The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royal Library (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f61/)
-   -   Finding Freedom: Harry and Meghan and the Making of A Modern Royal Family (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f61/finding-freedom-harry-and-meghan-and-the-making-of-a-modern-royal-family-47438.html)

Betsypaige 08-04-2020 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denville (Post 2332134)
Why does it require a "deep knowledge of history"? Its really a puff piece, claiming that Meg and Harry are 2 free spirits who have escaped from the confines of royal tradition and the stuffy royal family (where they were not well treated) and that they are now going to make a new more modern royal couple in America...

An America that has never wanted Royalty....at least not post- Revolution

Betsypaige 08-04-2020 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 (Post 2332186)
I agree that Harry may have exaggerated how much his cousins liked Meghan. They love him and were very much invested in seeing him happy and settled at last. So my belief is that they were willing to welcome her for his sake.

However, it was reported that the PoW did develop genuine affection for Meghan and i believe that 100%. Which is why the idea that the Sussexes felt inadequate support from Clarence House confuses me.

What was the expectation from Harry and Meghan?

We saw it on the screen - not only did Charles walk her down the aisle, but he was very warm towards Doria...

I think they expected the BRF to go to war with the media over their treatment of Meghan.....expectations that were always unfair and unrealistic. The problem is that both H and M care way too much what people think; they read articles about themselves as well as comments on social media. For anyone in the public spotlight, that’s a bad idea.

poppy7 08-04-2020 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Betsypaige (Post 2332190)
We saw it on the screen - not only did Charles walk her down the aisle, but he was very warm towards Doria...

I think they expected the BRF to go to war with the media over their treatment of Meghan.....expectations that were always unfair and unrealistic. The problem is that both H and M care way too much what people think; they read articles about themselves as well as comments on social media. For anyone in the public spotlight, that’s a bad idea.

It is hideous. For not only famous people but anyone who works with the public. Meghan was too low key before. Not big enough to have anyone interested enough to criticise her. So she did what she wanted. Had TIG hoe she wanted. No one cared
When they put up about hand washing on Sussexroyal people practically ate them.

She just wanted adoration without scrutiny. Which to be honest he wants too. But also that isnt the career of an successful actress anyway because they always have reviews. But she hadn't even had that.

Heavs 08-04-2020 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 (Post 2332186)
I agree that Harry may have exaggerated how much his cousins liked Meghan. They love him and were very much invested in seeing him happy and settled at last. So my belief is that they were willing to welcome her for his sake.

However, it was reported that the PoW did develop genuine affection for Meghan and i believe that 100%. Which is why the idea that the Sussexes felt inadequate support from Clarence House confuses me.

What was the expectation from Harry and Meghan?

There did appear to be genuine affection on the part of both Charles and Meghan, although obviously a picture doesn't tell the whole story. Supporting her when her father was causing chaos was lovely. And the Queen also took her on a joint engagement early on and gave them both important jobs with an international outlook and there's been nothing particularly concrete in this book about why it crumbled beyond the petty and trivial even from people who say they've read the whole thing. That's partly what's confusing to me. Lightweight has many royal "tell alls" are I expected a bit more. Especially about the sudden announcement of it all.

Eugenie liked all the official "Happy Birthday" posts on Instagram but did not post anything publicly herself.

I don't necessarily expect them to sue over this just as I don't expect William and Kate to but I'd also expect a bit more of a reaction from these two if "Meghan in the bath" and "Harry and the Queen" had been completely made up. The former especially is too detailed and intimate to be anything other than from the source or fanfiction and if it's the latter then it's weird coming from one of their known biggest supporters in the press.

Lori138 08-04-2020 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duchess_Watcher (Post 2332136)
Is there anyone who actually believes this information did not come from Meghan, Harry or someone they fed this information to? I have a feeling it's Doria and it's someone Meghan would vent everything to. Omid is a good friend of Meghan, if anyone else wrote this book who wants to bet they'd sue them.

