanted to work something out for them, I believe H and M pulled a Veruca Salt : “I don’t care how, I want it now”. Any misunderstandings, IMO, will just be the self-centered POV of the Sussexes as defended by these two “reporters”.

Oh, to be so sure to understand people you never even met...

Betsypaige 05-04-2020 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kataryn (Post 2312150)
Here I am not sure that Harrytold her what to expect of life as a Royal. He never seemed to fit in too well with them after all. And I'm not sure he was aware just how strong a woman she is. I still believe the queen and Charles were completely enarmoured by her and probably still "give her time" right now to come to her senses (and bring Harry back).

But the tabloids and their way to try to rip her one and bring her down was too much. She was not loved by the media and they let her know about it. IIRC they gave Diana 18 months before they focussed on her spending too much money, getting rid of staff she didn't like, not preparing enough for her Royal appointments and started to hit on her. And that had an impact of her marriage with Charles. Here now we have a woman who is loved by her husband, but the tabloid influence was surely felt as much as it was then and where Diana could not go as a young bride, Meghan could and take her husband with her.

I have no idea where Harry and Meghan will end up. Maybe they return into the Royal fold and work it out, even if it will be tough. Maybe they set up their own charity foundation and work their whole time there without appearing too much in the public. I still wish them a good ending and a happy ever after.

This book and the obnoxious title is grabbing at the current situation and trying to fit in with the story. I am not sure this is what Harry and Meghan need at the moment or even want. But (other than others here) I am not sure they are so involved. IMHO the idea of a book started out when the tabloids wrote all those lies abo9ut them and Scobie offered them a book where the situation could be rectified. And then all that stuff happened and the story got its own drive and now, IMHO, they have to live with what Scobie writes. And that is not good for them.

In a way, Harry is now set to fulfill the life his mother left when she died. Only he is Royal born, so could come back. We have seen just what kind of people Diana had to befriend in the last year of her life - let's hope Meghan and Harry have a better life in front of them.

If Harry wasn’t aware of how strong-willed Meghan is, then that tells me he rushed into marriage. Even if I concede your point about him being somewhat of a Royal misfit - which I’m not doing just yet - I still would find it impossible to believe that he wouldn’t have schooled her in what she could expect. If he didn’t, then aside from being foolish, he’d have been unfair to her.

I’m sure HM and Charles do care about Meghan - and, if those early reports are to be believed, Charles had a special relationship with her. That doesn’t mean they aren’t frustrated with her or find her difficult at times.....I don’t want to speculate much on that, but certainly they want Harry to be happy, and she makes him happy.

I loved Meghan and supported her early on - my posts in the H and M threads are testament to that. I agree that the media was vile - not everyone, but many, and often. She had every right to be angry, and if that’s what is driving her, I’d understand. What I don’t understand is her seeming upset at the BRF -and her and Harry’s almost disdain for them.

You could be right about the book - and if I’m wrong about the content, I will gladly admit it. I think a huge issue with them is that they have awful PR, so that whatever message they are trying to convey is getting lost.

Missjersey 05-04-2020 05:10 PM

They maybe didn’t pick the title or give a verbal authorization but the cynic in me thinks the nod of approval was given.

I blame Harry more for this whole fiasco (not meaning the book). To me, someone else “acted” their way straight up until they sealed the deal at the altar...