Yes, it seems there are several posters on here that believe that the information did not come from Meghan and Harry because Omid has said so. I guess in their world no one tells lies.

Pranter 08-04-2020 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lori138 (Post 2332198)
Yes, it seems there are several posters on here that believe that the information did not come from Meghan and Harry because Omid has said so. I guess in their world no one tells lies.

It's not just Omid there is a co-author, Carolyn, who from all accounts I've read is fairly well respected. Frankly no I don't go around assuming (without any past history or behavior indicating otherwise) someone lies when they say XYZ.

The other side of the coin is that there are many here who are almost gleeful in their decision to post the worst theories of The Sussexes. I don't understand it myself.



LaRae

Betsypaige 08-04-2020 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poppy7 (Post 2332191)
It is hideous. For not only famous people but anyone who works with the public. Meghan was too low key before. Not big enough to have anyone interested enough to criticise her. So she did what she wanted. Had TIG hoe she wanted. No one cared
When they put up about hand washing on Sussexroyal people practically ate them.

She just wanted adoration without scrutiny. Which to be honest he wants too. But also that isnt the career of an successful actress anyway because they always have reviews. But she hadn't even had that.

This is all true...Like you said, who ever was criticizing her ? She was pretty much unknown...a mediocre actress on a not popular show. I can’t imagine she was talked or written about then, so I doubt she was paranoid about that sort of thing...although I do believe she craved that kind of attention.

I don’t know why Harry cares so much...maybe because Meghan does. In any case, if they didn’t care, if they just did their thing, they wouldn’t have such silly and unrealistic expectations of the BRF feuding with the media. How does he not understand this?

Eskimo 08-04-2020 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denville (Post 2332072)
Even if they had nothing to do with it, I agree that they probably hoped it was from a favourable journalist and it would give a picture of them as two free spirits ready to lead a new life in the US and shaking off the shackles of the old fashioned UK Monarchy...
but it seems that they come across as silly, throwing fits about trivial things...

The answer is target markets.

The book is intended for the American audience, because that is where H&M want to build their “brand”. They come across as spoiled and petulant in the articles about the book in the UK media- I’m not sure it will play out that way in the US. They might come off as victims of the BRF and establishment, which will garner them the sympathy and help brand building— the whole point in broadcasting their side of the story.

ACO 08-04-2020 01:29 PM

We have no idea if Meghan is close to any of them but I have seen images of Eugenie and Beatrice hanging out with Misha and Benita (who are very close to Meghan). I also didn't Edo arrive with Harry and Meghan at Misha's wedding? So I wouldn't be surprised if they were friendlier to her than some think. But not that we would know either way unless we see them pop up in LA at some point post Covid.

Nico 08-04-2020 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pranter (Post 2332199)
The other side of the coin is that there are many here who are almost gleeful in their decision to post the worst theories of The Sussexes. I don't understand it myself.

LaRae

But you are so gleeful to rebuke them, so i guess it's well balanced :flowers:

ACO 08-04-2020 01:32 PM

It really is just different sides of the same coin...

Pranter 08-04-2020 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nico (Post 2332212)
But you are so gleeful to rebuke them, so i guess it's well balanced :flowers:

I am willing to call a spade a spade yes.


LaRae

Denville 08-05-2020 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eskimo (Post 2332202)
The answer is target markets.

The book is intended for the American audience, because that is where H&M want to build their “brand”. They come across as spoiled and petulant in the articles about the book in the UK media- I’m not sure it will play out that way in the US. They might come off as victims of the BRF and establishment, which will garner them the sympathy and help brand building— the whole point in broadcasting their side of the story.

I think its possible that the idea that they "didn't want to be old fashioned and stuffy royals, doing the bidding of the Palace and the older royals" might gain them some points in the US, when they also have the glamour of BEING part of a royal family.. But I dont know if its enough for people to pay large sums of money to them.

Denville 08-05-2020 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Betsypaige (Post 2332201)
This is all true...Like you said, who ever was criticizing her ? She was pretty much unknown...a mediocre actress on a not popular show. I can’t imagine she was talked or written about then, so I doubt she was paranoid about that sort of thing...although I do believe she craved that kind of attention.

I don’t know why Harry cares so much...maybe because Meghan does. In any case, if they didn’t care, if they just did their thing, they wouldn’t have such silly and unrealistic expectations of the BRF feuding with the media. How does he not understand this?

I think Harry craves attention too.. I've said this before, so wont repeat it but I think it wasn't such a big thing with him previously but it seemed to come out when he gradually started being a full time royal. Perhaps he's not aware of it.. but it may spring from his being a younger son.. or maybe from the trauma of his Mum's death? I don't know. I think that for many years he was mixed up by his mother's death but he suppressed it and according to himself was angry and unhappy. He probably buried himself in army life and having fun. Then he had therapy, tried to confront it but maybe he is actually more unhappy now that he's facing it and hasn't got the army to keep him so busy any more...
And I think the younger son factor has only begun to bite now in the past few years. HE can see that his grandmother is now very old, his father wil be king in due course. And William is now a mature man with a family and on the way to being POW. And he's realizing that he's not quite the young popular Harry any more.. but he wotn have the compensation of being King later...
..
Perhaps that's why he rushed itnto marriage with Meghan. She seemed to love him, she seemed happy with him and would make up for the loss of his mother and his "only being a second son"...and they'd have a family and be a still popular couple. But it didn't work out so well. She didn't get good press, he was still liked but I think it wasn't enough for him.. and when Meg was also unhappy, he got more wound up and miserable and angry.

Denville 08-05-2020 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Betsypaige (Post 2332183)
I disagree, especially with Meghan. From even when she was a little girl, she was acutely aware of inequality and actually persuaded a retail giant to change their commercials. That is not a bad thing in and of itself, but it IS when she chooses to get involved with the son of the future King. I do stand by my previous comments, although I will admit that in this regard, I think Harry likely just follows his wife.

Yeah most people are socialists when they are young.. but most people get less radical as they get older. I think that yes Harry (while he's not a card carrying Tory) just didn't think much about politics and didn't know much about them.. but Meghan has the "standard set of Democrat attitudes" and she's passed them on to hm. And maybe he reckons that now he's out of the RF, he can talk a bit more freely on these issues.
however with regard to Meghan, I think that (whatever she was like as a kid) nowadays, she may have some sincere desire to do some good, but - a lot of it is a bout the red carpet and ego gratifying nature of charity work. If they had really had a strong dislike of the inegalitarian nature of royalty, and had felt "we want to get out of here with all the grey men and rules and curtsies and so on... and do some real good for people in need".. they would have left, bought a house somewhere and lived on the income they had..and had a GREAT opportunity to do hands on good for the poor and needy...

Denville 08-05-2020 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heavs (Post 2332192)
There did appear to be genuine affection on the part of both Charles and Meghan, although obviously a picture doesn't tell the whole story. Supporting her when her father was causing chaos was lovely. And the Queen also took her on a joint engagement early on and gave them both important jobs with an international outlook and there's been nothing particularly concrete in this book about why it crumbled beyond the petty and trivial even from people who say they've read the whole thing. That's partly what's confusing to me. Lightweight has many royal "tell alls" are I expected a bit more. Especially about the sudden announcement of it all.

Eugenie liked all the official "Happy Birthday" posts on Instagram but did not post anything publicly herself.

Is.

No i don't think they'll sue whatever the truth is. I think they are realising now with the other case that suing doesn't end well a lot of the time and they might drop that case.
I think yes that Meg in the bath and Harry and the queen must have some basis in Omid being told by SOMONE some kind of a story about what happened. Its possible that Omid had ot use his imagination on the "how they felt about each other".. but not the Meg in the bath story! (I Think that in books about royals there's usually a bit of exercising imagination about "how the couple felt and how much they loved each other)
Re Charles etc. I think that he was prepared to like Meg, and may have started off liking her.. and hoping that she was a woman who could make Harry happy.. But I think that due to her family's having been so awful, and her father not turning up, the RF and Charles particularly HAD To be seen making a big effort to welcome her. She was in a new country, she wasnt used to royal life, and had not had time to make friends or a support system, so they had to be seen as welcoming her...)

I Don't know.. I sort of feel that Charles was friendly, hoped that this would be a good thing, for H and for the RF and was willing to welcome and befriend her and was glad that she seemed confident and outgoing.. but I can't imagine that the liking persisted very long.....
It does seem that within a short time, Meghan was (perhaps innocently) showing that she didn't understand how things were done and wasn't all that tactful in showing it and probably Harry got shirty, they withdrew and the RF also retreated from being very friendly...

Denville 08-05-2020 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Betsypaige (Post 2332190)
We saw it on the screen - not only did Charles walk her down the aisle, but he was very warm towards Doria...

I think they expected the BRF to go to war with the media over their treatment of Meghan.....expectations that were always unfair and unrealistic. The problem is that both H and M care way too much what people think; they read articles about themselves as well as comments on social media. For anyone in the public spotlight, that’s a bad idea.

It is a bit like Diana. Although it was more understandable that she should care what the press and public thought. But aides said that they told her not to read the papers but she did. And then started to try and manipulate her press image...

Betsypaige 08-05-2020 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eskimo (Post 2332202)
The answer is target markets.

The book is intended for the American audience, because that is where H&M want to build their “brand”. They come across as spoiled and petulant in the articles about the book in the UK media- I’m not sure it will play out that way in the US. They might come off as victims of the BRF and establishment, which will garner them the sympathy and help brand building— the whole point in broadcasting their side of the story.

As far as I can tell, no one in the States gives a bleep about Harry, Meghan or the book. Of course they have their fans, but they’re just segments on Entertainment Tonight; even in better days, they were never making the evening news or headlines. H and M are completely irrelevant, not that they were ever relevant even in the best of circumstances. Their fans will buy the book, but why would anyone else want to read a book that is essentially a list of complaints by rich, entitled people who live off of their celebrity “friends”?

Betsypaige 08-05-2020 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denville (Post 2332328)
Yeah most people are socialists when they are young.. but most people get less radical as they get older. I think that yes Harry (while he's not a card carrying Tory) just didn't think much about politics and didn't know much about them.. but Meghan has the "standard set of Democrat attitudes" and she's passed them on to hm. And maybe he reckons that now he's out of the RF, he can talk a bit more freely on these issues.
however with regard to Meghan, I think that (whatever she was like as a kid) nowadays, she may have some sincere desire to do some good, but - a lot of it is a bout the red carpet and ego gratifying nature of charity work. If they had really had a strong dislike of the inegalitarian nature of royalty, and had felt "we want to get out of here with all the grey men and rules and curtsies and so on... and do some real good for people in need".. they would have left, bought a house somewhere and lived on the income they had..and had a GREAT opportunity to do hands on good for the poor and needy...

I’m a Democrat, so I’m sure I probably agree with her on most things, but yes, I’m sure that’s true about Harry feeling like he’s been freed to some degree. Though, personally I can’t take him seriously anymore as I find him self-righteous and hypocritical...not to mention annoying.

I agree with your last point. I’ve said it before, they’re so desperate for privacy that they left the quiet of Canada for the paparazzi capital of LA, specifically Beverly Hills? For those saying that Doria is there, they could have moved anywhere in the area, not BH. I think Harry and Meghan also wanted to be around their celebrity friends.....for many reasons.

Lee-Z 08-05-2020 06:41 AM

For some reason i keep seeing a Hollywood mini-series in the making...
"The Crown: Finding Freedom"


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises